What are you eating today? (v4)

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: What are you eating today? (v4)

Postby icelesley » August 23rd, 2017, 10:25 am

Breakfast: Fresh orange segments then Almond oats and more cereal and milk

Lunch: Turkey and tomato sandwich thin

Dinner: Slimming World recipe all day breakfast (leftovers for breakfast tomorrow as usual) followed by a raspberry yoghurt
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby Rocky » August 23rd, 2017, 10:36 am

Leo is :chops:

Monday was salmon and Baggie noodles. We were at a reception last night and I had a few canapés - the highlight being mini veg quiche. Picked up some noodles on the way home. OH goes to Hing Kong tomorrow for nearly three weeks :( so we were going to have a tomato olive fish dish he loves but he has been sick all night with what is probably something food related so not sure. I have leftover noodles for lunch - that is a lot of noodles so far this week.....
Rocky
Registered

Postby EmWilk » August 23rd, 2017, 8:26 pm

Thanks Rocky. I feel for you being in your own for 3 weeks :(

Today, ibthink I've started with a cold so I feel a bit tosh.
I had fruit n nut mini weetabix for breakfast.
Cereal bar mid morning.
Chip butty for lunch :oops:
Had a crumpet and an apple with Leo when I got home.
Can't think of anything I want for tea. Well, I probably could but I just cannot be bothered with making anything. Don't really need anything I guess. Maybe a cuppa in bed while I carry on working :rolleyes: :cry:
EmWilk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 23rd, 2017, 8:35 pm

Toast and Marmit
Couple of plums and an apple
Bacon sarnie
Ice cream :oops:
Hunters chicken with veg
Stuffed
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » August 24th, 2017, 10:58 am

NAF but I need a quick vent!! Our extension build is causing me so much stress! One of our next door neighbours has decided he's going to contest our build (he was fine about it at the planning stage and nothing has changed in the plans). We involved the neighbours very early on to make sure everyone was happy with it - out of courtesy as the extension itself doesn't affect anyone else in the slightest. He's now threatening to try to get planning permission to build a garage between our houses so that we can't access our back garden in some kind of retribution :? Also making threats along the lines of "I hope you have thousands of pounds if I take you to court". AND to top it off, when he hammered on the door yesterday and I answered, he demanded to speak "to the man of the house" :evil: :evil: He's such a twit. To make matters worse a skip driver has just knocked down part of our other neighbours dry stone wall :cry: Thank goodness they are lovely people and are unfazed as it's being rebuilt now!!

Goodness me, i'll be having a glass of wine tonight :D

Not remotely hungry for lunch so I may just have a coffee and possibly an apple.

Not sure about dinner...there are meatballs in the freezer so we might have those with spaghetti.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 24th, 2017, 11:25 am

An awkward situation OMCO but sounds like you remained calm. Good idea about the wine! :tu:
Breakfast today was some small slices of Brie on top of toast, Marmite, a few cherry tomatoes, baked beans served with brown sauce and a pot of Earl Grey.
I have just made a blackberry and apple crumble and will have some for lunch with raspberry ripple ice cream and black coffee.
I am on the last knockings of food before shopping tomorrow. I have lots of veggie samosas in the freezer so may cook some of those with mango chutney answering a cold beer later.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 24th, 2017, 11:34 am

OMCO :hug:
Keep detailed records of all threats and speak to a solicitor if he doesn't calm down pronto

I'd have hit him if he'd asked to speak to "the man of the house" :oops: (either that or offered him a séance as my OH is long dead) :lol:

Breakfast was fruit, yogurt granola
Dunno what else I want
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby EmWilk » August 24th, 2017, 10:16 pm

StokeySue wrote:(either that or offered him a séance

That made me chuckle :lol: . OMCO, I'd have been fuming, there is no way I could've remained calm at that! Some people have nothing better to do with their time! I think you should have a nice big party when your extension is finished!

Today, I had crumpets for breakfast - such a stressful morning trying to get ready whilst that youngster is clambering everywhere insisting he can walk when he can't :lol: I had a cereal bar mid morning.
Lunch was a tuna baguette from greggs and a jam donut :oops:
Tea was tuna steak with roasted cubed potatoes and garlicky, tomatoey green beans. The tuna was a bit rubbish actually :(
EmWilk
Registered

Postby Catherine » August 24th, 2017, 10:33 pm

EmWilk wrote:such a stressful morning trying to get ready whilst that youngster is clambering everywhere insisting he can walk when he can't I had a cereal bar mid morning.

Consider yourself lucky. My Nephew was fully walking at 9 months and 1 week. It was utter hell
Catherine
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 24th, 2017, 11:00 pm

Tonight I had a sloppy mess of fried egg, peas, mash and baked beans. Never again. It at least needed a crispy texture in there such as chips instead of (leftover) mash or veggie sausage instead of beans. You live and learn.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 24th, 2017, 11:12 pm

Well I nibbled on an apple and some experimental flat bread and ate a few falafel, then went out and had lamb rogan josh, poppadums and garlic naan in Wetherspoons

Tomorrow is another day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Rocky » August 25th, 2017, 1:49 am

OMCO :hug: :hug:

Well my lovely OH has gone :cry: so had some roasted veggies with a random sausage for dinner. Then discovered a liqueur cho leftover from ages ago. Don't like chocolate but fancied the boozy bit :oops:

I have lovely friends. One has asked me for lunch tomorrow and another for dinner. Have had the dinner menu - she has just discovered bread baking so starter is either bruschetta or gazpacho. Main is goat cheese salad on a crouton. Don't mean to be unkind but low expectations re food. ..... Just delighted to be looked after!
Rocky
Registered

Postby icelesley » August 25th, 2017, 8:28 am

Breakfast: Fresh orange segments then Almond oats and more cereal and milk

Lunch: Ham and cheese toasty.

Dinner: either fish chips and peas or bought in Morrisons Best fish pie :chops: and steamed mixed veg followed by a raspberry yoghurt
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 25th, 2017, 7:45 pm

I just made an impromptu lemony, garlicky pasta with goats curd , toasted pine nuts and time, serve with lots of black pepper an grated parmesan. I used a combination of lemon zest and lemon oil which I bought in Umbria for the lemon aspect of it. It was rather nice.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » August 26th, 2017, 5:43 am

Mmmmm Herb, that does sound good.

A small crust of Polish sourdough bread with P nut butter for brekkie

End of the fish soup for lunch

Tartiflette & salad for supper then a naughty piece of choky cheesecake for sweet.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 26th, 2017, 9:16 am

It;s not so much what I'm eating today as for the rest of the week.
Today i s wild mushroom omelette for lunch and Lyonnaise chicken followed by roasted peaches for supper.

Tomorrow is the day the family arrive and it is also D_I_L's birthday AND she is the vegetarian one with the two children who don't eat vegetables. So:

Bithday meal is to be lots of nibbly bits including melon and silk weavers brains. made yesterday for our visitors. Soupe au pistou for the main with optional pasta for the kids with fougase. Cheese then the birthday cake ordered from the same patisserie who made mine.

On Monday, for the meat eaters a beef pave, little spuds done in foil with Olive oil and rosemary and a huge tub of ratatouille. There are Mexican style veggie burgers for those who prefer. Pudding is to be passionfruit and lychee Pavlova. They can make their own pizzas for lunch.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Rocky » August 27th, 2017, 1:21 am

Sounds lovelyRats.

Well - I feel bad about being negative about last nights's food. Simple but lovely. Long run this morning and felt a bit sick so no real brekkie afterwards. Met a lovely friend at midday at the beach and we shared a bottle of prosecco, some sausage rolls (despite her jack Russell insisting they were his) and some hummus. It was one of the nicest afternoons I have had for ages. Dinner has been a bit random. Roasted a sweet potato, an aubergine and a fennel bulb and swirled in a spoon of pesto. Was actually :chops:

Am meeting another chum for a run at 6 tomorrow so probably should eat something more substantial tomorrow.
Rocky
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 27th, 2017, 3:23 pm

I don't often post on here as I am generally cooking just for myself and food can be a bit uninspiring, however today I roasted a leg of lamb - and... it .... was ...a .... great.... success ;) :bounce: :chops: :chef: I was torn between either slow or pressure cooking in my Instant Pot, but was advised to try JO's way of roasting in the oven directly on one of the shelves. It was a British lamb leg, so I knew it would roast well and wasn't wrong. JO gives a recipe for a rub of chopped rosemary and garlic with grated lemon rind and OO ... WOW!! it was so delicious, I am having to stop myself from going into the kitchen to dive into some more. I also did crushed baby new potatoes with garlic and oil and a mix of roasted Mediterranean style veg (fennel, onion, courgette) and griddles asparagus... Oh my, this is definitely on the must-do-again list :hi5:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Rocky » August 27th, 2017, 3:25 pm

Sounds fabulous Pats. I can't decide what to have today and having read your post, everything is going to seem a bit boring!
Rocky
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 27th, 2017, 10:33 pm

This weekend's eating has gone a bit awry.
Yesterday was half a pizzza at Mercato thingy at the Elephant. (The whole thing is looking jaded now. I don't think it will last too much longer. A lot of the stalls just didn't have what they offered.)
Sage and pumpkin ravioli for dinner, then Sainsbury's morello cherry bakewellish tart with cream

Today
Silly junky mozzarella balls with dips in a pub in East Dulwich. Not what I wanted. At home a posh fudge yog from M&S
Dinner was also not what I was after. A shared cheese plate at a newish place in Crystal Palace. Most of the menu turned out not available in the evening alas but we didn't want to walk out. Good cheese, though, from the cheese shop across the road with which it is a joint venture. The waiter seemed a bit miffed that I didn't want to drink booze.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » August 28th, 2017, 9:48 am

We're on leftovers today. We made a fish pie on Saturday night and roasted a chicken yesterday and there's lots left. Plus some cooked leftover stilton sausages and some garlic roasted romanesco cauliflower. I'm not really sure what we'll do with it all but some form of lunch will be created out of it!

I made stock with the chicken carcass and added chilli, curry leaf and lemongrass as well as the usual stock ingredients. We'll turn it into a soup tonight with coconut milk, noodles and leftover chicken.

OH was talking about making crème brulee too if we fancy dessert.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » August 28th, 2017, 10:55 am

Scone and honey for me, mandrin and lime marmalade for immindoors.

Saus. & mini burgers, sweet corn, salad, tatos for lunch

Left overs for supper - one tortilla, a scrapuling of ratatouille, some cheeses
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 28th, 2017, 10:54 pm

Toast for breakfast
Bits and pieces for lunch while cooking meze
Chilli, corn in the cob, avocado salad, Yorkshire blue cheese and crackers for dinner
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby EmWilk » August 29th, 2017, 8:02 pm

Catherine wrote:Consider yourself lucky. My Nephew was fully walking at 9 months and 1 week. It was utter hell

I can imagine! This little tiger is just finding his feet now!

Not updated for a few days. Friday was clearly fantastic food as I can remember any of it :rolleyes: Oh, I tell a lie, I organised a platter of really nice sandwiches and crisps and soups as I had an external visitor.
Oh, now I remember, I had a migraine in the afternoon so by the time I got home I was sick and in bed.

Saturday morning I was off to Birmingham with the girls, still not quite 100%. I had half a tomato and mozzarella panini at the services Starbucks en route.
Felt better by the time we got there. We went for a late lunch and I had, garlic cheesy mushrooms and some of my friends calamari and then steak and chips.
In the evening we went to an outdoor screening of grease and had some peanut m&m's. After that and a drink or 2, we were all starving so we got veggie pizzas and chips and ate them in the hotel lounge.

Sunday morning the usual 3 course breakfast which is obligatory when staying away :lol: fruit, pastries, then bits off the cooked buffet.
Pistachio ice cream which was suspiciously almond flavoured :evil:
Got home and we got take away... I had a falafel wrap which was pants but the fries were nice.
Very feverish and achey with a sore throat to boot so early night was had.

Monday... felt like death warmed up. I had a cup of tea but that's all.
Couple of paracetamol and I had to get out of the house so I went into town with Leo. Saw my mum and her OH there so joined them for lunch... halloumi skewers which were SO salty that they were inedible.
Tea last night was noodles with peppers and green beans, dressed with soy, chilli oil and sesame oil and then topped with a fried egg.

Again today... very feverish, I was sweating so much, I couldn't even think about make up :lol:
Half a piece of toast was all I could muster and a lemsip.
Lunch was chicken noodle soup (supposedly) which was so spicy and full of coriander. The place we get these homemade soups from is like an average sandwich shop but owned by 3 Asian ladies so the soups are always really different, often lentil based and absolutely delicious. I would normally love it but couldn't manage more than a couple of slurps today.
OH has just made us scrambled egg on toast for tea.
Lemsip and bed after a catch up on a few emails I think!
EmWilk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 30th, 2017, 9:30 am

Yesterday I had a banana, a couple of white chocolate and lemon biscuits
an avocado, red pepper tapenade, olive and spinach Prêt sandwich, some posh feta with a drizzle of garlic and rosemary oil (I was hungry)
a strawberry yoghurt
dinner was two very lightly (literally just a smear of olive oil) fried eggs on homemade chipotle cornbread, with some bottled caponata (note to self, try to master this) on the side. Then a very greedy person’s portion (it needed eating up) of Morello cherry Bakewellish slice
In my defence, I had very little to eat on Monday and got rather hypoglycemic, but I shouldn’t have had that much sugar.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » August 30th, 2017, 10:18 am

We met family at the pub yesterday evening in the sunshine and we ordered a big antipasti platter board for the three of us to share. It had the usual cured meats, pate, salad and bits and bobs but also an unusual version of arancini which had been made with blacksticks blue cheese. Really nice actually.

Toast with F&M's strawberry and champagne jam this morning :chops: , plus a plum.

Lunch might have to be the salmon and rice salad box from pret.

Dinner will possibly be an omelette or frittata with a rocket salad. There are loads of tomatoes, bits of cheese and some excellent Gloucester old spot bacon which will be incorporated. We have some nice orange and poppy seed tiny shortbread biscuits to have afterwards too if we have a cup of tea after dinner. If we decide on a glass of wine then I wont bother with a biscuit :D
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » August 30th, 2017, 11:11 am

Push the boat out and have both OMCO.!! :D :D
I'm doing a lot of night shifts at th,r moment, so when I finished work on Monday morning, treated myself to a cooked breakfast at a local cafe. Fried eggs, bacon, sausage, fried bread, hash brown and beans. Not overly impressed, but then I always feel the way with fry ups. The anticipation is great but the end result is never that good.Monday night was a huge sirloin steak cooked rare with a large mixed salad with Caesar dressing. Yesterday , dinner was a portion of chilli with added chorizo with a jacket potato and cheese.
Today, finished another night shift , but didn't have my coat with me, so got soaked on the way home. Stopped off for a large hot chocolate on the way to warm myself up. Brunch was a couple of pieces of eggy bread with warmed strawberries and some gorgeous thick vanilla yoghurt. Dinner tonight is going to be an easy al, in one from Nigellas Italian book. Chicken thighs,sausages,rosemary,garlic,lemon and diced baking potatoes cooked together in a roasting dish. Pro ably have with peas and roasted cherry tomatoes
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 30th, 2017, 3:52 pm

banana for breakfast
2 biscuits again!
vegetarian paella for lunch
out tonight so will probably just have a bit more cornbread and butter when I get in.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » August 30th, 2017, 4:57 pm

Eggy bacon and a mix of brown roll and an olive ciabatta for brekkie

Tomato ciabatta slices for lunch with slices of mozzarella and GH tomato for lunch

Stuffed vegetables for supper with some of this cracked wheat and BBQ'd onions.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 30th, 2017, 5:00 pm

Went to visit friends over night
We all met in Syria so I took a Syrian style meze
We had
Hummus
Baba ganoush
Cheese borek
Olives and pickled things (from Turkish Food Centre)
Fatoush
Pide (from local Anatolian bakery)
Spiced lamb (cheat as the recipe is from Persiana but it worked)
Vernicelli rice
Yogurt sauce (tsatsiki)
There was some baklava but strangely we didn't need it

All made by me
http://syrianfoodie.blogspot.co.uk

Today small bowl of porridge
Burger with chips and coleslaw at a garden centre cafe with the friends

Not sure about supper, just had a bit of Turkish Delight
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » August 30th, 2017, 5:06 pm

OMCO have just clocked your nasty neighbour dilemma hope it pans out OK, We have had similar with the next door witch, (he is fine, but ruled by her) over planning. We got what planning we wanted, she made herself (and OH) look a twat. Parish council think she is bonkers, we know she is........! Hope you manage to finish your plans and live happily in them. There are some wicked and green envious individuals out there.....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Catherine » August 30th, 2017, 6:22 pm

OneMoreCheekyOne wrote:Dinner will possibly be an omelette or frittata with a rocket salad. There are loads of tomatoes, bits of cheese and some excellent Gloucester old spot bacon which will be incorporated.

I can't help but think cooking the bacon separately with grilled tomatoes and perfectly cooked scrambled or poached eggs would do the bacon more justice.
Catherine
Registered

Postby Rocky » August 31st, 2017, 1:14 am

StokeySue wrote:Went to visit friends over night
We had
Hummus
Baba ganoush
Cheese borek
Fatoush
Vernicelli rice
Yogurt sauce (tsatsiki)

All made by me
http://syrianfoodie.blogspot.co.uk

Today small bowl of porridge
Burger with chips and coleslaw at a garden centre cafe with the friends

Not sure about supper, just had a bit of Turkish Delight

Sounds delicious. I grew up in a place called Ras Al Khaimah - two hours (but a million miles) from Dubai and there were stacks of Syrian restaurants so envious of your feast.

On Sunday I made chicken breast stuffed with sun dried toms and olives and wrapped in bacon cooked on cherry toms. But as I still felt sick didn't eat it. Made for a marvelous work lunch on Monday. Dinner was mahi with some of the Tom olive mixture pressed on and some mini cubed spuds. Tuesday lunch I had forgotten that a colleague had asked if she could try out a roti recipe she wanted to sell. I had brought my lunch (boring salad) so saved the roti for the evening. Fortunately realised quite quickly it wasn't great so extracted the filling and made a sort of Singapore style noodles with that and stack of veg. Dinner tonight has been toad in the hole with a mound of brocolli.

OH has been gone a week. Two to go although a potential hurricane has formed and has its sights on us so he will come home early if it looks like it might hit. Sounds overly cautious but we were in Cayman when hurricane Ivan hit as a category five and lost everything and had no power for three months. Very unlikely to happen again to us but we have a very health respect for weather now :shock: Sorry - too much whittering. Obviously missing the boy!
Rocky
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » August 31st, 2017, 8:31 am

Zosherooney wrote:OMCO have just clocked your nasty neighbour dilemma hope it pans out OK, We have had similar with the next door witch, (he is fine, but ruled by her) over planning. We got what planning we wanted, she made herself (and OH) look a twat. Parish council think she is bonkers, we know she is........! Hope you manage to finish your plans and live happily in them. There are some wicked and green envious individuals out there.....

Thank you! He's gone quiet for the last few days. Although apparently he called the police on the neighbours on the other side of him (he REALLY hates them)...the police told him off for time wasting. We're just keeping our heads down and avoiding him as much as possible! I've got enough on my plate without dealing with his issues. Hope you don't have any more trouble with your neighbours!

Catherine wrote:I can't help but think cooking the bacon separately with grilled tomatoes and perfectly cooked scrambled or poached eggs would do the bacon more justice.
OH got back late in the end so we just had a bacon sandwich! You're right - the bacon was better like that :tu:

Sue, your Syrian meze sounds great.

Breakfast this morning was a rushed bowl of cornflakes. Lilia had a tantrum because her Weetabix had 'melted' and refused to wear anything but a fairy outfit and declared her new toothpaste "spicy" and had a tantrum over that. Then I did her hair wrong and she cried over that. She didn't want me just daddy...until it was time for me to leave for work and then she cried uncontrollably, grabbed fistfuls of my hair and wouldn't let go as she didn't want me to leave. Loving the 2.5 yr old stage right now :shock: :D

I didn't have time to make any lunch so will grab something out.

Dinner will involve using up some coconut milk and a lime. I might make the coconut and lime chicken dish from the BBC website and have it with rice.

Hope you avoid the hurricane Rocky! :hug:
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 31st, 2017, 11:46 am

StokeySue wrote:Went to visit friends over night
We had
Hummus
Baba ganoush
Cheese borek
Fatoush
Vernicelli rice
Yogurt sauce (tsatsiki)

All made by me

You'd be very welcome to come and stay with me any time you like if you bring that kind of food along :tu: .. my friends generally bring flowers and/or wine ! ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Rocky » September 1st, 2017, 8:18 pm

Well. Last night the storm upgraded to a category 3 hurricane and looked like a direct hit here as a category 4. OH changed his flights today to arrive back on Monday (way early - yay!) and now the storm looks like it will go north. Could still potentially be dangerous so very pleased he will be here. It is due in the region on Wednesday.

Anyway last night I defrosted some prawns and had a prawn noodle dish. There are some prawns to use up so thinking about a risotto tonight although just had a post work drink with a colleague and ate half their chips so not that hungry... :oops:
Rocky
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » September 2nd, 2017, 10:23 am

Mr. Z arrived home with a HUGE stash of Waitrose food !!!!!!! So we had crispy prawns and sweet chilli dipping sos. Smoked cod in a cheese sos, with carrot and tato mash and broccoli then an hour later, strawberries and yoghurt with honey. Most of his stash went into my overspill DF. We won't need to visit town for many weeks !

Brekkie today was croissants, rhubarb and custard danish, apple danish and fresh fruit salad.

Salad leftovers for lunch and other leftovers for supper and the end of the S'berries & Yog. if needed.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby EmWilk » September 2nd, 2017, 10:54 am

Emma, Lilia's tantrum sounds hilarious but I'm feeling the stress just reading it!

Rocky I'm so glad your OH is coming home AND that hurricane looks like it will miss. Good luck, I hope you manage to avoid any major damage.

Wednesday, I made a pea and green beans risotto with panko'd pork fillet medallions.

Thursday, we had mushroom chow mein and sesame prawn toast from the Chinese.

Yesterday, a lot of people were off work for Eid so I arranged biryani (from a non Muslim owned place) for everyone else... delicious it was too.
I went to pick the boy up from my dad and he's made my tea which was a bonus! A very spicy chicken stir fry with noodles.

Today, I've shared fruit and toast with youngest Kav.
I think I might go back to the biryani place and get us samosa chaat and masala dosa for lunch :drool:

On my own this evening so am debating tea. I have sooo much work to do so will have to crack on with that once the boy's in bed.
EmWilk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 3rd, 2017, 5:07 pm

Weirdly, my diet has been what I associate with male students (my husband before we got together, essentially) lately, so too embarrassed to list. But today, I made a bit more effort (at a balanced meal) and for lunch I had:
gazpacho - it was a bought one, which I bought because I could. (One doesn't see it often.) Waitrose. Quite nice. A little spicy with lots of small-chopped veg in it.
With this I had pave bread with home smoked butter.
Then I had some baked London halloumi with a drizzle of a little lemon oil, and lots of black pepper.
And then I had (Waitrose) raspberry and treacle tart with cream.

Everything (apart from the bread and possibly the butter, and oil) was slightly out of date - I have not yet got used to shopping for one - so if I don't post for a while... ;)

I was going to make mushroom strogonoff for dinner with soured cream that was on offer, so probably also past it's date, but the mushrooms had gone too far. Perhaps I will buy some more and make it tomorrow. Note to self: do not buy fresh things in advance. Problem with this is that it limits me a bit, only having a car every other weekend (the better shops take an age to get to by public transport.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Rocky » September 3rd, 2017, 5:34 pm

Thanks EmWilk - very envious of all of your lovely Indian food.

Unfortunately the hurricane has had a wobble - in the wrong direction so we are now forecast to be only 60 miles from the eye on Wednesday. Yikes! So have been eating from the freezer as we will almost certainly lose power for a couple of days. Last night I had flattened chicken breast in Parmesan breadcrumbs with stacks of veg. I also cooked up all the raw mince we had on the basis we will be able to eat it if there is a long power cut but if it is uncooked I will have to bin it. So I made a sort of ragu with half and a keema with the other half. Have had a Jamaican patty with salad for lunch and I think dinner will feature meatballs - we have loads! Have also made a stock from all the various bones that were in the freezer but will save that for dinner tomorrow night with OH when I will turn it into a noodle soup. SO pleased he will be here if / when the storm hits......
Rocky
Registered

Postby Catherine » September 3rd, 2017, 6:46 pm

Herbidacious wrote:but the mushrooms had gone too far. Perhaps I will buy some more and make it tomorrow. Note to self: do not buy fresh things in advance. Problem with this is that it limits me a bit, only having a car every other weekend (the better shops take an age to get to by public transport.)

Invest in some green bags. I use them for veggies, salads and fruit and they really do significantly prolong their life
Catherine
Registered

Postby Luca » September 4th, 2017, 4:52 pm

I'll be thinking of you Rocky. Thank goodness OH will be home with you, eating from the freezer. :hug:
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby Herbidacious » September 4th, 2017, 7:00 pm

Catherine wrote:
Invest in some green bags. I use them for veggies, salads and fruit and they really do significantly prolong their life

Good idea. I do work near a market though that has two fruit and veg stalls so I should also try to buy when the need arises.

I bought mushrooms but decided to use up some mozzarella that was... past it's use by date. I had penne with a garlicky tomato sauce made with a bottle of this stuff:

Capture.PNG

I saw it and coveted it in Italy a few weeks ago, and bought some at the Mercato place in the Elephant, the weekend before last (for a silly price.)

I added oregano and tiny capers and tossed the mozzarella in it at the end. Served with grated parmesan. Simple and easy, but tasty.

oh lunch was a veggie nacho bake at the Three Kings. (Vegetable chilli, topped with nachos, topped with melted cheese, and served with generous dollops of guacamole and soured cream.)

edit: oh and apple cake made by a colleague for another colleague's birthday, later afternoon.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby EmWilk » September 4th, 2017, 7:11 pm

Saturday night was breaded pork fillet with roasted cubed potatoes, roasted cherry toms and some green beans.

Sunday we went out for breakfast to a nice new (for breakfast) place. I had a cooked breakfast and Leo had a bit of most... tomatoes, sausage, egg dipped toast, mushroom as well as his yoghurt and fruit. And he'd had a crumpet en route to breakfast place :oops:

Nothing until the evening for me and OH fancied curry so curry we got.

Today, toast for breakfast.
A jacket potato with tuna and a soup for lunch.
I'm debating tea... I think a quick version of pork bulgogi with rice and veg. Bit late now really...
EmWilk
Registered

Postby Rocky » September 4th, 2017, 11:38 pm

Luca wrote:I'll be thinking of you Rocky. Thank goodness OH will be home with you, eating from the freezer. :hug:

Thank you Luca. I feel so lucky as OH got the last flight in. The airport has now shut and they are saying we are to expect 'catastrophic conditions' . We are to expect winds of 130-150 miles an hour (that is the kind of stuff that tears the roof off a place) and 20 inches of rain. We are scared! Back to food, we are well stocked with HM ready meals and un perishables. They say to have three gallons of water per person for 3 days. I have twice that. Sorry - distracted from food again. See you on the other side......
Rocky
Registered

Postby Catherine » September 5th, 2017, 1:44 am

:hug: Good luck Rocky. Hope that you get through unscathed.
Catherine
Registered

Postby EmWilk » September 5th, 2017, 8:19 am

Good luck Rocky... :hug:
EmWilk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » September 5th, 2017, 9:17 am

Thinking of you Rocky... :hug: :hug:

I imagine even you can't out-run this one... :luv:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 5th, 2017, 9:42 am

Rocky I too will be thinking of you. Very scary to have a hurrricane heading your way. I know from experience. You do seem to be as prepared as it is possible to be. Glad your OH got back!

Since the family went we have been eating up what was left!
We were out on Sunday.
Yesterday we had Eggs Benedict for lunch followed by sliced of melon and watermelon.
Last night I did a Moroccan vegetabel stew with fruity cous cous and a blueberry crumble afterwards.

Today it is to be goat's cheese and beetroot salad for lunch and cottage pie for supper -Mr R asked for nursery food :rolleyes: and the rest of the crumble.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 5th, 2017, 10:43 am

Rocky, good luck for tomorrow and the hurricane...
Herbidacious
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop