[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - Another Scam

Another Scam

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Another Scam

Postby Meganthemog » October 18th, 2019, 9:53 am

I regularly get emails from Russian girls wanting to be my 'friend'! :lol: :lol:
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby miss mouse » October 18th, 2019, 10:11 am

When message-board pics are linked to the post image site there are oodles of 'hot asian babes' desperate to meet me very close, they don't seem to be the sort of babes that need feeding and tending, what can this mean?
miss mouse
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 21st, 2019, 1:23 pm

Well ... they’ve got some of them at least https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-50117796
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 21st, 2019, 2:12 pm

Good. I got the recorded message saying I must press 1 to pay the vast sum I owe to Amazon Prime today :rolleyes:. It's relentless, I am so tired of it.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 21st, 2019, 6:30 pm

Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » October 28th, 2019, 5:29 pm

I hate to admit this but I fell victim to a scam this afternoon.
I had a call from 'my bank' who said that there had been unusual activity on my business account. He told me my account number and sort code, my name and address, my business name and said he didn't want me to give him any passwords or pin numbers. He asked if I had my card reader to hand and did anyone else have access to it that could have authorised these payments - there were 12 payments to a publishing company. I run a magazine.
He said that to stop the payments he just needed me to put some numbers into the security device and tell him the numbers.
He told me what my last transaction was - it was to HMRC this morning.
He then asked me to put some more numbers into the security device - but my suspicions were alerted by now so I made up the numbers - he said that's funny it won't accept that we can try again.
So I said shall I go into my branch and do it there? Yes he said - when do you want to go? I'll go now I said. Ok he said let me just book you in so you don't have to wait - then he gave me a name and a time of 4 to see them in branch.
I hung up and tried to log into my account - I couldn't so went straight into my branch.
He'd transferred a large amount to a company called Top UK ltd and had transferred money from a savings account on the same account into the current account - that was still there.
My bank said that the same thing had happened in exactly the same way last week - to a police officer!
So beware - these scammers are very clever.
Remember they didn't have my password or user name - just my account details which anyone can get from a cheque or payment made to them via the bank.
The upside is that the bank have said I will get a refund within 48 hours.
Do not fall victim to this - if you get a call from your bank saying that there has been unusual activity - hang up and go into your branch!
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 28th, 2019, 5:59 pm

Goodness, these people are the end! My bank sends a text now if they suspect fraudulent activity - luckily, up until now, it has been an activity I am aware of. I am concerned he knew so much about your banking activities, he knew about two separate transactions :shock:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby miss mouse » October 28th, 2019, 6:01 pm

Woo. That is horrible. Are you feeling shaky? I always do even when it is is screamingly obviously a scam.

The amount of detail the scammer has suggests that they have hacked into the bank system, probably not difficult. A cyber security neighbour told me a while ago that Target, the US retail giant, was hacked, they got in via the new aircon system which linked to the computers, was not password/security protected and via that stole credit card details. Those that work in this area became aware because the price of credit cards on the dark web plunged, Police and Target management completely oblivious. What a kerfuffle that must have been.

I had a mild one recently while in friend's remote cottage, an English man (recording) saying that the internet would be switched off in one hour if I did not press 1. No mobile signal so mildly worrying. I didn't and the world did not end or the internet.

Hope you feel OK. Thanks for the warning.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby scullion » November 4th, 2019, 11:29 am

I've just had a phone call from a man calling himself nick somethingorother, supposedly from bt openreach, saying that the trouble we've been having when we've logged on to the internet in the last couple of months is due to a hacker. as i said 'ahh, that 's interesting because...' he rang off. maybe he was a mind reader cos i was going to say that we've been tethering our phones for the past three months as the land line wifi hasn't been working.
scullion
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » November 14th, 2019, 1:01 pm

Just had a call from my bank to say they have refunded all my money! Yey :bounce: :bounce:
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 14th, 2019, 1:29 pm

Oh that IS good news Megan! :luv: :tu:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 14th, 2019, 2:31 pm

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 14th, 2019, 3:38 pm

So do you know how he got the money, Megan?

I had a call from a camera insurance company yesterday. I think it was ok... he wanted to check if I wanted to renew, had my details, knew when the policy needed renewing, asked if I wanted to pay for the renewal there and then. He had the last four digits of the card, so I said yes, but payment was declined, which he said might be because my card was out of date. Could I give him the whole card number?
When I suggested that I tried doing it online with the new expiry date, he implied that I couldn't because he had started he had to finish. I said I would try myself later.
This sounded suspicious, but I am still unsure. How could he have all that info about my policy? Still, better safe than sorry.
Another possibly slightly odd thing about this call is that there was no background noise.

Nothing has come off my card that shouldn't have.
“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." Albert Camus
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 14th, 2019, 11:01 pm

Herbi, companies like that usually write or email as well as phoning. It does sound a bit odd.

I have had an email today supposedly from my car insurers saying that there is an outstanding balance for insurance on my car (they gave the correct registration no). They say they have also written to me. I paid the amount asked in full at the time I took out the policy. I shall await the letter with interest.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » November 15th, 2019, 10:18 am

Meganthemog
Registered

Postby miss mouse » November 15th, 2019, 12:28 pm

miss mouse
Registered

Postby miss mouse » November 16th, 2019, 3:00 pm

From the local Police recent e mail. I imagine that the wish is for the info to be spread so no copyright issues.Most of us are aware of it of course but being reminded is never bad;

"Protect yourself
Behind all of the clever tricks and ever-changing narratives, there are a few basic recurring elements that are common across many frauds, including courier fraud.

Here’s what you need to remember:
Your bank or the police will never…
• call and ask you for your full PIN or full banking password
• Ask you to withdraw money to hand over to them.
• Ask you to transfer money out of your account.
It pays to stop and think anytime you receive a request for personal or financial information.
Remember, if you feel uncomfortable or unsure about what you’re being asked to do, never hesitate to contact your bank or financial service provider directly, using a number you trust, such as the one listed on your bank statements or on the back of your card.

Alternatively, check your actions with a trusted friend or family member and get their advice on whether you should go through with any action relating to your finances.

How to report it
Report via Action Fraud,
either online http://www.actionfraud.police.uk or call 0300 123 2040. "

'Action Fraud' seems to do nothing but record it by the way so don't expect any action from them. We must be a scammers' paradise.

Can't dawdle, I seem to have been left untold wealth somewhere by someone I have never heard of, must get the cheque for admin fees in the post...
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » November 16th, 2019, 5:17 pm

Action Fraud should be renamed Inaction Fraud! It was set up to stop the police from getting bogged down with all the fraud that takes place these days. Sadly they are just another government body who do very little and take an age to do that. I know of several people who have reported various cases of fraud - not all of them online - that have just been paid lip service.
I reported a fraud by a letting agency to them years ago - they made me fill in numerous forms and gave me a case number - end of. And this was where the agency hadn't banked the deposit of thousands of pounds but pocketed it - we gave detailed information as to where these guys could be found - and they are still trading to this day just in another town!
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby miss mouse » November 16th, 2019, 8:05 pm

That's awful Megantm. What a disgrace.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » November 20th, 2019, 11:11 am

For those of you who don't know, my husband has Alzheimer's. This morning I popped out to Lidl, was gone a maximum of 40 minutes. Came back and he said "Santander have been on the phone, someone has just tried to take £600 out of our bank account". :o Alarm bells ringing all over the place . . . . . . .

1. The landline is always on Ansaphone because the only people who ring it are scammers and his friend Harry.
2. Chris never usually answers the phone - so that's obviously now changed . . .
3. I dialled 1471 - number unrecognised.
4. He said he hadn't pressed any buttons (but he wouldn't remember if he had).

I have been on to Santander who have blocked his card and will look out for suspicious activity. But they confirmed that £600 always seems to be mentioned by the scammers.

It's shaken me. I thought he could be trusted not to answer the phone. Will have to think of something more to deter him although he's looking very sheepish now. :oops:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 20th, 2019, 11:40 am

What a worry, these damned people :evil: :evil: :evil:.

Remembering the old dial phones where you could lock the dial to prevent people dialling out, I wonder if there is any method of locking the way the phone is answered? I have a lot of trouble answering my modern phone anyway - you have to press the right buttons and it's fiddly! I've got this one - https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7478219 - you could probably put tape round it to prevent it being answered easily, not an ideal solution but a thought!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » November 20th, 2019, 11:47 am

That's a thought, thanks EM, although we have four handsets as our house has a loft extension. We've got Panasonic too and I suspect that if I ever got to the end of the instruction book I might have found out how to do some of the things yours do. :oops:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 20th, 2019, 11:55 am

It was only through reading it just now that I discovered it does most of those things! You have to be careful that the handset is put back properly and it can easily be knocked - but if it was taped ... !
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 20th, 2019, 11:57 am

Is there anyway the ring tone can be muted while you’re out of the house?
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » November 20th, 2019, 11:58 am

The Ansaphone kicks in after just one ring. He must have been standing right by it. I think that I will hang on to the replacement bankcard when it arrives and just give it to him when he needs it. He is beyond getting into our online account now.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby aero280 » November 20th, 2019, 12:10 pm

Both of our mothers had dementia. Getting them to remember things was almost impossible, but we heard that there was one way which is worth trying. It worked with MiL. And that is to get very cross with the "victim". Apparently when you are seriously cross, the information jumps some sections of the brain and get embedded elsewhere. Something to do with the need to react on instinct in an emergency, or fight/flight.

It could be similar to the responses that my wife sees at her Herts Musical Memories sessions for dementia sufferers. They don't remember basic things, but they still remember the words and music of popular songs. This sort of thing is stored in another compartment of the brain that still functions.

In MiL's case she was stopped from driving. She asked us to remove her car from her drive because it upset her seeing it when she couldn't use it. Then we found that she was telling people that we had taken it without her permission!! OH got very, very cross with her, as it could get reported back to her professional body. MiL never mentioned the car to anyone after that. But it was real anger. We only found out why it worked later.
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Meganthemog » November 20th, 2019, 2:18 pm

Could you just unplug the phone when you are not there? If you do it from the main phone it should disable all the phones.
Having been caught by these scammers myself I would worry that Chris might give away information that they could use at a later date. Are you watching Cold Call? Her mother was called and gave away information that they later used to empty the bank account.
I really don't want to worry you but these people are incredibly devious in their methods :evil: :evil:
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 20th, 2019, 2:22 pm

I agree with a Megan ... If he answered the phone and said that you were out that would make him vulnerable ... someone could go to the house and wheedle their way in ... I know it’s unlikely but ...
suffolk
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » November 20th, 2019, 2:45 pm

Thanks both. Yes, I’ll get Josh to explain to me which plug it is. :oops: As long as it doesn’t disable the TV or internet it sounds like a good idea.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Busybee » November 20th, 2019, 3:21 pm

OH had a call today from a London number, recorded message stating that it was HMRC and that he was being investigated for tax fraud and to ring number.

He immediately realised that it was scammers and hung up, suffice today say that I’m not sure that you would be given advance notice if an investigation was underway, and that I’m pretty sure any approach would be via written communication.

Another one to be aware.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » November 20th, 2019, 5:52 pm

Meganthemog
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » November 20th, 2019, 5:54 pm

PP, I'm pretty sure unplugging the main phone doesn't disable the rest, if this is the route you're thinking of taking make sure first.
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » November 20th, 2019, 6:01 pm

Meganthemog
Registered

Postby scullion » November 20th, 2019, 6:09 pm

we have given up our landline - it was only scammers who used it anyway - and gone over to a 4g router and just our mobiles.
i will miss the occasional chat with 'kevin' from india, or 'sonia' telling me my microsoft windows has been attacked (i love that one - i say i'm doing all the things she asks me to do before finally telling her i use a mac - she's very rude and just puts the phone down on me) but we will decrease the rubbish calls and save at least tenner a month .
scullion
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » November 20th, 2019, 6:25 pm

OH is beyond using a mobile these days but can still work the landline phone to ring his friends.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » November 20th, 2019, 7:59 pm

Thinking about it PP, there may be a way to temporarily block incoming calls. Maybe give your landline provider a call and ask if this sort of thing is available. You could then stop them if/when your OH is on his own.
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » November 20th, 2019, 8:23 pm

Thanks again all. Josh has been experimenting and has shown me a wire to pull out at the back of the main handset! OH is seldom on his own for long but it’s Sod’s Law that the scammers will attack when he is!
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Gruney » November 22nd, 2019, 9:59 am

For the past tw mornings, I've had a recorded message telling me £600 was about to be transferred from my Visa a/c to a foreign country, and if I wanted to prevent this happening......etc.
Gruney
Registered

Postby miss mouse » November 22nd, 2019, 10:03 am

Isn't it odd how it is is always £600.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 22nd, 2019, 10:04 am

There was an interesting programme on Ch 5 last night. .... ' How to Stop those Nuisance calls' ... showing how even 'experts' can get scammed ... and frightening how much info the scammers can obtain either or free or purchase. The general (only) advice was to enrol with TPS and also get a call blocker ... :rolleyes: Also not to provide ANY information requested over the phone. The text scams were the scariest though I think :scared: :terrified:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby hickybank » November 22nd, 2019, 3:20 pm

I watched it, I don't think they gave out much in the way of help.
The majority of us know they are scams & just ignore them.
Sadly the vulnerable that fall for these scams would not have learned anything from last night.
As you say even experts get scammed, I did find that strange.
Just treat every phone call or letter as a scam unless you know the person contacting you or were expecting it.
Common sense is not so common
A brain is as strong as it's weakest think
hickybank
Registered

Postby dennispc » November 22nd, 2019, 5:24 pm

We've TPS and BT 1572 and still they come!
:twisted:
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby miss mouse » November 22nd, 2019, 5:28 pm

I have had TPS for decades...
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » November 22nd, 2019, 5:38 pm

Us too but it doesn’t work for calls from other countries or bogus numbers.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby miss mouse » November 26th, 2019, 8:25 pm

I am being hounded by some outfit called 'Indeed' A search engine tells me that is is some sort of recruitment agency...er, who would head-hunt me? I was chucked on the redundancy scrapheap years ago. I suppose they might want some body parts although I am doing my best to wear them out.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby smitch » November 26th, 2019, 9:32 pm

Indeed are the bane of my life when I’m trying to fill a vacancy. My organisation has a very detailed and specific application form that must be completed by a fixed deadline via our online portal. For whatever reason, Indeed enables candidates to auto-complete an application.

The issue is that most of the form is left completely blank and only limited personal information is provided so I can’t consider the candidate for the role. I can’t tell the application is missing information until I open it and we generally receive over 200 applications for each entry level vacancy. Thankfully I don’t have to recruit very often but it is so frustrating, especially since I end up then being sent additional documents I don’t want and have to provide feedback to people who often have no idea what the job was anyway :evil:
smitch
Registered

Postby miss mouse » November 26th, 2019, 9:44 pm

Oh dear, poor smitch, I have to laugh and cry.

Why did they latch on to me? As said, long made redundant, completely de-skilled, I am not sure that I can even read and write any more.

Apparently Indeed is mega, offices everywhere. Terrible. The poor job hunters, this is cruel.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 26th, 2019, 10:16 pm

Strange, I signed up for emails from them when I retired just to see what was around for mundane part time work locally, I certainly didn't receive them uninvited. They have spent the past 4 months trying to persuade me to apply for the role of Father Christmas in a shopping centre.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 26th, 2019, 10:32 pm

Have you not been tempted to apply EM? ;) :lol:
suffolk
Registered

Postby miss mouse » November 26th, 2019, 10:45 pm

Our more technology literate posters could tell us how it is done, V mundane I think, 'sweepers', 'crawlers' all sorts of stuff harvesting e mail addys and other stuff. If you look at Wildfood 'who is online' late at night there is generally a crawler of some sort. Technology wasn't and isn't my field so this might be nonsense.

Gosh, EM is going to do a Santa's Grotto gig? That is exciting, another wildies outing, we can probably claim ' age discrimination' or something if we aren't allowed to sit on santa's knee. I am looking forward to this, who will arrange the outing?
miss mouse
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop