CHATTERBOX LXXVI - MARY ....

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: CHATTERBOX LXXVI - MARY ....

Postby suffolk » April 13th, 2017, 1:54 pm

We did some googling a few years ago and found out that someone with Pa's name (first and surname) was a rodeo rider ... apparently ... that made Pa chuckle :lol:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby PurpleLuv » April 13th, 2017, 2:06 pm

All done, just the loo's to bleach & wipe :tu:

I picked up a couple of Fuchsia hanging baskets, I'm torn between leaving them in the greenhouse for a week or two or tempting fate & hanging out?
PurpleLuv
Global Moderator

Postby Ratatouille » April 13th, 2017, 2:12 pm

Sue, lovely hat I could go for that. Most half decent summer hats have a draw string inside or an adjustable band whcih lets you adjust it to fit. Ot do as I do with my cheepo hats and tie a silk scarf round the crown so it fits,

Mr Rats has very severe rosacea and was on tablets for ages in the UK they did absolutely nothing. He was sent to a dematologist by our GP here who has been really helpful and he now mostly has it under control - except when he "forgets" to use a high factor sun-block and and/or wear a hat. He was also told that the spicy food thing and the booze were only true to a certain extent and you just have to know your personal triggers. In his case it was the shampoos and other toiletries he was using. Once he had those sorted his rosacea improved. It flares up when. as recently, manufacturers change the formula and getting most of them to admit and tell you what new ingredients are used is pretty darned near impossible
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby liketocook » April 13th, 2017, 3:38 pm

Afternoon everyone

Congratulations to your daughter Suffs :D

Spring is still missing here and doesn't look like perking up for the weekend, double figures would be nice for a change.....

Spent most of the morning sorting out my on-line shopping (fridge tetris anyone? ;) ) and most of this afternoon recovering from it :shock:

The house is "reasonable" and I think I'm more or less ready for my offspring arriving later tonight. I'm really looking forward to having them both home at the same time and my elder son's partner is a lovely girl so it should be a jolly few days. :D
liketocook
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 13th, 2017, 3:57 pm

quote="Ratatouille"]Sue, lovely hat I could go for that. Most half decent summer hats have a draw string inside or an adjustable band whcih lets you adjust it to fit. Ot do as I do with my cheepo hats and tie a silk scarf round the crown so it fits,[/quote]
The drawstring appears to have died unfortunatel, I don't think I could take in enough with a scarf, my head really is small

Ratatouille wrote:He was also told that the spicy food thing and the booze were only true to a certain extent and you just have to know your personal triggers.
[
Yes, the website I linked to has a useful list of triggers, which tells you what % of patients report each one, really only sun is more or less universal, everything else is 5 to 50% If it makes you flush, it's likely to be a problem
Oddly, at the time my rosacea first flared up alcohol did seem to make me flush, but not before or since :?

On make up -- there's a suggestion that the pure mineral powder stuff may even help rosacea, not much evidence, but they are easy to apply, look fairly natural and are unlikely to irritate, I either use tinted block or mineral make up over ordinary. When the rosacea was bad, I used the concealer powder over the red then the foundation on top and it looked OK.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PurpleLuv » April 13th, 2017, 5:08 pm

Oddly, at the time my rosacea first flared up alcohol did seem to make me flush, but not before or since :?

For me, if it's been "oak aged" I get an allergic reaction.
PurpleLuv
Global Moderator

Postby earthmaiden » April 13th, 2017, 8:14 pm

I bought 2 hats after having a Basal Cell Carcinoma removed from my forehead and being told to protect my face from the sun. I found them in a seaside shop in Cornwall and they are remarkably respectable. I do feel a bit silly in them for everyday wear but try to wear them when it's hot (even though the sun's rays don't reserve themselves for that). It's them or a baseball cap - and I'd feel even sillier in one of those.

Long day at work, I'm off to bed. I was under the impression it was Good Friday for a good few hours before I realised otherwise this morning. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » April 13th, 2017, 9:36 pm

Mrs B has to avoid sunlight (transplant patient rather than vampire) as immunosuppression increases the risk of certain skin cancers. She's got a couple of Tilley hats, one is a lightweight navy one. It hasn't been through an elephant, but has floated in the river Lea. She left it in a café once; was pleased when the proprietor found it, less so when he described it as a 'blue cowboy hat'. She's also got a couple of caps; (something of a cross between Carnaby Street & Casey Jones :D ), and a very fetching woolly hat for the winter.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » April 13th, 2017, 11:00 pm

Aww Bless !!!!

Makes me feel a bit more normal knowing that this horrid Rosacea is more prevalent than I first realised....

First you go through teen age spots or acne then you get this......
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » April 14th, 2017, 5:18 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, Flaounes for breakfast, Poppi sent some over the fence yesterday. This is a good cheesy one but not much herbs, family recipes vary.

We are going over to Pissouri later, we usually play Mah Jong at the Artemis but they are getting ready for a large party of visitors so it will be the Delizie instead. This has the advantage of the car wash so we are taking both cars.

Moira :mug:
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 14th, 2017, 6:24 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
OH is at work today and tomorrow so we'll be setting off for MILs tomorrow evening. Today I'll top up the screenwash as we'll be travelling westward 8-) I also need to take various bits of detritus off the back seat and out of the boot :rolleyes:
I 'm thinking of making fish cakes for supper - there's a piece of cod in the freezer and lots of parsley in the garden, and I've some lovely Maris Piper potatoes :hungry:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby PurpleLuv » April 14th, 2017, 6:51 am

Morning all :hug:

I'm fancying spaghetti bolognese tonight so will make the sauce & mince once I'm showered, think its better made & reheated.

Rain here :rolleyes:
PurpleLuv
Global Moderator

Postby Pepper Pig » April 14th, 2017, 6:56 am

Morning all. It has to be fish here on Good Friday so I'll do some salmon steaks.

Can't swim until 10 this morning because of the gym's ridiculous opening hours so I've been to Tesco to finish off the shopping. And I have single handedly walked both dogs round the park. :o I think my new knee is really good! :lol: :lol:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 14th, 2017, 7:17 am

Pepper - that's great :tu: :cocktail: :cocktail: :D

I've just put the sprinkler on the broad beans for 15 mins ... then it's going on the herbaceous perennial beds and then I'll put the soaker hose on the bank for the clematis , honeysuckles and roses. All the fruit bushes will be getting two buckets of water each - three for the pear tree, and several buckets full for the grapevine and the rhubarb.
Bro (big potato farmer) says he and the men will be manning the irrigators all over the Easter boliday ... he's never known the ground so dry this early. :rolleyes:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 14th, 2017, 10:40 am

Well, there you are ...................you all disappeared and all I've been getting since about 8.30 was that snoozing robot ................... mind you, I've done loads in the kitchen and garden :lol:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby cooksalot » April 14th, 2017, 11:21 am

suffolk wrote:you all disappeared

Great - board is back! Wouldn't load this morning....
cooksalot
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 14th, 2017, 11:30 am

Hello :wave: :wave:
Pepper Pig wrote:And I have single handedly walked both dogs round the park. I think my new knee is really good!

:hi5: :hi5: :hi5:

I met the sleeping robot too

Went to backgammon last night, met up with a bunch of old friends, went and had a midnight snack and some wine at my friend's house, uber'd home.
Not as shattered as you might expect, it's a long time since I've done that :D :D

Will get on with decluttering, as I have discovered I can get the Donate pile collected, so worth getting it all done and packed up properly
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 14th, 2017, 11:43 am

While Wildfood was snoozing I have breakfasted on dippy egg and toasty soldiers, fed the birds, watered the entire garden, containers and beds, especially the broad beans and the fruit bushes, been up to the farm shop, cleaned the inside of the car and topped up the screen wash, steamed and mashed potatoes, cooked some fresh cod and smoked haddock, picked and chopped herbs and made it all into lovely fishcakes for supper, washed up, swept the downstairs floors and now I'm ready for some lunch ...............
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » April 14th, 2017, 11:51 am

I missed the snoozing robot but I did get the car washed. :D Deb tried to go to the local supermarket but could not get into the car park, we have never known that happen before. I think that most of the drivers were in the queue for the butcher.

This post has just been interrupted for a flaounes delivery, four lovely looking ones delivered by Hari, Effies son. Effie apologised for the delay but she had to wait to be given the eggs from her Mother's hens, Mrs Christofi also made the cheese.
There are four flaounes, I will freeze a couple when they have cooled down so that my Bro & SIL can have some next week.

PP: glad to read that your knee has settled down

Moving twice in eighteen months does wonders for decluttering :rolleyes:

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » April 14th, 2017, 12:09 pm

PP....so pleased your new knee is working so well, you must think it was worth all the pain now. My surgeon said no one remembers how bad it was the first time, like childbirth, or no one would come back for another. Mine is ok, still not walking very far though. Would help if I lost weight I think...which I know you have done, well done!
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby Hope » April 14th, 2017, 12:21 pm

Nice hat Sue. I have a tiny head, so adult hats don't fit. My sun hat is a girls' one (and it's still a bit big!) I also have to wear children's glasses.

Been in the shed this morning. (Mr Hope took the boys out!) I've been out sat, mon, tues, wed, thurs. 3 times with the family, twice for appointments, I don't feel exhausted. It's lovely. I've been getting over 10 hours sleep at night, so that seems to be the key at the mo. I really really like this. Feel like i can actually participate in my children's lives and live my own life too!
Hope
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 14th, 2017, 12:27 pm

Afternoon everyone :wave:

I met the sleeping robot too but as I was in the throes of hot cross bun making I didn't really stop to see what was wrong.

Anyway said buns out of oven and ready to distribute around the hameau later. Mr Rats has done the "other" traditional Good Friday thing - plant potatoes.
We heard the first nightingale of the year very early this morning. It was really close and woke us both. We both sat upright and said "Nightingale" at the same time, then lay down and went to sleep again.

Beautiful day again and an equally good forecast for Sunday so lunch on the terrce is a distinct prbability.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » April 14th, 2017, 1:07 pm

And finally ! I am back in the room..... Thanks 2 Patsy :luv:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 14th, 2017, 1:08 pm

There you are .... ;) ;) ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby aero280 » April 14th, 2017, 1:10 pm

Hot cross buns for breakfast. I made enough to last until tomorrow night, when the simnel cake can be unwrapped.

Then on a diet until the holiday! :)

All on my own today. OH is singing in a concert in Harrow.

http://www.stjohnsharrow.org/ai1ec_even ... ce_id=3240
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby juliana60 » April 14th, 2017, 2:44 pm

Ratatouille wrote: morning. It was really close and woke us both. We both sat upright and said "Nightingale" at the same time, then lay down and went to sleep again.

LOVE that :luv:
juliana60
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » April 14th, 2017, 3:13 pm

Deb has just returned from the supermarket again, quite civilized this time although there is still a long queue at the butchers.
I have just booked a table up at Stou Kir Yianni, Omohdos for next Friday evening, it will be a very superior meze. They have musicians on Friday and Saturday, a good bouzouki player and a guitarist, it costs extra but is worth it.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » April 14th, 2017, 4:07 pm

aero280 wrote:All on my own today. OH is singing in a concert in Harrow.

http://www.stjohnsharrow.org/ai1ec_even ... ce_id=3240

Aero, in the nineties I was charged with running the children's choir at St George's, Headstone where your OH sometimes performs these days. Gareth Moss and my elder son Tim used to vie for singing Once in Royal at the Christmas services. I'm so pleased Gareth has ended up as a tenor. He had so much talent (but gosh, he was a handful at 8 years old).
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » April 15th, 2017, 5:23 am

Morning all. It appears to have rained a bit overnight but looks fine now.

I think I overdid the exercise yesterday. Am more than a little stiff. I think just a gentle swim is needed. Master Pig can walk the dogs. :o

Lots of food prep today. I have James Martin's chocolate truffle cake to make for a start. The babies want orange jelly too. (I hope there are still instructions on jelly packets)! Suelle's celeriac and parsnip bake can be pre-assembled today as well. I have beef sirloin for mains tomorrow so will have to get my maths head on for how long it will take. :oops:

I suppose I'd better think about what we're having tonight too. Mr Pig has got so conservative in his food tastes since he became ill that cooking the evening meal is never much of a joy. :(

Have a good day everybody. :tu: :tu:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » April 15th, 2017, 6:29 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, Flaounes for breakfast again, this time from Effie's baking.
Moon had another Vietnamese Kitchen event last night, she made an excellent thick soup, chopped prawn and bamboo shoot with lots of herbs.

Because we were out we missed the Good Friday procession going past our house. The ladies of the village decorate a stretcher, representing Christ's bier (epitaph) with flowers, then process around the old village at dusk singing dirges. The young men carry the bier, any who are doing the National Guard are volunteered to do this.
Tonight at midnight it will be a bonfire and fireworks at midnight. The bonfire has been started in the field opposite the church, when I checked on Thursday it was not very big, I hope that it will be better by tonight. In towns there are rival bonfires, defending the wood cache can provoke gang like behaviour, luckily not here.

Edited: I have just seen a posting on a local social media site of the ladies of Pissouri finishing off the epitaph which is beautifully decorated with roses. there is a second clip showing the Boy Scout band leading procession around the village.
Does anyone know how to transfer a clip on a Facebook page to Wildfood?
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » April 15th, 2017, 7:34 am

Morning all, we had heavy drizzle overnight too, mind you my garden needs it. Dull grey day, our task today is to put a pile of stuff on Ebay as they have a special one off entry charge and we need to de-clutter.

We will mostly be eating chicken ! Sarnie for lunch and roast for supper, poached egg on spinach for brekkie.

Have been invited to a fiends 50th Birthday next month so need to source a pressie for her, have also promised to arrive with amuse bouche, something with smoked salmon and cream cheese methinks, maybe in a choux bun ?
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 15th, 2017, 8:05 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
I knew all that watering I did yesterday would do some good ... we had a good steady rain for several hours last night :lol:
OH has thrown some stuff in a suitcase and gone to work ... I'll pack it properly then pack my own stuff, wrap the presents we're taking and make sure the seedlings are fit to be left on their own for a couple of days ... then we'll be off this evening ........
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 15th, 2017, 9:08 am

Morning everyone :wave:

A lovely day, but didn't go to the market far too many tourists and I didn't really need very much as we are not entertaining and going out tomorrow.

Went to bed at 11.00 last night. The windows were open and it sounded like a avant garde opera going on out there. First the toads, then a scops owl, then the frogs down by the stream then the nightgale repeating their songs one after another and all accompanied by a dog barking in the background.

Talking of rain we could do with some, in fact Mr Rats is fixing a new hosepipe this morning. Just watch it rain tomorrow or Monday :rolleyes:

Have a lovely weekend everyone, whatever you are doing.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 15th, 2017, 9:19 am

Morning Wildies :wave: :luv:

It rained a very tiny bit here but not enough to do any good. We bought a water butt the other day and I'm dying for it to rain so I can see if said butt works! :D Have watered the garden so hopefully that'll inspire something to happen (according to the met, there's rain forecast for tomorrow so fingers crossed...)

Glad to see everyone about again- had problems logging in yesterday. Hope you all enjoy your Easter weekend. :hug:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby liketocook » April 15th, 2017, 10:19 am

Morning everyone,

It's still cold here with max temperature forecast as 9C dropping to just above freezing tonight. Chuck in some torrential showers and it's not terribly pleasant.

Offspring have just departed to visit their Dad for the afternoon, so I'm going to start the food prep for tomorrow. The brisket is in the sous vide and I started a yeast "sponge" last night to make bread later. Curry all bar a spoonfool was scoffed last night so I'll have what's left either on toast or in a roll for lunch.
It will just me and younger son for dinner tonight as elder son and his girlfriend are off to Glasgow to see old uni mates, no idea what we'll have yet.

I'm looking forward to a houseful tomorrow but suspect I might be quite happy to be back to a quieter house from Monday... :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » April 15th, 2017, 12:03 pm

Ratatouille wrote:then a scops owl,

I love the sound of Scops Owls calling to each other.
We have rain here, there was only a small chance of rain but it happened :rolleyes: I hope that it clears up in time for tomorrows festivities

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 15th, 2017, 12:15 pm

Moira. The first time I heard a Scop's owl I thought someone in the hameau was using an illegal electronic device and was outrages :lol: :lol:
Here's what i mean:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPH8-tiFKHE
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 15th, 2017, 7:56 pm

Just a quick :wave: .

What an interesting sound that owl makes!

Don't think we've had any rain here. It was lovely coming home from work (the weather I mean, as well as the freedom ;) ).

Hope those with lovely plans for tomorrow have a good time - and those who haven't as well of course! A shame the forecast is poor :(
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby liketocook » April 15th, 2017, 8:10 pm

I'm absolutely shattered though thankfully that's most of the food & tidying up prep done for tomorrow :D . A very late dinner of pork chop is nearly ready and son has bathed elderly pooch so he's smelling much sweeter ;) . Hope everyone's plans for tomorrow work well :D
liketocook
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » April 16th, 2017, 5:48 am

Morning all and a very happy Easter. Bright and cool here. I don't think we will manage lunch in the garden unless the weather does something very unexpected.

Have a lovely day everybody.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » April 16th, 2017, 6:37 am

Kalo Pascha Sas, Happy Easter Wild Ones, there were the usual fire crackers at midnight but I did not see any evidence of the bonfire outside the church, we had heavy rain yesterday afternoon, I suspect that literally put the dampers on it.
The family are starting to arrive next door, it is 9 30 here, so it will not be a peaceful Sunday :rolleyes: You get used to things like that and it is a traditional celebration

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 16th, 2017, 7:55 am

Our Church had bonfire this morning .. something I have never known before. I wasn't there, but someone posted pics on our Village FB group :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby PurpleLuv » April 16th, 2017, 8:08 am

Still getting that robot if I try to get to page 4 of chatterbox direct :?

Today is a cooking & entertaining day, roast leg of Tandori lamb, king prawn naga, chicken madras, butter chicken, spinach & potato, garlic rice, mushroom rice, roasted cumin cauliflower, nanns & dips :hungry:
PurpleLuv
Global Moderator

Postby suffolk » April 16th, 2017, 8:28 am

Well good morning folks :D :mug: we're still in Norfolk ... MIL had forgotten she was out last night playing at a concert (ukelele) so as OH was kn@ckered after a very hectic day at work we decided on a takeaway and our own bed, and will be setting off for South Lincs shortly. It's only a two hour drive so we'll get there by lunchtime :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » April 16th, 2017, 9:01 am

Purps, I had to cancel my quick link and reload it....

Although sporting a slight sore throat I am determined to do another couple of barrows of wood this morning, in readiness for the winter to come !!!!! :scared: :scared: :scared:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » April 16th, 2017, 9:35 am

Zosherooney wrote:am determined to do another couple of barrows of wood this morning, in readiness for the winter to come !!!!!
Any Cypriot would congratulate you :lol:
No sign of cooking next door, they are obviously going to someone else for lunch.
We are having our usual collection of bits. I am defrosting artichokes for an Artichoke & Broad Bean Salad, I will shred some chicken left over from yesterdays tagine for a salad, make a little herb salad . I sense a North African theme to todays lunch especially as I have just found a recipe for Sweet Potato Salad, there was one lurking in the vegetable rack

Moira

Zosherooney

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 16th, 2017, 9:42 am

Joyeuse Paques, Happy Easter :wave:

Lovely morning and we are looking forward to our lunch in the sunshine. The church bells have flown back from Rome and the hameau is echoing to the sound of children searching for eggs and going hyper as a result of finding them :lol: :lol:

Have a lovely day and don't overindulge in the choccies
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 16th, 2017, 9:55 am

Happy Easter
We have sun with little clouds here
I shall go and admire the bluebells, then knuckle down to clearing the bookshelves, haven't found much that's a surprise so far, though I was pleased to locate the sheath for the big snips lurking in George Orwell :?

Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 16th, 2017, 10:25 am

Happy Easter Wildies :wave: :luv:

Sunny here, though a chilly wind. Have been to the gym and for a swim and will soon be back in the garden so all told, I shall feel I have earned my roast lamb tea and chocolate frenzy later. :chops: :chops:

Have a splendid day everyone :hug: :hug:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » April 16th, 2017, 10:38 am

StokeySue wrote:haven't found much that's a surprise so far, though I was pleased to locate the sheath for the big snips lurking in George Orwell

And where else would you expect to find them ? :lol:

moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop