Another Scam

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Another Scam

Postby miss mouse » December 14th, 2017, 10:24 am

What a strange thing to put in the otherwise convincing e mail.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 14th, 2017, 11:32 am

I keep getting emails from 'apple' telling me that my account has been locked and I need to enter my details in order to re-activate it ... I don't have an apple account ... never have :rolleyes:
I just report it as 'phishing'. :x
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » December 14th, 2017, 1:00 pm

i have those and do the same as you, even though i do have an apple account.
i also report all of the microsoft, amazon, google, eBay and PayPal ones, too - the latter three i don't have accounts with, the first two i check the source code and see where they've really come from just to be sure. the amazon ones are usually for things i haven't bought and wouldn't dream of buying.
scullion
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 14th, 2017, 1:19 pm

We keep getting emails from what pretends to be the French revenue saying we have a tax rebate and please can they have our bank details so it can be forwarded to our account. Even I can spot the spelling and grammar mistakes :lol: :lol:
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby scullion » December 14th, 2017, 1:32 pm

it's amazing how many connotations of hmrc email addresses can be made up. i've had a fair few of those and they can never agree on the amount of rebate i'm owed (although surprisingly - and unfortunately - it's always more than in reality).
you're right - anyone would think the spellchecker hadn't been invented by the amount of mistakes that are made.
scullion
Registered

Postby dennispc » December 14th, 2017, 5:28 pm

Had a few 'number withheld' calls recently - usually ignored, didn't today - fortunately. Our surgery wanting me to make an appointment end of January for GP to check results of medication. Which is why generally speaking we feel we have to answer such questions.
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby aero280 » December 14th, 2017, 7:39 pm

scullion wrote:anyone would think the spellchecker hadn't been invented by the amount of mistakes that are made.

I thought this too, but I have been informed that it is deliberate. Intelligent people notice the spelling and grammar mistakes and see a scam. The scammers are not looking for the intelligent...
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby miss mouse » December 14th, 2017, 8:39 pm

aero280 wrote:I thought this too, but I have been informed that it is deliberate. Intelligent people notice the spelling and grammar mistakes and see a scam. The scammers are not looking for the intelligent...

Really? or an urban myth?
miss mouse
Registered

Postby aero280 » December 14th, 2017, 10:02 pm

I was told this by a fraud investigator. It's not the initial contact but the follow up that matters to the scammers. If it's written in good English they may catch a broad spectrum of people, but most will realise that it's a scam when the follow up comes through and security details are asked for which, to them is a timewaster. They try to screen out those, as most people will just dump the first e-mail in trash. They are looking at the ones who give it a try.

We are talking very, very small numbers as far as success goes, but a tiny percentage of success is good if you send out millions of emails with little effort.
aero280
Site Admin

Postby miss mouse » December 14th, 2017, 10:21 pm

Hmm. I will need to think about this for a while. I do not doubt your info.

Meanwhile I am visiting The Country Cousins and some of the neighbours are still being scammed by 'I'm from the council, I have some spare tarmac....etc'.
Astonishing.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby aero280 » December 15th, 2017, 3:15 pm

Miss Mouse, you have me doubting myself... :o

I've found a couple of links to support my case, the second one offers a more open explanation, but neither are necessarily the real thing. Maybe some are and some aren't deliberately misspelled.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/m ... sible.html

https://www.quora.com/Why-are-email-sca ... sh?share=1

I can see that there is a distinction between the "Nigerian" scams which need follow up and interaction where the poorly educated/elderly/gullible need to be persuaded to part with money, and the phishing scams which are just trying to pinch your login and payment details and need to convince anybody.
aero280
Site Admin

Postby miss mouse » December 15th, 2017, 10:30 pm

Very interesting. Thanks for the link.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » December 18th, 2017, 12:59 pm

I received an email from the London Mint offering me a free Ypres commemorative coin. I simply have to pay £2.50 for the postage.
Being the sceptic that I am I googled and found this:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/sho ... ?t=2018327

Apparently the coin is sent out along with another one and an invoice for £35 and getting them to stop sending them is a nightmare.

I shan't be accepting their generous offer :lol:
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby Amber » December 18th, 2017, 10:47 pm

We’ve just had an email confirming our Amazon Prime membership. :o
Fortunately about an ‘expired’ (unused) account.
It has been forwarded to Amazon.
Amber
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » December 19th, 2017, 4:06 pm

I have received a letter from someone purporting to be a pension advisory service.
The letter was addressed to me, the salutation "Dear Sir or Madam"
The address was misspelled.

They are trying to trace me on behalf of "one of my pension providers".
Can I please contact them to confirm, and include my NI number or DOB.

Not bl%%dy likely!
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby miss mouse » January 4th, 2018, 1:43 am

This has gone quiet for a while but they are at it again. Very tiresome.

Allegedly BT wanting to confirm details, they had the name and address and wanted to confirm credit card details...er no, that isn't how we pay or info we give to unintelligible strangers. The accent was a bit tricky to understand as well. The call came from

001 613 532 462 1448

which seems to be an Ottawa number. Goodness, BT billing is located in Ottawa, imagine that. The BT reporting site is rubbish, they could not care less it seems. Gettagrip BT, even this computer illiterate knows that you could do more. And it falls all over the place from a Macbook.

Be aware everyone.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby dennispc » January 4th, 2018, 9:54 am

Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 4th, 2018, 9:56 am

"They" are at it here too. Since last week
Swiss friends who have never owned a computer in their lives had a phone call to tell them their computer had been hacked (they didn't even know what that meant) and they must move their bank account immediately. She kept the caller on the phone by asking all sorts of questions to waste tiem and then told him she was sorry she still hadn't a clue what he was talking about, she wouldn't recognise a computer if one fell from the sky and, as she was Swiss she would never trust anyone who rang her in France, especially as it was not either a Swiss or French number

We had an email saying we were due a refund from our health insurance, asking to supply bank details of course. It wasn't even the right insurance company pretending.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » January 4th, 2018, 10:59 am

Shocking!
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby aero280 » January 4th, 2018, 3:45 pm

Make sure that you protection is up to date. Especially computers with Intel processors.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... urity-flaw
aero280
Site Admin

Postby earthmaiden » January 4th, 2018, 5:32 pm

dennispc wrote:Interesting article.

That it can be made into such a huge and worthwhile industry is quite an eyeopener.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby miss mouse » January 4th, 2018, 7:58 pm

dennispc wrote:Interesting article.

Oh dear. Sad stuff and chilling stuff.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby miss mouse » January 4th, 2018, 8:02 pm

Meganthemog wrote:I received an email from the London Mint offering me a free Ypres commemorative coin.

Why, were you there? Goodness, you don't look a day over erm 120 YO. What is your secret of eternal youth?
miss mouse
Registered

Postby icelesley » January 12th, 2018, 1:06 pm

2018 and we are off again. Automated telephone message " we are calling from your internet supplier, we need to disconnect your router and service as your IP address has been compromised in several countries, we will provide a new IP address and hub free of charge please press 1 to connect to an engineer" Not likely, there was no mention of who my internet provider is. We had several of these calls now, most annoying. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 18th, 2018, 2:24 pm

Not quite a scam as they fdo make it clear you will have to pay - but only after you have given them an email address

I'm having issues using BT / Yahoo mail on my Kindle Fire HD
So I Googled for the issue and got to what I though was the BT service page, which offered me the chance for online chat with an expert
On closer examination the page was from an outfit called Just Answers, and they wanted to be paid £26 to answer any question.

Might have been more obvious ot someone with better vision but it is definitely one to watch out for
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 18th, 2018, 3:27 pm

I applied for a visa for Australia recently and inadvertently went to one of those pages where you are charged by a third party to do what you can do perfectly well yourself on the proper Australian Immigration website (I think the same exists for UK visas and passports) . The site looked almost identical. Alarm bells rang when they asked for a fee because I knew there shouldn't be one.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 18th, 2018, 3:46 pm

You have to be very careful with visas

I have used Visa services for visas where the visa has to be physically placed in your passport by the London embassy, and they won't accept postal applications, someone has to sit while it is done - I think they use cycle couriers and don't charge a ridiculous amount

But they are not trying to scam you like the online sites

The company I used to use was Travcour
http://www.travcour.com/
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 18th, 2018, 3:49 pm

Useful to know for those kind of visas Sue.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 20th, 2018, 12:50 pm

I've just recived an email telling me that I have a 'big susprise' from Amazon .... yeah, right :lol: :lol:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby miss mouse » January 20th, 2018, 7:16 pm

I got one about my PayPal account being about to expire, 'click here to update your card details'. Er what PayPal account? Is it time I went to the memory clinic?
miss mouse
Registered

Postby aero280 » January 20th, 2018, 7:45 pm

Grandson told me today that he had a call from "his bank" alerting him to a "possible fraud" and that his account had been locked. He was asked to confirm his login details so that the account could be unfrozen... :rolleyes:

"My bank? Which of my banks are you calling from?"

"Your bank, Sir. The one with your bank account".

"Which bank is that?"

"Sir, surely you know the name of your bank".

"I know the name of my bank, but do you?"

"Of course we know the name of your bank. We are calling you from your bank, but we need you to confirm the name for security purposes"

It went no further...
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Gruney » January 20th, 2018, 9:40 pm

Good lad.
Gruney
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » January 20th, 2018, 10:01 pm

I had a call a few days ago where the caller announced themself as being from the NHS. Knowing that I had an appointment at the hospital coming up I assumed it was to discuss this. He asked me for my DOB. I didn't know him from Adam so refused to give him that information. He wouldn't carry on with the conversation. So I said cheerio bye ta-ta, off he went, me none the wiser as to why he had called. It couldn't have been that important as my appointment went ahead no worries.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 20th, 2018, 11:19 pm

I think it's wise to be wary of people claiming generically to be from the NHS or as in aero's example from your bank
People who are genuine actually want to make it easy to pin down what they needto discuss, so they say "I'm calling from the neurolgy clinic at St John's hospital about your tests" ir "I'm calling from Barclays about your savings account"
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby miss mouse » January 20th, 2018, 11:36 pm

StokeySue wrote:I think it's wise to be wary of people claiming generically to be from the NHS or as in aero's example from your bank

IME the NHS is very secretive although they seem to be perfectly happy to sell our hospital notes to Google. A 'number withheld' wanted to speak to a household member who was out, 'Can I take a message?'. A very furtive refusal to leave a message followed. It was a change of a perfectly innocuous skin clinic appointment it eventually transpired. All very confusing.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Suelle » January 21st, 2018, 9:09 am

miss mouse wrote:
StokeySue wrote:I think it's wise to be wary of people claiming generically to be from the NHS or as in aero's example from your bank

IME the NHS is very secretive although they seem to be perfectly happy to sell our hospital notes to Google. A 'number withheld' wanted to speak to a household member who was out, 'Can I take a message?'. A very furtive refusal to leave a message followed. It was a change of a perfectly innocuous skin clinic appointment it eventually transpired. All very confusing.

It's not confusing really - with the NHS it's a confidentiality issue. The person in question may not have told other household members that they were receiving treatment. Not all households are populated with people related to each other (or people with no confidentiality issues), and not all appointments are as innocuous as a skin clinic.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Luca » January 23rd, 2018, 6:47 pm

I just received a business call from somebody purporting to be from British Gas and Electricity Company...... Regarding our contract......shortly to expire apparently. Given that the company line he called me on is actually based abroad I was somewhat surprised. Yes, he assured me..... we supply electricity and gas to that country. :lol:
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby Gruney » January 26th, 2018, 11:30 am

Just had one from , purportedly from BT. His English was heavily accented. He said he needed some personal details, starting with my address. My address is number X, ,,,,,,,,,,,Drive. He asked - "do you live at no X ,,,,,,,,,,,,Drivvie?" :lol: He didn't carry me with him any further.
Gruney
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 26th, 2018, 11:49 am

Not a scam but I had one of those 'survey' people ring me yesterday. I usually just say no, but thought, well it's her job. I'll do it for once. I can spare ten minutes of my time and I won't be giving out any details she doesn't already have - name and phone number. I said 'No' every time she asked if she could pass on my number to someone contact me about xyz. The phone calls have already started... so much for trying to be kind.

re BT last time I rang them, it was not an English call centre.

No such thing as the British Gas and Electricity Company, but your call, Luca, does make me wonder why UK companies don't supply energy abroad when we have French EDF and German E.On. I suppose I should ask my husband ;) (who trades energy.)
Last edited by Herbidacious on January 26th, 2018, 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Gruney » January 26th, 2018, 11:54 am

Herbidacious wrote:The phone calls have already started... so much for trying to be kind.

I've done that too - I just say "no thank you" and put the phone down now.
Gruney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 26th, 2018, 12:00 pm

Some companies that have 24 hour or at least more than 8 hour customer service seem to use UK call centres during the normal working day and Asian ones at other times. Best to call 9:30 to 3:30 Monday to Friday if you can
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 26th, 2018, 2:56 pm

Gruney that will be me from now on (and usually has been in the past.) 4 calls so far.

It is not a good thing in general scheme of things when trying to do something nice is effectively punished.

A nap may not be possible after work.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 1st, 2018, 10:01 am

An 0118 number this morning. I picked up to a woman's voice enquiring about a recent accident I'd had in my car where someone drove into me where it wasn't my fault. As I currently have no car I took my time to answer. Asked her to repeat herself, then she asked me when the accident happened and wanted more details about it, so I said well you called me so you must know so you tell me. It went quiet for a moment until she apologised and told me she would remove me from her list.

I am now hoping that whoever they are ring back because I am kicking myself for missing a string them along comedy opportunity.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 1st, 2018, 11:59 am

A warning from my work/office:

There is a scam email going around from Giftpoint. The invoice is a link to a dangerous file in a zip. Its not a real threat to us but don’t open it at home
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 1st, 2018, 2:07 pm

My Dad got an email from Giftpoint yesterday. He didn't open it as he didn't have a clue what on earth it could have related to. The email demanded payment of £55. I forgot to mention it on here. Well, actually he is probably racking his brain over it so I will pass on your word of warning.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby miss mouse » February 2nd, 2018, 12:23 am

No scams for a while, I feel neglected. I was visiting a friend to help clear up after window replacements last week and answered the phone while friend was out of the house to hear a recorded, 'Hello, this is the new green deal, under a new government initiative your windows can be replaced...' what? they have only been in ten minutes, obsolete already? It makes you wonder.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 2nd, 2018, 7:22 am

For the past two afternoons I've had a missed call on my mobile ... when I put the number into Google it suggested it could be Greenpeace. I've never given them my phone number so I've sent a text saying that calls from that number will not be answered unless they identify themselves by text first. If they ring again without identifying themselves the number will be blocked.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » February 2nd, 2018, 7:33 am

I don't know about you Suff. but unless I recognise the number (mobile phone) I never answer it. LL we can see who is calling if they are on our call list. Like you I tend to Google the number if suspect. The internet can be a wonderful place ! :tu:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 2nd, 2018, 8:26 am

I wouldn't say that I never answer an unrecognised or withheld number ... doctors and hospital numbers are withheld and some former social work colleagues have withheld phone numbers for their own safety. However I often don't hear my mobile when in the house doing stuff ... If I get missed calls from the same unknown number at approximately the same time of day two days running I smell a rat ... most people other than PITAs will leave a message saying who they are ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » February 2nd, 2018, 8:39 am

We have got caller display - never bother answering International calls as they are invariably sales. Former colleagues in Germany or relatives in New Zealand are theoretically ignored by this approach, but they can always get us on email if necessary, and nobody has ever complained they failed to contact us.

Unavailable or withheld calls could well be medical so have to be answered.
Badger's mate
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop