CHATTERBOX LXXVI - MARY ....

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

CHATTERBOX LXXVI - MARY ....

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 8th, 2017, 9:37 am

In memory of my god-mother who's name I was given .... (that is the M in PatsyMfagan ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Re: CHATTERBOX LXXVI - MARY ....

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 8th, 2017, 9:38 am

phew, that was hot work ... sorry for such a plain name ... I was caught unawares, I had no idea at all that I was pregnant ... and this is a first for me (on here anyway ! ;) ) :aww:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » April 8th, 2017, 9:43 am

Well done Patsy, Mary was also my favourite Auntie when I was little, gone now, but never forgotten.

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 8th, 2017, 9:55 am

Lovely Patsy! Well done :cocktail: :cocktail:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 8th, 2017, 9:57 am

Hello :wave:
I was predicting a boy, but here we are with Mary :D
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby liketocook » April 8th, 2017, 10:02 am

Morning everyone,
Congratulations on the birth Patsy :D

I'm feeling spoiled my son made the most gorgeous meal last night, bought all the bits I didn't have and cleared up the kitchen afterwards while I had a couple :cocktail: :D

The sun looks as though it might break through this afternoon so hopefully I might get out for a bit. No food plans yet I'll see what "the boy" is doing later (he might visit his Dad this evening) and decide from there :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby scullion » April 8th, 2017, 10:12 am

Postby StokeySue » April 8th, 2017, 10:57 am
I was predicting a boy, but here we are with Mary

transgender - used to be mario.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 8th, 2017, 10:14 am

Mario? Does s/he do plumbing?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby liketocook » April 8th, 2017, 10:20 am

transgender - used to be mario.
Mario? Does s/he do plumbing?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
liketocook
Registered

Postby scullion » April 8th, 2017, 10:20 am

she probably does. her blue dungarees are now flowery but the high heels stop her from jumping over things as she did in her previous form.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 8th, 2017, 10:40 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 8th, 2017, 11:10 am

StokeySue wrote:Hello :wave:
I was predicting a boy, but here we are with Mary :D

Ooops, sorry forgot it should have been a boys name... I was so flustered that I could only think of Mary .. :oops:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby FoodMary » April 8th, 2017, 11:36 am

I haven't been on here for ages and here I am alongside my namesake. I was called Mary because my Dad was serving in the North Atlantic in 1942 and my Ma was in Plymouth heavily pregnant. When I was born she sent him a telegram saying "It's a girl, what shall we call her?"

The reply.............. "Mary is as good as anything" :lol:

I haven't been around much as I have been having trouble with the second hip replacement. Lots of hospital visits and even more physio leaving me shattered and not very chatty. However, all's well that ends well and I have been given my freedom now!!

Mary J
I even dream about food!
FoodMary
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 8th, 2017, 12:01 pm

Good to see you Mary :D I had been wondering ...
FoodMary wrote: I have been given my freedom now!!

:scared: :lol: :lol: :lol:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 8th, 2017, 12:30 pm

Afternoon everyone and welcome Mary - of whatever sex :wave: If it is of any help lots of french men has Marie in their names. Our very good friend is Marie-Bernard.

Sorry to be late but a friend from England rang earlier in dire distress. They were in paris for a family reunion and he had his wallet and driving licence stolen, he has had his identity stolen and has received 2 fines from the French police for serious traffic offences - after he returned to the UK. He doesn't speak french, the UK police say there is nothing they can do but he has proof that is was back home when the offences were committed.

Lovely to see you Mary but sorry to hear about the hip. i have a friend in the UK who has had so many problems with hers she is now severely depressed, so glad you are making a recovery eventually and keep up the good work.

Hope the weekend is as beautiful weatherwise where you are as it is here.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » April 8th, 2017, 12:33 pm

For me - personally I was christened Mary as a first name and have always hated it - I don't want anyone taking offence, I opted at 13 to adapt my 2nd name and have used that ever since. I have no problem calling others who are Mary's by that name, just glad I had a 2nd name to jump to. Dad kept calling me Mary so I stopped answering to it. He got cross and demanded to know why I would not answer, so I asked him why he gave me two names........ He did change his ways ! Eventually ! :D
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » April 8th, 2017, 12:37 pm

StokeySue wrote:I was predicting a boy, but here we are with Mary

We have all been taught to be neutral about gender this days :D So hello , Mary. Personally I am not keen on plumbers called Mario or to be more specific, Marios, they let you down :evil: .
Sorry to read that your hip is still giving you problems, Mary, I hope that it is settling down,

I am making a Lamb & Butternut Squash tagine from a recipe in Sabrina Ghayour's Persiana, I had to laugh at one of the ingredients, 2 heaped tbsp. clear honey, try as I might I cannot get the honey to stay in a heap :rolleyes:

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Cheezy_Jazzy » April 8th, 2017, 4:02 pm

AFternoon all :hug:

Congratulations Patsy :D

What a beautiful day it has turned out to be. Had my hair done this morning and then out for lunch with my mum this afternoon. I was supposed to be doing a surprise afternoon tea for mum today as it was her birthday last week but due to some health issues this week I didn't feel up to it. I have promised I will do it another day for her.

:D
ImageImageImageImage
Cheezy_Jazzy
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 8th, 2017, 9:44 pm

So pleased to see you FoodMary, I too have been thinking of you lately. I do hope you really are on the mend now. :hug:

My middle name is Mary, I am the 6th generation with it in my name somewhere. I hated it as a child but feel a lovely sense of pride to have the same name as my forbears now. The first boy I ever kissed was called Mario :oops: , he was not a plumber.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » April 9th, 2017, 6:02 am

Morning all. I'm another middle name Mary. :tu: :lol:

It's lovely here this morning. The dogs are laying in the back garden already and I'm just finishing my 2nd cup of Rooibos before going for my swim.

Have just discovered that our new TV doesn't support our old DVD player as it (the TV) doesn't have SCART leads. Any advice on new DVD players very welcome although I do realise they are quickly becoming things of the past.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » April 9th, 2017, 6:04 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, a lovely morning here, yesterday was dreary with a little rain.
We have got to the time of year where you do not know what to wear. I start off in a long sleeved top, by midday I could be sleeveless then it is long sleeves again.

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » April 9th, 2017, 7:09 am

Morning all, Another stunning start to the day, I think tea will be taken in the garden, nether BBQ for late lunch and his hammock may even get put together !
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Luca » April 9th, 2017, 7:10 am

Gloriously sunny here and predicted to reach 23 I read...... A quick trip to the garden centre and out into the garden for me. It was lovely yesterday too and I managed to get a bit of a tan.... must put sunscreen on today! Pimm's was on special offer at Tesco's so some was bought for pre-summer evaluation purposes.... mint, cucumber, lemonade and strawberries were needed of course in order to complete the process scientifically. ;) :D
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby earthmaiden » April 9th, 2017, 7:54 am

Morning all! Was so tired after long day at work yesterday that I went to bed quite early and woke up at 6.30am - very early for me!
Off to watch Andrew Marr now then off to buy some food and back to spend a long time in the garden tidying up - it's not in a fit state for sitting and sipping Pimms in yet :oops: . Looking forward to visiting the herb man at Devizes market later in the month.

I was just looking at the chicken recipes that PP posted on the Summer Chicken thread. All of them made me drool - I think I might be having chicken and roasted garlic later.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 9th, 2017, 8:16 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
Coffee is being drunk and OH has already gone outside with a wheelbarrow and spade to enlarge the borders in the front garden ... bless him :luv:
We have a chicken, some tarragon and asparagus ......................... :drool:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 9th, 2017, 8:47 am

Pepper Pig wrote:Have just discovered that our new TV doesn't support our old DVD player as it (the TV) doesn't have SCART leads. Any advice on new DVD players very welcome although I do realise they are quickly becoming things of the past.

In similar circumstances I bought a cheap one from Tesco. When I unpacked it there was no sign of the instructions, so I plugged it in, it sprang into life and the instructions popped up on screen, easy as. I found the instruction book caught in the flaps of the box when I flattened it, talking to someone at work in IT, that's typical, all you probably need is a really basic one. Looking at Tesco now they do basic ones like mine from £15 and have a Samsung from £39 that will also play Blu Ray.
Morning all
Lovely day here must get out in it, enjoy the sunshine all
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » April 9th, 2017, 9:08 am

At least DVDs will work in all areas now. There was a time when DVDs were chipped to work on specific continents or areas. I remember buying a DVD player here, the retailer had broken into it to enable it to play anywhere. It was a ploy by the DVD manufacturers to stop you buying them in the USA then playing them in Europe.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 9th, 2017, 10:09 am

Morning Wildies :wave: :luv:

Glad to hear you're on the mend Mary (and hope you'll be posting more regularly now :hug: :hug: ).

Another wonderful day though forecast suggests temperatures will drop back to the seasonal average tomorrow. However, staying dry which is the main thing as I still have heaps of garden tasks to undertake. Have been for a run (wanted to get it in early before it gets too hot) and once I've had breakfast I shall head off to do some chores. Later, I intend to sit in the garden and enjoy the sunshine. :D

Have a splendid Sunday all :luv: :luv:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 9th, 2017, 10:22 am

cyprusmoira wrote:At least DVDs will work in all areas now. There was a time when DVDs were chipped to work on specific continents or areas. I remember buying a DVD player here, the retailer had broken into it to enable it to play anywhere. It was a ploy by the DVD manufacturers to stop you buying them in the USA then playing them in Europe.Moira

:o I had no idea that that had changed ... you mean I really can swap old films with friend in USA now or do you need a modern DVD player or something? I know you used to be able to do it if you had a 'plays all' kind of DVD player but he didn't. We have not found the films I want to share on Netflix etc when I have been there. I have never delved into moving on from DVDs and have no idea how you would collect films and store them to use forever in the way I think one is expected to now. I find it hard enough with photos and have no idea how to store music away from my iplayer. It was so easy when you could just take a record/tape/CD/Video/DVD/photo album from the shelf. Perhaps I should go to classes :lol: .
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby FoodMary » April 9th, 2017, 11:16 am

I have not had a very good weekend so far!! Firstly the electricians came to check our meters (they are in the hallways outside each flat). We do not have keys to the meters but their outer doors are unlocked so that we can check on our usage. Whose meter cupboard door was left locked? Yes........... Mary's!!! Naming no names I have a neighbour (bless him) who has access to a key and now I can check my meter readings!

My lovely DIL Victoria was fifty this weekend. I love her to bits. How she copes with my boy with MND and three children (one is at uni now) plus doing a lot with the WI I will never know - she is always ready with a shoulder when things go wrong for other people but still manages to walk in the forest at least once a week and have the kid's teas on the table when they get home from school and work as an artist at home.

I am hopeless with devices like DVD's, music players and even the odd TV channel gets me grumpy! However I am getting better now I only have myself to depend on and even put a new plug on the hoover recently!

Mary J
I even dream about food!
FoodMary
Registered

Postby liketocook » April 9th, 2017, 12:57 pm

Afternoon everyone
The sun is sort of shining - well it would be if the cloud lifted but it's none too warm! :)

I'm back to cooking for one today until the weekend, toast and bacon for a lateish breakfast so nothing for lunch as yet. I cooked extra potatoes last night so will have these tonight with a bit of steak, I've still got asparagus and green beans so may well use these and a few mushrooms up. I'm hoping to maybe get some more seeds planted for the consevatory shelf later. I've just finished mopping the floors and of course elderly pooch who was fast asleep has now walked all over them......
liketocook
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 9th, 2017, 2:28 pm

Afternoon everyone :wave:

Guests have left and there is not too much washing up because i was well organised for once :D

Gorgeous day but we had to abandon thoughts of anything but drinks in the garden because we have a positive snow storm of rosa and wisteria petals falling on us ( it is a very small garden) and we were constantly being bombed by the solitary bees so we retreated to the veranda. :D There are worse problems in life though.

There was a grand brocante up in the village today (ie flea market) and it was all Mr Rats could do to find a parking space to buy some bread and a paper at 8.00am. lord alone what it was like by midday, He came back saying "The tourists are coming" Time to go to ground.

Hope everyone is having a lovely Sunday.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » April 9th, 2017, 3:57 pm

Ratatouille wrote:"The tourists are coming" Time to go to ground.

They are here in droves too Rats, same problems as you, cant get parked, 40 minute queue in the bank on Tuesday, and walking slowly 5 abreast along the high street. Still, without them we wouldnt have much of a town at all come winter time.

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 9th, 2017, 5:04 pm

I though I'd go and sit in the garden of the café bar round the corner and read
Sun so bright I couldn't see the screen :o
So I'm back and pottering around

I have just discarded the back up disk for Windows XP, I think I can do without it :D
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » April 9th, 2017, 5:19 pm

Sue here's to you - an after BBQ liquor as a dessert ! :tu: :tu:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » April 9th, 2017, 5:51 pm

Ellow! :wave:
My middle name's Marie! :mrgreen:
Been a gorgeous day today, hasn't it! We WERE going to have slow-cooked pork with all the trimmings & YPs, BUT as it's been such a warm day, we had the pork with some SW chips & mixed veg.
We've planted some spuds too.
Home-grown spuds - yummmmmmmm! :chops:
:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » April 9th, 2017, 6:08 pm

A weekend away, a new baby, and sunshine for some. Gloom and murk in N Wales.
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 9th, 2017, 6:13 pm

Sorry SG - it's been Scorchio here ... nearly 24C 8-)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » April 9th, 2017, 6:19 pm

4 more work-shifts for me before my Easter break. :tu:
:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 9th, 2017, 9:42 pm

Ratatouille wrote: "The tourists are coming" Time to go to ground

I felt like that this afternoon, not about tourists but neighbours who appear outside when the sun comes out.

I had just started some peaceful pootling and weeding in the garden when people I have never set eyes on before emerged into the next door but one garden with a kind of music I particularly dislike blaring and proceeded to light what I think of as a firelighter barbecue. My real pet hate is firelighter barbecues and it seems to be the only sort that people round here have. It starts with a smell of petrol, turns into a bonfire smell then ends up with burned beefburger fat smell. I gritted my teeth and stayed out there wondering to myself what music I would choose to play loudly to really irritate people like that :evil: 8-).
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Amber » April 9th, 2017, 9:55 pm

We live in a tourist area too. For Easter and the following bank holidays we tend to hibernate...it's easier.
Amber
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 9th, 2017, 10:48 pm

I was brought up on the south coast, there's a shade of crimson I still think of as 'Birmingham tan' :lol:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » April 10th, 2017, 5:18 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, next weekend is a major barbecue weekend here (Easter) there will be a pall of lamb scented smoke hanging over the island. However I have to admit that Cypriots are experts on their grills, a skill passed from father to son with great pride. Anything from souvlaki to whole sheep will be cooked, maybe a bit of halloumi but no grilled vegetables. A friend of mine lived in a flat above a classic courtyard, she reckoned that her landlady cooked five sides of lamb over the Easter weekend.

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » April 10th, 2017, 8:17 am

Good Morning Wild Ones. What a glorious weekend, wall to wall sunshine. :D I managed to get the pots in order and the greenhouse sorted. :tu: Plants are looking lovely and healthy. Today is overcast and it keeps trying to rain. Three more get ups and I am on holiday for 10 days (including weekends and bank hols) for the price of 4days :D :D :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 10th, 2017, 8:18 am

Morning all! :wave:

I should think the properly barbecued lamb smells lovely Moira :chops: . I love a proper barbecue but object to the kind that several of my neighbours have which seem to involve charring beefburgers over a firelighter :( . I really don't see the point.

Seems very quiet here this morning. Hope everyone is ok. The nice weather was supposed to go away today but we have sunshine again so I'll get the washing out while I can.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby icelesley » April 10th, 2017, 8:19 am

I just noticed we have a new baby, :o welcome Mary and well done patsy :tu:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » April 10th, 2017, 8:26 am

Just to note that our local supermarket has charcoal as a BOGOF all this week :)

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 10th, 2017, 8:50 am

Morning everyone :wave:

Lovely day again to bed changed and linen hung out.

There was a barbecue going on last night up the road. It smelled like lamb, there was certainlly rosemary and galic involved! I do like a good barbie but I.m afraid MR Rats is not allowed anywhere near ours. He has ruined too many good pieces of meat in the past. :scared:

We are not allowed charcoal barbecues after June unless they are built in - far too many forest fires Before DD and family bought the house next door we had a Portugese family next door. They seemed to cook sardines every single night in the summer and very very late at night so the smell of sizzling sardines would drift ithrough our open bedroom window. He haven't eaten grilled sardines since :sprout:
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 10th, 2017, 8:55 am

There is only one place to BBQ and eat grilled sardines and that is on a beach in Portugal .. ;) :tu:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » April 10th, 2017, 8:58 am

Morning all.

StokeySue wrote: Looking at Tesco now they do basic ones like mine from £15 and have a Samsung from £39 that will also play Blu Ray.

Younger son recommended the Samsung too as the TV is also Samsung. I have bought it. There's a nasty cold wind out there today even though the sun is nice and bright.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Next

Return to The Coffee Shop