Help on Diabetes please

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Help on Diabetes please

Postby tinyTrishkins » January 20th, 2016, 2:55 pm

Had to trawl back to find this thread :D

Update on OH's diabetes: OH has now changed surgeries and his new one ( my one ) are taking it far more seriously than his old practice. He has had an MOT and also been to see the diabetic nurse...they have a diabetic clinic on site.

For the first time OH is actually listening to them and taking action. He has been off the booze, is cutting down his carbs, the nurse said he could do with loosing 2 stone, his BMI is 32 and should be about 25...all in all he said the nurse said it wouldn't take much to get it under control. His bp is ok, and his liver function is a bit high. I think because this surgery are being positive and not vague like the last place he is being more receptive...about time too! :D
tT Yeah that's me!

tinyTrishkins
Registered

Postby spotteddick » January 20th, 2016, 3:56 pm

:tu: :tu: There is nobody that can do it for you, it's up to yourself (I mean his self of course).
Cheers

Dick

Just because you're wandering doesn't mean you're lost!!

http://spotteddick-itsallinthegame.blogspot.com/
spotteddick
Registered

Postby Annie » January 20th, 2016, 4:17 pm

I've been diabetic for decades.
In the last year my HBa1c (3monthly check) has been pretty bad. Yet I have a good diet, but as the nurse said the pancreas gets tired and deterorates.

I have increased my exercise (by fluke) and interduced more slow release carbs (such as oats my sugar levels are back to normal for now.

If he can control his levels through diet and exercise then brilliant however the most likely is they'll put him on some form of medication pretty quickly if his levels don't improve quickly.
Cutting down on alcohol is a massively important move. There has also been some reportinv that using artificial sweetners can aid complicatons however natural 0 calorie sweetners likee stevia are supposed to be better. The artificial sweetner is something relatively new and I dont think it is 100% proven as yet.
I eat fruit and veg, no fried foods until I got an actifry and use less oil than they suggest often up to half the amount. I also now eat a pescatarian diet which helps but meat should be as lean as possible.
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 22nd, 2016, 2:40 pm

Happy to hear some progress been made tT hope it continues

Well, Annie, hope the improvement continues
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby northleedsbhoy » January 22nd, 2016, 4:39 pm

Blood and pee test handed in today. MOT next week, think I might fail as too soon after Xmas when I ate a lot and exercised less :(

Cheers
NLB :tu:
northleedsbhoy
Registered

Postby KC2 » May 9th, 2019, 5:24 pm

Hi all, I'm just snagging this thread so I can refer to all the useful info in it. What a great community we have - thank you! :D Nice to see contributions from longstanding Wildies like IaninFrance too :D
OH has just been told he's prediabetic and on the recommendation of one of my friends we've just ordered Michael Mosley's 8-week blood sugar diet book.
KC2
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 9th, 2019, 6:47 pm

I have a friend who found the book quite life-changing. A struggle at first but the results great if you stick to it. Your OH is lucky to have your support. I hope it goes well.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby KC2 » May 9th, 2019, 7:05 pm

earthmaiden wrote:I have a friend who found the book quite life-changing. A struggle at first but the results great if you stick to it. Your OH is lucky to have your support. I hope it goes well.

Thanks EM :hug:
KC2
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » May 9th, 2019, 11:16 pm

I found this website supportive and helpful when I joined this 'club' just over a year ago https://thebloodsugardiet.com/forums/
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby KC2 » May 10th, 2019, 9:52 am

Zosherooney wrote:I found this website supportive and helpful when I joined this 'club' just over a year ago https://thebloodsugardiet.com/forums/

Thanks Zosh!
KC2
Registered

Previous

Return to The Coffee Shop