Board Games

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Board Games

Postby Ratatouille » April 15th, 2017, 1:43 pm

I heard an interesting item on Saturday Live about board games this morning. Shortly afterwards DS telephoned and said that he and the family were going to a relatives house for a meal and a games night,

Are you a board game family/person? We have some of our funniest and happiest moments with family and friends playing everything from Ludo to Diplomacy etc. What about you. Do you have particular favourites?
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Re: Board Games

Postby Pepper Pig » April 15th, 2017, 2:56 pm

I believe that's the exhibition that Stokey Sue went to recently and thought less than wonderful. :( I heard Saturday Live too although I don't much care for it when Richard is absent. I thought the lady curator sounded awfully pleased with herself.

I love Trivial Pursuit but grew up on Monopoly, Scrabble, Cluedo and Escalado. My lot tend to play quizzy type games but usually on their games consoles with multiple handsets. They occasionally deign to let me join in. I used to play endless games of Sorry with my cousins.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 15th, 2017, 3:09 pm

I still need to give feedback on that exhibition. Really don't bother unless you have 30minutes to kill in Bethnal Green I'll try to listen to the item

As you may know, I play backgammon, reasonably seriously (tournament player)

I have everything, but don't really play them, for some reason I am absolutely rubbish at Scrabble, although pretty verbal and also not bad at crosswords :?

The Annual Mind Sports Olympiad used to be at Alexandra Place, went a couple of times, was fun, have not been in it's new venue, it's August Bank Holiday weekend, they have all sorts of games. if there's backgammon this year I'll probably be there

http://www.msoworld.com/schedule/full-schedule/
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 15th, 2017, 6:16 pm

As you know Mr rats plays chess regularly but I am talking about possibly sillier games, not that I think Diplomacy is a stupid game but we love , as a family, Articulate , Pictionary etc,

When yound=g our kids loved Trivial Pursuits but on holiday played them in French and English with their French friends.

GCs currenlty enjoying one called Obama Lama !
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 15th, 2017, 8:05 pm

I like board games but not so much Monopoly where you have to calculate mortgages and things. That's bad enough in real life. For some reason I don't like Scrabble much either even though I usually like word games - I think it's because you have to add up your score all the time (see previous sentence!).

I like Trivial Pursuit, love things like Cluedo, have played Obama Lama which is quite fun. I don't remember the name, but in the 70's, we used to play a game where you had to build up a kingdom of oil fields buy transporting goods by little boats across the sea. We loved that. My mind has gone blank now but I do think that games evenings with family or friends are great fun.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 15th, 2017, 8:24 pm

DId you ever play at The Fox Reformed, Sue?

My parents didn't like board games, and I suppose as a consequence they don't thrill me. I quite like word and knowledge games though.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby northleedsbhoy » April 15th, 2017, 9:18 pm

I much prefer card games like crib or as a family game we used to play Newmarket, which was good fun.

Cheers
NLB :tu:
northleedsbhoy
Registered

Postby Amber » April 15th, 2017, 9:59 pm

We often play (on the few times all the family are together), fun and easy games to suit all ages and abilities, such as Cranium, Logos, or Labyrinth.
Amber
Registered

Postby Catherine » April 15th, 2017, 10:14 pm

We are when the family get together, and agree that many fond memories come from such occasions. Particular family favourites are

Trivial Pursuit
Pictionary
Balderdash
Scrabble
Bananagrams
Taboo

My sister does games night once a week with the kids. They love it
Catherine
Registered

Postby Luca » April 15th, 2017, 10:42 pm

Catherine wrote:We are when the family get together, and agree that many fond memories come from such occasions. Particular family favourites are

Trivial Pursuit
Pictionary
Balderdash
Scrabble
Bananagrams
Taboo

My sister does games night once a week with the kids. They love it

Such a good idea at that age. Hopefully they'll carry on into adulthood. Love these but no idea what Banagrams is. Also love articulate and Therapy.
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby StokeySue » April 15th, 2017, 11:03 pm

Herbidacious wrote:DId you ever play at The Fox Reformed, Sue?

Oh yes
The Fox was my local for the best part of 25 years, I went initially for the wine tasting and joined the bg which rather took over my life, met many of my current friends and late OH there.
We also used to play silly games, mainly Yahtzee and Scrabble
The place has just reopened as Andi Oliver's restaurant which looks like a positive move, as we weren't keen on what replaced the Fox Reformed after they retired
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Catherine » April 15th, 2017, 11:28 pm

Luca wrote:Love these but no idea what Banagrams is

You would love it, kind of variation on scrabble but different lol. I'll bring it round when I see you, but be warned, it is utterly addictive. Jacob loves it
Catherine
Registered

Postby andipandi » April 16th, 2017, 7:21 am

Love board games. Articulate and balderdash are particular favourites. Recently we bought Pointless and Would I lie to you - based on the tv shows. Both are fun.
andipandi
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 16th, 2017, 7:52 am

earthmaiden wrote:For some reason I don't like Scrabble much either even though I usually like word games - I think it's because you have to add up your score all the time (see previous sentence!).

EM, you can play scrabble on FB ... that does all the sums for you. Scrabble is the only online game I play .. still don't see the point of things like Candy Crush ..:(

As a child we had the usual like draughts (drafts ?) and snakes and ladders. I don't like Monopoly at all. One we had when daughter was younger was called Yahtzee ..

More recently I was introduced to an American game called 'Mexican Train' No-one here seems to have heard of it. It's great fun, only a bit of skill but you do need at least 3 and up to 6 people playing it for a great laugh .. and it can take all night too - one for nibbles and drinks to go with it ;) :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » April 16th, 2017, 9:42 am

We just discovered Mexican Train last summer, staying with friends in France...it is really good fun. I've bought a set for here, but we haven't managed to get anyone to join us yet. We play a Scottish board game called Stramash...it's a bit like ludo, another one which can last all night...and can get very rowdy especially if alcohol is involved!
Rummikub is a good game to get your mind working, we find children are much better at it than us.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby scullion » April 16th, 2017, 3:04 pm

the upcountry young go to the board game café in oxford with friends quite often (and therefore regularly add to their haul), and have a fair few of their own that are bought down at christmas such as:-
cranium,
colt express,
obama llama,
logos,
ticket to ride (europe),
catan, and more.

we have:-
cluedo,
monopoly
and scrabble (all had for christmases when i was small),
and have since added:- boggle,
trivial pursuit,
pictionary,
risk (i do like risk) and a few others.

we rather like board games.
scullion
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » April 16th, 2017, 7:42 pm

I played board games a lot as a kid - still have quite a few of them. But nowadays we all seem to do our own thing.
:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby Amber » April 16th, 2017, 9:53 pm

I like pictionary too, but not everyone here shares my enthusiasm.

Banagrams here is (very!!) fast, furious, and fun! And each individual game (with no running scores) only lasts about a minute or two. I hate Monopoly and Game of Life. They go on, and on, and on.

Kensington is good for those who prefer quiet games. You have to think! :o And plan! :o

Also Taboo and Continuo can be good to play with children. And Bonkers, which is a bit like Snakes and Ladders on acid.

(I didn't realise I liked playing games so much. :o :D :D I'm going to research Mexican Train now....)
Last edited by Amber on April 16th, 2017, 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amber
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 16th, 2017, 9:56 pm

andipandi wrote:Love board games. Articulate and balderdash are particular favourites. Recently we bought Pointless and Would I lie to you - based on the tv shows. Both are fun.

I played Balderdash for the first time recently with ladies from my social group. It was hilarious!

Pat - I need to get away from the gadgets, not be encouraged to use them more :lol:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 17th, 2017, 8:44 am

earthmaiden wrote:Pat - I need to get away from the gadgets, not be encouraged to use them more

But this won't be another one will it ;) Same pc/laptop, just another thing to use it for :tu: .
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 17th, 2017, 8:48 am

:lol: :lol: more time spent on it .. :td: :td: :td:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » April 17th, 2017, 11:48 am

One of the ex patriate clubs here holds a Board Game Evening every Wednesday.
We play Mah Jong, not a board game but you do have to think ahead

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 17th, 2017, 12:14 pm

I have a beautiful Mah Jong set but don't know how to play (I have two books which apparently describe entirely different games). When I have a little more time I might get an app that walks you through the rules and plays, so I can at least find out if the game appeals to me or not.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby andipandi » April 17th, 2017, 6:56 pm

Mah Jong reminds me of Patrick McGoohan in an episode of Columbo.
andipandi
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » April 17th, 2017, 7:19 pm

I have both tile and card versions of mah jong

And I can't play :lol:
TBH, the scoring looks a bit complicated.
I have a mah jong patience game on my puter which is quite fun.
Grasshopper

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » April 18th, 2017, 5:35 am

Grasshopper wrote:the scoring looks a bit complicated

That's why we don't score.

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby uschi » April 18th, 2017, 10:44 am

I love boardgame and, living in Germany, I am spoilt for choice, since Germans not only play board games a lot, they also develop a good number of them.

My current favourite is "Carcassonne", named after the French Medieval walled town.
Each player has a group of wooden figures (followers) and there's a big stash of cardboard "tiles" each forming part of a Medieval landscape (you get elements like green farmland, roads, parts of towns and abbeys). There is also a score board.
The players take turns in taking a tile from a stack of face down tiles (so they can't see what they are getting), turn it over and try to add it tiles that are already there. You can lay claims to the components by placing your followers on them, but since there are only so many followers, you need to think a bit.
You also have to be careful about the layout of your roads and towns, there are straight bits, bends, forks, cul-de-sacs and what have you.

The rules and the scoring are relatively simple, it's the combination of luck of the draw and strategy that is addictive. You have no idea what you'll be getting next, but even a seemingly "lame" card may be turned into a game-changer if you know how to play well.
uschi
Registered

Postby cooksalot » April 18th, 2017, 2:41 pm

I like board games but it's finding someone to play them with me - OH not keen. My favourite board game is chess and there was a time when I was passably good at it :oops:
The kids/grandkids all like to play computer games (although the younger ones still like snakes & ladders!).These days I sometimes find myself playing the dreaded Candy Crush Saga on the computer when I can't (or won't!) find anything else to do....
cooksalot
Registered

Postby andipandi » April 18th, 2017, 3:22 pm

Anyone remember Mastermind- with the coloured pins?
andipandi
Registered

Postby Luca » April 18th, 2017, 4:55 pm

andipandi wrote:Anyone remember Mastermind- with the coloured pins?

Absolutely. We still have a set somewhere.

Catherine, I look forward to playing it!
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby Seatallan » April 18th, 2017, 5:23 pm

andipandi wrote:Anyone remember Mastermind- with the coloured pins?

Gosh, that takes me back! :D

Did anyone play 'mousie-mousie' when they were little?
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 18th, 2017, 6:44 pm

I LOVED Mastermind! Came across our mini version in a box of toys I had put away the other day, some pegs are missing but it's still playable.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » April 18th, 2017, 8:04 pm

Ah yes, Mastermind. That takes me back!
So simple, yet so absorbing!
Grasshopper

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » April 18th, 2017, 8:05 pm

And who remembers 'Home You Go' or 'Sorry'.
Used to play those at school.
Grasshopper

Grasshopper
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop