[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - Another Scam

Another Scam

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Another Scam

Postby suffolk » January 22nd, 2020, 10:37 am

I get those emails EM ... and I don’t even have a Paypal account :lol:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 22nd, 2020, 2:55 pm

I had a recorded American voice telling me that my prime was about to be renewed, but I ended the call assuming they were (oddly) just informing me anyway. It did indeed renew on the 16th so a bit late for me to do anything about it.
“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." Albert Camus
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 23rd, 2020, 8:45 am

I just got the amazon call again and listenened almost to the end. 'If you want to discontinue prime services or speak to an amazon manager press 1" now the offer to speak to speak to an actual human at amazon is enough to arouse anyone's suspicions. Indeed having contact with them in any form being facilitated is...
“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." Albert Camus
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 23rd, 2020, 10:16 am

https://conversation.which.co.uk/money/ ... hone-call/

They were telling me that my prime sub is a lot cheaper than it is!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby miss mouse » January 23rd, 2020, 4:03 pm

You & Yours, Radio 4 had a lot to say this week, it might be this one

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000dfph
miss mouse
Registered

Postby miss mouse » January 29th, 2020, 1:14 pm

Two calls from Amazon Prime so far, female American accent. Plus Jaylene e mailed from the Philippines and wants to discuss an urgent business matter, what can it be?
miss mouse
Registered

Postby aero280 » January 29th, 2020, 1:26 pm

There's a hotel in Germany that we stayed at a few years ago. If you go to the original website, you find that it went into administration about three years ago. The administrators have arranged for it to be used by the local authority to house some refugee families while its future is being decided.

If you search the name of the hotel, you find a few places still offering accommodation there.

"I am the manager of the hotel. I still live there. Sadly any payment you made will be lost. However I still have access to the hotel and, as a special favour, I can let you stay in the same room that you already booked, but you must pay again. Please send an e-mail to... and I will tell you how to send the money" :( :( :(
aero280
Site Admin

Postby earthmaiden » January 29th, 2020, 2:07 pm

Crikey aero, that really doesn't sound a tempting offer!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 1st, 2020, 11:00 am

My mother has had the amazon call three times in the last 4 hours :evil:
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby miss mouse » February 1st, 2020, 3:43 pm

Oh dear, not one today, or yesterday, has everyone forgotten that I exist? Ah, 'Probably' I hear you all cry, how unkind.

It really is an utter pain isn't it. Sigh.

If you don't understand it put the phone down. If it matters you will be called again.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 5th, 2020, 2:02 pm

earthmaiden
Registered

Postby miss mouse » February 5th, 2020, 2:21 pm

Terrible. What is HMRC doing about it? They seem to be in chaos and love sending bullying notices to people and threats about tax returns being due so you could believe HMRC would do that, what an awful culture.

You and Yours R4 today detailed how a young woman, not an old duffer like me, was scammed in that 'We are the Police' thing claiming to capture scammers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000f074
miss mouse
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 5th, 2020, 2:27 pm

I don't think they can do much if the scammers are based overseas (which I assume they are). There has been a lot of publicity telling people to check properly before responding to claims of this sort but it's clearly hard to reach everyone.

I had a call from the fraud department of my bank the other day suggesting I pressed 1 to continue. Obviously I didn't - but on further investigation found the call to be genuine, they had 'detected unusual activity' on my card use and kindly blocked it until I spoke to them! I suppose I was grateful they cared!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby miss mouse » February 5th, 2020, 2:34 pm

miss mouse
Registered

Postby dennispc » February 19th, 2020, 4:57 pm

Is this a scam?

I have a Pay Pal account but haven’t used it for many years - unless I’ve forgotten something. Today received this on my phone:

“Your Paypal account has been limited due to a failed payment request. Please visit: https:// etc., etc. “

Tapping on that link I’m required to sign in. I’ve got all the necessary details, but my email address for Paypal is an ancient one that I haven’t used for years and can’t access.

Do I ignore, or use Paypal’s Contact Us link?
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby aero280 » February 19th, 2020, 5:08 pm

Looks like a scam to me. Ignore it. If you haven't used paypal for ages, you can't have a failed payment.

Did this come as an email? If so, look at the address it came from. It will probably extend to something unlikely. Also, did the e-mail address you by name, or just "Dear customer".

And, if it was not sent to the defunct email address, it can't have come from Paypal. They won't know any other email.
aero280
Site Admin

Postby dennispc » February 19th, 2020, 5:23 pm

Thanks aero, it came to my phone Messages. Didn’t address me, just the message.
dennispc
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 19th, 2020, 5:32 pm

I use PayPal (but not as a credit facility). I get periodic emails saying that there is a discrepancy on my account and that I won't be able to use it until I have contacted them using links provided. The first time, I went to my account (NOT using the links provided!) and it all looked fine. Since then I just spam the emails and my PayPal account has operated as normal so it is spam. I have searched the emails for discrepancies but there is nothing obvious - I think it lies in the French or Swiss address they give.

Not had this via a message (yet) though!

Yesterday I answered a call on my mobile, didn't speak or press anything and a recorded message told me I had contacted the wrong extension!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby miss mouse » February 19th, 2020, 5:50 pm

miss mouse
Registered

Postby miss mouse » February 19th, 2020, 5:54 pm

miss mouse
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 19th, 2020, 6:19 pm

Total scam ... I’ve had quite a few similar emails ... I do not have and never have had a Paypal account :twisted: ... flag up to your service provider as Phishing.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby dennispc » February 20th, 2020, 4:56 pm

Now deleted it, the helpful posters over at Mac Forum were certain it was a scam, one posted, “in the email just hover your cursor over any link(dont click on it) you will see a popup does that match the address. if it does not then its a fake/scam.” It didn’t come as an email so not much help, but may help someone.

Another, who’d had a similar message, posted

“Of course the PayPal link isn't for PayPal, goes to NetRange: 35.184.0.0 - 35.191.255.255
CIDR: 35.184.0.0/13
NetName: GOOGLE-CLOUD

PayPal is in the NetRange: 64.4.240.0 - 64.4.251.255
CIDR: 64.4.240.0/21, 64.4.248.0/22
NetName: PAYPAL-SITE”
dennispc
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 27th, 2020, 10:41 am

I received a text this morning from 64364 saying;

Hello, BT here. Your broadband and phone services are now ready to use. Need help getting started ? Go to bt.com/newtobt

I'm not falling for that one ! Nor am I replying to that text number :rolleyes: :evil:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 4th, 2020, 10:28 pm

suffolk
Registered

Postby miss mouse » March 4th, 2020, 11:17 pm

Another Amazon Prime one today when I was deep in nowhere-ville.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 10th, 2020, 7:02 pm

I have received the email as detailed below .... I presume it's a scam as I don't have a PP account ... but how do I find out for certain ?

Paid with
PayPal Account £149.00 GBP- pat.marks136@btinternet.com
This transaction will appear on your statement as PAYPAL *VINCENTSNIJ
Purchase details
Receipt number: 58832240SM246194E
We'll send confirmation to pat.marks136@btinternet.com when the transaction will complete.
If this payment was made without your permission you have the rights to cancel the payment and receive a full refund.

Click here to cancel the payment in order to receive a full refund instantly

If this is a legit transaction, you don`t have to do anything more just wait for the payment to be sent.
Merchant details
Vincent Snijders Vroegop
contact@allrounds-marketing.com
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 10th, 2020, 7:27 pm

Yes it’s a scam. I’ve had that several times and i don’t have a Paypal account either. I just report it to my email provider as Phishing.
Obviously don’t click on it.
suffolk
Registered

Postby miss mouse » March 10th, 2020, 8:10 pm

miss mouse
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 11th, 2020, 1:42 pm

:tu: Phew ... this is the first time for me with this scam :tu: :rolleyes: :terrified: :scared:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby miss mouse » March 11th, 2020, 4:54 pm

miss mouse
Registered

Postby miss mouse » March 13th, 2020, 12:42 pm

miss mouse
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 13th, 2020, 1:14 pm

Still getting thos amazon ones.

Meanwhile not a scam, but a rip off. I had a 'photography plan' monthly sub for software from Adobe on an account that was set up years ago using my work email address. Work has now gone cloud based, and added it's plan to my account. But even though the two plans are being paid for, I am not allowed to have anything (even programs not inlcuded in my photography plan) on more than two computers, so could not use work software without deleting it off my home computers. The only way to get around this is to to cancel my photography plan and thus the direct debit, and create a new account using a different email address and then set up a new plan using that. This is annoying enough, but they wanted to charge £30 to cancel the direct debit!
Actually, I need to go and check that they didn't take this month's money out - was due today - or charge me the £30. (I got in contact and after some restrained protestation and complaining on my part, they waved the £30 'as a gesture of good will'.)
Sorting this out took about two hours of my time, and I have not yet set up a new plan. Tempted not to as can use free to me software from work on one computer at home. Will see how that goes.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 13th, 2020, 1:31 pm

A gardening friend has just posted this on GW ...

"I have had a message from Amazon saying that there is an updated version of this book (Hilary Mantel's The Mirror and the Light') on Kindle which can (implied should) be downloaded. Should you get the message as well, delete it. It is a scam and it’s not from Amazon."
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 13th, 2020, 3:07 pm

6 cold calls so far today. They seem to have gone into overdrive. I fear my intended nap will be disrupted :?
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby miss mouse » March 13th, 2020, 3:11 pm

miss mouse
Registered

Postby scullion » March 13th, 2020, 3:15 pm

we don't get them any more - i'm feeling ignored!
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 13th, 2020, 3:33 pm

I am willing to share...

Last one asked if I was Mrs Ratchel Feeart. Wrong on all counts, so I said they must have got the wrong number.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » March 13th, 2020, 3:35 pm

my partner would always put the phone down if someone asked if he was mr 'mysurname' cos he knew it would be a cold call.
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » March 13th, 2020, 3:35 pm

my partner would always put the phone down if someone asked if he was mr 'mysurname' cos he knew it would be a cold call.
scullion
Registered

Postby miss mouse » March 13th, 2020, 3:42 pm

miss mouse
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 13th, 2020, 3:43 pm

My usual tactic is to pick up the phone then wait, on the supposition that a real person would say 'hello' and/or if it's a all centre, they are automatically ringing multiple numbers at anyone time. If they don't hear a voice, they disconnect and get on with another call. These may be false suppositions, of course.

Thing is, no one calls, other than (rarely) my mother (I call her usuall) or occasionally husband's (!) mother or brother, anyway.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby miss mouse » March 13th, 2020, 3:50 pm

miss mouse
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 13th, 2020, 5:20 pm

That's a nasty one Suffs :(.

I always just say hello and then ask who's speaking when they ask if they are speaking to me (I.e.my name). The unwanted callers always completely ignore my question and launch into whatever it is, only asking again later if they are speaking to me. They rarely get that far! I don't know if Virgin has managed to block the landline calls, I haven't had one for ages. I get the odd one on my mobile. I don't miss them!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby miss mouse » March 13th, 2020, 5:47 pm

miss mouse
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 18th, 2020, 9:24 am

Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 18th, 2020, 9:26 am

Love the greeting!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby miss mouse » March 18th, 2020, 10:06 am

Yes, it is a wonderful greeting,

"If you spot any spelling mistakes or poor grammar within an email, it is unlikely to have come from an official organisation and could indicate the presence of a phishing email. "

If only that were true...

There is only a 'Western Union £600 has been transferred' call here, which probably goes on to 'press1'.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby miss mouse » March 18th, 2020, 10:09 am

I see the warning is dated Oct 16th so presumably it is doing the rounds again.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 18th, 2020, 10:12 am

I got exactly the one from the screen shot. It alarmed me as I have, in the past, had someone opening an account using my email address. On that occasion they also managed to extract money from my bank somehow. Or did I set up an account in my sleep...? Will never know for sure.

Sometimes people who have managed to access your bank deatils will spend small, innocuous amounts initially, maybe to test the waters.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 19th, 2020, 9:19 am

Just had a phone call from Isaac at Microsoft about problems with my computer ... I gushed in my 'little old lady' voice that it was wonderful that he'd called as his colleagues had phoned me a while ago and said they would send someone around to fix my laptop but they hadn't come, and I'd baked a cake and everything ..... he was a bit non-plussed for a moment and then explained that due to the crisis throughout the country they are unable to send technicians out to fix things in person ... so ... wait for it ... they've invented a way to fix computers over the phone :shock: :kneel: :luv:

I then put on my 'absolutely furious' voice and told him he was a dirty rotten scammer and he should get off my phoneline ...the line went dead ... OH is in hysterics :lol: :lol: :lol:
suffolk
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop