What are you eating today? (v4)

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: What are you eating today? (v4)

Postby Seatallan » April 20th, 2019, 3:29 pm

Glad she's home Rocky and that Mr Rocky is recovering too. You're just down the road from us in sunny Reading! Enjoy being together... :luv:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby miss mouse » April 20th, 2019, 4:00 pm

Rocky wrote:OH who is now up to walking a couple of miles at a time.

Excellent news. Well done OH and you.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 20th, 2019, 6:20 pm

Today I have had a slice of simnel cake in the local tiny tiny indie garden centre. Late lunch of leftover roast sweet potato, lovely Greek feta, lemon oil and black pepper. Dinner will be Dijony cauliflower cheese. Not very summery, but fancied something hot and not too heavy. I really want to make one of Sabrina Ghayour's Feasts but we are planning on a day trip tomorrow and I intend to do a lot of gardening on Monday. Next weekend is Denmark :D I am unlikely to rise to the occasion after work...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Rocky » April 21st, 2019, 4:48 pm

miss mouse wrote:
Rocky wrote:OH who is now up to walking a couple of miles at a time.

Excellent news. Well done OH and you.

Much more him than me.. had a great walk today - along Thames path to Godstow, then a ham hock and pea pie in a pub and then back through the meadow. Gorgeous day. Think we may go for Thai this evening. I’m so pleased to have had these few days away with him. Suspect that if I hadn’t the week would have felt overwhelmingly weird (even though going to see mum was absolutely right thing to do) but this has been really special.

Happy Easter everyone. Hope you’ve all enjoyed the lovely sunshine.
Rocky
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 22nd, 2019, 8:33 am

I am so pleased you had a lovely day Rocky.

Lunch today is to be green asparagus and poached eggs.
Supper wil be a veal roast pot roast in white wine with fresh morel mushrooms and spring vegetables, followed by local strawberries. When I looked at the meat there seems rather a lot so I'll cut off 2 nice medallions to freeze for another day.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 22nd, 2019, 11:57 am

Sounds a glorious day Rocky. Everyone's food sounds good.

Over Easter I have had plenty of fruit and hot cross buns :oops: and a little chocolate as well. I decided I'd like lamb with salad and couscous and Waitrose had lamb meatballs in the rtc section which have fitted the bill quite well served hot then cold over the last couple of days. I went out for the day yesterday, also walking by the Thames in a different bit of Oxfordshire. I took a brie and salad sandwich with me which was rather nice.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 22nd, 2019, 6:41 pm

On Friday I had lunch with my disabled friend at the Miller and Carter in King's Langley … we each had 2 courses from the fixed price menu, both choosing salt and pepper squid for starters which was declared delicious :chops: Viv then chose a house special burger and chips for her mains, while I had Sea Bream on mash with spring veg... a delightful meal and £31 in total for 2 x 2 courses and a cocktail each. :tu: :tu: :tu: Viv isn't a fish lover, but I got her to try some of my Bream … she said it tasted too much of the sea ! :aww: I did mention that the clue was in the name :lol:

Saturday the weekend man and I ate at the White Bear in Ruislip … again another lovely meal - he chose rib eye steak (no surprise there then ;) :rolleyes: ) I had this:
Smoked pork belly with pink champagne rhubarb: outdoor-reared Lincolnshire pork belly & crackling, rhubarb & ginger chutney, sautéed potatoes, hispi cabbage & pork jus

Today I had lunch with daughter at the Swan and Bottle on the canal at Uxbridge. This was a Berni Inn in a former life - remember Chicken in a Basket ? ;) … They have re-introduced Chicken in a Basket as a new dish on their menu … I chose that and was very pleasantly surprised how delicious it was. Daughter chose Hake on crushed potatoes with chorizo and king prawns. She didn't leave much ;) :tu: I couldn't eat all my (half) chicken, but brought the leg home for my supper.

I don't think I will be eating much tomorrow :rolleyes:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby EmWilk » April 23rd, 2019, 8:27 pm

Hello everyone... sounds like some good food has been eaten and nice times had!

Saturday, we went for lunch at a nice local cafe. I had soup and sourdough and fries.
Tea was a fairly trashy quorn nuggets, chips and sort of nachos made from corn tortillas topped with all the nacho kinda stuff.

Sunday, I don't recall brekkie.
Lunch was VERY trashy! I'd given up crisps for lent so I had a crisp butty on white buttered bread!
Tea was homemade pizza but I was starting to feel very ill.

Monday, I was rotten with fever, headache, all over ache, dizzy, sick, just horrible! And OH was back at work so I had a very excitable 2 year old and I just felt like the worst mum! We had planned to go to the local park for the traditional egg roll (a very Preston thing!) So off we went and thankfully sister, bro in law and cousins and kids were all there to play with Leo as I sat shivering in the blazing hot sun! :lol:
Needless to say, I didn't eat anything but a nice time was had anyway.

Today, back to work and not much to eat again but I feel better tonight, just a sore throat which has appeared.
I just made myself a crisped up corn tortilla, Mexican rice, spicy quorn pieces, salsa, guacamole and soured cream. Quite elaborate for a first meal!
EmWilk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 23rd, 2019, 8:39 pm

Over the weekend: a rather mixed bag...
For one dinner, gnocchi with homemade/grown roast tomato sauce, Comte and Emmental.
Another, poricini ravioli with smoked butter and parmesan
Satruday lunch was roasted sweet potato with feta, lemon oil and freshly ground smoked paprika.
Had a shared 'vegan platter' in the de Warr centre in Bexhill on Sunday. Turned out to be mostly deep fried :( but ok, alhtough I was ravenous verging on hypoglycemic.
Nice lunch in East Dulwich yesterday: Crispy fried mozzarella, with red pepper jam to share to start, then starter sized (for me) gnocchi (again) with wild garlic, morels and pumpkin seed pesto. Then a sliver of ricotta cheese cake with white chocolate and poached rhubarb.
Dinner was, um a tin of German veggie chilli (improved with lots of spices and herbs) and paneer :o Not much better than it sounds, I'm afraid. I didn't eat it all.
Dinner tonight was a M&S nutroast (so so. It was on offer...) with new potatoes and salt crystal butter, peas and gravy. A very un-me dinner. I then had bread and jam! I was very hungry. (Just a Naked bar and some cereal during the day.)
Last edited by Herbidacious on April 24th, 2019, 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 24th, 2019, 9:02 am

Yesterday we finished off the last 2 hot x buns spinach and new potatoesbreakfast
Lunch was accras with a hot sauce followed by apricot sorbet.
Supper was a veal, ham and egg pie made from the rest of the veal and some ham I had in the fridge followed by faiselle and raspberries
There is enough pie left for a couple of lunches today with sauteed potatoes and beans tomorrow with salad.
Supper is to be risotto primavera followed by pain perdu with barries

I hope you are feeling better Em.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » April 24th, 2019, 9:23 am

What a bonkers weekend that was. Lots of lovely food eaten though. One highlight was a beautiful spicy halloumi and charred aubergine burger with a crunchy slaw with coriander,
chilli sauce and sweet potato fries. On Sunday we had lots of people round and food was mostly Moroccan inspired sides with a couple of garlic and herb marinaded butterflied lamb legs which went on the bbq. On Monday we got the paella stand out and made a big seafood paella in the garden which was delicious.

OH bought me a hotel chocolat Easter egg which is gorgeous! The insides are filled with all sorts of goodies. Last night we sampled the dark chocolate covered macadamia nuts which were amazing with a few strawberries and a small glass of red.

Back to normal today and I'm glad! :D Lunch will be out with some mum friends and dinner will be the hairy bikers sausage and ale casserole with mash.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 24th, 2019, 2:07 pm

Mmm, you have all been having nice things! Sorry to hear about the liturgy em :hug:.

I started night shift on Monday with the remainder of the lamb meatballs, salad and couscous. During the day I'd had ryvita and cheese and fruit and yogurt. Last night I took couscous (got a thing about it at the moment while I have lots of parsley and mint on the window sill and some lemons to use up) mixed with tomato, pepper, cucumber, garlic, tinned tuna and capers with extra balsamic dressing. It was very nice indeed. Also had egg and ryvita earlier in the day and an apple and blueberries. Resisted even a morsel of some lovely cake someone brought in! Need to get rid of the hot cross bun hips.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Rocky » April 25th, 2019, 10:14 am

Well I’m home again and OH should be back the week after next.

Had a lovely few days in oxford. Our last evening we had an amazing Thai meal and shared laap, a red chicken curry, some morning glory and some fried rice. Met OH’s parents for a pub lunch on Monday. I had the beef and ale pie which was such a cheat as it just was a stew with an over cooked bit of puff pastry balanced on the top. We had various salady bits for dinner. I flew back on Tuesday and had miso soup at the airport for breakfast. Lunch on the plane was Thai chicken curry which was actually ok. I was really delayed getting home and thought I wouldn’t have any dinner but the lovely lady who was housesitting had left me some chicken noodles :luv:

Yesterday was roti for lunch and roasted cauliflower and meatballs for dinner. Not sure what to have tonight....
Rocky
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 25th, 2019, 12:43 pm

Glad you're home safe and sound after the eventful trip Rocky!

Yesterday was porridge when I got home, ryvita and banana later and a supper of something unlabelled found in the freezer with added couscous. It was an absolutely delicious concoction of vegetables, stock, beans and some pieces of sausage. I have a vague recollection of making a sort of stew of everything left in the fridge before going away somewhere last year :oops:. I had blueberries and a very small apple too.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby icelesley » April 25th, 2019, 7:58 pm

breakfast: bite size shredded wheat
Lunch: Ham sandwich thin
Dinner: roast lamb , roast potatoes, cauliand broccoli gratin with steamed spinach, followed by shop bought limoncello pud.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 26th, 2019, 12:46 pm

We had calves liver with bacon, onion gravy and spinach last night
Lunch was the rest of the bacon in a soft multigrain roll.
Tonight we are having devilled crab with fried plantain and fresh rasberries with meringue made this morning.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 26th, 2019, 2:02 pm

That all sounds wonderful Rats! :hungry:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Oat » April 26th, 2019, 4:06 pm

Breakfast was berries and yogurt. Lunch was a tiny salad and tuna followed by a date tart, it was unlike any date tart i have ever had, whole dates in a sauce, very tempting to have a second slice! Dinner is going to be monkfish, i think. I am in Gran Canaria for ten days, so i dont have to think about cooking food, just eating it and I'm good at that.
Oat
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 26th, 2019, 4:18 pm

That does sound good Oat! I'm trying to imagine the sauce ... something sweet and sticky maybe?

My week of shifts and freezer/fridge scraps continues .. yesterday was a concoction of pasta, assorted veg and fish in a flavoured white sauce which wasn't quite bechamel - very tasty though. Rest of the day was blueberries, apple and a couple of fish fingers and some 'puffs'. Today has been egg and ryvita and an orange with a spinach, feta and pine nut pie for later and some blueberries.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » April 26th, 2019, 5:02 pm

Porridge
Tuna salad
Salmon Patia with basmati rice

And a Boost bar when nobody was looking.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » April 26th, 2019, 7:42 pm

Ooh nice sounding food :tu:

Last night OH was out for a curry and snooker with a couple of the other dads from our kids friend group. So Lilia and I enjoyed some leftover freezer ragu mixed with cooked rice and cheese and baked in red pepper shells. With salad. Followed by some Easter egg chocolate and a film.

Breakfast out to sort out OH’s hangover this morning. I had a sausage baguette. Dried apricots at yoga class. Various salad bits for lunch with a sticky bbq chicken drumstick. Dinner at the pub with everyone...I had cod with chorizo and crushed potatoes, peas and other green veg. We shared a few of the sharing board dessert platters between us all. The food is fine but nothing particularly special. Now the kids are in bed and I’m trying to decide between a glass of red or a cup of tea :?: :D

Happy weekend everyone!
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby icelesley » April 28th, 2019, 7:35 am

Breakfast: toast

Lunch: soup and a roll

Dinner: Roast beef Yorkshire pud, roast potatoes and parsnips, steamed carrots and kale with stuffing and gravy followed by strawberries and raspberries with cream :chops:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 28th, 2019, 7:44 am

Yesterday I had a crusty roll with salad and sandwich prawn cocktail for brunch. Later was chicken kiev with stir fried veg followed by an orange. Also had a chocolate wafer bar.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 28th, 2019, 7:56 am

Since Friday: vegetarian huevos rancheros (airport)
chocolate cake with marzipan

BF54FDDD-2D01-4E2C-9A97-0E6D0BF3DE11.jpeg

pasta in a rather nice tomato sauce with pecorino. A sliver of Chocolate tart with salted caramel mousse and hazelnuts.
Open sandwich - dark rye bread with avocado, some yogurt thing, pickled cabbage, salad
A slice of gateau. Blueberries involved?

4D64ED78-5A17-49A3-B4C9-1C71B06F16C1.jpeg

White pizza

From the prevalence of Italian style food, as you can guess it’s not as veggie friendly here as I had hoped. There are some high end restaurants that have vegetarian menus, but booked up ( and/ or a bit pricey).

It is a very good cake place though :) I hope I have not put back on all the hard earned weight loss before I came here.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Rocky » April 28th, 2019, 11:43 am

Those cakes look rather nice!

On Friday I had lunch out with colleagues and had a jerk chicken wrap. Dinner was more meatballas and roasted veg.

Had a lovely day yesterday. Went to a beach clean up with friends over lunch and had a veggie roti and a fresh passion fruit juice. Then went to another beach for a friend’s birthday and had prrosecco and lobster- felt very glam indeed. I prefer crab to lobster but lobster on the beach still pretty cool!

I’m off on a boat day today and lunch is being provided so probably salad bits and sandwiches. And possibly more pros Ecco as it is another birthday do.
Rocky
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » April 28th, 2019, 7:59 pm

Those cakes do look good. Your beach food also sounds great Rocky!

We’ve had FIL and his wife here for a couple of days helping us with lots of gardening jobs. Last night I cooked a chilli for us all. This morning we had baked eggs with chorizo, potatoes, peppers, parsley and spinach. Ross and his dad had too much of a particularly good (according to them) whisky last night so they devoured their breakfast this morning with loads of toast on the side.

Dinner before they left was garlic roast chicken, new potatoes and buttered spring greens with tarragon, peas and asparagus. Dessert was chocolate fondant with raspberries and cream.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » April 29th, 2019, 3:52 pm

This morning I had a chopped apple with yoghurt and a handful of granola after the gym.
Lunch was a salad sandwich with a bag of hula hoops.
Dinner will be koftas with veg and rice.

Doesn't seem very interesting.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 29th, 2019, 6:31 pm

Yesterday, rather a lot of cake :oops: nothing to speak of for dinner.
Today an as much as I could manage to eat in view of no lunch hotel breakfast: rye bread, scrambled egg, whipped butter, three types of jam, some sliced cheese, cottage cheese, a tiny pastry. Small quantities of each though.
I am afraid that too tired to cook at all so baked beans with chipotle, coriander, cumin, a smoky Mexican spice blend, smoked paprika, liquid smoke, etc. Grated extra mature cheddar. It hit the spot. Then cherry streusel with clotted cream. Here endeth the cake eating. Back to diet tomorrow.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 29th, 2019, 6:58 pm

Decent cake is necessary sometimes!
Yesterday for me was fruit, yogurt and granola for breakfast before going out. One of our party invited us back for tea and lemon drizzle cake at lunchtime. It was a rather odd cake and my slice had large pieces of hard lemon peel. The Baker later confessed she had been in a hurry and baked it in the microwave. I declined the kind offer to take some home but others accepted :o . Later I had chicken kiev remains with salad and then an orange.

Today was fruit, yogurt and granola again. Greek salad and ryvita and half a apple for lunch and egg beans and puffs for supper - and an orange. Am saving a chocolate biscuit to eat with coffee whilst watching TV later.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 1st, 2019, 8:35 am

I cooked a stuffedchicken on Monday evening and made a pot of ratatouille with new potatoes. We had pain perdu with freh raspberries afterwards.

Yesterday It was scrambled egg with smoked salmon ofr lunch and a curried chicken salad with cashews and apricots for supper followed by a berry jelly
There' enough salad for lunch and supper will be chicken and mushroom bouches. and the rest of the ratatouille The carcass is simmering for stock to make soup for tommorow .
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » May 1st, 2019, 6:33 pm

Breakfast was a bowl of strawberries with some Greek yoghurt . I slice the strawberries first and add them to the yoghurt and leave to stand for 10 minutes , so the juices run into the yoghurt . Lunch was more of an assembly job of ritz crackers, cheddar, tomatoes, celery and spring onions with a blob of Mary Berry’s Caesar dressing on the side. Dinner was a portion of chip shop chips with plenty of salt and vinegar . My first of the year and they were lovely . The chip shop is excellent and they do nice little touches, like homemade tartare sauce. It’s funny because two minutes down the road, is another chip shop which has been voted best chippy in the UK but I much prefer this one
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 1st, 2019, 7:44 pm

Isn't wonderful how many varied meals a chicken can make! Feeling extremely envious of chip shop chips :chops: .

I bought something called pork sausagemeat stuffing with apricots and almonds from Waitrose rtc section the other day. I used it yesterday to stuff a butternut squash which has been kicking around rather longer than originally intended. Rather nice, there was quite a lot of onion in it too. It would make lovely sausage rolls. Anyway, that's been supper for the last 2 nights. Breakfasts have been fruit, granola & yogurt and lunch yesterday was Greek salad and ryvita and today a small jacket potato with tuna from work cafe. Last night whilst out I had a delicious shortbread-type biscuit with drizzly lemon icing. I don't know where our host got them from but it was lovely.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 1st, 2019, 9:37 pm

Last night very (black) peppery pasta with smoked butter (last of. Need to get some more) peas, garlic and parmesan.

Today not much - not feeling well. Banana, Naked bar - 'blueberry muffin', two slices of toast and some tofu scrambled 'egg' (not at the same time). The last of these was not great. Very bitter-tasting, I thought, but I can never resist novelty. Very low calorie and high protein...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby EmWilk » May 1st, 2019, 11:15 pm

Hi All, it's an absolute age since I update it seems. Too embarrassed to post my food i imagine :oops:

I haven't made anything remotely decent until last night so let's just start there.
I made a pasta bake using leftover quorn bolognese and had some of that with a bit of crusty bread.

Today, I had fritatta and veggie sausage for breakfast which I also cooked last night. The fritatta had the usual potato, cheddar cheese and onion but also some chilli flakes, mozzarella and shredded basil. Very nice.
Lunch was more pasta bake.
Tea was a kinda BLT... bacon, spinach, cherry tomatoes and avocado on wholemeal toast.
EmWilk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 2nd, 2019, 11:34 am

Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 2nd, 2019, 12:38 pm

I'm waiting for a delivery of Marmite crisps this very afternoon.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 2nd, 2019, 2:42 pm

I am struggling not to eat the biscuits, having had 4! Although in other ways bad that they are sub-packaged in packets of 4 biscuits, probably a good thing in terms of promoting self restraint.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » May 6th, 2019, 6:51 pm

Hope everyone enjoyed the long weekend!

We’ve been at a fantastic kids play place today - it’s Treehouse in Altrincham Emma in case you’re ever over this way! - the kids all played in the tree house soft play and took part in a Disney dance class and an indoor mini football match while we ate a lovely brunch/lunch..I had hangar steak with hash, spinach, poached eggs and spicy sauce. Some of us had a mimosa after coffees. A kids place which is licensed gets my vote :lol:

Home for homemade tapas this afternoon. Patatas bravas, Gambas pil pil, chicken, chorizo & peppers in sherry with parsley, grilled asparagus with manchego shavings.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » May 9th, 2019, 6:32 pm

Homemade pizza last night...topped with tomatoes, asparagus, mozzarella, garlic oil and quails eggs.

Leftover chilli from the freezer for lunch with rice. Dinner was grilled lamb steaks with jacket potatoes plus a veg side of asparagus, tender stem broccoli, sautéed courgettes, red peppers, feta, parsley and basil. Some easter egg to follow.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby EmWilk » May 9th, 2019, 11:36 pm

Another week passed and another boring report of rubbish food and ad hoc eating. I'm trying to think of anything remotely interesting! Went for a nice breakfast last Saturday and had bacon and scrambled egg on lovely toast.
Nice takeaway of chicken, rice, salad and roti one night.

Last night OH made a lovely lasagne of sorts with loads of veg and quorn mince.

Tonight I made a surprisingly delicious stir fry of lots of veg and quorn pieces with some noodles and a lovely dressing. I suspect the leftovers will actually be wolfed by Leo tomorrow.

That sounds good Emma! Alty market has been on my list forever so maybe I could make a day of it!
EmWilk
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » May 14th, 2019, 7:17 pm

We’ve had quite a few picnics and have eaten out a fair bit in the last week. Trying to remember what I’ve actually made/cooked! From what I can recall... smoked mackerel pate, bbq’d steaks with salad and wedges, seafood spaghetti, watercress soup, vegetable and noodle spring rolls with dipping sauce and an asparagus and feta frittata.

I’ve got hair and nail appointments tomorrow and I’m leaving Gabriella with a family member for the first time for a few hours :aww: I know she’ll be fine without me or OH but I’ll be racing home to her afterwards! Lunch will probably be a panini grabbed from a coffee shop.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby EmWilk » May 17th, 2019, 8:34 am

We've been in Ischia this week, Leo free, so lots of eating and drinking! We've visited a few places too including Pompeii and Capri which has not slowed the pace of consumption :lol: but I suppose did mean more walking.

The food at the hotel has been fab too, very authentic and traditional so we've had lots of grilled vegetables, pasta, bread, fish, meat and cheese. I feel like the whole holiday was worth the melanzane parmigiana alone :luv:

Also lots of cake, gelato and cappuccino. I can barely move!
EmWilk
Registered

Previous

Return to The Coffee Shop