Things you don't see any more

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Things you don't see any more

Postby earthmaiden » January 10th, 2016, 7:44 pm

scullion wrote:
StokeySue wrote:For netball and lacrosse we used to wear what were called divided skits, made of very heavy and scratchy grey wool flannel, they buttoned at the side and had stitched down box pleats, so they were very full around the hem; these were teamed with the same aertex shirt, a white sweat shirt (we called it a wind cheater) and grey socks

This chic little number has died so completely I can't find an online picture of one! Lawd, how we hated them

i'm sure i still have my lacrosse culottes somewhere - exactly as sue describes but in green, matched with a dull gold coloured airtex shirt. we only really wore them for matches -practice (and the games lesson )was conducted in our normal jeans and the wool, green with a dull gold line in the cuff, games jumper if we could get away with it! i may not be able to fit into them now but i could when i was in my forties.
this is the closest i can find to the look of them on the web but ours had three or four buttons and button holes on each side. they suited skinny girls better than the the full bodied ones.

Oh heavens! Ours was a fawn aertex shirt and brown 'shorts' which were more like cullottes really, like a little skirt but with leg dividers, the material wasn't heavy though. Then brown games socks. There was also a white jumper for cold winter days for warming up only. Certainly no jeans, even for practice. I wouldn't want to try to fit into them now, I loathed lacrosse and all other games :evil: For gym we had light blue zip up tunics with matching big cotton knickers.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 10th, 2016, 7:52 pm

Jeans were banned at my school. I can't remember wearing trousers until the sixth form and I don't think tracky bottoms existed. My knees were always red.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 10th, 2016, 9:13 pm

We (at boarding school) were only allowed to wear trousers or jeans to go out during free time on weekend afternoons in the school grounds (full uniform if out of the grounds apart from Sundays when an afternoon dress was permissible under the school coat). Then back into a skirt for tea - ladies did not wear trousers into a dining room or drawing room! I had never heard of a track suit.

Yes, it was the 'swinging sixties'!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby aero280 » January 10th, 2016, 11:38 pm

I had a track suit in the "faded fifties"!! :) They were unisex - elastic waist and no flies. And made of heavy material that you didn't want to get wet.

Then it all went Adidas and shell suits. :D
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby scullion » January 10th, 2016, 11:50 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:Jeans were banned at my school.

uniform was banned at my school (except for the practicality of games uniform - loosely adhered to) - for borders and daybugs.
scullion
Registered

Postby spotteddick » January 11th, 2016, 7:05 am

You had to wear short trousers until 2nd form, then allowed long school uniform grey trousers. I hated my short trousers, they were made of a scratch material and in winter you had a weal around your legs in fact you had two because the other one was made by the Wellington boots rubbing midway up your calf. The upper ones would take on a different position because the shorts were made to last the two years, so 1st year they would be just above the knees while the second year were depending on your growth rate quite a bit higher. But after that it was great as you could shove your long trousers inside of the Wellies. In winter as we had to go through a long farm lane we took our black shoes, along with our sanders, footy boots and strips in an ex-army Haversack (mother believed that as football was part of the school curriculum that they should supply the gear, dad with a roll of the eyes just went out and bought it. I had my first track suit when I started cross country in earnest (I was a good whippet, even winning the junior (under 16) Chevy Chase), I loved cross country running, but always thought that the powers to be were a bit depraved, why the hell does it have to be in winter in freezing, icy, windy and wet conditions. There was never enough (if any) showers at the finish and if a late comer never any warm water left. :cry: (though as I was always amongst the first it didn't apply to me).
Cheers

Dick

Just because you're wandering doesn't mean you're lost!!

http://spotteddick-itsallinthegame.blogspot.com/
spotteddick
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 11th, 2016, 9:52 am

I don't know why, but this morning "go faster stripes" popped into my head

Remember people decorating their old banger cars with chequered tape? :D
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 11th, 2016, 9:56 am

I had a track suit at about the same time Aero with the Gosforth Harriers logo - this was absolutely forbidden at school though. As you say they were really thick and utterly horrible when wet. They also took hours to dry in a non-central heated house.

Dad bought me my first trousers for my 10th birthday and a waterproof jerkin. He did this without telling Mum who though it was just not appropriate for a girl. She never owned a pair of trousers in her life.

I remember feeling really sorry for the boys in my primary school having to wear short trousers. Mind you the female alternative, scratchy serve tunics with lisle thread stockings underneath held up by rubber buttoned suspenders attached to the aforementioned liberty bodice were not very comfortable either
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby aero280 » January 11th, 2016, 10:20 am

I remember when our headmaster announced that we were no longer required to wear school caps, just uniform. He also instructed us not to celebrate the fact and let it happen quietly because he had not told anyone that it would happen. He especially told us not to make a bonfire of the caps because that would bring it to the attention of the authorities and they might reverse his decision.
aero280
Site Admin

Postby uschi » January 11th, 2016, 10:58 am

We were fortunate, no school uniforms here, except for gym and games. In the first years we had to wear orange shorts and a white vest with the school logo on it. After '77 even this faded away and we wore what we liked.

I know that many think uniforms are great levellers, but in our days there were so many styles to chose from that even the poorest mite could get by sartorially, because so many others wore second hand clothes out of principle rather than necessity. We had punks, trendy kids, the forerunners of Goths, the "bible belt" brigade in velour tops with printed kerchieves around their necks, often coupled with corduroy jeans or pleated skirts, "freaks" in parkas, jeans and check flannel lumberjack shirts. It was fun and we got it all out of our systems before we left school. 8-) :lol: :lol: :lol:
uschi
Registered

Postby icelesley » January 11th, 2016, 11:16 am

Men with sandwich boards announcing the end of the world is nigh are rare these days
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby scullion » January 11th, 2016, 11:20 am

that's because it came and went.
scullion
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 11th, 2016, 11:38 am

Do the Hare Krishna still dance up and down Oxford Street jingling their bells?
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 11th, 2016, 11:54 am

Pepper Pig wrote:Do the Hare Krishna still dance up and down Oxford Street jingling their bells?

I saw some quite recently, I was surprised! :o
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby aero280 » January 11th, 2016, 11:58 am

We have the posh Hari Krishna along the road. All the events they organised cause traffic jams, mostly consisting of very large Mercedes. They even had a new road built for them as the lanes were too narrow!

http://www.bhaktivedantamanor.co.uk/home/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby uschi » January 11th, 2016, 12:26 pm

There are certain breeds of dogs that have fallen completely out of favour (yes, yes, dogs are not things!!!).
When I was a child you saw mostly red, long-haired dachshounds, but very few rough ones. It's been ages since I saw a red one.
It's similar with poodles. There were poodles galore, even the large ones in the '60s until they were replaced by Yorkies.

Foxterriers and Ayredales seem to have vanished, too, same as German Spitzes. You are lucky to see a Keeshond these days, or maybe a Pom, but no medium sized ones, especially the white variety. I suppose they are too noisy for appartment blocks.
uschi
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 11th, 2016, 12:47 pm

Haven't seen a Chow for years, or a St Bernard. It's all puggles and labradoodles round here. :o
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 11th, 2016, 12:51 pm

For some reason, Uschi's post brought these to mind ... I thought they were so cool, my mother said they were silly because they hardly held any shopping! I had a toy one though. Haven't seen one for years.

Most un-PC nowadays but do you remember Winkie Dolls? I still have a small one.
Attachments
gondala.jpg
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby FoodMary » January 11th, 2016, 1:03 pm

Just reading back!

Yes Rats, we wore our knickers for PE and sports until we were 14 when we had shorts not unlike a divided skirt with box pleats. I was quite young when I was chosen for the Hockey team so got my pleated shorts a year earlier (they nearly reached our knees anyway!!)

I don't know if I've said this before but our Head was a Scottish Presbyterian called Elizabeth Stewart and constantly reminded us that we "Should not have any thoughts which took our thoughts away from thoughts of God". Chance would be a fine thing!!! :lol: :oops:

Mary J
I even dream about food!
FoodMary
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 11th, 2016, 1:18 pm

Love it Mary. No wonder we grew up the way we did!
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby uschi » January 11th, 2016, 11:25 pm

I had one of these baskets, too, as a child. You still see them at artisan fairs and Christmas markets here.
uschi
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » January 12th, 2016, 12:33 am

Wide bodied thermos flasks for ice cream (ours was a mottled green!)

Primus stoves when camping (particularly useful for the shrimps we caught!)

Spong mincers (go on, you're all going to tell me you have one now!)

And least, but not least, crumpet forks!!!
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby aero280 » January 12th, 2016, 12:43 am

Of course I have a Spong mincer!! :D It's one that my mother had. The one with the clamp that ruined the edge of the table!! :shock:

Also a newer one that has a suction cup under it.
aero280
Site Admin

Postby suffolk » January 12th, 2016, 7:23 am

Tiger tails hanging from rear view mirrors and scooter aerials
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 12th, 2016, 7:56 am

Sloe-Gin wrote:Wide bodied thermos flasks for ice cream (ours was a mottled green!)

So was ours! One of the first times I was allowed to walk to the local shop on my own was with the flask to buy a small block of ice cream. We always took the flask to carry it home in - we lived less than 5 minutes walk from the shop!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 12th, 2016, 9:52 am

Never encountered ice cream in Thermos flasks - in my life they were for hot soup for reviving small children who had been swimming off the local beach!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby uschi » January 12th, 2016, 10:10 am

Most German households have these mincers - only they have never been used to mince meat. Instead we get them out at Christmas time, along with the special attachments at the front that German mincers have, and then we make biscuits with them.

uschi
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » January 12th, 2016, 12:22 pm

Someone bought me one of those a few years ago and I was really pleased, until I tried to clean it.
I only used it a few times them chucked it, it took longer to clean it than I spent using it.
In the days before I had a dishwasher of course.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby uschi » January 12th, 2016, 12:29 pm

With the dishwasher it is a doddle. You just take it apart, give the parts a superficial brushing to get rid of larger bits of dough and off it goes. This year the dishwasher was so full that I did it by hand. It didn't take that long. I may get it out again for some summery biscuits with lemon or orange zests.
uschi
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 12th, 2016, 1:28 pm

icelesley wrote:Men with sandwich boards announcing the end of the world is nigh are rare these days

This is a bit Londony but...

tumblr_nbcx7r8pjq1rltygco1_500.jpg
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby spotteddick » January 12th, 2016, 1:38 pm

only they have never been used to mince meat.
Mine is, at least once or twice a month, in fact I used it this morning to mince some turkey breast for spiced turkey burgers for tonight's meal. I also use it when mincing game for burgers or a game loaf.
http://spotteddick-itsallinthegame.blogspot.de/2011/01/game-burgers-and-carrot-cumin-buns.html
I find that you are not always able to get good lamb or mutton mince and you can never get minced game, so the only option is to mince your own so out comes the trusty mincer, it also means that you can vary the size of the mince by changing the die plate at the front. I am now off to clean, oil and put it away in its ziplok bag until the next time.
Cheers

Dick

spotteddick
Registered

Postby spotteddick » January 12th, 2016, 1:43 pm

Anyone in the boy scouts encountered, Tilly lamps, Primus stoves and Bell tents, along with entrenching tools and biscuit tin ovens :tu:

ah we ad nowt but we made do wi wat little we had and wu wuz appy :lol:
Cheers

Dick

spotteddick
Registered

Postby spotteddick » January 12th, 2016, 1:48 pm

As for wide necked Thermos flasks, I still have 2, I use these when needing to keep food either hot or cold when transporting stuff between Lübeck and Kiel for dinner parties, it will be used this coming weekend for our dinner party in Kiel. I will also use it in the garden in Summer to keep a ready supply of ice cubes ready for the cocktails. :cocktail: :drool:
Cheers

Dick

spotteddick
Registered

Postby Bubbles » January 12th, 2016, 2:08 pm

My mum had an electric clothes drier ( think it was called Flatley) which consisted of a large square metal box with wooden bars inside. But we also had a wooden pulley airer which was raised up to the ceiling. These were used after a spin in the twin tub! I remember we had a gas 'fridge too.
Bubbles
Registered

Postby Busybee » January 12th, 2016, 2:36 pm

Bubbles wrote: But we also had a wooden pulley airer which was raised up to the ceiling.

I still use one of these in our cottage. The heat from the Rayburn plus under floor heating means I have no need of a tumble dryer. Fantastic.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 12th, 2016, 2:46 pm

I want one of those, but my 6ft 4 husband said no. House in France: in sufficiently solid ceiling surfaces.

My mother had one in he garage.

Have those hairdryers with plastic hoods to put on your head been mentioned?
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby aero280 » January 12th, 2016, 2:48 pm

We had a pulley airer over the Rayburn at home when I was young, but it doesn't work in modern houses with low ceilings.
aero280
Site Admin

Postby aero280 » January 12th, 2016, 2:49 pm

How many TV aerials do you see now? Not the dishes, the old H and X aerials.
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Seatallan » January 12th, 2016, 3:00 pm

aero280 wrote:How many TV aerials do you see now? Not the dishes, the old H and X aerials.

Funny- I was thinking exactly the same the other day :D

suffolk wrote:Tiger tails hanging from rear view mirrors and scooter aerials

Oooh yes- that takes me back! On a similar theme, do you remember 'Dukes of Hazard' car horns? It's been ages since I heard one of those.

Re primus stoves- that SO takes me back to family picnics when I was a child. I can see us now, in some windy lay-by or sand-dune, huddled behind the windbreak (stripy deckchair material) with my father, his hair flapping across his face in the force-9 gale we always seemed to be in the path of, attempting to light the primus stove. Ah, happy days... :lol:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Busybee » January 12th, 2016, 3:05 pm

aero280 wrote:We had a pulley airer over the Rayburn at home when I was young, but it doesn't work in modern houses with low ceilings.

The only drawback is that you do have to think about when you do the washing and what you are cooking, else your clothes can end up smelling of what you had for dinner! I tend to put the washing on after we eat in the evening and then hang the clothes on the Shiela/maiden overnight, then they are ready for ironing in the morning.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby spotteddick » January 12th, 2016, 3:35 pm

Outside Loos, well with the exception of doorways, lifts and stairwells on a Friday and Saturday late evening :?
Cheers

Dick

spotteddick
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 12th, 2016, 3:39 pm

I remember a toy stove that actually burned the Primus fuel tablets to give a real flame (not mine but a friend's, circa 1960)
Her mother tried to claim she couldn't get the fuel tablets, but of course we knew every boat chandler sold them and we lived near the harbour!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » January 12th, 2016, 4:27 pm

I had one of those for Christmas around that time, along with some Mini pots and pans, but it only had two tablets ( I was told they weren't obtainable locally :lol: ) so after they were used under close supervision I had to use my imagination. Saw one at a toy Fair about 5 years ago, think the stallholders wanted more for it than mum paid originally

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 12th, 2016, 5:26 pm

Did anyone else have those cut-out books where there was a paper lady and you coloured her in and then cut out the coloured-in paper clothes and folded them onto her? I always thought they were most unsatisfactory. :( :( And there was another type of colouring book that you just painted water on and it was supposed to show the picture in all different colours but it always smudged.

Or maybe that was just me. :?
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 12th, 2016, 6:01 pm

I smudged the Magic Painting books too :(

You got cut out dolls on the back of Judy (iirc) comic too - I think you were supposed to stick them to cereal packet card before you cut them out
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » January 12th, 2016, 6:04 pm

I used to collect Bunty dolls every week, trouble was each week the outfits 'fitted' a different pose of cut out doll, and I couldnt be bothered to cut out the dollies every week, now I spend a lot of time cutting out paper shapes, how times change :lol:

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby Luca » January 12th, 2016, 6:22 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:Do the Hare Krishna still dance up and down Oxford Street jingling their bells?

They are usually present in Covent Garden mid to late afternoon on a Friday.
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby Bubbles » January 12th, 2016, 6:22 pm

Busybee wrote:
Bubbles wrote: But we also had a wooden pulley airer which was raised up to the ceiling.

I still use one of these in our cottage. The heat from the Rayburn plus under floor heating means I have no need of a tumble dryer. Fantastic.
Yes it was great in our Victorian tenement with high ceilings. Shame most new houses would not accommodate them!
BB
Bubbles
Registered

Postby Seatallan » January 12th, 2016, 6:53 pm

StokeySue wrote:I smudged the Magic Painting books too :(

And me. In fact, they were complete pants weren't they? :D

Do little girls still wear knee-high lacey white socks? They used to leave marks on your legs that mimicked the patterns especially in hot weather. :)
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby BrightShazza1 » January 12th, 2016, 7:20 pm

Yes! Until I left my job in Sept, used to see them on Regent St at 4pm every day!
Crisp addict
BrightShazza1
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop