Prog-nostications

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Prog-nostications

Postby FoodMary » January 1st, 2016, 9:24 pm

When I worked for Lady A Sunday evenings were sacrosanct as she had to listen to the Archers. None of our staff dared to be noisy and I used to get cross as dinner was served half an hour later than usual. Is the Archers still on Sunday evenings?

Mary J
I even dream about food!
FoodMary
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 1st, 2016, 9:46 pm

The Archers is on every Sunday and weekday evening at 7pm and repeated every weekday lunchtime at 2pm. The omnibus edition is on every Sunday morning at 10 am
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » January 2nd, 2016, 7:12 am

Suff, are you doing some private work for the BBC ?????? :lol: :lol:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 2nd, 2016, 7:21 am

When I lived in a rural area I was amazed at how often life on the Archers seemed to imitate events in the village where I lived ... but there were several BBC people who either lived in the area or visited regularly ... who knows where they get their ideas from? ;)
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » January 2nd, 2016, 9:11 am

I gather that last nights episode was a bit of an anti climax
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 2nd, 2016, 9:50 am

suffolk wrote:Dull???? :o :?

It was about cows :D :D :D What could be more fascinating??? :D :D :D I'm a very happy bunny :D :D :D

Me too Suffs. The good thing about last night's big announcemnet was that it was about a current problem facing dairy farmers not, as Mr Rats said "Grande Guignol". As the saying goes Not mnay dead!"

One of the very nicest think I do on Jersey is to wander down to the farm near son's house and watch the cows coming in for milking.I just love the sight sounds and smells of a milking parlour, particularly when it is full of Jersey cows.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 2nd, 2016, 9:51 am

Not to Suffs apparently . . . . ;)

I'm just glad Roof and Dayveed aren't splitting up because that might mean Jill moving back to Lower Loxley and I don't think I could stand that again. :o
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 2nd, 2016, 10:10 am

You misunderstand me - I love the sight and smell of a dairy parlour :luv: (I was born on a dairy farm) ...... just not the big intensive systems - to me they seem totally impractical because as Ruth was saying, when margins are small they get swallowed up by the overheads. Going back to a less intensive system means there should actually be some profit.
suffolk
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 2nd, 2016, 10:21 am

Good job Berrow Farm is closing as well then! Although I'll be sorry when Simon Williiams goes. ;) Am hoping some evidence re Rob will be discovered when the place is vacant.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 2nd, 2016, 10:40 am

I thought it was an anti-climax too but never mind

I only used to listen to the Omnibus, always forgetting about it being on at 7 pm and I was at work then, so couldn't listen to the repeat at 2 pm. I have always wondered which episode is repeated on Monday at 2 pm - The Friday night or Sunday night episode ? I do now try to listen at 7 pm, but may go back to the Omnibus as I can then do 90 minutes of knitting - the only activity (it used to be ironing) that I can do at the same time ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby scullion » January 2nd, 2016, 12:40 pm

well, after that damp squib i will have to re-write the plot. - shame , i was looking foreword to not hearing the forced accent of ruth any longer - maybe she'll get trampled in the milking parlour instead or permanently lose her voice.
i qualify that by saying that i like the geordie accent - just not her's - i'm sure the forced eeeeeeeeee sound that she still uses instead of the 'a' in david would have been tempered a bit in the last twenty five years but then i suppose the village doesn't have a recognisable accent to mould it. even the grundy boys have different accents to each other.
how many months has helen got to go before damian is born? - and does anyone want to start a book on the length of the remaining life for henry? i give him six months tops.
scullion
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 2nd, 2016, 3:52 pm

I have never been able to stand (or understood) Roof's accent ... something about it never rang true :( and very irritating :rolleyes:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 3rd, 2016, 12:00 pm

suffolk wrote:You misunderstand me - I love the sight and smell of a dairy parlour :luv: (I was born on a dairy farm) ...... just not the big intensive systems - to me they seem totally impractical because as Ruth was saying, when margins are small they get swallowed up by the overheads. Going back to a less intensive system means there should actually be some profit.

Nothing to do with the Archers but perhaps you might know the answer
I bought some cream and realised why I seldom bother; it was just a texture, no flavour at all, but I'm sure cream used to taste of something, what has gone wrong?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 3rd, 2016, 12:46 pm

I agree that most supermarket cream tends to be pretty flavourless. We buy locally produced cream from the farm shop where OH works, http://www.marybelle.co.uk/the-products ... uble-cream which has more flavour than the supermarket stuff and that is what I'll use as an ingredient when making desserts etc. However if I'm buying something to serve as an accompaniment we tend to use the same producer's crème fraiche (winner of a gold Great Taste Award) or a mix of their double cream and crème fraiche.

I think that ' back in the good old days' cream developed a flavour because the milk 'stood' so that the cream rose to the top before it was taken off, chilled and packaged etc. Nowadays the cream is removed by a centrifuge so the milk doesn't have to stand.

Also, although I store cream in the fridge, I let it rise to room temperature before serving - I think that allows the taste to develop a bit.

Added to which, the milk from different breeds of cattle does vary in flavour ... I think the milk from the ubiquitous Dairy Holstein is pretty bland.

You may be interested in this http://www.becclesandbungayjournal.co.u ... _1_4358331 .......... available from Neals Yard :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 3rd, 2016, 12:57 pm

I think the standing so it ripens a little may be the thing
When I was young we bought Jersey cream from a farm just up the road, but I've tried organic Jersey cream from the farmer's market and it has very little flavour, though I think he probably has a centrifuge
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 3rd, 2016, 3:53 pm

I think you are correct Sue and Suffs. That's why using cream in France can be so blinking frustrating... I made a rather good Pavlova when we had friends round today and I use raw creme fraiche (40%) I can only get it from one place but it has the nearest taste to the raw cream Giles gets from his neighbour.

When m-i-l lived in Somerset she used to get raw cream from a local farm (jerseys) and make her own clotted cream. To die for but not something you would be eating every day.

I topped the Pavolva with fresh lychees, passion fruit and pomegranate seeds.

Now what will happen tonight??
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » January 3rd, 2016, 4:03 pm

I can just remember cornish clotted cream ice cream :chops: :chops: :chops:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 5th, 2016, 7:20 pm

Tonight!!!! Two and a half thousand pounds!!!! (I've been wondering how they've been managing without his salary)
And him, making focaccia??? Really???

How many times did she say 'I'm sorry Rob, I'm so sorry.' :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
suffolk
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 5th, 2016, 7:26 pm

Wasn't allowed to listen live. Am off to do iPlayer radio. Thanks Suffs! :tu: :tu:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby scullion » January 5th, 2016, 7:29 pm

suffolk wrote:Tonight!!!! Two and a half thousand pounds!!!! (I've been wondering how they've been managing without his salary)
And him, making focaccia??? Really???

maybe he's being blackmailed by richard lock for falsifying the paternity test.

a friend's husband makes brilliant focaccia - not that i'm sticking up for rob.

but does that mean they've spent all the granny money?

by the way, what happened when rob's mother turned up? did i miss something?
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 5th, 2016, 7:57 pm

scullion wrote:a friend's husband makes brilliant focaccia

I'm sure he does ........... but I just don't believe that Rob has an aptitude for it :rolleyes:

I heard a bit of the MIL episode - it was very strained and Rob was very put out ... don't remember anything that struck me as significant, but there was someone here at the time :rolleyes:
suffolk
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 5th, 2016, 8:06 pm

Wow. That was a stonking episode! Yes. Peggy's money is going thick and fast.

There were lots of references to Rob's brother Miles when the MIL came. Don't remember much else.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 5th, 2016, 8:38 pm

He did make sure she left "before dark"!

He is clearly planning on taking over everything at Bridge Farm. I am curious to know how he'll stop Helen having her pamper day at Grey Gables, which Pat gave her so she could catch up with Kirsty/
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 6th, 2016, 7:43 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:Well yes. But Rob is believable. Nigel falling off the roof of a stately home wasn't. ;)

Sadly it's happened elsewhere http://www.dailymail.co .uk/news/article-3387174/Rising-cricket-star-celebrating-New-Year-friends-Scotland-died-aged-22.html

and as OH has reminded me, poor Rod Hull fell to his death from the roof of a bungalow ......... if only he'd not opted for a flightless bird ..............
suffolk
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 17th, 2016, 12:49 pm

Just in case you've missed this week's episodes.

http://ambridgeobserver.blogspot.co.uk/

She makes me LOL. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 17th, 2016, 3:26 pm

That is priceless PPig ... I have saved it to my favourites .. now wondering how I can copy and paste the link on an email to my sister .. :?
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 17th, 2016, 3:30 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 18th, 2016, 1:40 pm

I think chinks are beginning to appear in Robs ever increasing control.. I foresee Kirsty and Charlie as getting the first wedge in there. If the obvious reversion to anorexia doesn't do it first.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 18th, 2016, 2:14 pm

I have high hopes of Kirsty - think she's a force to be reckoned with :tu:
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 18th, 2016, 3:24 pm

I hope so because I am doing too much shouting at the radio :lol: :lol: :lol:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 24th, 2016, 11:08 am

Is Toby Fairbrother involved in drug dealing? :rolleyes:

Something very suspicious going on ...

Didn't I tell you ....... Lilian and Jason !!! (Whoops :oops: I mean Justin)
Last edited by suffolk on January 24th, 2016, 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
suffolk
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 24th, 2016, 11:46 am

Yes. Brighton is the clue I think! :o :o

And you're right about Justin and Lillian. :lol: I love Simon Williams. long may he stay.

As usual The Ambridge Observer gets it right:

http://ambridgeobserver.blogspot.co.uk/ ... -results=4
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 24th, 2016, 12:08 pm

Can you post this every Sunday please PP ? ;) :lol:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 24th, 2016, 12:20 pm

I'll try and remember Pat! :tu: :tu:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 24th, 2016, 12:23 pm

suffolk wrote:
Didn't I tell you ....... Lilian and Jason !!! (Whoops :oops: I mean Justin)

Wasn't Jason Sid and Kathy's Brummie builder? ;)
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 24th, 2016, 12:28 pm

That's the one - think Lilian was quite keen on him too :lol:
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 24th, 2016, 3:25 pm

She's keen on anything in trousers, especially if they have money :lol: :lol:

I reckon Tom and Rob are destined for a bust up any time soon and Pat will support Rob - for a damaging while

When's Helen's next anti-natal due??
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 24th, 2016, 3:30 pm

I think Pat must have had a brain transplant! :o
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » January 24th, 2016, 4:23 pm

Thank you for lending me your copy of the Ambridge Observer, I am considering taking out a subscription

moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 24th, 2016, 4:26 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby scullion » January 24th, 2016, 5:53 pm

suffolk wrote:Is Toby Fairbrother involved in drug dealing? :rolleyes:
Something very suspicious going on ...

it's probably drug dealing inside his camp, gay and transvestite themed male brothel. the 'trouble' he had to sort out may have been a squabble over silk undies which had escalated into a hair pulling and tea towel flicking war, needing a rather overly emphasised, female loving man (yeah, we all know about the zeal of the convert) to sort it out and tend the scratches.
of course it may be he's embarrassed that he's really a sunday school teacher and wants to make it sound much more interesting than it really is - or he really has got a mad wife in the attic.
rob will soon be checking out and influencing the wills of pat and tony before they slip into and drown in the slurry pit trying to rescue each other, then insisting that helen makes him the sole beneficiary of whatever she is set to inherit. after that comes the setup of the apparent post natal depression suicide, demise of henry and a character assassination on young johny.
maybe he has an agreement with the first wife and the marriage with helen is all a sham to get the farm before getting back with the said first wife and live happily ever after. they may both be psychopaths.
will ruth's prozac run out before the new system is set up and running or will she be diagnosed as being bi-polar? - there must be a better excuse for the total turnaround high that she's been exhibiting since returning from nz than just having worked things through - and with hardly a mention of the body in the car.
Last edited by scullion on January 24th, 2016, 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scullion
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 24th, 2016, 5:56 pm

It's such a shame you have such a poor imagination Scully. ;)
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby scullion » January 24th, 2016, 6:02 pm

i know, i must try harder.
scullion
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 31st, 2016, 4:02 pm

For Patsy. This week's Ambridge Observer.

http://ambridgeobserver.blogspot.co.uk/ ... -results=5
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 31st, 2016, 4:06 pm

:lol: :tu:
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 31st, 2016, 5:45 pm

Who or what is going to be the person/ incident that saves Helen? Great story line but so hard to listen to without being very rude indeed to the radio. i think I even shocked the cat!!
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 31st, 2016, 6:33 pm

It's terrific drama isn't it Rats? What a strong storyline. But I'm not sure how much more I can take. :o

Surely Ian and Kirsty will be the ones won't they? :?: :?:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 31st, 2016, 6:58 pm

I hope so ... 'ThRob' seems to be doing a very good job of turning them all against each other. :td: :td: :td:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 31st, 2016, 7:17 pm

OOOH! Tonight's was good . . . . ;) ;)
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 31st, 2016, 7:40 pm

Missed tonight's :( ...... will listen tomorrow lunchtime .................. :shock:
suffolk
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop