What are you eating today? (v4)

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: What are you eating today? (v4)

Postby EmWilk » December 19th, 2018, 8:05 pm

Happy birthday Emma and happy anniversary!

Yesterday, I forgot the chicken and rice, etc for lunch and in any case got called into a meeting at 1pm which lasted til 5 :cry: when I ate half a pack of sushi and some crisps.
Tea was from the freezer... chilli paneer, dahl, chapattis, a spinach pakoras and a spice cheesy, potatoey, thing.

Today, I did remember the chicken and rice for lunch.
Had forgot that OH is on his works do so can't be bothered cooking just for me I don't think... oh maybe I will. Hmmm... big decision.
EmWilk
Registered

Postby EmWilk » December 19th, 2018, 10:13 pm

I didn't bother with proper cooking so to speak but still ended up with a substantial tea :lol: ham, tomato and mushroom omelette, a potato waffle, toast and beans! I have no idea why so much!
EmWilk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » December 19th, 2018, 10:59 pm

I had a Lebanese meal this evening. All the usual suspects, but really very good. Especially the babaganoush, which can be a bit hit and miss. And pretty cheap too, really, for central London.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby EmWilk » December 23rd, 2018, 5:21 pm

The ridiculous chocolate, sweets and crisps intake has begun :oops:

Thursday, I had something so exciting for lunch that I can't remember what... ;)
Tea was a beautiful chicken kebab and falafel from a great takeaway after shopping in the rain.

Friday, chippy lunch.
Tea was crisps and chocolate :tu: :rolleyes:

Yesterday, I had a crumpet for breakfast.
Lunch was a bauru from the south American place I've mentioned.
Tea was super trashy chicken parmigiana - far too much cheese. With linguine which had broccoli, cherry toms and green beans.

A crumpet today for breakfast.
Lots of crisps, sweets and choc.
Fried egg and beans in toast.
Am out this evening to a new Korean restaurant in town so looking forward to that!
EmWilk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 26th, 2018, 6:23 am

I fully intended to finish the almond milk with granola yesterday but had 3 glasses of bucks fizz instead !!!!

2 halves of cider at the pub and then when we got back 3 small crostini with some very strong smoked salmon pate with zest of lemon while I finished off lunch with a superb bottle of Californian Chardonnay. The wild boar which had marinaded in lemon, garlic and crushed fennel was sublime, with just a traybake of root veg, yorkie and braised red cabbage went very well with the meat as did the bottle of Zinfandel. Much later we shared a pastrami and emmental sarnie with a bag of iceberg lettuce and some crisps.

I had a lot of fizzy water throughout the day but my head still hurts today :plink: :plink: And we are around at fiends from midday pleasuring ourselves !!!!

Happy Boxing day everyone.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby EmWilk » December 26th, 2018, 8:52 am

Merry christmas everyone!

The Korean place was fantastic, I'm so happy we have somewhere like this now round here. I went with 2 friends and, as they weren't sure what anything was, I convinced them to let me order lots for us :D we had... kimchi, pork dumplings, Korean fried chicken, tempura veg, veg crispy pancake, pork bulgogi with rice and lettuce and chicken bibimbap. It was just delicious!

Christmas eve, I went out shopping just on a coffee. Once done, I sat in my car with another coffee and a pistachio macaron.
Crisps when I got home.
Eventually, we had takeaway. Indian, which we usually have on Christmas eve.

The big day, we had bacon and fried egg on a muffin for breakfast.
Tomato soup; Christmas turkey dinner and trifle for the main event. I say this every year that Christmas dinner is my worst nightmare but I was less miserable about it this year :lol: It was nice and not too much.

At night, I had lots of sweets, crisps and chocolate and the pastry off a mini pork pie :oops: :lol: I hate the meat :sprout:

Today, we're having a lazy PJ day. I've asked for breakfast in bed but not sure that's forthcoming. I will make brunch or lunch of spicy bubble n squeak and I have all the makings of sausage rolls, a ham, leftover butties and obviously the mountains of crisps and chocs along with opening of more presents we never got through yesterday :oops:
EmWilk
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » December 26th, 2018, 10:57 am

Merry Christmas!

Christmas Eve was spent at our local with the usual gang. I had seabass with a lobster sauce. Then home for a game or two and we put out the plate of food and drink for Father Christmas.

Yesterday we started the day with smoked salmon and scrambled eggs with bucks fizz. All round to my sisters in the afternoon. No starters but lots of seafood and veggie canapés (too many canapés!) then roast turkey with all the trimmings and then a choice of desserts followed by the cheese course. I’m now 9 months pregnant and I’ve literally never felt as full as I did last night :D

We should have had bubble and squeak with fried eggs this morning but we couldn’t face it. We’ll have it later instead and just had fruit and yoghurt first thing. I am eyeing up the bowl of ferrero rocher though...

Hope everyone is having a wonderful Christmas x
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby Rocky » December 26th, 2018, 11:23 am

Lovely sounding food everyone!

On Christmas Eve we were invited to an Italian friend’s for dinner. Had an amazing antipasto salad thing which had anchovies, celery, olives etc is it. I think she said it is a traditional Sicilian thing. We then had linguine with clams and then crab cakes - all :chops:

Yesterday we met some friends at the beach late morning for bubbles and nibbles. Sausage rolls, smoked salmon bites, dips and a platter of meats and cheese. Home for a snooze and then everyone descended here. Had turkey, ham and all the usual trimmings

Today is likely l ftovers in some form....
Rocky
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 26th, 2018, 1:39 pm

After a beautiful restaurant lunch yesterday - Amuse bouches including mini steak tartares ( not for me thanks!)pan seared foie gras with caramelised onions, Lobster ravioli in a seafood broth (I left the pasta and just ate the lobster. Bresse chicken ballotine with steamed baby vegetables in a butter and truffle sauce, a full cheeseboard and the buche de Noel - one red fruit one chocolate both with a very light mousse filling and served with a raspberry and/or apricot coulis.
We came home for coffe and cognac
A mince pie annd a very little cheese in the evening. I haven't even opened any sweets yet and it's Boxing Day! Mr R has been demolishing his liquorice allsorts.

Lunch was a truffle omelette with a green salad and then some grapes and satsumas. Tonight we will have the roast prok cold from earlier in the week with pickles and chutney and a couple of salads and I have a Tarte normande ready to pop in the oven for dessert.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 26th, 2018, 2:35 pm

I spent yesterday with a friend of mine who is quite disabled with MS … she was so pleased when I offered to cook her (and her 7 year old son) their Christmas dinner. Viv had ordered a turkey crown from Ocado as well as sprouts and carrots... I said I would take the wine and cheese, as well as making and taking JO's Christmas grav(used a turkey drumstick in place of the chicken wings), a Hazelnut and Apricot stuffing (Viv's choice) and my choice of a tray bake stuffing of sausage meat, apple and chestnuts, both from the BBC Good Food archive, both delicious and Mary Berry's fresh (uncooked) cranberry sauce... The meal was declared a resounding success with Viv's son enjoying his turkey, sprouts, carrots and roast spuds, but absolutely no stuffing or gravy ;)

I have brought home some leftovers, including all the cranberry sauce as I was the only one who liked it. My quandary now is what do I do with all the sauce :? :rolleyes: - I did think it was delicious....
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 26th, 2018, 2:52 pm

What a lovely thing to do Pat. I'm really glad it all went well. I'm just wondering if you could turn the sauce into a chutney? Or perhaps as a layer within a terrine.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 26th, 2018, 5:32 pm

Meant to add that the turkey crown was really tasty and moist … although Viv had covered it in streaky bacon … and she loved the Moscato wine that I asked about a couple of weeks ago. Far too sweet for me, so I diluted it with some dry white wine, but so well received, Viv is going to track down some more ;)

The cranberry sauce was made by simply blitzing the cranberries, a whole orange, sugar and a half a teaspoon of mixed spice all together. So it is quite smooth. I think it would make a lovely sauce over ice - cream, or perhaps the base of an orange themed cocktail, or trifle ???
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Catherine » December 26th, 2018, 7:00 pm

Ratatouille wrote:After a beautiful restaurant lunch yesterday - Amuse bouches including mini steak tartares ( not for me thanks!)pan seared foie gras with caramelised onions, Lobster ravioli in a seafood broth (I left the pasta and just ate the lobster. Bresse chicken ballotine with steamed baby vegetables in a butter and truffle sauce, a full cheeseboard and the buche de Noel - one red fruit one chocolate both with a very light mousse filling and served with a raspberry and/or apricot coulis.
We came home for coffe and cognac
A mince pie annd a very little cheese in the evening. I haven't even opened any sweets yet and it's Boxing Day! Mr R has been demolishing his liquorice allsorts.

Lunch was a truffle omelette with a green salad and then some grapes and satsumas. Tonight we will have the roast prok cold from earlier in the week with pickles and chutney and a couple of salads and I have a Tarte normande ready to pop in the oven for dessert.

Oh wow, I'm coming to you next year.
Catherine
Registered

Postby EmWilk » December 26th, 2018, 9:21 pm

I did get the breakfast in bed in the end actually... bacon and fried egg muffin! It was on condition that I stripped the bed immediately after :lol: OH hates eating in bed.

I made the spicy bubble and squeak for lunch and topped it with a fried egg and some piccalilli. It was superb!

For tea, I chopped up the leftover turkey and stuffing and made a thick creamy white sauce (using a bit of the leftover gravy too) to stir it through. Used that as a toastie filling and had them with chips, the last of the gravy and some stir fried shredded sprouts with chilli and soy sauce.

Leftovers are much more my thing than the main Christmas dinner!

Lots of chocolate, sweets, etc today too and sooo much earl grey! Another cup now with some fererros :oops: :lol:
EmWilk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 26th, 2018, 9:56 pm

Patsy, I do a similar cranberry sauce, I can't stand the shop bought jarred stuff. I freeze mine in small amounts and it can be used for lots of other stuff too. Pork, etc.

Glad to hear you had a good day.....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Rocky » December 27th, 2018, 9:24 am

Me too on leftovers EmWilk - Christmas is the only time we ever cook a roast as not really our thing but love leftovers.

Yesterday was a fab day - packed all the leftovers into a cool box, leftover fizz into another and went to the beach with a group of friends - had mini turkey and stuffing rolls, some ham and stuffing balls - and the weather was glorious. A perfect BVI day.

In the evening we both made up a plate of leftovers and I squashed the roasties and fried them and made some fresh brocolli. That’s almost the end of the leftovers apart from our lunch today - back to work :(
Rocky
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 27th, 2018, 2:45 pm

The end of the left-overs for us tonight -in a pork stir-fry with vegetable noodles. Then tarte Normande bbecause we didn't it last night! Lunch was a bacon sandwich a mince pie and a clementine each.

Rocky your lunch is just what we used to do in the Rahamas at Christmas.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby EmWilk » December 27th, 2018, 9:11 pm

Rocky your day sounds amazing!! :kneel:

Another day of ridiculous chocolate intake :oops:
Started the day ok though with porridge, apple and banana.
After a long walk and play in the park, we had halved jacket spuds, scooped out and restuffed with potato mixed with crispy smoked streaky bacon, spring onion and cheese.
Tea has been lovely... I cooked a ham in the slow cooker and then halved it and baked one half in a jerk marinade. Served that with rice n peas, roasted peppers and charred corn on the cob dressed in lime, coriander and butter. So delicious!
EmWilk
Registered

Postby Rocky » December 28th, 2018, 11:15 am

We are v lucky at this time of year - it’s glorious.

Yesterday I met a friend for lunch in the end and had a mahi wrap. For dinner I made minute steaks which we had with a bizarrely delicious mix of sprouts, cauliflower and onion roasted together with a sprinkle of garlic salt. Also had some leftover gravy.

We are meeting friends for lunch today but not sure where. Also out this evening :shock:
Rocky
Registered

Postby EmWilk » December 28th, 2018, 7:50 pm

Woke up late today at 9:15! We had to be out by 9:40 :terrified: so I had half a banana and coffee for breakfast.
We went to a pottery painting thing with cousins and kids which was so cute. The 4 older boys (aged 10 to 4) all wanted McDonald's for lunch so Leo had his first visit through the golden arches :scared: he ate the fries and spat out his one bite of chicken nugget :lol:
Tonight, we're having a kinda sushi bowl with rice, various veg, ham warmed through in stock, dumplings and kimchi.
EmWilk
Registered

Postby Rocky » December 28th, 2018, 10:12 pm

I am so envious of your lie in EmWilk - the latest I have got up in the last twelve months is about 6:15 :(

Lunch was fab - shared a Thai chicken salad and. Korean rice bowl. We don’t know if we can be bothered going out this evening. Having boasted about the glorious weather here earlier, it has been raining get and as cold as it gets today (24 degrees so no sympathy required) Might have roasted veg and sausages....
Rocky
Registered

Postby Bubbles » December 28th, 2018, 10:22 pm

I need that Korean Rice Bowl! See quiz!
Bubbles
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » December 29th, 2018, 7:01 pm

Had a few meals out in the last few days.
Thursday: deep fried brie, followed by Christmas pudding ( :) ) (In the evening I had a cheese, smoked tomato and chipotle quesadilla with cumin seeds.)
Yesterday: cheese and caramelized cheese toastie (fried, alas :o ) (In the evening I had some veggie chilli.)
today: buffalo mozzarella and basil pizza. OH had a 'bleeding' Vegan burger. I tried a little bit. It's over 30 years since I had meat, so I can't comment on how meatlike it was. It tasted strange but not unpleasant to me. He said it tasted like meat and had a meaty texture. The waitress (who seemed a little confused about it's origins as she referenced the lab burger when asked about it) said you couldn't really compare it to real meat, so I don't know. I also had sticky toffee pudding :oops:
Not sure what will have tonight, if anything.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby aero280 » December 29th, 2018, 7:10 pm

Went out for lunch today to the Durbar in Bayswater. It used to be my regular haunt when I hung around that area, but I haven't been back for 40 years!! :o It's still very good and still being run by the same family. The owner said they had been there for 63 years!!
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Rocky » December 29th, 2018, 10:43 pm

Bubbles wrote:I need that Korean Rice Bowl! See quiz!

It was good! I got Congolese :shock: Didn’t go out last night. I had meatballs and roasted veg. Today we were out and I had a delicious jerk chicken wrap. I have pea and ham soup simmering at the moment so think that might be dinner.
Rocky
Registered

Postby icelesley » December 30th, 2018, 8:00 am

I haven't posted here for a while :?
Breakfast: bite size shredded wheat and banana
Lunch: cheese and onion pie (just a small one)
Dinner: Roast rack of lamb with stuffing, roast potatoes, roasted Swede, steamed cabbage and carrots with gravy followed by strawberries and raspberries with cream.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 30th, 2018, 2:33 pm

After last nights choucroute with three sorts of poky things and potatoes followed by a very naughty rum baba we had lunch at our friend's restaurant today.

It was heavenly.
Chestnut veloute as an amuse bouche
Terrine of foisgras and ox-cheek on a warm lentil salad
Saddle of rabbit stuffed with calves sweetbreads on a spelt and herb rissotto with a truffle jus for my main
Roe deer pave with spiced red cabage and a red wine reduction and a celariac puree for Mr R
He then had a chocolate something which looked very chocolatey and I had a savarin with aged rum, a tropical fruit salad lychee sorbet and chantilly cream. It disappeared in front of my eyes it was so good I didn't want to finish it :chops: :chops:

Our next meeting will be at our house. I'll have to pull out all the stops.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Catherine » December 30th, 2018, 10:21 pm

Ratatouille wrote:It was heavenly.
Chestnut veloute as an amuse bouche
Terrine of foisgras and ox-cheek on a warm lentil salad
Saddle of rabbit stuffed with calves sweetbreads on a spelt and herb rissotto with a truffle jus for my main
Roe deer pave with spiced red cabage and a red wine reduction and a celariac puree for Mr R
He then had a chocolate something which looked very chocolatey and I had a savarin with aged rum, a tropical fruit salad lychee sorbet and chantilly cream. It disappeared in front of my eyes it was so good I didn't want to finish it

Gosh that sounds wonderful, except for the rabbit. Oddly it isn't the calves sweetbreads that out me off but the rabbit itself which I could never bring myself to to eat simply because I had a pet rabbit as a kid. Lychee sorbet sounds heavenly
Catherine
Registered

Postby EmWilk » December 30th, 2018, 10:55 pm

Yesterday, I made a spicy omelette with the last of the spiced up bubble n squeak.
Nipped to town and had a few bites of a pizza slice on the way back to the car.
Went out to eat in the evening to the Korean place again. I had vegetable dumplings and pinched some of OH's Korean fried chicken. For main, I had beef bibimbap. Few too many cocktails afterwards.

Smoked streaky bacon and fried egg on toast this morning.
Out for a family meal this afternoon. I had cauliflower fritters to start and chicken Kiev for main.
Have had a piggish snack tonight of a cheese and ham toastie on a bread thin and a few chocs.
EmWilk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 31st, 2018, 9:48 am

You are suposed to have cocktails Before a meal Em :lol: :lol: :lol:

Catherine I love rabbit and cook it often. My s-i-l won't eat either rabbit or lamb for similar reasons to your.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby EmWilk » January 1st, 2019, 12:30 pm

Ratatouille wrote:You are suposed to have cocktails Before a meal Em

I know, how very uncouth of me :lol:

Happy New year all!

Yesterday, we nipped out to do a few errands including food shopping before we ate :scared: fatal.
Ended up with a coffee and tuna melt in Starbucks.

Didn't really have anything else until the evening when we had a ridiculously beige buffet between the 2 of us. Some fairly average "party food" from Aldi (a veggie oriental selection and a prawn oriental selection), some southern fried style quorn nuggets, veggie indian snacks, a fancy (?!) Tomatoey pizza bread type thing, crisps, chocs and champagne :lol: it was great!

Today, just lozzocking about the house... I've had a couple of coffees, a macaron and a quorn sausage sandwich so far.
I fear more choc is to come :lol:
I have taken chicken out of the freezer to make curry for tea.

Back to work tomorrow, I need to do some catching up :cry:
EmWilk
Registered

Postby Rocky » January 1st, 2019, 12:43 pm

Losing track of the days (even though I have been working throughout!) On Sunday we borrowed a dog and took her to the beach and then fo brunch - she and I shared a breakfast burger with bacon..... In the evening had a veggie Thai red curry. Yesterday I had tuna salad for lunch and a Johnny cake and too many :cocktail: for dinner. I normally hate NYE but had a fun time at a beach party with some chums and came back to ours to ring in the new year as we are in a hill overlooking the bay so fab view of the fireworks! It’s nearly 9 and OH is in bed which is unheard of :shock: I’m hoping to persuade him to have a brunch of smoked salmon and scrambled egg but I suspect paracetamol will be all he fancies :cry:
Rocky
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 1st, 2019, 4:52 pm

Saturday evening: just pitta brad and cheese for dinner.
Sunday: was out taking photos with a friend, so 'lunch' was a (very good) individual Victoria sponge in the Barbican Centre. For dinner, astonishingly, (given I'd walked 10 miles on a Victorian sponge cakelet) I made a Thai style green curry (well, it had Thai green curry paste and cocounut milk in it...) with mushrooms, green beans, peas, marinated tofu and cashews. I also ate a mince pie with cream. Er maybe two. No carbs with the curry though.
Yesterday: sausage and mash for lunch. Then a fondue in the evening. It is almost a New Year's Eve tradition.
Somehow missed lunch today, but I had two chocolate eclairs at 11ish (husband bought them for me :luv: so I had to eat them.) I have just had three just-made sausage rolls. May have pasta later.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 1st, 2019, 5:25 pm

Last night we had pot roast partridges with red cabbage ,truffled mash, followed by lemon roulade.

Lunch todau was Caviar on hm blinis with sour cream
Cepes veloute with horseradish cream and truffle shavings
Guinea fowl flambe witth red an green grapes and chestnuts, fondant potatotes and green bean bundles
Selection of British cheeses
Choice of Christmas pudding or raspberry trifle
Coffe digestives and locall made sweetmeats
Rest of the week not very much !!!!
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Rocky » January 1st, 2019, 6:57 pm

OH didn’t get up until 1 :shock: and felt like death so had some ice cream and I had scrambled egg. I have loads of sprouts so reckon those with bacon might be dinner. :cry:
Rocky
Registered

Postby icelesley » January 2nd, 2019, 7:35 am

Breakfast: bite size shredded wheat and sliced banana with a splash of milk
Lunch: ham and mustard sandwich thin
Dinner: Turkey salad with chips for OH followed by a fruit yoghurt

I changed my mind for dinner, we had Turkey curry and rice ;)
Last edited by icelesley on January 3rd, 2019, 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
icelesley
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 2nd, 2019, 2:51 pm

Porridge fro Mr R for breakfast, orange juice for me

Lunch was the rest of the veloute for him and an avo, pink grapefruit and prawn salad for me.

I'm going to cook some ripe plantain to go with the last of the guinea fow l and trimmings, I can't resist it and we've eaten a lot of spuds. Trifle afterwards
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Busybee » January 2nd, 2019, 3:03 pm

Rats, I’ve not eaten much plantain, but what i have had has been deep fried. How will you be cooking yours to partner the guinea fowl..........I’m wondering if this might be a workable substitute for DS who doesn’t really ‘do’ potatoes?

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » January 2nd, 2019, 6:05 pm

I’m attempting veganuary this year , though started a day late So my probably first ever vegan day and smashed it Breakfast was an Innocent protein smoothie . I then went to Pret for lunch and had their pea and kale soup with a ciabatta roll for lunch and sneaked one of Livias millionaire shortbread bites

I did some shopping this afternoon and picked up some bits from Mark’s new range . Just eaten their roasted aubergine dish . I love aubergines and thought it was really flavoursome and filling . Bonus for me , that there were no chickpeas in it , as I hate the little buggers. Off to cinema later for a Tango Blast and some sweet popcorn Not the most perfect nutritionally , but got in all my fruit and veg and didn’t miss meat today so bonus
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » January 2nd, 2019, 9:54 pm

Happy new year all!

On nye we went to a friends house. The adults all had raclette with platters of marinated steak, prawns and chicken. Veg kebabs, salad and crusty bread. Hassleback potatoes with garlic and rosemary. As well as the cheese for raclette there was also baked camembert with chorizo. Homemade pizzas for the children too. And lots of dessert!!

Yesterday we cooked a ham and had it with new potatoes, green beans, peas and a whole grain mustard sauce. Tonight we had leftover ham in a carbonara type pasta dish.

Tomorrow eve dinner will be something spicy with prawns, lemongrass, coconut milk, lime, coriander etc.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby EmWilk » January 2nd, 2019, 11:15 pm

I had a banana butty this morning on a wholemeal roll.
Lunch was leftover chicken curry and rice plus a costa coffee.
Straight from work, I dashed over to Manchester to meet my friend for her birthday. They had eaten at the ivy but I only made it in time for dessert and a drink. I had a chocolate bomb which had a bit of theatre of a disappearing shell when the waitress poured the sauce over. Very, very rich!

Emma, hope you're doing well, I'll be keeping my eye out for news!! :hug:
EmWilk
Registered

Postby icelesley » January 3rd, 2019, 8:11 am

Breakfast: porridge
Lunch: egg mayo sandwich
Dinner: beef stew followed by creme caramel and cream :chops:
icelesley
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 4th, 2019, 10:28 am

Yesterday I had spiced up baked beans with cheese for lunch - had been doing housework all morning, was starving, and not much fresh food in other than cheese, so beans it was. Porcini tortelloni with smoked butter (need to get some more tomorrow) and parmesan in the evening. Christmas cake and mini mince pies were consumed during the day too.
In Brighton on Wednesday, we ate in Terre a Terre - vegetarian restaurant. It's not changed much since I last went (about ten years ago.) Food described in great detail with lots of elements. (The Gate used to be, and may still be the same) which I used to find off putting. Not so much this time :)
smoked sun dried tomatoes to start. (Very lush.)
Then I had:
'Rosti Revisited'
Crispy fried potato, onion and garlic rosti, topped with sautéed buttered spinach, finished with cream, garlic, parsley and nutmeg, topped with a soft poached egg and toasted mustard rarebit topping.
OH had
'Better Batter and Lemony Yemeni Relish'
Soft buttermilk soaked halloumi dipped in chip shop batter, served with Vodka-spiked preserved plum tomatoes, bright fresh pea mint hash with pickled quails egg, sea salad tartar and thick cut chips, finished with lemony Yemeni relish.
He said the tomatoes were alcoholic enough for him to feel the effects - good thing I didn't order them!

IMG_8958.JPG

IMG_8957.JPG

Just bread and cheese for dinner? (I can't remember :o )
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby EmWilk » January 4th, 2019, 10:44 pm

I'm a little shocked this evening to read about a bad fire at The Ivy having just been there on Weds :scared:

Anyway, Thursday, I had cereal bar for breakfast. I felt rotten and had not slept well at all with a bad throat.
I didn't fancy the homemade tomto and lentil soup I took for lunch so I got a chip butty from the chippy and dipped that into the soup :lol:
Tea was peri peri nando's-esque chicken, spicy rice, griddled halloumi, charred peppers and onions and charred corn, sliced off the cob.
I was shattered so watched footy and went to bed but still couldn't sleep well?! Again, I felt rotten with a looming cold which is even more annoying today.

Today, i had a cereal bar and banana for breakfast.
Someone got me a veggie subway and crisps for lunch.
I worked from home in the afternoon so had an earlyish easy tea with Leo. We just had the leftovers from last night although Leo found it much more entertaining to hide peppers and rice (on his seat, it later turned out!), hold his hands up and repeatedly ask "where's my tea gone mummy?!" :rolleyes:

Have been in bed making lists and boring stuff since about 9. I should probably try and doze off but I hope there's not another rubbish sleep in store!
EmWilk
Registered

Postby Rocky » January 5th, 2019, 11:21 am

Looks delicious Herbi. And hope you managed to sleep EmWilk. I had a shocker last night - woke up at 2 and that was it :(

Right - think back. Took pea and ham soup to work for lunch on Wednesday but a colleague had made turkey pasties so had one of those instead. Had salmon with rice n peas for dinner. Thursday was the usual boring salad for lunch (thank god they’ve resolved the romaine lettuce issue!). We had friends over for dinner and had spicy sausage casserole and a lovely banana cake that one person brought. There is a new Lebanese place here (SO exciting) so I had lunch from there yesterday - falafel, hummus and tabbouleh. For dinner I just had roasted sprouts and cauliflower with bacon.

Think we are out for lunch and dinner today - although I've had a headache for three days that won’t go away so not sure how keen I am. If we do though I will likely have fish tacos for lunch. Dinner is due to be at an outdoor sports bar to watch NFL - they do amazing jerk chicken wraps - so that or ribs.
Rocky
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 5th, 2019, 12:20 pm

Emma, have you tried Nytol one a night? I am off to get some today, but I fear even that will not work for the night I am buying it for (Sunday, which is, of course, before Monday... The last two weeks have proved that work is the maincuase of my insomnia.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 5th, 2019, 1:38 pm

Last night we had a kedgeree followed by a white fruit salad - I posted about the white watermelon I had been given elsewhere.

Lunch has been hm celery soup with sourdough bread and an espresso with our daily allowance of a square of dark chocolate
tonight I have a cassoulet in the oven and I'll make a green salad to go with it. Bananas flambeed in rum with a scoop of salted caramel ice cream afterwards.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 5th, 2019, 2:57 pm

I have made some curried parsnip soup that I will have for supper, but for lunch it's fish and chips … just waiting for the weekend man to arrive with the order.

In respect of bad nights sleep, I got 8 hours the night I had sorted out safe delivery of the wrong shower screen … but have been suffering from excruciating cramp deep in my right groin several times lately... a bit of research and I think it has something to do with peripheral neuropathy caused by the radiotherapy and subsequent surgery I had 3 years ago as I never suffered before then. So, for the last 3 nights, I have sprayed my legs with magnesium and have glugged a small bottle of tonIc water before I went to bed … I think the magnesium is the reason I have slept better the last few nights … doesn't stop me waking up with a non-alcholic hangover though :? :? :rolleyes: and exhausted :( :cry:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 5th, 2019, 4:08 pm

That's horrid, Patsy. Poor you.
I have come to the conclusion that my perioidic episodes of extreme cramp down the front of my shins and forearms and sometimes rib cage is related to low blood sugar. Correlated, at least. I have talked to the doctor about it in the past, and they just shrugged. It's idiopathic so they were not prepared to even think about a possible cause. I hope your GPs can be nore helpful.
My mother was taking quinine tablets for cramp at one point, which worked, but made her a bit deaf :?
I take magnesium too, in tablet form, but it doesn't seem to do much re sleep. It does seem to help with restless leg syndrome though. I once tried the spray, and never have I felt such extreme itching in my life :shock: I suppose an epsom salts bath would be good (bouyant warmth and magnesium), but I daren't try it because of the itching.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 5th, 2019, 9:10 pm

Herbidacious wrote:My mother was taking quinine tablets for cramp at one point, which worked, but made her a bit deaf I take magnesium too, in tablet form, but it doesn't seem to do much re sleep. It does seem to help with restless leg syndrome though. I once tried the spray, and never have I felt such extreme itching in my life I suppose an epsom salts bath would be good (bouyant warmth and magnesium), but I daren't try it because of the itching.

I have just ordered some BTW (Bermondsey Tonic Water) on the advice of the guy who was in our group on the Cyprus holiday - originally because he is a bit of a gin officionado and the only spirit drink I like is a G&T ... it is apparently made from 'real' quinine, so I thought it would help with the cramp. Is it a normal side effect that it makes you deaf ? :o :( I can do without that as I already need/wear hearing aids ! :rolleyes: :cry: I understood that magnesium aided good sleep (from Zosh iirc :?: ), so bought the tablets but with my re-fashioned digestive system, they came out the same as they went in :o :( I found the spray in H&B … 'Better You' brand - 3 kinds with different herbs and minerals including one especially for better sleep (and one formulated for recovery :? ). The spray does sting a bit, then gets warm, then wears off .. or at least I drop off ;) :tu:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop