Another Scam

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Another Scam

Postby earthmaiden » July 1st, 2018, 7:25 pm

Now I've had an email supposedly from the TSB saying someone has tried to access my account so I need to click on links to activate it The email looks incredibly genuine. I have not touched any links, I don't remember ever having had an account with the TSB.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby miss mouse » July 1st, 2018, 7:46 pm

Oh how tiresome.

This is an old one but the police liaison people have seen fit to send warnings again about the 'Helping the Police to catch a major crime ring'. Give your card details over the phone and a police courier will collect the card to catch the crims. etc. Don't do it of course.

It is good to be reminded I think.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby liketocook » July 1st, 2018, 7:46 pm

Delete EM, delete, as I'm sure you have done already. :D
Apparently I must bank with every bank on the high street going on the number of these. If you do use online banking - I do, it's easy to see how these can catch the unwary and some are very authentic looking. I've adjusted my settings on my account so that I don't get any email alerts from the bank I do use, that way I know anything from "them" is unsolicited. :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 1st, 2018, 9:55 pm

I seem to be getting more and more but thought I'd mention this one as it really looked authentic. I wouldn't try anything like that with a link any more but they must fool a lot of people (If they manage to choose a bank the recipient has ever had an account with!).
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby aero280 » August 9th, 2018, 2:53 pm

We have just had a reminder from Neighbourhood Watch that the "Fake police call" scam has started again.

You get a call and the caller states that they are a policeman. They give a name, which varies. It used to be "Det. Sergeant Green from Manchester police".

They tell you that they have arrested a man who, when searched, had your bank details. The scam proceeds from there. If you offer to phone the bank to check, they keep the line open and and pretend to be the bank - including the dialling tone.

Advice is to phone someone you know and check the line is clear. Or ring the bank on a different phone. Or just hang up.

If you are bored, you could play along, ring the "bank" and give some fictitious details, etc......
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby icelesley » August 10th, 2018, 6:56 am

There is also an e-mail going out supposedly from Amazon. It says there is unusual activity on your account click here and complete the form your account has been restricted ....hmmm there are spelling mistakes in the e-mail which is suspicious to begin with. So I went into Amazon checked the message area, no message there and no restrictions. If you get the message delete delete delete :tu:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 10th, 2018, 7:20 am

I get about one a month of those.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 12th, 2018, 11:20 am

Does anyone else receive countless emails promising the opportunity to make thousands dealing in Bitcoins? I receive them almost daily. I never open them of course! :rolleyes:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 12th, 2018, 11:43 am

Not had any of those, but had the usual phone call from a heavily east-asia accented Brian phoning from BT Openreach because there's a problem with my broadband and he'd discovered that someone had hacked my computer ... was I aware of the problem? I asked him if he was aware that he was operating an illegal scam? He swore violently using the F word and hung up ... we must be getting through to them at last :lol: :hi5:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Previous

Return to The Coffee Shop