Another Scam

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Another Scam

Postby icelesley » September 18th, 2015, 7:15 am

I have just had an email saying my Barclaycard has been deactivated due to unusual usage, it say click below to reactivate signed by someone from Barclays IT dept.

It must be a scam, I DON'T HAVE A BARCLAYCARD :rolleyes:
Last edited by icelesley on September 18th, 2015, 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Re: Another Scam

Postby miss mouse » September 18th, 2015, 10:05 am

Citybank keeps sending me e mails about my account. Erm what account?
miss mouse
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 18th, 2015, 7:17 pm

I had a letter yesterday with the heading 'The People's Postcode Lottery'. It had a nice heading with a London address, reference numbers, a signature and looked quite genuine. I don't even do the proper postcode lottery so knew it wasn't anything I had bought a ticket for and knew straight away I would not be eligible for several thousand pounds without having done anything. Once read, some of the English in the letter was very poor and of course, you had to confirm your details and pay something to receive the money :rolleyes: .

I must say, that at first sight it was one of the most genuine-looking things I have received of that nature and I can see how less sceptical people could be fooled, especially if they play the proper Postcode Lottery. I suppose the address on the letter would lead to an empty building or private equivalent of a PO Box.

I get spam emails about an online Halifax account too. I have never had one of those!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby dennispc » September 20th, 2015, 9:00 am

I'm sure earthmaiden I saw an advert on television the other day for the PPL - that doesn't mean I'm recommending it but it shows how difficult to it is to know what's a scam and what isn't.
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 20th, 2015, 9:54 am

Yes, there is a genuine one which was what made this look so plausible, I could see how people could fall for it.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby dennispc » September 20th, 2015, 1:34 pm

Royal Mail's advice

"If you think you or a family member is receiving scam mail, you can report it to us. If you have received items of mail you believe to be from fraudsters please send them to us, with a covering letter to:

FREEPOST SCAM MAIL"
dennispc
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 20th, 2015, 4:59 pm

:tu: :tu:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby MrsWWoof » September 20th, 2015, 5:08 pm

Or you could let your local constabulary have it for investigation.
Hold on . . . until you find your smile again.
MrsWWoof
Registered

Postby dennispc » September 21st, 2015, 7:20 pm

Today's Telegraph had a story of a Suffolk firm where someone was persuaded over the phone to allow access to the firm's computers. The compnay lost a million pounds. :shock:
dennispc
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 28th, 2016, 11:18 pm

Just resurrecting this thread. I had an email earlier in the week which I thought was a scam saying that my Amazon account had been frozen due to suspected misuse and that I would need to log in again to continue to use it. Tonight I have had two emails saying they are from Amazon saying that there has been suspected misuse on my account from a computer in Romania. All of course had links which I could use to re-register or decline further emails (which I did not use).

I have to say that all, especially the first, looked quite genuine at first sight but on closer inspection showed some flaws, such as a comma instead of a full stop in the Amazon address.

This is just a warning in case anyone receives something similar. I do not use Amazon Prime nor store bank details on my account, my proper Amazon account seems to be working fine. I do feel a little uneasy though as both sets of emails came the day after I had ordered something from Amazon.

Does anyone know more about this scam?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » November 29th, 2016, 7:00 am

Tesco apparently want to send me $50 ??????? Mark as unread, move to trash, move on........

I had an email apparently from an ex work colleague/old friend, have not communicated with for over 10 years, with a link. Nearly opened it, but maybe she had a virus that sent doggy e-mail to all in her contacts list ??? Delete and move on.....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Hope » November 29th, 2016, 7:24 am

Most banks etc have email addresses to forward scam emails to for them to investigate.

I get, several times a day, emails in exactly the same format but apparently from different companies (Aldi and Argos are two I can remember) saying something about a free £50 voucher. I just click spam. Virgin's spam filters seem to randomly go wrong and I end up with days of gettings tens of scam emails.
Hope
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 29th, 2016, 8:32 am

I get quite a few obvious ones but these 'Amazon' ones we just a bit cleverer and I am concerned that they coincide with times I have made actual purchases from Amazon. I wonder if Amazon will really care if I forward them to them.

I am with Virgin too, the filter problem seems to have calmed down now!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 29th, 2016, 10:09 am

The items on Ransome ware attacks highlighted on radio and TV yesterday are especially worrying and make one reluctant to click on anything! However a friend who backs up his computer evry single day and even has a hard disc at a friend's in case there is a fire or flood, tells us that if it did happen - unlikely bearing in mind his caution. he would simply inform them that he wasn't paying up because he had not lost any data. he reckons they would then give up.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Hope » November 29th, 2016, 10:56 am

EM - mine is bad in phases. It is at the moment again.
Hope
Registered

Postby aero280 » November 29th, 2016, 5:53 pm

Just received a scam e-mail from "Apple iTunes", which when looked at in detail comes from "info@mahjamjan.com" :rolleyes:

It says "If you have purchased an album by Adele in the last 24 hours, do nothing, otherwise contact (a fake Apple website) that looks plausible. Just don't!!
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby miss mouse » November 29th, 2016, 9:23 pm

Goodness, that looks a bit rubbish as scams go.

Keep alert everyone. It is good to be reminded of this stuff.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 29th, 2016, 11:20 pm

aero280 wrote: It says "If you have purchased an album by Adele in the last 24 hours, do nothing, otherwise contact (a fake Apple website) that looks plausible. Just don't!!

... and had you bought an album by Adele in the last 24 hours?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby aero280 » November 29th, 2016, 11:56 pm

Not me! :D Neither had OH...
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Pepper Pig » November 30th, 2016, 7:28 am

I love Adele :luv: :luv: :luv: but I buy CDs as I can't stand listening to stuff through those nasty plug-in headphones. I had the same scam Aero but mine said I had purchased an album by Kanye West! :o :o :o

As if! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Busybee » November 30th, 2016, 7:57 am

I don't know PP, I can see you as a closet Kanye fan :terrified:

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 30th, 2016, 8:54 am

They are clearly matching artist to recipient! :lol:

I never wear headphones PP. I can play ipod in the car and in the house without - but would much prefer it if they still made cars with CD and cassette players :rolleyes: ,
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Hope » November 30th, 2016, 2:49 pm

I just got an email titled "Can you imagine making hundreds of thousands a month?" It made me think of those cake sprinkles! I'd be more likely to make those, than that much money. And I don't even like them! :lol:
Hope
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 2nd, 2016, 12:02 pm

Hope wrote:EM - mine is bad in phases. It is at the moment again.

Mine has started now too :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 2nd, 2016, 12:08 pm

I got one today from StandardBank.alerts - subject : Online Payment alert .

I have just bought something online, but don't want to open this up for details in case it is a scam, so it is trashed ... (or should I have put in in my scam folder ?)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 2nd, 2016, 1:04 pm

earthmaiden wrote:They are clearly matching artist to recipient! :lol:

I never wear headphones PP. I can play ipod in the car and in the house without - but would much prefer it if they still made cars with CD and cassette players :rolleyes: ,

Here here. No way of getting music in our present car.

We had a call from someone saying that our additional health insurance was invalid and we should submit our bank details IMMEDIATELY to reinstate it. We have an insurance broker who we know personally, it was't him, because he has a slight speech defect. Mr R told the caller he would ring him back on the number he has and added, on another phone so don't think you can intercept it. The phone immediately went dead. He actually emailed Laurent who called back to say it was a new and worrying scam but we had made a note of the numbercalled so passed it on - It was from Bolivia :terrified: :terrified: :terrified:
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 2nd, 2016, 1:10 pm

If I get a missed call or a silent call from a number I don't recognise I use number recall and then put that number into Google - quite often it will reveal that it's from a regular scammer.

However, I had a missed call the other day and when I put the number into Google it revealed that it was the AA. That reminded me that I needed to contact them about not reinstating my cover as I'm going to remain with Green Flag. I rang them and cancelled ... phew! :D
“One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating.”― Luciano Pavarotti
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 5th, 2016, 6:00 pm

Just had an interesting phone call. A recorded message saying that my credit card (no description) had been compromised and I must press '1' now to rectify it.

Really sick of these things, so many of the phone and email things I have had lately have been quite realistic and it is the most gullible members of our society who still trust people are most likely to fall for them.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 5th, 2016, 7:29 pm

We had a panic call from Kai, our Danish friend. he managed to open a Ransomeware link and his 6 week-old computer is now completely useless. To fix it would cost more than the computer cost.

I don't know how many times we have told him, that if you don't know what it is then don't open it. Lesson back everything up every day I suppose - what a drag :? :?

It's OK to be smug isn't it but it seems sooner or later they will get to you.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby miss mouse » December 15th, 2016, 1:17 pm

Neighbourhood Watch is warning about speeding fine e mails scam, supposedly from a police force. Ignore them.

I mention it because it is helpful to be reminded.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Riocaz » December 15th, 2016, 6:47 pm

Ratatouille wrote:We had a panic call from Kai, our Danish friend. he managed to open a Ransomeware link and his 6 week-old computer is now completely useless. To fix it would cost more than the computer cost.

I don't know how many times we have told him, that if you don't know what it is then don't open it. Lesson back everything up every day I suppose - what a drag :? :?

If it's 6 weeks old and they don't NEED any documents on it just restore to factory settings.
Board Admin and general dogsbody

It's always a good idea to follow the directions exactly the first time you try a recipe. But from then on, you're on your own. -- James Beard

Onwards and Downwards!
Can't login? Please try this: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13153
Riocaz
Site Admin

Postby StokeySue » January 13th, 2017, 12:30 pm

Slight variant
I am getting phone and mail telling me my appliance breakdown cover has expired and it is vital that I renew it

The guy who claimed to be from "Sky" was rude - he told me my cover had expired (is there any such thing? Surely it's in the monthly fee?) I said I doubted this was significant as I don't have Sky - to which he snapped at me "Since when?!" - well I have never had Sky so I told him so and slammed the phone down

I have had genuine emails and one phone call when the free appliance cover has expired - in my experience it is always precise, along the lines of "your Hotpoint washing machine purchased on 10 May 2014", often even model number, and the retailer

If it is vague, or you don't remember it, be very suspicious, I assume they are trying to get a card number to "continue the payments"
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby icelesley » January 13th, 2017, 12:43 pm

The latest here is no longer Microsoft help centre, it has changed to BT...your router is faulty, do this on your computer then this which installs software which supposedly gives them access to your router :shock: NO CHANCE. I said can you give me the account number, oh, we don't need that.. OH yes you do, BT do not do anything without your account number, then they put the phone down. We had 4 calls from them within a couple of hours at the weekend. The fact that we have one of the new routers that BT can accesss anyway automatically without needing to touch your computer, also if there is a problem it notifies BT itsself has nothing to do with it.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby miss mouse » January 13th, 2017, 1:14 pm

How annoying.

I had one telling me I had had an accident, must still be concussed as I have no memory of it.

Did you hear You & Yours today? A lot of calls about people qualifying for a free gas boiler replacement allegedly a government scheme. Yeah right.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 13th, 2017, 1:52 pm

Riocaz wrote:
Ratatouille wrote:We had a panic call from Kai, our Danish friend. he managed to open a Ransomeware link and his 6 week-old computer is now completely useless. To fix it would cost more than the computer cost.

If it's 6 weeks old and they don't NEED any documents on it just restore to factory settings.

Lee thanks, that is what we had deduced but he is danish and his computer came to him from there. His son set it up for him and I'm afraid he jsut doesn't understand . Only solution seems to wait untilthe family come for Easter.Mr Rats went with him to our local computer service place -usually quite efficient but then can't cope with the Danish. If he could manage in French or English all would be wellm but I'm afraid he is a bit of a lost cause :lol: .
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Gruney » January 13th, 2017, 1:58 pm

Over the past week, I've had 4 emails from HMRC Business Help and Support - thanking me for completing my on line tax return (as an individual, not a business) and telling me I owed unpaid tax, and to make payment before Jan 31st - or else. The message opens with - "Dear Customer" as opposed to Dear Mr xxxxx. It all looks very official, and there is a website you are directed to, in order to proceed - but somehow it doesn't smell quite right.

Anyone else experienced this?
Gruney
Registered

Postby miss mouse » January 13th, 2017, 2:02 pm

I had one purporting to come from HMRC to claim my tax refund, click here...

It looked convincing at first glance but how would HMRC get my e mail? I haven't given it to them.

I doubt that it is genuine.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Gruney » January 13th, 2017, 2:09 pm

Thanks miss mouse.
Gruney
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 13th, 2017, 2:42 pm

IT IS A SCAM!!! HMRC do not do tax refunds by email - I know some usually sensible people who have been caught by this.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/pers ... mails.html
“One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating.”― Luciano Pavarotti
suffolk
Registered

Postby Gruney » January 13th, 2017, 3:43 pm

Thanks Suffs - they are saying I owe them money. I think I may do - about £1 - I assume this is beacause my charity givings vary from year to year. It's extremely convincing; and had me quite worried until I thought it throughh a bit more.
Gruney
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 13th, 2017, 4:14 pm

If you're unsure Gruney, contact HMRC by snail mail or telephone using the standard phone number - you'll have to be prepared for a long wait, but at least you'll know who you're talking to.
:)
suffolk
Registered

Postby Gruney » January 13th, 2017, 5:30 pm

The last time I tried to phone them - I found it difficult to hit on a number, I managed to contact a gay dating agency.
Gruney
Registered

Postby miss mouse » January 13th, 2017, 9:01 pm

Gruney wrote:It's extremely convincing; and had me quite worried until I thought it throughh a bit more.

It is worrying however sensible we are usually.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 14th, 2017, 10:10 am

I'm sure that if you do owe them £1+ they'll eventually be in touch in writing on paper :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby miss mouse » January 14th, 2017, 11:12 am

Oh yes Suffs, most certainly.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby aero280 » February 4th, 2017, 4:58 pm

I have just received another phishing scam e-mail pretending to come from Apple. I claimed to be an invoice for a monthly subscription of £6.99/month to the "iCloud drive" storage. It followed closely on a genuine purchase from the Apple Store. Very similar in nature to the ones that follow any communication with HMRC. Those ask you to log-in to claim a refund of tax...
aero280
Site Admin

Postby aero280 » February 4th, 2017, 4:58 pm

I have just received another phishing scam e-mail pretending to come from Apple. It claimed to be an invoice for a monthly subscription of £6.99/month to the "iCloud drive" storage. It followed closely on a genuine purchase from the Apple Store. Very similar in nature to the ones that follow any communication with HMRC. Those ask you to log-in to claim a refund of tax...
aero280
Site Admin

Postby miss mouse » February 4th, 2017, 5:41 pm

Thanks for the warning aero.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » February 5th, 2017, 3:46 pm

Ratatouille wrote:
Riocaz wrote:

Lee thanks, that is what we had deduced but he is danish and his computer came to him from there. His son set it up for him and I'm afraid he jsut doesn't understand . Only solution seems to wait untilthe family come for Easter.Mr Rats went with him to our local computer service place -usually quite efficient but then can't cope with the Danish. If he could manage in French or English all would be wellm but I'm afraid he is a bit of a lost cause :lol: .

We got him sorted as suggested. Mr rats knows enough Danish and German to get him back to where he started and he is up and going again.

But, word of warning. i have a brand new HP Windows 10 computer and have struggled soemwhat to get to grips. Mr R insisted that the first thing I did was to install security, which he did for me. The first problem that popped up was an attempt at ransome. I felt as if I could thmb my nose at them. Thank goodness for a computer literate husband, :luv:
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » February 5th, 2017, 3:49 pm

Ratatouille wrote:
Riocaz wrote:

We got him sorted as suggested. Mr Rats knows enough Danish and German to get him back to where he started and he is up and going again.

But, word of warning. i have a brand new HP Windows 10 computer and have struggled some what to get to grips. Mr R insisted that the first thing I did was to install security, which he did for me. The first problem that popped up was an attempt at a ransome demand. I felt as if I could thmb my nose at them. Thank goodness for a computer literate husband, :luv:
Ratatouille
Registered

Next

Return to The Coffee Shop