What are you eating today? (v4)

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: What are you eating today? (v4)

Postby Zosherooney » August 25th, 2018, 7:01 am

Should have been Salad Nicoise for supper las nigh but it was cold and Mr. Z fancied the steak I had planned for today so swapped them over.....

Brekkie was cereal milk and a dash of lush cream.... :o Lunch was fried courgettes and stack of cherry tomatoes from the garden and a lolly from the DF.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » August 25th, 2018, 11:58 am

Last night we went to a fairly new and extremely highly praised restaurant here in Edinburgh, and the whole experience was really weird we thought. We knew they didnt put their menus on line, just assumed that was because everything was local and fresh that day. However we only got the wine list/drinks menu in the bar when we arrived. After our negronis...yum...we went through to eat, and were asked if we wanted to have the 4 course meal or the 7...and that each course would be a surprise, and we’d only get the menu at the end! So we thought that was very strange....didn’t want the ‘flight’ of matching wines....very expensive and too much wine really, and so found it hard to choose a wine. In the end I had a glass of Rioja and OH had a lager! We decided on the 4 courses, and though very nice, the portions were tiny. Each one was explained in great detail as it was put out. We’ve tried quite a lot of ‘tasting’ meals, and decided that on the whole we just prefer a decent size meal of 2 or 3 courses. This meal was more like something to discuss rather than something to actually eat and enjoy.
We did get the menus to bring home, and decided that we hadn’t really missed out by choosing the smaller meal, even though I could have easily eaten a cheese roll later that night!
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby Busybee » August 25th, 2018, 12:11 pm

I’m afraid I agree entirely about tasting menus, I’d much rather have a decent two course meal. I also find that in some tasting menus the food has been (for wont of a better word) just too mucked about :lol:

We had the tasting menu at Northcote Manor but enjoyed the egg mayonnaise sandwiches made by Lisa Allen the next day far more. Maybe we have unsophisticated tastes.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » August 25th, 2018, 12:18 pm

Busybee wrote:I’m afraid I agree entirely about tasting menus, I’d much rather have a decent two course meal. I also find that in some tasting menus the food has been (for wont of a better word) just too mucked about :lol:

We had the tasting menu at Northcote Manor but enjoyed the egg mayonnaise sandwiches made by Lisa Allen the next day far more. Maybe we have unsophisticated tastes.

BB

Yes, agree with all of that!
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 25th, 2018, 12:41 pm

I simply can't manage a 7 course menu these days so if we are eating in a high end restaurant we just choose from the a la carte. I cerainlly wouldn't be happy eating a totally unknown /unseen menu. What about allergies of extreme dislikes?

I am wondering if this is entirely legal these days? I thought it was obligatory to state the ingredients and mark anything that might cause problems.

I'm perfectly happy with cheffy food if it is skillful and inspired but I hate pretentious, dishonest food.

As a complete contrast I am just as happy, in the right circumstances to eat Moules frites at the Relais Routier down the road!

I made a vat of Gran's hot pot last night with thin steaks, spuds, onions and carrots last night. One for supper, I for the freezer and 1 for the friends who are coming from the UK on Monday and always stop off for a take away en route for ther house up the valley
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » August 25th, 2018, 1:02 pm

Ratatouille wrote:I simply can't manage a 7 course menu these days so if we are eating in a high end restaurant we just choose from the a la carte. I cerainlly wouldn't be happy eating a totally unknown /unseen menu. What about allergies of extreme dislikes?

I am wondering if this is entirely legal these days? I thought it was obligatory to state the ingredients and mark anything that might cause problems.

I'm perfectly happy with cheffy food if it is skillful and inspired but I hate pretentious, dishonest food.

We were asked, when booking, and again on arrival if there was anything we couldn’t or wouldn’t eat...on the whole we eat most things, so that was ok. And reading the reviews, one says that their table had a gluten-free, a pescatarian and a paleo, all were catered for, and they gave it a top rating. I think it was the pretentiousness of keeping the menus secret which we found strange, especially when we had to make a choice.
The problem for us, with tasting courses is that when you get something truly delicious you just want a full portion of it, not two mouthfuls.
Rats....you would have had no problem eating these 7 courses!
Your hot pot sounds delicious.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 25th, 2018, 1:10 pm

That is reassuring Pat.

I would probably quite like it as I have a rather low boredom threshold when it come to food.
I can't manage more than a tiny wedge of pizza for example and the thought of wading through a steak fills me with horror.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 25th, 2018, 7:39 pm

I have only had a tasting menu a couple of times, both in very special surroundings with first class chefs where those present had elected to have a surprise menu and plenty of discussion about the food and wine during the meal and with the chef afterwards. Because of the number of courses, each a delight to the palate, anything but small portions would have been hard to manage. It can be a bit pretentious and I can imagine that if you didn't plan for that kind of dinner that it could be very tiresome.

My experiences have made me want to go back for normal-sized helpings from the standard menu or else fuelled a desire to attempt to cook similar dishes.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 25th, 2018, 7:43 pm

Today - about as far as you can get from the latter :lol:

Breakfast: porridge with banana
Lunch: apple
Supper: Sweet & Sour chicken ready meal followed by trifle - both bought from Lidl on the way home.
I also bought and ate most of some interesting-looking fig and raisin rolls in the style of fig rolls which I like and rarely have. They contained a synthetic cinnamon kind of taste which was most disappointing.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 25th, 2018, 7:51 pm

My breakfast of choice lately. Avocado, tomato and Vegemite on toast with Earl Grey. I saw a suggestion on FB recently of having this combination on rice cakes. Might get some rice cakes in!

Lunch was a jacket spud out with mum. I had it with veggie chilli. It needed more heat!

Dinner was my last portion of curry that hadn't been frozen, bulked out a bit with chick peas and mopped up with a knobby end of crusty bread. I have a hankering for a choc ice....
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Rocky » August 26th, 2018, 5:09 am

Felt really rubbish all day yesterday which isn't ideal on hols but it was the first day we hadn't had glorious weather so my timing was good. I had a bit of soup for lunch and snacked on crisps. I made some mashed potato for dinner and had that with peas. More exciting stuff today hopefully....

We have some haloumi like cheese that I think we will have for lunch watching the Vuelta and then the Grand Prix (after a long mountain walk this morning). I think OH fancies going out this evening so possibly something like goulash with prazen krompir - which is the most delicious potato onion concoction ever.
Rocky
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » August 26th, 2018, 10:22 am

Just had my cereals, he had toast and marminglade. Lunch is a mish mash of hungarian sausage, the end of the rat. fried tatos and some courgette fritters with cheese for me. Supper will be pizza, small for me as I am off to the quiz (chips served there), he has an early start tomorrow so will miss the quiz.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 26th, 2018, 12:58 pm

Through the morning i nibbled on celery, satsumas and a fig roll.

Lunch was homemade leek and potato soup and a slice of bread for dunking. Topped off with a small piece of my dad's wife's fruit cake and a satsuma.

Yesterday my mum brought me a bag of groceries which included some roast chicken. I was not going to look a gift horse in the mouth and have decided to mix the chicken with noodles, teriyaki sauce, chilli and sweetheart cabbage for dinner, but have asked mum not to buy me meat again as I am going back to a veggie diet. It's been going through my mind for quite some time. Has to be done. :grin:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 26th, 2018, 6:13 pm

Yesterday we were in Sevenoaks and ended up eating in Zizzi.
I had tortelloni, which they describe as 'Red flame-pepper tortelloni filled with ricotta & lemon in a smoky pepper pesto & butter sauce, with fire-roasted peppers, pea shoots & a riserva cheese crisp.' It was actually really (surprisingly) nice. The pasta tasted as if it had been smoked. It was very dark in there, and I can't see well in low lighting otherwise I might have noticed and gone for a starter instead. Looking at the menu, now, they sound interesting.
Very indulgently, we went out for Indian meal in the evening: I had onion bhajis, then two side dishes - brinjal bhaji and mutter paneer, and some garlic cheese naan which I shared with husband. Quite small portions and no complimentary poppadoms and relishes (:o They were charging 80p per poppadom and 70p per relish, which wouldn't break the bank but... feeling stingy and I suppose it made me acknowledge that this was actually genuine extra food. Being monetarily free doesn't mean it's calorie free!) so not too much food.
Today, ate out for lunch again. I had a starter instead of a main: Potato Gnocchi, Broad Beans, Preserved Lemon, Lovage, Pecorino, 'smashed cucumber with yoghurt and tahini' on the side to share. (I have seen this on a few menus and was intrigued, especially given my cucumber glut.) Then, Belgian waffle, dulce de leche sundae.
I so need to diet now, or at least stop eating desserts and sweet things. Still eating like I want to put on weight.

In our (or my) defence of all this eating out, have not eaten or indeed been out for nearly a month. (Husband has though...)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 26th, 2018, 6:19 pm

Hope you feel better soon Rocky.

Today: Breakfast: jam & banana sandwich.
During day: mini rice cakes
Supper: Egg & beans on toast. Lidl individual trifle.

Looking forward to some clean eating tomorrow!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Rocky » August 27th, 2018, 1:12 pm

Thank you EM. I had a bit of a rotten bug but right as rain today. I am rather rufty tufty and had my being ill impacting on something we want to do so OH was rather worried when I said I wasn't up to having a walk yesterday (he is firmy in the man flu camp :rolleyes: ) We went out to watch a triathlon instead - kayaking, mountain biking and hill running - in the pouring rain. Had lunch out and just had some soup. Dinner was lots of nice bits and pieces including a beetroot, feta and mint salad I invented :chops: .

Woke up feeling a million trillion times better and to cold, but glorious, weather. So we have had the most amazing walk. I am determined to work out how to,post a photo because I have never seen mountains so clearly and amazingly as today. We have had lunch in of all of leftover bits from yesterday. The weather is still amazing so will go down to Lake Bohinj in a bit maybe for some paddleboarding. Might get a pizza on the way back.
Rocky
Registered

Postby EmWilk » August 27th, 2018, 3:14 pm

Busybee wrote:We had the tasting menu at Northcote Manor but enjoyed the egg mayonnaise sandwiches made by Lisa Allen the next day far more. Maybe we have unsophisticated tastes.

I'm going to a "special event" evening at northcote in a couple of weeks where the evening's food is cooked by Lisa Allen and Moonira off the last series of Masterchef. Never been before and am looking forward to it but hoping it really will be fab as it was expensive (I bought 2 tickets for me and sister for her 40th present)

Breakfast Saturday was a bagel whilst packing. Bit of fruit toast and a cereal bar with a coffee en route to Birmingham.
A veggie gyoza noodle bowl at Eat. in Birmingham when I found that the one food van I've been harping on about for the last 6 years was shut :cry: one day, I will re-live the Afghani bolani bread!
At night we ate at Brown's which catered for all tastes. I had a cherry tomato tart tatin to start with a courgette and basil salad.
Main was chicken schnitzel with fried egg and fries. Both really decent actually!
Unusually for me, lots of alcohol consumed including prosecco, lager, cocktails, brandy and peach white wine based sangria, jagerbombs :oops: and then didn't sleep until about 7am because of the heartburn every time I lay down :lol: that'll teach me to think I'm still young ;)

I still managed to wake up (or rather, be woken up!) for breakfast though so i had some melon and a toaated bagel with bacon, mushrooms, hash brown and fried egg!

A ridiculously indulgent hot chocolate with all the trimmings at a shopping village later on.
And Chinese takeaway to round the indulgence off! Sesame prawn toast, chicken and veg in black bean sauce, rice AND chips!

Today, I've had a veggie sausage pitta for brunch.
Just had half of a half of a tin (so a quarter!) of Heinz tomato soup which has been in a plastic pot in the freezer for I don't know how long. Leo had the other quarter. Then we had fruit toast with nutella and an apple.

I have some salmon in the fridge so we'll have that for tea somehow... any suggestions? The fridge is hardly well stocked so it might be a use up job.

Glad you're feeling better Rocky.
EmWilk
Registered

Postby Busybee » August 27th, 2018, 3:24 pm

I’m sure you will enjoy Northcote EM, the food is fab and the service is excellent. It’s just very fine dining, every element has been prosessed beyond belief.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 27th, 2018, 6:24 pm

I woke very late so some strawberries that I had prepared to mix in with morning muesli was still put together with the addition of a satsuma but was eaten for lunch!

My chicken teriyaki noodles were eaten for an early dinner.

I'm getting nibbly now, so knowing that I have sweet and savoury snacks in, and that GBM will set my belly rumbling, I am sure something else will be consumed before bed...
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 27th, 2018, 8:54 pm

Breakfast: toast and tomato
Lunch: jacket potato & baked beans
Supper: Veg and butter beans cooked with coconut milk, garlic & ginger with noodles. Grapes.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 27th, 2018, 10:35 pm

Late night snack. My last fig roll. Must buy more. :chops:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 28th, 2018, 10:19 pm

Alpen and a satsuma.

Grated Cheddar, tomato and pickle wholemeal sandwich with steak flavoured McCoy's crisps.

Jacket spud with Vegemite, chopped celery and baked beans spiced up a bit with onions, cumin, smoked paprika and habanero chilli sauce.

Shopping tomorrow and aiming to stock up my fridge (and me!) with fresh fruit and salad.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 28th, 2018, 10:23 pm

I love fig rolls!

Breakfast: Rice Krispies & banana
Lunch: Beefburger en croute (a Waitrose RTC delicacy I've had in the freezer for a while) and lots of assorted veg with GD. Grapes. 1 x chocolate Rice Krispie cake,
Afternoon at the park: Cornetto
Supper: Salmon & assorted veg with GD. Lots of veg. Grapes. Rice Krispie cake,
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » August 29th, 2018, 1:00 pm

I haven't a clue when I last updated! Hope everyone is ok - will read back shortly.

Last night I made a cream of vegetable soup which we'll have with some homemade cheddar and onion bread rolls. I'm going to make a ragu this afternoon too so either tonight/tomorrow we'll have soup/spag bol but not decided which way around.

I've just had a rather lovely iced cupcake (i'm having another girl so the gender reveal 'boy' cake needed eating by someone :D )

Lunch was some greek salad, some sliced chicken and a few seeded crackers.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 29th, 2018, 1:14 pm

We have just had a very indulgent lunch - well especially for Mr R. After my Ocado order, brought by a friend we had a proper ploughman's lunch.
Double Gloucester cheese, crusty bread an apple, pickles and chutney and a piece of Melton Mowbary pie. all washed down (for him) with a pint of English beer.

Tonight HM chilli , avocado salsa and tortillas. Something fruity afterwards.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby MagicMarmite » August 29th, 2018, 2:22 pm

Patpoyntz.
That sounds like The Kitchin, except it's not new.
My friend and I go as often as we can, and we love it, particularly the element of suprise.
I won't go into to further detail incase it's somewhere else!

We really haven't eaten anything of note recently, bit of this and that.
Last night we had Chinese Takeaway for Dd's 17th birthday, I ate too much.
We had pancake rolls, crispy seaweed, sweet and sour king prawns, duck with mushrooms, Singapore rice noodles, plain rice, fried beansprouts and prawn crackers.
Tonight is leftovers, Dd is eating in Edinburgh as she's on her birthday day out at the zoo with her boyfriend.
MagicMarmite
Registered

Postby MagicMarmite » August 29th, 2018, 2:23 pm

Patpoyntz.
That sounds like The Kitchin, except it's not new.
My friend and I go as often as we can, and we love it, particularly the element of suprise.
I won't go into to further detail incase it's somewhere else!

We really haven't eaten anything of note recently, bit of this and that.
Last night we had Chinese Takeaway for Dd's 17th birthday, I ate too much.
We had pancake rolls, crispy seaweed, sweet and sour king prawns, duck with mushrooms, Singapore rice noodles, plain rice, fried beansprouts and prawn crackers.
Tonight is leftovers, Dd is eating in Edinburgh as she's on her birthday day out at the zoo with her boyfriend.
MagicMarmite
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » August 29th, 2018, 2:51 pm

Hi MMarmite, we go to the Kitchen several times a year, love it, and in the past, have indulged in the tasting menu with wine, a few times, though I think we have usually sighted the menu before starting. Our dear sons usually pay for it for birthdays etc, don’t know what else to buy us. This is a new place called Fhior....getting wonderful reviews. The owner /chef used to have Norn down in Leith.
I think on this visit to Edinburgh, apart from going to old, reliable favourites, we most enjoyed The Little Chartroom...only 6 tables, exquisite food. The chef/ owner is from The Kitchin and Castle Terrace, her husband runs front of house. can thoroughly recommend.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 29th, 2018, 4:29 pm

I keep meaning to ask this. What does HM stand for on here?

Leftover spicy baked beans and mushrooms on toast for breakfast.

Lunch out with mum and littlest nephew. I had mushroom and cheese omelette with a huge side salad.

Dinner will be meat free burger in a piece of baguette with all the necessary accompaniments including lots of very tasty looking red coloured cos lettuce that I picked up from the reduced section in Sainsbury's.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Bubbles » August 29th, 2018, 5:33 pm

Think it means Home Made?
Bubbles
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » August 29th, 2018, 6:48 pm

Yes it does
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 29th, 2018, 7:36 pm

What a lovely lunch Rats!

Breakfast: Rice Krispies and banana
Lunch: Tomato soup and cheese scone.
Supper: salmon, jacket potato and salad. Grapes.

Just read em's post and realised I had forgotten to say congratulations OMCO!!
Last edited by earthmaiden on August 29th, 2018, 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby EmWilk » August 29th, 2018, 9:03 pm

Ooooh OMCO congrats on the pink one! I hope Lilia enjoyed the gender reveal!

Monday night was salmon painted with a mix of honey and blood orange vinegar and baked. With some veg and mexican type rice.

Tuesday, I had no breakfast :o
Lunch, I forgot my leftover salmon so I had chicken salad box and soup.
Tea was pressed and spiced tofu woth dressed noodles and veg.

Today, I took breakfast of baked oats (baked in mini muffin not-tin) but didn't get chance to eat them so had after lunch with a brew.
Lunch was the salmon leftovers whuch I remembered.
Tea has been 2 thick slices of cooked gammon joint, a few chips, cauliflower cheese with halved cherry toms on top before baking and some peas. Really good!
EmWilk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 29th, 2018, 10:18 pm

Bubbles wrote:Think it means Home Made?

Ah, yes! Thanks!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Rocky » August 30th, 2018, 6:56 am

Congratulations OMCO. I bet Lilia will be excited to have a sister!

Holiday drawing to a close but still having a lovely time. We went to the little place in the village again on Tuesday evening where we were treated to marinated trout (that the cook's dad had caught that afternoon) - it was very delicately flavored and had capers. Absolutely delicious. That was followed by 'Ricet' - which in restaurants is described as barley mush so we had never tried it. It was the most amazing barley based stew with lots of veg and smoked ham :chops: :chops: . That was followed by what I think was a kind of bread pudding. OH had both helpings again - he said he felt like a space hopper on the way home he was so full!

Yesterday had a lovely long bike ride up a stunning valley and were starving for lunch. We shared a schnitzel and beef goulash with some delicious prazen krompir. We kind of tricked ourselves into having a bit of a longer than intended walk in the afternoon so we're also starving for dinner. We had a barbecue of cevapccici, griddled courgettes and peppers, a beetroot, feta and mint salad and a tomato salad. The are enough leftovers to have tonight to use up as we leave tomorrow. Just heading off for a long run and lunch out. Suspect I'll be starving again.....
Rocky
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » August 30th, 2018, 11:32 am

Thank you! We're all very happy :luv:

Crumpets this morning followed by about a 1/3 of a cup cake...for breakfast. :shock: :oops:

Apple mid morning and cheese, ham and red onion chutney roll for lunch with some rocket and watercress.

Dinner will be the veg soup with the warm homemade cheddar and spring onion rolls. DD has tasted the soup and announced she doesn't like the taste of 'yucky green soup' so will be having a portion of shepherds pie from the freezer. She's knows that the rule is that she must taste everything properly before declaring not to like something but she was actually heaving as as she ate it so i'll let her off. No idea what her problem is, I think it tastes wonderful :D
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 30th, 2018, 6:26 pm

Alpen with strawberries and satsuma early on.

Lunch was garlic and herb cream cheese, pickle, tomato and lettuce sandwich with a scattering of steak flavoured McCoy's crisps. A mint choc ice for pud.

I raided the RTC section in the Co-op last night. My 75p haul included a seeded loaf and six burger buns which I froze, but also some tendersteam broccoli, fresh corn on the cob and new potatoes. Some of the latter three I simmered with an egg and dressed the lot (egg shelled!) with a sun dried tomato pesto dressing while still hot. Just about to tuck into a 0% fat Greek yoghurt which has a layer of mango puree. Yum.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby EmWilk » August 30th, 2018, 10:05 pm

OneMoreCheekyOne wrote:DD has tasted the soup and announced she doesn't like the taste of 'yucky green soup' so will be having a portion of shepherds pie from the freezer. She's knows that the rule is that she must taste everything properly before declaring not to like something but she was actually heaving as as she ate it so i'll let her off. No idea what her problem is, I think it tastes wonderful

This made me laugh :lol:
I think Leo seems to be trying a lot more but only when we put the time and effort in to eat with him properly. I'm definitely going to adopt your policy though Emma!

Anyway... today, I had a toasted bagel thin with butter for breakfast.
Lunch was lentil and bean soup, made with ham stock and with some shredded ham added. Along with a wholemeal pitta.
Tea has been a big salad with chicken, ham, boiled egg, avocado and wholemeal pitta chips.
EmWilk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 30th, 2018, 10:08 pm

Reading back today is making me hungry! Love the sound of those spring onion rolls. I am attempting to embark on a healthy eating fortnight.

Today I had a frozen smoothie (home made from all kinds of fruit & veg) which lasted me until afternoon, a small bunch of grapes and then tonight, fish, a small jacket potato and lots of salad.

Also had a nice caramelised biscuit at a meeting tonight.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » August 31st, 2018, 8:54 am

Good luck with it Emma! :D Lilia still has regular fads and phases!

Rats, I think you commented on the crab risotto - it was lovely! We're having it again tonight assuming OH gets to the fishmonger today to buy the crab and samphire. We have the rest of the stuff in.

Boring lunch today using up stuff from the fridge so i've got a ham and cheese roll with piccalilli and a small pot of salad leaves with tomatoes and yellow peppers. Plus an apple.

What veg do you put in your smoothies EM? I've added spinach a couple of times to ours but that's it I think.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 31st, 2018, 7:55 pm

OMCO - we have a juice/raw food cafe nearby which also does juice plans for people which are great as a weightloss/detox (I know some will say you don't need to detox, it's more just a way of weaning oneself off junk food and feeling great at the end of it). They were great promoters of Jason Vine originally who has heaps of books of those kinds of diet as well as general juicing books which have loads of great juice recipes. I tend to use a Nutribullet these days rather than juicer as I like to include the fibre from the fruit & veg. My current 4 day batch of smoothies contain spinach, lime, avocado, cucumber, broccoli, apple, pineapple - I think that's about it! I make a whole batch and freeze them then on the day they take all morning to slurp. I love citrus ones and when juicing, parsnip, pear and ginger is lovely (and I hate parsnips to eat!).

Today - much as yesterday- - smoothie and grapes during the day. Then tonight when got on from work, fish fingers (I was going to have something else but they beckoned), sweet potato, stir fried assorted veg.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » September 1st, 2018, 5:35 am

Brekkie yesterday was mile high bacon sarnies for me and omelette ones for him washed down with water from the water fountain at Gatters. Lunch was rice crispy cake, refrigerator cake, bag o crisps and small clementine and an apple on the ferry to Ischia and supper was at the hotel. Salad bar and bread, mussels and pasta, small escalope capri style (mozzarella and tomato) cold potato croquettes (I left mine) aubergine with mint ? Lemoncello sorbet/iecream, brandy( :o ) and a coffee.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 1st, 2018, 12:23 pm

Curry evening tonight so we just had HM egg mayo with a tomato salad for lunch

Tonight :

Poppadoms and raitas

Creamy Lamb Passanda
Moderately hot Kashmiri chicken
spicy okra
HM naanbread
various pickles and chutneys

Exotic fruit platter with a choice of cocnut, mango or passion fruit sorbets.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » September 1st, 2018, 2:03 pm

EM my OH and DD would love that smoothie! I’m quite boring with mine and tend to stick to mixed berries, apples, plum, rhubarb and sometimes yoghurt. I can’t stand bananas either and so many smoothie recipes include them.

We had lunch out earlier after dance class and hair appointment for me. The service was atrocious but I eventually had a halloumi salad with bulgur and a lemon herb dressing.

We’ve got a small joint (half leg I think) of lamb to roast. I’ll marinade it shortly. I think we might light the bbq and finish it on there. Sides will be crushed rosemary potatoes and some bbq’d sliced veg...peppers, courgettes etc. I’m pondering a mint and basil pesto to have on the side.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 1st, 2018, 7:00 pm

I like bananas but am not keen in smoothies.

What a banquet Rats!

My healthy eating halo slipped today. We had one of the dreaded Costco buffets at work to spend some money we were awarded for being a good team :).
Started off with the smoothie.
Lunch was large slice of Pepperoni pizza and a Danish pastry :oops:
Supper was some stir fried veg with sweet potato and an egg.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby EmWilk » September 1st, 2018, 7:09 pm

Friday... I had porridge with banana (found sliced in the freezer... it tasted a bit weird) and nutella before I was in back to back meetings 9 til 12:30. I had a bit of a melt down at the end of the last one and went out for some breathing space and got an iced latte at the Starbucks drive through whilst I did.
Had lunch when I got back which was chicken, ham and boiled egg salad with some lentil soup.
A massive chocolate muffin mid afternoon.
Out for tea and I had chicken Kiev which was lovely.

Today, veggie sausage, roast tomatoes and cheese bagel.
Went for an overhaul on my mop which took 3.5 hours :terrified: So had a couple of brews and lotus biscuits there.
Leftover cauliflower cheese and ham when I got back.
Been out for tea with mum, her OH and Leo. Garlic breads and then I had a really good chicken cacciatore and finished with tiramisu.
Am ready for bed now :lol:
EmWilk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 1st, 2018, 9:26 pm

Husband and I shared a cheese and pickle and an egg mayo sandwich in a cafe on the Isle of Grain today. Nothing special.
Dinner was left over melazane parmigiana that I made yesterday with homegrown tomatoes. This time roasted them with a little balsamic vinegar, then made into a tomato sauce with onion, thyme and garlic. Just that.
then we had a scone each with clotted cream and strawberry jam

Just realized I have not made any jam this summer/autumn...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » September 2nd, 2018, 5:17 am

Breakfast in the Don Pedro was an enlightening affair. It caters for Italians, English and German. So brekkies consist of cereal, fabulous sourdough (brown and white) bread, cold meats, cheeses, croissants, cake tomatoes, cake :shock: superb coffee and the star of the show for me has to be the blood orange juice (freshly squeezed) it is to die for !!!

We made a couple of sarnies out of bread and meat and cheese for our lunch so together with a couple of tomatoes we were sorted.

Supper was a poor mans salad nicoise (no tuna, anchovies or red pepper) sadly the green beans were out of a tin but the potatoes were local, fresh and waxy. Some tasty turkey in a creamy sauce with rosemary, roast potatoes and some stewed mixed peppers. A couple of small bobbles of ice cream and some local white wine, topped off with a cappachino and brandy and I slept very much better, the mattress is firmer than ours at home but at least it is of a decent size and not a standard double.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Rocky » September 2nd, 2018, 12:26 pm

Sounds like work is still a bit tricky EmWilk :( I go back tomorrow after three weeks off. I'm feeling refreshed but wonder how long that will last :shock:

We are in Puerto Rico on our way home. Dinner on Friday night was at Frankfurt airport and I had a falafel 'burger'. Lunch on the plane yesterday was actually quite good - chicken with an arrabiata sauce with polenta. We were quite shattered when we arrived here so went to a steakhouse in the hotel and shared a little fillet steak, a couple of prawns and some crab cakes. Very nice. Just had a very uninspiring bit of fruit for breakfast. We get back to BVI at midday so might pop into the place on the way home for a spot of lunch and they do an amazing tuna and avocado tartare. For dinner we are having a Thai veggie red curry - we fancy something spicy that doesn't have meat after so much hearty mountain grub :lol:
Rocky
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 2nd, 2018, 7:41 pm

Welcome home Rocky! Hope the break has provided renewed energy :hug:
Today: smoothie
Doughnut offered at work - irresistible :oops:
Egg, beans, Smash (so tired, took no effort ).

Hopefully something more exotic tomorrow.
earthmaiden
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop