Feeds how many ?

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Feeds how many ?

Postby Zosherooney » April 19th, 2017, 10:25 am

We recently had a chicken, on the outer wrapping it said.... feeds 3/4. I guess it was a good 2 kilos. Unless we are eating really small portions we have already had 7 portions from it!

Do supermarkets do this to make you buy a bigger bird ?
Zosherooney
Registered

Re: Feeds how many ?

Postby Catherine » April 19th, 2017, 11:03 am

I would say it depends on how you serve those portions. If you serve as a roast, then in a pie, and soup, and sandwiches etc then yes I would expect it to go much farther than suggested
Catherine
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 19th, 2017, 11:12 am

I agree with Catherine. You usually use more chicken when serving it freshly roasted I think, so if you were serving several people generously the best bits would probably be gone. There would still be lots to pick off when cold for other dishes even though some people throw away the carcass at this stage :o . If you cook a chicken and serve it cold or slice it cold and reheat the slices, it seems to go much further. That said, it sounds like the size of chicken which we used to serve a family of 4 with at Christmas and still have plenty of leftovers for Boxing Day and other dishes the day after!

It does sound as though it might be a ploy to make you buy a larger one!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » April 19th, 2017, 11:18 am

See Angela Hartnett's article from last week's Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... a-hartnett

When we had all 4 children here I always roasted 2 smallish chickens together (Costco sell them in double packs). One did us all for a generous dinner, the leftovers plus the other chook provided meals and sandwiches for the next 3 days. And then I made stock.

I wish I was still a good-little-housewife. :oops: :oops:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Hope » April 19th, 2017, 11:28 am

500g per person?! Do they expect people to just eat roast dinner and throw the rest away?
Hope
Registered

Postby PurpleLuv » April 19th, 2017, 11:37 am

Do they expect people to just eat roast dinner and throw the rest away?

You would be surprised Hope, I have a 35 yr old friend that boasts "Purps taught me how to strip a chicken" :shock:

Prior, she would latterly use it for a meal & then bin it :rolleyes:
PurpleLuv
Global Moderator

Postby scullion » April 19th, 2017, 12:02 pm

PurpleLuv wrote:"Purps taught me how to strip a chicken"

i've unwrapped a mummy (fancy dress, definitely not old and desiccated) but stripping a chicken seems a little kinky.
scullion
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » April 19th, 2017, 12:07 pm

I have just looked at a chicken I bought yesterday, it weighs 1.4 kg, and says it feeds 3-4. If I roast it for my hungry family of 4 there will be enough left to make a pie or risotto, and then stock of course, but the majority will be eaten at the main meal. I would expect a 2 kg bird to feed 6 for a main meal.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 19th, 2017, 12:29 pm

I don't look at the number of servings - useless information. I go by weight and what I want to do with it.

I can easily get 8 portions out of a medium sized chicken plus of course stock for at least 4 servings of soup.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 19th, 2017, 1:28 pm

Ratatouille wrote: I don't look at the number of servings - useless information. I go by weight and what I want to do with it.

Me too

Hope, don't forget there is bone in meat so the weight looks quite high, but I still think that is way too much, 150 g of the actual meat you swallow is a really big portion IMO

The ones that annoy me are recipes that say serves X and are often out by a factor of two, either serves twice as many or half as many. BBC Good Food seems particularly bad in this respect. It's OK if you are an experienced cook but very off putting for a novice.
You get used to cookery writers though, I have a book in which the portions seem very small, until you realise she assumes three courses plus bread and salad, then when she does a one pot wonder she goes overboard for fear of under catering :D You get used to these little foibles
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » April 19th, 2017, 3:28 pm

I think you are right Sue. Cooking for so many years I have a good idea of portion sizes, and also I know when cooking for myself and OH or have other family here, we eat a large main course, as we all prefer savoury food. A pudding is a very rare thing in this house, and none of us snack at all after our main meal.
I always think Mary Berry meat/fish portions are rather small, but then she is rather keen on the 'afters'.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 19th, 2017, 4:42 pm

PurpleLuv wrote:You would be surprised Hope, I have a 35 yr old friend that boasts "Purps taught me how to strip a chicken" :shock:

Isn't it Cinnamon Sally who has a MIL like that? I seem to recall she chucks away the Christmas turkey on Boxing Day.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Busybee » April 19th, 2017, 5:25 pm

We have just finished the Easter turkey........I have just added up over 24 portions plus the stock has been frozen for use later. Having said that it was 6 kg!

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » April 19th, 2017, 5:38 pm

I seem to recall she chucks away the Christmas turkey on Boxing Day.
:scared: :scared: :scared:

Give me her address immediately, she needs educating !!!!!! :evil:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Bubbles » April 19th, 2017, 6:01 pm

Zosherooney wrote:

Send Purps round! :lol:
Bubbles
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 19th, 2017, 6:13 pm

Zosherooney wrote:

I think CinSal has been mentoring her :D
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Catherine » April 19th, 2017, 7:32 pm

Seatallan wrote:Isn't it Cinnamon Sally who has a MIL like that? I seem to recall she chucks away the Christmas turkey on Boxing Day

My mother would have a fit. All that stock opportunity. The main reason mum buys turkey is the meals you get from it after, which are actually better than the main event, especially the turkey and vegetable broth made with the stock
Catherine
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » April 19th, 2017, 8:19 pm

Hear Hear ! We have been drinking Jewish penicillin for the last couple of days ;) ;) Best thing for colds/flu/unwell
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 20th, 2017, 4:50 pm

I popped in to visit my Canadian friends this afternoon .. Louise was just dissecting a chicken she had bought and roasted a couple of days ago .. well she picked off some of the meat and they threw all the bones (still well covered) into the trash ... I told her that I would have made stock from the leftovers, but she said that she didn't know whether the chicken was organic or not and they (the Canadians) understood that using bones to make stock/broth, that weren't from organic animals would somehow poison you !?!?!? :rolleyes: This from the same couple who won't use a microwave for re-heating as it apparently takes all the goodness out of the food and changes it's chemical composition ... :? :rolleyes:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » April 20th, 2017, 5:00 pm

Sound an .... ahem interesting couple!
I pay no attention to serving sizes at all. People's appetites vary hugely. What my 85 year old grandmother would eat is hugely different to what my massive framed,ex rugby player stepdad. As others have mentioned, it depends on the composition of your meal . If I'm having chicken and veg, without potatoes, I'd definitely have more chicken than if there were carbs on the plate.
I always add lots of veg to bulk out things like casseroles, bolognaise etc. Partly to make it stretch more and also for nutrition/taste benefits
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 20th, 2017, 5:31 pm

That is what if you will excuse the word Nutribollocks. The chicken has been cooked with the bones inside the meat, with fluid circulating within the carcass; If the meat is safe to eat then the bone broth will be safe too - either the chicken is good or it is bad.

Every pathologist and biochemist I have ever known has used a microwave, and that's a fair few. Not likely if they are in any way unsafe,
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » April 20th, 2017, 5:42 pm

Patsy, they need educating...... what a waste, tutt tutt....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 20th, 2017, 6:41 pm

We have American friends just like that and our Danish friends have similar German ones,

Interesting to think that both couple have fairly serious health issues and neither can cook :terrified: :terrified: They simply fuss about food.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » April 20th, 2017, 7:50 pm

What we did with our Easter chicken:

Whole bird was roasted on Easter Sunday. Mum & me each got a leg portion & a wing. Younger Sis, who is not keen on meat on the bone, got breast meat. On Monday most of the remaining meat was reheated with leftover veg & gravy. On Tuesday chicken frame was cooked up into soup with a few veg. From that we got four portions.

We don't waste ;) :tu:

:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 20th, 2017, 9:57 pm

Never heard it called a chicken 'frame', but I know exactly what you mean ;) Is this a Yorkshire term ? ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Catherine » April 20th, 2017, 10:39 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:This from the same couple who won't use a microwave for re-heating as it apparently takes all the goodness out of the food and changes it's chemical composition ...

What do the use it for then? Time to teach them a thing or 2 Patsy. I dare you to cook a complete meal for them in the microwave
Catherine
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 21st, 2017, 8:33 am

They're priceless aren't they? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 21st, 2017, 8:45 am

Catherine wrote:
PatsyMFagan wrote:This from the same couple who won't use a microwave for re-heating as it apparently takes all the goodness out of the food and changes it's chemical composition ...

What do the use it for then? Time to teach them a thing or 2 Patsy. I dare you to cook a complete meal for them in the microwave

They don't have a microwave back in Canada ... they are at the moment staying in Lawrie's late Mum's house to clear it out and finalise a sale on it ..When they come to me for a meal I use my microwave for stuff (like gravy) that needs to be re-heated and don't give any thought to their preferences .... :rolleyes:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » April 21st, 2017, 10:09 am

Chicken Frame...... ? I have a vision of a chicken hobbling along on a zimmer frame....... :lol:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 22nd, 2017, 10:34 am

Hugh FW calls the equivalent part left after filleting a salmon the salmon frame, and has a recipe for Salmon Frame Soup
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby liketocook » April 22nd, 2017, 8:18 pm

Known as a carcass generally round here but butchers sell bags of "chicken frames" which tend to be the carcass without the wing and leg bones so presumably a by product of boneless chicken breasts
liketocook
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » April 23rd, 2017, 2:19 pm

When I`m catering, I allow 150 gms of protein per person, if it`s meat or chicken, and 200 gms if it`s fish.
I was doing an event recently and the chef told me that`s what they estimate for their customers.
Even allowing for 40% bones, your 2kg chicken still provides you with 1.2 kgs of meat. I`d think 6-8 servings, more likely.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » April 23rd, 2017, 3:43 pm

Kool, we ended up with about 12 including a great soup stock. I'm a happy bunny (chicken). :lol:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 23rd, 2017, 3:52 pm

I saw a very interesting BBC HARDtalk with stephen Sackur on the road in Venezuela
Still on iPlayer, the scenes of food queues and empty supermarkets were striking
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08p2gm5
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Janet » April 25th, 2017, 9:13 am

StokeySue wrote:I saw a very interesting BBC HARDtalk with stephen Sackur on the road in Venezuela
Still on iPlayer, the scenes of food queues and empty supermarkets were striking
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08p2gm5

There have been a couple of 'Food Programmes' on Radio4 recently regarding Venezuela. They can be found here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08lgbwt

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08m98q5

Janet
Janet
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » April 25th, 2017, 10:03 am

Yes - good BBC programmes - and absolutely true. At least, a whole lot more objective than the Grauniad`s stance.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » April 25th, 2017, 7:31 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:Never heard it called a chicken 'frame', but I know exactly what you mean ;) Is this a Yorkshire term ? ;)

Umm - I dunno. Some peeps just call it a carcasse.
Grasshopper

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » April 25th, 2017, 7:32 pm

Zosherooney wrote:Chicken Frame...... ? I have a vision of a chicken hobbling along on a zimmer frame....... :lol:

Zosh - :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Grasshopper

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby Lokelani » April 29th, 2017, 8:44 am

The 1-1.2 kg ones usually say 2-3 people on. We get at least 2 meals for the 2 of us from them. Its very rare that we have puds though, so could probably get even more portions if saving room for dessert.

Pre-packed cooked chicken is so expensive I sometimes try to cook 2 at a time & package up sliced white meat packs for sarnies or salads & dark meat bits for pie or risotto etc.

It's surprising how much you can save if you have the time & energy to bother. Same with a big piece of gammon vs sliced ham packs. It's really hard to slice that thinly enough to save money for sandwiches though.
Lokelani
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop