Another Scam

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Another Scam

Postby dennispc » February 5th, 2017, 4:52 pm

We've been pestered by the gas boiler one for days now. It's a recording; we've noted the number but it keeps changing, 0137, 0167 ... so difficult to report.

This estate doesn't even have gas! :(
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby Gruney » February 5th, 2017, 5:58 pm

Well it turned out my HMRC emails were not a scam. I went via the route I used to complete my on line tax return - and it transpired I did owe tax. £1.45! They sent me seven emails to extract it from me!

However, there is a story. You can make your payment on line, using a debit/credit card. I did. But I was still anxious, and thought I would receive an immediate email acknowledgement - just like that sterling tax paying organisation Amazon does. I immediately accessed my emails. Everything crashed! I was in panic !

I phoned my bank, who understood my fears, confirmed the account had not been emptied, and cancelled the card I'd used. Phew - I was safe!

An hour later, I tried to access my emails - all was well - apparently Yahoo had had a technical hitch, which had by then been resolved. It had been the cruellest of coincidences - I laugh about it now, but you can imagine!
Gruney
Registered

Postby aero280 » February 6th, 2017, 12:04 am

If you have an Apple Mac. Buy a separate hard drive and enable "Time Machine". It backs up every hour for a day, then every day for a month, then every month until it runs out of memory and starts deleting the oldest stuff. You don't have to do anything and you don't really notice it doing it. It's a life saver on occasions.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby aero280 » February 9th, 2017, 1:45 pm

There's a re-appearance of a piece of malware. It's known as "Macdownloader" and it attempts to get into your computer by pretending to be an updater for Adobe Flash Player. If you have your flash player set to automatically update, you should be OK. If it appears, ignore it.

If you need to check an offer to update Adobe, go back to www.adobe.com and start from scratch. The give away is that the source of the malware comes from a site called "www.addone.flashplayer.app".

The same thing can appear as an "Adware Removal Tool" which falsely tells you that you have a "worm" and if you click the button offered, it won't remove it as it claims.

Both of these set up a hidden program that will attempt to copy all the passwords stored on your computer.

This program appeared a while back on Windows and Android systems, but has now surfaced in the Mac world.

BUT remember, unless you actually do something to load these things, you will be OK. Nothing can be installed on the Mac automatically.

Here's the full explanation https://iranthreats.github.io/resources ... s-malware/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby miss mouse » February 9th, 2017, 8:01 pm

I had an e mail about a parking ticket which is odd becauseI have never owned a car and haven't driven for forty years. The English was a dead giveaway.

I heard on R4 that there is some 'joke' going around by phone. It is something that can be downloaded. You answer the phone and some maniac shouts that you are stealing his bandwidth, he's traced you and this is the number or you are told that you smashed up his parked car which he knows because you left a note under the windscreen wipers. The prankster can listen in to your responses. The one on the radio sounded pretty nasty.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 10th, 2017, 12:25 am

Reminds me of a DJ on the radio a few years ago (Steve Wright or the guy who invented Mr Blobby ?) who regularly played a recording of someone going off on one and accusing all sorts .. (Mr Angry ???) I think that prank caught some recipients out iirc ........... :?
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Seatallan » February 10th, 2017, 8:19 am

:D
Yes, Mr Angry it was. From 'Steve Wright in the Afternoon'. We used to listen to it when we were students in the early 80's. Do you remember 'Pound of bananas' and 'I'm just sitting in a bus shelter a-spittin' and a-pickin' my nose'...? :lol:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 10th, 2017, 10:19 am

Just answered the phone - a poor line and someone struggling with the English language - whoever it was wanted to talk to me about my BT broadband - I replied, ' but I don't have BT broadband ...' he hung up on me :shock: how rude :evil: :rolleyes:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 17th, 2017, 10:39 am

Some years ago I changed my surname but most scammers use old information that they've paid little or nothing for ... don't you just love it when you get one of those phonecalls that you know is going to be about the viruses attacking your computer, and the chap asks if you're Mrs Esmerelda Cuttlefish and you say 'No'.

There was a silence, then he repeated his question ... again I said 'No'.

He said, 'You're not?' and I said 'No' again.

Another pause and some muttering ... then he hung up.

I shall continue with this tactic ... it's great fun :lol:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 17th, 2017, 12:22 pm

:lol: :lol: It would be even more fun if they didn't call at all!

In these days of equality, they seem to have stopped asking if Mr so& so is there when you are a female living alone. I found it quite satisfying to say no! Nowadays I refuse to even confirm my name, asking who they are and how they know me in a 'confused older lady' way. I am still getting the man who has promised never to ring again if I listen to him for 40 seconds but we have a slight stumbling block. I apparently have to confirm my name, address and phone number before I am entitled to listen for 40 seconds. The call is from something like Pro Living but it is hard to catch what is being said.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » February 17th, 2017, 1:02 pm

You could always say what Mr Rats says "I never do anything like this over the phone, please confirm in writing to the address you are calling, as you clearly know them" Knowing. of course what they want is your name etc etc
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby aero280 » February 17th, 2017, 1:30 pm

Now that we are retired, it's interesting to notice that most of the calls are during the day. Presumably trying to frighten anyone home during the day. Usually a wife, whom they expect to be less computer literate? That's getting a bit harder these days as I would think that most people have been using computers from school.

I just missed computing in school. We saw a bit at uni and had a visit to the big computer on the two air-conditioned floors, but then got involved at work in the early 70's. So anyone younger than me ought to be aware of scams and anyone 10 years younger probably knows a lot more about computers than I do.
aero280
Site Admin

Postby suffolk » February 17th, 2017, 1:57 pm

Don't think it's aimed specifically at women aero :) - very few 'stay at home' wives nowadays ... they're just after the more easily confuddled elderly, of whichever gender. :rolleyes:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby dennispc » February 17th, 2017, 2:54 pm

Another boiler one yesterday. So pressed 2 to speak to an adviser. Difficult for me to hear but he was quite willing to give the information I requested, name, address and telephone number.

It turned out to be a Call Centre, Eagle …. couldn't hear the rest. 171 Main Street, Hamilton, Scotland on 01726 27347. I explained I needed the details to make a complaint to TPS, and the click off came very quickly!
dennispc
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 18th, 2017, 9:50 am

Just reported a phishing email to Apple - apparently I bought some sort of 'game' in the wee small hours this morning - as if :rolleyes: :twisted:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Hope » February 18th, 2017, 10:14 am

Yesterday I had a call asking me about details about my life insurance policy due to a change in the law. I was not comfortable answering these questions on the phone and have no idea what it's about, so I told them and they hung up on me, so clearly must've been a scam thing. Not a clue what the scam was. Has there been a change in the law?
Hope
Registered

Postby dennispc » February 23rd, 2017, 3:26 pm

We've had no more boiler calls. Something worked.

However, something weird happened on the iMac. I've been trying to get my head round three point perspective, particularly a bird's eye view.

Went searching for Youtube videos, which helped a lot but then short clips finish just at the point when I need more help. Clicked through a few and then a very dramatic message, telling me – do no more, ring Apple immediately, number on screen, don't use the computer as 'they' are already grabbing your Facebook account, email and so on. I don't use Facebook so knew it was a scam, had to use Force Quit to get out of Chrome and shut down. Email account is fine.

Hope, there was a change in Insurance Law in 2015, mostly commercial/business stuff. The only change in 2017 is Insurers have to pay out claims in a reasonable time - whatever that means.
dennispc
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 27th, 2017, 9:32 am

This is an interesting one ..... not sure quite how just a 'yes' would work without giving further permission or confirmation of identity but worth being aware of:

http://www.theswindonian.co.uk/20088/27 ... -hear-them
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TezzaBear » February 27th, 2017, 10:21 am

I once had a call out of the blue concerning my home insurance contents policy. I suspected the person was not calling from the insurance company. I had never put in a claim and my details had not changed so why would they? Anyway, I felt uncomfortable with it especially when he started asking me if I have this, that and the other item, mainly electrical such as TV, laptop. I asked him why he wanted to know and told him it was none of his business. After much harrumphing he cut the call off. Hmmm suspicious or what?
Miss my cats...
TezzaBear
Registered

Postby dennispc » March 11th, 2017, 9:44 am

Not a scam as such, but need to renew my European Health card. Clicked on site for renewal, filled it all in then asked for card details - they were going to charge £34! :rolleyes: Looks official but has the word 'Direct' after the logo.

Clicked out at that point and found the NHS site, all for free and much simpler.

I'm now getting emails from the Direct site telling me I haven't completed my application whilst the NHS site tells me I have.
dennispc
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 11th, 2017, 10:00 am

I had one this morning supposedly from Amazon France telling me I had won a 150euro gift voucher and all I had to do was enter my Amazon account details to have it creditted to my account. Really ????? :lol: :lol:
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cooksalot » March 11th, 2017, 10:05 am

I often get calls where the caller assures me there are serious problems with my Windows system, and he/she is looking at it right now. When I tell them I use a Mac they hang up pretty quick!
cooksalot
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 11th, 2017, 8:30 pm

cooksalot wrote:I often get calls where the caller assures me there are serious problems with my Windows system, and he/she is looking at it right now. When I tell them I use a Mac they hang up pretty quick!

Just recently I've been getting that one at least once a week just after lunchtime - last time I told them I don't have a computer - they hung up.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby aero280 » March 12th, 2017, 10:28 am

I got home the other day just in time to overhear OH on the phone to "windows man"...

"Does your mother know you are a criminal? I would be mortified if any of my family did what you are doing. Next time you speak to your family, tell them how you really earn a living!" I think he hung up before she finished.

Her other line is "You are engaging in illegal activity. I will pray for you. Would you like to join me in a short prayer now?" They usually hang up too...
aero280
Site Admin

Postby suffolk » March 12th, 2017, 11:18 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :tu:

I once told the chap that he should get a job that he could be proud of and that would be of service to his community and contribute to his family's and his country's wellbeing .... he phoned me back the next day and said he'd been thinking about what I'd said ................ could I help him get a job? :|
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 18th, 2017, 5:18 pm

I have received an interesting email, apparently from someone at Lloyds bank. He tells me that someone died and that as there was no heir, I have been randomly selected to receive £16,000,000 because we shared a surname. All I have to do at the moment is click on a link to respond to the sender.

Needless to say, I do not intend clicking on any link but I am a bit sad that there are people who would believe that tale - there were spelling mistakes in the email too.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby miss mouse » March 18th, 2017, 5:56 pm

earthmaiden wrote:I have received an interesting email, apparently from someone at Lloyds bank. He tells me that someone died and that as there was no heir, I have been randomly selected to receive £16,000,000 because we shared a surname. All I have to do at the moment is click on a link to respond to the sender.

Congratulations, you will remember me won't you, I mill would be quite nice at the moment.

Meanwhile, Back On the Beat, the neighbourhood Policing has in its weekly newsletter reported the telephone scam, when the Police or Bank have spotted unusual activity on the account or have someone in cuostardy and need the credi card to prosecute, it's an old one, disclose pin and hand over credi card to mystery motor bike rider. I am surprised that so many have been caught out but con-merchants are plausible.

Anyway, whoo a million, goodness very nice of you em.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 18th, 2017, 7:35 pm

EM :luv: :hug: :luv: :hug: :luv: :hug:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » March 18th, 2017, 8:11 pm

Bet they dont try that one with you Suffs :lol:

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby scullion » March 19th, 2017, 12:26 am

miss mouse wrote:
earthmaiden wrote:I have received an interesting email, apparently from someone at Lloyds bank. He tells me that someone died and that as there was no heir, I have been randomly selected to receive £16,000,000 because we shared a surname. All I have to do at the moment is click on a link to respond to the sender.

Congratulations, you will remember me won't you, I mill would be quite nice at the moment.

Anyway, whoo a million, goodness very nice of you em.

yeah, but she'll only think about it if you share a surname with her (and no deed poll).
scullion
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 19th, 2017, 8:47 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: ... nice to have so many friends all of a sudden!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » April 3rd, 2017, 4:01 pm

I've just had a phone call from someone who says they are HRMC informing me that they are starting a law suit against me.

Not sure why as I have been PAYE for the last 25 years.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 3rd, 2017, 4:13 pm

:?
What grounds did they give and what have you got to do to stop them?
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » April 3rd, 2017, 4:20 pm

It was a recorded message where the vowels didn't quite link up. My name was not mentioned. It was a bit Stephen Hawking.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 3rd, 2017, 4:24 pm

Oooh .... scary ............. NOT .................... some people must be desperate :rolleyes:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby aero280 » April 19th, 2017, 10:12 am

If you are into scamming, it must be relatively easy because there are some people who you despair of and almost bring it on themselves. OH has just shown me a post from a new member in a genealogy board who is seeking help in tracing her family tree.

She has posted her full name, address, date and place of birth, parents full names with their places and dates of birth, Mother's maiden name, and a full set of the same info for the grandparents!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :o :shock: :o :shock: :o :shock: :o :shock: :rolleyes:
aero280
Site Admin

Postby cooksalot » April 19th, 2017, 11:13 am

aero280 wrote:She has posted her full name, address, date and place of birth, parents full names with their places and dates of birth, Mother's maiden name, and a full set of the same info for the grandparents!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

That's why I will only ever use a pseudonym on a public message board or Twitter! FB has pretty good privacy settings that I check regularly.
cooksalot
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 19th, 2017, 12:40 pm

WE had an attempted telephone scam last Thursday. Mr R answered the phone because it showed as a local number and he was expecting a call. A man said he would be coming to inspect our house the next day at 4.30 to assess it for "Government norms" as the law demanded.

Mr R told him to quote these norms and of course the caller just gave a load of garbage. "Do you think I am as stupud and as naive as that?" he asked. To which the caller replied "Well you are not French with a name like yours". Mr R then demonstrated his considerable command of less than polite French during which the call was quietly terminated. Having looked up the number he reported the call to both the phone company and the police who told him he had done exactly right and unfortunately several people had been fooled.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby miss mouse » April 19th, 2017, 6:06 pm

Today I heard that I had been in a traffic accident yet again. A company from Holland calling apparently. No recollection of, oh dear, serious brain damage obviously.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 19th, 2017, 7:18 pm

They phoned me the other day about my accident too. I told them I don't drive and dont have a car ... that confused them and they hung up. I'd lied of course, but if they can lie so can I :twisted:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby dennispc » April 20th, 2017, 11:09 am

Just had another - guy from BT Openreach telling me I had a problem with our internet connection. No, yes you have sir, no, yes, no etc.

I/you know he's lying because if there was a problem it would come from BT, not Openreach which is a separate division.

We use 1572 to block the number but, of course, they use a different number each time. :twisted:
dennispc
Registered

Postby miss mouse » April 20th, 2017, 5:23 pm

Ratatouille wrote: A man said he would be coming to inspect our house the next day at 4.30 to assess it for "Government norms" as the law demanded.

I'd have let him come and waste his time and the ncalled the Gendarmerie. Possibly having alerted the Gendarmerie first.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 20th, 2017, 6:27 pm

miss mouse wrote:
Ratatouille wrote: A man said he would be coming to inspect our house the next day at 4.30 to assess it for "Government norms" as the law demanded.

I'd have let him come and waste his time and the ncalled the Gendarmerie. Possibly having alerted the Gendarmerie first.

Life's just too short I can assure you the Gendarmerie would'nt have turned up.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby miss mouse » April 26th, 2017, 2:44 pm

They are at it again, neighbour was called by the Talk Talk help desk who had detected a problem with something, jolly nice of them particularly as neighbour is on BT.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 26th, 2017, 3:21 pm

BT technicians called me twice today about my broadband problem that I'm probably unaware of ... they hung up when I said I was on Virgin and then told them ' sort of' politely to stop bothering me ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby miss mouse » April 26th, 2017, 3:27 pm

Oh dear. Scamming season is building nicely, it is so annoying. Maybe I will answer the phone with, ' Hello, Caroline Bone speaking. Who are you looking for?'
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Sian » April 27th, 2017, 8:17 am

I don't usually answer the land line these days.....reasoning that if it's important enough then they'll leave a message; yesterday's message tells me that "There's a lawsuit against your name, press 1 to speak to your case manager...I deleted the rest of the spiel!

If I disappear again I'll probably be in an American gaol (accent on messages sounded American to me) ;) :lol:

Cariad Mawr xxooxx
Well behaved women rarely make history.....
Sian
Registered

Postby cooksalot » April 27th, 2017, 9:31 am

suffolk wrote:BT technicians called me twice today about my broadband problem that I'm probably unaware of ... they hung up when I said I was on Virgin and then told them ' sort of' politely to stop bothering me ...

That one is doing the rounds - I had a call from the "BT Helpdesk" yesterday. Needless to say I told them to go away. I'm not on BT and even if I was I'm sure they wouldn't contact in that way....
cooksalot
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 27th, 2017, 1:44 pm

Yes, I've been getting that one roughly once a week for quite some time. :rolleyes:

When I told one chap to get a proper job and stop working for crooks he phoned me again the next day and asked me to help him get a better job :shock:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 29th, 2017, 2:58 pm

Not a scam, but I just had a brilliant result when answering the door to a cold caller from a charity (the sort where students are employed to try and get people to sign up to direct debit). I realised as I was opening the door what was likely to be on the other side as my visitor was calling out to his friends down the street. I adopted my best 'What the hell do you want?' expression which must have been quite good because the young man looked horrified and asked if he really looked that frightening :lol: :lol: . He asked if I had heard of the charity ... yes, bored expression. He clocked my continued disinterest and said he thought he might have caught me at a busy moment :lol: . 'Well, actually ....' says I, and he said he would leave me to it. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :lol: :lol: :lol:

i must have looked terrifying ... and it was quite a good day with face and hair done and respectable clothes on too. Worth a try if you get caught like that!
earthmaiden
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop