What are you eating today? (v4)

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: What are you eating today? (v4)

Postby Herbidacious » January 5th, 2019, 10:38 pm

Hopefully you will notice if you begin to be a bit deaf, but I imagine that what's in tonic water is too little to do that. She stopped taking the tablets and does have tonic water now. Her hearing seems ok. (Although she does have the phone on speaker setting :) She's ok when I am in the room with her.)

I find eating a bit of salt helps instantly (I keep some by my bed.) The GP said there is no scientific reason for this, unless you are dehydrated, ergo it can't work. But it seems to. Not terribly healthy if you do it a lot, though, I suppose.

The magnesium spray I bought itched like nothing on earth! I had to run wash it off. Maybe I should take more magnesium... Or try another brand. I take 3 or 4 (100mg) Solgar chelated tablets in one go. I really shouldn't keep taking Nytol. It's been linked to dementia...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby EmWilk » January 5th, 2019, 11:21 pm

Never tried Nytol or any other sleeping aids. Have never really had a problem with sleeping, I just put the last few nights down to feeling ill with a bad throat/cold. Not sure you're selling it to me either Herb with the dementia link! I am very lucky actually to be a good sleeper, I know some people struggle terribly. I should get more of it really as staying up working like I do is not a good habit to have (she says, with her laptop beside her in bed :rolleyes: ). I hope you lot all get some good rest in, I don't envy you all.

Anyway, today, I had a toasted wholemeal pitta with cooked mushrooms for breakfast.
I sampled a vegan sausage roll from Greggs after reading about much controversy. I have to say that I enjoyed it... It's a long time since I had a sausage roll and most definitely years and years since I had one which wasn't made by myself. It was just quorn filling, the pastry was like pastry so all good really. I'd buy it again.
Anyway, half of a small ham sandwich from a country cafe later on.
Tea was egg fried rice with lots of vegetables, quorn pieces and mushrooms.
I so want to drop off but I have a report to write, a meal plan to think of and an online shop to do. Blahhh.
EmWilk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 6th, 2019, 9:41 am

Yesterday's lunch was fish and chips .. not the best :( Today it is Maple BBQ'd pork loin chops (not literally, just the coating ;) ) , cauliflower cheese and smashed roasted garlic potatoes.
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 7th, 2019, 11:52 am

Saturday
last lunch out: pizza at Pizza Express in Dulwich Village. (The pub was no good insofar that I didn't fancy vegan lasagne, the only vegetarian option. Had to ask if I could have dairy cheese on the veggie pizza instead of vegan cheese...)
Indian delivery in the evening. Not had one for ages. Over a year? It was a bit disappointing tbh.

Yesterday I just had bread and butter for lunch. Dinner was a truffle and cheese brulee from M&S. It was a bit past it's date, but I seem to have survived :)
I also had some Christmas cake.

The diet will start very very soon... :(
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 7th, 2019, 1:39 pm

Best sleeping aid is natural - a banana !

Yesterday we had a Veal Flamande. A pot roast veal roast, cooked in beer with prunes, apricots and raisins. I served it with butter beans cooked with shallot and smoked paprika and buttered leeks. We had some Kings Cake and Mr R got the crown!
Supper was celery soup and another piece of cake/brioche

Lunch was/were tuna salad sandwiches -tuna, mayo with chopped spring onion celery and cucumber.Clementines afterwards.
I'm going to turn the remaining veal into Dutch style croquettes, with what I will decide in a bit. I'm going to use the last little piece of Christmas pudding with a spoonful of mincemeat to stuff some apples to bake
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 7th, 2019, 2:47 pm

I guess that would be the magnesium, Rats?
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 7th, 2019, 3:07 pm

What turns a croquette into a Dutch-style one? Edam or Gouda spring to mind but I doubt that's it!

I find bananas quite indigestible and wouldn't dare eat one before bed. Lettuce and turkey are supposed to be effective too (but not really bedtime eating either!).

Desperately trying to get onto a new year dietary pattern but not quite publishable yet :oops:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Seatallan » January 7th, 2019, 5:41 pm

I suppose you could get someone to hit you over the head with the banana until you were knocked out rather than eat it. That might work (though only if it was a very hard banana :lol: ).
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby EmWilk » January 7th, 2019, 11:33 pm

Are the Dutch croquettes like bitterballen Rats? I seem to recall eating a few on a fairly tipsy night in Amsterdam a while back and sure they were veal based.

Yesterday, I had porridge for breakfast with the boy (he also had a mountain of yoghurt and an apple - if only I could get him am to eat properly for the other meals :rolleyes: )
Lunch was going to be the leftover fried rice but OH was eyeing it up so I traded him for some toast.
Tea was a quorn nuggets, chips and beans. Gastronomy at it's finest.

Today, I had a wedge of cheese and onion frittata for breakfast which I made last night with some fig vinegar roasted tomatoes.
Lunch was very late and equally disappointing... veggie subway. At least I didn't have to go out in the wind and rain for it.
Tea has been a pasta dish... chicken, mushrooms, garlic, passata, cream cheese, broccoli and peas. Use up mission, we have a home delivery arriving tomorrow night.
EmWilk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 8th, 2019, 3:45 pm

I think you'd have to eat a HUGE amount of lettuce for it to have a soporific affect...?

I am trying to decide whether to plunge straight into large scale deprivation to tackle the 1/2 stone i need to shed, or easing myself into it into it buy cutting out chocolate and desserts first. There are still quite a lot of these in the house. I am (genuinely) not sure how much of a temptation they will be.

Anyway I am armed with Slimfast bars (! :shock: ! I know. But if used properly will help to kick start it which will give me the encouragement to ramp up the effort once I get going.)

Yesterday I had some vegan salady thing from Eat. A tiny box of falafel, quinoa and tahini, I think. Then a sort of goulash for dinner, which I made using rather weird Fry's soya chicken strips. I think the strips would have been better suited to a stir fry. Will be having the same tonight. Lunch today was a Tesco 'Wicked Kitchen' Mexican(ish) salad bowl. Again Vegan, and really rather tasty.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » January 8th, 2019, 8:13 pm

I’m another suffering with insomnia in recent months. Every 3rd or so night I average about 3 or 4 hours sleep max. Then I get a couple of nights to catch up before it happens again :x

On Sunday we had roast chicken with tarragon, leeks, cream. Last night we had Vietnamese pork belly (the dish where you poach the meat first and then finish off in the reduced stock and sugar until sticky). We had that with rice and some lightly pickled cucumber and carrot ribbons with toasted sesame seeds.

Tonight we had a venison shank cooked in rioja with lots of veg and some creamy mash.

Tomorrow will probably be teriyaki kebabs.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby Rocky » January 9th, 2019, 12:33 am

I’m another insomniac. Regardless of what time I go to bed I am awake from about 2. 80% of the time I then get up at 5 and go for a run and the rest I try to stay in bed. About once every six weeks I have a catch up when I have to snooze during the day at the weekend.

Last night had a Thai pork mince and veggie red curry. Leftovers for brekkie. Dinner tonight has been a bacon, pepper, mushroom and feta omelette with salad. V nice!

OMCO - when is bubba due?
Rocky
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » January 9th, 2019, 6:57 am

Oh Rocky that sounds awful :( The lack of sleep I mean...your food sounds delicious as always!

My due date is next Wednesday but I’ve now got a c section booked for Monday...assuming she doesn’t decide to make an appearance earlier!

Lilia is at pre-school today and some lovely friends are taking me out for a pre-baby lunch. I’m definitely having the baked eggs with smashed hash browns, spinach and cheese.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby Rocky » January 9th, 2019, 10:24 am

Good luck OMCO. Will be thinking about you on Monday unless she makes an appearance before..... Enjoy your lunch.

It’s roti Wednesday today so lunch is sorted. I think I migh do a chicken, lemon and green veg think that is simple but delicious.
Rocky
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 10th, 2019, 2:27 pm

OMCO all good wishes for a happy landing, whenever it happens :hug: Hope you enjoyed your lunch.

I made a really traditional quiche Lorraine last night and there was some left over for lunch. We had steamed spinach last night and I bought a small quantity of celery remoulade and piedmontaise salad from the deli counter to have at lunch time.
The rest of the gateaux des rois
I have the ingredients for a chilli for tonight and a couple of ripe avos to make a guacamole to go with it. The rest of the gateaux des rois is to be turned into a bread and butter pudding.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 10th, 2019, 4:43 pm

Very best wishes to you OMCO! :hug:

I think it's time I joined in again, for my entertainment if not yours :lol: . I went so off the rails during a busy time before and during the festive season that it was too embarrassing to write. I am trying to have proper mealtimes this week (where possible!) and will reduce the content next week.
Yesterday was:
'Go' biscuits
Big salad with feta
Freekah with mixed veg, soft garlic cloves, hummous, olive Tofu. An orange

Today: lowfat peanut butter and banana on toast
Cheese and tomato on toast.
Later will be the rest of the Freekah and something similar to yesterday.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » January 12th, 2019, 6:11 am

Thank you! :hug: x

I had a nice lunch at a health spa place where I’d gone for a massage (Christmas present off DD :luv:). The lunch was buffet style but pretty good. I had leek and potato soup and then a spicy build your own chicken and veg burrito along with various bits from the salad bar. I ignored the dessert section!

Last night we had a group of friends round for dinner with their daughters who are the same age as Lilia. The girls all had biryani which we also had but we also made a chilli prawn dish and a slow cooked lamb curry for the adults too. Plus a few sides.

Tonight we’re having pork belly with garlic, lemon and sage. I haven’t decided what with yet.

Tomorrow we’re going to our favourite Italian in the village for a last dinner as a 3. See you all on the other side!
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby aero280 » January 12th, 2019, 9:17 am

Not 100% sure, but lunch is likely to be a pie and chips at the Ace Cafe! :)
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby earthmaiden » January 12th, 2019, 2:00 pm

Best wishes OMCO!

How wonderful aero :hungry:.

Tonight is a birthday takeaway at work - birthday boy wants Indian. Last night we were inundated with really nice biscuits. Otherwise it's been similar to before. Tomorrow the Spring Trim starts in earnest!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 12th, 2019, 2:14 pm

Last night we had calves liver with orange and pilaf rice with sprouts. The rest of the bread and butter pudding for dessert.
Lunch was carrot and coriander soup with really chunky bread from town followed by a couple of clementines each afterwards.
Tonight we have pike quenelles with Nantua sauce ( thanks M. Malavard) and i have made a pile of crepes this morning some to freeze and some to have with hm cherry compote tonight.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Rocky » January 12th, 2019, 3:19 pm

Good luck OMCO - how exciting!

I thought I’d written this but obviously not :oops: Last night we had a sort of half Cambodian half Chinese mean. OH made beef loc lac and I made garlicky greens a tomato and egg dish and fried rice :chops:

We are going to an afternoon pool bbq today. Our contribution will be hummus, a roasted veg, chick pea and feta salad and some tikka chicken kebabs.
Rocky
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 12th, 2019, 3:33 pm

Good luck OMCO.

All the way home last night I kept thinking Cacio e Pepe. That's not what I had, but inspired but it: casaracce with garlic cooked in smoked rapeseed oil, pine nuts, smoked butter, peas, lots and lots of black pepper, and a generous helping of freshly grated parmesan. The peas were there primarily because everything I had eaten so far had been pasta coloured )a banana, some savoury mini rice cakes, a cereal bar.) and otherwise, that theme would have been continued.

Somehow forgot breakfast and lunch today, so I have just had a scone with clotted cream and strawberry jam :) Dinner I have not decided on yet. May involve sweet potatoes. I need inspiration!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby EmWilk » January 13th, 2019, 11:03 am

Good luck for tomorrow OMCO (or before!), how exciting!!

Eating this week hasn't been the best but I had frittata for breakfast for most of the week so that was good.
Rubbish lunches from the limited options close to work.
Teas...
Weds, quorn "ham" and cheese butty, crisps and probably chocolate.
Thursday we went for a 5 course tasting menu at a nice place...
Smoked salmon, beets, fennel and orange
White onion veloute
Beef cheek with various sides
Coconut pannacotta with pineapple
Sourdough cracker with cheeses and jellies.

Friday, OH made our tea of scooped out jackets with a sort of frittata type filling.

Yesterday, for breakfast, I had quorn bacon (weird!) And tomatoes with a leftover spud from OHs meal.
Lunch was out at a cafe. I had club sandwich.
Tea was wedges, topped with veggie chilli and cheese, served with charred corn.

Today, we've just had porridge and fruit.
Lunch.. not sure im hankering for this South American beef sandwich thing but not sure I want to trek into town just to go to a cafe :lol:
Tea, I'm planning a cheaty roast dinner of veggie sausages, mash, yorkies, carrots, sprouts, broccoli and gravy. I'm only doing it so I can have spicy bubble and squeak tomorrow :lol:
EmWilk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 13th, 2019, 1:16 pm

Last night's takeaway order at work was all wrong and we got different meals to those ordered. It was only really a problem for the vegetarian so we rang the shop and said we'd keep the order but come to the shop to fetch a fresh veggie meal. It's a shop people use regularly. The people who went to the shop found the English speaking son of the family aged around 12 taking the phone orders and relaying them to a family member in their familiar language. We suspect the order had been lost in translation!
The guys arrived back with a complimentary whole fresh order for all! I am going to go against all my ressrvations and reheat my second meal tonight. I shall take my food thermometer. Whatever it was I had last night was delicious and filling, I am still not hungry over 12 hours later! I did have a satsuma later.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby EmWilk » January 15th, 2019, 10:49 pm

Hope all is well with Emma and the new addition!

Yesterday, I had frittata and roasted toms for breakfast.
Lunch was veggie chilli and rice.
Tea was spicy bubble and squeak with a fried egg and piccalilli.

Today, more frittata and tomatoes but I had it so late it was basically lunch.
I had a Starbucks coffee and a few bites of a pasty later on.
Tea was miso and soy glazed chicken, sushi rice, crunchy veg and pickled cucumber :drool:
EmWilk
Registered

Postby EmWilk » January 15th, 2019, 10:49 pm

I'd have had the leftover meal too EM, sounds lovely and even better for free!
EmWilk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 15th, 2019, 11:56 pm

That all sounds nice em. I've been looking out for news too!

The reheated takeaway was delicious on Sunday night. I think that's about all I had that day.
Yesterday was porridge for breakfast when I woke up at midday and stir fried veg with dry fried potatoes and fish for supper. Also an orange and some Christmas chocolate.
Today was porridge again, a mixed salad with low fat feta for lunch and a microwave macaroni cheese with tomatoes for supper (rtc in Sainsburys - I didn't get in till after 7pm as I was looking after GD).
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » January 16th, 2019, 9:30 am

We are great - thank you :luv: We’ve called her Gabriella India Rose and she was 7lb 6oz. She’s perfect :luv: Lilia is besotted with her. They let me come home the following day so it was amazing being all together at home last night. I’ll try to post a photo at some point if I can resize one as theyre always too bloody big!!

Food wise we hadn’t planned for me being home yesterday so dinner ended up being Chinese take away.

Tonight we’ve got my sister, bil and niece/nephew visiting so my husband is going to cook a big ragu for spaghetti bolognese which we’ll have with garlic bread and a salad too.

What a bonus on the double take away EM! :D
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 16th, 2019, 9:40 am

Many congratulations OMCO and welcome to Gabriella :luv: :luv: :luv: :luv:
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 16th, 2019, 10:03 am

Congratulations OMCO! So glad everything went well. What a pretty name. Now you take it easy while you can and enjoy this special time! :hug: :cocktail: :cocktail:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Seatallan » January 16th, 2019, 10:10 am

Ooooh, a new Wildie baby! Such a lovely name too.... :luv:

Many congratulations OMCO :wave: :D :cocktail:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » January 16th, 2019, 10:29 am

Congrats what a beautiful name
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » January 16th, 2019, 2:11 pm

Many congratulations! I have a lovely friend called Gabriella, and have always loved that name.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby Busybee » January 16th, 2019, 2:19 pm

Many congratulations to all the family OMCO.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 16th, 2019, 5:00 pm

Congratulations!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » January 16th, 2019, 6:25 pm

Brekkie was shreddies and milk taken in a flask whilst at the auction.

Lunch was the last section of french stick with boursin and Italian posh spam (Mortadella) eaten on my 2nd trip to the auction

Supper will be a shared trout done in the microwave together with cous cous mixed with marinated kale and a handful of green beans.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 16th, 2019, 7:46 pm

We had mince and parsley dumplings tonight with cauliflower rice and sweet corn. A rhubarb sponge with a little whipped cream afterwards.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 16th, 2019, 8:31 pm

Low fat peanut butter and banana on toast for breakfast.
Mixed salad with beans & then a satsuma for lunch.
Macaroni cheese ready meal again with tomatoes for quick supper after electrician had gone.
Also a few nice biscuits I had bought because of all the tradespeople visiting today!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 16th, 2019, 9:25 pm

a banana
lunch out: caponata with a bit of mozarella sprinkled on top with v nice bread
dinner: red thai tofu curry
mincemeat and apple cake with cream
No snacks at all :)

The diet would have been going okish today, were it not for the cake... what was I thinking of making it at the weekend.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby EmWilk » January 16th, 2019, 9:34 pm

Ohhhh congratulations Emma, how lovely! I'm so glad you're home too, great news. Gabriella :luv:

Today...
More frittata and tomatoes
Leftover chicken, rice and veg
A bar of chocolate :oops:
And a gastronomic tea if ever there was one... quorn nuggets, chips and bbq sauce!

I fell asleep on the sofa last night and slept there til 6:40 :terrified: and am absolutely shattered today. Early night but I need to dry my hair first... an hour of a task at least :cry:
EmWilk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 17th, 2019, 7:44 pm

Low fat peanut butter & banana on toast for breakfast again.
Tomato soup and half a Blackstock Blue toasted sandwich for lunch.
Supper not as planned, in the rtc section of the Coop was a ready meal of 'Pulled Jackfruit in BBQ sauce & wedges with pickled slaw. I was curious and it was cheap. The jackfruit was cooked to a pulp and mixed into a sauce with a sinus-blowing amount of chilli and various other of my least favourite spices. The slaw and wedges were tasteless, I felt it needed fruit in it for some reason. I shall not be having that again even if it is free. I had a nice fruit salad afterwards.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Rocky » January 18th, 2019, 10:34 am

Congratulations OMCO. What a lovely name.

Thinking back - Tuesday was a Thai red curry made with pork mince and loads of veg. Wednesday lunch was roti and dinner was kind of Singapore noodles. Boring salad for lunch yesterday. OH was out in the evening so I had sausages and roasted veg. Not sure what I fancy this evening....
Rocky
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 18th, 2019, 12:57 pm

I hope Gabriella and her big sister not to forget Mum and Dad are doing well!

I made a naughty mince and tattie pie last night with carrots and sprouts. Blast from my NE past only there would have been more potato and at least 2 veg with it :lol:

We had the rest of the pie for lunch with coleslaw and pickled beets followed by clementines,
Tonght it's undyed smoked haddock Florentine and faiselle and raspberries afterwards.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 18th, 2019, 10:55 pm

The pie sounds real comfort food!

Today was egg on toast for brunch, a corned beef and salad sandwich later, some chocolate pretzels, a pear, a banana and some pink Angel Delight. The latter due to electrician being due at supper time and then my dashing out to a meeting.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby EmWilk » January 19th, 2019, 9:38 pm

Thursday...
Frittata
Can't remember lunch :?:
Out for Tea at night with an old work friend. I had buttermilk fried chicken burger with mozzarella and garlic aioli and mixed fries.

Friday, more frittata.
Work provided biryani for lunch for the whole group which was lovely.
We decided to have a takeaway for tea... pizza and various sides.

Today, I had fried egg on a seeded bagel.
Went for lunch and had black bean, plantain and avocado arepa.
We couldn't decide on tea so I ended up with a toasted bagel and soup
EmWilk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 19th, 2019, 10:53 pm

Rock bottom today.
Egg on toast for brunch. Large number of pink gins during the afternoon at a work reunion. Egg and toast again later and chocolate pretzels with a cup of Options hot choc. :oops:
Lots of fruit & veg tomorrow.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Rocky » January 20th, 2019, 12:09 pm

Sounds fab Earthmaiden!

We were boating yesterday and went to a really glam place as a treat. I had gazpacho to start and then mahi and a few :cocktail:

We didn’t need much for dinner. I had some roasted veg with pesto stirred through.

Think we may have smoked salmon and scrambled eggs for lunch. Dinner is going to be flattened chicken breasts in Parmesan breadcrumbs with a spicy tomato sauce and veg.
Rocky
Registered

Postby EmWilk » January 20th, 2019, 9:06 pm

Your dinner sounds ideal Rocky.

Today I had banana jam on toast for breakfast. Got it from the south American cafe yesterday. The jam, not the toast.
Lunch was a vegan sausage roll as OH wanted to try one and Greggs had some left for a change.
Tea has been Linda McCartney mozzarella burger on a bun with roasted tomatoes, chips and salad.

I made a big potato, onion, chilli, basil and mozzarella frittata and some roasted tomatoes mixed with cooked down peppers so that'll be breakfasts for most of the week.
I also made a pasta salad for lunch tomorrow and tea will be paneer and veg tikka, tarka dahl and, if I can detour on the way home, some lovely naan from the bread shop near our old office.
Trying to be organised this week!
EmWilk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 20th, 2019, 9:16 pm

Mmm nice Rocky!
em - what was the vegan sausage roll like?

Me: Breakfast: fresh fruit salad and toast with low fat peanut butter
Lunch: A piece off a naan bread with butternut squash hummus
Supper: The pie with some stir fried veg.
Too full even for fruit after that but slept so well after the pink gins yesterday I might have a nightcap later 8-)
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » January 20th, 2019, 10:10 pm

Ooh nice sounding food!

Food choices have been hit and miss here! :?

A take away or two interspersed with decent meals. Yesterday was DD 1’s 4th birthday party and after a hectic afternoon and evening dinner ended up being an entire bag of m&s chocolate pretzels - in bed :shock:

Pate on toast with salad has featured for a couple of lunches. I’m not particularly a pate fan usually but I fancied eating some seeing as I can again!

Tonight we made lamb biryani which was delicious. Birthday cake afterwards.

Tomorrow we’re having roasted peppers stuffed with rice, herbs, bits of veg and lots of melty cheese, served with a tomato salsa on the side and a green salad.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop