What are you eating today? (v4)

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: What are you eating today? (v4)

Postby Herbidacious » February 25th, 2018, 6:25 pm

Yesterday I had a butternut squash stew thing with rather odd bone-white dumplings out for lunch, plus some (allegedly sourdough) bread with rock hard 'whipped garlic butter'!
dinner was sausages and baked beans with cheese. Student fodder!
today: halloumi pide for lunch
not sure what to have for dinner. It may just be sticky toffee pudding! Husband bought be one while I was very ill and wasn't really eating and it now needs eating up. Can't really have that and a first course... :(
I am having lunch with a friend at the Lamb's Conduit St. branch of La Fromagerie tomorrow :) edit: I just looked at the menu. I am quite excited about this!

edit 2: I gave into gluttony and had welsh rarebit spread (bought from Sainsbury's) on toast with Maille honey mustard. Delicious. And then STP and posh custard. I have, alas, now eaten too much.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Catherine » February 25th, 2018, 9:28 pm

Herbidacious wrote:. I have, alas, now eaten too much

No way girl. Restorative food - you go for it :hug:
Catherine
Registered

Postby Rocky » February 25th, 2018, 9:32 pm

Yesterday was a boring tuna and sweet corn salad for lunch watching the rugby. Dinner was very thin breaded minute steaks with a chunky spicy tomato sauce and brocolli. Met some friends for lunch and had my usual chickn curry. The others all had the special of prawn and chorizo gumbo - I did remind OH that we have planned chorizo and butter beans with mahi tonight but....
Rocky
Registered

Postby EmWilk » February 25th, 2018, 10:27 pm

Thursday, I probably skipped breakfast most likely.
Lunch was leftover pasta.
Dashed off to Formby Hall in the evening for a spa break. We (eventually) ate in the restaurant at 9 and I had a black pudding hash with poached egg to start and a parmesan crusted chicken breast, mixed bean casserole and sauteed herb potatoes.
Big brekkie in the morning before the spa.
We had afternoon tea afterwards which was lovely.
In the evening, we had tuna cheese melts for a quick tea.

Saturday... veggie sausage and egg butty.
Didn't have lunch but snacked on bits.
Indian takeaway feast in the evenings OH, sister and BIL... there were poppadoms, chutneys, 4 starters, 5 curries, 2 different rices, another side dish and 2 naan breads. We didn't finish it! But BIL took the leftovers for his tea at work today.

Today, late breakfast of beans on toast.
Mugshot and half a cheese sandwich for late lunch.
Comfort tea of southern fried quorn nuggets, homemade chips and mushy peas!

I'm supposed to be working but getting distracted by the week's meal plan!
EmWilk
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » February 26th, 2018, 1:51 pm

Your spa trip sounds nice Emma.

We went to out for lunch/dinner yesterday. I had the beetroot cured sea trout to start, roast beef for main and chocolate parfait with textures of blood orange afterwards.

Breakfast was a fruit plate between us, a toasted bagel with jam between us and a yoghurt.

Lunch was turkey, salad and some pasta salad.

I'm contemplating a prawn laksa for dinner or a Chinese style mushroom and noodle soup with Chinese leaf added. Should keep us warm anyway!
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » February 26th, 2018, 6:07 pm

He had porridge and toast for brekkie, I had half a slice of toast with naughty spread...

Lunch was a lush mezze of french stick and 4 varying pots of rep pepper hummus, mayo ckx., tuna and sweetcorn, onion and garlic dip. Followed by a warmed dog nut... :chops:

Supper is a tortilla
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 26th, 2018, 9:40 pm

I had a banana
some pretty much everything free, it seems, chocolatish (very unsweet) biscuits that they were handing out outside the station
a few nuts and dried fruit
posh cheese on toast at La Fromagerie, followed by fondant au chocolat and ice cream.
dinner was a very small soya 'beef' warm sandwich with melted extra mature cheddar and Maille honey mustard. It was really very nice indeed.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby icelesley » February 27th, 2018, 8:10 am

Breakfast: toasted cheese muffin.
Lunch: Soup and a chicken sandwich thin
Dinner: Pork in sweet chilli sauce with roasted veg in couscous and spinach followed by a yoghurt with some sliced strawberries
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » February 27th, 2018, 12:48 pm

I think we’re having pork tonight too Lesley...with caremelised apples, creme fraiche and whole grain mustard.

Lunch is a mystery soup from the freezer. I think it’s potato, celeriac and apple.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 27th, 2018, 7:21 pm

Breakfast was mushroom pate and mushrooms on toast.

I skipped proper lunch and had an apple and a sultana scone with coffee.

I had half a cold jacket potato in the fridge so cut it into wedges, seasoned with paprika and chilli flakes and roasted with a sage and onion stuffing ball, a veggie sausage and steamed some kale. Enough leftovers for sandwiches tomorrow.
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 28th, 2018, 9:16 am

Yesterday was a banana, some dried fruit and nuts, some Special K with berries for lunch (lunch went a bit wrong...), a Yorkshire Curd tart (from Betty's. Yum! Lovely hint of lemon.) and dinner was spicy, smoky Mexicanish baked beans and cheese.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » February 28th, 2018, 9:41 am

Herbidacious wrote:a Yorkshire Curd tart (from Betty's. Yum! Lovely hint of lemon.)

Ahhh Betty's! We always visit when we go to Harrogate, my OH is very fond of their fat rascals.

We're both working from home today as OH's drive to work over the hills is hairy enough without the bob sleigh effect and I couldn't be bothered with the train. So we're hibernating for the day.

Breakfast was scrambled eggs with a tiny hint of truffle oil on toast with some snipped chives.

Lunch will possibly be quesadillas to use up a load of veg and cheese...mushrooms, spinach, peppers, tomatoes, grated mozzarella and cheddar. Maybe a chilli or two.

Dinner will be roast chicken with 40 cloves of garlic I think (not that I count the cloves!). Just need to decide on what to have with it.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby Catherine » February 28th, 2018, 1:04 pm

OneMoreCheekyOne wrote:Dinner will be roast chicken with 40 cloves of garlic I think (not that I count the cloves!). Just need to decide on what to have with it.

Potato dauphinoise
Catherine
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 28th, 2018, 7:39 pm

I have these. Not sure if I approve of this sort of thing but I bought them anyway. Steaming them. Not sure what to do with them beyond that.

EA3E7393-832F-4778-856E-4DB956C28F05.jpeg

edit: it's gone in the oven with some creme fraiche, a bit of butter, shaved parmesan, lots of black pepper and pine nuts.

Earlier today I had a scone with clotted cream and strawberry jam and a faux beef and honey mustard very small sandwich. In that order, but in quite the same time period.
Last edited by Herbidacious on February 28th, 2018, 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby EmWilk » February 28th, 2018, 7:48 pm

How did we reach Wednesday already?

I've managed to end up eating quite a few turkey meals this week which is odd but hey.

Monday morning was a bacon roll and cappuccino from Greggs. Not bad actually. The cappuccino I mean, the bacon roll was exactly what you'd expect... trashy but fantastic.
Lunch was turkey and veg soup.
Tea was turkey and ratatouille style tomatoey sauce used as part of a pasta bake.

Yesterday, veggie sausage butty and coffee.
Lunch was jacket, cheese and beans.
Tea was turkey in a mushroom and onion gravy, mash and loads of veg.

Today, ham, tomato and mushroom omelette and a slice of toast.
Lunch was leftover turkey and veg pasta bake.
Tea has just been a trashy oven affair of quorn nuggets and waffles :oops:

Dare I go back to SW after this week's holiday :scared: :lol:
EmWilk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 28th, 2018, 8:17 pm

Breakfast was muesli and a small banana.

Lunch I shared a mushroom omelette with my mum and pinched three of her chips. I had orange juice with it.

I had a leftover sausage from last night with spicy wedges, a stuffing ball and loads of steamed green beans.

I'm still hungry....
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » February 28th, 2018, 9:12 pm

You don't seem to have had your 5 a day either Teresa.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Rocky » March 1st, 2018, 1:05 am

Chaotic week. Monday both OH and I had work people to entertain so combined the two for dinner. I had a quarter of a lobster spring roll (from OH's plate) followed by wahoo with rosemary spuds and veg. Tuesday lunch I can't remember and dinner was a huge mound of roasted Brussels sprouts (OH was out...) Today I had taken delivery of a roti but ended up being so busy I didn't eat it. Don't mean to sound moany but this has happened too much recently and I realise I am quite overwhelmed with my new post Irma postion - flattered as I am to have been promoted into it.... Dinner has been some rather ordinary takeaway noodles followed by a work call at 9pm :shock:

Hoping for a better day tomorrow.....
Rocky
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 1st, 2018, 1:44 am

Pepper Pig wrote:You don't seem to have had your 5 a day either Teresa.

No, I know. It had been quite a jam packed day, on the go from 10am which included a pay day food shop. I couldn't fit more fresh veg in my fridge or fruit in my fruit bowl at the moment. Today will be better! Loads more time and more ingredients to play with.
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » March 1st, 2018, 6:54 am

My slow cooker full of mixed veg and haricot beans was lush over some shredded duck and the spicy zhut mix I made earlier in the week. Just the dish for a cold windy snowy night. And more to come ! (veg that is !)
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 1st, 2018, 9:17 am

TeresaFoodie wrote:

No, I know. It had been quite a jam packed day, on the go from 10am which included a pay day food shop. I couldn't fit more fresh veg in my fridge or fruit in my fruit bowl at the moment. Today will be better! Loads more time and more ingredients to play with.

Whereas I just had quite a lot of jam...
Tezza you did better than me! And I can't say I shall do better today, as no fresh fruit or veg in the house and I'm not going out!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » March 1st, 2018, 10:28 am

Boiled egg and soldiers for breakfast with lots of tea.

We've defrosted some leftover thai curries from the freezer which we'll have later with rice and some stir fried baby corn, mange tout, tenderstem.

We might have that at lunchtime though. In which case dinner this evening is going to be a baked camembert with various things to dip. I'm also pleased to see that we've got a few bottles of mulled wine leftover from Christmas so we may have a mug of that later!
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby EmWilk » March 1st, 2018, 8:36 pm

TeresaFoodie wrote:

You didn't do too bad I reckon Tezza. Banana and green beans definitely. Can we count mushrooms and orange juice? Definitely better than some of my days. Including today :oops:

Nonfruit or veg thus far unless you count mushy peas from the chippy. Good grief. It was so cold, windy and snowy round here today that I took what was on offer!

I'll try and rectify it with tea if I can peel myself off the radiator. But it's already gone half 8 and OH is at work so... hmmm. And now I fancy boiled egg and soldiers, OMCO!

Better luck tomorrow.
EmWilk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 1st, 2018, 9:38 pm

I am sure orange juice does count. Not sure about mushrooms.

Today I have been terrible in this regard:
a toasted muffin with butter
a Yorkshire curd tart
rosemary potato rosti with sweetcorn, hotdog sausages and comte. I only added the sweetcorn out of five a day guilt! Don't think I will get scurvy just yet though.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » March 1st, 2018, 11:07 pm

Bacon on bread for brekkie

Mezze pots of stuff - shop bought for lunch, cheese for me.

Supper was half a duck breast each with sautéed pots and a stir fry of veg. He was still peckish so polished off the rice pud. and greek yoghurt. I had a few mouthfuls.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » March 2nd, 2018, 11:11 am

I thought mushrooms counted as 1 of your 5 a day? I could well be wrong though, I probably am!

Bacon sandwiches for breakfast. We've got some chocolate chip hot cross buns too so we may share one mid morning.

Lunch will be turkey rolls with salad and coleslaw. Plus some fruit.

We were supposed to be braving the walk to the pub down the lane to meet friends and their kids for an early dinner...the children were all very excited at the thought of arriving on sledges. However there's more snow forecast later so it's likely that we'll stay put. I'll make a chicken and leek pie if so with some glazed carrots and sprouts, chestnuts and pancetta on the side.

Catherine wrote:OneMoreCheekyOne wrote:
Dinner will be roast chicken with 40 cloves of garlic I think (not that I count the cloves!). Just need to decide on what to have with it.

Potato dauphinoise

Sorry Catherine, I totally missed this! That would have been perfect. Now i really fancy potato dauphinoise!
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 2nd, 2018, 1:34 pm

The start of the week was mostly built around a small pork roast which I cooked with sage and onion, potatoes cooked around the meat. Creamed swede and spinach. I also made a breton far with prunes, figs and apricots.

Next day our main meal was a pork, apple and stuffing pie. A hot beetroot salad went well with that and I used the rest of the swede with some mashed potato into patties coated in panko crumbs then shallow fried. Plenty of Far left for afterwards. It's nice at breakfast time too.
Some pie with pickles did for lunch and the in the evening the last of the pork made into meat balls with a HM sweet and sour sauce and served in egg fried rice with beansprouts.

Last night we had veal Milanaise with spaghetti and HM tomto sauce - only have two jars left from last summer. I used the pineapple rings left over from the sweet and sour to make pineapple fritters for afterwards. Lunch had been leek potato and bacon soup with Welsh rarebit toast fingers in honour of St David's day.

We had the rest of the soup for lunch with fresh cheese scones.
Tonight we have fish cakes with parsley sauce, peas and a brocolli puree. Pancakes with an apple compote afterwards.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 2nd, 2018, 7:30 pm

Mushrooms are one your 5 a day ...... look what I found ;)

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/uk/body/di ... fruit-veg/
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 2nd, 2018, 7:40 pm

bad diet again for me:
scone with clotted cream and jam mid morning
lunch was smoked houmous on bread
dinner is going to be left over rosti with faux pork (and homey ustard :) )

I shall make something 'proper' tomorrow. Need to decide what to make and go out and buy some fresh veg. I have stuff coming, but too late for me to cook dinner with.
Last edited by Herbidacious on March 2nd, 2018, 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 2nd, 2018, 7:43 pm

I have tried to eat well the last couple of days, but not stepping foot outside the door, I resort to baking ... yesterday Welsh Cakes ( :chops: ) and today soda bread. Tried off-set the carbs with a 4 a day smoothie ...(5 if you count spirulina ;) )
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » March 2nd, 2018, 7:43 pm

He had porridge for brekkie with mixed spice and raisins, I had toast and custard spread and P nut butter :chops:

Lunch was HM Mr. Stronie a la maison and bruddy gorgeous and warming it was too.

The very last of the mutton curry with channa dal and chapatis and a smattering of bulgar cracked wheat.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 2nd, 2018, 7:46 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:Mushrooms are one your 5 a day ...... look what I found ;)

That's interesting. I never would have had spaghetti hoops on that list!

Today I had muesli and an apple grated into it.

Lunch homemade tomato soup with a courgette dumpling.

A couple of Pontefract cakes!

I am cooking a breaded chicken breast burger with oven chips which I will eat with a few baked beans for wetness, green beans and baby carrots.
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Amber » March 2nd, 2018, 9:52 pm

Why wouldn’t mushrooms count as a veg?

On my own tonight, with a salad without tomatoes (I forgot :oops: ), rosemary roasties without rosemary (I forgot :oops: ), and one of the nicest, thickest lamb steaks I have ever had. Except I forgot to set the timer, so the potatoes were very overdone by the time the lamb was cooked :oops:. There’s no hope for me, is there?
Amber
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » March 2nd, 2018, 10:17 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:Mushrooms are one your 5 a day ...... look what I found ;)

That article is 3 years old. Wasn’t there a significant change in expectation between then and now? Suddenly 10 a day was the target. Even when I’m doing SW would be beyond me.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 3rd, 2018, 1:01 am

I don't honestly think the human body has changed much in three years, report or no report. We've been eating mushrooms for centuries and for me, the more the merrier. I don't care about five, or eight or ten a day, I love their versatility, taste, availability - what is there not to love basically.
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 3rd, 2018, 12:23 pm

I didn't check the age of that article, it was more that mushrooms were (and still are ?) on the list. I have always considered mushrooms as one of my 5 (or 10) a day ... there is a lot of goodness in them including fibre. I have a veg smoothie most days that takes care of 3 or 4 .. then not so onerous to fit in another 4 or 5 a day ..
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 3rd, 2018, 12:28 pm

For lunch today we are having 'Louisiana inspired BBQ beef steaks' from WR ... (rtc) with jacket potatoes, garlic mushrooms and a mix of courgette, shallots, red and yellow peppers... The spuds are currently sitting on top of mixed root veg and barley soup in the Instant Pot. They can then be finished off in the oven along with the mixed veg.
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 3rd, 2018, 2:04 pm

That all sounds delicious Pat.

I had mushroom pate, Marmite and loads of mushrooms on a toasted pitta before my walk.

Lunch is a fish finger sandwich with mayonnaise, bread and butter pickles and crispy lettuce.

Two choices for dinner. A farmer's market pie bought for me by my dad, filling to be discovered once I crack it open, with veg, or chunky chicken stew courtesy of our food share system we have here! I'll decide later depending on which one I fancy. I'll have the other option tomorrow!
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 3rd, 2018, 5:54 pm

I plumped for the chicken stew for dinner and added extra goodness in the form of half a head of broccoli, steamed, and extra hot chilli sauce.
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Catherine » March 3rd, 2018, 6:36 pm

I always thought a portion of mushrooms counted as a vegetable portion. My nephews easily get 7 portions and often more
Catherine
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 3rd, 2018, 8:00 pm

Herbidacious
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 3rd, 2018, 8:31 pm

Haha, loved that mushroom advert, still sing it now! :lol:

I wonder if anyone can find another advert clip (I've tried), probably from the 80's. It was a supermarket chain (Asda? Safeway?) with fruit and veg in store with faces that turned round and looked at the camera saying 'Don't go'. Or did I imagine that one?
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 4th, 2018, 4:51 pm

Breakfast was muesli with chopped banana.

Lunch was a roast chicken dinner which included cauliflower cheese which had a bit of an odd taste! Lots of peas and roast potatoes, could have done with one more veg I thought.

Due to a delay with us receiving our meal we were offered a free dessert or drink each. We grabbed two yoghurts, one strawberry, the other coconut, pineapple and rum. Mum gave me hers. I may have one later, or there's a piece of carrot cake in the fridge which is calling my name!
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 4th, 2018, 7:21 pm

Yesterday was really quite bad. A slice of bread and butter and a rather over cooked Quorn 'pork' thing for lunch, then some salted caramel chocolate. Dinner was two hot dog sausages with mustard and sultana bran. My Ocado delivery was very late due to traffic and I was intending to eat after it came, but it kept getting later... hence the cereal.

Today, I've been/will be better. Sort of.
a slice of Swedish carrot and rosehip bread with spread.
two eggs baked in a mediterranean courgetty thing with parmesan on top
bannoffee pie
er some more of that salted caramel chocolate
dinner is a winter vegetable casserole (carrots, leeks, parsnips) with Quorn sausage. It's a bit brown looking but reasonably balanced. It will last me a few days. I might make dumplings for it at some point. Add peas to make it less brown?
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 4th, 2018, 8:17 pm

I was going to add dumplings to my tomato soup but there had been a complete panic buy on packet mixes, Aunt Bessie and suet!
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 5th, 2018, 8:08 am

They are very easy to make from scratch, Tezza. I am not confident about making anything remotely rissole-y, but I've made them, they didn't fall apart and they were very nice (especially with herbs in them.) You just need flour and suet - although I see quite a few online recipes use butter.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 5th, 2018, 8:58 am

My nan used to make very good dumplings from scratch, and I have mimicked her flour, suet and water method in the past with success, and was going to have another go when I saw the packet mixes were sold out, but suet was sold out too, and I am trying to avoid having butter in the fridge. It has a habit of disappearing very quickly! :oops:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 5th, 2018, 9:59 am

i have the opposite problem with butter. I love it, so I think I overly restrain myself, and end up chucking it out.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 5th, 2018, 10:09 am

Dumplings and suet pastry come in my DNA I think - they don'e have to be stodgy and if you are sensible about other carbs no naughtier than chips or roasties.

Yesterday we had a glazed rare breed gammon joint. I served it with beetroot and horseradish relich, Dauphinoise potatoes and a leek fondant.
Pud was a steamed sponge with ginger jam which neede to be used up - custard of course.
I put a peasepuddn' in the stock to cook and finished it off after lunch - masses of butter and black pepper :drool:
So supper was ham and pease'puddn' sandwiches. I wish I'd had time to make a stottie :drool: :drool: , but there's one in today so guess what's fro lunch?

Supper is going to be ham, pease pudding - pam fried until it is crispy on the outside, pickles and coleslaw. I managed to save half the pud and I'll make some fresh custard.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 5th, 2018, 11:12 am

Breakfast was muesli and orange juice. Just about to chomp an apple.

Lunch will be tomato soup simmered with some diced courgette.

Tonight is a mystery farmer's market pie with mushy peas and as many veg as I can cram onto the plate!
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop