[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - Another Scam

Another Scam

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Another Scam

Postby WWordsworth » December 5th, 2019, 9:26 pm

Oh Miss Mouse, do you feel unloved?
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby miss mouse » December 5th, 2019, 9:34 pm

Yes, deeply unloved by scammers but I'll get over it. Not even any Nigerian Princes leaving huge oil revenues to me.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » December 5th, 2019, 10:33 pm

Then you certainly have been abandoned.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby icelesley » December 11th, 2019, 6:16 pm

f I get another call from Amazon saying my prime account will be automatically updated of which I do not have one, or my normal account will be closed, I swear I will be onto amazon and demand action, it is ridiculous Its everyday I am getting automated calls :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: If it doesn't stop I will close my account myself and go elsawhere.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby miss mouse » December 11th, 2019, 6:31 pm

Don't waste your effort icel. I am in the 'Oh, no scam call today' zone and feeling neglected. I think there are peak months, well there were, Feb isn't. Nov apparently is a Peak month. No idea but If it walks like a duck etc..
miss mouse
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 11th, 2019, 6:45 pm

I doubt Amazon would care if you did, they don't care about much.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 11th, 2019, 10:42 pm

The thing is ... it’s not Amazon making the calls ...
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby dennispc » December 12th, 2019, 8:26 am

Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 12th, 2019, 9:45 am

I thought that icey meant that a big concern like Amazon might have more clout in the quest to stop this kind of call as it is being done in their name. I quite understand that it is a global thing which is done cleverly avoiding loopholes and hard to catch the culprits but suspect they could do more than we mere individuals. If they cared.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 12th, 2019, 2:49 pm

I had a really nasty 'Inland Revenue' one this morning. They're called HMRC now aren't they?

I was driving and the call came through more clearly than when I usually take calls on my mobile. It was a recorded message with a man speaking in a similar way to wartime information films - bold and very authoritative. He said I was in debt and in danger of being arrested if I didn't press 1 immediately. If I chose not to I could expect officers to come round and arrest me almost immediately. :D Of course, I didn't but it was quite chilling and could really have frightened some people. These calls really are getting horrid. :evil:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby aero280 » December 14th, 2019, 10:59 am

Not had any calls for a day or two; we got a threatening email from "tvlicencing-service.co.uk" but it fell at the first fence. Apparently their "attempt to take our direct debit had failed on 12/14/2019". Very UK. But now we have a Turkish-American prime minister, who knows what will change in future? :o
aero280
Site Admin

Postby miss mouse » December 16th, 2019, 1:21 pm

Twice today I have been phoned by 'Visa' to thank me for my payment of £599 to Steve McKillick, 'press 1 if you wish to something this'.

A woman, drama school trained soothing voice, the sort of thing eg gas and waterboard people have on automated switchboards, has the voice/recorded message been stolen?

£1200? Well thats me cleaned out this month, I expect everyone who 'pressed 1' to claim the 'Inland Revenue' rebate to post the proceeds to me.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 16th, 2019, 2:23 pm

earthmaiden
Registered

Postby aero280 » December 18th, 2019, 7:48 pm

You may have heard that the Rev Richard Coles' civil partner died yesterday. Some absolute b****** has set up a scam "Just Giving" account claiming a need to fund the funeral. The Just Giving page was set up in the name of Richard Coles mother.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
aero280
Site Admin

Postby suffolk » December 18th, 2019, 7:54 pm

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: indeed Will
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 18th, 2019, 8:17 pm

Very sad indeed :(.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 19th, 2019, 12:10 am

I just saw Reverend Richard’s Tweet about the fake funeral fund
Disgusting, he and Revered David’s mother, who is named in the scam, just don’t need the stress
StokeySue
Registered

Postby miss mouse » December 19th, 2019, 1:04 am

Shocking.

£599 deducted twice again today alleged...'press1' etc. This is a scam to be clear.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » December 19th, 2019, 2:35 pm

The poor Rev Richard is now having to deal with letters and emails from so-called "Christians" telling him his partner will be rotting in hell and that he'll be the next. I'm not getting into a debate about homosexuality or religious intolerance here, it's not the place, but some people are just evil. The man is grief stricken and does not need this.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby miss mouse » December 19th, 2019, 2:48 pm

miss mouse
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 19th, 2019, 2:57 pm

Disgusting abhorrent behaviour.
Pretty sure that at most times that sort of stuff would be water off a ducks back, but when you’re grieving you are vulnerable. Despicable behaviour. Hopefully he has someone who can ‘gatekeep’ his correspondence etc and weed out the horrid stuff and pass it to the police. If I lived nearer I'd happily do it. It seems to me he’s a thoroughly decent and likeable chap who practices what he preaches. Fine by me.
Last edited by suffolk on December 19th, 2019, 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
suffolk
Registered

Postby miss mouse » December 19th, 2019, 2:59 pm

Quite Suffs.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » December 19th, 2019, 4:47 pm

Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby miss mouse » December 20th, 2019, 9:09 pm

Well the Visa bill to Mc somebody has stopped, now someone else has started, I can't remember who or what. It is irritating.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby icelesley » December 21st, 2019, 8:07 am

I just had an automated call from Amazon, £39.99 has been taken from my bank account. mmmmm, they don't have my bank details on l y credit card, of which I have just removed the details. Between that and the Amazon prime account being automatically renewed, which I also do not have, it is starting to be a nuisance. :twisted: :twisted:
icelesley
Registered

Postby hickybank » December 21st, 2019, 8:46 am

Got a new one today
TV licensing (GOV.UK)
Unfortunately my monthly direct debit payment has gone wrong & needs to be set up again
Please click on the link to set up a new payment.
Looks genuine & I am sure some people will fall for it
Disgusting
Common sense is not so common
A brain is as strong as it's weakest think
hickybank
Registered

Postby miss mouse » December 21st, 2019, 8:50 am

miss mouse
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 21st, 2019, 9:39 am

I got the Amazon one, also £39.99. Halfway through it occurred to me that the shouty American lady sounded like Lily Tomlinson doing a funny voice, and I got the giggles and put the phone down
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 4th, 2020, 4:15 pm

I've had an email from this lot advising me to renew. Is it a scam?

http://ehice111.com/apply.php
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 4th, 2020, 4:25 pm

There seems to be no clarity on whether or not we’ll continue to need an EHIC
post Br**it ... whether we leave with or without a deal. I suspect it may well be a scam.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-44850972

If you are planning to travel to mainland Europe prior to 31/01/20 I would apply online through a proper UK government portal.

I’d also report the suspect email as possible Phishing.
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 4th, 2020, 5:01 pm

To renew, suggests you already have one. Is there an expiry date on it? I would never apply for anything like that via an email link. Does it really cost £24 if you go through the proper channels? :o
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Busybee » January 4th, 2020, 5:22 pm

It’s free through the correct government website.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 4th, 2020, 5:48 pm

Thanks. Worth flagging up then.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby icelesley » January 4th, 2020, 6:42 pm

On Amazon I was constantly getting the renewal calls. I took my visa details out of the system and strangely the calls have stopped. So if you have any websites where you let them store your payment details take them out, just enter them when you want to buy/[pay for something it is safer.... apparently
icelesley
Registered

Postby aero280 » January 4th, 2020, 7:50 pm

That's one of the intercept sites. It just takes your details and forwards them to the official site and takes a fee "for checking and processing your application for you".

This is the official site https://www.ehic.org.uk/Internet/startApplication.do and it's free.
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Rainbow » January 4th, 2020, 10:17 pm

Not a scam to worry you guys, but over here in Australia a few people are apparently pretending to have lost their houses in one of the many bushfires, and claiming money from relief funds :evil:
How low can you get :shock:
Rainbow
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » January 4th, 2020, 10:21 pm

slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 5th, 2020, 10:17 am

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Busybee » January 5th, 2020, 12:41 pm

Busybee
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 5th, 2020, 12:51 pm

BB - Rainbow will know which is best but the Sydney NYE collection was for the Australian Red Cross Disaster Recovery and Relief fund which seems to tick a lot of boxes (but perhaps not covering animal welfare). https://www.sydneynewyearseve.com/
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Busybee » January 5th, 2020, 2:18 pm

Busybee
Registered

Postby Rainbow » January 5th, 2020, 10:54 pm

I've only just seen this - thanks for helping out EM :D
The one I donated to was the Australian Red Cross Disaster Recovery and Relief fund - don't think it covers animal welfare but it covers all areas for relief for people.
The ABC was raising money with Red Cross on NYE at the Sydney firework display - they had reached over 20 million dollars, the last time I heard.

Thanks for donating, BB :D :hug:
Rainbow
Registered

Postby miss mouse » January 6th, 2020, 8:23 am

PP, on the RH side of that page it says

"Legal Disclaimer: This website is not connected to or affiliated with the National Health Service, the Department of Health, the NHSBSA or any other official Government body. You can apply independently and free of charge for EHIC by visiting the official website which can be found here. When using this website a processing fee of £24.99 will be charged to cover administrative and operational expenses. http://www.ehice111.com is independently owned and operated website."
miss mouse
Registered

Postby miss mouse » January 21st, 2020, 6:21 pm

And another scam besides all those left on the answerphone, I only listen to the answerphone messages every month or so, a nice collection of money has just been moved/ a bill is due, they all involve "press one'"

and now an e mail;

A‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌p͏‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌p St͏‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌o‌‌‌͏r͏‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌e‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌ <purchase_confirmations1@duarme.com>
Your Invoice From Apple Store! ORDERID#APPX895A79
To: appstore@invoice.mails Bcc:

I am the BCC and have not ordered anything although this is a Mac household. The rest of it won't C&P. Apparently I have ordered 'Angry Birds 2 for £59.50, 'Click here for details..'
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Rainbow » January 21st, 2020, 10:45 pm

I got a very similar one yesterday, but I'd apparently bought "Mansions of Madness" for $82!!!

I forwarded it to this email address to add to their collection!! My OH did look in the App Store yesterday but didn't buy anything - coincidence??

reportphishing@apple.com
Rainbow
Registered

Postby miss mouse » January 21st, 2020, 11:05 pm

I haven't looked in the Apple store since forever so I would guess coincidence. I have forwarded the remains of it to your link, it went to a semi obsolete e mail, not the current Apple one, it still gives a person a jolt though.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby hickybank » January 22nd, 2020, 8:47 am

I have already had the Amazon call this morning.
She said good morning I am calling from Amazon support
I said no your not & put the phone down
Common sense is not so common
A brain is as strong as it's weakest think
hickybank
Registered

Postby miss mouse » January 22nd, 2020, 8:51 am

Was it a real person or a recording? I have had a lot of recordings claiming to be from Amazon or 'this is your bank calling', all with the 'Press 1' malarky. The scale of fraud is shocking.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 22nd, 2020, 9:15 am

Here too Miss Mouse. Now if I hear an automated voice I hang up straight away. I don’t bother to listen.
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 22nd, 2020, 9:28 am

As with all these things, if you are worried, contact the companies using their proper contact means and discuss it with them or go into your account, if you have one, the proper way. None of them would leave an automated message.

I keep getting emails which appear to be from PayPal saying they have frozen my account due to an odd spending pattern. I do use PayPal but when I access my account through normal methods it looks fine and it has not been frozen. I must say that the emails look quite genuine but it is a good example of not falling for opening a link in case it is a scam.
earthmaiden
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop