CHATTERBOX LXXVI - MARY ....

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: CHATTERBOX LXXVI - MARY ....

Postby cyprusmoira » April 19th, 2017, 1:25 pm

I have just returned from taking our visitors on a trip around the area. We seemed to go a long distance but for a lot of the time you could see the last place that you visited across the bay, does that make sense. In other words we could see Kurion beachwhere we had coffee,from Melanda beach where we lunched on sea bream.

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 19th, 2017, 3:51 pm

earthmaiden wrote:Do you think it would travel well? I will see if there is any anyway!

If you don't think it will travel (even wrapped in damp paper, then in (the roots) in a plastic bag and a bit of cardboard support), then don't worry .. I rarely see it in my GC.. or at least my local one :(
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 19th, 2017, 3:58 pm

Here you go Rats : The Caen Hill Flight. ;) I thought I had a photo of Zosh and me, however, I think it may be on Zosh's phone/camera :?
Attachments
IMG_20160924_141039 (1).jpg
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby liketocook » April 19th, 2017, 4:46 pm

Good evening everyone,
Feel as though I've had a bit of a ground hog day today, got up, pottered about, short walk and ate leftovers....... ;) Still that's the buffet leftovers scoffed and good they were too and I did manage to get some of my pansies potted on :D . Weather is still decidely iffy so bangers and mash for dinner :chops:
liketocook
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 19th, 2017, 5:09 pm

Well, if I see any French Tarragon I will get some for both of us. It doesn't like frost so they may not have it yet but I am fond of that stall. I will look out for Zosh too :). We usually go when the veg & cheese sellers start selling things off just after lunch. We always have lunch at the same place - a little treat.

Hope the lurgy isn't anything to worry about Zosh. :hug:

When they reopened the locks (I think it was 1989ish - there is a plaque somewhere there), DD was one of the people who swam down them as part of the celebrations.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » April 19th, 2017, 5:33 pm

DSC_0041.JPG

This one Patsy, Caen 13 lock flight is to the right of Patsy, a feat of human engineering, sorry it's a bit dark.

EM I am starting to sound like a 60 a day gal !!!!!
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » April 19th, 2017, 5:57 pm

After our elongated visit to Lloyds last week concerning euro accounts, received a pleasant monetary surprise and apology today !

After a conversation with Carlos at Banco Popular it transpires that there are more charges than we realised, so we are having a rethink there...
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 19th, 2017, 6:34 pm

Thanks so much Pat and Zosh. As a wife and Ganny to 3 Moonrakers Wiltshire means a lot to me. :hug: :hug: :hug:
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby dennispc » April 19th, 2017, 7:25 pm

Devizes? Dangerous place that. Keep away, doesn't have enough facilities to repel a terrorist attack!

Seriously, local council says May Day fair can't go ahead. In today's Times, so must be right! :lol:
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » April 20th, 2017, 5:22 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, I am having strawberries with my muesli this morning, they are left over from yesterday evening.
My brother has disappeared to go birding, I think that he has gone to one of the birding hot spots near the Asprokremnos Dam. He had bags of telescopes, binoculars, cameras and special lenses. Serious stuff bird watching :D

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » April 20th, 2017, 6:04 am

That'll be a twitcher then Moira !

Voice has virtually gone ! Some would say that was a good thing..... :twisted: :twisted:

Up at 5.30 to get Mr. Z out of the door by 6am he is driving in London today but has to go to Newbury to collect his truck. I am shopping and a meds. appt. in town later. My chest hurts from coughing and have a lack of energy.... :plink: :plink:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 20th, 2017, 8:14 am

Morning everyone :wave:

Moira at least he is not robbing a bank Moira! I have two friends who are really serious birde rs. One has travelled as far as to persue her hobby.

Zosh I geuss you are not taking bets on who gave you this lurgy!! Hope you feel better soon.

Mr Rats forgot to check our once-a-month Euromillions ticket until this mroning and has just bounced upstairs to report a three figure win :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I am just about to place an Ocado order because our friend is coming next week. I could just fancy a nice gammon joint :chops:
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 20th, 2017, 8:31 am

Zosherooney wrote:That'll be a twitcher then Moira !

Twitchers are the ones who tick off their sightings and will go to any lengths to see a bird not on their list ...

My daughter hates being called a twitcher ... she is a 'birder' ;)
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 20th, 2017, 9:25 am

Whoops! Late on parade this morning ...... mainly because I've been up and about doing stuff, chatting on phone to DD and wandering around garden smiling. Now I'm indoors again and great excitement here on The Rise ... neighbours across and up a bit have three young men (20 if they're a day) in high vis jackets with a tipper truck and a shredder parked outside.

They've just unloaded two Juniper Skyrocket type things, both about 10' tall, and a climber of some sort, about 8' tall. They have been plied with hot drinks and biscuits by Mrs Neighbour.

One young man is now on his knees by the back gate ... Mr N is standing by the gate, specs in hand, talking and pointing at Junipers ............ what's going to happen? Watch this space ...............

In the meantime washing needs hanging out and tomatoes need pricking out .............
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 20th, 2017, 9:28 am

Morning
I have a free lucky dip ticket from the lottery, but no actual money :(
I am set up for the lottery to mail me with news of a win, my friend said this was pointless as I'd still have to actually claim a significant win, mutual confusion as I can't see why she doesn't think it useful to be reminded to apply without having to check your own numbers :?
Better get on, have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 20th, 2017, 9:46 am

Morning all! Good luck with hanging out the washing Suffs. I just went to hang mine out and realised that there was a light mist of rain coming down, The sky looks a bit bleak - so the washing came back indoors. :rolleyes:

I think it's very useful to be reminded that you have won a lottery prize. I was going to buy a Euromillions entry this week as we passed the time away talking about what we would do with the £21,000,000 prize on the way home from training the other day. I forgot though - but now rather wish I had remembered!

Can't say I am keen on Twitcher or Birder. A Birdwatcher sounds fine to me ;) .

Had rather a fraught night with separate people from different parts of the world texting and messaging me with complex personal problems just as I was about to turn out the bedroom lamp and go to sleep. Both affect me in various ways and are rather sad but I have learned in life that one can often do no more than listen.

Time to find my coat and bags ready for our trip to Devizes now, sad about the May event having to be cancelled, they have a huge event at Christmas with a lantern parade and Father Christmas. I hope they can come up with suitable arrangements to keep it going. Small market towns were not built with 21st century terrorists in mind - our Neolithic ancestors had a better idea - perhaps we could resort to holding the events in remaining hill forts which would be quite well suited.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » April 20th, 2017, 9:53 am

We have taken my SIL to George's Fabric Shop, there has been a massive tidy upstairs, new shelving has been put in, fabrics are graded according colour, that looks wonderful, worth a photo. There are now a collection of fabric with frog or chameleons printed on them and entire shelves of pussycat prints. Deb bought a pretty length of blue with a white border print.
Meanwhile my brother borrowed Deb's car to go birding down on the Salt Lake. When he came out of the hide he noticed that her front number plate was missing, it has been deliberately slid out of the holder, it cannot have been an accident. We have no idea when or where it happened. Luckily there is a collection of automotive businesses down in Episcopi, they should be able to help.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 20th, 2017, 10:15 am

I had my licence plates stolen
The young man in the police station was not clear why his senior colleague and I thought this so significant, until we explained it was a form of identity theft, and the plates were likely to be used in a more serious crime (I was actually phoned by a detective who thought it worryingly)
In UK you now need the car registration document to buy a replacement plate
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 20th, 2017, 10:23 am

Morning Wildies :wave: :luv:

I'm a birder like Patsy's daughter (and only a very amateur one, though I really must start a proper patch list). I can understand the fascination of twitching but it does tend to be a man thing in my experience, like train-spotting. One of my friends knew a bloke who bus-spotted, and who on more than one occasion traveled considerable distances to record a particular bus reversing.... :)

EM- it was spotting with rain here too a while ago, but it seems to have stopped now. My washing is about to finish so I shall be brave and hang it out. That should result in another shower I should think! :D Sorry you had a bit of a bad night. It's good that you were there for your friends but there's nothing worse than something like that late at night- a complete guarantee of broken sleep. :hug: :hug:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 20th, 2017, 10:26 am

Sounds as if Deb can expect to receive some speeding and/or parking fines shortly ... and possibly the car now sporting her number plate is not insured or taxed either ... at least, that's the way of these things in the UK. I would report it to the police/licensing authorities etc.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 20th, 2017, 10:27 am

Seatallan wrote:I'm a birder like Patsy's daughter (and only a very amateur one, though I really must start a proper patch list).

Then you will understand what a LBJ is Seatallan ;) :lol:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby aero280 » April 20th, 2017, 10:36 am

StokeySue wrote:I had my licence plates stolen...

... In UK you now need the car registration document to buy a replacement plate

This is not actually enforced. When I got an "advisory" on my car in November from the MOT test, stating that my plastic number plates were delaminating and would probably fail the test next year, I bought a new set of pressed steel plates from a supplier on eBay. No documentation was needed. I just sent the money.

The plates conform to the law in all respects. Approved type font and spacing. Reflective. And they carry the suppliers identification. I paid by PayPal, so no real audit trail in place of an ID.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Seatallan » April 20th, 2017, 10:42 am

PatsyMFagan wrote:Then you will understand what a LBJ is Seatallan ;) :lol:

Sure do! And most infuriating they can be too... :rolleyes: :D
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » April 20th, 2017, 11:50 am

Thanks Rats, yes, he is a bit in the doghouse..... but he did go to work today, brave 'ickle soldier !

There were a few pots of french tarragon on the market but they were small, maybe good to send thru the post, he did not have many but I did say that a fiend might be calling by to look....

I bought myself some tyrosets for my throat, was told not to suck them, not sure where I should be putting them ???? :?
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 20th, 2017, 12:21 pm

Feeling both virtuous and excited. I have managed to place orders for both Ocado and Rafi's Spice Box so all the things we miss will be winging their way here in Paul's car next week.

Just waiting for our hairdresser Laura to arrive. I am looking a bit sheepdoggish at the moment.

Zosh if you lived here that's exactly where you would be putting your throat medecine - and very others as well :terrified: The first time Mr R was prescribed such stuff he asked the pharmacist if he was meant to stand on his head? She was not amused.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 20th, 2017, 2:42 pm

Zosherooney wrote: bought myself some tyrosets for my throat, was told not to suck them, not sure where I should be putting them ????

The point is don't actively suck & swallow, just let them passively dissolve in your mouth, so they last as long as possible and drip feed into your throat

aero280 wrote:This is not actually enforced. When I got an "advisory" on my car in November from the MOT test, stating that my plastic number plates were delaminating and would probably fail the test next year, I bought a new set of pressed steel plates from a supplier on eBay. No documentation was needed. I just sent the money.The plates conform to the law in all respects. Approved type font and spacing. Reflective. And they carry the suppliers identification. I paid by PayPal, so no real audit trail in place of an ID.

Surprised, Halfords and the independent place both very hot on it round here, but then Tottenham (where I bought my final set) is probably the EU epicentre of car crime. Halfords at Tottenham Hale do free fitting, which suited me well

Anyone watched Paul Hollywood's City Bakes Nicosia episode? Very interesting, and he made his own adaptation of a traditional Cypriot Shemali cake, he showed the transitional version too. It's a yogurt and semolina cake, and as far as I could tell nearly identical to one I make called Basbousa or Basbusa, from Lebanon / Syria /Jordan / Egypt. The only difference is I press a split almond into the top of each portion! In fact generally the bakes reminded me more of Lebanon than the northern Greek Islands
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » April 20th, 2017, 2:51 pm

It is Greek week in Lidls so I bought Mythos and Ouzo, there are 2 portions of eggplant shoes in the fridge that need béchamel. I wonder if I can find that Greek CD we bought a thousand years ago ?? That cake sounds good Sue :chops: I use semolina in some of my cakes, it gives a nice crunch to the top bit.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » April 20th, 2017, 3:36 pm

StokeySue wrote:Anyone watched Paul Hollywood's City Bakes Nicosia episode

When was it on ? I had not realised that he had visited Nicosia. I know that cake as Rivani, it usually has a split almond on each portion. Did he make any of the Easter breads? such as flaounes.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 20th, 2017, 3:42 pm

cyprusmoira wrote:When was it on ? I had not realised that he had visited Nicosia. I know that cake as Rivani, it usually has a split almond on each portion. Did he make any of the Easter breads? such as flaounes.

It was on Food Network UK on Monday but I had recorded it, they keep repeating them!

He didn't do any of the special occasion stuff, he watched someone make filo, he did a lot about village bread, and a whole section on pitta.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 20th, 2017, 10:32 pm

Zosherooney wrote:There were a few pots of french tarragon on the market but they were small, maybe good to send thru the post, he did not have many but I did say that a fiend might be calling by to look....

None there by the time we got there so sorry Patsy, you will have to wait until next time I go. It doesn't like the frost much and I think we could still have some so maybe it's a blessing in disguise :). We got to the market in time to catch the price reductions. I have enough fruit and veg to last into the next century. I made a delicious Ratatouille tonight with a little poetic licence on the ingredients.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Amber » April 20th, 2017, 10:38 pm

Rats...we love Rafis :D . I bought my husband the book for Christmas but I don't think he's tried it yet, it's easier just to go into town and buy a kit. I'm not too sure why, but most of the kits need to be kept refrigerated. They're great for easy meals. :D :D
Amber
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » April 21st, 2017, 5:17 am

Good Morning Wild Ones
StokeySue wrote:He didn't do any of the special occasion stuff, he watched someone make filo, he did a lot about village bread, and a whole section on pitta

Thanks, I am surprised that PH did not do anything about the Easter breads as I know that he lived in Kouklia, near Paphos for a couple of years whilst working in the 5 * hotels.
I am not sure what we are doing today.

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » April 21st, 2017, 6:05 am

Well I know what I will mostly be doing today...... coughing ! I spent most of the night listening to myself wheezing, I think the cats thought we had a bedfull of mice !!!

Mr. Z has toddled off to work again, bless him, I am clearing up from last night, was too tired after supper. The Yellow Croakers were delish. Because they were cheap, I assumed they might be wet and tasteless but like a very nice sardine but not so many bones and no oily texture. We had them with sautéed potatoes and I had far too many :rolleyes:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 21st, 2017, 8:31 am

Poor you Zosh. Hope you feel better later. Do try to take it very easy today. :hug: :hug: :hug: :mug: :plink:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 21st, 2017, 8:38 am

Bright but very cold again, -2C up in the village :scared: The neighbour who planted out her tomatoes yesterday must be regretting it.

Re Rafi's , My S-I-L discovered them the first time he was posted near York. He is a huge curry fan but can't. They didn't ship abroad then but they do now and , although it is not cheap, if I am desperate I use the mail order service. I gave my son a gift hamper last Christmas they sent it to Jersey post free. I think they make up each pack freshly using some fresh herbs etc so that's why they need to be kept in the fridge or freezer.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 21st, 2017, 8:50 am

Get well soon Zosh!

Dashing off to dentist ............ see you later!!!
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » April 21st, 2017, 9:31 am

Morning everyone,
I realised at bed time I hadn't posted yesterday which seemed to have been mainly spent mopping floors or on hold to the bank!
I've not got much on today, Tesco order is arriving in a bit and my son is home tonight. We are having home-made venison burgers in a brioche bun with wedges, easy but tasty :chops: . Forecast isn't terribly promising but if it dries up I'll hopefully get the rest of the pansies potted out.
liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 21st, 2017, 9:46 am

I've done my shopping at the market and arrived 30 mins early at the dentist. Due to this chill wind I bought beef skirt and ox kidney, a piece of hand of pork and some substantial pork chops. We won't starve this weekend ;)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » April 21st, 2017, 10:41 am

Kate and Sidney Pie Suff ? I bought some shoulder pork chops y'day and will do Lizzy Davids Pork with Prunes. I always have a look and see what Google says about recipes and found this...

4 pounds boneless pork shoulder, (picnic or Boston-butt), trimmed and cut into 1- to 1½-inch pieces

Never heard of picnic or Boston butt before ??? American I suppose...
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 21st, 2017, 10:56 am

Morning all! (just)

Boston Butt sounds most unappealing ;).

Just a quick hello to all. Another dull day outside and some chores to do. When I was turning out the other day I found two recipe folders which I compiled when I was first married. I used to avidly write out recipes from cookery books from the library and decorate them with pictures from magazines (it looks better than it sounds!). I can honestly say that in over 40 years there are a good few I have never tried and am not likely to and they have no historical value whatsoever - more like hysterical in some cases :rolleyes: . I also have a vast pile of recipes that I have printed off the internet, most of which I have tried and liked. I intend discarding the silliest of the old ones and using the folders for the nice ones. I haven't got a tablet so do not have a good online storage system which can be easily used in the kitchen and anyway, I quite like having a folder.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby denada » April 21st, 2017, 10:59 am

Good guess Zosh :tu: Americans call the pork shoulder joints "butt" and "picnic". I use the butt for pulled pork.
denada
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » April 21st, 2017, 12:49 pm

Back from a trip up to Troodos, my brother wanted to look at a reclamation site where there used to be an asbestos mine. Let's just say that we did not find it, we were on the wrong road :rolleyes: there are not that many roads up there :?
it is 25 C at almost 4 00pm, we are going out to supper this evening. I must review what I intended to wear.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » April 21st, 2017, 1:24 pm

Well, Sea, I am taking your advice and as I have been awake since 5am I am going to rest my eyelids...... My sinuses feel as though someone has taken a bicycle pump to them......

Pork & prunes are done. The land deal is hotting up.... :shock: :shock: Mr. Z.'s phone battery has died :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Last thing I said this morning, is your phone charged but it does throw a wobbly sometimes and fail.....

He has agreed to work tomorrow.......... Staggered I am...... :terrified: :terrified: :terrified:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Amber » April 21st, 2017, 10:05 pm

Ah, I'd forgotten. Rafi's gift sets don't need to be kept chilled because they use dried chillies etc, but if you go into the shop they use fresh.

Zosh, it's probably too late for you, but First Defence is excellent.
Amber
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » April 22nd, 2017, 6:25 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, we went up to Stou Kir Yianni at Omohdos last night for meze. It is a splendid meze not you usual run of the mill items, for example the dips were a chili/cheese, peas smashed with herbs, and a red pepper dip, not your usual hummus. It ended with a hock of roast suckling pig served with a Commanderia sauce. Far too much as usual, the very large chicken kebabs were bought home for the animals. There was actually too much meat for me, I would have liked at least one more vegetable dish, although the spinach fritters were excellent.
On Fridays and Saturdays they have music, it costs extra on those night but there were a couple of good bouzouki players and a guitarist, who played proper tunes not just plinky, plonky music

The Souni Zanatja Residents Association are holding a Car Boot Sale this morning, we shall pop over there to show some support.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » April 22nd, 2017, 6:35 am

Thanks for that Amber, I will remember it for 'next' time.

Now, Moira, your supper sounds good. I have some spinach that needs using so will consult Lord Goggle and see what he says about spinach fritters.

I slept better last night. I used a nasal decongestant last thing so managed to sleep with my mouth closed for a change. Mr. Z has gone to work :scared: :terrified: :scared: :terrified: Should be a short day, only 2 drops Southampton and Andover so might be home just after lunch. Mind you I have heard that before and it has turned into a very long day. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » April 22nd, 2017, 7:07 am

Good Morning Wildies

Up at the crack of sparrows to Skype son in NZ!

Has anyone heard from Pepper, she hasnt been on for a few days, hope all is well with pooch :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: Wet here this morning, think I will pop down to W'rose in a minute and get some croissants :drool: then toms to pot on later.

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 22nd, 2017, 8:38 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

Yes, Chinch ... missing Pepper ... it's also quite a while since Mary posted that her hip was getting better at last and that she hoped to be around more ..................

I've been out watering containers, filling bird feeders etc, and found a dead waxwing on the terrace ... probably crashed into the studio window although I can't see a mark ... Waxwings should be well on their way back to Scandinavia by now so maybe it was poorly ......... it's a beautiful little thing :(
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby jrc » April 22nd, 2017, 8:47 am

Hello. :oops:
jrc
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 22nd, 2017, 9:08 am

How are you jrc ?

Very amusing in the market today. All the locals were bundled up like arctic explorers and the tourits were resolutely tourist in shorts and sandals despite it being only 5C.
Good day for freebies though. A bunch of carrots, a goat cheese, a bunch of freesias and a couple of slices of ham. :hungry:

Your supper last night sounds lovely Moira. If there is good live music it can really for a pleasant evening.

Shame about the waxwing Suffs, but you are probably right about it not being well

Glad to hear you are feeling a bit better Zosh, hope it continues.
Ratatouille
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop