What are you eating today? (v4)

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: What are you eating today? (v4)

Postby Rocky » July 6th, 2019, 9:58 am

I can’t remember Thursday :shock: Yesterday I had a ‘double’ for lunch - they are a Trinidadian sort of flatbread with curried chick peas :chops: For dinner we were out and I had chicken schnitzel.... Have to go to the supermarket this morning so will decide on dinner whilst I’m there but maybe a curry of some sort. We are having a picnic on a boat tomorrow and I am having a bit of blank one on it. Maybe a tortilla but need lots of other things. I am in charge and there will be eight of us.....
Rocky
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 6th, 2019, 5:31 pm

All I ate during the day yesterday was some chocolate but made up for it in the evening with 3 fromage pizza and apple tart with chantilly and ice cream.

Lunch was out: aubergine tart with a salad. This was ok - not great - but always grateful for a non-omelette lunch in France. I did like the little pipettes they gave you filled with balsamic and olive oil. Single use plastic I fear though.
I had a biscuit from La Cure Gourmand. Not sure what type.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Rocky » July 6th, 2019, 6:59 pm

Lunch has just been amazing seared una on seaweed salad with a few chips instead of rice.. sitting on a beach in a gorgeous bay. Boiling though....
Rocky
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » July 6th, 2019, 8:46 pm

Can I move in with you for a bit Rocky?! I’ll help carry the stuff on to the boats :D

Crazy day here. Family swimming, sausage baguettes at the club, kids dance class - picked up Lilia’s bestie for their first sleepover :shock: then trampolining, pizzas, garden play, pub beer garden with antipasti platters, movie and popcorn. They’re supposedly in bed but we caught them commando crawling along the landing up to goodness knows what. They’d better not wake the baby. We could be in for a long night. Someone send wine :lol:
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 7th, 2019, 7:06 pm

A salted caramel yoghurt for breakfast (a fruity one might have been better...)
Lunch in Minerve: gazpacho, ‘bruschetta’ with olives, peppers and emmental, cafe gourmand but with chocolates and nougat etc. (It was a cafe cum ? shop.)

5A8CCFFD-2C7B-402B-99D5-720850561586.jpeg

Dinner back at the cottage. A glass of gazpacho again - this one a green one with melon. We will be having bread and local butter and some cheese - ones we don’t know well :
Neussargues bleu empereur
Salers lait cru
And a brebis with lots of herbs (v good with the thyme honey I bought.) from Corsica. We will try to be more local next time
Also one of those tomatoes I bought yesterday.

Tarte au citron maybe
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » July 8th, 2019, 6:46 pm

Sounds wonderful Herbi.

Yesterday we met up with some friends that we met on holiday. I had a sort of seafood bisque with a fillet of hake and tiger prawns with various other bits in there. Chocolate brownie, sorbet and fruit afterwards.

Tonight we had tarragon roast chicken with braised leeks, roast carrots and buttered new potatoes. We’ve just (finally) finished off the last of the Easter chocolate too.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 8th, 2019, 8:24 pm

Wow you were very abstemious with the chocolate (or you had an awful lot?!) omco!

Today I went straight for an early lunch. Gazpacho again (it really is the weather for it) with some interesting bread, then a large almond and not very sweet biscuit and coffee. This was in a ‘bio’ cafe in Narbonne.
Was hoping for afternoon coffee in the restaurant of a monastery, bu the resto shut at 2pm. (Monastery was beautiful. Especially the lavender and rose garden.)
Dinner was white pizza with chèvre, honey and almonds (and a drizzle of chilli oil). Other cheese and creme fraiche were involved too. Then Apple tarte. Unfortunately there is only one place we can eat in the village, and the next village is 15km away and a very windy hill road, no lights.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 9th, 2019, 5:11 pm

Today less good on the food front, but more typical maybe. Salade Caprese which was actually a chèvre chaud job with walnuts, and tons of shredded lettuce. They did an excellent cafe gourmand though.

This was the only place we could find anything to eat other than somewhere that offered a veggie option of a plate of vegetables ;)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 9th, 2019, 5:14 pm

Sneaky pic of dessert. (I know. I shouldn’t take them. But I was very subtle.)

8465A510-970A-461C-A61B-120A7DBD5FD8.jpeg

Behind the coffee is delicious blackcurrant ice cream. (I am not an ice cream fan.j
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 9th, 2019, 7:42 pm

Herbi - you are having such nice things! The highlight of my day was a banana :?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 9th, 2019, 8:34 pm

Oh dear, EM.
I fear all the hard work re diet maybe undone by all these desserts. Hard to tell as , as usual, I have swollen up in the heat and look several sizes bigger/pregnant. :(
I will be back to diet when I get back. Although I hope to make a few nice summery things too.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Seatallan » July 10th, 2019, 9:21 am

Herbi, that looks truly scrumptious... :chops:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Rocky » July 10th, 2019, 10:32 am

Looks :chops:

We had the most amazing day on the boat on Sunday - people may wish to look away now...... we saw a mother dolphin with her calf. They jumped out of the water parallel to the boat and a bit later I got in and they swam close enough I could have touched them. Truly special experience! Food was good too - I had made a quinoa salad with feta, avocado, kale, black beans etc. Also some hummus, guacamole and smoked salmon nibbles. Someone else had brought ham and cheese. All eaten in a gorgeous little bay. Work is grim at the moment so this has reminded me how lovely it is here. Just had leftover salad for dinner. Monday was chilli from the freezer. Last night had a good friend over - he only eats chicken so I made a chicken, sugar snap peas and asparagus in a lemony sauce. Think tonight is fried rice with a bit of mahi - after roti for lunch, it being Wednesday!
Rocky
Registered

Postby Seatallan » July 10th, 2019, 11:38 am

Oh how wonderful Rocky!! :luv: :luv:

Food sounds pretty wonderful too.... :chops:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 10th, 2019, 4:08 pm

What a lovely contrast to work! What a lovely thing to happen!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 10th, 2019, 8:56 pm

How lovely, Rocky!

Lunch today was just bread and (really nice unpasteurised) butter in the cottage, with two types of gazpacho. Oh, and also had a yoghurt with a pool of very liquidy salted caramel at the bottom. Dinner was in the next village along. 10km away on a tightly winding, narrow, mountainous road. Meze, then fondant au chocolat with creme anglais. A really quirky characterful place which reminded me of the resto in ‘our’ Normandy village.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Rocky » July 12th, 2019, 10:20 pm

On Wednesday I ended up having a work thing so met OH in a restaurant near home afterwards and had chicken schnitzel. Last night made fried rice with various bits and it was lovely. Had it with a gingery brocolli saucy dish. Leftover for breakfast this morning were good :oops: Lunch was at a beach and was seared tuna with wakame :chops: . I am about to get on a plane for four days (important meeting) in UK. Mad but my Mum got a cheap flight from France and I’ve found a great AirBnB so weekend will be nice. Who knows what dinner will be like though!
Rocky
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 15th, 2019, 11:21 am

Friday I didn't really have lunch. Just a few frites from husband's plate.
Dinner was pizza, out. (Again. Won't be wanting pizza for at least a month!)

Saturday was last day in France and lunch was in Montpellier. I ordered a starter to have as a main - there were two vegetarian things on the menu. A plat vegetarian, which I was led to believe was (yet another) plate of vegetables. Husband ordered it and it also involved vegan samosas and a few dips. My starter which contained the words 'Greque' and 'croquette' turned out to be a large piece of (very good) mozzarella, raw vegetables, and rather weirdly little nuggets of liquorice!
I had the best cafe gourmand yet though, albeit without cafe. There were strawberries in syrup with Chantilly, a small piece of dark, dark chocolate tart with chocolate pastry, a delicately orange flavoured crème brûlée, a raspberry financier and possibly a chocolate and nut brownie.

I didn't eat anything else as flying, and a bit anxious so good thing I had a big dessert!

Yesterday, for lunch we shared pitta bread and butterbean 'hummus' and a spicy coriander red dip, then I had a starter-sized burrata salad.
Dinner was (bought) cauliflower cheese, pepped up with Swedish cheese and honey mustard.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 15th, 2019, 11:22 am

It was nicer than it looks!

IMG_1140.JPG
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 15th, 2019, 11:26 am

I really really think that a Cafe Gourmand cafe - a mini desserts cafe - could work. If I had a business brain...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 15th, 2019, 12:24 pm

Another bbq tonight before the family leave tomorrow - I shall be glad to see the recovering of the bbq. because I'm sick of grilled meat.

Tonight it's kebabs - some lamb and some veal and I've made a tabbouleh and a Russian salad to have with them.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Catherine » July 15th, 2019, 6:56 pm

Ratatouille wrote:Another bbq tonight before the family leave tomorrow - I shall be glad to see the recovering of the bbq. because I'm sick of grilled meat.

Tonight it's kebabs - some lamb and some veal and I've made a tabbouleh and a Russian salad to have with them.

Keep it uncovered. A BBQ is so much more than meat. Fish, veggies, fruit.........there are so many options. In fact instead, of covering, why not challenge yourself to cook only on the BBQ for a week and create feasts. (I'm booking my flights)
Catherine
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 15th, 2019, 7:21 pm

I used to live in a house the landlords of which,when they lived there themselves, before renting it out, barbecued all year round. They had built a little covered area with a permanent barbecue in which to do it.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Catherine » July 15th, 2019, 9:19 pm

Herbidacious wrote:I used to live in a house the landlords of which,when they lived there themselves, before renting it out, barbecued all year round. They had built a little covered area with a permanent barbecue in which to do it.

My family have always done this. We once did the christmas turkey on the spit roast attachment of the BBQ we had at the time
Catherine
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 16th, 2019, 9:36 am

Keep it uncovered. A BBQ is so much more than meat. Fish, veggies, fruit.........there are so many options. In fact instead, of covering, why not challenge yourself to cook only on the BBQ for a week and create feasts. (I'm booking my flights)[/quote]

To be absolutely truthful Catherine bbqing is only fun when we have guests and the weather is not as hot as it has been.I just can't eat after about 9.00pm anyway. Mr R refuses to have anything to do with the actual cooking. Fortunately the GCs are more than happy to take over but they are on their way back to the UK now.

I'm going to turn the rest of the beef we had on Sunday into a Thai beef salad for tonight.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Catherine » July 16th, 2019, 12:36 pm

Ratatouille wrote:I'm going to turn the rest of the beef we had on Sunday into a Thai beef salad for tonight.

Sounds perfect
Catherine
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 16th, 2019, 12:40 pm

I made a stir fry of pork strips with bean sprouts and red peppers and all the usual flavourings on Sunday night, served with rice and spring greens with black vinegar

I had a smaller portion of the leftovers for lunch yesterday, and a good cheeseburger at the pub last night

Just about to make a salad niçoise for lunch no idea about tonight.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » July 16th, 2019, 3:43 pm

Very boring today, no enthusiasm for some reason.

Melon and raspberries
Couscous with some chopped salad veg
Left over achari lamb with left over sag aloo and some rice.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Rocky » July 17th, 2019, 9:36 am

I’ve had a fab few days in London with my mum (with a few boring works things thrown in....) Saturday we shared fish and chips for lunch. Dinner was a bit of a disappointing Thai meal -lovely morning glory though.... Sunday we found a pub and a seat where we could watch tennis, cricket and F1 - brilliant. We shared a chicken and bacon salad. We had M&S dine in and had some noodles, a beef and broccoli thing and some edamame (our Airbnb was brilliant). On Monday lunch was shared halloumi, a kale, chick pea and beetroot salad and some fries. Dinner was a couple of really interesting takeaway salads from Ottolenghi - particularly nice was a cauliflower couscous with pomegranate. Yesterday lunch we shared a crab sandwich on the south bank after lots of wandering around. For dinner we got an amazing takeaway from a Turkish place in Ladbroke Grove - shared threes kebab skewers and some hummus and falafel :chops:

Just jumping on the plane so lunch will be whatever BA decides and dinner will be what OH plans....
Rocky
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 17th, 2019, 3:17 pm

Monday lunch was a salad from Pure: sweet potato falafel, chargrilled vegetables, sweetcorn, cucumber, super grains, spinach, flaked almonds with cranberries and lemonand cChia dressing In the evening I had chilli and cheese.
Yesterday I had a small salad from Eat. Not very memorable, but quite nice. There may have been halloumi involved.
Dinner was aubergine and mozzarella tortellini eaten with smoked butter and lots of very fresh paremesan. And then some morello cherry tart with cream.
Today's lunch was an Abokado salad which involved quinoa, I think, avocado, poached egg, lots of veg, kale and a soy and something else a bit creamy delicious dressing.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » July 17th, 2019, 4:45 pm

Raspberry smoothie
Tuna mayo sandwich and a mini bag of hula hoops
Then I wanted something else so I had a ramekin of ice cream with dots of crunchy peanut butter, a handful of sultanas and a handful of choc chips.
Then I wanted to go to sleep.
Dinner is quiche, salad and wedges.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 18th, 2019, 10:56 pm

Yesterday lunch was a rollmop with salad
Supper was a one pot dish of sausages, lentils (canned, brown), onion, courgette tomato and herbs
Lots of fruit too

Today’s lunch was a different salad with another rollmop
Nibbled some Bombay mix and a lot more fruit
The other half of the lentils was turned into a gratin with sweet potato, slightly too much garlic, spinach, herbs all bound with a little sauce made of ajvar, and tomato purée with a dash of white wine, a dash of olive oil and topped with grated cheese.

Might have something more inspired tomorrow
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 19th, 2019, 7:37 am

Yesterday I had lunch at the Fromagerie - twice baked souffle with parmesan cream. Delicious.
Then bread and butter pudding, delicately flavoured with orange, and cream.
Dinner was a little fusilli 'dressed' with lemon juice, a little smoked olive oil, with baked feta (baked with a little of another smoked oil), oregano, toasted pine nuts, petit pois, garlic. It was sort of layered rather than tossed.
And then last slice of morello cherry tart and almond tart with cream.

I need to stop eating all these cheesy things and desserts... miraculously (or not) I didn't gain weight on holiday, but like last year, danger that I will do so post holiday, I was more active on holiday than I am/can be (in terms of energy) when working.

However I do rather want to make Thomasina Miers' cherry and almond bundt cake (Guardian recipe.) The cherries on Leather Lane market looked very very good, yesterday.

This appeals too

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/j ... stard-tart

Meanwhile there is a Pip&Nut cherry bakewell almond butter in the shops. It is amazing. (If you like Bakewell tart.) I may have to buy another couple of jars, if the use by date is sufficiently far off, given that it's a limited edition. Not come up with a good way to eat it other than by the spoonful... which sutis me.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 19th, 2019, 8:28 am

I don’t buy Pip & Nut cashew butter because I eat it!

Which branch of La Fromagerie did you go to? The original on Highbury Hill is a nice walk from here but I seldom go.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 19th, 2019, 9:06 am

Last night, at Mr R's request I made a mac n'cheese containing a couple of sliced Alsatian sausages and button mushrooms and served it with balsamic baked cherry tomatoes.

Faiselle and fresh raspberries afterwards.

I'll make a hot sausage snadwich with the rest for lunch. I've got a piece of natural smoked haddock out to defrost for a kedgeree for tonight.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 19th, 2019, 11:49 am

StokeySue wrote:I don’t buy Pip & Nut cashew butter because I eat it!

Which branch of La Fromagerie did you go to? The original on Highbury Hill is a nice walk from here but I seldom go.

Lambs Conduit street. Only one near enough for a work day lunch time jaunt :) I was tempted by things in their limted grocery section, having bought nothing much on interest in the south of France, but resisted.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Rocky » July 20th, 2019, 10:11 am

Happy Saturday. Got back on Wednesday night to hear one of our cats had been killed by a dog the previous evening. Very sad. Wasn’t really hungry enough for dinner. Thursday was salmon with veggie noodles. Last night was the Sicilian sausage casserole I have mentioned on here. It is :chops:

OH is out for work tonight so not sure what I’ll have. I might make a quiche....

Lunch was meant to be out but the remaining moggie was also attacked and has an infected leg and can’t be left....
Rocky
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 20th, 2019, 9:03 pm

halloumi 'fries' with honey for lunch. I did order a tomato salad too, but htey had run out.
Dinner was Thai style green curry with mushrooms, garden courgette, peas, mrainated tofu, cashew nuts.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » July 20th, 2019, 10:52 pm

Sorry to hear about your cat Rocky
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 21st, 2019, 7:47 am

Sorry I didn't see that, Rocky. How awful. :hug:
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby icelesley » July 21st, 2019, 7:53 am

Breakfast: bite size shredded wheat with blueberries and milk

Lunch: Steak (left over from dinner last night) and salad sandwich.

Dinner: Roast chicken, roast potatoes, steamed carrots, kale and sprouts with gravy followed by strawberries raspberries and blackberries with cream :chops:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 21st, 2019, 12:55 pm

Rarely for me I am posting what my (latish) lunch is going to be: Rack of lamb with HOME GROWN French beans and potatoes :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: I will add some more veg, but so proud that I have grown something edible ;) :tu: :hungry:

and I have to say the lamb rack was delicious ... didn't really need a knife to cut it. Potatoes and beans were a great success (y)
Last edited by PatsyMFagan on July 21st, 2019, 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » July 21st, 2019, 1:59 pm

HM bread, toasted with butter and marmalade
Fishcake and salad
A couple of beers down the road
Chicken and bacon "French style" with a sauce of spring onions, garlic, peas and shredded lettuce.
Served with garden potatoes and carrots.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Catherine » July 21st, 2019, 4:58 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:Rarely for me I am posting what my (latish) lunch is going to be: Rack of lamb with HOME GROWN French beans and potatoes :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: I will add some more veg, but so proud that I have grown something edible ;) :tu: :hungry:

and I have to say the lamb rack was delicious ... didn't really need a knife to cut it. Potatoes and beans were a great success (y)

When you have grown it yourself it tastes amazing. Hope you enjoy many more meals to come
Catherine
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 21st, 2019, 11:43 pm

Herbidacious wrote:Lambs Conduit street.

I didn’t know that one

Last night was Iberico charcuterie with celeriac remoulade then grilled tuna with courgette gratin and triple cooked thick chips (McCain)

Today broad bean and squid paupiettes from the Sardine book to start and marinated leg of lamb with veg and a puttanesca sauce from On the Side
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 22nd, 2019, 7:03 am

Do I remember you saying you had guests Sue? When are we to be invited? :chops:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 22nd, 2019, 7:38 am

StokeySue wrote:
Last night was Iberico charcuterie with celeriac remoulade then grilled tuna with courgette gratin and triple cooked thick chips (McCain)

Today broad bean and squid paupiettes from the Sardine book to start and marinated leg of lamb with veg and a puttanesca sauce from On the Side

Good Heavens Sue, you certainly know how to push the boat out …

earthmaiden wrote:Do I remember you saying you had guests Sue? When are we to be invited? :chops:

Me too ;) :chops: :chef: :hungry:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 22nd, 2019, 10:02 am

earthmaiden wrote:Do I remember you saying you had guests Sue? When are we to be invited? :chops:

Me too ;) :chops: :chef: :hungry:[/quote]
Well now earthmaiden is not tied to the satanic shift schedule, we can revive the plan to visit Abney Park?

This week I will be surviving the heat on leftovers! I think the spare gratin will make a nice brunch topped with an egg, and the leftover tuna will me a not Niçoise salad for tonight
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » July 23rd, 2019, 8:59 pm

I’m so sorry to hear about your cat Rocky.

We’ve been on holiday in Calabria in Southern Italy. The area is famous for its red onions, nduja and tartufo ice cream so we had a lot of those, plus lots of seafood pasta.

Home now and last night we cooked bavette with frites, salad and smoked garlic and mustard mayo. Tonight we had a family fave of tarragon chicken with leeks, bacon, white wine and cream - served with olive oil mashed potato and greens.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 23rd, 2019, 9:43 pm

Today was at a meeting and was fed sandwiches, salad and I had a Bakewell tart

Tonight I stuffed pita pockets with leftover roast lamb, chilli sauce and salad, only moderately hungry and really not up for cooking, having been in air-con all day when I came out I felt like I’d been fed sleeping tablets

Tomorrow, I don’t know
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop