Another Scam

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Another Scam

Postby aero280 » April 29th, 2017, 4:17 pm

When I worked for the council, we used to go round knocking on doors in villages to get access to survey the septic tanks in the back garden.

House one...

The door was answered at 2.30pm by a lady in a dressing gown. After my speil, I got the reply "You can do what you want as long as you don't want to come into the house".

Next door house...

"Do what you need to. Oh! Did her next door answer? Has she got her fancy man round again?" :o
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby scullion » May 4th, 2017, 2:21 pm

just in case you haven't heard of the google docs scam it may be wise to gen up http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2 ... ng-attack/ and avoid it.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 5th, 2017, 9:54 am

Just had a call from a young lady claiming to be from Telephone Preference Services Management, if her English had been marginally better, she'd have been pretty convincing.

Her schtick was that as the regular Telephone Preference Service, TPS, hadn't succeeded in blocking all unsolicited calls, they would set up an exchange level block for me, I think if I had stayed with it a fee would have been required. I pointed out that she was an unsolicited caller, but her English wasn't up to that level of negotiation off script

While she was talking I navigated to the TPS website FAQ page, and this is a common scam, aimed at getting money from you (of course!)

Just to reiterate, TPS do not spontaneously call registered numbers any more than Microsoft technical services do
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby miss mouse » May 5th, 2017, 10:45 am

StokeySue wrote: in blocking all unsolicited calls, they would set up an exchange level block for me,

On You & Yours earlier in the week there was an item on BT having beefed up its call screening service, perhaps this is the scammers fighting back.

Edit to add: Thanks for the warning.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby aero280 » May 5th, 2017, 12:47 pm

We had a scam call recently. We told him to go away as we were on TPS. The reply was "I'm sorry, but we have taken legal advice and TPS is illegal. It's a restraint on trade." :o :o :o :o
aero280
Site Admin

Postby scullion » May 25th, 2017, 9:01 am

i can't believe the amount of stuff i must have ordered from amazon (.com not .co.uk) lately. i must be doing it in my sleep and cancelling the order straight away - although, strangely enough, they aren't confirming my order - just it's cancellation. when i look at the source code it doesn't seem like things i would've (could've) ordered - strange, that.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 25th, 2017, 9:12 am

One that amuses me is the number of friend requests I get on FB from mature men, usually in the US military, but occasionally on offshore rigs
They follow a pattern, no FB friends apart from the occasional shy looking woman, no real details
I decline
I assume they are trying to get enough info about me to set up a sting, I looked at one in detail because I wasn't sure if he was a complete stranger or someone I'd met at a tournament, now I look at them trying to spot the pattern. Tournament acquaintances I regard as safe if they have multiple friends I know well (I don't always recognise the surname if I didn't play them)
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 25th, 2017, 9:15 am

This is an official government scam.

Mr Rats lost his wallet. he reported it to the local gendarmerie and after 5 days was given a receipt and advised to apply for a new passport to enable him to reapply for driving permit etc.

Last friday he went on line re the passport - to the official site. before he was able to download ths form he had to pay up front. he couldn't send it off until Monday to enable him to get his photo oversigned. On Sunday the wallet was handed back to him by the bakers wife - she had had it all the time!

On Monday he rang the passport office to ask how to apply for a refund as he no longer needed a new one. He was told there were no refunds because "There are no mechanisms to do this"
British Gvernment £90+ Mr Rats 0.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby mum-at-the-oven » May 25th, 2017, 9:24 am

We are registered with TPS but still get a barrage of calls from overseas which I know can't be stopped with TPS

Yesterday I counted 7

First was for reducing the cost of my tv insurance from £7 to £5 - all they needed was for me to set up a dd. I don't have specific tv insurance.
Second and third was asking me about unwanted phone calls where I could buy some appliance to stop them - The irony.
Fourth was from Talk Talk telling me my computer had been hacked - don't have Talk Talk

5th, 6th and 7th heard some unsavoury language

I never respond to any of these calls so I wonder why we get so many?!
mum-at-the-oven
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 25th, 2017, 10:22 am

I rarely get any of these calls and wonder if it is because I have always been ex-directory ... :?:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby capricornbcaroline » May 25th, 2017, 10:53 am

Re Mr Rats's problem I wonder if it would be worth making a complaint to the passport office. I see that the online guide says
We cannot usually refund the fee if your application
is unsuccessful or withdrawn. This is because we will
already have carried out a lot of work in processing it.
. However they also say
We will not begin processing the application
until we receive a signed and completed
declaration form along with the appropriate
supporting documents and photographs.
As they didn't receive the form they can't have done any work on it can they? The complaints address is
Complaints about passports
1 Step one
If you have a complaint about how we handled your
passport application, please contact our Customer
Contact Centre by phone, in writing or by using our
online enquiry form.
Phone
: +44 (0)300 222 0000
Write to
:
HM Passport Office
PO Box 767
SOUTHPORT
PR8 9PW
United Kingdom
capricornbcaroline
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 25th, 2017, 11:44 am

capricornbcaroline is quite right. Go on with the fight! As I have mentioned before, it took them 9 months and a lot of inconvenience on my part for me to get my last passport. To suggest that in a period of a few days they ' will already have carried out a lot of work in processing it' is a load of tosh.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 25th, 2017, 11:55 am

Thanks a lot. He'll give it a try.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby scullion » June 3rd, 2017, 1:25 am

when will my bout of cancelling orders from amazon.com end‽‽‽
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 21st, 2017, 12:28 pm

Odd one for Facebook users
I saw a a post apparently shared by a former colleague
It seemed odd that anyone whose working life is devoted to clinical research would post one of these ridiculous rants about how cancer doesn't exist, it's an invention of the medical establishment, all you need is laetrile (laetrile being a candidate for most discredited 'medicine' in history)
At least she wouldn't have posted it without a joke or a rant
Then I noticed I had apparently shared this piece of toxic tosh, I was pretty sure I hadn't so I went to my activity log to delete it and noticed
1. The original post is nearly two years old
2. Although the counter says it has thousands of comments, only two new ones are visible both positive
3. My activity log claimed I had started following the author of the tosh the day before I saw the post
So this seems to be another version of the hijacking programs.
I have reported to FB as well as I can, given their ridiculous report categories
Just a little worrying, and I do wonder if someone in my network was targeted because of our professional interests. Or if it's just a particularly rubbish bit of FB spam.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » June 22nd, 2017, 1:43 pm

I have just received an e-mail in to Mr. Z's e-mail address, addressed to my name, my address and my mobile number. Telling me that my order has been despatched and the link to my order is below.

To my knowledge I have not ordered anything recently. The email seems to have come from customer.complaints@deskjobblog.com can't find anything about them online.

Sounds fishy and some typos too.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby icelesley » June 22nd, 2017, 2:10 pm

DELETE IT, DO NOT OPEN IT. :tu:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 22nd, 2017, 2:27 pm

Don't know about other email providers, but my Hotmail/Microsoft Outlook account gives me the option of, rather than deleting a scam email like that, forwarding it to them as a Phishing Scam where it adds to their info and helps them in their efforts to stop them.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 22nd, 2017, 2:46 pm

I think I had one from 'BT' two days ago. Husband and I spent about an hour worrying about it and trying to chase this £750 online bill (couldn't remember the log in details). Still not sure if it was a scam, and if so how it worked. It wasn't asking for money or details, but here was was link which (I perhaps foolishly clicked and which) seemed to go to a genuine BT site. Were they after the password?

Causes for doubt: it pertained to a business account
it referred to a CEO who is not googleable
there was no way we could have racked up such a bill

But it looked genuine. I am perplexed by it. Could someone have used my email address to open an account?

I emailed BT, but no response. I also changed my password.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 22nd, 2017, 3:02 pm

Could it have been anything to do with this?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2 ... re-attack/
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » June 22nd, 2017, 3:03 pm

Herb, I was just chatting (online) with Which about my problem and whilst on the internet (can't find it now :rolleyes: ) there was an article about a new BT scam.

I have just reported my problem to Action Fraud. I am advised to do a credit check on www.noodle.co.uk that should help me find out if we have been scammed.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 22nd, 2017, 3:21 pm

It simply said that my new (massive) bill was available to see online (with a link to click on to view it). No information or money was requested. As I said it looked very convincing and I do receive such emails from BT from time to time as I don't get paper bills.

We've run virus scanners since.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » June 22nd, 2017, 3:32 pm

If I do find it, I will post the link here for you..
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 22nd, 2017, 4:17 pm

Thank you!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 22nd, 2017, 4:19 pm

Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 22nd, 2017, 4:24 pm

Question is what do I do now?
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 22nd, 2017, 4:41 pm

Forward it to phishing@bt.com
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » June 22nd, 2017, 4:52 pm

That'll be the badger !
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » June 28th, 2017, 12:23 pm

I keep getting emails from EHIC telling me my E111 card is about to expire, which it isn't. Is this a scam or is it just to pre-empt Brexit? They want £24.99 and I don't remember paying anything in the past.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby mum-at-the-oven » June 28th, 2017, 12:27 pm

There's the scam PP. You don't pay for an EHIC
mum-at-the-oven
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » June 29th, 2017, 1:58 pm

I had a call earlier from a bank questioning me about my personal details. While I was in hospital my sister was my appointee, they wanted her personal details, but I do not bank with this bank. They are supposedly ringing me back later for sister's details. Me and Sis have agreed I should ignore. Could be a scam particularly as the line of work she is in. Things are ticking over quite nicely with my actual bank so this lot, whoever they are, can do one.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 4th, 2017, 9:17 am

From Web.Fillings@companieshousecomplaint.co.uk....

Apparently this one contains a bank detail skimming trojan. It had a word doc attached. It came to work and all word docs are turned into pdfs hopefully 'neutering' it. Not opened it either way.
Last edited by Herbidacious on July 4th, 2017, 9:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » July 4th, 2017, 9:25 am

i always look at the source code if there's an email from someone i don't recognise or that looks dodgy. then i report it and delete without opening.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 4th, 2017, 9:31 am

Yes indeed.

This one is unlikely to entice anyone unless they own a company I suspect. They sent it to everyone in the office, it transpires!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 4th, 2017, 10:29 am

scullion wrote:i always look at the source code if there's an email from someone i don't recognise or that looks dodgy. then i report it and delete without opening.

same here :tu:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » July 4th, 2017, 10:33 am

With the E111 scam the source code looked as though it could have been genuine.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 4th, 2017, 10:39 am

How do you look at the source code? Do you mean right click or something else? This one was not concealing it's identity anyway, but then it's not from a familiar (such as BT), and thus needing to be disguised entity.

As I said, clearly I did not click on this anyway. I only mentioned it in case anyone else got something similar as it's a very dangerous one...

The answer is just not to open any attachment. I don't think the email itself can be dangerous... can it? I can't not open emails at work, although I am very well protected there. At home, well...

edit: a quick google does not reveal a definitive answer to that question. The IT at person probably could give me one though!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 4th, 2017, 10:46 am

Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » July 10th, 2017, 11:53 am

I have had a couple of these (different names) on my iPhone. Am assuming pressing the buttons continues the scam?

Please tell all the contacts in your messenger list not to accept Jayden K. Smith friendship request. He is a hacker and has the system connected to your Facebook account. If one of your contacts accepts it, you will also be hacked, so make sure that all your friends know it. Thanks. Forwarded as received.
Hold your finger down on the message. At the bottom in the middle it will say forward. Hit that then click on the names of those in your list and it will send to them
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 10th, 2017, 12:32 pm

I have a theory. No email (no need currently), tape letterbox shut, disregard unknown phone callers. Peace is restored in an instance. If anyone wants to scam me face to face be my guest.
Sorry to anyone facing a scam. These people should face justice but seem to keep getting away with it.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 10th, 2017, 12:40 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:I have had a couple of these (different names) on my iPhone. Am assuming pressing the buttons continues the scam?

Please tell all the contacts in your messenger list not to accept Jayden K. Smith friendship request. He is a hacker and has the system connected to your Facebook account. If one of your contacts accepts it, you will also be hacked, so make sure that all your friends know it. Thanks. Forwarded as received.
Hold your finger down on the message. At the bottom in the middle it will say forward. Hit that then click on the names of those in your list and it will send to them

I had this message from 3 of my FB friends this morning ... I have ignored all of them !
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » July 10th, 2017, 1:19 pm

The two who sent it to me have just posted it was a hoax. :rolleyes:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 10th, 2017, 3:58 pm

Just got another one ... :? :rolleyes:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » July 20th, 2017, 12:24 pm

I have been on the phone to the Halifax for the last hour. They phoned me to say there was some unusual activity on my account. I phoned them back on the number I had and yes, they were genuinely the Halifax. I thought the unusual activity was that I'd had a £700 tax rebate. :lol: That had happened but they were mostly concerned with a transaction this morning for £0.00. Apparently this is a fraud where the individuals concerned run a dummy through your account to see if it's genuine. The pain of it is that I've had to change all my security settings and am waiting for a new card but full marks to the bank for spotting it straight away.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby miss mouse » July 20th, 2017, 12:45 pm

What a nuisance for you. Thanks for the reminder.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 20th, 2017, 1:29 pm

That's terrible PP but good job your bank were on the ball enough to flag it with you. I would never have thought of being wary of a £0.00 transaction. What lengths they will go to. Are you in a position to stop it happening further from same scanner? I presume your bank now has steps in place?
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby scullion » July 20th, 2017, 1:51 pm

Herbidacious wrote:How do you look at the source code? Do you mean right click or something else?

it's an option in a hotmail account when you tick the box and right click. you can then report it as a phishing scam if necessary.
scullion
Registered

Postby aero280 » August 1st, 2017, 11:22 pm

It can be a problem with these small amounts in accounts. Some of them are genuine. We had a problem a while back with a retailer who offered a "Free three month introductory offer". No money was taken until the three months was up, but they put through a £1 transaction on our credit card and then refunded it. Quite reasonably, they wanted to check that the details we had given them were genuine and the money would be available when it was due. The card company put a temporary stop on the account until they had contacted us.

Another, non-scam, that causes concern on credit cards is that some petrol retailers put a minimum time and distance on repeated use of a credit card. So if you use a card for buying petrol, you can't use it again at that store or nearby ones for a few hours. That's a problem if you and your wife share a card and turn up at Tesco within an hour of eachother! :rolleyes: The cashier assumes that you have no credit, which is awkward as it's his/their problem really.
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Zosherooney » September 4th, 2017, 7:29 am

We received today a supposed e-mail from Paypal saying that Google Play was charging us a few hundred £ and that we had 5 days to challenge it. It looked real and had our e-mail address but I was not sure if Mr. Z. had 'done' something for my Birthday so contacted Paypal and asked the question. Two mins later we had a personalised reply saying yes, it was a scam SO BEWARE !!
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby dennispc » September 4th, 2017, 8:12 am

We belong to TPS and BT's 1572 - enabling us to block calls from certain numbers but only after they've called you. The buggers have got round that. Last couple of calls we've had, tapped in to block any future calls only to be told 'we do not have the details for this number'. :twisted:
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop