What are you eating today? (v4)

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: What are you eating today? (v4)

Postby Rocky » November 22nd, 2018, 10:37 am

Hat pork sounds lovely OMCO. Bit envious of the Christmas market.....

Had a lovely roti for lunch yesterday (a veggie on) and a Chinese takeaway for dinner (back to being good at the weekend....) We had hot and sour soup and roast pork noodles. V nice.

Thanksgiving today and I have been invited to four things so going to the one closest which is just down the road. Suspect turkey will be involved.
Rocky
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 22nd, 2018, 12:21 pm

This will be my third attempt at posting on this thread … this pc is going to be thrown out of the window if it doesn't behave. !!! :evil:

Just to say, that I don't normally post on here as I am usually only cooking for myself, however last weekend I ate out twice, both times the food was good, but at different ends of the spectrum.

On Saturday, I had driven up to see a (school) friend in Chinnor .. she suggested we get an (Indian) takeaway and what a delight that meal was. I was really spoilt for choice so ordered 2 starters; Chilli Paneer and scallops and squid in chilli with tamarind. For my mains I had lamb cooked in coconut.. we shared a delicious portion of Pilau rice and a Pershwari (sp?) naan .. The food style was listed as Indian/Fusion. :chops: :hungry: My friend only ever eats chicken Bhuna :o :lol: She's about as adventurous as the weekend man ;)

On Sunday, me and the man went to the cinema to see Bohemian Rhapsody (fantastic) and thought we would try the local Nandos. We were both 'Nandos' virgins, so once we had worked out the menu, we thoroughly enjoyed the chicken, fries, coleslaw and macho peas.
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Rocky » November 24th, 2018, 12:32 pm

Sounds lovely Pats.

Ended up having seared tuna salad on Thursday rather than the turkey buffet and it was :chops: Yesterday I was at an all day away day board meeting on another island. Highlight was the mahi wrap for lunch. Dinner was also mahi. I made a tomato olive sauce. Off to a little island today for lunch. Will probably have fish tacos
Rocky
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » November 27th, 2018, 12:24 pm

Saturday we had fish pie with broccoli, leeks and peas on the side.

We ate out with family on Sunday at a favourite local pub.

Last night we had fillet of venison with sautéed herby potatoes, buttered cavolo nero and a plum and port sauce.

Bagels with cream cheese and smoked salmon for lunch today and I’m considering a roasted vegetable and stilton pastilla for dinner with a rocket, walnut and pomegranate salad on the side.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 27th, 2018, 12:30 pm

Saturday, I was on my own and took myself out to lunch to do some writing. I have avocado and sunblushed tomatoes on sour dough toast followed by apple and toffee crumble with salted caramel ice cream. Dinner was one of those cheese in a ramekin things that you stick in the over, neat with sour dough.
Sunday lunch... you know I really can't remember, but it can't have been a lot as I need to have a pitta bread with butter late afternoon. Dinner was a potato farl with smoked butter and a fried egg, then some cherry and almond tart with cream.
yesterday lunch was a 'naked' veggie 'burrito' from Daddy Donkey. Dinner was truffle and ricotta cappellacci with smoked butter and Parmesan. I know one shouldn't have the last two with truffle pasta, but I am sure it wasn't real truffle, and it worked :D
Will eat the other half of the pasta tonight.

Damn. I just remembered that I forgot to set the dishwasher going this morning. V forgetful. V stressed at the mo...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 27th, 2018, 2:06 pm

Lunch yesterday was onion soup with gruyere cheeese topping followed by grapes

Last night we had wild mushroom risotto with a green salad followed by an apple and sultana compote with calvados and a scoop of vanilla,pecan and caramel ice cream.

Lunch today was duck mousse pate and tomota sandwiches on linseed bread and the last of the grapes

Tonight it is to be a fresh Quiche Lorraine with a hot beetroot salad and a hot German potato salad. I've still got some compote left so I'll probably fish a couple of crepes out of the oven and fill them with it.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » November 28th, 2018, 10:16 am

Breakfast was a nutella croissant.

Lunch will be apple, potato and celeriac soup with a small stilton toastie.

Dinner will be rib eye steak with chips, onion rings, grilled tomatoes and mushrooms. Either with wholegrain mustard on the side or I might make some garlic and parsley butter.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby EmWilk » November 28th, 2018, 7:57 pm

Oh heck, I was sure I'd updated more recently than my last post.

Nothing too exciting really anyway but if I start from the weekend...

Saturday was lunch at a new South American place which I might've mentioned. I had bauru(?) Which was just delicious... very thinly sliced beef with cheese, pickles and tomatoes on a soft, warm but crispy baguette. Then a bit of Leo's chocolate cake.

Tea was an Indian takeaway which took 2.5 hours to arrive :cry: But was actually very nice.

Sunday, a piece of toast
Out for brother's birthday lunch (same date as Rocky) at the most boring place (not at all like Rocky's birthday lunch! :lol: ) where Leo brought down the average age of the clientele by about 100 years :rolleyes: good grief. I had pate (yawn), sliced chicken breast with stuffing (yaaaaaawn) and chocolate brownie which was decent and I halved it with Leo, even though he ate more of my mum's coffee Renoir :?
No tea that night.

Monday...
Cereal bar
Tuna melt and spicy minestrone soup for lunch
My friend visited in the evening. She lives in Leiden and I don't see her very much. We had the best night! I made a veggie chilli and some wedges and made a sort of bake thing. And we had lots of tea and biscuits too.

Yesterday, cereal bar again.
Lunch was leftover veggie chilli wedge bake thing.
Ideas so fed up at night. OH made me a bowl of quorn nuggets and wedges!

Today, cereal bar. Shocker.
Lunch was a cheese and pickle salad roll and crisps. Someone stole my veg pasty while I was in a meeting but it was probably for the best :lol:
OH made tea again for when I got home. Pizza and wedges.

Wedges have featured a lot recently :lol: :?

Hope everyone's good!
EmWilk
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » November 29th, 2018, 10:53 am

That bauru sounds good Emma! I've not heard of it before.

Chocolate brioche first thing. A small bowl of granola and some raspberries a little later for second breakfast (I'm finding little and often is better at the moment)

Lunch will probably be some turkey with cranberry sauce, seeded cracker things, pickles, salad. I would love a wodge of brie with it but can't unfortunately.

I've defrosted some of last weeks beef and ale casserole to have tonight. I'll make some mustard or horseradish mash to go with it and we've got some cavolo nero to use up.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 29th, 2018, 2:31 pm

Last night we had a veal escallop with morilles and a cream and brandy sauce withl flagelot beans and three grain rice. We had cheese afterwrads

Lunch today was smoked mackerel pate with some rye bread toast and medjul dates afterwards.

Tonight I have a free range chicken to roast with baby potatoes and parsnips around it and I thnk I'll do some sprout puree too. I have faiselle for afterwards but not sure if I want cream and a spinkling of sugar ot some raspberries with it.

We're out for lunch with a friend tomorrow.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby EmWilk » December 2nd, 2018, 10:31 am

Thursday was finance meeting day so very little to eat all day... a banana and crisps I think :?
Then tea was a Chinese takeaway :oops:

Friday, I had a cheese and mushroom croissant for breakfast.
Veg sushi for lunch.
Tea was a Mexican style quorn a mind veg dish with rice and guacamole.

Yesterday, I went for Christmas brunch with the girls and Leo. It's on a tiered stand and included cured ham, cheese, fruit and berries, croissant, frittata, a bacon/sausage/egg sandwich, granola and yoghurt, a smoothie shot and a flapjack. Plus lots of coffee.

I went into work later on and had a packet of crisps en route.

Tea was homemade breaded chicken burgers with all the trimmings, chips and chicken gravy.

Today, I've just made us over the top breakfast butties of bacon, egg, mushrooms, tomatoes and cubed roasted potatoes.

Not sure about the rest of the day yet!
EmWilk
Registered

Postby Rocky » December 2nd, 2018, 12:38 pm

Reading about your butties is making me hungry EmWilk.

On Friday night we had salmon with veggie noodles. Yesterday was the local half marathon so I had a slice of ciabatta with honey at 4am and a banana afterwards. Then we were out on a boat for the day with friends. Had some crisps and dips and a few :cocktail: and then went for lunch. I had a jerk chicken sandwich. Should have had a burger (after the run) so might try to convince OH to go out for lunch today.... Dinner will be Italian sausage casserole.
Rocky
Registered

Postby EmWilk » December 4th, 2018, 11:29 pm

Rocky, I'm always in awe how you manage to just casually do a half marathon and then carry on with the rest of your day! I'd be in bed demanding grapes be fed to me all day :lol:

Sunday, we went for coffee and cake after the brekkie butties.
Tea was chicken and chorizo paella.

Yesterday, I took fruit for breakfast but don't think I ate it :?
Lunch was leftover paella.
I could NOT be bothered at night so had a banana, tangerine, pear and toast!

Today, I had a tangerine in the morning.
Another finance meeting day meant another day where food was at the top of nobody's list :rolleyes: someone did go get me a pack of veggie sushi and some crisps around 3pm. I feel like I'm in a continuous finance meeting at the minute.
Made up for it with tea... flattened and breaded pork steak topped with a fried egg, wild and red rice, lots of veg (broccoli, sprouts, baby corn and mange tout) cooked and dressed with soy, vinegar, chilli, garlic, honey, ginger, coriander and spring onion. Then all finished off with some kimchi :drool:
EmWilk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 5th, 2018, 9:01 am

I made good old mince and dumplings at Mr R's request last night I did parsnip and carrot batons and butter leeks with it.
Afterwards the rest of the gooseberry crumble and custard.

Lunch today will be grilled goats cheese and beetroot on linseed toast with a salad and a pearto follow.
I'll roast half with honey and a splash of rum.
I'll use the rest of the mince to make a mince and tattie pie and whatever veg comes out of the fridge! Mr R brought in a lovely pineapple yesterday to
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Rocky » December 5th, 2018, 9:38 am

:D EmWilk. Good justification for eating loads!

Rats - love the sound of the mince :chops:

Last night was a Thai veggie curry with a piece of salmon. Sounds a bit random but was delicious. Having people over for dinner and haven’t decided what to have - probably Mahi Mahi in some form.....
Rocky
Registered

Postby Seatallan » December 5th, 2018, 9:50 am

:lol:

Part of the reason I took up running was to offset my gut-bucket tendencies.... :oops: .... though I'm deffo not in our Rocky's league! Having said that, I'm trying to run half-marathon distance at least once a month currently as I'm running the local half again in March (as is Mr S). As luck would have it, I can combine my next long run with picking up the Christmas bird and two packs of quail already ordered from fab butcher in Henley (though I shall have to get the bus back :D ).

Anyway, all your recent meals sound fab. We had chicken kebabs with salad and wraps for tea last night and tonight we have a baked couscous thing that I often make in mid-week.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » December 5th, 2018, 12:09 pm

On Sunday we had our annual extended family knees up in Castleton to enjoy all of the lit trees, drink mulled wine (not me) and eat lots of lovely festive food in a cosy pub. Some of us also had some hot chestnuts from the stall on our walk around the village. Christmas build up is officially allowed to start from that lunch out each year :D

Last night we had nasi goreng.

For dinner tonight we’re having tartiflette with a green salad. With crusty bread too probably. Followed by moans of happiness and a lie down no doubt!
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » December 5th, 2018, 12:12 pm

Yikes. That last sentence sounds quite rude :shock: I meant that we’d be in a cheesy, carb induced stupor...obviously. Nothing else... :D
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 5th, 2018, 12:50 pm

WE believe you ;)
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » December 5th, 2018, 7:46 pm

I am weirdly hungry but undesirous of eating at the moment.

Yesterday I had a Waitrose nut wellington slice for lunch - quite nice actually.

Dinner was spicy beans and cheese.

Today I was straving at lunch time so had two pitta breads with Swedish (Västerbotten) cheese and Maille honey mustard, then a mince pie with cream mid afternoon.
dinner will be some casarecce pasta with some homemade/home grown roast tomato passata cooked with garlic (cooked in smoked rapeseed oil) and thyme - to be had with lots of parmesan. I am using one my lovely new Procook pans to make the sauce.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » December 6th, 2018, 10:21 am

Ratatouille wrote:WE believe you
:D

Herbi, I really fancy a nut wellington slice (with some cranberry sauce) now.

Cereal for breakfast. Lunch will be grabbed somewhere on my way back from doing some last bits of Christmas shopping. Today is my last day in the office until early 2020 :shock: :bounce:

Dinner tonight will be something we haven't cooked in years... roast guinea fowl with thyme, garlic, wild mushrooms and truffle butter/oil under the skin. Then the meat is shredded and served either with papardelle or in a risotto with cream, peas, more wild mushrooms, lots of black pepper, a splash of brandy, parmesan etc.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby Seatallan » December 6th, 2018, 11:18 am

OMCO that sounds utterly divine. Could you share the recipe? Might make that for Mr S for Valentines Day :chops:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » December 6th, 2018, 11:41 am

Of course!

This is the recipe we used originally but we have adapted it over time and it depends on what we have in.

https://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/rec ... gliatelle/

Often we just use a truffle oil for flavour as we usually don't have whole fresh truffles unfortunately! The addition of a healthy splash of booze (cognac, white wine, vermouth) with the guinea fowl was ours. To be honest we don't really follow a recipe for it now and just adapt each time. Peas, wild mushrooms, leeks, cavolo nero are sometimes cooked and added to the pasta/risotto to include some veg. A splash of cream and some parmesan usually finish the dish. Sometimes fresh parsley too. I think we've occasionally included some cubed sautéed pancetta. Definitely follow his instructions to pour the cooking juices over the pasta (or risotto).

Apologies it's a bit vague, we make it slightly differently each time!
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » December 6th, 2018, 11:42 am

It had a round of goats cheese log in it. This, in case you'd like some alternative recipe inspiration:

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/ ... 877-357878

If I ate meat, I would be excited about your guinea fowl dish, were it offered to me :)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 6th, 2018, 2:31 pm

I am planning guinea fowl for a New Years Day lunch for friends. I'm planning to do it flambe with grapes and chestnuts. The fresh truffle will go as shavings in the cepes veloute for starters!.

We finished the mince and tattie pie from last night for lunch with some pickles, followed by lovely Italia grapes.
Tonight I have an andouilette for Mr R and A veal kidney for me! I'll grill both and serve both with a grain mustard cream, some potato rosti and fresh spinach. I've got half a lovely pineapple to use so might well make a pineapple USD
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 7th, 2018, 8:13 am

First Christmas lunch of the season today, then another one on Sunday … :)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Seatallan » December 7th, 2018, 9:08 am

OMCO no apologies needed- recipes are always best when they evolve. :D

Most kind! :tu: :luv:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Rocky » December 7th, 2018, 10:23 am

Sounds delicious OMCO.

Well we have come to San Juan for the weekend (have optician appt and decided to make the most of it). We ended up having to have lunch at the airport which was a cold greasy Johnny cake with a fried egg and bacon - strangely delicious! For dinner we shared a salmon and tuna tartare to start. Then I had tagliata - the beef was amazing. OH had a pasta dish that he declared delicious.
Rocky
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 7th, 2018, 2:11 pm

He had porridge and maple syrup for breakfast.

Lunch was eggs benedict followed by the rest of the grapes.
Supper is to be fish cakes which I have yet to make and parsley sauce with minty pea puree and the rest of the pineapple USD, which was lovely last night.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Rocky » December 8th, 2018, 1:12 pm

Yesterday after a trip to the optician :( had a lovely lunch - shared a rocket, plantain and Parmesan salad and seared tuna with regular - delicious!

For dinner we shared bresaola and tuna carpaccio to start and then shared a porcine risotto :chops:
Rocky
Registered

Postby EmWilk » December 10th, 2018, 8:58 pm

I've never heard of a Johnny cake, Rocky :?:

Ages again since I updated and probably not had anything very exciting.

I know that Thursday I had a terrible migraine not helped by the stress of a(nother) finance meeting and I spent most of the day being sick so very little consumed. However! By evening, I was feeling good and hungry and I was going to a drive in cinema with mum and sister so we went for a quick tea at Frankie and Benny's which was next door - some trashy bbq and cheese chicken affair with chips and corn. Much needed. Then followed that with lots of pick n mix in front of the film.

Friday is a distant memory... I can't remember what I ate actually. Ohhh yes, OH had made me bolognese from the freezer on top of jacket potato.

Saturday, I had a bacon butty for breakfast.
Masala dosa for lunch.
Paneer masala, rice, Indian snacks, bread and chutney for tea.

Sunday, we went for breakfast at a new bar which took the longest time to get food out. I had a veggie breakfast which was a bit different and quite nice but I was past caring by the time it arrived and I had a hungry and bored 2 year old.
For tea, we just had ham (which I'd cooked and glazed with South East Asian style flavours), cheese and kimchi toasties.

Today, I had a cereal bar for breakfast.
Lunch was a jacket potato, cheese, beans and salad with half a polystyrene cup of spicy minestrone soup.

OH has just made us ham, veg and dumpling noodle soup. But he forgot to put ham in. And dumplings. Veg noodle soup then!
EmWilk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » December 10th, 2018, 10:37 pm

griddle polenta with 'fagioli' for lunch - quite a lot and very filling.
a few sqaures of white chocolate mid afternoon
dinner was a warm pitta bread with smoked hoummous.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Seatallan » December 11th, 2018, 9:12 am

EmWilk wrote:I've never heard of a Johnny cake, Rocky :?:

Always makes me think of Boney M (Brown Girl in the Ring- 'We ate fried fish and Johnny Cake') :D
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 11th, 2018, 9:40 am

When DD was a tot in the Bahamas the first ring gan=me she knew was Brown Girl - the children in the school taught her and she could do the wiggle to perfection. I think she thought she WAS the brown girl :rolleyes: I still make Johnny cake too and benny cake which is really sesame crisp.

Yesterday I made a pot-au feu with three sorts of meat and loads of veg. We had some of it for supper which leaves enough for 3 more meals. The bouillon for lunch with some of the chopped veg, a salad parisienne for supper. Thats thinly cut meat layered between sliced cooked potatoes with a sauce gribiche to moisten the lot. Tommorrow parmantier - cottage pie really
I also did a riz au lait for pudding which I served with some hm cherry compote and the rest will make a parfait today
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » December 12th, 2018, 11:25 am

Never heard of Johnny cake either!

I can't think back to everything over the last week. We did take some of OH's clients out for a gorgeous lunch last Friday though. The restaurant is mostly classic French but the wife/owner is originally from South Africa and the couple spent a lot of time living in Scotland so there are other influences in the food and wine menus.

I opted for the seafood gratin starter, their clay pot beef bourguignon main and a dessert that was something like elephants pudding which had a liqueur syrup in it which I'd never heard of. They have a beautiful secret garden which is amazing for pre dinner cocktails in the summer but it was obviously too cold in December. It looked pretty though with all the twinkling lights.

On Sunday we got the fondue set out and had cheese fondue with cranberry compote, cubes of steak, potatoes, mushrooms, roasted onion wedges and some green veg on the side too.

Tonight we're having a crab and prawn risotto with peas, leeks and lemon.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Previous

Return to The Coffee Shop