What are you eating today? (v4)

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: What are you eating today? (v4)

Postby earthmaiden » September 3rd, 2018, 8:37 pm

Breakfast: green smoothie
Lunch: mixed salad with Lidl tinned salmon in dill sauce
Supper: Big veg stir fry including some cannelini beans.
Also- some grapes.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 4th, 2018, 1:27 pm

I made celery soup yesterday because it was quite cool outside and we had enough for today. I made some fresh cheese scones this morning because we were out of bread.

Last evening I had a piece of roast veal to use up from Sunday. It was n't very flavouful when first cooked so I had to try and cheer it up a bit. I turned it into a spicy parmentier - shepherd's pie minus without the shepherd. It was a lot tasssstier thn the original!
We finished the exotic fruit salad afterwards.

Supper tonight is a wild mushroom risotto with rhubarb and strawberry jellies for pud.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Catherine » September 4th, 2018, 2:51 pm

Ratatouille wrote:I made celery soup yesterday because it was quite cool outside and we had enough for today. I made some fresh cheese scones this morning because we were out of bread.

Lack of bread was my reason for whipping up a batch of cheese scones for lunch today. Served with homemade watercress soup that I added peas and broccoli to as they were starting to wilt, and some freshly picked cucumbers and cherry tomatoes. (plant to plate in seconds) Kids all happy
Catherine
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 4th, 2018, 6:05 pm

When my children had grown up, I learned that they used to pray we'd run out of bread so they'd get cheese scones (filled with cheese and marmite) for lunch!

Breafast: Big bowl of fresh fruit salad
Lunch: bean salad with lots of veggies and tinned fish (couldn't finish it all).
Out with friends: a slice of Bara Broth
Supper: The remains of lunch with extra stir fried veg and egg. Plums.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Rocky » September 5th, 2018, 10:38 am

I'm not sure I've ever had a cheese scone let alone made one - might remedy that! On Sunday when we got home I found a tub of HM a pesto in the freezer so we had that - OH with pasta and me with roasted veg. Minday was the spicy Thai red curry with stacks of veg. Last night OH was out so I roasted an aubergine and invented a spicy tomato sauce to have with it. We really can't decide on tonight. Annoyingly, having been determined that the holiday marked the end of responding at work in crisis mode I'm straight back into it :( which means I find it v hard to think sensibly about meals. Maybe an omlette and salad. Tomorrow is a year since the hurricane - I feel I ought to mark the occasion in a culinary way!
Rocky
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » September 5th, 2018, 11:13 am

Breakfast was chocolate brioche and fresh fruit.

Lunch will be some smoked mackerel with salad and lemon dressing. Probably more fruit too.

Dinner will be something with chicken...possibly chicken in a cream, white wine, leek and tarragon sauce. With green beans and garlic and thyme hassleback potatoes on the side.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 5th, 2018, 7:38 pm

Hope you find something suitable Rocky! What a year you've had.
OMCO - your dinner sounds delicious.

Breakfast: Fresh fruit salad
Lunch: Baxters Bean & Smoked Bacon soup.
Snack: Big slice of pineapple.
Supper: Patty pan courgette stuffed with veg and rice in a Bechamel sauce with mini sausage balls (It worked really well!).Stewed apple with vanilla Swedish glace.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby EmWilk » September 5th, 2018, 8:28 pm

Sunday I had some fruit toast for breakfast.
Caribbean chicken salad at a cafe in town for lunch
Half a caramel brownie later on.
Tea was chicken and ham salad with wholemeal pitta chips.

Monday, cereal bars and fruit for breakfast.
Lunch was leftover salad.
Tea was linguine bolognese made with diced beef in The slow cooker and salad.

Tuesday, I had the same breakfast.
Lunch was KFC to try and cheer up someone from work (and myself!)
Tea was noodles, veg and veggie dumplings.

Brekkie today... veggie sausage, roasted mushrooms and tomatoes in a wholemeal pitta.
Lunch was leftover noodles and dumplings.
Tea has been really nice, just what I needed... roasted spuds, some leftover bolognese, cauli, broccoli and cabbage.
EmWilk
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » September 6th, 2018, 8:54 am

Look after yourself Rocky! :hug:

earthmaiden wrote:OMCO - your dinner sounds delicious.
DD was messing around at bath time and so it cooked for 5-10 minutes longer than I would have liked! Still nice though.

Emma, you have got me craving dumplings now!

Breakfast was more of the naughty chocolate brioche with fruit. It's one of those tear and share things but it seems to be going on forever.

Lunch will be a boring cheese, ham and coleslaw sandwich with an apple and a packet of pom bears.

We've had lots of lovely stuff arrive in the Abel and Cole box this morning. I think dinner is going to be steak (I can't remember the cut but I think it's a bavette/flank or similar) - with chimichurri, corn on the cob, balsamic, sea salt and parsley tomatoes and some grilled portobello mushrooms with black garlic.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby Rocky » September 6th, 2018, 10:33 am

So much delicious sounding food! Thank you EM. I have to say I feel very 'something' today and keep thinking 'this time last year' nWe have had THE most exciting way to mark the occasion. Got home from work last night and all the windows and doors in our main living area had been put in - so we were boarded up for 364 days not a year :bounce:

Yesterday was roti Wednesday so that was lunch and particularly delicious it was too. Dinner was a bacon, mushroom and feta omlette with tiny whole baby roasted spuds (I bought them because they looked cute but dreadful for roasting - lovely and crisp in the oven but soggy as soon as they hit the plate) and a rocket and tomato salad.

We are joining some of the people we spent the storm with for dinner - preceded by drinks for more reminiscing! The restaurant is doing a special Irma menu so who knows what that will be. I hope it doesn't try to be too close to what it was like - for the first three days OH lived on half a small salami and I had a piece of pitta and a few spoons of peanut butter. Great way to lose weight :rolleyes:
Rocky
Registered

Postby Seatallan » September 6th, 2018, 1:43 pm

Gosh Rocky, I still remember your 'see you all on the other side' post before you signed off. It was SUCH a relief when we heard from you again. :hug:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 6th, 2018, 8:39 pm

What a good idea to have dinner with others who have endured the year. You have something new to celebrate too with the boards down!

Breakfast: Fresh fruit salad.
Lunch: Tomato and basil salad with other things added. Stewed apple and Swedish Glace.
Supper: Remainder of last night's stuffed courgette dish. Fresh pineapple.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » September 7th, 2018, 6:53 am

Brilliant news Rocky! I hope the meal was good too.

MORE brioche and fruit this morning. I'm not buying it again, it's like the magic porridge pot :D

Lunch will be some leftover chimichurri, heirloom tomato salad, feta and i'll make some cous cous or bulghar to go with it all.

Dinner will be homemade fish and chips with lemon and tartare sauce. With some combination of leeks, peas and/or spinach on the side.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » September 8th, 2018, 6:06 pm

Good on you Rocks :tu: Don't know how I would cope.

Seafood risotto was perfectly cooked, followed by a burger in what was described as a green pepper sauce, I was thinking bell peppers but of course it was green peppercorn sauce with marinated courgettes and rosemary and olive oil potatoes. pud was hazel nut ice cream... Mmmmm
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby EmWilk » September 8th, 2018, 8:57 pm

What an emotional time Rocky, must bring it all back. Congrats on the windows!

Thursday, I can't remember breakfast but I worked from h9me unbthe afternoon so had leftover veg and bolognese and lots of picking all afternoon :rolleyes:

Friday, I had a veggie sausage and ketchup pitta for breakfast I think.
Lunch was veggie sushi, carrots and hummus, crisps.
Tea was terrible, terrible dominos... I blame OH!

Today, I had fruit toast for breakfast.
I went into the office this afternoon and got a embarrassingly "substantial" lunch en route... a sticky rice and veg bowl and a veggie pasty and a pack of biscuits for us all to share :oops:
Then, unexpectedly, my boss (with whom I haven't been on the best of terms with recently) brought me a hot sandwich from home made by his wife. I daren't tell him I'd eaten! I did eat the sandwich later on like a pig and also because, y'know, gratitude ;) it was delicious! A slightly spiced omelette with potatoes and onions in some slightly toasted white bread. Amazing!
Tea has been rather piggish too... a nando's style fakeaway of peri peri chicken, halloumi, spicy rice, veg and spicy chips. Very nice but i can hardly move now!
EmWilk
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 10th, 2018, 12:37 pm

Breakfast: bite size shredded wheat and a little milk

Lunch: Pork and onion relish sandwich thin and a small bag of crisps

Dinner: A slimming world recipe - chicken chasseur and mashed potato followed by a fruit yoghurt.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » September 12th, 2018, 9:54 am

I made a chilli yesterday which we had last night and I think it was the best chilli we've made in ages. It had a combination of diced chargrilled peppers, smoked and black garlic, chipotle chillies as well as some russian roulette chillies included in there which I think made it.

Granola this morning.

Lunch will probably be leftover chilli with some kind of carb.

Dinner will be venison fillets with smoked garlic mash, cavolo nero and a red wine and blackberry sauce.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby Rocky » September 12th, 2018, 10:01 am

That chilli sounds lovely OMCO.

Well we have had a bit of a 'this time last year...' Week. Emotional but good. I am still marveling at all the natural light we now have in the house!

Trying to think back. Friday night was ribeye steaks and a pancetta risotto and broccoli. In the day we took a boat out to support a fundraiser where people were swimming 10km :shock: Lunch of bbq fish, ribs and chicken was provided afterwards. For dinner OH had pasta and pesto and I had roasted veg. We met some friends for brunch on Sunday and I had fish tacos. Dinner was minute steaks with a spicy tomato sauce and brocolli.

OH flew to London on Monday for a meeting (h is back tomorrow - ridiculous to have had to go!). I had all the veg that needed to be used up with leftover spicy sauce and a sausage I found in the freezer. Last night I made a leek and potato pie from BBC Good Food - more of a pasty really. Had that with a variety of veg. Roti Wednesday today for lunch but I might actually save it and bring it home for dinner!
Rocky
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 12th, 2018, 12:56 pm

Breakfast: Bacon on toast with a spoonful of baked beans

Lunch: Turkey sandwich thin

Dinner: Chilli con carne and rice followed by a fruit yoghurt
icelesley
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 12th, 2018, 2:00 pm

I took myself out for lunch today in the interests of research for an upcoming birthday lunch with colleagues next week (Old favourite, The Three Kings is still out of action, kitchen wise). I went to the Coin laundry on Exmouth Market. I had barely sat down when they offered me a coffee. I said no, I wanted to have lunch, and was looked at as if this was a non sequitur.
Someone eventually came over to take a food order, but offered me coffee again too. I was now guessing this must be an Australian place, at least insofar that other Australian eateries seem to offer one coffee before the meal.
The meal was first: baked eggs with courgette, Ogleshield cheese and chilli served with toasted sourdough.
Dessert was black cherry and lemon curd cheese cake. I would have capitulated on the coffee front at this point, but it was not offered, so I didn't bother.
I should not be eating again today... but I am craving sugar right now!

Last night was just carciofi with a tomato (home grown) fresh sage from the garden and not fresh thyme sauce with onion and garlic - eaten with a liberal amount of grated caciocavallo that I brought back from Puglia.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » September 13th, 2018, 10:51 am

Nice sounding lunch Herbi.

Breakfast was special K. Lunch will be a smoked chicken salad plus a little tub of guacamole. OH made it and i've noticed he's included a couple of black olives in mine by mistake instead of just green. I'll be removing those little balls of Beelzebub! :twisted:

Dinner will be spaghetti carbonara - yippee!
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » September 13th, 2018, 11:01 am

I expect it's been a very emotional week Rocky! It really does put things into perspective :hug:
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » September 14th, 2018, 9:41 am

Crumpets for breakfast.

Leftover carbonara for lunch.

We're meeting my mum & dad and OHs' mum and sister for a couple of early doors drinks this evening. It's a tiny village 'locals' pub along the lane from MIL and they put out a pretty decent selection of cheese board, fruit platters, salad, cured meats, pates, breads etc for people to help themselves to on a Friday. Unfortunately I can't eat a lot of it currently but I will eat some of the allowed cheese as well of plenty of bread and pickles! We'll probably have a snack when we get home if we need it.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 15th, 2018, 8:53 am

Breakfast: bite size shredded wheat sliced banana and milk

Lunch: soup and a roll

Dinner: chicken for me steak for OH, salad and wedges followed by strawberries and cream
icelesley
Registered

Postby Rocky » September 15th, 2018, 10:31 am

Thanks OMCO :hug:

I did indeed bring my roti home on Wednesday and it was lovely - a particularly spicy one.i had a day of feeling like I was masquarading as a grown up as I have been appointed to a board (which will ultimately oversee $3 billion of projects :shock: ). Anyway that meeting was six hours long so it was decided to get some sandwiches mid way through but the person charged with ordering got the wrong end of the stick and ordered full blown lunch so had a lovely piece of fish in a lemon sauce with roasted tomatoes and some veg. Dinner was a work one. I hadn'tt ordered a starter so was given bits by the people around me so had a coconut prawn, some calamari and a mini crab cake. For main I had mahi and Caesar salad. Yesterday was so busy lunch got missed. In theory I finish work at one on Friday but that hasn't happened since Irma so quite late out and hadn't done any shopping so had a feta, chicken and pesto pizza from our lovely local restaurant. Out tonight for a friend's birthday to an Italian place so no idea what I'll have.
Rocky
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 15th, 2018, 2:13 pm

:idea: Maybe some help from your bees was just what they needed? :D
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » September 15th, 2018, 9:39 pm

A slice of toast with choky spread and P nut butter, lunch was as per the mozzarella thread and supper was a take on Moqueca de Pixie (fish) and jasmine rice. The food at the hotel was basic and well cooked but we found it a bit on the bland side. It's always the case when cooking for different nationalities.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » September 16th, 2018, 5:00 pm

Lots of lovely food yesterday at a national trust place and then country pub lunch with friends. Dinner in an Italian restaurant with another two couples in the evening...I chose the fillet steak and wild mushroom tagliatelle for my main with a truffle cream sauce. It was so rich but the portion was smallish so it worked.

Today..

Boiled egg and soldiers for breakfast. A plum mid morning.

Veg soup and a warm buttered roll for lunch.

Dinner was roast pork belly with apples from the garden, roasted onions, potatoes, kale, leeks and cabbage, gravy.

OH is now overseeing bath time and I’ve just put some apple strudel pastries which we’ve made in the oven to have with cinnamon and caramel ice cream when they come downstairs.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby Rocky » September 16th, 2018, 7:01 pm

What a lovely image of a domestic scene OMCO.
Rocky
Registered

Postby EmWilk » September 16th, 2018, 11:39 pm

Blimey, not updated for a full week! See what I can remember...

Sunday - roast pork loin whuch I rubbed with chilli flakes and fennel served with potatoes, loads of veg and gravy.
Monday - butternut squash, chickpea and spinach curry, I think. The leftovers of which I had for lunch The next day.
Tuesday - stir fried veg with something but I can't remember what...
Wednesday - my sister and I went to northcote for a "Special Evening with Lisa (Allen) and Moonira (Hinglotwala)". Lisa being the head chef and Moonira being one of the final few from 2018 Masterchef. Absolutely amazing... very authentic indian food with a fine dining twist. Highlights were the amazing capes and the medley of chicken first course (of 6). Oh, and the twist on aloo gobi. Pics on my insta for anyone who follows.
Thursday - boring in comparison! A veggie sausage, egg and cheese bagel.
Friday was an awful day as Leo had been up sick all night so I had no sleep then worked from home as he couldn't go to nursery obviously and it was my last day in the office before a week's leave so I had so much to do and handover. I have spent most of the weekend trying to catch up with an odd hour here and there in between packing and pre-holiday chores! Anyway, I felt so horrendous on Friday evening and OH had gone out so I had a bowl full of mushy peas, topped with quorn nuggets and loads of ketchup :oops:
Yesterday, I had a breakfast butty of some description... veggie sausage and egg perhaps.
Lunch was not really anything, just bits as I was so busy.
We had a grotty Chinese takeaway for tea.
Today, has been all over the place... a turkey sandwich for breakfast, as you do. Picked at sandwiches, crips, apple, biscuits, burger king(airport tradition) and sweets.
Eventually arrived at our hotel and made it in time for the end of the buffet restaurant so had the obligatory "bit of everything" before retiring to the room. Leo has been an angel the whole day despite being travel sick all over himself in the taxi on the way TO the airport, poor kid; a flight delay once we were boarded due to a sick passenger; a transfer delay once boarded on the coach due to a (different) sick passenger and only getting to the hotel 3 hours past his bed time. Fingers crossed he sleeps all night in new surroundings!
EmWilk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 17th, 2018, 8:46 am

I have had 2/3 days of a 'carp' food … and suffering the consequences this morning! :( On Friday I bought sourdough bread and pigged out on that; on Saturday I ate out twice and each time settled for high carb and fat dishes with little or no fibre and yesterday I baked for friends and only ate the sausage rolls, cheese and veg flan and apple meringue pie - which was pretty much all I ate during the day. Oh my :o … without going into too much detail, my colostomy and stoma are revolting (in every sense of the word ! ) :td: :sprout: :rolleyes:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 17th, 2018, 12:34 pm

I have already described the lunch I had on Saturday on CB and would now like to forget it!
we had it with beetroot with chive and butter
Sat evening I fished some Picard prawns with various caotings out of the freezer and we happily nibbled on those with various dips. They really are rather good.

Sunday we had a slow roast shoulder of sisteron lamb cooked on rosemary branches with whole garlic cloves and baby potatoes at the end. we had it with beetroot with chives and butter and minted peas.
We had some pastel de nanta, also from Picard which i wanted to try. They were absolutely delicious
Supper time we had cheese and some muscat grapes.

Lunch today was avocado and bacon toast with a lovely pear afterwards.

Supper is to be Pan haggerty with the rest of the lamb and some broccoli puree. There is a bowl of sliced peche de vignes in white wine sittting in the fridge. They are a bit of a pain to skin but you have to as the skins are extremely furry.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 17th, 2018, 9:14 pm

Tomorrow I am going back on the health kick I started a few weeks ago. Since then I have had every dietary distraction under the sun.

Spent last night at DD's and we went out with friends to a Chinese restaurant where you could order what you liked on the menu for a set price. We had an awful lot of starter foods, the usual things but all very good. It would have been a good idea to stop there but we tried a couple of main dishes (small helpings to share) and then had the amazing deep fried ice cream :chops:.
Today we walked along the under cliff path in Brighton - about 4 miles - but then had chips and ice cream on the pier :oops:. None of has has wanted to eat anything more today - unsurprisingly.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby EmWilk » September 17th, 2018, 9:53 pm

Breakfast of fruit then egg, beans, tomato, bacon and cubed potatoes.
Unfortunately for me, this place does wonderful pizzas so I had a slice (olive) for lunch alongside a plate of chicken, veg and potatoes (followed by a square of cake) and then another slice at tea to accompany pasta, veg and tomato sauce. I need to reign it in!
EmWilk
Registered

Previous

Return to The Coffee Shop