Another Scam

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Another Scam

Postby Meganthemog » October 18th, 2019, 9:53 am

I regularly get emails from Russian girls wanting to be my 'friend'! :lol: :lol:
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby miss mouse » October 18th, 2019, 10:11 am

When message-board pics are linked to the post image site there are oodles of 'hot asian babes' desperate to meet me very close, they don't seem to be the sort of babes that need feeding and tending, what can this mean?
miss mouse
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 21st, 2019, 1:23 pm

Well ... they’ve got some of them at least https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-50117796
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 21st, 2019, 2:12 pm

Good. I got the recorded message saying I must press 1 to pay the vast sum I owe to Amazon Prime today :rolleyes:. It's relentless, I am so tired of it.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 21st, 2019, 6:30 pm

suffolk wrote:Well ... they’ve got some of them at least https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-50117796

Great I hope they get lots of others and do them comprehensively!
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » October 28th, 2019, 5:29 pm

I hate to admit this but I fell victim to a scam this afternoon.
I had a call from 'my bank' who said that there had been unusual activity on my business account. He told me my account number and sort code, my name and address, my business name and said he didn't want me to give him any passwords or pin numbers. He asked if I had my card reader to hand and did anyone else have access to it that could have authorised these payments - there were 12 payments to a publishing company. I run a magazine.
He said that to stop the payments he just needed me to put some numbers into the security device and tell him the numbers.
He told me what my last transaction was - it was to HMRC this morning.
He then asked me to put some more numbers into the security device - but my suspicions were alerted by now so I made up the numbers - he said that's funny it won't accept that we can try again.
So I said shall I go into my branch and do it there? Yes he said - when do you want to go? I'll go now I said. Ok he said let me just book you in so you don't have to wait - then he gave me a name and a time of 4 to see them in branch.
I hung up and tried to log into my account - I couldn't so went straight into my branch.
He'd transferred a large amount to a company called Top UK ltd and had transferred money from a savings account on the same account into the current account - that was still there.
My bank said that the same thing had happened in exactly the same way last week - to a police officer!
So beware - these scammers are very clever.
Remember they didn't have my password or user name - just my account details which anyone can get from a cheque or payment made to them via the bank.
The upside is that the bank have said I will get a refund within 48 hours.
Do not fall victim to this - if you get a call from your bank saying that there has been unusual activity - hang up and go into your branch!
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 28th, 2019, 5:59 pm

Goodness, these people are the end! My bank sends a text now if they suspect fraudulent activity - luckily, up until now, it has been an activity I am aware of. I am concerned he knew so much about your banking activities, he knew about two separate transactions :shock:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby miss mouse » October 28th, 2019, 6:01 pm

Woo. That is horrible. Are you feeling shaky? I always do even when it is is screamingly obviously a scam.

The amount of detail the scammer has suggests that they have hacked into the bank system, probably not difficult. A cyber security neighbour told me a while ago that Target, the US retail giant, was hacked, they got in via the new aircon system which linked to the computers, was not password/security protected and via that stole credit card details. Those that work in this area became aware because the price of credit cards on the dark web plunged, Police and Target management completely oblivious. What a kerfuffle that must have been.

I had a mild one recently while in friend's remote cottage, an English man (recording) saying that the internet would be switched off in one hour if I did not press 1. No mobile signal so mildly worrying. I didn't and the world did not end or the internet.

Hope you feel OK. Thanks for the warning.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby scullion » November 4th, 2019, 11:29 am

I've just had a phone call from a man calling himself nick somethingorother, supposedly from bt openreach, saying that the trouble we've been having when we've logged on to the internet in the last couple of months is due to a hacker. as i said 'ahh, that 's interesting because...' he rang off. maybe he was a mind reader cos i was going to say that we've been tethering our phones for the past three months as the land line wifi hasn't been working.
scullion
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » November 14th, 2019, 1:01 pm

Just had a call from my bank to say they have refunded all my money! Yey :bounce: :bounce:
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 14th, 2019, 1:29 pm

Oh that IS good news Megan! :luv: :tu:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 14th, 2019, 2:31 pm

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 14th, 2019, 3:38 pm

So do you know how he got the money, Megan?

I had a call from a camera insurance company yesterday. I think it was ok... he wanted to check if I wanted to renew, had my details, knew when the policy needed renewing, asked if I wanted to pay for the renewal there and then. He had the last four digits of the card, so I said yes, but payment was declined, which he said might be because my card was out of date. Could I give him the whole card number?
When I suggested that I tried doing it online with the new expiry date, he implied that I couldn't because he had started he had to finish. I said I would try myself later.
This sounded suspicious, but I am still unsure. How could he have all that info about my policy? Still, better safe than sorry.
Another possibly slightly odd thing about this call is that there was no background noise.

Nothing has come off my card that shouldn't have.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 14th, 2019, 11:01 pm

Herbi, companies like that usually write or email as well as phoning. It does sound a bit odd.

I have had an email today supposedly from my car insurers saying that there is an outstanding balance for insurance on my car (they gave the correct registration no). They say they have also written to me. I paid the amount asked in full at the time I took out the policy. I shall await the letter with interest.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » November 15th, 2019, 10:18 am

Herbidacious wrote:So do you know how he got the money, Megan?

Yes, I was stupid enough to let him convince me into giving him a code generated by my security device. I now know that NO bank employee would ask me to do that over the phone. My Nationwide card reader says something to that effect on the back - but my HSBC one didn't have any such warning. I think that is why they have refunded me in full.
I was one of the sceptics who always thought that you'd have to be pretty stupid to be conned in this way, but as I said in my previous post - a police officer was conned in exactly the same way!
I certainly won't be caught out again. I urge everyone on this board to be very suspicious of anyone who calls to discuss anything financial - if in doubt go to your bank/building society/insurance company direct.
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby miss mouse » November 15th, 2019, 12:28 pm

Meganthemog wrote:I certainly won't be caught out again. I urge everyone on this board to be very suspicious of anyone who calls to discuss anything financial - if in doubt go to your bank/building society/insurance company direct.

Be wary about telephoning them from the same line though, the fraudsters can keep the line open somehow and pretend to be the bank/ins/BS you are calling.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby miss mouse » November 16th, 2019, 3:00 pm

From the local Police recent e mail. I imagine that the wish is for the info to be spread so no copyright issues.Most of us are aware of it of course but being reminded is never bad;

"Protect yourself
Behind all of the clever tricks and ever-changing narratives, there are a few basic recurring elements that are common across many frauds, including courier fraud.

Here’s what you need to remember:
Your bank or the police will never…
• call and ask you for your full PIN or full banking password
• Ask you to withdraw money to hand over to them.
• Ask you to transfer money out of your account.
It pays to stop and think anytime you receive a request for personal or financial information.
Remember, if you feel uncomfortable or unsure about what you’re being asked to do, never hesitate to contact your bank or financial service provider directly, using a number you trust, such as the one listed on your bank statements or on the back of your card.

Alternatively, check your actions with a trusted friend or family member and get their advice on whether you should go through with any action relating to your finances.

How to report it
Report via Action Fraud,
either online http://www.actionfraud.police.uk or call 0300 123 2040. "

'Action Fraud' seems to do nothing but record it by the way so don't expect any action from them. We must be a scammers' paradise.

Can't dawdle, I seem to have been left untold wealth somewhere by someone I have never heard of, must get the cheque for admin fees in the post...
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » November 16th, 2019, 5:17 pm

Action Fraud should be renamed Inaction Fraud! It was set up to stop the police from getting bogged down with all the fraud that takes place these days. Sadly they are just another government body who do very little and take an age to do that. I know of several people who have reported various cases of fraud - not all of them online - that have just been paid lip service.
I reported a fraud by a letting agency to them years ago - they made me fill in numerous forms and gave me a case number - end of. And this was where the agency hadn't banked the deposit of thousands of pounds but pocketed it - we gave detailed information as to where these guys could be found - and they are still trading to this day just in another town!
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby miss mouse » November 16th, 2019, 8:05 pm

That's awful Megantm. What a disgrace.
miss mouse
Registered

Previous

Return to The Coffee Shop