Another Scam

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Another Scam

Postby suffolk » November 21st, 2017, 7:06 am

Calls from hospitals, GP practices, social work offices etc are usually 'number withheld'. You can miss important calls about appointments etc if you don't answer number withheld calls.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby aero280 » November 21st, 2017, 11:43 am

I rarely answer calls where the number is not displayed. I have missed calls from doctors, I don't see that as my problem. If its urgent the call goes to voicemail, they can leave a message and I can check it there. If they don't leave a message, then I assume its a scam call.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby StokeySue » November 21st, 2017, 12:22 pm

To be honest, I usually find it easier just to answer the flippin' thing than to fret about it! Then we all know where we stand and not wasting time return calls that usually go to another staff member who doesn't know about me
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 21st, 2017, 12:58 pm

StokeySue wrote:To be honest, I usually find it easier just to answer the flippin' thing than to fret about it! Then we all know where we stand and not wasting time return calls that usually go to another staff member who doesn't know about me

I agree Sue. If it's someone I don't want to talk to I just say "No thank you" and put the phone down (or have a bit of fun with them if I feel so inclined ;) )

And having been on the other end, trying to contact parents about something important ... sometimes something potentially life-changing ... and finding they didn't answer because the number didn't display on their phone, wasted so much of my time ... when I had a bigger caseload than I was supposed to have, procedures were taking longer than they should and other people were missing out on help because I was trying to contact people who did not answer their phones ........... :rolleyes:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » November 21st, 2017, 1:23 pm

for mac users
- i have just had a very convincing tab open itself in the tab bar saying it's from apple support and telling me i have three virus infections, picked up from a page i've just viewed. it has a two minute down-count timer on it and a button to click for ridding yourself of the problem. being of a sceptical nature i googled to see if it was a scam - it is.
if i had been slightly less of a sceptic it would have easily fooled me.
scullion
Registered

Postby Gruney » November 21st, 2017, 2:09 pm

Thanks a lot for that, Scullion.
Gruney
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 21st, 2017, 2:19 pm

I would go along with that to a certain extent and we do answer witheld calls if we are expecting a call. France is way behind with anything like a telephone preference scheme. Until we went exdirectory we got endless calls, usually at lunch time trying to sell us all manner of things from new kitchens to health insurance. .

We now have something called blocktel which works better but has taken a full year to stop calls from some places.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » November 21st, 2017, 4:05 pm

Calls from Addenbrooke's are 'unavailable', some of our friends 'withheld', even though the number is in the phone's address book. Consequently we can't ignore them and have to answer a lot of sales calls. However, we do ignore any 'international' calls. These have invariably been telesales, circumventing the telephone preference service. Anyone overseas who wants to speak to us will have to email first... :D
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 21st, 2017, 4:30 pm

I guess I could start ignoring International calls, when I was working it was usually someone from another office trying to contact me, but I can't think of anyone who'd call me now
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 21st, 2017, 4:51 pm

It might be that rich Nigerian prince you're distantly related to ....... ;)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » November 21st, 2017, 6:21 pm

Having had calls from Dad's financial guy, his calls come up on our phone as 'out of area' so we know it's him.

The calls I am avoiding are from a collection agency who are wrongly chasing me for an invalid debt. Initially, years ago I tried to explain but the collection agency does not take any notice of explanations. The 'debt' was then sold to another agency, I have received countless demands and have not responded. I then got calls and as I did not recognise the number - ignored it. Having googled it, I know it's them. I was then informed that everything was being reverted back to the original Govt. department. Everything has gone quiet.... again....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 21st, 2017, 6:41 pm

Zosh - I am having the same problem with someone chasing me for an unknown debt. I might have mentioned it on here, sorry if I have, but it has been quite distressing. They (whoever they are) have gone quiet for the last couple of weeks, but here I am wondering when they will call me again. It's enough to get your phone number changed to get shot of them.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » November 21st, 2017, 6:47 pm

Tezza, there is quite a lot of info on the internet. If you are sure that you don't owe them then my suggestion is do not have any contact at all. You cannot reason with these individuals.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 21st, 2017, 7:56 pm

Thanks Zosh. I went through a long phase of not answering unknown calls when I was feeling fragile, then I grew some, got brave, and now answer all calls. With these particular people, I think they are surprised I answer with such vigour and they hang up on me and then probably move on to their next victim. And I walk off unshaken waiting for the next 'beep' to call me, hiding behind their sad lives and lies.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby aero280 » November 22nd, 2017, 11:06 pm

There's an organisation called "Action Fraud UK" that collects info on fraud. They have a Twitter account called @actionfrauduk.

There is another organisation with a Twitter account called @action_fraud_uk that is trying to mimic them and responding to enquires with requests information that they use to get access to your personal details.
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Meganthemog » November 23rd, 2017, 9:43 am

aero280 wrote:There's an organisation called "Action Fraud UK" that collects info on fraud. They have a Twitter account called @actionfrauduk.

There is another organisation with a Twitter account called @action_fraud_uk that is trying to mimic them and responding to enquires with requests information that they use to get access to your personal details.

From my experience 'Action Fraud UK' is a totally pointless organisation set up to relieve the police of following up on criminal activity. We reported a fraud to the police and were told to contact AF which we did. They didn't respond for weeks and after chasing them for several months we gave up. The police were sympathetic and said that they had heard that they were not fulfilling their obligations. The police eventually took up our case and the criminal was prosecuted.
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 5th, 2017, 8:03 am

After visiting Ebay online (via Safari), a strange thing happened, new screen opened stating that our (apple) computer has 3 viruses and we needed to visit the link before the counter timed out..... Audio was on and a very loud beeping noise was being emitted. We closed down the computer immediately. This has now happened 3 times and on the last time I let the timer finish completely...... This was 2 days ago........ Nothing (figgies crossed) since.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby aero280 » December 5th, 2017, 8:49 am

Not seen that scam yet.

There was one reported recently which sounds dangerous. It only works if you follow a link to what appears to be your bank’s website, rather than typing in the link or using an existing bookmark. What appears to be your bank’s website is a front, but the scammers let you through that and actually connect to your bank. What you don’t realise is that they are reading all your security data and passwords as you connect. Then later they use this to transfer money out of you account.
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Herbidacious » December 5th, 2017, 9:40 am

Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » December 5th, 2017, 9:41 am

Did you run a (your own) virus scan, Zosh? (Just in case.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » December 5th, 2017, 10:10 am

That sounds like the one I mentioned on the twenty first of November. I didn't notice a beeping because I keep the sound off unless I need it. I'd had a countdown timer that gave me enough time to check on snopes to see if it was a scam and just turned the macbook off. I ran a complete scan which showed nothing untoward. It was quite convincing though.
scullion
Registered

Postby miss mouse » December 5th, 2017, 10:25 am

Zosherooney wrote:After visiting Ebay online (via Safari), a strange thing happened, new screen opened stating that our (apple) computer has 3 viruses and we needed to visit the link before the counter timed out.....

This happened to me again this morning (second time). Hmm. I wonder whether it will become more cunning.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 6th, 2017, 7:47 am

Herb, we didn't as we don't have one on our Apple macbook pro.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 6th, 2017, 8:10 am

Zosherooney wrote:Herb, we didn't as we don't have one on our Apple macbook pro.

Sorry Zosh but why do you connect a computer without antivirus to the internet? You might as well leave your front door open all night

All devices should have antivirus, and be backed up so if necessary the hard drive can be stripped out
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby dennispc » December 6th, 2017, 8:14 am

I’ve had macs for over twenty years without antivirus software though I think Mac advice is changing. I’ll check.
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby miss mouse » December 6th, 2017, 8:20 am

dennispc wrote:I’ve had macs for over twenty years without antivirus software

Me too bar once when it messed up the system and was a real pain to remove.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 6th, 2017, 8:35 am

I worked with databases on internet enabled computers for 25 years
Three rules were drummed into us
1. Antivirus software is essential (provided of course), don't override it. I still got Melissa attached to a meeting request but it couldn't do too much damage
2. Back up, back up, and back up
3. If you don't know what it is, don't open or download it

While more viruses are aimed at Windows than Mac it wouldn't occur to me to ignore those rules on any operating system
It seems that current advice is to get antivirus software

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/security/do-macs-get-viruses-3418367/
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby dennispc » December 6th, 2017, 8:55 am

Which gives the following advice:

Do Macs need antivirus: the verdict

I'd say that if you are using your Mac at home, mostly for non-business purposes, you can close this article and continue to operate without security software. Yes, it is a risk. But using the internet is a risk, and in my considered view running a Mac without AV is a worthwhile calculated risk.

But I will check. :D
dennispc
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 6th, 2017, 9:28 am

Obviously, I'm no expert on Macs :D

But after so many years of having it drummed into me that internet needs av, (nit that Windows needs av) I'd have panic attacks using anything without it

And don't forget to back up, for some rwason people dont back up their
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby dennispc » December 6th, 2017, 12:55 pm

StokeySue wrote:Obviously, I'm no expert on Macs :D

Neither am I Sue. :lol: Which is why I belong to a Forum for macs, just like this one. Somewhere, I've got an external hard drive, 3Tr I think, but no longer use as everything's in the Cloud. If that fails, there'll be a lot more people in trouble than me.

On a holiday made friends with a guy whose company insisted all its employees change their passwords monthly. Ten years of retirement and he still changed his passwords every month. I do understand. :tu:
dennispc
Registered

Postby dennispc » December 6th, 2017, 2:52 pm

For those of you who've had the popup request for ID, perhaps this might help.

The phishing method ... describe(d) is not new, and Apple vets apps that are accepted to the App Store, but it's worth highlighting for iOS users who may not be aware that such a phishing attempt is possible. 

..., users can protect themselves by being wary of these popup dialogues. If one pops up, press the Home button to close the app. If the popup goes away, it's tied to the app and is a phishing attack. If it remains, it's a system request from Apple. 

… (author) recommends users dismiss popups and enter their credentials directly within the Settings app. 

Here's the full article

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/10/10/ap ... k-concept/

Apple has an incentive schemes for clever geeky types who report weaknesses in their operating system (as happened quite recently) biggest pay out has been $250,000, even the lowest payout can be $25,000.
dennispc
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 6th, 2017, 2:54 pm

Sue, with respect, one of the reasons we went down the Apple route was that they seldom ever get a virus. After our experience with a Dell and having antivirus we still ended up with a complete rebuild being necessary. :td: To date we (fingers crossed) have not had a problem. Just rubbish e-mails and this last Safari page appearing. No virus as yet just scam stuff....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby aero280 » December 6th, 2017, 3:53 pm

I do run some free antivirus trials on my Mac from time to time. Nothing has ever been found. Well, apart from the very early days in the 1980s when someone tried to write a virus for the Mac. It appeared on some antivirus checks as a virus and caused a brief panic in the Mac world for a while. The "virus" didn't do anything apart from triggering the warnings. Antivirus program's have been selling on the back of this ever since.

The only way to have problems on an Apple computer at the moment is to be careless. No program will self install without asking you if you knew it was the right one. It's due to the basic Apple system which uses resources and data in different "forks", which somehow causes problems for virus writers at the moment.

But it doesn't stop worms and other things like keystroke recorders, but they only work if you are negligent and tick a "yes" box without thinking or checking.
aero280
Site Admin

Postby StokeySue » December 6th, 2017, 5:04 pm

I had never heard the Macs don't use antiviruus, as I used Windows for work and stuck with it for all other uses as I have triedu using Macs a few time and just found it confusing to change operating systems.

It has just been drilled into me, nothing goes online without firewall and antivirus. Period, nothing.

Interesting that's not really true... and I have had a few instances where friends lost stuff from home computers because "all that antivirus and backing up rubbish is only for work" (really) so I automatically assume the worst these days :oops: :oops:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » December 6th, 2017, 5:05 pm

i use avast antivirus (free) on my MacBook pro. although apple is less prone to attack i would rather not chance it.
it gives warnings when a site is problematic and if there's a malware attempt etc.
i have friends who have worked with/for apple who use antivirus packages.
belt and braces are a good idea if you ask me.
scullion
Registered

Postby aero280 » December 6th, 2017, 5:15 pm

I don't really disagree, but when I did get an anti-virus package, I found it spent so much time checking things that the computer became very slow when doing things on the internet.
aero280
Site Admin

Postby scullion » December 6th, 2017, 5:23 pm

i haven't found that at all. the thing that i found slowed the MacBook down was upgrading from mavericks to sierra. it's marginally better on high sierra but nowhere as quick as mavericks was, unfortunately.
scullion
Registered

Postby aero280 » December 6th, 2017, 5:32 pm

It's probably fine these days as computers are so much quicker.
aero280
Site Admin

Postby scullion » December 6th, 2017, 5:57 pm

i did a lot of reading before upgrading and found that lots of people were complaining about the slowness of sierra. i didn't bother going through yosemite as it had lots of bad reviews and i didn't get round to el capitan until the repairers (staingate plus other problem) loaded it on in july/august. i thought i might as well go for the most up to date operating system then.
i'm not saying it's slow - it's far, far quicker than my partner's tough book with windows 7 (possibly because it's solid state) just slower than mavericks.
scullion
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 7th, 2017, 7:33 am

Apple are currently suggesting an upgrade to High Sierra, we are reading that some have had problems after installing so we will wait until the situation gets sorted and then install.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby dennispc » December 7th, 2017, 9:06 am

I did mine last week Zosherooney - wise to wait as the latest version includes overcoming a glitch in the previous version. Mac updates come too frequently for me these days, though it does mean our security is always up to date.

Over on mac4mac, someone's posted this: "This morning, (put) 10.13.2 and an iTunes combined update onto my Macs. It took a while to do each."
dennispc
Registered

Postby scullion » December 7th, 2017, 11:48 am

we have just had a phone call (recorded message) supposedly from hmrc saying that they are preparing a case against us and to press 1 to contact (there may have been a phone number but my partner didn't mention that).
an online check suggests they're targeting older people - bloody cheek - how do they know how old we are‽ - older than what‽

it seems like a progression from the hmrc email scams.

ps. one of the really good things about high sierra is the fact that it blocks the sound with annoying, automatically playing adverts and clips on websites you visit.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 7th, 2017, 12:11 pm

No wonder there appears to be an epidemic of High Blood Pressure :rolleyes:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby miss mouse » December 7th, 2017, 12:19 pm

Thanks for the warning Scullion. It is always useful to hear about the latest scam.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby dennispc » December 9th, 2017, 4:00 pm

dennispc
Registered

Postby miss mouse » December 9th, 2017, 10:11 pm

That is terrible. Those poor students. Nobody seems to be doing much to prevent the things or accept responsibility.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 9th, 2017, 11:57 pm

On the security side, banks seem to have slipped behind the fraudsters, it's very bad for their business. Shame on them.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby miss mouse » December 10th, 2017, 6:25 am

The banks seem to be very cavalier about on line security. How are they getting away with it for so long?
miss mouse
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 10th, 2017, 9:17 am

I had to remove the NatWest Rapport software as it was incompatible with the Windows browser. End user acceptance testing? Apparently not. And they didn't tell us there was a problem, or when they corrected it (if they did)
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 14th, 2017, 10:19 am

Rapport slowed my laptop down considerably :evil: .

I've had yet another very convincing-looking email today from 'Amazon' telling me I need to re-log all my details with them. I wouldn't dream of doing so but looked for a give-away. This was it :rolleyes: : Consumer advisory: Amazon Pte Ltd, the Holder of the Amazon™ Payment service stored value facility, does not require the approval of the Monetary Authority of singapore. Consumers (users) are advised to read the terms and conditions carefully. :lol: :lol:
earthmaiden
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop