What are you eating today? (v4)

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: What are you eating today? (v4)

Postby suffolk » July 2nd, 2018, 7:10 pm

Zosherooney wrote:Don't fancy the sweetbreads but everything else sounds :hungry:

Properly cooked veal sweetbreads are the food of the gods :drool:

Can't remember what we had for lunch yesterday , but supper was some spring lamb cutlets, marinated in EVOO and lemon with rosemary and garlic and cooked quickly on the griddle so that they were crispy on the outside and pink on the inside ... we had them with a big bowl of ratatouille and new potatoes baked in the oven with olive oil and lemon.

Today's lunch was lettuce, pea and mint soup (using the last of the Cos lettuce in the garden)
and supper was linguine with courgettes, confit tomatoes, peas, spring onions and black olives cooked briefly with a couple of anchovy fillets and and a few chopped capers :chops:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Rocky » July 2nd, 2018, 10:01 pm

Zosh - we are v v lucky to have access to boating and the lovely island restaurants they enable us to get to.

Today I had a lovely run and then lunch out with OH - I had a lovely jerk chicken wrap. Dinner is mahi in a tomato sauce with olives and other bits. Back to work tomorrow :(
Rocky
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 2nd, 2018, 10:40 pm

I was in no mood for cooking this evening, so whacked a pumpkin seed bread roll, salad bits, a lump of feta, crumbled and a hashed together pesto dressing onto a plate and had a little carpet (rug) picnic for one in front of Love Island. And very enjoyable it was too.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby EmWilk » July 2nd, 2018, 11:40 pm

For tea last night, we had linguine with baked tomatoes, asparagus, green beans and cream cheese all mixed through and then a piece of salmon on top.

Today, we've been off. I had porridge with apple, pear and strawberry for breakfast.
Half of a lunch picked up in town of a Mexican/Indian mash up type thing of rice, veg, beans, salad and paneer :? Was actually quite nice.
Tea was baked gammon, jacket potato and a massive salad.
And a mini magnum.
I'm fairly sure I've eaten a load of crap in between times too!
EmWilk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 3rd, 2018, 8:59 am

Zosh as Suffs says sweetbreads are wonderful if prepared end cooked correctly. The preparation is a bit of a faff so whenever I see them on a menu with a chef I can trust they are the first choice for me.

Lamb for us lastnight too with ratatouille as well. A small shoulder which I left cooking in a low oven all afternoon with masses of unpeeled garlic cloves a sprigs of rosemary. I just cooked baby potatoes round the meat. Pud was sliced white peaches in white wine - beautifully cool.

Lunch will be the rest of the ratatouille with a fried egg on top and the rest of the peaches.

There is enough lamb to make into a pan haggerty tonight, so once the potatoes are peeled and sliced not much to do except top and tail some beans to cook with garlic and olive oil.
I have some faiselles to use up and some fresh berries to have with them.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 3rd, 2018, 1:03 pm

Been AWOL from here during my long camping weekend. It involved meals out including tea, cake and ice creams.
Back to reality now and haven't had time to get any shopping except for two punnets of strawberries on the way home :rolleyes:. Yesterday I had fruit cake for breakfast. I had GD through lunchtime unexpectedly and managed to cobble together fish fingers, Peppa Pig spaghetti, cucumber, grated carrot flavoured with satsuma juice followed by strawberries. Night shift later, I made a frozen smoothie from some just out of date yogurt, strawberries and Apple and later had some instant porridge. I had taken a tin of Baxters soup but didn't want it. One day normality will return!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 3rd, 2018, 2:57 pm

An 8am hospital appointment meant a double espresso in Costa for starters then smashed avocado on toast in Sainsbury's cafe.

Lunch was a Quorn cottage pie followed by a choc ice.

Dinner will be veggie sausage, scrambled egg and tomatoes on a couple of toasted crumpets. Although........if England win, and I check my bank and my pay has gone in, I may feel an absolute urge to get pizza and wine in.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby EmWilk » July 3rd, 2018, 7:28 pm

Breakfast was a fruit salad although I just munched it throughout the day.
Lunch was salad, a little jacket spud (cold) with cream cheese, oven dried tomatoes, ham and boiled egg.
Tea is a bowl full of goodness in front of the footy... sushi rice, gochujang salmon, veg dumplings, loads of steamed veg, kimchi and sesame seeds. I did extra everything so I can make sushi shortly :tu:
EmWilk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 4th, 2018, 12:17 pm

Being inventive from an ever more bare cupboard continued yesterday (thankfully due to not wanting to go shopping rather than financial hardship, so there are choices still).
Breakfast was the remainder of the fruit cake. The rest of the day was quiche made from an odd selection of veg and the last of some cheddar. Then instant porridge, an apple and a banana at work overnight.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 4th, 2018, 1:57 pm

Yesterday was total chaos as DS had car problems (yes, the new car) and I was involved in transporting him around until a Courtesy Car became available ... by the time I returned home OH had assumed that supper wouldn't happen and we'd have to send out for something ...
but ... we had lettuce and spring onions, eggs, new potatoes, green beans, anchovies and a jar of Albacore tuna.

Potatoes, beans and eggs were cooked while a mayonnaise was swiftly whisked up ........ Salade Nicoise was ready in 25 mins :chef: :chops:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 4th, 2018, 2:08 pm

Suffs! :hi5:

My dinner plans changed last night. My pay didn't go in in time for football pizza and wine, and i didn't fancy eggs and crumpets. So as I had half a Cos lettuce and a red onion lurking and the scrapings of a jar of sun dried tomato pesto, I still cooked the sausages, cooked some spaghetti, stirred some of the pesto and the chopped sausages through and made a pesto and olive oil dressing for the salad remains. Loads was made so loads of leftovers as I was also using up the last of a packet of spag.

Breakfast today was a bowl of muesli, the sort that has no raisins in. :bounce:

Lunch was the rest of the aforementioned pasta.

By the way, I just replenished my spaghetti stocks from Co-op's RTC - 6p! :grin:

I've just been out for shopping and grabbed some halloumi which I fancy trying later. Not sure what with yet. Probably salad again, maybe some crusty bread.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 4th, 2018, 2:32 pm

I decided I need 'meat' today

OH popped to the shops and came back with rump steak ... we have courgettes in the garden and some cold new potatoes ... I might fry them both ... or I could make courgette salad and potato salad ... we shall see ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » July 4th, 2018, 5:07 pm

Just recovered from a 24hr sickness bug , so my first food in 48 hrs was a muller bliss yoghurt. That stayed down ok, so I'm going to do homemade carbonara with tagliatelle for tea
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby Catherine » July 4th, 2018, 6:23 pm

suffolk wrote:Yesterday was total chaos as DS had car problems (yes, the new car) and I was involved in transporting him around until a Courtesy Car became available ... by the time I returned home OH had assumed that supper wouldn't happen and we'd have to send out for something ...
but ... we had lettuce and spring onions, eggs, new potatoes, green beans, anchovies and a jar of Albacore tuna.

Potatoes, beans and eggs were cooked while a mayonnaise was swiftly whisked up ........ Salade Nicoise was ready in 25 mins :chef: :chops:

And I bet it was delicious too
Catherine
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 4th, 2018, 6:38 pm

I hope you feel better soon Pkc!

I made a warm vegetable salad dressed in the pesto dressing I made yesterday and had a slice of halloumi on it and very nice it was too. I can imagine it will be much tastier grilled.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby EmWilk » July 4th, 2018, 8:56 pm

I had a banana and some grapes for breakfast and then a bit of melon off the fruit tray at work.
Lunch was 3 types of homemade sushi: raw veg and kimchi; gochujang salmon and kimchi; spicy tuna and sesame seeds. With plenty of pickled ginger and soy sauce.
I also snuck in a bag of baked crisps and an aero mousse somewhere but my excuse is that I had early migraine signs and eating sugary things sometimes helps. And it did.
Tea has just been a very nice stir fry of pressed tofu sprinkled with szechuan pepper and five spice, vegetables and the usual Chinese suspects all served with my favourite egg noodles which come dried in an unlabelled plastic bag from the Chinese supermarket. Delicious!
EmWilk
Registered

Postby EmWilk » July 4th, 2018, 8:58 pm

TeresaFoodie wrote:I can imagine it will be much tastier grilled.

Tezza, you should definitely try it grilled, it's a different beast. I have never tried "uncooked" halloumi but I can't imagine it being great. So if you liked that, you'll love it grilled! Not too much or it goes squeaky but nicely browned and soft in the middle :tu:
EmWilk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 4th, 2018, 10:09 pm

Uncooked halloumi is very squeaky too! I'll look forward to trying it grilled. Would it work on pizza? Does it melt?
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby EmWilk » July 4th, 2018, 10:32 pm

It doesn't melt exactly, it goes soft and squishy but holds its shape. Quite difficult to describe I suppose. I think I have had it on pizza but not as you might have other cheese on pizza like mozzarella.

It's more like a main event if that makes sense? Like I'd use it instead of meat and serve it in big thick slices or chunks.

We sometimes do lots of griddled halloumi and veg and serve in a Turkish flatbread with spicy mayo.

Or in chunks on skewers.

Quite salty so it works well with sweet potato I always think. And spicy things, minty things, lemony things... something To contrast the salty.
EmWilk
Registered

Postby Rocky » July 5th, 2018, 12:17 am

On haloumi - just slice a wedge, cook it and munch. :chops: :chops: :chops:
Rocky
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 5th, 2018, 10:25 am

Last night I had a salad of potatoes (bought) mangetout and broad beans (garden) veggie frankfurters smoked paprika, Italian garlic seasoning and a drizzle of smoked olive oil.

Alas the potatoes let it down. Charlottes, but very floury.
The rest of the day, I tried out Slimfast things (want to shed a few pounds quickly, and thought it worth a try.) Not quite :sprout: but very sweet, with a nasty taste from the artificial sweeteners, I think. Not sure whether to purse it, or indeed the diet. I look ok but I do seem to swell up in the heat, as my German weekend reminded me. Italy in two weeks...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 5th, 2018, 1:10 pm

Some nice summery foods floating about here! Herbie, I find that a diet where wheat, dairy, sugar and meat are eliminated for a week or two drains water/heat bloating very successfully. They can be then reintroduced sensibly.

Still living on what's in the cupboard. I made individual quiches yesterday with the veg and cheese I had to use up (I had the rest of the necessary ingredients). So yesterday at various points of the day and night had quiche, fish fingers, Baxters soup, banana,Apple and strawberries. One more night of that kind of diet and then I will do some shopping!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 5th, 2018, 1:56 pm

Thanks EM. I suppose last night's dinner was consistent with that. Actually I've not had any dairy or sugar since Monday, apart from fruit.

I am not bloated now. In fact, I never seem to be at home. It's just when I get very hot on holiday... I am wondering if it's not just heat or even heat at all, but a change of diet and consumption of less water that always seems to happen when I am on holiday. I should try to drink more but that's all very well if you are out all day, as drinking leads to the need for loos.
All that said, I could do to lose 4-6 lbs, I think.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 5th, 2018, 7:18 pm

Another Slimfast bar, some nuts, a banana, and for dinner I am having what is usually anathema to me - stuffed courgette. An over-large courgette from the garden, stuffed with left over potato from yesterday, with sage from the garden, garlic, petits pois, smoked paprika and Kefalograviera. I've not tried Kefalograviera before and like it a lot. Reminds me of Manchego. I bought it in the Turkish supermarket.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 6th, 2018, 6:32 am

Suff and Rats, I think I would have to be quite relaxed with an amount of wine to even try sweetbreads and as I don't do that anymore, sweetbreads will not be on the menu anytime soon. I can remember having drunk half a bottle of wine before trying frogs legs !

2 x pan au chocolate for brekkie!!!! A small amount of gorgonzola with an apple and pitta bread for lunch and the last of the SC rib of beef with broccoli stalks and a baby new potato for supper.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 6th, 2018, 7:55 am

We had a piece of mouse de canard with some HM coleslaw, pickles and grain bread toast for lunch. Followed by 2 sorts of melon.

Supper was posh mac'n cheese with baked tomatoes in three colours. I had 2 pieces of sponge cake left so I made a quick rasberry trifle.

Today fruit has been eaten for breakfast.
Lunch will be eggs benedict and super is to be a salad, the recipe for which was in this month's Saveur. It has shrimp, avocado, apple, fennel new spuds with sesame seeds and a lemon dressing.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Rocky » July 6th, 2018, 10:48 am

Yesterday had salad with leftover sausage for lunch. Dinner was a real treat. Went with some friends to another island. They do a little boat over at 6 and back at 9. Although they persuaded us to stay and get the staff boat back later. Sunset drinks on the beach then shared some lobster spring rolls. For main I had gorgeous tuna with stacks of veggies.

Really can't decide what to have tonight. Might see what inspires me at the shops. Have to go shopping for hurricane supplies. Can't believe the first one of the season has formed and is heading in this vague direction....
Rocky
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 6th, 2018, 11:17 am

Never eaten frog's legs ... frogs are being pushed towards extinction and nowadays almost all are imported into France and the US from Asia where they are horribly treated. :twisted:

However, I'm quite happy to eat the offal of animals reared and killed humanely ... liver, heart, kidneys, tripe, brain and sweetbreads. :tu:
Perhaps we should have an offal thread .... Oh, we had one viewtopic.php?f=12&t=14628&hilit=offal :lol:

Lunch yesterday was Waitrose 'sushi'.

Supper was noodles, stirfry summer veg from the garden and hot-smoked salmon with a chilli dressing.

Oh Rocky ....... that sounds marvellous 8-) (not the hurricane season of course ... I meant your lovely evening).
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 6th, 2018, 12:18 pm

Oh Rocky :hug:. The dinner sounds nice though!

I gave in yesterday and bought a ready made salad with Greek cheese to take to work. Very nice it was too. Also had cake (birthday), Apple, banana during the night and egg and rice earlier.
Shopping later!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 6th, 2018, 12:23 pm

Rocky. Fingers crossed that the storms miss you this year.

I've eaten frogs legs. Last autumn was the last time but it was in the Dombs where they have vast lakes where they live a happy froggy life. I would never eat imported ones, how they are treated just does not bear thinking about. We once came through the same region in the car and stopped at traffic lights with a restaurant straight ahead which proudly advertised "Frog and chips"

Another offal addict here, as you will have gathered. I wonder just what you think seetbreads are Zosh? I know a lot of folk think they are something completely different.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 6th, 2018, 1:03 pm

Without consulting Lord Google, Rats, I think they are some sort of gland from memory??? (not a gland from your brain !!! From my recollection) Don't like look of them :sprout:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 6th, 2018, 1:28 pm

Sweetbreads are the thymus and pancreatic glands. They are delicious and one of my favourite meals.

Some people confuse them with Prairie Oysters/cojones.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 6th, 2018, 4:55 pm

They're a real delicacy! :chops:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 6th, 2018, 5:17 pm

Breakfast was cereal and fruit juice. Lunch should have been with my mum in Sainsbury's cafe, but I came over with dodgy tummy so just had an ice cold lemonade, then ate the ice cubes walking round the store for groceries!
Late lunch once I got home was a fish cake sandwich with salad and coleslaw.

Currently cooking a jacket potato with a veggie burger to have with the rest of my salad, and just remembered that a slice of halloumi needs to be added to the roasting tray! Jelly and fruit for pud later.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Rocky » July 6th, 2018, 9:47 pm

OH is picking steaks up so that will likely be dinner with either wedges and salad or courgetti. That said OH has said he fancies a pizza from the place down the hill.

Poor Dominica who were v badly damaged in hurricane maria are under a hurricane watch...
Rocky
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 6th, 2018, 11:23 pm

Rocky :hug: and those on Dominica :hug: How worrying for them. Scary weather situations do make our meal times seem so easy. Simply moaning about being too hot in the heat wave to use my oven is suddenly seeming like a pathetic moan. :oops:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby EmWilk » July 7th, 2018, 11:47 am

Rocky, hope all is well.

Thursday, I had leftover tofu, veg and noodles for lunch.
Tea was quorn nuggets and wedges topped with pizza style toppings :oops:

Friday, fruit for breakfast.
Lunch was KFC :oops: it was so late when I got out of a meeting and all the others were going. I was very weak :lol:
Tea was noodles with black bean mushrooms and veg with some dumplings.

Today, I've been for brunch with my friend. I had bacon, avocado and poached egg on toast he a big wedge of orange cake!
I won't need anything til tea I shouldn't think although may have a few snacks with footy. Nervous nibbles!
I'm going to get steak out of the freezer and hope it's defrosted in time for tea. Maybe with risotto, maybe with chips, not sure. OH will 100% want a takeaway and try to convince me because it's my birthday tomorrow. I may end up caving. But I'll try and stick with steak!
EmWilk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 7th, 2018, 12:35 pm

I'm trying to keep it simple today.

Lunch used up the last 2 avocados with grilled bacon on toast and lots of melon and watermelon.
I've got everything ready to construct a salad Nicoise and a tray of apricots with honey, crumbled almond macaroons and a splash of sweet wine to pop in the oven at half-time.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 7th, 2018, 6:37 pm

Strawberry and melon frozen smoothie for breakfast two days in a row. Big salad with cold meat and crusty roll yesterday. Ham and mushroom tagliatelle today (a rtc special from yesterday). Ice cream both days running. No lunch yesterday but some pizza at work today.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 7th, 2018, 7:08 pm

Bacon and bread for brekkie with a few segments of orange.

Lunch was a bowl of shared salad and dolmades and a custard tart (small) on the boat. When we got home, he had some water melon and I had some grapes.

Supper will be green beans from the garden, chicken tarragon and linguine and an early night I think after all the excitement of the day !
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 7th, 2018, 8:10 pm

Marmite on toast for breakfast, then I made a big bowl of salad for the rest of the day. Little gem, cucumber, celery, tomatoes, chick peas. My lunchtime salad had chilli heat wave Doritos sprinkled over it and a dollop of hummus. My dinner time salad had a small jacket potato, garlic and herb cream cheese and coleslaw on it. At some point I snacked on an ice cold nectarine from the fridge. I might have another one in a minute. :grin:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 8th, 2018, 1:33 pm

Crumpets and redcurrant jam for breakfast.

Another salad for lunch with hard boiled egg and Jersey Royals in a sun dried tomato pesto dressing and some kale. Choc ice.

Dinner might be mushroom and garlic pizza and coleslaw if I can bear to have the oven on. If not, more salad!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 8th, 2018, 1:58 pm

Naughty cereal for me, he had a large scone and nectarine compote.

Farm pork and lamb chop from the BBQ, a mixed salad, the chx. & chorizo saus, will be saved for some sort of bruschetta for supper if we need it, oh, and some garlic toast.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 8th, 2018, 2:34 pm

Yogurt and lots of berries for himself.
Japanese Yokitori kebabs (thank you Picard) for lunch with salad and lemon sorbet with (just) a splash of vodka afterwards

Tonight a pave of beef which has been marinating in various goodies since yesterday to pop onto the bbq then rested for a long time before carving and serving with potato and courgette pancakes and balsamic cherry vine tomatoes. Followed by baked apricots which I "filled" with a small cube of nougat each and added a little sweet wine . They came out beautifully. So simple and once chilled will e lovely by themselves or with a little thick cream or yogurt. First time I've done this but, as I often make an apricot and nougat clafoutis I thought I'd give it a try.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 8th, 2018, 3:19 pm

A quiet day yesterday as I felt 'slightly fragile' :oops: .... isn't it amazing how quickly a chilled bottle of rosé can disappear on a hot afternoon :rolleyes:

However, later in the day a supper of Cumberland sausage, crispy bacon, black pudding, grilled tomatoes, baked beans, fried eggs and oven chips was just the ticket :chops:

Today lunch was a stir fry of shredded courgette, shredded golden beetroot, mange tout, beetroot leaves and a few blanched almonds with a dash of soy.

Supper will be a pizza from the freezer ....... we need the freezer space :lol:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » July 8th, 2018, 3:58 pm

suffolk wrote:Supper will be a pizza from the freezer ....... we need the freezer space

Snap, the beans are growing very fast.

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 8th, 2018, 4:02 pm

Aren't they just :shock: so are the courgettes, mange tout, sweetcorn etc and the tomatoes aren't far behind them :o ........ we may have to in invite a lovely couple we know who live up near the coast to a veggie feast before very long :rolleyes: .... purely to help us eat the surplus you understand :lol:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » July 8th, 2018, 4:12 pm

If its the couple I'm thinking of they might bring you some of their spare produce :lol: :lol: :lol:

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby Rocky » July 8th, 2018, 4:16 pm

Suffs that meal to overcome fragility sounds delicious :chops:

We had a lovely day yesterday. Lunch out after a long walk and shared cracked conch and fish tacos. At 4 we went to see some friends who are house sitting the most amazing house with an infinity pool and a swim up bar. So we had a few :cocktail: and then nibbled on some ribs. Then had a bbq of steaks which we had brought, sausages and corn and salads of butternut squash and feta and a chick pea and roasted veg one. All delicious.
Rocky
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 8th, 2018, 5:27 pm

suffolk wrote: isn't it amazing how quickly a chilled bottle of rosé can disappear on a hot afternoon

Yes. Happened to me about a decade ago. The mere thought of doing that again now turns my stomach. :sprout:

Definitely too hot to have the oven on, so I think I'll nip out for baguette and hummus to go with my salad.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop