Another Scam

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Another Scam

Postby aero280 » March 15th, 2018, 8:16 pm

One of the ways in to your "space" is that they find an online company with weak security and read all your login info. Then they hope that you use the same password elsewhere.

Make sure that you use a different password for each site you visit. You won;t be able to remember them all, so write them in a book. That's considered the most secure way. The risk of being hacked on-line is way, way more likely that someone breaking into your house. And, even if they do, they will be in a hurry to steal valuables. They will be unlikely to bother with a notebook...
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby StokeySue » March 15th, 2018, 8:49 pm

A security expert who spoke to the WI said it's OK to have a password recipe
So you choose a base word - preferably one not in the dictionary
Then you add initials that are suggested by the site
Then you add a number
So if your base word is Garcia your Amazon password might be GarciaAM97
Then you have everything most logins need, mixed case and numbers
This only falls down where you are compelled to add a symbol such as # or ! - some logins require one, some ban them
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 19th, 2018, 1:08 pm

I received a call this morning from an 0800 number from a lady with an Asian accent who said she was from Virgin Media and wanted to discuss new benefits for my account. She then asked me to disclose the first line of my address and my postcode for security purposes. I have a Virgin Media account and know that the call centres are in Asia but still had no idea if the call was genuine so said I would not continue the conversation.

I have just looked up online and it is genuine but still a nuisance sales call from them - but as a customer you can request to be removed from the list -so I will!

Why on earth don't they contact customers differently?!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 19th, 2018, 1:23 pm

I had an email the other day purporting to be from a hotel group (can't remember which one) saying how nice it had been to see me at their Heathrow hotel recently and that I was now entitled to join their bonus club and if I clicked on the link in the email and filled in my details I'd be entitled to all sorts of benefits ........... well, I was immediately suspicious as I've never stayed in any of their hotels, and my first name is not 'Alas' :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I googled and although there is apparently a hotel group of that name, there is also an online scam which is nothing to do with them. I reported it as 'phishing'.

Wish I could remember the name of the hotel group ... it was initials ..... possibly this one ... http://www.travelandleisure.com/travel- ... oking-scam
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 19th, 2018, 1:27 pm

I am thinking that Amazon itself might be doing something dodgy.

I have repeatedly received emails saying thank you for reviewing this that and the other but until recently have simply deteleted them. Last week I decided to check on Amazon and looked up one of the items I have not bought but was said to have reviewed. Sure enough, apparentl I have bought it and reviewed it. I have tried to contact Amazon to demand an explanation but have had no reply. I have now contacted them again to say I suspect fraud and they must reply immediately otherwise I will report them.

Did I do right?
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby smitch » March 19th, 2018, 2:20 pm

With regards to Amazon, I think I'd contact them over the live chat. I always do that rather than email them.
smitch
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 19th, 2018, 3:41 pm

A friend posted on Facebook today
He had a call from "Jenny from BT" about his internet connection
He pointed out that he has never had a BT internet connection, he is with Virgin (previously Diamond)

Ten minutes later the same voice called him claiming to be "Jenny from Virgin" :lol: :lol:

Now that's blatant
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 19th, 2018, 3:44 pm

I'd have lied through my teeth the second time and told her I was with BT :lol:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 19th, 2018, 4:08 pm

I've had calls in the past from people claiming to be from an insurance company (not the one i was with) trying to get together a quote to switch. Asking me what items I have in my property such as how many TV's and other electrical items, makes, models, values. I thought hang on, I don't feel comfortable giving this information out to every Tom, Dick or Harry. I questioned one guy telling him so, he got very shirty on the phone and very rudely ended the call and slammed down the phone. Obviously a scam and my instinct was right.

I haven't had this for a while but worth reminding others again here.

I haven't had any emails lately either but I have only had my current email address for about a year. Give it time I suppose!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby miss mouse » March 19th, 2018, 5:29 pm

earthmaiden wrote:I received a call this morning from an 0800 number from a lady with an Asian accent who said she was from Virgin Media and wanted to discuss new benefits for my account

I received an authentic looking ( at a cursory glance) e mail to say that my Vergin-on-the-hopeless account was about to be suspended. Ironically the Virgin e mail arrived late because the Virgin email is a rubbish service although curiously that managed to work again after a six month failure. Hmm.

Don't believe anything is my advice.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 21st, 2018, 3:39 pm

From IT at work:
"A couple of users have received emails that appear to be from Amazon about to renew your prime membership. The unsubscribe link is part scam part dangerous.
Our scanners are aware of this but beware of this if you're at home."
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » March 21st, 2018, 4:50 pm

apart from the new flurry of 'hmrc' emails that one gets at this time of year, i have just had a phone call from 01618507157, again purporting to be from hmrc, telling me that a law suit is being bought against me.
well, strangely enough i chose not to interact (by pressing #1 or something like that) but did a 1471 to add the phone number to the list of scams and recorded rubbish numbers that sits next to the phone.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 21st, 2018, 5:16 pm

I had a bitcoin blackmailing message the other week threatening to send all my friends and colleagues photos of things (which had been taken after they'd taken over my computer) I'd been doing whilst watching certain videos on the computer. Now while this was impossible, it did upset me a bit. V nasty.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby miss mouse » March 21st, 2018, 10:56 pm

Herbidacious wrote: Now while this was impossible, it did upset me a bit. V nasty.

It is nasty and upsetting even when reason tells us that it is impossible. I hope that you feel better now. It is unsettling. Thanks for the warning, always useful to have that.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 22nd, 2018, 7:41 am

Herbi :hug:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 22nd, 2018, 9:17 am

Thanks. Silly of me really. It was caught in the 'potentially dubious emails' filter - the security system will block some emails but put others on hold so you can decide if they are ok or not. They usually are ok, and sometimes even important so I have to look. I now have a little feeling of something unpleasant when I open the email alerting me to such filtered emails in. It will pass though. But you can see how people who might have done the thing it claimed might get very paranoid and fearful and just pay up.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby miss mouse » March 22nd, 2018, 9:23 am

Herbidacious wrote:Silly of me really.

I don't think so. It is as upsetting as a random stranger in the street shouting bizarre accusations at everyone.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 22nd, 2018, 9:29 am

Things like that are unnerving ... that's what the scammers rely on, because when unnerved we don't think straight. But the good thing is that you did think straight Herbi ... you beat them :D :tu:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 22nd, 2018, 10:28 am

Oh Herbi, that's a nasty one. It might even be worth reporting - I'm not sure to who though.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby aero280 » March 23rd, 2018, 5:16 pm

This is the place to record it. The police are looking at all the info in an attempt to link the various scams back to one source. Nigeria, India, Russia, etc...

The more info the better.

https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/report_fraud
aero280
Site Admin

Postby mum-at-the-oven » March 24th, 2018, 6:54 pm

My Son received a text message purporting to be from HMPO

"blah blah - your passport expires within the next 3 months (it doesn't) and you can renew online at .....Gov.uk - I assume it opens another link?

Anyone else had this one? I can't seem to find any info about it online. He didn't open it!
mum-at-the-oven
Registered

Postby miss mouse » March 24th, 2018, 9:00 pm

No, not had that, no idea when my passport expires but a quick root through the shoebox labelled 'Docs' should find it and tell me, wouldn't everyone do that? That's a bit of a stupid scam. Wouldn't someone check first?
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 25th, 2018, 8:09 am

I'd have thought if nothing else, you'd have to get it out to input info from it if the scam leads to an actual semi-convincing site.

reminds me, I really need to get the chip issue in mine fixed but it will have to wait until May now.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 25th, 2018, 1:41 pm

Not seen the passport one but have been bombarded with emails this week inviting me to click on various links to claim a tax rebate and also ones to confirm a recently placed order from I know not where and win a Boots voucher. The latter so badly written and designed it is quite funny .. but not for anyone falling for it.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 25th, 2018, 2:04 pm

LinkedIn have a load of people and companies trying to contact me ....... apparently ........... all I need to do is to sign up and then I can find out who they are ........
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » March 26th, 2018, 6:04 am

You are just so popular Suff !!! ;)
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 26th, 2018, 8:05 am

I found out at the weekend that my uncle had been scammed by someone contacting him purporting to be from his bank. He was convinced it was genuine. He revealed too much information and they cleared his account up to the overdraft limit. He says he can't believe he fell for it. No point berating him when he feels so stupid already, but the signs were obvious, they caught him unawares.

His wife was 'done' last year with hundreds being spent on purchases abroad. She only uses that account for cash deposits and withdrawals in her town so fraud was obvious immediately.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby mum-at-the-oven » March 26th, 2018, 8:51 am

I have to say I was very impressed with our bank last week. My Son (not the passport one) was contacted regarding some suspicious activity on his account. He had just received a new debit card which was contactless and within days someone had spent £30 in a chicken shop the other side of London. It was picked up immediately.

DS had never had contactless before and didn't actually want it but apparently you now have to request specifically for it not to be.

Anyway it was dealt with very quickly and I suspect it was picked up because the contactless limit was spent.

My Son (yet a different one) who works in Enfield said that £600 had been spent locally by a gang within an hour using stolen contactless details ...
mum-at-the-oven
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 26th, 2018, 9:02 am

I understand that crooks can get your contactless details quite easily if they are standing close to you when you use your card and they have the right equipment. I saw this on a tv programme (Fake Britain ??) where Angela Rippoff was scammed by a 'thief' sitting at the next table to her in a café. As a consequence I bought the little wallets that prevent this; promoted by a not for profit organisation called Owl online Watch link (owl.co.uk). They cost £1 each with profits being ploughed back in .. (unless that was all a scam of course :rolleyes: ;) :lol: )
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby mum-at-the-oven » March 26th, 2018, 9:18 am

Yes Patsy, we believe that Son's card was skimmed whilst travelling on the tube. He now has an anti skimming pocket thing for his wallet. Most annoyingly, OH had a collection of the pockets in the cupboard but failed to tell us!

I do believe that some if not all M&S wallets and purses are coated with anti skimming protection.
mum-at-the-oven
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 26th, 2018, 4:18 pm

I received a call this afternoon from a number showing as 'unknown'. The caller announced themself as being from a company I've never heard of saying they would need my address and date of birth as security before they could continue with the call. I politely told them to 'do one' and hung up.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 26th, 2018, 4:39 pm

― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 1st, 2018, 6:14 pm

I was reading the article on the Mumbai beach clean up in the Guardian
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/mar/30/mumbai-beach-goes-from-dump-to-turtle-hatchery-in-two-years

I clicked on a link that led me to "Bill Campbell", and his video about improving eyesight via "Outback Vision"; he claims that a vitamin smoothie can reverse most causes of blindness, especially macular degeneration, and even long and short sight (apparently unaware this is a different part of the eye)
https://outbackvisionprotocol.com/

This is 100% junk and should not be advertised on a respectable platform. I have macular degeneration myself, but unlike most people I also have many years experience as a clinical research professional, so I can spot fake medical information in seconds, and I was still upset by the amount of lying involved.
He quotes the University of Melbourne Indigenous Eye Health Unit which is apparently excited because of the great eyesight of Australian Aboriginals. Actually it was only set up because sadly so many go blind.

The spiel is the usual fake history with a claim that the nutrients in the smoothie are *powerful antioxidants" (not a great believer in dietary antioxidants myself). When you make it through to the end, you are offered a chance to pay for a recipe book.

The ad is in that section "around the web" that appears on many sites and is third party content, for which the main web site takes no responsibility
I really think web sites should be forced to take responsibility - this is the sort of thing an investigative journalist might expose and should not get spurius endorsement by association

I'm considering who to contact, presumably the Advertising Standards Authority,
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby aero280 » April 1st, 2018, 7:13 pm

Bill Campbell has been known around the web for some years. Avoid... :twisted:
aero280
Site Admin

Postby StokeySue » April 1st, 2018, 9:21 pm

You'd need to be
1. Stupid
2. Desperate
3. Stupid
4. Ill-informed
to take Bill Campbell as the answer to any problem
What's irritating me is that his video comes up in one click from a reputable site like the Guardian

And I don't think they should be allowed to deny any responsibity, I think they should control the content directly That's what annoys me
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby aero280 » April 1st, 2018, 10:28 pm

It's not just the Guardian, the BBC does it, as do many others.
aero280
Site Admin

Postby StokeySue » April 1st, 2018, 11:25 pm

Yes of course, but I have not seen anything this bad on the BBC, I would however like to make a general complaint about the practice
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby mum-at-the-oven » April 2nd, 2018, 12:04 am

No. 3 Son has recently received a call from The DVLA about a passenger in an accident he was involved in - fortunately he hasn't been in an accident and a quick check on "Who called me" showed it was yet another scam.
I know we all have those "Have you been in an accident?" calls but this one specifically claimed to be from the DVLA

To be honest I am sick to death of the calls I receive on our landline from Asia (all with UK numbers) just wanting me to answer a few questions etc etc. Most days I get about 4 although there an be a period of about a fortnight when they leave me alone. Surely they shouldn't be allowed to use UK numbers - even if BT has outsourced it's call centres. I am seriously considering ditching our landline - nobody else seems to use it nowadays but I struggle to remember my mob no.

I never tell them anything at all and tick any boxes for no further info etc. so they can only be generated from a BT list..
mum-at-the-oven
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » April 2nd, 2018, 5:51 am

We are ex-directory and have been for a very long time. We have never had a scam call on the land line......? We do have a caller readout display and if I don't recognise the number I don't answer it, I do the same "who rang me" on the internet before calling back.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby mum-at-the-oven » April 2nd, 2018, 11:31 pm

I have often thought about getting the Caller Display on our landline - But - I would be so worried that a hospital would be phoning me about one of my family and I wouldn't recognise or answer the number that I have ruled it out - can you tell that I'm a perpetual worrier ? :lol:
mum-at-the-oven
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 3rd, 2018, 5:35 am

Hospitals usually use Number Withheld' numbers.

Edited to amend typo
Last edited by suffolk on April 3rd, 2018, 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » April 3rd, 2018, 7:00 am

They do, as do GPs.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby aero280 » April 3rd, 2018, 8:57 am

Never respond to a suspect email in any way. Do not tick any “no response” boxes. All you have achieved by doing this, is to confirm that your details are valid to an automatic dialling machine or an email generator. That’s all the scammers want. Then the info is valuable and can be sold on as “genuine contact details”.

If a “number withheld” call is important, they will usually leave a voicemail.
aero280
Site Admin

Postby suffolk » April 3rd, 2018, 9:00 am

aero280 wrote:If a “number withheld” call is important, they will usually leave a voicemail.

Mmmm ... not always Aero ... when working for Social Services we would only leave voicemail on someone's personal mobile phone ... if left on a landline answerphone it could be overheard or intercepted by anyone in the house who may not be aware of SS involvement. This has been my experience with calls from hospital too.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 3rd, 2018, 9:39 am

Zosherooney wrote:We are ex-directory and have been for a very long time. We have never had a scam call on the land line......? We do have a caller readout display and if I don't recognise the number I don't answer it, I do the same "who rang me" on the internet before calling back.

I too have always been ex-directory and rarely get these calls .. I hesitate to say 'never', but they certainly are very few and far between. When I get missed calls on my mobile, without a message being left, I don't return them either. I am sure if it was anything important, they would call back, or at the very least leave a message.
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 3rd, 2018, 9:45 am

We've been ex-directory ever since I started working for Social Services ... it was 'advised' :rolleyes:

We get very few of 'those' calls nowadays, and as I've changed my name since we went ex-directory most nuisance calls are asking for Hermione Flibbertigibbet and as we all know, I am now Hermione Thingummydoodle so I just tell them that Ms Flibbertigibbet doesn't live here and never has ... it confuses them no end ;)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 4th, 2018, 1:57 am

Reading over these comments I feel a bit reluctant to order myself a landline! Tempting as it is to have a mobile and a landline it seems it could be double the trouble!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » April 4th, 2018, 5:28 am

And yesterday my mobile rang, I asked Mr. Z to answer it. Nice lady asked if I had been in an accident? Told her, she might be better off getting a 'real' job and rang off.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Gruney » April 5th, 2018, 3:53 pm

This afternoon has really had me sweating.

My car had a bit of repair work done on it, and I went to pick it up. I tried to pay with a debit card for an account I use for bills of this nature - the system wouldn't accept it. Fortunately I had enough cash on me to settle, but I needed to replace it.

I went to the cash point at Morrisons and offered my normal current a/c card - the machine went through the whole routine, with me pressing the buttons as requested. The transaction was completed - my card was returned - but no cash.

I went home and tried to log on to my bank accounts - most of my banking is done on-line - a page came up, saying "Sorry, we can't connect you, try later".

In rather a bored fashion, I was wasting a bit of time before trying again, by fiddling about on Facebook. An extremely urgent looking dropdown appeared, purporting to be from Apple Security systems telling me my computer had been infected by three viruses, and if I didn't click on a particular button, personal information and banking details were at risk. I got rid of it.

I phoned the bank, and spoke to an extremely helpful young man who explained:-

The virus message was almost certainly a scam, and

All the other events were just a worrying sequence of coincidences. Phew!

What he also told me, and this is what I want to pass on, was that when I do access my bank accounts on line, do so with no other page open - even Wildfood.
Gruney
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 5th, 2018, 6:22 pm

Oh Gruney - what a horrible sequence of events! I didn't know that about closing all pages so thank you.
earthmaiden
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop