spiraliser?

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

spiraliser?

Postby Hope » May 3rd, 2016, 2:14 pm

I'm tempted. Should I? If so, what sort?

I'm worried that they might be too hard for me to use, so I'll end up not using it. I don't know anyone who has one that I can borrow.

But I love the idea of veg noodles, salad things, and fun food for my boys, or is it just a fad?
Hope
Registered

Re: spiraliser?

Postby Zosherooney » May 3rd, 2016, 2:16 pm

I seem to remember that Mamta started a thread on this about a year ago?
Last edited by Zosherooney on May 3rd, 2016, 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby icelesley » May 3rd, 2016, 2:20 pm

I must admit I have considered buying one. I would like to try courgette spaghetti instead of pasta. But then I think is it just another gadget destined for the back of the cupboard :rolleyes:

I just found this article http://www.telegraph.co.uk/food-and-dri ... nd-tested/
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby Hope » May 3rd, 2016, 3:47 pm

Thanks Zosh. I found the thread. Certainly won't be buying that one!
Hope
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 3rd, 2016, 4:15 pm

I find the Telegraph article a bit odd
She seems obsessed with having the strips as fine as possible, but if you are using them as an alternative to pasta, usually pasta is at least a little echunky

She also suggests her beetroot noodles with cheese will sever 4 to 6; 225 g cheese (fair enough) to 2 small beetroot? No tone of anyone's 5 a day then
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Hope » May 3rd, 2016, 4:34 pm

I've read reviews and looked at various different ones and I'm confused now. Something to sleep on (possibly for a few months!)
Hope
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 3rd, 2016, 4:39 pm

Hope wrote:Something to sleep on (possibly for a few months!)

Ouch! I don't think a spiraliser makes the most comfortable of matresses. :D
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Hope » May 3rd, 2016, 4:52 pm

:o :lol:
Hope
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 3rd, 2016, 5:14 pm

I bought the Oxo Good Grips one after one of our meals at Zedels ... ... I have some photos to post, but I have the following observations:
Hope, I think this one would be too hard for you to use .. If you can find one where you turn a handle this might be better .. I think Lakeland do one, I've also seen a similar one, but can't remember where :(
To get the best out of the Oxo one, you need the veg to just a bit smaller than the diameter of the gadget, otherwise you get very little spiralised veg and a central core of veg that whilst won't be wasted, certainly isn't shredded - and the large the diameter of the veg, the harder it is to spiralise - carrots for instance. Courgettes should be easy and raw beetroot wasn't too bad ..
I will now try and find the photos ...
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 3rd, 2016, 5:18 pm

DSCN2797.JPG

Carrots ... the first thing I tried.... no nice long spirals ... I couldn't find a carrot thick enough :(
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 3rd, 2016, 5:21 pm

DSCN2804.JPG

Beetroot .. a lot of waste towards the end

DSCN2803.JPG

Better spirals... but hard work :(
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 3rd, 2016, 5:22 pm

What isn't apparent is that there is a disc that fits in the end that holds the veg while you turn it like a key .. Needless to say it has stayed in the drawer ever since ..
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby scullion » May 3rd, 2016, 6:23 pm

my daughter tried a few and in the end came down on the lakeland julienne peeler - she gave one to me for christmas - it's simple, small, has no real moving parts and sharp - and as long as you keep the veg on a chopping board while you shred it you don't damage yourself! it produces very good 'spaghetti'.
scullion
Registered

Postby Hope » May 3rd, 2016, 6:38 pm

Thanks Patsy. That does look a bit awkward to use.

Scullion that looks a goodun. Bit worried about my fingers, but read the reviews and someone said to hold the veg with a fork. Is it hard to pull it through the veg, especially harder ones? (I have enough trouble peeling them sometimes!)
Hope
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 3rd, 2016, 7:03 pm

Found this review

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/content/test ... -juliennes

Actually it rates the Oxo Good grips as one of the best as value for money .. :rolleyes: :?
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby scullion » May 3rd, 2016, 7:10 pm

Hope wrote:. Is it hard to pull it through the veg, especially harder ones? (I have enough trouble peeling them sometimes!)

i don't find it hard but then i don't have a grip problem. it's 'hellish' sharp and i've raked my hand a couple of times when i've held the veg instead of putting it on a board.
it's not a great deal to lose if it doesn't suit you - or save the packaging and your receipt and take it back if you can't use it!
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 3rd, 2016, 8:34 pm

I have julienne peeler too
I find it great for making a quick salad or noodle soup for lunch and I don't find it too hard to use although I do have a slightly reduced grip
However I think the shreds are too fine to substitute well for pasta such as linguine, and I'd find it tedious to make more than two portions

Last time I was in Lakeland they had packs containing the julienne cutter, a peeler and something else (corer?) by Kuhn Rikon, so probably good, for about a tenner
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 27th, 2016, 8:56 am

Linking to another thread - I've just seen an ELECTRIC spiralizer on QVC
I think that's the answer - it seemed to cut both courgetti and ribbon noodles well and easily

Someone should make an attachment for a food processor

They are brand new, and there seem to be two in the offing
A Kenwood
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kenwood-Spiralizer-Litre-White-Green/dp/B01DNVO03K/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1469609082&sr=8-7&keywords=vegetable+spiralizer+electric

And the Morphy Richards that QVC have
http://www.qvcuk.com/Morphy-Richards-Electric-Spiralizer-with-2-Blades.product.805243.html?cm_sp=VIEWPOSITION-_-2-_-805243
Also on Amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Morphy-Richards-432020-Electric-Spiralizer/dp/B01FHJIOCY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469609082&sr=8-1&keywords=vegetable+spiralizer+electric
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Hope » July 27th, 2016, 9:11 am

Oooh, Sue, electric ones sound just perfect as I don't have to do any more than press a button! I still haven't got one as I couldn't decide, so gave up! This might go on my christmas list!
Hope
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 27th, 2016, 9:36 am

The Good Grips spiralizer I bought from Whole foods sits mainly in the utensil drawer ... I am disappointed in the amount of waste you get with it.. I found no success with carrots (with hindsight you need big fat ones), courgettes were OK if you got big fat ones, and raw beetroot not too bad, but mainly the wrong shape entirely .. ..:(
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 27th, 2016, 11:04 am

I like the sound of the electric ones! I do use my spiraliser - it does create waste but the waste can be used for other things or eaten as cook's perks!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 2nd, 2017, 12:08 pm

When I was last in M'sons I spotted a Joie veggie spaghetti, which looks like a small cone, mine is green and was £3. I have just got around to trying it and it is really good. I have done carrot and courgette but can see that 'snips will work as well. I was put off buying one of the 'machines' having to store it when not in use and cleaning it. This is small and quick and will happily have a quick rinse.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 2nd, 2017, 12:17 pm

I got tge Morphy Richards one when it was on offer in Morrisons
I quite like it but wouldn't have paid full price. There's a bit if a knack to getting tge best out of it, but once you have it, it's pretty good
Downside is the bits are not for the dishwasher

I actually use the blade that makes strips with square cross-section to cut julienne
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » December 3rd, 2017, 9:58 am

i have one of the green cones - bought n a whim for £1.50 or so at the range. i only tried it the once and went back to using the julienne peeler. it's now somewhere in a drawer. i think my veg was too big for it.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » December 3rd, 2017, 3:38 pm

I bought one when they first hit the market. I've used it twice. I don't actually like eating spaghetti-like things, I realize, including spaghetti. Too awkward to eat, with potential for food-splatter all over your face. Unless you chop them up, in which case.... however, that said, the second time I used it, it was to make celeriac remoulade. It was easier than any other method of creating the vaguely required shaped and sized pieces of celeriac. I chopped up the spirals, of course, to achieve this..
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 3rd, 2017, 4:58 pm

Herb, I was thinking the same, I have one of those razor sharp graters that are positively dangerous and found that even on the big grate it was not coarse enough so will be using the new 'cone' for remoulade.

Very late sunday lunch of pork with prunes and a mix of cous cous with spiralled carrot, sliced courgette and leek and some black beans - very tasty :chops:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » December 3rd, 2017, 10:19 pm

I think the thing about it is that is kind of fun to do :)
Herbidacious
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop