Another Scam

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Another Scam

Postby earthmaiden » February 2nd, 2018, 8:49 am

I think it's very sad but I too rarely answer calls from unknown numbers these days. I get two unwanted calls daily from the people who ring from lots of different numbers round the country so you can't block them and there is one that calls from an innocent looking mobile number. My house phone doesn't have caller display and even when I had that facility Virgin charge extra for it so I didn't bother :evil: . Most bona fide people will leave a message and then I call them back.

To think that people are afraid of answering thier own telephones these days is a disgrace.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 2nd, 2018, 8:56 am

Calls from India will have to be answered as DS is likely to be on tour there later this year ...
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 2nd, 2018, 9:05 am

We've had this conversation before
Life's too short not to answer phone calls, to me it's too much faff to fret about whose number it is. A significant proportion of unrecognised numbers turn out to be someone trying to arrange a delivery or a meter reading or some other useful thing. And in mum's last years I never used to know who from the home, the GP practice, council social services etc. might legitimately call me, not answering would only have prevented them from doing their necessary jobs. It seems to me easier just to pick it up and take it from there.

There's another thing, I keep seeing and hearing reports of people, mainly women of all ages, who become so scared they insulate themselves from the outside world, don't answer the phone, hide rather than answer the door etc. To me, once you have done that your quality of life is so poor you might as well shoot yourself. I bought a phone as a means of communication, I intend to communicate. I will not allow unnecessary fears to back me into a lonely little cornet
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 2nd, 2018, 9:14 am

Hear! Hear! Sue :tu: After all ... it's very easy to put the phone back down again :D

However, I think all lonely little cornets should be befriended and asked to join the band ;)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » February 2nd, 2018, 9:18 am

Sue, you talk such a lot of sense!!!
I suppose I feel a lot like you, but it’s so nice see it in words.
Anyway, sometimes when I get get PPI calls, or whatever, if I have time and I’m in the mood, I quite enjoy stringing the callers along.
I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t get caught out by an outright scam call. Just yesterday I had someone from my bank ( or maybe not) asking if my latest bank card had arrived...I am due one...I just asked her to write to me about it.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby aero280 » February 2nd, 2018, 10:34 am

Not quite a scam, but there are letters coming in now about free home eye tests and home delivery pharmacy services on NHS headed paper and enclosed in NHS envelopes with the blue NHS logo.

They come from legitimate NHS “service providers”. The bits of the NHS that has been privatised and outsourced. The
NHS bit is emphasised and the name of the service provider isn’t.

If you accept this there is no knowing what the follow up will be and how much high pressure selling will be made. If they take this approach, they will be in your house, so you can’t just walk out. It’s a privatised service, it won’t be altruistic, someone somewhere will be on commission, most likely the person talking to you.

If you have a housebound relative, something like this could seem attractive, but I would be wary of letting someone like this into a house without someone in attendance for support.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby miss mouse » February 2nd, 2018, 11:14 am

That's useful to know Aero. I think I got one for pharmacy services when there is a pharmacy on the doorstep. It might have included ear testing as well.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby dennispc » February 2nd, 2018, 12:33 pm

I've had the same experience aero280 - didn't think to mention it.

After my pre-op for cataract, the next day I received one of those about eye tests in your home. Easy for me to ignore but you're right about once in your home ....
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 2nd, 2018, 12:57 pm

Just as well to be aware :tu: ........ although eye tests in the home were a godsend for my Aged Ps when they were both in wheelchairs and the local opticians just wasn't accessible enough for them ... the staff at the Lovely Home supervised everything and it turned out brilliantly.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 2nd, 2018, 4:21 pm

If you need delivery of repeat prescriptions ask the pharmacy you already use and preferably one that works closely with your GP. They don't all do it but my parents had their meds packaged in Nomads (the calendar trays) and delivered by the local private NHS contracted pharmacy shop.
If you need services such as home visits by opticians may be worth asking local branch of Age UK for names, or even finding out who does the local care homes
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 2nd, 2018, 5:32 pm

Wise words Aero and Sue. The home services for opticians etc are brilliant for those who need them but it is wise to get them on recommendation or referral. Ex MIL used to take pleasure in inviting them all, deciding which she liked and then forgetting which one it was. This meant that when a rival contacted her again (by phone, she was deaf so phone calls were difficult at the best of times) she didn't know on the spur of the moment if it was the one she liked or not :rolleyes: :rolleyes:. It caused no end of problems.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » February 2nd, 2018, 5:56 pm

If the land line rings it's my pal in Scotland or a sales call.
Pal speaks to the machine and I pick up, everyone else rings me on the mobile.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » February 4th, 2018, 10:56 am

There is a version of the Nigerian Letter going around Cyprus, it purports to come from a firm of British solicitors asking for help with claim relating to one of the passengers killed in the Malaysian Airlines disaster. Someone here has checked, the solicitors do exist, the details have been e mailed to that firm

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » February 5th, 2018, 4:57 pm

Just had a call from "BT Openreach".
A heavily accented gent called Bob (or Phil, or John) called and said BT had identified a problem with our router, as they are working on our exchange. Wanted me to run a test on our internet. Once there, they would probably 'offer' to take it over remotely, to 'check' your broadband speed.
Called BT and identified the scam.
Also checked with the useful website, 'who called me'.
The scammer's number doesn't actually exist, but if you do i471, it comes back as

02190 453342

So if they call YOU, hang up pronto!
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby icelesley » February 8th, 2018, 3:20 pm

We get that one at least 3 times a week. The latest one today is an automated maessage from HMRC, we are taking out a lawsuit against you please press 1....Mmmm let me think.....NO
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby aero280 » February 15th, 2018, 5:24 pm

Just had a call from "Detective Sergeant Green at New Scotland Yard" regarding "possible fraudulent withdrawal of £700 in Manchester".

They keep trying! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
aero280
Site Admin

Postby miss mouse » February 15th, 2018, 6:07 pm

That's a corker. Hasn't New Scotland Yard been sold to overseas investors? I am old enough to remember the excitement/brou-ha-ha when it was built.

Now if Dixon of Dock Green had called...I might be tempted.

I think that 'impersonating a police officer' is up there with big crime. We probably only have have a dozen Police Officers left so probably best not to bother them on balance.

The 'green deal' rang again today. I have no idea what they were offering. Snake oil I expect.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 15th, 2018, 6:37 pm

Because I changed my name by deed poll several years ago and because they purchase out of date lists, most of the few nuisance calls we get ask for my former self ....... It's quite fun to say quite legitimately, when they ask for Mrs Bosanquet-Smythe, "I'm sorry, she doesn't live here. Yes, I am absolutely sure ... I've had this phone number for over twenty years." :hi5:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 16th, 2018, 7:47 am

Crikey, I feel like I am missing out on all the potential fun! I'm obviously off the scammers' radar. I don't expect it will last long. :bounce:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 16th, 2018, 7:57 am

Be careful what you wish for Tezza!!! :lol:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby aero280 » February 16th, 2018, 8:41 am

After yesterday’s call, we contacted the local neighbourhood watch controller. He advised us to report the conversation to the police “Action Fraud” website. They are collecting the names the scammers use, in order to try and find them and to add to warning information,

Apparently the call from “Scotland Yard” is the one that is followed up by a request to “confirm your identity” by giving the card PIN number, then a courier being sent to collect your card which you have been asked to cut in half.

If you are suspicious, they tell you to call the police and check that the call is genuine. They don’t hang up on the phone keeping the call to them open and so your call to the “police” means you are still talking to them. A worrying new development is that they now play a recording of a dialling tone, instead of the line being silent, when you go to redial to the “police”.

Take care!

https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby miss mouse » February 16th, 2018, 8:55 am

There have been several warning leaflets about this from the police and articles in the local papers in my area over the years. It must be unpleasant to be on the receiving end, the call I got from 'The Microsoft Laboratory' was strangely spooky and unsettling.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 16th, 2018, 9:14 am

Presumably if you hit the red button (if you have one) as I always do at the end of a call, whoever ends it, that cuts them off, aero?
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 16th, 2018, 9:17 am

p.s. I often tell the 'There is not Mrs W at this address' as I am not legally called Mrs W. But sometimes it is just easier to say 'I am not really interested.' I haven't had any calls whilst I have been stuck at home for the last 8 days, or indeed for the two days prior to this when I was working from home, astonishingly.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 16th, 2018, 9:17 am

As I understand it, the person who made the call ends the call ... it's still connected until they hang up. That's certainly the way it used to work.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby miss mouse » February 16th, 2018, 9:23 am

suffolk wrote:As I understand it, the person who made the call ends the call ... it's still connected until they hang up. That's certainly the way it used to work.

My understanding as well Suffs. The Police advice was to use a different phone line to call them. I suppose the quick-thinking could play along while another calls the Police who with luck would catch the courier.

Interesting that this has begun again and useful to be reminded.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » February 16th, 2018, 9:44 am

We had a strange call from MSF, one of the chairties we support yesterday. At least it was said to be from them though how they have our phone number we couldn't work out as we are ex-directory. It was a very well spoken woman who started a long speech about thier work and then asked for a donation using a card over the phone. Mr R said that we never ever do that and we had upped our donation quite recently but before he could add anything else the line went dead.

He emailed MSF to ask why they had not written and how they knew our number? We have just had a reply saying it was a scam and they never ever cold call anyone, which is what we have always understood. WE had made a note of the number that called and we have passed it on. Absolute scum.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 16th, 2018, 10:18 am

suffolk wrote:As I understand it, the person who made the call ends the call ... it's still connected until they hang up. That's certainly the way it used to work.

I think it did once, but given the number of times my mother has failed to end her side of her call, and I have been able to go on to make other calls, I think this might have changed. Of course my mother might have made another call and not ended that one properly to make her engaged... It's a silly way of doing things if it hasn't changed.
However I read this:

Analog exchanges (certainly (*1) Strowger exchanges in the UK, probably others elsewhere) did not permit the called party to clear the line (hang up). My understanding of the original reason for this is that the calling party was paying the bill, and there was no effective signalling (pre digital exchanges) up the line (from called party to calling party) to terminate the billing. Remember on long distance calls these calls were patched through manually. This could be used (and relied on) by those receiving calls, e.g. to hang up and pick up the phone elsewhere. I believe this to be the case universally in original analog exchanges (i.e. in every country). This feature is called Called Subscriber Held (CSH).

When digital exchanges came in in the UK, some people had come to rely on being able to hang up and pick up the phone elsewhere, and BT (well, the GPO as it was then) maintained this feature. All modern exchanges have a configuration knob or two ("Called Party Clear" and "Called Party Clear Timeout") which determines whether, and after how long, the called party can clear the call. BT have in recent times set this knob to 3 minutes. This knob has been a feature of System X, System Y (aka Eriksson AXE10) and 21CN phone exchanges. BT use a much shorter timeout on POTS lines configured for analog PABXs. The called party can clear automatically on ISDN2 and ISDN30, and also on mobile and VoIP.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 16th, 2018, 10:20 am

How you find out what type of exchange you have, I have no idea. But the message seems to be, wait a few minutes.

I do remember now putting a phone down (in corded days) so that I could go and pick up another one elsewhere without ending the call.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby aero280 » February 16th, 2018, 10:53 am

I think there's a time limit now which will reset the line if you are the receiver of the call and hang up. But not if you are the caller. At least, not a couple a years ago. We had one call that was billed for a couple of hours. It turned out that the handset had not been replaced properly... :oops:
aero280
Site Admin

Postby miss mouse » February 22nd, 2018, 4:39 pm

Tidying the Spam box I found a message from HMRCUK full of bad spelling, 'Click here and complete the form to receive £330 GBP tax refund'.

Also my Amazon account was about to be suspended...again...
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Busybee » February 27th, 2018, 3:29 pm

My 75 year old father has just been scammed..............by a blind 96 year old!

As the snow is quite bad around here Dad went to check on D next door who is almost completely blind, 96 years young and only able to get out on a mobility scooter. He was checking if she needed any shopping doing........she didn’t but she was very anxious as she had an old £10 note which she was worried she wouldn’t get spent before Thursday. Dad kindly swopped it for a new style tenner and came back home. I volunteered to take it to the bank whilst walking the dog.......Dad pulled his wallet out and gave me the tenner..........except it wasn’t a tenner he had accepted a ten bob note! Worryingly he hadn’t noticed as they are the same colour!

We all had a good laugh and he took it back round to D, explaining it was actually a ten bob note, and we didn’t know but it might be worth something, and to get her daughter to check when she is next visiting.

Scammers come in all shapes and sizes! :lol: :lol:

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby miss mouse » February 28th, 2018, 12:58 am

Oh my goodness, they are crafty to the end these scammers. That is funny.

10/-, riches at one time, I think my weekly spends after rent, food, OK I had board and lodge deducted and 10/- a week was 'disposable income'. Riches.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » March 15th, 2018, 6:55 am

I am not sure what to do or who to contact. I received this e-mail below this morning. I have taken my friends names out, but they flew over the pond to see a newborn grandson last week....

I hope that you are well.

M & I made a trip to Istanbul, Turkey for a dream vacation, unfortunately we were mugged at the park of the hotel we are staying, all our cash, bank cards and mobile phones was stolen off us but luckily we still have our passports with us, M was hurt while trying to protect us and he is presently at the hospital.

I have been to the embassy and reported to the police here but their response was too casual, I have also made contact with my bank but it would take me 3-5 working days to access funds in my account, the bad news is our flight will be leaving very soon but I am having problems settling M. medical bills(already pawned all our valuables to make part payment for the bills), the hotel bills and the hotel manager won't let us leave until I settle our bills..

I know this is a lot to ask but I need to be honest and direct and ask you if there is any way you can help/LOAN of £2,800, I'll appreciate what you can give if not all and I promise to reimburse you once we are back home.

Please let me know if we can count on you and I need you to keep checking your email because it's the only way I can reach you.

Sorry to have to burden you with this.

Love,
M & M
xxxx

Whoever has sent this has got the names right ? How can this happen ? I am pretty sure it is a scam but should I report it to someone?
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 15th, 2018, 7:04 am

How horrible Zosh. :hug: And how on earth does someone get hold of such personal information? Anything seems possible these days!

You could start with CAB?

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consu ... rt-a-scam/
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 15th, 2018, 7:21 am

It's Phishing. It's a well known email so don't be concerned about your friends ... they are fine but if looks as if their email account has been hacked and everyone in their address book will be plagued by these scamming emails.
Click on your Junk tab ... do you have an option to Report it as Phishing? If so just do that. If not Junk it and empty your Junk folder. Then let your friends know that their account has been hacked and that they need to improve their online security.
Afraid it's a quite common one.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 15th, 2018, 7:27 am

Being hacked scares the life out of me. Happy to say it hasn't happened to me...yet. What do the hackers get out of it???
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » March 15th, 2018, 7:31 am

TeresaFoodie wrote:Being hacked scares the life out of me. Happy to say it hasn't happened to me...yet. What do the hackers get out of it???

Money usually.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 15th, 2018, 8:10 am

If Zosh responded she'd be asked to transfer obey from her bank to her friends(or rather, the scammers).
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Suelle » March 15th, 2018, 8:21 am

As you know your friends aren't in Istanbul, then take Suffolk's advice - delete everything on your computer and warn your friends as soon as possible so that they can increase their security.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby aero280 » March 15th, 2018, 8:30 am

As far as I’m aware, you just have to ignore this. The scammers have hacked into someone else’s account on a free email service like yahoo or hotmail. Neither you nor your friends are likely to be involved.

Some elderly friends from church, who have emigrated to Cyprus, fell for this and lost £4,500. If you fall for this and send the £2,800, you apparently get further requests for more money.
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Zosherooney » March 15th, 2018, 9:07 am

Thanks for advice, another mutual friend in the village has had the same e-mail. I have texted M and advised her of the e-mail so she should get that when she wakes up. Offending e-mail has been disposed of.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 15th, 2018, 9:42 am

Zosh

I got a version of that mail about 5 years ago, purporting to come from KC2

Whike of course I'd be happy to help her if she was stuck, I really didn't think I'd be first on her list for financial assistance, so I ignored it
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 15th, 2018, 9:54 am

My brother received an almost identical email a few years ago purporting to be from OH's aunt and uncle holidaying in Egypt and in desperate need of funds due to them having lost everything of value (except their passports) ... of course they weren't and they hadn't ... they don't even have passports :lol:

but OH's email had been hacked as he'd opened a link in an email from an acquaintance who had also been hacked. If you look at the address of the person sending the email you'll see that it's not quite right.

Fortunately brother phoned us to check whether said aunt and uncle were in need of help before wiring money to them.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » March 15th, 2018, 10:28 am

Thinking a bit deeper if they were in the doo doo they would contact their grown up sons, but on the initial reading your head tends to set off into panic mode. Which is of course what they want......

Interestingly..... the mutual friend I phoned to check with said that her account was hacked when she also went to USA so that is what you call being well and truly trumped !!!
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » March 15th, 2018, 10:31 am

Hackers are very clever - and people who use social media etc can unwittingly be very stupid. The hackers can get so much information from Facebook etc - they can find out your date of birth - everyone likes to have hundreds of Happy Birthday messages on their big day, pictures of you on holiday, family members - easy to work out your mother's maiden name etc etc. That's why you should never use this sort of information to make up your passwords. My internet provider suggests using a phrase or first few words of a well loved poem and exchange some of the letters for numbers or symbols - no hacker will ever guess that one!
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 15th, 2018, 10:45 am

A friend who speaks a rather unusual language uses words from that language spelled phonetically and then inputs them backwards ... it works for him :?
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Kitewatcher » March 15th, 2018, 11:51 am

My son recommends short Welsh words and a number.
Kitewatcher
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » March 15th, 2018, 4:32 pm

Kitewatcher wrote:My son recommends short Welsh words and a number.

Well that should really outfox most scammers!
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby Kitewatcher » March 15th, 2018, 5:30 pm

Well it does. the Welsh language is one they don't use. English and Chinese are their first choice. Most scamming is of the firms you use - whether they actually fess up - not of you personally. Though they use the info gleaned from those firms. And frankly whatever your password is you have little control over the firms you innocently use.
Kitewatcher
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop