[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - What are you eating today? (v4)

What are you eating today? (v4)

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: What are you eating today? (v4)

Postby Herbidacious » March 6th, 2020, 9:07 am

Ah not the London Sackville st. then :oops:

Wednesday I had porridge for lunch, an energy bar and a banana, then cauliflower cheese for dinner.

Didn't eat much yesterday. At home observing poorly cat. I had a slice of bread and butter late morning, then a tin of Sainsburys TTD asparagus soup (won't bother again ;) ) for lunch, a couple of salted caramel filled madeleines, mid afternoon, then a rather retro/Cafe Rouge style dinner of breaded camembert with raspberry coulis.

I need to try to improve my diet. Basil's illness has made me too anxious to eat properly.
“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." Albert Camus
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 6th, 2020, 11:52 am

Once again I have promised myself I will try to post more regularly on here ... not sure why I don't :?

Yesterday breakfast was coffee; lunch was herring milts with a caper dressing on sourdough toast at The Harbour Inn in Southwold. Supper was a jolly good cheddar cheese and onion sourdough sandwich followed by delicious pastels de nata from the Two Magpies bakery.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » March 6th, 2020, 8:45 pm

Hope your cat is ok Herbi x

Your lunch sounds good Suffolk!

We had a kids party in a soft play hell this evening (who would do that on a Friday night?! :twisted:) I drew the short straw and took Lilia while OH stayed home with Gabriella. So he cooked dinner which ended up being seared duck breast in a port and plum sauce with potatoes, savoy cabbage and glazed carrots. With red wine which I needed :D
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby Gruney » March 7th, 2020, 8:17 am

Today, I will make Chicken Chasseur in the slow cooker, to come home to after watching the rugby in my local. Tomorrow will be a belated St David's day affair - daughter couldn't come over last week - smoked mackerel, new potatoes, and Jamie Oliver's cheesey leeks. If you like leeks, and haven't tried them - you could do a lot worse than give them a go. https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/che ... CH77CMQ.99
Gruney
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 7th, 2020, 8:35 am

Yesterday’s lunch was scrambled eggs on sourdough toast.

Supper was very good butcher-made kofta kebabs, homemade coleslaw and toasted sourdough rubbed with garlic and drizzled with EVOO.

We’re getting the most out of the very good (but expensive) sourdough loaf we bought at Southwold the other day. ;)
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 7th, 2020, 9:27 am

Gruney, that leek recipe sounds delicious! I would want an awful lot of bread, potato or pasta to cut the richness though!

What lovely meals you're all having. I feel as though I've been eating strange combinations from the fridge, freezer and store cupboard for weeks due to various upheavals. I am dreaming of going out for a nice lunch somewhere! Maybe soon.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Gruney » March 7th, 2020, 10:11 am

Gruney
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 7th, 2020, 10:12 am

I think Gruney’s leek dish might be on the menu next week ... :drool:
suffolk
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 8th, 2020, 12:50 pm

Yesterday's breakfast was coffee, lunch was an asparagus cupasoup, and supper was shallow-fried butchedr-made chicken kievs, and very good they were too, lots of herby butter inside ... and huge! I made some spicy potato wedges to go with them, and we still have some of the cole slaw left ... :lol:
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 8th, 2020, 7:04 pm

Mmm yes the leek dish does look good. I have some leeks in the fridge and Mr Herbidacious is fond of them.

I have made a Thai green curry with marinated tofu, mushrooms and cashew nuts for tonight. Lunch was a faux bacon and salad cream (!) sandwich then some cherry 'bakewell pudding' dessert. Not really Bakewell pudding. Charlie whatshisname Bingham?'s rethink of it.
Last edited by Herbidacious on March 10th, 2020, 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." Albert Camus
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » March 8th, 2020, 8:01 pm

We ended up having friends round for dinner last night and cooked Diana Henry’s stuffed Greek chicken with oregano, feta, tomatoes and orzo. Green salad, crusty bread and roasted peppers on the side. Cheese board and shop bought chocolate truffles for dessert.

Tonight we had Lancashire lamb hotpot with greens and pickled red cabbage.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » March 8th, 2020, 8:20 pm

Pickled red cabbage is compulsory with hotpot.
And with my mum's meat and potato pie.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » March 9th, 2020, 9:05 pm

OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » March 14th, 2020, 6:56 am

OH cooked ribeye steak with asparagus and crispy sliced potatoes on Thursday.

Last night we had two other families round for take away curry. The children had homemade pizzas and veg sticks. I had some king prawn rogan josh, some dosa, saag and rice.

Currently enjoying a warm pastry and a cup of tea in peace before everyone wakes up. I think we might pick up some bits from the village deli for lunch. I’m so worried for some of our wonderful small independent businesses like them... I feel like I want to use them as much as possible.

Dinner will be at the in laws. It’s not summer and it’s a Saturday night which means that it’ll be either chilli and rice, a baked ham with potatoes, green veg and cauliflower cheese or beef stew. All are perfectly nice so I’m not actually complaining :D
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 17th, 2020, 3:11 pm

I am making a creamy vegetable pie for dinner. The main reason was to use up some broccoli in a husband-friendly way. I have made the pastry and am roasting sweet potatoes and onion. Will add carrots too I think. Maybe peas. Bechamel sauce. Not very sophisitcated, but it's the sort of thing OH likes. Could add cheese. It needs a protein boost, although there are some cooked vegetarian sausages he could have on the side (unless he's already eaten then... altogether possible. He always seems to go nuts eating things after I have gone to bed.)
If there is any pastry left, I might make a rhubarb from the garden and tinned strawberry ( :shock: I spotted a can of ones I bought in France. French... so must be better :) ) pie, too, for tomorrow.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 17th, 2020, 7:43 pm

Not enough pastry for a fruit pie so I have made 4 tiny marmalade tarts with the runny mrmalade I made in January. Been wanting to try this for ages. I hope the pastry isn't oniony... :? (started to use onion knife to cut trimmings off.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » March 18th, 2020, 8:16 am

After a week in Madeira where we ate delicious fish every day it's back to normal for us now.

Granola with Greek yogurt
Some sort of salad sandwich
Cottage pie with cauliflower cheese.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » March 18th, 2020, 9:54 am

On Sunday we had cheeseburgers topped with chorizo and roast peppers, with salad and skinny fries.

Last night we had chicken thighs stuffed with sausage meat and diced apples, with sauteed potatoes and green veg.

Tonight we're having roasted vegetable and feta puff pastry tarts with salad.

We're being much stricter than usual about what we have each day...the thing with the shortest shelf life being eaten each day rather than whatever we actually fancy. Bearing in mind the freezer has a couple of loaves of bread in there and a couple of small cartons of milk, there's less space to freeze other stuff!
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » March 18th, 2020, 10:55 am

I think one positive to be taken from this is hopefully we'll all be a lot more concious about food waste and being imaginative with what we have . I'm roasting a shoulder of pork for dinner tonight but will be bulking it out with stuffing and YPs, to stretch the meat more for other meals and also to use less potatoes, as we don't have many spuds in the shops at the minute
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby Seatallan » March 18th, 2020, 11:04 am

Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 18th, 2020, 11:04 am

I am certainly being a bit more frugal with everything (not just food). Day three of working from home, and my personal appearance standards have taken a dive (crappy (comfy) clothes and no make up), but I am cooking more and cleaning (a tiny bit) more. I am a bit dismayed at how much OH eats though :o I make something that should last at least two meals and it's gone in one (and I am not eating half of it.) Can I gently nudge him towards going on that diet he keeps going on about? :?
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » March 18th, 2020, 3:27 pm

Scrap my previous post.
The beef in the fridge turned out to be diced not minced, so tonight we're having beef stew with horseradish dumplings.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » March 20th, 2020, 3:14 pm

And on a whim I have turned the second half of the stew into individual pies, made in a muffin tin.
There will be gravy for pouring.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 20th, 2020, 5:56 pm

We had tagliatelli with pesto courtesty of husband (! :o )on Wednesday. Finished off the pie last night. I have some cooked vegetables that need eating up tonight - the pie filling minus the bechamel and cheese. There isn't a lot but I want to eke it out to make a meal for two but not sure what to do with it. It's broccoli, carrots, roast sweet potato and onion, with a little veg sausage. We had quiche for lunch so don't want to make a fritatta. Any suggestions? I can only think to bulk it up with potato amd make a gratin. Too tired to bother making a pizza base (to make a slightly odd pizza). I supppose chunky quesadillas might work...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » March 20th, 2020, 6:40 pm

Blitz it into a chunky soup with some veg stock and serve with crusty bread. Or If you’re lucky enough to have potatoes , maybe make some wedges to hVe with it
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 20th, 2020, 7:27 pm

I don't think there's enough, alas. A fritatta would have been optimal. If we wait long enough, we will be so hungry we won't care :)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 20th, 2020, 8:06 pm

No doubt you'll have resolved it by now! If you had a tin of tomatoes and tin of beans you could make veggies in tomato sauce - maybe topped with cheesy crumb.
or blitz a tin of beans and add the chopped veg and spices/seasoning (and chopped walnuts if you have any) to make bean patties. BTW I don't mean baked beans in tomato sauce but something like red beans or chickpeas.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 20th, 2020, 11:24 pm

Thanks Em. I suppose I could have made potatoe-y cakes too. In the end, we went our separate ways vis a vis dinner, and I ate the vegetables - drizzled with smoked oil and tossed with some feta, garlic seasoning, and some freshly ground smoked paprikam=, baked for 20 mins. There was also a dollop of creme fraiche in there, which did nothing for the result. It was fine. But I wouldn't have served it to anyone else. He had tined chickpea dahl with instant noodles :o

I have got a box of home grown roast tomato sauce out of the freezer for tomorrow. If it's a really good one, will make it the star of the meal somehow. Oherwise, may make a chilli wth it. (Dare I risk soya chunks? Not used them for years.) I have some peppers. Suppose I could make lasagne or some such - not done this for a long time either. We have quite a bit of milk, all of which expires in the next ten days so can afford to make more bechamel.
I am trying to make each thing I make last for two meals.
I have not cooked so much since the '90s!

Need to do a food audit and make sure nothing goes to waste. The fridge is crammed as if it were Christmas, and there's a risk things will get pushed to the back and forgotten. It is partly so full, though, because there are too many jars of things, which I never use, so a sauce cull/use up too is needed I think.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Rocky » March 24th, 2020, 12:54 pm

Hello all - long time since I last updated but I have occasionally had the time to read. We have no confirmed cases here yet but every island around us does so it is only a matter of time. For now restaurants are still open - until 8 in the evening. So we are trying to go out as much as possible to support them before the inevitable close.

So last night I had Pad thai with mahi mahi. It was the first thing I had eaten all day as work is so manic :shock:

I have some leftovers for lunch. Dinner is going to omlette I think.

Hope everyone is in good spirits.
Rocky
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 24th, 2020, 1:54 pm

I was only thinking of you the other day Rocky! So glad all is well so far, I hope they can put in extra measures to keep it that way :hug:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » March 24th, 2020, 5:03 pm

Grapefruit and orange segments with granola
Giant cous cous with salad veg & pecorino stirred through (found the couscous at the back of the cupboard)
Butternut and chickpea curry with rice and chapatis, and maybe a beer...
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Seatallan » March 24th, 2020, 5:13 pm

One thing is for sure Rocky- it won't be the first time you've been through a seismic event will it? We can learn from your example. Hope the island isn't hit too hard by this particular event. Stay safe... :hug:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Rocky » March 24th, 2020, 6:05 pm

Thanks EM and Seatallan. I feel like I'm becoming a bit of an expert on crises!
Rocky
Registered

Previous

Return to The Coffee Shop