Things you don't see any more

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Things you don't see any more

Postby Chinchilla_lady » January 8th, 2016, 6:14 pm

Sue, I can always make you a card in very interesting shapes and sizes, colours and designs to suit the recipient. Most of mine do have to be sent in the large category, they come with an envelope too. Let me know if you want any and I will let you know a price, I donate any profit to Cats Protection.

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby Seatallan » January 8th, 2016, 6:27 pm

Milkmen.

And what ever happend to fish men (and women) doing the rounds of the pubs? I shared a house back in the late 80's with a girl who supplemented her income as a fish woman. She sometimes didn't need to bother visiting the local pubs on a Friday or Saturday night as we'd get an attack of the munchies by mid-evening if in, and buy up all her stock. :D
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Gruney » January 8th, 2016, 6:34 pm

Does anyone remember milk bottles with cardboard tops that you had to punch a hole in , and then wrench out?
Gruney
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 8th, 2016, 6:39 pm

Not me. But I do remember when the milkman had a horse drawn cart.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby MrsWWoof » January 8th, 2016, 6:42 pm

I still have milk delivered but not from a proper old fashioned milk float. I've only ever had fish/seafood in the pub when up in the Midlands, never come across it down South.
Hold on . . . until you find your smile again.
MrsWWoof
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 8th, 2016, 6:45 pm

Some of the larger pubs round here used to have a fish stall outside (in the car park or garden) but I do remember them coming round with huge baskets as well - in fact I think some of the baskets may have been based on the stalls
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 8th, 2016, 7:00 pm

Singer sewing machine shops, even haberdashers have disappeared. I fancied taking up knitting again about 10 years ago. Took me forever to find somewhere that sold wool. And then I was appalled at the price . . . . . :oops:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby mogatogs » January 8th, 2016, 7:04 pm

We have a smashing knitting shop in Buxton also sells fabrics and patterns, they also do a knitting club once a week which is very popular :tu:
mogatogs
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 8th, 2016, 7:14 pm

We have a very good wool shop that does lots of events and workshops (Knit with Attitude) and a store that sells fabric, more wool, and general craft materials

Both are independent and relatively recent, though doing well
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 8th, 2016, 7:37 pm

Nothing round here. :( Was thinking back to the shops I grew up with. Had intensive hospital care between the ages of 7 - 10 and whenever we came back from London we would buy a cake from Fuller's which was one of the shops in Uxbridge station. There was also a tobacconist where grandpa bought his pipes and fillings. There were public toilets in there too which cost an old penny a go, I never quite understand why people moan about 20p for the loos at St Pancras.

And on the platform they had those punching machines where you could etch your name on a bit of metal. What was that all about?
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » January 8th, 2016, 7:47 pm

I was terribly unwell once after eating a tray of mussels in a pub, well I blamed the mussels :oops: We had a long pile carpet at the time and my timing wasn't good :sprout: Bless Mr C, he married me anyway, and I have never eaten another mussel :lol:

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby spottymint » January 8th, 2016, 8:01 pm

spottymint
Registered

Postby spottymint » January 8th, 2016, 8:05 pm

Eiderdown quilt anyone?

sit down before looking at the price, smelling salts may be handy (yes, you can still buy them in Boots, by the cough and cold)....

http://www.soakandsleep.com/supreme-eid ... wgodcQoMLg
spottymint
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 8th, 2016, 9:19 pm

My husband bought some smelling salts the other week. Not sure why. Probably to go with his handkerchiefs and cut throat razor.

We used to have a haberdasheries 'down the shops' where I grew up in an unremarkable suburb of Sheffield. My parents brought the drawers they had behind the counter when they closed down. There seems to be a resurgence of knitting shops in London at least, I can think of at least three within a few miles of where I live. And there are shops for serious knitters in town e.g. the on on the Cut where I had my terrible crochet lessons. Fabric shops less so. They seem to have them in most places near where are house is in Lower Normandy. I wonder if it is a hobby there as it is here, or more like it was in the UK when I was growing up - a way of saving money. I used to love the massive fabric department that was still on the ground floor of the Oxford St John Lewis when I was an undergraduate.

We had milk delivered from a float until about 10 years ago. My mother remembers going to fetch it in a jug from someone bringing it down the streets in the 30s!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 8th, 2016, 9:45 pm

Pepper Pig wrote: we would buy a cake from Fuller's which was one of the shops in Uxbridge station.

Oh Fuller's cakes! :luv: :luv: I learned recently that they were part of the J Lyons group, but nevertheless they were considered very special weren't they!
When you read about them in people's memoirs they always wax lyrical over the coffee and walnut, however, when we lived in Epsom and my grandfather and his wife visited, they always stopped at Fullers and bought a filled sponge covered in delicious pink icing and little red flower decorations which tasted like real raspberries. It was packed in a lovely cake box tied with ribbon or coloured string or something like that and the anticipation waiting for teatime was almost unbearable! It is one of the things I would love to go back in time and revisit to see how good it really was.

Loving this thread ...!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby uschi » January 8th, 2016, 11:23 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:Braces.

When OH was in the RAF he always wore buttoned braces. I was impressed. 8-) 8-) 8-)

My father wore them until his death. And a nightshirt instead of PJs. Both items are hard to find these days.

As for me, I use paper doiles a lot for my cakes, and even for a carnival hat once. You can still get them in many colours here, as well as gold and silver. Black ones, strangely, can't be found. I bet all those goth girls must be weeping.
uschi
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 9th, 2016, 3:44 am

The nightshirt reminds me of the little net night caps (more sturdy than ordinary hair nets) which my grandmothers' generation wore in bed to keep their hair tidy - they tied under the chin I think.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby spotteddick » January 9th, 2016, 5:09 am

I have 2 night shirts, they are actually Moroccan Kaftans, they are handy for hanging behind the bed room door, in case the door bell rings. I normally sleep in the altogether, except when guests are here, then I have a pair of shorties and a T-shirt . The Kaftans are very nice one is plain white but with very nice silk embroidery around the neck, bottom and sleeves, very fetching, the other is a more plain affair, it is the normal beige and blue striped ones seen hanging around the coffee and tea shops through out North Africa, I think it wasn't actually from Morocco, but from Ceuta in Algeria.
Being a belt man myself, I have never had braces, but when you get a decent set of trousers with a waist coat, they always have the buttons in place just in case the belt does not suffice.
Cheers

Dick

Just because you're wandering doesn't mean you're lost!!

http://spotteddick-itsallinthegame.blogspot.com/
spotteddick
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 9th, 2016, 6:32 am

Still see braces around - especially with formal suits of course (weddings etc) and solicitors and estate agents still seem to go in for them around here.

Proper striped flannelette nightshirts are available on Norwich Market ... or if you fancy the more upmarket ones http://www.volgalinen.co.uk/catalog/bro ... nightshirt
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby jrc » January 9th, 2016, 8:56 am

Due to his medical condition in recent times dad wore braces. Only about six weeks before his passing he bought some new bright red ones.

On Thursday, we saw the solicitor re probate. To swear and sign the Affidavit we had to go to a solicitor along the road. It really threw me when said solicitor was wearing bright red braces. :(
jrc
Registered

Postby icelesley » January 9th, 2016, 9:09 am

:hug: :hug: :hug: Things like that will keep happening for a while JRC. :hug: :hug:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby aero280 » January 9th, 2016, 10:16 am

If you are into knitting etc., there's Mavis on Bushey High Street. Three or four shops along from St James Restaurant.

http://www.mavis-crafts.com/

Mavis has been there since time immemorial! :)
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 9th, 2016, 10:23 am

MrsWWoof wrote:I still have milk delivered but not from a proper old fashioned milk float. I've only ever had fish/seafood in the pub when up in the Midlands, never come across it down South.

I have a choice of 2 milkmen in my village ... I have chosen the local dairy farm to deliver my milk rather than a large organisation.

Mum and Dad used to live next door to the local fishman - well seafood - Sid would deliver whatever seafood you wanted on Sunday morning to the whole village and on Saturday night he had a shell fish stall outside one of the pubs in the village. After he died, he was superseded by a large company who would send vendors into the pubs with everything pre packed :(
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 9th, 2016, 10:24 am

My dad reverted to braces in the 70s after his secretary commented that "self-supporting trousers weren't really designed for a man of your dignified stature (he had a distinct equator at the time) :)
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » January 9th, 2016, 10:54 am

Pepper Pig wrote:Singer sewing machine shops

Ah, now, that's something we do have. There's an old fashioned sewing machine shop just around the corner from us (at Cemetery Junction if you're ever in Reading). I have no idea how it keeps going but it does. :D

Petrol stations with attendants to fill your tank. Are there any left I wonder?
Seatallan
Registered

Postby uschi » January 9th, 2016, 11:04 am

suffolk wrote:Still see braces around - especially with formal suits of course (weddings etc) and solicitors and estate agents still seem to go in for them around here.

Proper striped flannelette nightshirts are available on Norwich Market ... or if you fancy the more upmarket ones http://www.volgalinen.co.uk/catalog/bro ... nightshirt

My father insisted on his having both a shirt collar and a breast pocket. :lol: If you don't mind your flannelette shirt being a bit masculine (collar and pockets), then you can get one from a firm in Saxony.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Herren-Nachthemd-1-1-Arm-Flanell-angerauht-Gr-48-64-Thieme-in-div-Farben-/120971585788?var=&hash=item1c2a77e8fc:m:mH-wQqslig5jxUHYOtWiUIw

A snip at a mere 24 Euro.
uschi
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 9th, 2016, 11:05 am

Yes! When I was in the Dales last year I noticed lot of the petrol stations were attendant only. I thought this was a rare treat. It's down to the restrictions on National Parks where they mustn't have those huge roofs over the garage as they are an eyesore. Similarly no-one living in those areas is allowed to erect a satellite dish.
Last edited by Pepper Pig on January 9th, 2016, 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Seatallan » January 9th, 2016, 11:27 am

Cool! :D
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 9th, 2016, 11:35 am

Uschi, those look like the ones on Norwich market :D
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby uschi » January 9th, 2016, 11:48 am

Suffolk, if they are by Thieme (Atisa/Fauser) then I can vouch for their quality. It says here that you can wash them only at 40°C, but I've had to wash them at 95°C after some accidents with the stoma, but they came out fine.
uschi
Registered

Postby scullion » January 9th, 2016, 12:01 pm

there's a singer shop in truro.
there's also the brilliant sewing studio in redruth.
scullion
Registered

Postby FoodMary » January 9th, 2016, 1:28 pm

My first Singer machine had a treadle, it had belonged to my Paternal Grandmother and I had it for years until my Ma bought me a (then) very expensive electric machine when I married.

My liberty bodices had boilable buttons and my knickers had button holes at the waist so that the two items could be "joined". My knickers also had a pocket for my handkerchief.

Mary J
I even dream about food!
FoodMary
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 9th, 2016, 1:49 pm

Mary did you have to wear your pocketed Knickers to do gymn and even games?? I did and when i got to be 16 and in a co-ed school I found it very uncomfortable and, as I was a member of an athletic club I asked if I could wear my tracksuit bottoms. I was told no so I got both my mother and the captain of the athletics club to lobby on my behalf and was evetually graciously allowed to wear a "games skirt" Mr Rats, who came to the school when I was in the 6th form, still teases me about the knickers with the blue mottled legs sticking out of them - I am talking winters in the NE here.
Last edited by Ratatouille on January 9th, 2016, 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 9th, 2016, 2:49 pm

We used to wear thick navy cotton knickers for gym and dancing only in high school but for outdoor PE as well in prep school (up to 11)
The outfit (in high school) was navy knickers, with aertex shirt and bare feet
For netball and lacrosse we used to wear what were called divided skits, made of very heavy and scratchy grey wool flannel, they buttoned at the side and had stitched down box pleats, so they were very full around the hem; these were teamed with the same aertex shirt, a white sweat shirt (we called it a wind cheater) and grey socks

This chic little number has died so completely I can't find an online picture of one! Lawd, how we hated them
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 9th, 2016, 3:23 pm

earthmaiden wrote:The nightshirt reminds me of the little net night caps (more sturdy than ordinary hair nets) which my grandmothers' generation wore in bed to keep their hair tidy - they tied under the chin I think.

My mum still wears a hair net (not sure if that's what you meant though) in bed. She has been having her hair permed since about 1944 and puts a couple of rollers in at night :)

Blue and lilac etc. rinses. Not so common amongst ladies of pensionable age these days.

Actually, I have seen three people with lilac hair today, but all in their 20s/30s.

My piano teacher used to have a lilac rinse.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 9th, 2016, 3:42 pm

Oooh, lilac rinses. Weren't they dreadful?

You don't see many people with gold teeth these days. They were very fashionable at one time.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 9th, 2016, 4:05 pm

I just checked

You can still buy a Boots Essentials "Slumber Net" in a choice of 4 shades, for £1, bargain!

Do you remember sitting under saloon dryers with a heavy duty net over the rollers and little paper cones over your ears?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » January 9th, 2016, 5:03 pm

StokeySue wrote:Do you remember sitting under saloon dryers with a heavy duty net over the rollers and little paper cones over your ears

:D

I remember my mum doing that and my older sister but it was out of fashion by the time I started using a hairdresser. Do you remember the way highlights used to be applied? You'd have to don a cap (like a swimming cap) with holes punched in it and the hairdresser would yank bits of hair through the holes with a metal implement. It was really painful! :)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Seatallan » January 9th, 2016, 5:09 pm

..Plastic rain hats! Haven't seen anyone wear one of those for donkey's years. You could get them with little spots on and all sorts of things. :D
Seatallan
Registered

Postby MrsWWoof » January 9th, 2016, 5:20 pm

Oooh yes, I remember the hours of suffering I went through getting my thick, wavy and long hair highlighted through the cap. They didn't have to wrap my head in a warm towel to get the colour to take as my scalp was roasting from having had my hair pulled through the cap, the actual pulling through bit usually taking in the region of two hours!
Hold on . . . until you find your smile again.
MrsWWoof
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 9th, 2016, 6:13 pm

Seatallan wrote:..Plastic rain hats! Haven't seen anyone wear one of those for donkey's years. You could get them with little spots on and all sorts of things. :D

Very popular round here,the Orthodox Jewish ladies wear them to cover expensive hats or wigs, and you can get special ones to cover hijab scarves

I think I'm happy I've never been highlighted, the recent silver ones are 100 % natural :o
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 10th, 2016, 4:32 pm

I use a shampoo called "A touch of silver" on my silver grey hair. It is purple coloured but it doesn't make my hair purple or even mauve, I'm a huge fan, so is my hairdresser, she says no such thing available in France because most French women don't want grey hair... I reminded her of Christine lLagarde!
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 10th, 2016, 5:54 pm

Aw, that's lovely Rats!

Nicotine-stained fingers. Anyone remember them? :evil: :evil: :evil:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby scullion » January 10th, 2016, 6:16 pm

StokeySue wrote:For netball and lacrosse we used to wear what were called divided skits, made of very heavy and scratchy grey wool flannel, they buttoned at the side and had stitched down box pleats, so they were very full around the hem; these were teamed with the same aertex shirt, a white sweat shirt (we called it a wind cheater) and grey socks

This chic little number has died so completely I can't find an online picture of one! Lawd, how we hated them

i'm sure i still have my lacrosse culottes somewhere - exactly as sue describes but in green, matched with a dull gold coloured airtex shirt. we only really wore them for matches -practice (and the games lesson )was conducted in our normal jeans and the wool, green with a dull gold line in the cuff, games jumper if we could get away with it! i may not be able to fit into them now but i could when i was in my forties.
this is the closest i can find to the look of them on the web but ours had three or four buttons and button holes on each side. they suited skinny girls better than the the full bodied ones.
scullion
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 10th, 2016, 6:34 pm

Very fetching! Why have you kept them?
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 10th, 2016, 6:40 pm

ESSO Blue, Pink paraffin. Paraffin heaters.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby scullion » January 10th, 2016, 6:42 pm

when i was skinnier they used to be hauled out for fancy dress parties (along with the lacrosse stick which used to be used for harvesting out of reach apples) - maybe if i lose a stone (+) they'll be re-employed!
they are a very good (flattering) cut - if scratchy.
scullion
Registered

Postby Seatallan » January 10th, 2016, 7:12 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:Nicotine-stained fingers. Anyone remember them?

Oh don't, PP. I used to smoke roll-ups. How I hated the need to pumice my fingers to remove the stains. I'm so glad I quit.
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » January 10th, 2016, 7:19 pm

BooCooTwo wrote:If you don't tell ANYONE I will share with you.....I have wincyette Pjs :oops:

I've got a pair too. They're that little bit warmer for Winter wear.
:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 10th, 2016, 7:35 pm

Ratatouille wrote:I use a shampoo called "A touch of silver" on my silver grey hair. It is purple coloured but it doesn't make my hair purple or even mauve, I'm a huge fan, so is my hairdresser, she says no such thing available in France because most French women don't want grey hair... I reminded her of Christine lLagarde!

I bought some of that for my mother as an extra present for Christmas, as she is always bemoaning the fact that her hair it not white enough. I hope it might brighten it a bit for her. Hopefully her hairdresser will be familiar with it and won't think it will make her hair purple!

She (my mother) still wears plastic rain hoods (as well as hair nets)!
Herbidacious
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop