Prog-nostications

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Prog-nostications

Postby suffolk » December 27th, 2015, 11:21 am

2016 is nearly upon us - what do you think the future holds for the characters we really care about ?

The only soap I follow is The Archers - I've been sussing out the way the storylines are going ...... What will 2016 bring?

Ok, I think I've worked it out - David and Ruth will emigrate to NZ, Lilian's going to have an affair with Justin, Shula's going to get involved with Richard (again), Caroline & Oliver will stay in Italy and the Grundys will have a proper tenancy at Grange Farm, and Joe will be found having gone to sleep for ever in his chair by the kitchen range ............

But if those bones in the silage weren't Scruff, who were they ...................... ?
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Re: Prog-nostications

Postby northleedsbhoy » December 27th, 2015, 11:31 am

And your point is? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers
NLB :tu:
northleedsbhoy
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » December 27th, 2015, 12:51 pm

I cried when Scruff came home. I cried again when I heard it on repeat the next day and I cried in Waitrose car park this morning whist listening to the omnibus! :cry: :cry: :cry:

I think it's very funny how the new editor has got everybody moving into someone else's house. I can't keep up. :o

I think Richard will get involved with Lizzie thus peeing Shula off massively. Caroline and Oliver will stay in Italy. But what about Rob and Helen and the peculiar Mother-in-Law? And why isn't Pat picking up on Rob's behaviour? :o :o :o It's about the only time since Helen joined the cast that I've actually felt kindly towards her. ;)

I think the bones were from one of the foxhounds. Isn't Rob in charge of The Hunt now? And he blocked the drains didn't he? I love the idea of Lillian with Simon Williams! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Pepper Pig on December 27th, 2015, 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Gruney » December 27th, 2015, 1:10 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:I cried when Scrufff came home. I cried again when I heard it on repeat the next day and I cried in Waitrose car park this morning whist listening to the omnibus! :cry: :cry: :cry:

I think it's very funny how the new editor has got everybody moving into someone else's house. I can't keep up. :o

I think Richard will get involved with Lizzie thus peeing Shula off massively. Caroline and Oliver will stay in Italy. But what about Rob and Helen and the peculiar Mother-in-Law? And why isn't Pat picking up on Rob's behaviour? :o :o :o It's about the only time since Helen joined the cast that I've actually felt kindly towards her. ;)

I think the bones were from one of the foxhounds. Isn't Rob in charge of The Hunt now? And he blocked the drains didn't he? I love the idea of Lillian with Simon Williams! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I now feel totally excluded - is this is a list of "ladies' things"? :terrified:
Gruney
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » December 27th, 2015, 1:18 pm

Gruney wrote:I now feel totally excluded - is this is a list of "ladies' things"?

No, just Archers Addicts. I don't understand it either
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 27th, 2015, 1:27 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:But what about Rob and Helen and the peculiar Mother-in-Law? And why isn't Pat picking up on Rob's behaviour?

The collusion is appalling isn't it? Of course, I don't think it would happen if Helen weren't pregnant ..... but Pat does worry so.

A couple of us on the Gardener's World forum are planning a Rob T assassination squad - balaclavas have been sourced - I think Scully's up for it too ...... can we count you in Pepper?

Hmmm, Elizabeth and Richard ...... that will put Shula's nose out of joint ....... not to mention Roy's ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » December 27th, 2015, 1:31 pm

Ooh yes, I'm in! :tu: :tu: :tu:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » December 27th, 2015, 1:33 pm

PS. Did anyone see Tim Bentinck on Christmas University Challenge? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 27th, 2015, 1:35 pm

Yes - to our shame here in Norfolk he was the only member of the UEA team capable of answering any questions at all :rolleyes:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » December 27th, 2015, 1:39 pm

He's lovely though isn't he? Much nicer than the character he plays. :tu:

But not their finest hour!
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 27th, 2015, 2:13 pm

This must be a bit puzzling for non-Archers fans but hey-ho they don't know what they are misssing.

I confess to listening twice to every episode and the omnibus on Sundays. When we lived in the Bahamas Dad used to record it on reel-to -reel and send us the omnibus once a month!! How sad it that? I started listening to the first episode with my gran and have been hooked ever since. Could easily answer mastermind questions but my general knowledge might not quite be up to the rest :oops: :oops:

As for 2016. I agree about Caroline and Oliver and so Joe. I thought he might have shuffled off on Christmas Day! I reckon Ruth might go but Pip will get together with Matthew and keep up the farm or some such combination.

I think the big story will be the Helen and Rob one and I can see it getting particularly nasty with perhaps Ian finally sussing what is going on and having an influence. What about Lillian and Justin? Did you hear DID this lunchtime?
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 27th, 2015, 2:49 pm

Yes - she chose most of my records! Especially Charles Trenet :luv:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 27th, 2015, 3:52 pm

Another AA here, my sister too who also visits the FB site. Apparently Rob is called Throb on that. ... isn't there more to his 'divorce' from his first wife than meets the eye ? Ooh, and he has denied having met Richard Lock when he did the paternity test ...
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 27th, 2015, 3:53 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:....... isn't there more to his 'divorce' from his first wife than meets the eye......

Oh yes, much much more I'm sure ...............
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 27th, 2015, 4:38 pm

I clocked that too Patsy, I am sure Richard will have remembered - Watch this space and if anyone doesn't understand - that's what it is all about!!

My life-long ambition is to be a script writer :oops: :oops:
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » December 27th, 2015, 4:59 pm

I did stop listening when Nigel fell off the roof and it's only since the new editor that I've got back into it.

Was trying to remember when I first started. My parents thought it was rubbish so we never had it on at home and it was an elderly relative who told me I reminded her of Shula that got me listening. It was when Shula was a teenager. I listened and I was appalled that anyone thought I was like that!!! :o :o :o

Last time I was at Lord's I was wandering round during the lunchbreak, as you do, and heard a very distinctive voice. I turned around and it was Brian! :luv: :luv: :luv:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 27th, 2015, 5:06 pm

He pops up everywhere... he was on Woman's Hour last week iirc ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 27th, 2015, 7:29 pm

And now I am listening to the Ambridge production of Calendar Girls ;) At least I can get some knitting done :tu:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 27th, 2015, 10:30 pm

Mystified

I can't keep up with my own friends and relatives, let alone a whole village on the radio

My Mum used to listen to Mrs Dale's Diary, after that we resigned
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » December 28th, 2015, 12:05 am

suffolk wrote:
Pepper Pig wrote: I think Scully's up for it too ...... .

only if i haven't beaten you all to it with a cosh shaped, piece of slate i found on the beach this afternoon - and a corkscrew.

i think ruth is going to ask for a divorce and a share of the farm.
kenton and jolene will come up on the lottery and help david pay her off - then david and kenton are out of 'debt' to each other - but then ruth will want to come back sometime in the future and david will have moved on.
rob is still responsible for the dog in the silage even if it wasn't scruff.
after the baby is born it's curtains for henry in a cleverly orchestrated accident during the hunt.
i'm just waiting for the body of steffan to turn up in a shallow grave in the millennium wood - fortunately it'll have something incriminating with it - or charlie will find something while he's clearing his desk which will put rob under suspicion, then all the other violent behaviour will come out into the open and shula will be had up for perverting the course of justice when she lied about the hunt saboteur incident.
the grundeys will remain at grange farm and, on their return, caroline and what's his face will sell grey gables to justin, (and caroline will somehow inherit netherbourne hall - she may bump off all the others in line in a kind hearts and coronets sort of way).
of course it may turn up that hazel and rob know each other from a previous time and he chokes her with a free range carrot, thereby avoiding her spilling the beans that they are actually the grandchildren of mrs dale (and her diary) and have been plotting the demise of the archers series and the reinstitution of the diary thereby returning their family to their rightful place...

or not!
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 28th, 2015, 6:56 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :tu: :cocktail:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Rainbow » December 28th, 2015, 7:24 am

StokeySue wrote:Mystified

I can't keep up with my own friends and relatives, let alone a whole village on the radio

My Mum used to listen to Mrs Dale's Diary, after that we resigned

Me too ;)

My mother didn't listen to Mrs Dale's Diary for long and couldn't tolerate The Archers!
So I never heard it - can't believe it's still going :o

Just looked it up on Wiki, which says;

"The Archers, which debuted on 1 January 1951 (with the pilot premiering in 1950), is the most listened to Radio 4 non-news programme, with over five million listeners, and, with over one million listeners via the Internet"

Never imagined it was that popular!
Rainbow
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 28th, 2015, 7:53 am

I've been listening to it since I was a baby (it's a year older than I am). It's part of my life :lol:

It was originally made as an educational programme for farmers, so of course we listened as Pa had returned from the war in the RAF to try to make something of the family farming business which had not fared well during the war. Fortunately he married Ma, who as a Landgirl had been trained in the new-fangled milking machines and up to the minute dairying practices - and listening to the Archers was an important education for Ma in the rest of farming life, as she'd grown up in a town, although with farming relatives.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » December 28th, 2015, 8:04 am

When I was at the RAM Ted Kelsey who plays Joe Grundy was in charge of teaching all the aspiring opera singers to speak correctly. Always makes me laugh when I hear him. I think he is superb. Does anyone remember the duologues he used to have with Nelson Gabriel (who was my favourite character for years)! :D
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 28th, 2015, 8:35 am

I still miss Nelson ........ and Walter of course :(
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 28th, 2015, 8:36 am

I still miss Nelson ........ and Walter of course :(
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 28th, 2015, 9:22 am

scullion wrote: ... of course it may turn up that hazel and rob know each other from a previous time and he chokes her with a free range carrot ...

.... but then we'd have to like him :shock: :x couldn't they run away together to ............... Emmerdale?
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 29th, 2015, 1:37 pm

Did anyone here the news item today about the new definition of domestic abuse - coertion and bullying now being a criminal offence.

Harrison had better get the proper training pronto !!!

Did you hear Calender Girls yesterday afternoon?
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 29th, 2015, 1:46 pm

Missed it - stomping on the shingle on Minsmere beach ... I'll have to try to 'Listen again'
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 29th, 2015, 1:52 pm

Yes, I listened to the production when it was first aired straight after Monday night's Archers ... loved hearing the story even though I have seen the film. :tu:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » December 29th, 2015, 2:43 pm

Rob Titchenor and Tracy Barlow.
Now there's a match made in heaven.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby scullion » December 29th, 2015, 2:48 pm

have i missed something? - who is tracy barlow?
scullion
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 29th, 2015, 3:22 pm

Sssssh Scullion another soap I believe, though which one I know not.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 29th, 2015, 4:28 pm

Corrie (I know that much 'cos MIL watches it) ....... now she's a real monster ...... :?
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby uschi » December 30th, 2015, 9:38 am

I started listening to the Archers in 1978 or so and stopped when they toppled poor Nigel off the roof. :rolleyes: And until they bring him back I'll stay away.
uschi
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » December 30th, 2015, 9:41 am

They got rid of the editor Vanessa Whitburn a couple of years ago Uschi. She was responsible for Nigel's demise. The new chap, Sean something, is very good.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 30th, 2015, 1:34 pm

Except he gave us Rob :twisted: :twisted:
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » December 30th, 2015, 4:30 pm

Well yes. But Rob is believable. Nigel falling off the roof of a stately home wasn't. ;)
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby uschi » December 30th, 2015, 4:55 pm

I'm staying firm: no Nigel, no Archers. ;)
uschi
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » December 31st, 2015, 3:22 pm

When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » December 31st, 2015, 8:25 pm

Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 1st, 2016, 9:52 am

Mr Rats and I were just talking about what the likely plot tonight will be. He reckons the most unlikely situation would be Joe grundy buying a round of drinks in the Bull.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 1st, 2016, 10:19 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 1st, 2016, 10:22 am

I'm fully expecting him to expire any day now in his chair by the range in Caroline's kitchen ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » January 1st, 2016, 12:02 pm

suffolk wrote:I'm fully expecting him to expire any day now in his chair by the range in Caroline's kitchen ...

no, that would be a bit too similar to rooooth's mum's death. it has to be a good surprise - they've already had the unexpected death on a celebration episode.
elizabeth may tell roy that she can't live without him and she'll put the kids in boarding school.
kenton wins on the lottery.
hellen finds out that the baby (henceforth known as damian) can already summon up demons while still in the womb and tries to outdo his father in causing surreptitious havoc in the village (he and rob will both be killed, eventually, in a car crash after an excommunication ceremony by the vicar). ok, that one wasn't such a good surprise - in one way.
costanza has a baby by salieri, and wolfgang spends the rest of his life over the other side of the field sulking with scruff.
tom gets back with kirsty who keeps him under her thumb until he has a personality implant ( or realises that he, too, is gay and runs off to scotland with charlie).

i still haven't got my coffee - even though it's been offered!
scullion
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 1st, 2016, 6:46 pm

Ruth will come back and announce she is pregnant.
Richard will denounce Rob as a liar.
I think one of those llamas is dead already Scully!
Nigel will rise again . . . . As will Julia!
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 1st, 2016, 7:20 pm

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!! :aww: :aww: :aww: :aww:

And I've been advocating 'back to basics' dairy farming for years and years ........ :tu: :tu: :tu: I was singing the praises of Dairy Shorthorns on this thread on 28th December :D

And seriously, re the storyline ....... I think/hope this indicates that we're going to have less of the drama and more substance from now on :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 1st, 2016, 7:26 pm

It was a bit dull. :( Thank goodness. :tu:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 1st, 2016, 7:32 pm

Dull???? :o :?

It was about cows :D :D :D What could be more fascinating??? :D :D :D I'm a very happy bunny :D :D :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 1st, 2016, 8:06 pm

Well I guess if you're a rabbit then cows would be mega interesting . . . . . . :o :lol:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Next

Return to The Coffee Shop