What are you eating today? (v4)

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: What are you eating today? (v4)

Postby Herbidacious » March 31st, 2019, 10:25 pm

Friday night ate out in a Thai resto. Disappointing. Mixed veggie starter to share was ok, but the wok dishes were watery and bland. Apple pie and custard at home.
Sat I had breakfast for once. Husband’s homemade bread with salt crystal French butter and last year’s marmalade. Halfway down my last jar now. :(
Lunch was a piece of chocolate cake in an overpriced NT place that was filled with screaming primary school aged children. V stressful.
Dinner was ... oh yes a Quorn ‘steak’ pie. Just that. Then more Apple pie.
Today... got over hungry while gardening so wolfed down the rest of the apple pie and custard. Greedy person’s portion.
Dinner was homemade Thai green curry. Very tasty :) then a tiny Bonne Maman chocolate mousse.
Not enough fresh veg this weekend.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 1st, 2019, 8:01 am

What lovely weekend goodies people have had! I have been at work and had very similar over the past couple of days to the previous couple of days, I find that a similar routine makes life easier when there is no time to cook.

:hug: Rocky. Very sensible to be surrounding yourself with nice people and food. I'm sure all will go well today.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 1st, 2019, 8:10 am

Best of lucky to Mr Rocky and lots of :hug: hugs to you Rocky

Sea you are welcome any time! I suggest Avignon from Southampton :hi5: :hi5:

I've got a lot of asparagus bits , chicken and chicken stock to deal with today. So it's soup for lunch with some fresh bread rolls and chicken and asparagus bouchees with fresh peas and beans for supper.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Catherine » April 1st, 2019, 6:12 pm

Ratatouille wrote:I've got a lot of asparagus bits , chicken and chicken stock to deal with today. So it's soup for lunch with some fresh bread rolls and chicken and asparagus bouchees with fresh peas and beans for supper.

Yums
Catherine
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » April 1st, 2019, 8:55 pm

Rocky wrote:OMCO - did you survive the night out?
Only just :shock:

How did your OH get on? I hope it went well :hug:

We went out with family last night for mother’s day to a Chinese restaurant and had a set banquet. It’s always excellent there and yesterday was no exception. A crab and sea bass dish and the Cantonese sizzling steak were highlights.

Lunch with my mum and Lilia today was chorizo and mozzarella quesadillas with rocket and red onion salad. Fruit salad and a biscuit afterwards.

Dinner was beef stroganoff with frites and rice as we couldn’t decide on sides. Plus some tenderstem broccoli.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 2nd, 2019, 11:03 am

Ouch Rocky.... I shall indeed be thinking of you at 2.00....Sure he'll be fine but you'll be beside yourself I imagine. I know I would. :hug: :hug:

Incidentally, I'm the same when Mr S is away. I tend to get right twitchy unless I'm constantly busy.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby miss mouse » April 2nd, 2019, 11:17 am

Seatallan wrote:Ouch Rocky.... I shall indeed be thinking of you at 2.00....Sure he'll be fine but you'll be beside yourself I imagine. I know I would.

So would I. I am also sure that it will be fine but all positive thoughts and lucky talismans will be employed.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 2nd, 2019, 7:55 pm

Hope all's gone well Rocky :hug: .

No work today so some normality.
Breakfast: Fruit & yogurt
Lunch: cheese & cucumber sandwich and carrot sticks
Supper: remainder of yesterday's sort of toad in the hole & broccoli. The 'sort of' was due to my defrosting sausages, measuring out the milk and then discovering the only flour I had was plain wholemeal spelt and white SR :rolleyes: . I used half and half so made the sort of batter MIL used to make - but it was edible. Also used pork and apple sausages which were lurking in the freezer from a ltc offer, I have never bought them full price when there is a choice - and wasn't overly keen, a strange sweetness. The whole point originally was to use up milk!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Rocky » April 3rd, 2019, 10:57 am

Thank you all. It was horrible when he was having it and I spoke to him afterwards and he asked me to just talk to him as he needed to hear my voice - so I felt a bit wretched but he is in good spirits now.

Can’t remember what I ate in Monday. Yesterday a colleague and I shared sushi for lunch and I made a pie in the evening - leek, potato and feta. Very nice too. I’m having leftovers for breakfast....
Rocky
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 3rd, 2019, 11:39 am

Last night was pan fried gnocchi - Puglian olive oil - with fresh and dried sage (the slugs have decimated most of my sage plants :( ) then a knob of smoked butter to finish, lots of black pepper and really nice, sweet, fresh grated parmesan.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 3rd, 2019, 12:01 pm

Awww Rocky :hug: :hug: :hug:
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 3rd, 2019, 12:41 pm

Glad it's done Rocky. Hope Mr Rocky makes a swift recovery from the surgery and is home soon. I think it's time for you to do something nice and relaxing. :hug: :hug:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » April 3rd, 2019, 12:48 pm

I’m glad he’s in good spirits Rocky, I hope he recovers well.

Cereal first thing and home made millionaires shortbread at a baby massage class.

Lunch out was a reuben with side salad at the deli. Dinner will be alpine chicken stew with parmentier potatoes and green beans. Trying to decide on an appropriate white wine to go in it and alongside it...might pop to the wine shop this afternoon.

We probably have some cheese and grapes afterwards.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 3rd, 2019, 1:03 pm

Sounds like a macon Village to me OMCO or an Alsace reisling - but I'm way out of touch with wines other than French ones!
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » April 4th, 2019, 9:57 am

Thanks for the suggestion! I ran out of time and didn’t manage to get to the shop unfortunately so I opened an Italian white. OH’s grannie orders a lot of wine from a vineyard in Italy which she loves so she always gives us half a case for Christmas. I’ve no idea what the grape or type is as the writing on the label is too swirly to read :lol: It’s very nice though.

Anyway the chicken dish may well become a midweek staple as Lilia loved it. We’ve got leftovers to have with rice for lunch today. Link in case anyone is interested.

https://www.sainsburysmagazine.co.uk/re ... icken-stew

I’m heading to the fishmongers shortly as dinner is going to be Gordon Ramsey’s curried monkfish and mussels with saffron.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 4th, 2019, 2:06 pm

Last night I made (and ate) melanzane parmigiana. Then had some very naughty cheese cake 'New York honeycomb and something. On special offer in Waitrose.

Lunch at the Eagle on Farringdon road - squash and wild garlic gnocchi bake. Yum. My friend had skate.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Bubbles » April 4th, 2019, 2:15 pm

OneMoreCheekyOne wrote:Thanks for the suggestion! I ran out of time and didn’t manage to get to the shop unfortunately so I opened an Italian white. OH’s grannie orders a lot of wine from a vineyard in Italy which she loves so she always gives us half a case for Christmas. I’ve no idea what the grape or type is as the writing on the label is too swirly to read :lol: It’s very nice though.

Anyway the chicken dish may well become a midweek staple as Lilia loved it. We’ve got leftovers to have with rice for lunch today. Link in case anyone is interested.

https://www.sainsburysmagazine.co.uk/re ... icken-stew

I’m heading to the fishmongers shortly as dinner is going to be Gordon Ramsey’s curried monkfish and mussels with saffron.

Thanks for this - was going to ask what Alpine Chicken is. May make it next time we have chicken!
Bubbles
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 4th, 2019, 2:19 pm

OMCO - I've got some cooked chicken to use today - and leeks and mushrooms, so your recipe has given me inspiration!

Yesterday was the last small bit of the nasty toad in the hole for breakfast. Jacket potato with beans for lunch followed by an orange and a rtc chicken dish for supper with stir fried veg - it came ready to cook with a bit of puff pastry on top and there was supposed to be cheese somewhere. It was quite nice and there's loads of chicken left for today. Fresh fruit afterwards.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 4th, 2019, 3:15 pm

Gosh, OMCO, that's just about exactly what I do with left-over roast chicken bits to make a pie filling! Never thought of having it as it is, or with rice. Sounds lovely! :chops:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby EmWilk » April 4th, 2019, 8:58 pm

What a load of old rubbish I've eaten compared to you lot!

In fact, I don't remember much decent other than OH made a couple of nice omelette and chips type teas. Last night we had baked jerk ham, rice n peas and some sauteed peppers and corn.

Leftovers for lunch today.
When I collected Leo from mum tonight she was already out for tea at a local Italian so I collected Leo and a pizza :lol: had half of it for tea and OH can have the rest when he gets in from work.
EmWilk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 5th, 2019, 12:05 pm

Yogurt and berries for breakfast - depending on preference.

Old fashioned cheese pudding with baked tomatoes for lunch followed by an espresso and a square of chocolate.

Seafood frito misto with the addition of courgette flower fritters for supper followed by brioche pain perdu with raspberries.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 5th, 2019, 12:19 pm

Ooh Rats, every time you have cheese pudding the years roll back in my mind! I must make one.

Yesterday: Breakfast was yogurt, fresh fruit and a handful of granola
Lunch: Soup with Ryvita and an orange.
Supper: a lovely chicken & veg concoction in a creme fraiche sauce on crushed potato - inspired by OMCO's recipe :tu: .A few dried apricots afterwards.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 5th, 2019, 6:24 pm

I haven't done a true frito misto for agaes but I am really pealsed wit the result . even persuaded Mr r to just eat it with his fingers - something he rarely does. it was yummy - if not entirely healthy,
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » April 5th, 2019, 7:07 pm

Fish is brain food isn't it :D

Tonight's tea was pretty rubbish, southern fried chicken goujons from the freezer with a large salad and dollop of mayo. Yesterday's tea was slightly better, macaroni cheese with lots of mushrooms and chunks of "proper" ham mixed in
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby Catherine » April 5th, 2019, 7:49 pm

EmWilk wrote:What a load of old rubbish I've eaten compared to you lot!

In fact, I don't remember much decent other than OH made a couple of nice omelette and chips type teas. Last night we had baked jerk ham, rice n peas and some sauteed peppers and corn.

Leftovers for lunch today.
When I collected Leo from mum tonight she was already out for tea at a local Italian so I collected Leo and a pizza :lol: had half of it for tea and OH can have the rest when he gets in from work.

That all sounds pretty good to me, not rubbish at all
Catherine
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » April 5th, 2019, 8:03 pm

We are having lovely and unusual food on our journey round the Norwegian coast.
The food is all local and brought on board each day at the various ports we visit.
Last night was based on Sami foods. To start we had traditional Sami bread with soused herrings,soured cream and eggs. Main course was rare reindeer meat with oyster mushrooms and potato purée. Then waffles with rhubarb purée and creme fraiche.
Tonight we’ve had bottarga risotto from Skrei fish, followed by local beef with herbs and red wine butter. Even the salt was from a small island here.
Pudding was a beetroot and chocolate cake with dandelion syrup, which is made by one family on a small island in the far north.
Breakfast buffet style is not so unusual, though the variety and quality of bread is very good, with excellent butter and eggs, as well as the usual porridge, cheeses, meats and fish. Lots of lovely home made jams, and fresh berries too.
Lunches have crab legs, prawns, lots of salmon of various types, herrings and good salads. There are lots of pickled vegetables.
I think I may put on some weight, as I’m not getting much exercise!
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 5th, 2019, 8:53 pm

A lot of bread. Slim pickings at my mother’s and I forgot to get something for dinner when I walked to the shops earlier for some meds for her. Painful foot so didn’t go back.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 5th, 2019, 9:22 pm

A lot of bread. Slim pickings at my mother’s and I forgot to get something for dinner when I walked to the shops earlier for some meds for her. Painful foot so didn’t go back.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby icelesley » April 6th, 2019, 6:39 am

Breakfast: bite size shredded wheat with sliced banana

Lunch: scrambled egg on toast

Dinner: griddle steak and salad (with wedges for OH) followed by strawberries and raspberries with cream.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » April 7th, 2019, 8:18 am

My post of yesterday got lost somewhere!
Anyway, for lunch we had wild mushroom soup, then grilled mackerel with new potatoes.
Red berry pavlova for pud.
Dinner was a feast from the Lofoten Islands.
Carrot soup with Capra goat cheese, from a local goat farm.
Then brandade with grilled stockfish, which is dried, not salted cod.
Roast lamb with a lovely ‘gravy’ called brown sauce. Served with potatoes flavoured with birch salt.
Pudding was creamed rice with red sauce...again made with delicious berries and local rhubarb which is coming into season.
There was also a fish buffet for anyone who wanted it....salmon in many forms, shrimps in their shell, crabs, herring etc.
Yesterday one of the chefs gave us a cooking demo, then we all prepared our own gravlax, which was vacuum packed and put in the fridges for us to collect on departure. This is the only plastic they use on this very ‘green’ ship.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 7th, 2019, 9:51 am

Sounds as though you are having an interesting foodie trip Pat. I have a highly (unintensionally) hilarious book on Norwegian food entitled "Eat the Norway" It was given to me by one of the Norwegian student teachers who used to live with us in Newcastle. The first 4 recipes are for reindeer.

Yesterday we had fish soup with rouille, croutons and cheese for lunch. The fishstall in the market maked wonderful soup which they sell in returnable jars. When you return them you get a stamp on your card and when you have 10 stamps you get a free jar.

Last night we had an asparagus omelette with new potatoes and a creme brulee with rum that I made on Friday. I like to make a batch and keep them in the fridge ready to brulee when needed.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 7th, 2019, 1:26 pm

Patpoyntz, the food on your trip sounds delicious and interesting.

Been on night shift the past couple of nights. Fruit yogurt and cereal for breakfast, stirfried veggies with chicken and potato one night and fish fingers and rice the second (reheated better that you'd think!).Also fruit, dried apricots and cereal type bar on both days. Tonight is a birthday and the person has chosen Nandos takeaway
The team seems ridiculously excited .. the menu does not overexcite me.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » April 7th, 2019, 2:03 pm

EM, I’ve only been to Nando’s once, the chicken seemed quite ordinary, but there were some nice salads, and I liked the potato wedges.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » April 7th, 2019, 8:23 pm

The food on your trip sounds wonderful Pat. Also loving the sound of the fish soup with rouille etc Rats!

On Friday we had panini lunch at a national trust place. Dinner was dim sum and a noodle dish at friends. The children all had a gorgeous veggie noodle dish with mild satay.

Yesterday I was in Manchester for champagne afternoon tea with my mum, sister and Gabriella. We had a combination of the ladies and gentleman’s afternoon tea between us. The gentleman’s version had hot savoury bits and a cheese plate included with the desserts. It was all very nice...apart from a tapenade sandwich on soggy bread :sprout:

Met friends for brunch at an American deli today. I had the New York eggs which was pastrami, latke, poached eggs and hollandaise. Then we all went for an Easter egg hunt at another national trust place so had coffees and cake there. Then mediocre roast dinner at a lovely pub. The food is usually very good but they were obviously overrun with hordes out enjoying the sudden lovely weather!

Not really cooked much this weekend :?

Anyone have any ideas of how to use up some shredded ham hock tomorrow eve please?!
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby miss mouse » April 7th, 2019, 8:38 pm

OneMoreCheekyOne wrote:Anyone have any ideas of how to use up some shredded ham hock tomorrow eve please?!

Parsley sauce and pastry or mash crust and green veg.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Catherine » April 7th, 2019, 8:41 pm

OneMoreCheekyOne wrote:Anyone have any ideas of how to use up some shredded ham hock tomorrow eve please?!

Stirred in to pea soup
Spanish omelette
Added to special fried rice
Added to macaroni cheese
Catherine
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » April 7th, 2019, 9:29 pm

Thanks both. I might use two of those ideas actually and add it to a fried rice dish with eggs, peas and sweetcorn for lunch and the mash crust with parsley sauce and green veg for dinner. I have everything in for those too so I won’t need to go to the supermarket. Thanks! :tu:
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby icelesley » April 8th, 2019, 7:19 am

Breakfast: bite size shredded wheat and sliced banana

Lunch: egg mayo sandwich thin

Dinner: cold roast pork and salad with new potatoes followed by a fruit yoghurt
icelesley
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » April 8th, 2019, 7:58 am

Captains table last night....complimentary glass of fizz.
Green pea soup with cheese crouton
Beetroot spelt risotto with a gorgeous thick, pearly white, cod steak.
Pud was called a Norwegian omelet, which I thought was a soufflé omelet, but this reminded us all of a posh arctic roll.
Perhaps Rats Cooking Norway book may have the recipe?

We are in Trondheim today...the salmon here is greatly enjoyed in Japan, and it is flown out every day on a direct flight, as it has to be less than 24 hours old when it gets there.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 8th, 2019, 6:30 pm

Lunch was a vegan Mexicanish salad
Dinner was nasi goreng made with some vegan bacony thing instead of meat. Quite tasty.Spices courtesy of the spice stall/shop in Borough Market.
Last edited by Herbidacious on April 9th, 2019, 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 8th, 2019, 8:37 pm

Definitely not at the captain's table here :lol:. That does sound lovely patpoyntz.

Last night's Nando takeaway was accompanied by a mound of food someone had brought in to celebrate their retirement = plus cake :? . I had a bean wrap thing from Nandos (still very unimpressed with them) and a side salad of super beans and seeds and things which I brought home and had tonight. Also had a sausage some crisps and some cake. Today has been just the salad, an omelette, a toasted buttermilk soda bread slice with butter and marmite and some cucumber. Really don't want anything else, fruit and veg will have to wait until tomorrow. :oops:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 9th, 2019, 8:29 am

Pat. In French an Omelette Norvegienne is a baked Alaska. You dessert does sound like a cross between that and an artic roll. I've just rung my Danish friend who says it is a souffle omelette with ice cream, but she can't make souffle omelettes :lol: All very interesting though.

I made asparagus veloute for lunch yesterday and we had it with garlic bread - the left over baguette solution!

Lovely supper. Provencal style pok roast ie with a coat of fresh herbs and breadcrumbs. I also made sage and onion stuffing. I cooked some new potatoes round the meat and we had baby new turnips and mange-touts. Lovely garriguette strawberries afterwards.

There is plenty of pork and stuffing left to have a sandwich at lunchtime and I'll use some of the rest to do a stirfry with fresh veg and egg fried rice. There is a lovely pineapple, reposing in the fridge for pud.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » April 9th, 2019, 9:25 am

Thanks for that Rats...yes, thinking about it, it was a bit like baked Alaska. Wonder where I got the omelette idea from, maybe a Danish variation, though I don’t think I’ve eaten Danish food, except bacon and butter!

Last nights dinner was described as salmon pastrami, like gravadlax, made with polar salt, with pickled cucumber and fennel and a small blob of soured cream. Followed by a small pork shank with a stew of small diced veg in a lovely sauce. Pud was a raspberry sorbet with cheesecake made with a special type of culture in the mix, from one of the small islands.The menus are very descriptive and it described the milk in the cheesecake as coming from an award winning dairy herd, which was very well cared for and the farmer says his cows are very humerous!
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 9th, 2019, 12:52 pm

I do hope you;ve been given liberal amounts of schnapps.aquavit with all that Absolutely essential in my view! raw fish.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 9th, 2019, 8:41 pm

You'll be sorry when this all comes to an end patpoyntz! I like raw fish if it is cured.

Breakfast: Toasted buttermilk soda bread with butter and marmite.
Lunch with GD: A sort of mezze with bite sized assorted salad veg, cheese cubes, falafel, pea crisps and dough balls. Blueberries and one of the biscuits we made and decorated earlier.
Tea/supper with GD: Meatballs in tomato sauce with mashed potato, broccoli and carrots. Blueberries and another biscuit.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Catherine » April 9th, 2019, 11:05 pm

OneMoreCheekyOne wrote:Thanks both. I might use two of those ideas actually and add it to a fried rice dish with eggs, peas and sweetcorn for lunch and the mash crust with parsley sauce and green veg for dinner. I have everything in for those too so I won’t need to go to the supermarket. Thanks! :tu:

Worth getting another ham hock

https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/finnish_pea_soup_71758
Catherine
Registered

Postby icelesley » April 10th, 2019, 7:19 am

Breakfast: a slice of bacon and beans on toast

Lunch: Turkey salad sandwich thin

Dinner: grilled mackerel on a bed of peas, green beans and spinach with roasted new potatoes (recipe from SW current mag) followed by a fruit yoghurt.
icelesley
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » April 10th, 2019, 7:31 am

Ratatouille wrote:I do hope you;ve been given liberal amounts of schnapps.aquavit with all that Absolutely essential in my view! raw fish.

Yes Rats, lots of aquavit...which I don’t like as much as schnapps. However the Norwegians are so proud of their spirit, and it was fascinating to learn that to give it the distinct taste it has to pass over the equator, in ships, twice, in oak barrels, which have previously been used for sherry, Madeira or whisky. The name of the ship used is always on the label...sometimes on the back, and seen through the liquid.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 10th, 2019, 8:19 am

We usually have a bottle of Linie aqauavit sitting in the freezer in case of need :oops: Kai sometimes gives us a bottle as a gift.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 10th, 2019, 2:28 pm

Yesterday 'breakfast': a banana and a Naked bar.

Lunch was an Pret Asian style 'veggie box': quite a lot of Cos lettuce, two small stems of mostly stem, long stem broccoli, marinated roasted mushrooms, about a dessertspoon's worth of soy beans, pickled red cabbage, black rice, black sesame seeds (look a lot like mouse droppings. Had a brief panic when I saw one on my desk this morning. We do have mice in the office. On the other hand perhaps it was a mouse dropping...) and quite a nice coriandery dressing. I was still hungry.

Last night I had toasted jalapeño cornbread, chipotle butter, with a coriander and slice of lime garnish (although menu description suggested these last two were more integral to the dish), and burrata with candied (they just seemed like raw slices to me) beets, endive, walnuts, clementine-beetroot shrub. Can't say I could identify the last of these.
Still still hungry.

Hot chocolate at Pain Quotidien.
Herbidacious
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop