[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - What are you eating today? (v4)

What are you eating today? (v4)

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: What are you eating today? (v4)

Postby Oat » January 26th, 2020, 6:42 pm

Left over haggis, neeps and mash :lol:
Oat
Registered

Postby Busybee » January 26th, 2020, 6:51 pm

Well there was nothing wrong with the frozen turkey crown and it was exceptional value for money. It cooked much quicker than anticipated, easy to carve and plenty leftovers.

However we all agreed that the farm reared local turkey had much more flavour and was moister, and generally felt more of a special occasion meat. We will be sticking with our existing supplier as long as we can afford it but would have the frozen crown again for a normal Sunday roast.

Putting my feet up now!

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 28th, 2020, 8:42 am

lunch in the Mitre, Ely Court - crappy cheese and onion toasty in lovely surroundings. I could still taste the raw onion this morning inspite of:
an interesting (and nice) dinner in Vanilla Black.
amuse bouche to start with was some sort of custard (vaguely coca cola flavouring?!) with a foam on top.
Two breads and flavoured whipped butter
Whipped Londonshire, Branston Pickle Toffee and Sourdough Celery and Loveage Jam and Walled Garden (?!) Salad
baked cheddar pudding with various bits (including celeriac, I think :) )
coffee and 4 chocolates, one of which was nice in spite of containing lavendar ;) I have to admit I was too chicken to try a dessert. Husband wasn't and had sweetcorn Parfait, Miso Butterscotch and Peanut Butter Cookie Peanuts and Sweetcorn Polenta
Weirdly I am a bit hungry this morning.
Last edited by Herbidacious on January 28th, 2020, 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." Albert Camus
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 28th, 2020, 8:50 am

Sounds amazing!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 28th, 2020, 11:02 am

They do this thing of using conventionally savoury ingredients in sweet dishes and vice versa.
“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." Albert Camus
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 28th, 2020, 11:12 am

Those you mention sound as though they'd work well.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » January 30th, 2020, 12:19 pm

Last night we made calzones filled with all sorts (we filled our own individually). Mine had mushrooms, peppers from a jar, kale, basil and various cheese.

Tonight we're having a chicken and sausage one pot with new potatoes, paprika, peppers, onions, tomatoes etc. Served with mixed greens and green beans.

Tomorrow we're having pork shoulder. I cant decide between pulled pork or a pork, cider and pear stew with pearl barley and cavolo nero.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 2nd, 2020, 6:12 pm

A nice post two-days-at-my-mother's lunch out:
burrata with chard, black olives and crumbs (something lemony in there) - a starter so crispy olienta with aioli as well.
then Seville orange Bakewell tart with a dollop of creme fraiche
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » February 2nd, 2020, 9:17 pm

Earlier we had pasta with scallops
Now we're enjoying blue Stilton and a glass or two of malbec.
But J has just gone to get his gout tablets :rolleyes:
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby icelesley » February 3rd, 2020, 8:03 am

Breakfast: bran flakes and a splash of milk.

Lunch: coronation chicken sandwich thin

Dinner: chicken salad followed by strawberries and raspberries with cream
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » February 6th, 2020, 12:38 pm

Aubergine parmigiana on Monday with a green salad.

Tuesday we ate pastas and steaks at the gym after L’s sports class.

Last night we had salmon with with skinny fries and a pile of green veg dressed with Isle of Wight garlic farm garlic butter.

Tonight we’re having seared lamb steaks with flatbread, feta, olives, pickled chillies and tomato and red onion salad.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 6th, 2020, 4:26 pm

OMCO, your meals continue to make me envious! I've been creative with things lurking in the fridge again!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 6th, 2020, 7:12 pm

Aubergine parmesan is one of my favourite dishes.

My diet has been a bit poor this week. Yesterday I had two Naked bars, a banana, some marmite biscuits. no lunch, then one welsh rarebit-stuffed bubble and squeak cake. (B&S cake had lots of veg in it, though - roast parsnip, carrot, potato, sprouts, peas, onion, sprouts.) Had this with a dollop Branston. I then had a small, dark chocolate and salted caramel pudding (a bit disappointing) with custard.
Today I had another Naked bar, a banana, two Fox's chocolate biscuits. Lunch was some porridge with German chocolate cherry powder in it (also contained cinnamon and black pepper! And possibly other things.)
Dinner is sort of more Welsh rarebit stuffed B&S (I just made a B&S and WR 'sandwich' in an small enamel dish which has gone in the oven, as too tired/lazy/non-desirous of smelling of fried food to do it on the stove top.) I might have it with okonomiyaki sauce... need to make the okonomiyaki I bought it to go with soon!
Last edited by Herbidacious on February 8th, 2020, 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » February 7th, 2020, 5:53 pm

Had a small bowl of granola pre-dentist this morning.
After the anaesthetic finally wore off I had a very welcome coffee and a salad sandwich.
Tonight will be Jamie Oliver's mushroom stroganoff, haven't used his recipe before.

We are both fancying a break from meat for some reason, although we are still enjoying fish.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » February 7th, 2020, 9:48 pm

OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 7th, 2020, 10:17 pm

Oh goodness OMCO, what an awful thing to have to deal with - at so many levels. I feel sure food for mum will be appreciated :hug: :hug:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby miss mouse » February 7th, 2020, 11:05 pm

miss mouse
Registered

Postby Seatallan » February 8th, 2020, 11:02 am

Oh Lordy OMCO! What a terrible thing.... I do hope the wee one will be OK.....
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby icelesley » February 9th, 2020, 10:32 am

Breakfast: porridge and a splash of milk

Lunch: weight watchers leek and potato soup

Dinner: Roast chicken, roast potatoes and parsnips, steamed sprouts and carrots and gravy followed by mixed berries and cream
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » February 9th, 2020, 12:10 pm

Breakfast was a cup of tea and a slice of birthday cake, from yesterday evening
Lunch will be fishcakes and salad
Dinner will probably be a veg chilli
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » February 9th, 2020, 8:26 pm

Thanks, it’s so sad but we’re all hopeful for a positive outcome :hug: She’s just so tiny :cry:

Breakfast was omelette, chips and beans :shock: We were having bagels but they were 4 days out of date and I didn’t fancy that. Not sure I’ve ever had chips for breakfast, we all wolfed it down!

Fruit and cookies after the hospital. Dinner was Chinese pork belly with soy and sesame broccoli and sticky rice.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby MagicMarmite » February 10th, 2020, 2:22 pm

A friend of mine went through the same with her Dd a few years back OMCO, homemade food was always very welcome.
It's a horrible disease, is it AML?
MagicMarmite
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » February 10th, 2020, 7:36 pm

OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby MagicMarmite » February 12th, 2020, 3:22 pm

My friend's daughter went from unexplained bruise to AML in a few days, her GP and his wife were people we'd all known for years, we're all still in touch.
My friend really did appreciate homemade food, the facilities on the ward were awful, we also took it turns to do their laundry, given where they live it was difficult for her husband to be there often and they have two younger children.

Anyway, I've not been well, had some weird buggy/virus thing so can't stomach much, mainly miso soup or jacket potatoes.
I'm making a Thai red veg curry tomorrow, my daughter is coming over and that's what she's asked for.
MagicMarmite
Registered

Postby Rocky » February 12th, 2020, 7:00 pm

OMCO - I'm so sorry to hear this. How awful for her and the family. Thoughts and :hug: to all.

Over the past few years I thought I'd been busy but it appears that wasn'tt full capacity as that what it's been like for weeks and weeks :terrified: Eating hasn't been brilliant but I was detremined to improve. Last Friday we went to one of our favourite restaurants that does Asian tapas - had shrimp lettuce rolls, wonton, jerk chicken tacos etc. And then danced on the beach - I feel I needed that. On Saturday we were at friends' house for dinner and had roast lamb with an array of salads. Sunday was pork and chickpea curry.

Monday we had salmon with a stir fry of loads of veg in a red curry sauce and courgetti rather than noodles - delicious. Last night I was at work until 8 so we went out. I had a rustic salad that had bacon in it with mahi. Tonight we are having omlette and as we have loads of courgettes left from Monday, Might do some sort of courgette ribbon side dish rather than salad.
Rocky
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » February 14th, 2020, 11:09 am

Thanks all x

Last night we had beef stroganoff with rice.

Breakfast out with OH after the school and nursery drop off and I had eggs benedict. I’m also out with 2 of my best friends for lunch, no idea how I’m going to fit anything else in! I’ll probably just have a starter. Shame as the place does the most delicious Thai veggie burger with Asian slaw.

Tonight we’re feeding the girls at our local and then we’ll eat when they’re in bed. I think we’re cooking seafood linguine.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby Rocky » February 14th, 2020, 12:35 pm

Happy Friday all. I am about to have a bacon and avocado sandwich for breakfast after a run this morning. That will probably cover lunch too. For dinner we are doing some bits and pieces. We have some sushi grade tuna so making tartare. I will make some dips roo - and possibly fresh spring rolls.

Hope everyone has a great day.
Rocky
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 14th, 2020, 3:17 pm

I have had a mixed week. One night was a sort of full (half?) English cooked by husband...!!! (Beans, sausages and egg.) Another night was spicy, smoked beans and cheese. Two nights of butternut squash gnocchi. Night one: pan fried with sage and eaten with smoked butter and parmesan. Night two: au gratin with a tomato sauce and mozarella and parmesan.
Last night had a quick meal out before a talk (on mermaids!):
ricotta gnudi with cavolo nero and other things and a generous amount of grated cheese of some description
rhubarb, marmalade and almond tart with whipped rose cream (tasted a bit too soured/off to me) and custard
lunch today was a delicious Pret salad of sliced, marinated tofu, pickled red cabbage, mango chunks, pickled cucumber slices, red rice, avocado with a wedge of lime.
Then a lemon cheesecake pot.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » February 15th, 2020, 4:51 pm

Tonight it's going to be cullen skink with crusty bread, then probably cheese and crackers.
Simple and tasty.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » February 15th, 2020, 7:50 pm

OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » February 15th, 2020, 9:03 pm

I always fancy a mimosa

But currently enjoying yarg and cambazola on my favourite crackers - FinnCrisp.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 16th, 2020, 7:44 pm

Had a Zizzi lunch yesterday. A bit disappointing. I realize now that they had gone up in my estimate on the basis of their Christmas special, now no longer on the menu. I had unmemorable ravioli then a brownie 'injected' (their word) with salted caramel. It was ok. Not really worth the calories tbh.
Dinner was baked chilli halloumi and warm pitta bread.
Today I had welsh rarebit and faux bacon for lunch, followed by brioche and butter pudding (bought: Waitrose) with Seville orange syrup (aka unset marmalade :) Yum! ) and single cream.
Not sure if I will have dinner. I have been very indolent and sedentary and indeed asleep today. I am pressing some tofu at the moment. (Or my tofu press is...) I may make glazed tofu from the I Can't Believe its Tofu (or whatever it's called) book. But I just realized I am out Monday and Tuesday night, so I shouldn't really have opened it if I am not going to eat it. (Husband is out tonight so doesn't need feeding.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » February 19th, 2020, 9:01 pm

Homemade fish and chips on Monday. Lamb shank rogan josh last night.

Pancakes and fruit this morning. Paninis out for lunch after a library music class...my 1 year old got a tambourine stuck around her neck for 15 minutes which halted the class somewhat :shock: I thought we’d have to send for bolt cutters at one point.

Toad in the hole with lots of veg and gravy this evening. Cheese and biscuits and a glass of wine too. I deserve the wine...I also got covered in wee with no change of clothes at one point today :|

Going back to work on Friday is starting to sound like a positive thing :D
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 19th, 2020, 9:23 pm

Oh OMCO - how awful (I meant the tambourine but the rest probably wasn't great either!). Panninis must gave been most welcome!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 20th, 2020, 12:50 pm

Last night I was going to make drunken noodles, but was too tired, so just tossed noodles in teryaki sauce, a little black bean and chilli paste and soy sauce.

Had with petit pois, and tofu that had been mainated in the following: fresh garlic, ginger, black rice wine vinegar, maple syrup, soy sauce, Hendos, smoked rapeseed oil.

it was tasty :)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Rocky » February 21st, 2020, 7:41 pm

Oh dear OMCO.....

Can't really think that I've eaten anything very exciting this wee. Can't remember Monday :shock: . Tuesday we had a beef stew OH had made in the slow cooker. I had been completely bratty and unenthusiastic about it but it was lovely. He had added gnocchi which was lovely. Wednesday we were out with friends and I had blackened mahi with fries and salad. Last night we had the Scilian sausage stew - love the fennel seeds in it. We are out tonight at a place that does amazing seared tuna. Boating tomorrow which will involve fish for lunch no doubt and I think something simple like a Thai veggie curry in the evening. Haven't thought further than that....
Rocky
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » February 21st, 2020, 8:23 pm

Anyone know where emwilk is? Haven't seen her post for ages
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby Busybee » February 21st, 2020, 8:44 pm

Busybee
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » February 21st, 2020, 10:29 pm

I’ve seen some Instagram posts from Emma too - some lovely looking food :chops: so I think she’s ok.

Crumpets first thing. Crappy panini at work.

For dinner we met friends at the food hall market place type venue and we all ate from different vendors and shared bits. I ordered flat iron steak with chimichurri and garlic butter. It was slightly rarer than I like but still delicious. I also had small bits of halloumi fries, charred hispi cabbage, roast garlic chilli mushrooms, skinny fries, slow cooked short ribs and Greek chicken shawarma. Plus a crust from the kids pizza. I even managed a bite (or 3) of a tower of smores blow torched on a stack of fudgy biscuit with hot chocolate sauce and some bits of what were possibly boozy raspberries. And a champagne cocktail and a glass of red.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » February 21st, 2020, 10:30 pm

Oh and the tambourine thing wasn’t that bad, I was more embarrassed than anything :oops: :D
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 21st, 2020, 11:20 pm

Last night I made creamy leek faux chicken fillets with garlic and Dijon and lots of herbs. It was rather nice.
Abokado poached egg, avocado and other things salad with a creamy soy and sesame dressing. I love the dressing. I would love to recreate it. But I may have had the salad one too many times though :? I had a slice of bread pudding after that.
Dinner was souped up pizza.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Rocky » February 24th, 2020, 2:45 pm

On Saturday I ended up having a lovely shrimp wrap for lunch. Dinner was pizza for OH and roasted veg for me. Lunch yesterday was a chicken roti :chops: . OH still had half a pizza so he had that and I had some roasted aubergine and tater tots :oops:

Tonight will be Thai curry with stacks of veg.
Rocky
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » February 27th, 2020, 1:53 pm

Struggling to recall the last week.

Last night we had whole seabass baked with sliced new potatoes, courgettes, cherry tomatoes, lemon and herbs, splash of stock and white wine.

Tonight i'm fancying a spicy broth of a soup with shredded chicken, lemongrass, greens, shitake mushrooms, chilli, ginger, palm sugar, coriander etc. I'd love some dumplings in there too but I don't have the ingredients in and I cant see me being able to buy any from the train station!
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby smitch » February 27th, 2020, 2:17 pm

Asian style dumplings are sometimes available in the M&S and the Sainsburys has started stocking some random stuff now! If it isn’t too far to walk, the Spar on Princess Street near the railway bridge has a whole fridge for the Chinese students who live in halls in town too.

Or did you mean the suet ones?
smitch
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » February 27th, 2020, 3:03 pm

Thanks Smitch! Definitely Asian style required. I work directly opposite Piccadilly and will be racing to the train so wouldn't get a chance to go to Princess st unfortunately. I'll double check M&S and Sainsburys at the station though. I need to do a big Chinese supermarket shop at some point very soon.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby smitch » February 27th, 2020, 11:06 pm

smitch
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 1st, 2020, 9:46 pm

Had a rather stodgy, calorific weekend.
Friday - just two biscuits during the day then aubergine parmesan and tiramisu at a local Italian in the evening.
Saturday: lunch in Downe village - a cheese and vegetable pie with mash and gravy
cherry pie and cream mid afternoon
bread and butter for dinner
today:
cereal
'no meat roast' for lunch - i.e. just the trimmings, but, oh, there were a lot of them.
dinner: more bread and butter and then more cherry pie and cream
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 1st, 2020, 9:48 pm

We have a decomissioned (i.e. original) Sackville Street street sign in our back garden...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 3rd, 2020, 9:00 pm

Didn't really eat during the day yesterday - v bad headache. In the evening I had tagliatelli in a garlic and creme fraiche sauce with toasted pine nuts, some faux bacon stuff (new type from Waitrose not bad), peas, rosemary breadcrumbs and parmesan
today a banana, pret pea and mint soup got lunch, a biscuit, some cashew nuts, and for dinner, some seitan in a barbecue sauce with... petit pois! ( I need to get some more veg in. I don't want to get tired of lovely peas.)
Need to go shopping I think, and cook a recipe or two from a book.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » March 5th, 2020, 9:26 pm

OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop