What are you eating today? (v4)

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: What are you eating today? (v4)

Postby Kacey » July 23rd, 2018, 8:41 pm

Lucky you - I love figs fresh from the tree and they look gorgeous. Haven't had any like that since our holiday in Finikounda 2yrs ago where fig trees were particularly prolific and the figs pretty much dropped into your hand as you walked past. OH bless him, bought me a couple of packs from Tesco today as a treat as I've had a bit of a health trauma lately, but they won't be anywhere near as nice as those.

Had cornflakes for breakfast - my new fad after having them whilst in hospital recently. Hadn't had cornflakes for years, forgot how nice they could be with ice cold milk.
Lunch was a thick slice of sourdough with pesto, feta cheese and some really nice tomatoes.
Couldn't bear to cook tonight in this heat so heated up some leftover curry - saag paneer, kale & chickpea, aubergine & pea and had it with a couple of mini garlic & coriander naan.
Kacey
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 23rd, 2018, 9:40 pm

Breakfast was a favourite of mine. Marmite, tomato and avocado on a wholemeal flatbread instead of my usual toast.

Lunch was jacket potato, grated cheese, chopped celery and baked beans with spinach.

Late dinner was another couple of flatbreads with garlic and herb cream cheese, cucumber, pickle and some green olives.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » July 24th, 2018, 8:20 am

Lunch yesterday was spicy quesadillas with cheese, peppers, habanero, coriander and salsa etc.

Dinner was roast chicken with all the trimmings...it was too hot for cooking something like that really but all the doors were open and fans on to make it bearable. It was worth it when we sat down to eat anyway.

Cereal this morning. Lunch will probably be roast chicken, salad and coleslaw wraps.

Dinner will possibly be stuffed peppers with the last of the chicken, rice, tomatoes, cheese, herbs, mushrooms. Served with a green salad. DD loves anything where you get to eat the ‘container’ for the rest of the food such as stuffed peppers, giant filled YP, tortilla bowl etc. She’s easily pleased!
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 24th, 2018, 2:37 pm

Malted wheats and a peach yoghurt for breakfast.

Tiny jacket spud, homemade Hummus, chopped celery, baked beans and spinach for lunch plus a satsuma.

Vegetable pizza with additional mushrooms, courgettes and mozzarella for dinner.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 24th, 2018, 5:39 pm

Last night ended up being pizza followed by house dessert which turned out to be cheesecake, (v nice cheesecake.)
Ate quite a bit before going out today as been suffering from low blood sugar. So a yoghurt, some cake (kind of like pound cake with blueberries) a fig.
For lunch we shared a vegetarian roast veg platter (actually a slice of potato and cheese gratin with mint, an aubergine gratin slice, mozzarella and long thin peppers) then shared melanzane parmigiana, cheese and courgette balls with tomato sauce, grilled aubergines with mint, and fried potatoes.
I had some watermelon when we got home at tea time. Not decided whether or not to have dinner, but will eat at home if we do.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 24th, 2018, 8:25 pm

Breakfast : Lots of fruit mixed with yogurt.
Mid morning: Vienetta which had to be eaten when I defrosted the freezer.
Lunch: salad, rice, egg.
Supper: fish pieces egged, floured and fried. Salad, new potatoes. Yogurt and blueberries.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 25th, 2018, 7:59 am

I am going to update this thread before bed time as my planned evening meals keep changing last minute. I do blame the weather! :rolleyes:

Last night I ditched the pizza because I wanted to add some bits to it and it would have meant time spent stood in my scorching west facing kitchen. So I ditched that idea as I had a flat bread needed using up and just popped a meat free burger in the oven for 15 minutes, escaped to the cool living room to mash up some chick peas for my hummus rescue mission, and ate the burger and flat bread with melted cheese, mayo and ketchup. It needed lettuce and raw onion really but I'd run out. Must purchase some today!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » July 25th, 2018, 9:23 am

Cereal first thing. I've just warmed up some chocolate pastries for me and the guys working on the garden to have with coffee.

Lunch will be a wrap filled with thinly sliced grilled halloumi, falafel, pickled chillies and mint yoghurt. Rolled up and then heated on the griddle.

Dinner will be cous cous with chopped grilled veg, herbs, pomegranate and more mint yoghurt, topped with some mini lamb koftas.

Then off to watch Mamma Mia 2 with friends so I expect there will be popcorn.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 25th, 2018, 7:23 pm

Breakfast: berries & yogurt
Elevenses; Pastel de Nata from Lidl
Lunch: Ham & salad roll
Afternoon tea out: Coffee & Walnut cake
Supper: Savoury veg & turkey mince with macaroni added. Frozen Skyr and raspberries.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby EmWilk » July 25th, 2018, 8:07 pm

Sunday was a terrible... I fell asleep on the settee working at around 1:30am, woke up at 3, put everything away and went up to bed, collapsed in it and then... waaaaah! Leo, the best sleeper ever, woke up and cried and cried and wouldn't stop other than when I was stood in his room with him. This continued until 4:45. I then went back to work until he woke up again, properly this time, at 7 just before OH got back from work. So...! The point is, I felt so tired and horrible all day that I could barely face food.
I had a bit of melon and strawberries.
A half attempt at a homemade noodle soup cup type thing which I had about a third of.
A chocolate digestive at dad's and then home to bed at 6pm until I woke up at 9 and had to carry on with work :cry: OH had bought dominos and saved me some but I could just about manage one slice.

Monday, I still felt rotten but ploughed on anyway. I had fruit salad for breakfast.
Chicken salad and soup for lunch.
Tea was a mozzarella burger and lots of salad before another late night working.

Yesterday, 2 veggie sausage on a piece of wholemeal toast.
Late lunch was made the night before... chicken breast, roasted veg and white beans.
OH had bought a sourdough pizza for tea which we couldn't even be bothered to make a salad for!

Today, I had fruit and cereal bars for breakfast.
Lunch was a small pack of veg sushi plus carrot, celery and hummus.
Tea has just been leek and chive dumplings, veg, noodles and kimchi... So good and so easy!
EmWilk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 25th, 2018, 11:24 pm

Breakfast was a teacake nibbled straight from the pack. Not toasted, not buttered, not jammed. Just munched, flabby mode, washed down with Earl Grey.

Snack around lunchtime was an ice cream wafer sandwich.

Roast chicken salad for dinner with another flabby teacake afterwards.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 26th, 2018, 9:08 am

I made something I haven't made in years last night - a corned been and tato pie!
We were in the supermarket yesterday and they were stacking the canned meat shelves and Mr R sporred a box of tins of Fray Bentos corned beef and said that he hadn't had any since we came to France and how much he used to love my corned beef pie, actually Gran's "recipe".

So when we got home I made the pastry - the way Gran did and left it to rest in the fridge.
Somewhat mad on such a hot day but it worked - thanks to Grans marble slab which I use for pastry. we had it straight out of the oven for supper with parsley sauce, broccoli and potatoes and some chilled almond stuffed roast peaches afterwards.

So that's tonight's supper settled. Cold pie with a potato salad and coleslaw

Beetroot and goat's cheese salad for lunch and more of the watermelon and Cavaillon melon platter I prepared yesterday. I just cut them into wedges and scatter them them with chopped mint and chill.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Rocky » July 26th, 2018, 11:38 am

Hi all

Love the sound of the corned beef pie :chops:

Sorry you are working so hard Em - I can completely empathize!

Well my three days in cayman didn't really involve particularly nice food. I arrived on the Sunday and had a Cobb salad for dinner.mlunch at the conference was quite nice grouper with lime and coriander rice and seasonal veg. Dinner that nice was linguine with feta and olives. Lunch at the conference the next day was salmon with a mango salsa with more rice and bizarrely mixed root veg. Dinner was a chorizo and new potato salad.

Yesterday had a shocker. Had to leave the hotel at 4am so breakfast was a banana. Flight from Cayman to Miami was ne but got to Miami and found out flight to San Juan was delayed by four hours meaning I missed my connection to Tortola. Lunch at Miami airport was actually nice - a quinoa and roasted veg salad. Eventually got to hotel in San juan at nine and had a Greek salad and a day's work to do so v late night. Have had some fruit for breakfast and on my way to the airport to try to get onto a flight home.
Rocky
Registered

Postby Seatallan » July 26th, 2018, 12:12 pm

Good luck Rocky! Hope you're home soon :hug:

Rats, I like the sound of the corned beef pie too. :chops: Any chance of the recipe?
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 26th, 2018, 1:13 pm

Sea, I just use HM old fashioned short crust pastry. Then I cheat by using a food processor - Gran used just to mash it all together with a fork - 1 tin corned beef, one boiled medium potato and half a finely chopped onion. Whiz with a dash of Lea and Perrins and salt and pepper to taste, Put into a pastry lined shallow pie tin/plate then top with more pastry, brush with egg wash and bake in a hot overn - about 210C until golden. Mum sometimes put sliced tomato on top of the meat.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Seatallan » July 26th, 2018, 3:50 pm

That sounds wonderful Rats! I shall have a try at that I think. Thank you! My mum made a lovely corned beef flan with sliced tomato on top, and this sounds similar. :hungry:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 26th, 2018, 6:39 pm

I had a flabby tea cake for breakfast with Earl Grey, and lunch was a large bowl of salad with a pesto dressing, avocado and a couple of new potatoes.

Half a roasted veg laden pizza and a scoop of ice cream to follow. I really fancied a black coffee after that lot and now thinking I should have another scoop of ice cream in a minute with the coffee poured over. Haven't had that in years!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 27th, 2018, 6:54 pm

Breakfast was a chappati which I briefly toasted and wrapped around a filling of scrambled egg, mushrooms and a mashed avocado.

Snacks whilst out were a peanut brittle bar, an apple and a satsuma. Snack when I got home was a pot of orange jelly with mandarin segments.

Dinner has been the same as last night - pizza remains with loads of salad followed by ice cream.

Yum!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 27th, 2018, 7:08 pm

Breakfast: none
Lunch: Baxters Smoked Bacon & Bean Soup. Banana
Supper: Chicken & veg stir fry with noodles. Strawberries & raspberry sorbet.
Snack: handful rice & pea crisps.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 27th, 2018, 7:45 pm

Oh i don’t know. Lots of nice Italian food... eaten out and in. Melanzana parmigiana for lunch today. OH had caprese salad and assorted frisselle.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby EmWilk » July 27th, 2018, 10:36 pm

Oh Rocky, it's rubbish isn't it?! Everyone who comes through the doors of our group (me included) say they know what it's like to work under pressure but every single one of them ends up completely bewildered at the level at our place (of they even last that far!). It's like nothing I've ever known and right now is the most stressful I've known in the 4 years of being there. I am exhausted and it's only just beginning :( siiiigh, whinge over! I hope you are coping, it must be so tough, I bet sometimes you feel like you've had enough of it all buy-in sure your amazing efforts are massively appreciated on the islands.

Yesterday, I had 2 cereal bars and some fruit.
Lunch, I think, was the same as the day before... veg sushi and veg sticks with hummus.
Tea was KFC :oops: after finishing late at work and before continuing work from home 'til a silly hour.

Today, I worked from home before a supplier meeting so I had a veggie sausage butty for breakfast and grabbed an iced latte en route to the meeting. Thank God I did as I didn't have anything to eat or drink until I left the meeting at 5 and then wolfed an apple and a banana along with a couple of pints of water on this roasting day!
Tea has been a ridiculously large salad of, well, salad leaves(!), cucumber, tomatoes, chicken, ham, boiled egg, charred courgette and spring onion; hummus and a random but delicious quorn mini savoury egg!

There was a "girls treat" for a few of us today of someone coming in and giving wash and blow-dry's in our fancy powder room but because my meeting overran I missed mine :cry: so have treated myself and booked one tomorrow instead!
EmWilk
Registered

Postby EmWilk » July 28th, 2018, 9:23 pm

Ooooh, just read last night's post. What a whinger I am!

Today, I had mushrooms on cream cheese toast.
A daft amount of bits and bats really throughout the day... biscuit at the hairdressers; soreen bar at dad's; small ham butty and a few crisps at home; coffee and a bit of cake (before Leo pinched it!) in town; mini quorn egg; few more crisps; bits of apple.
Tea has been super trash... Chinese curry noodles using egg noodles, onion, mushroom, peas and mayflower curry sauce :oops: and some quorn nuggets :oops: :oops:
EmWilk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 28th, 2018, 10:00 pm

Breakfast: egg and Smash (yes, back to SW!)
Lunch: (with GD). Heck sausages, assorted salad veg, pea and rice crisps, Babybel cheese. Berries & sorbet
Later(on night shift about to eat) Chicken, veg & noodles left over from yesterday.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 29th, 2018, 12:49 am

Breakfast was malted wheaties and grapefruit juice.

Lunch in Sainsbury's with my mum was their roasted veg lasagne and side salad. Mum had the fish and chips and we both agreed that their dinner plates have shrunk....

Dinner was a meat free burger in a flat bread with melted Cheddar, mayo, ketchup, a few cold new potatoes, salad and homemade hummus. Ice cream followed.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 29th, 2018, 12:49 pm

Yesterday's lunch was a ham, cheese and tomato toastie.

Supper was Kedgeree followed by chilled black figs filled with raspberries glazed in a little melted red currant jelly and served on lightly whipped cream flavoured with rasberry eau de vie. Delicious, quick and really simple. Thank you Roger Verge - one of my favourite chefs.

This lunch time we had Maryland style crabcakes (thank you M Picard) and a faiselle with a little cream and sugar afterwards

Tonight, to celebrate the end of le Tour we are entertaining now all made:
Soupe au Pistou
Crespeou with HM tomato sauce
Cheese
Raspberry macaron gateau.

I have a feeling it might be too hot, even at 7.00pm to eat outside.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 29th, 2018, 1:55 pm

Ratatouille wrote:Tonight, to celebrate the end of le Tour we are entertaining now all made:

Shouldn't is be cockles and laver bread, salt marsh lamb, Caerphilly and welsh cakes? With a dram or two of Welsh whisky

I have read back, bu haven't posted for ages

Yesterday a piece of toast & marmalade, a falafel wrap in the market, and prawns with Thai basil from Chinatown cook book
Some fruit somewhere in there

Today a slightly odd Turkish bun made with a not-too-rich croissant dough and a bit of cheese in and around. OK but won't bother again. Flat peach
Lunch was a cheese and ham toastie made with prosciutto crudo (if you shop in Morrison's, it's good) and some scamorza I'd forgotten about. I bought it a week ago and was a bit disappointed, it's from Bath Fine Cheese Co, and I've had it before and liked it. In retrospect I was quite snuffly at the time and it clearly affect my taste, it's lovely. Some HM tomato chutney and another peach

tonight I have a little half shoulder of lamb which I will slow cook on a bed of potaoes and onions, The question is, do I leave it plain, flavour with herbs and garlic med style, or give it a Middle Easter / Persian twist?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 29th, 2018, 3:21 pm

I smashed an avocado onto a slice of wholemeal seeded toast with Marmite for breakfast and washed it down with Earl Grey.

Lunch was my first roast dinner since getting my new kitchen. Two veggie sausages roasted with potatoes and sage and onion stuffing, steamed leeks and carrots and lots of gravy. Perfectly judged quantities leaving no leftovers and a smug tummy.

I feel something simple and sweet coming on for dinner. I wonder if two fruit scones and ice cream are allowed? :hungry:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby EmWilk » July 29th, 2018, 7:28 pm

Another picky day which I need to stop doing.

We went to a local beefeater for breakfast... there's loads of fresh fruit, pastries, cereals, yoghurts, juices, various breads, pancakes, etc plus all you can eat (But you order it as opposed to buffet) cooked breakfast. It's £8 each and kids eat free so is perfect for a stress free Sunday morning. (And they do quorn sausages and bubble & squeak which makes me happy!)

Very small amount of leftover noodles... can't understand why OH would leave such a neither-here-nor-there amount!
Some pear, nectarine, crisps, a milky way crispy roll.
Tea has just been a penne quorn bolognese kinda concoction.

I *WILL* plan this week's food before I start work in this evening!
EmWilk
Registered

Postby Catherine » July 29th, 2018, 9:32 pm

EmWilk wrote:I *WILL* plan this week's food before I start work in this evening!

I was going to suggest making a meal plan and sticking to it rigidly. If it isn't on the list you can't have it. If you feel the need to eat off plan then stop and wait. Ask yourself if you really need to/want to and give yourself time to refocus on why you have made the plan. That should be time enough to stop the urge to eat something else. If you still want to eat more then do, don't beat yourelf up and get back on plan. You CAN do this Emma
Catherine
Registered

Postby Rocky » July 29th, 2018, 10:22 pm

EmWilk - good to have a plan but also don't out yourself under more pressure than you already are. Even your random stuff seems pretty healthy. I am finding that I don't have the mental space to think about meals being this busy so often end up with something really easy - but as long as there is stacks of veg in, I'm generally pretty healthy!

So OH was going to cook for me on Friday night but he had had a couple of beers so we just had some roasted veg with pesto. Yesterday had a fab day on a boat. Lunch was a mahi salad and a few fries. We had had a few :cocktail: so I went straight to bed when we got home..
Rocky
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 29th, 2018, 10:39 pm

I'm jealous again Rocks !

Nut cluster cereal and milk & cream :o (very small) for brekkie, Linguine left over saus. selection couple of chicken bits and mixed veg in a sauce for a very late lunch around 4pm. Small KFC tomato & cuc with a tiny slice of peach & r'berry flan and come coconut goats yoghurt. Decided to mix my own yoghurt as I had enjoyed shop bought but had run out. It worked very well and I will do that again.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby EmWilk » July 30th, 2018, 12:41 am

I usually do a plan every week. The shopping list then comes off the plan. It's all very organised... we're not too bad at sticking to it... but I can't think straight enough to plan right now. I had my plan page set out, as usual but then took a work call, all hell broke loose and here I am, 1:35am just got in bed, feeling nauseous I'm that tired. And this is before the week's begun! No plan, no shopping list :scared: try again tomorrow!
EmWilk
Registered

Postby Rocky » July 30th, 2018, 12:50 am

I think that's exactly it Em. I have been fortunate enough never to be truly stressed / worried by work before so have always though that as long as people are organised it works itself out. My current situation (which sounds like yours) gives me so little mental space, I can't even go with the simples plans. This is such an alien concept to me. I'm not into career (more want to be good at the 'jobs' I do - but Irma seems to have propelled me into a different world!
Rocky
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 30th, 2018, 7:29 pm

I'm another one who finds that planning goes out of the window. No day seems to end the way I expected and I end up not wanting to eat/cook the thing I'd planned. Of course , it works sometimes but not often. I think you just have to (if you are able to get them) get basic supplies in which can be prepared and eaten quickly or picked at if plans go awry.

Can't remember exactly what i had yesterday but most of it was quite sensible. As it was someone's birthday at work we did our usual order a takeaway and pay for the person's meal between us. The person chose a kind of burger bar place which also did things like lamb chops and salmon which i think would have been pretty grim. They had missed half the order out on delivery which did not bode well. I chose a BBQ wrap - I honestly can't remember the kind of meat it was supposed to be and am still none the wiser. It was in a sloppy gravy wrapped in an ordinary wrap. I wouldn't choose anything from there again but it tasted ok.

Today I finished off 2 cold Heck sausages from the fridge before going to bed this morning, bought a prawn sandwich from Sainsburys after pilates as I was going straight to see DS and tonight had a weird mix of egg, fish fingers, rice and salad followed by strawberries and blueberries. I got in much later than i'd expected to and it was quick.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Catherine » July 30th, 2018, 8:57 pm

earthmaiden wrote: tonight had a weird mix of egg, fish fingers, rice and salad followed by strawberries and blueberries. I got in much later than i'd expected to and it was quick.

I always serve my nephews rice with fish fingers. They never really have chips at home, simply because they all prefer rice. The usually have salad with it and olives, otherwise loads of veg........not sure about the egg
Catherine
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 30th, 2018, 9:58 pm

Breakfast was a big bowl of malted wheaties with grapefruit juice. I planned a walk and a return to a lunch of egg mayo and tomato on wholemeal seeded baguette. But my mum text me to say she was having her feet seen to :sprout: at midday and would pop round afterwards. This usually means an outing for coffee and possibly a snack. So I hung on as long as I could but by 2pm had to eat! The egg roll got it! We still went out for afternoon coffee, and while I dropped a repeat prescription in, my mum took it upon herself to order between us a fresh cream chocolate eclair and a fresh cream and jam doughnut! Mum!!!!! I scooped a bit of the cream out of mine. So over-filled! Felt very guilty afterwards. But it was a nice, one off treat I suppose.

No dinner, just a few nuts in a ramekin nibbled in front of Love Island.

Not the healthiest day! Better luck tomorrow! :lol:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 31st, 2018, 7:30 am

Yesterday I had a slice of spinach and ricotta calzone at the airport, and then a chcolate and crema pasticciotto. I also had a fig and a chocolate dessert in the apartment before setting off. I have to say, Bari airport is very good for gfood - both to eat and to buy. There is an amazing food and drink shop. I could have spent hundreds in there. I did psend quite a lot. Fortunately for my waller, I was limited by my not very large hand luggage bag size. I did buy ricotta forte, some olive oil in a lovely bottle, some smoked olive oil in a smaller but equally lovely bottle and a few other bits and pieces.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 31st, 2018, 8:50 am

Yesterday quite boring but nice
Slice of toast for breakfast
Jacket spud with beans and a little cheese for lunch
A peach
Cold lamb and a sort of bubble & squeak fir supper
Today toast so far
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Amber » July 31st, 2018, 8:48 pm

Yellow water melon - a first for me.

F59E1939-32E9-4AF5-BAD4-A67A701472F9.jpeg

(with fish sticks :oops: :oops: :D )
Amber
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 31st, 2018, 9:05 pm

I think our Wildie lunch was well documented elsewhere. It wasn't very well balanced as we didn't have veg but it was nice.
I didn't have any breakfast and have not wanted any supper. I've been drinking copious amounts of water since I got home.

Water melon & fish sticks sounds interesting! I haven't seen yellow before either.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby EmWilk » July 31st, 2018, 10:50 pm

Rocky, I know exactly what you mean about the mental capacity, that's the perfect way to describe it. Planning (and sticking to it) just seems to be so much more difficult than it should be!
EM you are definitely right about having lots of healthy things in the house to eat quickly.

Of course, I didn't plan the meals for the week but I did ok yesterday...
2 cereal bars, satsumas and apple.
Lunch was leftover quorn bolognese, Apple, pear and nectarine.
Tea was a mozzarella burger (no bun), salsa and chips.

Today same breakfast, same lunch (with the addition of a large bag of quavers.
I left work just after 6, did 10 mins of the 20 minute journey home, got onto the slip road of the next motorway and.... aaaargh! Standstill traffic, overturned lorry on the next motorway (Just 1 junction later) causing a backup to where I was. I was about 50 yards onto the slip road which made it all the more frustrating as I obviously couldn't turn around. The traffic was just stopped. Full stop. People out of cars and everything. I got home at 10pm :cry: but at least everyone was ok.
So, I'm achey, headachey and fed up! I had a few spoonfuls of mash which OH had made, some chipolatas and a biscuit. My phone died about 45 mins into the almost 4 hour journey too which was super handy. OH was supposed to leave for work at 9... oops!
EmWilk
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » August 1st, 2018, 9:27 am

Bloody hell Emma, your journey home sounds horrendous! I hope those that are feeling overworked get some respite soon.

On Sunday we had family round and I did roast pork belly. I gave it the hairdryer treatment before it went in the oven and it was the crunchiest crackling and juiciest meat. We had it with mixed greens and tenderstem broccoli, dauphinouse potatoes and buttered new potatoes, and a cider sauce. We decamped to the garden for dessert which was apple tart with local ice cream.

Roast pork and apple sauce leftovers sandwiches have been almost as good as the main event over the last few days.

Lasagne and salad on Monday evening and chicken, leek and pea risotto last night.

Dinner tonight will be something spicy...possibly a veggie noodle soup using a spicy stock we've got in the freezer. Or if it feels too warm for soup then we'll do a Thai beef salad.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby Rocky » August 1st, 2018, 9:54 am

EmWilk - that journey sounds awful. The last thing you needed!

OMCO - :chops: on the crackling.

Not off to a great start here as in addition to normal work we have the Foreign Office Minister for the overseas territories visiting which needs to be micromanaged :scared: So Monday was a salad with meatballs and sweet spud from the previous evening mixed in. Dinner was chili from the freezer which I had with roasted butternut squash (incidentally I was recently given roasted BNS with fest sprinkled over it - absolutely delicious!). Yesterday I didn't have lunch because I was either in visit meetings or being the driver for others. There was a reception on board a UK ship which was in which was quite cool. V dodgy white wine but some nice canapés - and some takeaway noodles on the way home.

I am determined to cook tonight. OH has asked for white chicken chili so might make that. Healthy but also delicious..
Rocky
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 1st, 2018, 11:02 am

For lunch yesterday I had an Eat 'smoked chilli and superseed' sandwich. I am sure there is a pun in there, or would be if I had had something for afters.
Last night I had smokey soya mince and black bean chilli with lots of garlic, cumin, coriander and oregano, and grated mature cheddar on top, then a Bon Maman strawberry mousse.
I am going to the Fromagerie on Lamb's Conduit Street for lunch...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 1st, 2018, 11:14 am

p.s. I spent a lot of time thinking about, trying to and then eventually eating fave e cicoria while I was on holiday, as it was a local speciality. Instinct told me that it could not be lovely, and I was right :) Edible though, but ideally in a smaller portion with some parmesan.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 1st, 2018, 1:02 pm

As it is still too hot to cook in the evening I am tending to cook early in the morning.

Yesterday we had melon and local cured ham followed by a sorbet at lunch time.
Supper was a rabbit stew - done with lardons and apple and a cider sauce. We had that with polenta and garlic beans. Raspberries with faiselle afterwards.

I made a vichysoise soup yesterday and it was beautifully chilled for lunch with fresh linseed bread. First muscat grapes of the season afterwards :chops: :chops:

I've a chicken for tonight but no way am I putting the oven on so I'll poach it and serve with a lemon sauce. There'll be lots left with which to be creative over the next couple of days :chef: :chef: . I think we will have some fresh goat's cheese and figs afterwards and maybe Mr R might make us a Colonel.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 1st, 2018, 1:11 pm

What's Colonel, Rats?
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 1st, 2018, 1:41 pm

Lemon sorbet wuth a shot of vodka. :drool:

You can do something similar with green apple sorbet and Calvados. Obviously not an everyday dessert!
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 1st, 2018, 1:51 pm

ah... :)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 1st, 2018, 2:01 pm

We were very tempted by apple sorbet with vodka in St John B&W yesterday but decided we didn't need dessert
Think I'd prefer calva
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop