CHATTERBOX LXXVI - MARY ....

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: CHATTERBOX LXXVI - MARY ....

Postby Ratatouille » April 16th, 2017, 1:51 pm

Just got back from lunch. People never seem to amaze us for their complete lack of forward planning. Tourist village, Easter Sunday, lovely weather and yet so many people were wandering around desperately trying to find somewhere to eat because they hadn't booked, or at the very least turned up early enough. We watched more than 10 groups or couples being turned away, the final pair being as we left at 3.00pm.

We also saw an entire coach party of middle aged and very rotund tourists all wearing identical blue sunhats who marched up the village in a crocodile and then, half an hour later, marched down again. Just about everyone on the terrace was playing guess the nationality. They couldn't be heard but from the fancy braces I deduced Austrian but I was wrong. As we left we passed their coach - they were Swiss :lol: As Mr Rats said - lovely way to spend Easter Sunday.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby missmancs » April 16th, 2017, 4:50 pm

Evening everyone, Happy Easter to you all.

I am taking refuge in the kitchen from: my parents, the in-laws and an over-excited 3 year old. She very rarely gets both sets of Grandparents together at the same time(think its only the 2nd time in her existence!). OH has taken refuge in our bedroom to watch the football and Step-son is in his room...as usual :lol: .

Very untraditional in this house this year, we are having Roast Salmon with Salsa Verde, an old Goodfood recipe, with potatoes and, bizarrely, Cauliflower Cheese :? at the request of both my father and FIL. Then Apple Crumble with custard.

The house is resembling something of a youth hostel at the minute. OH and I have a blow up double bed in dd's room, In-laws are in our room and my parents have two put-you-up beds in the living room.....roll on tomorrow when the house returns to something verging on normality haha.

Hope everyone has a lovely evening
Jane
x
missmancs
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » April 16th, 2017, 7:47 pm

Grasshopper wrote:Lovely pork gravy has been put into the freezer. We are cooking the chicken in it on Sunday - yummmmmmmmm :chops:

And that chicken was utterly DIVINE! We had it with cabbage, peas, carrots, celariac mash, roasties, YPs, stuffing and the most incredible gravy - YUM!!!!!!! :chops: Fit for royalty, it was! :chops:
Plenty of leftovers for tomorrow too, then the chicken frame will be utilized.
No waste in this household! :tu: ;)
:chops:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » April 17th, 2017, 5:19 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, Rats: I know exactly what you mean by lack of forward planning, we see it happen here. Plus on a busy weekend they have to wait, shock, horror :o . A local popular destination for Christmas lunch was booked up at the beginning of September.
I was reading TripAdvisor reviews of some local establishments, I loved the one that said that they enjoyed the fresh mountain trout and chips, the response was that particular restaurant did not have trout on the menu, neither did they do chips, were they thinking of some where else?

It will be a baking morning, I have a lot of carrots so I suspect carrot cake is on the list.

Moira :mug:
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » April 17th, 2017, 6:39 am

Morning Moira, if you like a great pickle, try Sophie Grigsons Spiced Carrot Pickle. It goes down a storm at Scarecrow Festival.

I have already shifted another 2 barrows of logs from our neighbours, the rest are too big to move, the witch can have them! :twisted:

Both my water butts are nearly empty, I have just emptied the 'sludge' onto the carrots and snips, should do them some good, if they ever appear...... :rolleyes:

I have a nearly ripe mango so might involve it in a sort of chicken coronation/jubilee I think I have some pink fir apples left that will go well with it. :chops:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 17th, 2017, 7:03 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
Snuggled under the eaves listening to the chimes of the church clock ... It's very restful here. :D
“One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating.”― Luciano Pavarotti
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » April 17th, 2017, 7:58 am

Zosherooney wrote: if you like a great pickle, try Sophie Grigsons Spiced Carrot Pickle

I found the recipe, I have all the ingredients but will have to wait until our visitors have gone

Back to the baking, the carrot cake is in the oven. I had great problems, the recipe was for a rectangular tin, our are mainly round tins, I checked the conversion sites then realised that we had suitable foil containers. Tollhouse cookies next then Orange & Almond Biscotti.
What Bank Holiday ;)

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 17th, 2017, 8:11 am

I bet the house smells divine this morning Moira ;) :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 17th, 2017, 8:42 am

Morning everyone :wave:

Sounds delicious Moira. I've just bunged a quick fruit cake into the oven. What's more the washing is on the line. Absolutely no good reason to go anywhere today, lunatic drivers, crowds everywhere and tourists :scared: :scared:

We might fire up the barbecue at lunch time because I have a couple of quails which I can spatchcock and rub wuth Moroccan spices and serve on a bed of fruity nutty couscous and/or just a green salad. Lovely weather again but suposed to get colder later in the week.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 17th, 2017, 8:54 am

Morning all! :wave:

What delicious things people are cooking today! I was just wondering what to make out of what there is in the house and the fruity couscous has given me inspiration.

A dull day as forecast, the rain finally came last night. What a glorious couple of weeks it has been though. No work today so I'm catching up on sleep and chores before going out tonight. I see that Ancestry.com has allowed free access to the more expensive international records over Easter too so may be looking at that this afternoon as it's a wonderful opportunity.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » April 17th, 2017, 12:55 pm

Afternoon all. Just back from the emergency vet. :o The new dog has eaten something that upset her. I thought we'd been really careful not to let any of the 4 dogs who were here yesterday get any chocolate . . . . She vomited a lot in the night, chocolate and blood!

She seems a lot calmer now and is asleep. Thank goodness we have Pet insurance. I do hope they pay up!

EM. I am making Delia's rissoles with some of yesterday's leftover beef. We'll have that with the remains of the celeriac/parsnip bake and some French beans.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 17th, 2017, 5:02 pm

Zosherooney wrote: if you like a great pickle, try Sophie Grigsons Spiced Carrot Pickle.

:tu: :tu: :tu: :chops: I can vouch that Zosh's version is wonderful!

PP- poor wee dog. Hope she feels better soon.

I've just made a lamb stew with the remains of the roast lamb, which I've frozen for later use. We have cold lamb and baked spuds for tea.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby liketocook » April 17th, 2017, 5:08 pm

Good evening :wave:
"Normality" or whatever that is this has more or less resumed in the LTC household and offspring have departed, it will be July before elder son and his girlfriend can get back up :( . We had a great day yesterday the kids were stars in helping with the prep and clearing up so not much to do today :) . The food was well appreciated and leftovers are manageable and I'll use them up over the next few days. As part of the buffet I made Cornonation Chicken something I've not made for years and it was so good I think it will be getting revisited more frequently :) . Elderly pooch and pup got on well, both managed to tire themselves out just before we ate so they snoozed and we got peace to enjoy our meal. Pup's newest favourite toy is an empty water bottle, she's teething and when I had pups I used to fill an empty bottle with ice and water for them to gnaw at. It had a good rattle about the place before she had a good go at it and did seem to help her mouth. Tonight I'm having an easy meal of gammon steak with a flat mushroom stuffed with LO spicy cous cous so not much prep or clearing up from that and there are a couple of small glasses of red left in a bottle so it would be a shame to waste it.... ;) :cocktail:
liketocook
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 17th, 2017, 6:38 pm

After the Quails at lunch time we had an omelette this evening, Bracing up for another episode of Game of Thrones soon. I have to say i am struggling :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

See you all tomorrow
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » April 17th, 2017, 6:52 pm

In The Guardian or The Observer some weeks ago there was a recipe for fennel and lemon risotto.
J ripped it out and shoved it under my nose as I make the risottos chez Wordsworth.
I didn't like the sound of it so I ignored it, the piece of paper followed me round the house, or so it seemed.
I made it tonight and (sorry Purists) served it with a green salad and a mustardy garlicky lemony dressing.
It was sensational.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » April 17th, 2017, 7:14 pm

Ellow! We had 'Sunday leftovers' for tea tonite - YUM! What is left of the chicken carcass will be turned into broth :chops: :chops: :chops: :chops: :chops: :chops: :chops: :chops: :chops:
Been busy today, been doing some sorting out in my bedroom & Mum has been painting the kitchen.

Magnolia :shock: :scared: :lol:

Looks like vanilla ice-cream!

We had GREAT fun getting the fridge freezer out - NOT!
Job done tho! :tu:

:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 17th, 2017, 10:00 pm

Sounds as though you're going to start licking the walls grassy :wink:

Sorry to hear about Polo PP - hope he's soon well.

Looks as though the day continued to be quite a nice foodie one for most. I got absorbed in Ancestry and just had time to make an omelette before going out this evening. :oops:. I was wrong, it was just Commonwealth countries they were offering free over the weekend, not the whole international service. I filled in a lot of gaps but had really wanted access to German records.

Had better go to bed, have to be in some obscure part of Surrey for 8am tomorrow for some work training :(.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » April 18th, 2017, 5:33 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, we are preparing for the onslaught as Bro and SIL arrive this afternoon. A provisional menu for the week is on the table beside me, plus a list of possible activities, luckily there is Village Car Boot and Sale on Saturday and a Classic Car Show on Sunday. Last time my SIL was very happy to go down to the beach for coffee.
I must go down to Episcopi for bread, they are toast eaters. Supper will be defrosted curry, including a vegetable curry as I know that there will be very little in the way of fresh fruit and veg in the shops after the holiday.

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » April 18th, 2017, 5:45 am

Morning Moira, any others out there ??? My throat hurts and I have a rattley cough, my left ear is buzzing.... I think we had a smattering of frost last night, I was glad I had a piece of fleece for my apple blossom. I even remembered to bring the propergater in from the greenhouse !

At my other house today for a couple of hours then home to make stuffed cabbage leaves and maybe a savoury mince for Thursday.

Must go and gargle with TCP before making :mug:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 18th, 2017, 6:11 am

I hope all poorly peeps and pooches make a swift recovery.
We have an early start here at MILs - a Kitchen Planner is due to arrive at 9am :shock: Much coffee must be taken first :mug:
“One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating.”― Luciano Pavarotti
suffolk
Registered

Postby PurpleLuv » April 18th, 2017, 7:06 am

Good morning all :hug:

Back to work feeling here :rolleyes: Typical, the sun is shining & I'd love to be in the garden getting some outdoor jobs done.

100's of e-mails to wade through.
PurpleLuv
Global Moderator

Postby cyprusmoira » April 18th, 2017, 8:19 am

Got the bread, which was still warm and some other items, there were fresh vegetables but no one in their right mind would have bought the mushrooms. It is another Bank Holiday here. Would you believe it, detergent capsules packs were on a BOGOF but if you only wanted one pack you could buy it at half price. I think that the shop owners have been harangued by Cypriot housewives.

Next on the list, orange juicing

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 18th, 2017, 8:23 am

Zosherooney wrote:Must go and gargle with TCP before making

Eurgh :bounce: , your :mug: will taste awful afterwards .. Hope it works though, I never do anything like that, I just let the infection happen ;)

Oooh, meant to add that I have more hearing in my right ear now and the hearing aid is improving it (which is what it is meant to do ) :tu: There is also a lot of cracking in both ears when I try the swallowing instead of blowing against holding my nose :tu: Hope this is the beginning of the end ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 18th, 2017, 8:27 am

cyprusmoira wrote:Would you believe it, detergent capsules packs were on a BOGOF but if you only wanted one pack you could buy it at half price. I think that the shop owners have been harangued by Cypriot housewives.

What a good idea, if they can afford to sell 2 for the price of 1, then it makes sense - I wish the Stupourmarkets here would do the same ! ;)
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 18th, 2017, 8:43 am

Morning everyone :wave:

Hope Bro and S-I-L have a really good holiday Moira. They are obviously going to be well looked after.

The thought of gargling with TCP makes me want to :sprout: Zosh. For a start I can't gargle I just choke. Hope the throat feels better though.

Chilly first thing but the sun is shining brightly and the bees are humming loudly in the wisteria and ivy.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 18th, 2017, 9:03 am

Morning Wildies :wave: :luv:

Chilly but lovely and sunny here. I must admit that this is one of those mornings when I feel full of joy at being off the hook where work is concerned. Thoroughly enjoyed my morning run whilst watching the commuters, in the sure and certain knowledge I can spend the day continuing my garden makeover. Sorry... :oops:

EM- referee! 8.00am in Surrey? That's a bit previous if you ask me.

Zosh- hope the TCP helps (I love the smell of TCP and don't mind gargling with it either :) ) and that you feel better soon. There's a lot of it about (one of my best friends is quite poorly with it, which is adding to the stress of her house move).

Have a very happy day everyone :hug: :hug: :hug:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » April 18th, 2017, 9:30 am

I usually gargle with dissolved soluble aspirin if I have a "throat". Works really well.

The dog was no better this morning so the vet has admitted her. :o It was really horrible leaving her there. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Janet » April 18th, 2017, 9:50 am

earthmaiden wrote:.................. I got absorbed in Ancestry and just had time to make an omelette before going out this evening. :oops:. I was wrong, it was just Commonwealth countries they were offering free over the weekend, not the whole international service. I filled in a lot of gaps but had really wanted access to German records. ......................

Do you have access to a local library? Mine has a library version of Ancestry on their computer network which gives access to the worldwide records. Unfortunately you cannot link the records directly to your own tree, but you can make note of the information found.

I find Ancestry and other genealogy sites a fascinating time sink!

Janet
Janet
Registered

Postby aero280 » April 18th, 2017, 10:36 am

I used to speak to my wife from time to time, but then she found Ancestry.......... :rolleyes:
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby cyprusmoira » April 18th, 2017, 11:07 am

A snap General Election, Oh Joy :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 18th, 2017, 12:00 pm

Oh bliss Moira.

As if we didn't have to go through the French debacle this weekend !

aero280 wrote:I used to speak to my wife from time to time, but then she found Ancestry.......... :rolleyes:
It could be worse you could be marrried to a professional genealogist :rolleyes: :rolleyes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » April 18th, 2017, 1:09 pm

Our visitors have arrived, no problems apart from lack of in flight catering. You are supposed to be able to buy sandwiches etc from the cabin crew, they ran out. Luckily the two of them had coffee and a bun at Heathrow, my brother had purchased sandwiches at Sainsbury's yesterday but the tea and carrot cake on arrival was gratefully received. They are now on a conducted tour of the garden.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby aero280 » April 18th, 2017, 1:32 pm

Ratatouille wrote:Oh bliss Moira.

As if we didn't have to go through the French debacle this weekend !

aero280 wrote:I used to speak to my wife from time to time, but then she found Ancestry.......... :rolleyes:
It could be worse you could be marrried to a professional genealogist :rolleyes: :rolleyes

I might as well be... :o
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Zosherooney » April 18th, 2017, 1:34 pm

Since the demise of the airline tray meal and now the charging for airline food I have always arranged a 'mile high picnic' (my food is better too!) I am wondering how long it will be before you will be charged 'corkage or foodage' for bringing your own food onboard..... :rolleyes:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby liketocook » April 18th, 2017, 1:35 pm

Afternoon everyone,
Definitely a use it up day today, breakfast was the last slice of HM bread with a spoonful of beans LO from the fry up the boys made on Sunday. Lunch was LO brisket with LO rice salad (finished that ) and LO carrot salad. I've chicken thighs defrosting for tonight with I'll have with a baked spud, the last flat mushroom and some LO coleslaw and tzakziki. I've still cous cous left from the weekend which I'm going to freeze to have stuffed in peppers at a future point. I need to reduce down ham stock and get it frozen too and chop up and freeze some lurking parsley and chives. I have quite a lot of cream left so might make butter later in the week to use that up.

I'm going to start my courgette and cucumber seeds and pot some plug plants that arrived earlier. I had hoped to maybe get the pansies potted out but it's still cold, there was a heavish frost this morning and it looks as though there might be a bit of a storm coming in so I'll leave them for today.
liketocook
Registered

Postby PurpleLuv » April 18th, 2017, 2:00 pm

The last few flights I have been on this year had food shortages, like Zosh I take on board a picnic, usually a Pret roll & olives etc. I do miss an on board meal though it breaks the flight up but the last to Vienna was a freezing cold croissant & a cup of luke warm tea.

Most long haul still give you a meal but most of my trips are EU :rolleyes: .
PurpleLuv
Global Moderator

Postby aero280 » April 18th, 2017, 2:17 pm

How do you get a bottle of drink onboard?
aero280
Site Admin

Postby StokeySue » April 18th, 2017, 3:09 pm

aero280 wrote:How do you get a bottle of drink onboard?

Buy it in Boots or WH Smith once through security, I always buy a bottle of water

I was surprised the first time I took a US internal flight that most passengers carried pizza, burgers, etc. on board. There was in fact some fairly horrible food which, as this was American Airlines was grudgingly thrown at you by the gaolers, sorry flight attendants ;) Then one of them kindly told me I could go to the galley and help myself to juice and coffee, think there were cookies too?

Asian airlines do feed you properly, I remember an elderly gent on his first flight from Colombo (Sri Lanka) to Chennai (Madras) who was delighted to discover that the pretty ladies would bring him his dinner and a whole can of Coke, clearly a big treat. It's quite a short flight.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 18th, 2017, 7:08 pm

Gosh, you've all been chatty today!
I have only flown long haul or shortish flights - long haul still feed you and they usually serve drinks on shortish flights which is enough. I hate it in the USA when people next to you eat smelly or greasy food. I usually have something before boarding there if it's going to be a few hours, the on-board food is stupidly expensive and not very nice - but they always serve free drinks and nibbles.

Janet wrote: Do you have access to a local library? Mine has a library version of Ancestry on their computer network which gives access to the worldwide records. Unfortunately you cannot link the records directly to your own tree, but you can make note of the information found. Janet

Thank you. Several friends belong to the local genealogy society which is based at the library and allows access to Ancestry. Friends who belong have not been able to tell me if they have access to the world-wide version, one day I'll find out!

Got to deepest Surrey for 8am surprisingly easily, I thought the traffic would be hell. We were mostly outdoors and rain had been forecast - but it was glorious all day - and we were treated to an all-day breakfast at lunchtime at a 'greasy spoon' which was very nice and not at all greasy! :chops:

:hug: :hug: to all with lurgies and I hope that doggie is doing ok PP.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 18th, 2017, 10:49 pm

We're back home and in our own bed :D ... See you in the morning ...
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » April 19th, 2017, 5:14 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, we shall be making up a picnic for our visitors on our return flight. Flights to and from the UK count as short haul, although Moscow is nearer to London than Nicosia that is considered long haul.
Nice morning here, we must discuss what we are going to do

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby miss mouse » April 19th, 2017, 6:15 am

aero280 wrote:How do you get a bottle of drink onboard?

Take an empty bottle and fill it from a water fountain. These are hard to find at Gatwick and Heathrow, ask the cleaners who know where everything is.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 19th, 2017, 7:21 am

A sharp frost on the grass this morning ... Hopefully the pear tree is in a sheltered enough spot for the blossom to have escaped damage.
Tennis this morning, Wrose or farm shop to find something for supper, then into the garden - there are seedlings to prick out and pot on ...
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 19th, 2017, 9:22 am

Good morning! Glorious sunshine today - a nice surprise but it's so cold I have put the heating on.

The first of a long run of days off today so time to clean up and catch up with things and deliver some leaflets I volunteer to do every so often. I shall search the freezer for something for supper - it's packed to the gills so there must be something there :rolleyes: and I know there are various veggies in the fridge. Off to Devizes market tomorrow so will wait to stock up on fruit, veg and other nice things as it is delightfully cheap. I hope that the herb man is there, I want to buy a few things for the garden - he usually has very nice French tarragon, I must put it in a better pot this year. One of my blueberry bushes has died, I have no idea why as I treat them all the same and the others are happy as can be. C'est la vie.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 19th, 2017, 9:24 am

Morning Wildies :wave: :luv:

Another chilly but very sunny day here- washing is on the line and I'm awaiting an Ocado delivery.

Re airplane food- on my recent flights to Inverness & back (BA) you could buy a limited range of M&S snacks/sarnies/drinks on the flight but there were no freebies. When I flew to Ireland in Feb (Aer Lingus) there were drinks & crisps/nuts only (which again you could purchase during the flight). The days of freebies on short-haul flights are clearly long gone...
Seatallan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 19th, 2017, 9:40 am

earthmaiden wrote:I hope that the herb man is there, I want to buy a few things for the garden - he usually has very nice French tarragon, I must put it in a better pot this year.

Any chance you can get me one EM and send to me (take out of pot and put in a plastic bag ???) I will happily reimburse you with all costs .. (y)
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Do you think it would travel well? I will see if there is any anyway!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » April 19th, 2017, 10:01 am

Patsy, I know the herb stall EM means, they are normally a good size which might not make it easy to post, I might pop by and have a gander.....

Might see you around the market EM, I'm not planning a long meander, feeling a tad rough today. Woke myself up at 4.19am coughing my head off. Cats flounced off, I ended up getting up and getting some fruit juice from the fridge. Did drop off again but only to dream of cats escaping and having to be brought home !
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 19th, 2017, 10:21 am

Devizes market sounds wonderful- hope you both have a lovely time (and that you feel better soon Zosh :hug: :hug: :hug:)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 19th, 2017, 12:24 pm

Afternoon everyone :wave:

Gorgeous sunshine but a howling Mistral.

I love Devizes, not only the market but the locks and also the fact that GS was born there.

As for airline food - forget it. If you are departing from Heathrow then Gordon Ramsays Plane Food hampers are just about the best thing you can take on board. trouble is you can't get them on your return. :cry: :cry: My globe trotting cuz has just returned from Japan via Dubai - 22 hours in all. She said the food on Emmirates was not too bad but it was served at the wrong hours for her body clock.
Ratatouille
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop