[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - Another Scam

Another Scam

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Another Scam

Postby miss mouse » March 19th, 2020, 5:32 pm

miss mouse
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 21st, 2020, 10:28 am

I just had a phone call from someone telling me he was from Visa card fraud department and that there has been suspicious activity on my card - someone trying to make a payment for £950 from amazon. He spoke slowly and clearly. Middle aged, English, accentless quite dour white bloke, I'd say, and gave a full name. When it got to take details I asked if he'd mind very much if I rang Visa back myself. He put the phone down.
Not really worth chasing up, is it? It's disconcerting though. The only thing that made me ask this was because it's my practise to do this. There was nothing in his demeanour. Some psychology thing kicks in. 'Could this be genuine?' 'I don't want to get it wrong/offend.' I suppose at base, other things being equal, the only reason not to believe him is that this kind of fraud exists and this raises the probability of it being exactly that. Nothing else does.
I should tell me my mother about this one, and reinforce that she should always ask to ring back. Nothing is sticking in her brain these days though.

edited for loads of typos :oops:
Last edited by Herbidacious on March 21st, 2020, 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." Albert Camus
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 21st, 2020, 10:32 am

Maybe alert Visa to the fact that she’s elderly /vulnerable and they should be alert to unusual activity on her card?

At least if you’ve flagged it up to them they can’t say they didn’t know.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 21st, 2020, 10:48 am

I agree with Suffs re your mother.

I have had genuine phone calls regarding fraudulent use of my card in the past. A pitfall was that they asked some security details to check they were speaking to the right person so I called back using the proper bank phone number and got transferred back to the fraud dept to be safe.

Nowadays they send a text message and ask if you've just made the purchase and you text yes or no back. If your bank has your mobile number I'd expect them to do the same. I suppose the text could be part of the scam but they'd have to have your mobile number as well as bank card number. Sometimes they ask you to call them and again, I don't use the number provided until I have checked with the bank. Also, they usually block the card nowadays until you've confirmed your purchase was genuine so if your caller didn't check who you were or block your card it sounds dodgy. I would call the bank to check.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby miss mouse » March 21st, 2020, 12:14 pm

miss mouse
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 21st, 2020, 12:16 pm

Even if I rang another number, Miss Mouse? Any other number?
Can you explain this further?
Last edited by Herbidacious on March 21st, 2020, 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." Albert Camus
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 21st, 2020, 12:26 pm

I can try and ring her bank. Need to find out what banking operating policy is. Would they really contact you if a large and uncharacteristic sum was attempting to be put through/had been spent?
They are very lackadaisical with small sums.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby smitch » March 21st, 2020, 12:42 pm

smitch
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 21st, 2020, 1:09 pm

Well I suppose if one doesn't ring immediately it's ok? I mean if I ring my mother afterwards, which I did, I will know whether it's her or not? Or am I missing something? :?

This guy cut me off anyway...

I did just call my mother and she seems alert to all of this, so I am reassured. She also seemed more alert full stop than she has in ages, which is also reassuring (new meds must be kicking in.) :) However I will tell her the phoning back thing. I think her usual approach is to just ignore the whole scam thing and not follow it up. She doesn't have an option to us another phone line.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 21st, 2020, 1:19 pm

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 21st, 2020, 1:28 pm

If by John Lewis, any spend I made in there at one point, triggered a fraud alert with my bank. At one point, there was clearly deemed to be some issue with them.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 21st, 2020, 2:11 pm

Some of these people are just too darned clever! If I spend an unusual amount, especially with a payee I don't use regularly, my bank always send a text and block my card until I confirm. It's quite annoying sometimes!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby miss mouse » March 21st, 2020, 6:29 pm

miss mouse
Registered

Postby miss mouse » March 21st, 2020, 6:34 pm

miss mouse
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 21st, 2020, 7:16 pm

I doubt they could immitate my mother...

This is based on the thing where if you ring someone and they don't ring off when you do, their conection remains open? Or something else.

In this instance he disconnected, anyway.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 21st, 2020, 7:24 pm

For reference from BT:
7.1. Terminal Initiated Clearing
7.1.1. By The Calling Terminal
When a call is ended by the calling terminal, the BT network interface will detect an off-line
condition (see section 3.1 Off-Line d.c. Condition) and provide the network initiated clearing
(see section 7.2 Network Initiated Clearing) to the called terminal. Line breaks of less than
200 ms will not be recognised as a clear. Line breaks greater than 3 s will be recognised as a
clear (see section 10.1 Follow-on Call).

7.1.2. By The Called Terminal
When a call is ended by the called terminal, the BT network interface will detect an off-line
condition (see section 3.1 Off-line d.c. Condition) and initiate a time-out process lasting
between two seconds and three minutes. After the time-out period has expired, network
initiated clearing (see section 7.2 Network Initiated Clearing) is provided to the calling
terminal.

I think was this means is that the call will be terminated after a very short gap so the line can't be kept open by the other party.

But maybe this is not how the scam works. Was just curious how it did work. Can't find anything about it online.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby smitch » March 21st, 2020, 7:41 pm

There is some information on this article
smitch
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 21st, 2020, 7:50 pm

thank you!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby miss mouse » March 21st, 2020, 7:58 pm

miss mouse
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 21st, 2020, 8:28 pm

In this instance, not, though.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 23rd, 2020, 12:14 am

I have just seen a scam where a very convincing page is sent by text or possibly email and invites people to enter their postcode to claim £258 which UKGOV has agreed to pay out to everyone during the COVID-19 period. ' The cosmetically correct scam UK GOV site goes on to try to harvest personal data with this promise of a payment. Please warn those you think may be vulnerable.'

I have tried to copy it to paste on here but I can't find a format Wildfood will allow. It could fool a lot of people :( .
earthmaiden
Registered

Previous

Return to The Coffee Shop