Another Scam

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Another Scam

Postby StokeySue » August 28th, 2019, 1:21 pm

I was quite pleased with the first TV license mail - reminded me I’d meant to go paperless but hadn’t! :D
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby miss mouse » August 28th, 2019, 3:54 pm

StokeySue wrote:I was quite pleased with the first TV license mail - reminded me I’d meant to go paperless but hadn’t!

I keep the paper copy, the local council decides that we do not live where we do from time to time and it is handy for such times.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 31st, 2019, 9:14 am

Just had my morning brightened considerably by a telephone conversation with a person called Stella from BT .... I said

'Oh Stella, how lovely to hear from you ... I'm so pleased you called ... are you coming to see me today?'

She said that she was indeed coming to see me today.

I said 'That's wonderful. I've been looking forward to meeting you. I'll put the kettle on. Will you bring a cake or shall I make one?'

She said 'Im sorry ... what do you want?'.'

I said 'I want to know whether you will be bringing a cake or whether I should make one.'

There was a silence ... followed by 'Madam, how can I help you?'

I said 'It would certainly help if you bring a cake with you.'

There was another, longer silence ................ then the line went dead ....................... :lol: :lol: :lol:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby miss mouse » August 31st, 2019, 9:17 am

That is truly brilliant Suffs. It has cheered me up no end.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 31st, 2019, 9:22 am

Do you think I should make a cake ... just in case? ;)

OH came rushing in from the studio having overheard a bit of the conversation and wanting to know who was coming and what sort of cake ? :lol:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 31st, 2019, 9:48 am

:lol: :lol:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby miss mouse » August 31st, 2019, 3:04 pm

I think you should make a cake Suffs and when Stella shows up all your cyberchums want to be there to meet her in a Skye type call. How exciting, all of us there on your screen, we all want to meet Stella. Today has had an awful lot of excitement and I only left home once to deliver a parcel to three doors away.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 31st, 2019, 9:39 pm

Stella didn’t show up ... and I’d made virtual cinnamon rolls ... what a let down ... :rolleyes: :(

Next time she or her friends phone I’ll tell them I made cakes and waited in for her ...
suffolk
Registered

Postby miss mouse » August 31st, 2019, 10:32 pm

plus we all virtually visited, what a major disappointment, I shall certainly complain if Stella rings me.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 1st, 2019, 3:24 pm

I picked up an e-mail yesterday, sent at 2.00 am, which looked exactly as if it was from the French government and saying that, infuture all cartes vitale have to be renewed each year and couldl be done on line by providing the followeing information. The Carte vitale is our health service card which we need to access all health services.

Question is - how did they know my e-mail address and not Mr R's why post at 2 in the morning and why have we not had a letter?

I wonder how many people have been fooled?
Last edited by Ratatouille on September 2nd, 2019, 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 2nd, 2019, 7:55 am

I thought this was quite interesting. It's not just the elderly! When I transferred a large sum of money to purchase my car recently I received a text to say my account had been frozen until I contacted the bank and when I did I was really grilled until they were satisfied my transfer was above board. Although inconvenient because I was on holiday with a frozen bank account I was also grateful.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2019/ ... GTUK_email
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 6th, 2019, 8:58 am

Ok a weirdish one. My manager (had to be my manager, didn't it...) got and email from someone using the first half of my email address but a different second half. What's going on here? Anyone had this? I am in the process of googling.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 6th, 2019, 9:27 am

I’ve received emails from the former email address of a business I used to correspond with ... as you say it was the first half of their address tacked into something else ... every time you block it they tack something else onto the first half. I was told that the business’s old email address and Contacts list had been hacked. If I were you I’d get some help from an IT technician.
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 6th, 2019, 9:51 am

It's hard to see how I can do anything about this. If they hacked my account and got my contacts, but use a different email address to contact them, there is nothing I can do to stop them? It may not even be my contacts they hacked. They could hack someone else's and make up emails from mutual contacts' names.

Google searching didn't reveal anything.

I can't see what I can do other than change my password to stop future possible contacts thefts.

I don't think it's worth paying anyone to investigate it really. Will ask one the IT people here if they have come across it.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 6th, 2019, 7:14 pm

I received a call the other day from a foreign guy obviously sitting in the middle of a noisy call centre telling me he worked for a Government department … I told him he was scamming and that he was acting illegally, then put the phone down on him. A minute later I received another call from a different mobile number from someone sounding exactly the same saying that HE worked for a Government department and that I had been reported for accusing the previous caller of being a scammer ! I gave him the same response... then blocked both numbers ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby miss mouse » September 21st, 2019, 10:49 am

Umpteen calls with a recorded message to say my Amazon Prime account was about to be billed. I rarely buy from Amazon and am not signed up for 'Prime'. It is very annoying.
miss mouse
Registered

Previous

Return to The Coffee Shop