The Seaside Holiday

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

The Seaside Holiday

Postby earthmaiden » April 14th, 2017, 8:21 pm

Don't worry, I won't be posting a 'reminiscing' thread every day but I came across this today. It is about the kind of accommodation which used to be offered at the seaside and the kinds of mod con the hosts would proudly offer. It made me smile. I don't think I ever stayed in a boarding house at the seaside for a week but do remember hotels and guest houses with one loo and bathroom - per floor if you were lucky, dubious rooms and dubious breakfasts, right up to the 1980's and heard many stories from others - I think Travelodge came along after that :).

http://www.greatyarmouthmercury.co.uk/y ... -1-4957379
earthmaiden
Registered

Re: The Seaside Holiday

Postby Herbidacious » April 14th, 2017, 8:33 pm

We always used to rent a flat. Some were better than others. I remember one in Scarborough - I think this was the last time we went on holiday as a family - there were three beds in one bedroom - they took up the whole floor space bar a couple of inches in between each, and the cutlery tasted of metal... I think my father slept on the settee in the sitting room. The flat was very noisy and hot. But we used to stay in quite a nice two bedroom flat overlooking the sea at the 'posh end' of Bridlington for several years. Apparently we stayed in a hotel in Blackpool when I was a baby, but apart from that, never.

This would all be in the '70s.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Suelle » April 14th, 2017, 9:24 pm

We only had one holiday when I was a child, during the early 60s. I remember nothing of it, but my Mum always talked about how difficult it was with 4 young children to have to leave the hotel (or it might have been a boarding house) after breakfast, and not be allowed back in until it was time for the evening meal. I know my father would have hated the whole thing - being away from home, having to watch us children all the time, someone else's cooking.

We only had day trips after that, and Dad never went on them!
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby mum-at-the-oven » April 14th, 2017, 10:59 pm

We had some fabulous family holidays as a child.

We were a very large family and would rent both a house and a coach/minibus to take us there - more often than not on the South Coast.

My Dad's firm (my Dad being the youngest of 8 ) had a shut down - the last week in July and the first week in August and that would always be our holiday time

It wasn't until a few years before my Dad's death that I found out that all his Brothers and his Sister paid for our holiday share as my Dad was the only one with children and couldn't afford a holiday. There was nothing outstanding about those holidays other than being together which was fantastic and they still hold my fondest memories.
mum-at-the-oven
Registered

Postby TezzaBear » April 15th, 2017, 3:57 am

Walton-On -Maze, Essex. Grandparents had a lovely holiday home there that as a family complete with pooches would frequent often.
On the journey there....snigger, me and Sister always used to burst out at Wheeley Concrete Cocks...simply a garden centre in a garden centre in a town called Wheeley with a garden centre selling the most majestic concrete shaped cockerels. Shouldn't have laughed really, how immature! :lol: Not sure when we sure it last time!
Sand castles (of course burying Granddad into the sand up to his head), gritty egg sandwiches eaten on the beach, the wind shelter (ah, the lovely blue, yellow, red, green srtripy wind shelter, lovingly packed in the car) blowing away into the tide two minutes after four people had lovingly staked it in....'you left a bit,. ,you right a bit, you centre, no left, hammering in harder or chuck water on the sand for foundation'...., rubber dinghy thinhy with two what looked liked what were strong oars finding they blow you off to USA within seconds.
Spending too much money on the pier courtesy of Grampies and their collected penny bags. Great fun though, especially Dodgems. Bellyache! Seagulls eating straight off your hand. Seagulls sometimes returning the favour on your head!
Those amazing old fashioned slot machines on a pier (Southwold?) where a penny would sometimes last forever, sometimes just disappear down a hole!
Crab catching!
The beautiful sunshine....sometimes!
Miss my cats...
TezzaBear
Registered

Postby TezzaBear » April 15th, 2017, 4:07 am

Oh dear, I posted on, and on and then revisited the original questio!

:oops:

Me and my friend Heather once visited a B&B in Torquay. Beautiful balcony between us and asection of beach but pier end and expensive comedian didn't make either of us laugh once. We headed for the nearest chippie straight after! The shingly beaches wee good though if on a thick rug.

Me and my ex went to Durdle Door once packed up a pan bagna and loads of Cola. It took two days from pillar to post.

I want a Coast To Coast! Nothing like hearing the gulls and the sea pulling in when your own feet are pulling in!
Miss my cats...
TezzaBear
Registered

Postby TezzaBear » April 15th, 2017, 4:19 am

Enjoy your coastlines wherever they are.
Birds.Tideline and sunset
birds singing Co Ooh-ooh.
My favljgite...owl. Shame so rare!
Miss my cats...
TezzaBear
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 15th, 2017, 9:27 am

In the early/mid 70's we used to regularly stay in a guest house near Bournemouth. It was one of those places with notes everywhere- 'do not hang wet swimsuits here', 'do not open this drawer', 'do not bring sand into the house' etc- which amused my parents no end. :D The owners had a small swimming pool in the garden which guests were allowed to use and it was in said (unheated :shock: ) swimming pool that I learned to swim.

We also went to Butlins regularly- either the Pwhelli one (where it always rained) or Minehead. Oh how I loved Butlins! :D
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 15th, 2017, 9:39 am

Never stayed in a seaside guest house, I lived by the sea all year round so it would have been a bit odd.
Where I lived, the nearest major holiday destination was Hayling Island, which had a few guest houses but was mainly holiday camps and mainly people from Birmingham and the potteries. They used to turn a colour known locally as Birmingham tan, as they refused to believe the slight sea haze common in high season offered no protection at all from the sun.

The guest houses were in Southsea, along with a couple of hotels, and a number of "private hotels" that considered themselves a cut above the ordinary guest house, some of them were Private and residential", for the elderly rather than summer visitors.

We used to go into Southsea to visit the model village, the canoe lake and Billy Manning's permanent fun fair, he'd collected old fairground rides and restored them, and had a wonderful carousel with carved painted horses (gallopers) on twisted poles, that had the slogan The Famous Horses, Rode by All on the canopy (the name of the original owner was there too but I don't remember it.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 15th, 2017, 9:44 am

StokeySue wrote:The guest houses were in Southsea,

That's where we stayed! :D

We stayed on Hayling Island once too, in a caravan that belonged to a friend of my parents. In fact, my parents had a caravan for a while when I was very young. I can just about remember a holiday at Bream Sands where the tide never seemed to come in and there was a permanent force 9 gale. :)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 15th, 2017, 9:51 am

Seatallan wrote:That's where we stayed! :D

Ignore the above. Talking rubbish. It was Southbourne, not Southsea. We did go to Southsea sometimes too as my parents had friends who lived in Portsmouth (and would call in for a cuppa). I liked watching the Isle of Wight hovercrafts setting out from Southsea. We used to go to Porchester Castle too- I loved all those windy stairs and the view from the battlements.
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Busybee » April 15th, 2017, 11:29 am

Our first holiday was to Butlins at Pwhelli, it took us over twelve hours in an Anglia to get there from North Yorkshire. I was five and my sister one.

I was absolutely blown away with it all, it was full of fun and excitement for a rural child, the likes of which I had never seen before. Most prominent was that the sun shone for the whole week, outdoor swimming pools, roller skating rink, cable cars and a giant rabbit in a top hat called Clarence. We must have been self catering because the most sophisticated thing was that the milkman delivered small bottles a la school milk sized bottles of orange juice!

My mum still has the probably horrendously overpriced picture of me and my sister with Clarence.

Holidays after that were camping Scotland and Cornwall, eventually going to Majorca in 1977 in October half term as we had literally been washed away in a tent in Cornwall that summer. Foreign climes then until we returned to Cornwall as adults albeit still going to the same village my mum first visited in 1959, one or other of us still visits there every year.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » April 15th, 2017, 11:41 am

Mum Dad and I went to Guernsey and stayed in a boarding house B&B and evening meal. The highlight of every day was walking from the BH to the local newsagents and choosing a comic (that was not educational). My parents did not seem to talk to each other so my head was buried in my comic until the next day... Don't think they were very happy :? :cry:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 15th, 2017, 11:59 am

Seatallan wrote:Ignore the above. Talking rubbish. It was Southbourne, not Southsea.

Grew up quite near Southbourne, went to school in Southsea, it's all on the South Coast railway line (Southern Rail permitting) and the Coastlines bus service :D
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 15th, 2017, 4:53 pm

Busybee wrote:I was absolutely blown away with it all, it was full of fun and excitement for a rural child, the likes of which I had never seen before.

Oh absolutely. :tu:

Busybee wrote:My mum still has the probably horrendously overpriced picture of me and my sister with Clarence.

I have one of those slide-viewer keyrings containing a picture of me sitting on Frank Carson's lap. You'd never get away with it now! :D

StokeySue wrote:and the Coastlines bus service :D

I loved the open top bus that ran (still runs, I think) from Hengistbury Head to Boscombe. I'd always sit upstairs even if it was raining cats & dogs.
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » April 15th, 2017, 5:00 pm

I had 2 different holidays a year. We would rent a caravan at Selsey Bill, right near the windmill and my grandparents would rent one in the same grounds. When we had a bit more money we rented the bungalow that owned the caravans. There was a putting green at the front. I suppose I enjoyed it but I look back I think I was bored witless. We never had enough dosh to do the things which would have been fun. And we went there for blooming years. I think I was about 15 last time we went by which time my dad had had enough and we would go home a day early to "miss the traffic".

Much more fun was when my parents packed me off to my Norfolk cousins. Very happy memories of endless rounders matches on Brancaster beach and swimming in the freezing cold. Lots of picnics too, often in lay-bys. :x
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby mum-at-the-oven » April 15th, 2017, 5:24 pm

PP, we stayed at The Old Sessions house in Selsey twice when I was a child. It was the 17th Century, Grade2 picture postcard favourite with the thatched roof.

It burned down in 2006 and I believe there are now other houses built on the site. :cry:
mum-at-the-oven
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » April 15th, 2017, 5:35 pm

Ah yes. One of the two houses my parents would go on about. The other was where Patrick Moore lived and worked.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 15th, 2017, 8:30 pm

I have early memories of various hotels and guest houses, though there can't have been many as most of our holidays before I was 6 were in caravans or staying with my grandmother in Chichester (I wonder if we all saw each other at Selsey!). We moved to the coast after that so didn't have seaside holidays but watched all the holidaymakers with their strange accents (usually from Leicestershire/Nottingham region) and plastic sandals used for paddling (which we thought wimpish :) ). I realise now that when they were all looking fed up sheltering under Woolworths awning in the rain that it was probably because they could not go back to their accommodation before the evening.

It's the bathroom arrangements that fascinate me most now. There was often a basin in the bedroom but trying to catch the loo or bathroom free in the morning was quite an art and not always a pleasant one. Some rooms had gas or electric fires which you could light if you put money in. My parents would have rather died from frostbite than feed such a machine. It was only a short time before that though when as in the link above, hot water and electricity were a luxury. The most exciting trip I remember was when I was 5, we went all the way to Scarborough on a steam pulled train. My father was speaking at a geological conference and we were put up in quite a decent hotel. I remember my mother stringing a washing line across the room to dry our smalls overnight. Breakfasts were huge, porridge, a fry up and toast and marmalade. My father couldn't eat it all, the Yorkshireman with whom we shared a table had his fill and then complained that 'they don't give you much do they?'. The story was retold many times during my childhood. I was told that Yorkshire folk were renowned for eating very large meals :lol: .

Ex OH used to go on holiday for 2 weeks a year as a child. MIL swore that you needed the first week to unwind and the second to enjoy yourself. Luggage was sent down to the guest house in advance and the accommodation was always of the sort where you were not welcome back into the house during the day, once they forgot macs or something and the landlady would not allow them to go and fetch them. Food was sometimes good and sometimes not, there was a tale of awful onion gravy appearing at every meal. They had a lovely time though on the beach and going on outings and to shows.

The worst guest house I ever stayed in was in Blackburn in the 80's. It had scratchy nylon sheets and didn't seem very clean. I think I have been quite lucky with breakfasts.

In an Australian motel in the 60's, my father was given an apple pie bed :lol: .
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby mum-at-the-oven » April 15th, 2017, 8:48 pm

earthmaiden wrote: (I wonder if we all saw each other at Selsey!).

Wouldn't that be such a wonderful coincidence!

Apart from staying at The Sessions twice, we also stayed at an Old Schoolhouse in or near Selsey that had it's own private beach entrance from the house and a plethora of outbuildings in the garden that contained a pool table, tin hats etc. from WW2 a ping pong table and a rowing boat which promptly sank when my Uncles took it for a little outing.

We also stayed at a house in Chichester and I remember looking over the bridge in the town (River Ouse perhaps?) and seeing huge Tench meandering in and out of the reeds below.

My family were usually 15 handed - all adults apart from my Brother and me and it would have been impractical to stay in a hotel or B&B. I hate to imagine how much some of those houses cost to rent for a fortnight though but I guess divided between many adults was probably not too bad.

I have never stayed in a B&B still - The thought of being turfed out in the rain during the day would be more than a little off putting!
mum-at-the-oven
Registered

Postby mum-at-the-oven » April 15th, 2017, 8:54 pm

Oops! River Lavant according to Wiki!
mum-at-the-oven
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » April 15th, 2017, 9:10 pm

The toilet at the caravans we stayed in was in a shed in the garden. It was an Elsan. :o :o Funnily enough it was the only time I had an imaginary friend. "Sandra" always used to be in the toilet shed. :oops: :oops: I only ever met her when I was on holiday there.

Mention of Chichester reminds me that one year Granny and I went to the Festival Theatre to see The Tempest. It can't have been open very long. She and I also used to go to the cathedral a lot because we loved it so much.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 15th, 2017, 11:32 pm

Seatallen, I think you and I are talking about different Southbornes? :D The one I know is West Sussex, Chichester Harbour Been that way alot, Mum's care home was in Chidham, next to Bosham

I just looked it up, Chichester Festival theatre opened in 1962, I went there quite a lot with parents and school etc, last went with parents in 1995 (looked that up too), saw Ian Richardson and Lesley Joseph in The Miser
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 16th, 2017, 10:31 am

Yes indeed Sue! My Southbourne is just along the coast from Bournemouth (between Bournemouth and Pool). :D
Seatallan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 16th, 2017, 10:47 am

I know that area too, my great aunt and uncle lived in Poole
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » April 16th, 2017, 10:54 am

i don't think i ever went to a seaside boarding house, we always camped, both in this country and all over europe, when i lived with my parents.
scullion
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » April 16th, 2017, 12:03 pm

I was also born and brought up on the coast, most of my family is still there apart from SFH and me, so we never had a seaside holiday.
When I was very young and my parents had little spare money we would stay with relatives in North Yorkshire.
Once we were a little older we were taken on touring holidays in Scotland.
As we lived in NW England we could be over the border in an hour or so.
I hated those holidays. Children do not appreciate scenery and being trapped in the car for much of the time was frustrating.
If I complained I was accused of being ungrateful.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » April 16th, 2017, 3:08 pm

WW you and I must have been from the same can......... I hated spending hour upon hour in Dad's Merc. travelling from UK to france or spain and having picnics from the boot of the car of bread, cheese and red wine (for me coke, a treat) I hated those holidays......

Guess what we do now......? Yep, but we try and find a nice vista....... I have become my parent....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 16th, 2017, 9:52 pm

WWordsworth wrote: being trapped in the car for much of the time was frustrating.

Oh yes! Even worse as a sullen 14 year old in the back of my father's Morris 1000 (when most people had moved on from them) trundling round half of Australia where every gum tree looked the same as the last. I wish I had been more grateful and that the diary I kept said less about every boy I set eyes on all the way there and back and more about the places we had seen :lol: :lol:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 17th, 2017, 8:59 am

I was born during the war and, because we lived on Tyneside and Dad was away in the army Mum and I went to live with my aunt and uncle in Richmond in Yorshire. There was of course no chance of a seaside holiday until several years later. I did go to the seaside quite often though becasue Whitley Bay was only half an hour away on the electric train.

When I was about 10 we started to rent a house in Seahouses on the Northumbrian coast with the same aunt and uncle, who was a teacher. Dad only had two weeks holiday so used to go back to newcastle on the bus on Mondays and come back on Friday evening, The luggage - an very big trunk was sent up ahead of us and at frist we trundles up on the service bus which took hours and always made me sick.

Eventually Uncle got a Hillman Minx. we still sent the trunk ahead and we all piled into the car and I still got sick :sprout: :sprout:

We did this for years,
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby liketocook » April 18th, 2017, 1:24 pm

Although born & brought up minutes from the sea holidays were also by the seaside in a caravan. Ma, Pa, three weans, clothes and a box of tinned food packed into an elderly Ford Anglia and off to Berwick-Upon-Tweed, Oban and various places in Dumfries & Galloway. The caravan were generally fairly old but only in Oban was there no loo which I hated. This was the mid-70s and fond memories of some scorching hot weather :D

When I left school I worked two seasons at Butlins in Ayr in the bookings department, the cam at that point still had some of the very original chalets which were so run down and basic but some folk came every year and asked for specific ones :D . It was a great job but not without it's moments. I was on late shift when a large party of children with severe disabilities from a residential school arrived, between making the booking and arriving their wheelchairs had been upgraded and wouldn't fit through the door to the loo in the chalet. (At the tie of booking we had been back and forward with measurements to avoid problems). I was just 17 and the woman in charge was being quite obnoxious and had a very loud and braying voice even though it was their error, thankfully the local Red Cross were able to help with chairs that did fit, but I remember for the rest of their stay trying to avoid her. ;)
liketocook
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 18th, 2017, 5:31 pm

Love the Butlins story, liketocook! What an obnoxious woman... :rolleyes:

Have spent many happy hours pottering around Oban (usually eating shellfish from that fab fish shanty on the quayside where the Mull ferry goes from :chops: ) and am very fond of Dumfries & Galloway (like the Southern Uplands a lot :luv: ).
Seatallan
Registered

Postby liketocook » April 18th, 2017, 6:16 pm

Have spent many happy hours pottering around Oban (usually eating shellfish from that fab fish shanty on the quayside where the Mull ferry goes from :chops: ) and am very fond of Dumfries & Galloway (like the Southern Uplands a lot :luv: ).

Life doesn't get much better than either of those :P
I'm in South Ayrshire so not very far from Loch Doon and the start of the Galloway Hills such a beautiful place :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 19th, 2017, 9:24 am

:tu: :tu: :tu: :luv: :luv:
Seatallan
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop