Dirty wooden chopping board - would you use it?

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Dirty wooden chopping board - would you use it?

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 31st, 2017, 8:36 am

I have a very large wooden chopping board, it was quite expensive when I bought it and have always kept it clean, took care of it and used it every day.

During my recent house move and with me not being around for it I didn't realise that because it is so heavy it wasn't put in with regular stored items but kept in a neighbour's shed. :terrified: It was then put into the boot of my car. I haven't been driving because of my broken shoulder but just had to go into the boot for something and found it! It is filthy! Big stains where I presume it got damp in the shed and covered in cobwebs, dirt, dust. Sob..... I have it soaking in Mr Muscle Kitchen but will it be hygenic enough to use once cleaned, if it will clean up?

I will see how this cleaner works but am a bit dubious about using it!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Re: Dirty wooden chopping board - would you use it?

Postby suffolk » May 31st, 2017, 8:50 am

I would give it an overnight soak in Milton or bleach and then I'd be ok with using it.

However, things like that depend to some extent on your health and how your immune system is functioning ..... mine is pretty robust (so far) ... yours may not be ........
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Riocaz » May 31st, 2017, 9:18 am

If it's wood then it should be fine after a light sanding and re-sealing with a food grade mineral oil or beeswax.
Board Admin and general dogsbody

It's always a good idea to follow the directions exactly the first time you try a recipe. But from then on, you're on your own. -- James Beard

Onwards and Downwards!
Can't login? Please try this: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13153
Riocaz
Site Admin

Postby Riocaz » May 31st, 2017, 9:20 am

Ah here we go this explains it better than I could:

https://food52.com/blog/15170-how-to-re ... ting-board
Board Admin and general dogsbody

It's always a good idea to follow the directions exactly the first time you try a recipe. But from then on, you're on your own. -- James Beard

Onwards and Downwards!
Can't login? Please try this: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13153
Riocaz
Site Admin

Postby hickybank » May 31st, 2017, 9:29 am

Lots of advice on the web, this seems right to me
Cleaning Cutting Boards

No matter what kind of cutting board you use (wood, plastic, bamboo, kryptonite. . .), it’s important to wash it—especially if it’s handled any kind of raw meat.

1) Scrub the board thoroughly with soap and hot water flowing from the tap. Do not immerse/soak it in a pool of standing water in the sink. You want the grunge to wash down the drain, not soak into the board.

2) Wipe the board off well with a paper (or cloth) towel.

3) Let it air dry standing up to ensure you rid it of all moisture. (Bacteria love it moist!)

And if you want to take it a step further (though most of the germ-killing has already been done by washing):

4) You can sanitize with a solution of one-part vinegar to three-parts water. Fill up a spray bottle and lightly spray the board down. (Why not bleach? Vinegar happens to be more effective on wooden boards than bleach.) Again, let the board stand and air dry. Done!

I would add to that , I only use one board for cutting Chicken on which is cleaned straight away & stored for next time
Common sense is not so common
A brain is as strong as it's weakest think
hickybank
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 31st, 2017, 10:18 am

Thanks all, I do feel fully armed with enough info to bring it back to it's splendid glory!

So finally, should I still go for suff's soak overnight first and then do the sanding and oiling?

I was going to soak it in the kitchen sink it only just fit!) but I turned my back for ten minutes and all the water had drained away! I thought it was only the bathroom sink plug that didn't fit the hole! So if it could with a soak then my Mum will have to stick it in her bath!

Feel glad now that I know how to restore it. I love it!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 31st, 2017, 10:19 am

Riocaz instructions look fine, but personally I wouldn't use mineral oil or beeswax, in fact I don't think 'food grade' mineral oil is available in the UK, I'd ideally use almond oil or a neutral cooking oil, almond oil is available quite cheaply from Asian stores, I use it for wooden bowls and platters, the advantages are that it soaks in well and seldom goes rancid. Also use it a in cooking occasionally
Looking for the oil I have Superdrug appears to be the cheapest place to buy it apparently for hair :?
http://www.superdrug.com/KTC/KTC-Almond-Hair-Oil-200ml/p/333058
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 31st, 2017, 11:08 am

StokeySue wrote:in fact I don't think 'food grade' mineral oil is available in the UK,

I was confusing two things
Liquid paraffin = mineral oil used to be used in food preparation, but is no longer used

You can buy Butcher's Block Oil and similar for treating wood that comes into contact with food, probably less sticky than vegetable oils, but more expensive and my personal preference is to use something edible
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 31st, 2017, 12:08 pm

Personally, I would look at a wooden chopping board carefully before fully soaking. Some are made from pieces of wood stuck together and some from one large piece of wood. If it is the former, then the adhesive may weaken with prolonged soaking - and anyway will take an age to dry right through before you can seal with oil (I agree with Sue about the oil used). The sanding as advised should do the trick - along with very careful drying/oiling etc.

I would never cut meat on a wooden chopping board, there are so many good plastic ones which can go into a hot dishwasher these days.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 31st, 2017, 12:36 pm

There was an interesting discussion on R4 recently. It would seem that wooden boards are, in fact easier to render hygenic than frequently used plastic ones. The reason being that the cuts in a plastic one trap moisture and there fore potential bacteris wooden ones if scrubbed and wiped(not soaked)tain less and so bacteria are not held therein.

The very best way to clean a wooden board is to scrub it, wipe it dry and then put it out into the sun to dry. I wouldn't be worried about using it after thorough cleaning Tezza.

I
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Hope » May 31st, 2017, 1:18 pm

I oil my chopping board with a homemade mixture of beeswax and olive oil. Some oils can go rancid, but the beeswax stops that as it's a natural preservative. I wouldn't use mineral oil. You can buy special chopping board oil, but I haven't used it.

The tranditional way of cleaning wood in the kitchen is either vinegar (which kills germs) or soda crystal solution. Scrub well. Personally I'd probably sand the board back and reoil.

I definitely wouldn't ever soak or heat wood. It might warp, the glue holding it together might be damaged, so it could all fall apart. At the least it'll raise the grain, so you'd need to sand it back quite a bit. It could also cause further stains.
Hope
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » May 31st, 2017, 1:51 pm

My bread board was a wedding present in 1991.
It's never had more than a wipe or an occasional scrub - but then my house is pristine, isn't it? :lol: :shock:
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 31st, 2017, 2:30 pm

My bread board was a Christmas present to my mother in 1940, made by my uncle and inscribed Want Not. It is still in daily use and only ever gets wiped clean unless anything gets spilled on it.

My house is not pristine :lol: :lol:
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby scullion » May 31st, 2017, 2:38 pm

my wooden chopping boards are ikea, not much for two, possibly rubber wood and like everything else go in the dishwasher - they haven't spoilt yet.
my house needs demolishing.
scullion
Registered

Postby liketocook » May 31st, 2017, 3:33 pm

I keep a plastic one for fish and poultry but much prefer wood. My favourite is a repurposed piece of mahogany window sill from an old victorian house that was getting gutted. My flatmate at the time was a pasterer and salvaged some the wood from the skip (what a waste to through it away), sold some of it and turned two pieces into chopping boards one of which he gave me as a wedding present in 1989. It's had some hard knocks but suspect it will well outlast me.... ;)
I've also 2 IKEA rubberwood ones which are excellent seem happy in the dishwasher.

Cleaned up I would have no qualms about using a board that had been in storagage.
liketocook
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 31st, 2017, 3:49 pm

Ratatouille wrote:There was an interesting discussion on R4 recently. It would seem that wooden boards are, in fact easier to render hygenic than frequently used plastic ones. The reason being that the cuts in a plastic one trap moisture and there fore potential bacteris wooden ones if scrubbed and wiped(not soaked)tain less and so bacteria are not held therein.I

I can see that that could be the case. Interesting. My wooden one was made by a dear friend and is so precious to me that I hardly use it. I also have the bread board and knife which my parents had when they were married in 1948 and which was in daily use for the rest of my mother's life. It is only used on high days and holidays these days, in fact last Christmas my children both asked where it had come from. Considering how many times they had had bread and butter at my mother's house I was speechless!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Busybee » May 31st, 2017, 4:06 pm

earthmaiden wrote:
I can see that that could be the case. Interesting. My wooden one was made by a dear friend and is so precious to me that I hardly use it. I also have the bread board and knife which my parents had when they were married in 1948 and which was in daily use for the rest of my mother's life. It is only used on high days and holidays these days, in fact last Christmas my children both asked where it had come from. Considering how many times they had had bread and butter at my mother's house I was speechless!

Don't keep it for high days and holidays, use it every day and enjoy the pleasure it brings you. If it has had daily use from 1948 I doubt you will destroy it now. Too many times we keep things for best when we should be enjoying them as part of our normal life.

I am exactly the same with my jewellery- why keep it locked away waiting to be worn? I wear my most loved stuff daily.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 31st, 2017, 5:30 pm

My wooden board is a large piece of solid old Suffolk elm, cut and turned into a chopping block by DS when he was about 11 years old, with the help of his father. One side is used for raw meat/fish and the other side is used for everything else. In it's 30 + years of being a chopping board it's been scrubbed, soaked, bleached, vinegared, left outside in the rain after a BBQ and used for many many things. It's wonderful and is one of the first things I loaded into the car when I left his father.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Amber » June 1st, 2017, 10:17 pm

Although I have colour-coded plastic boards I too prefer (cheap) (IKEA) wooden boards. The only thing I would add is that after washing you drain/dry them vertically with the grain. I leave mine (at least overnight on a wire rack) to dry thoroughly.

(OH hates wooden boards, I love them!)
Amber
Registered

Postby Seatallan » June 2nd, 2017, 8:38 am

Every time I read this topic I think of 'Dirty Rotten Scoundrels'. I wonder if 'Dirty Wooden Chopping Board' would work as a sequel? :D
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby andipandi » June 5th, 2017, 10:44 am

:D I like it!

I have a wooden one that is used for meat. The others veg. I can't bear chopping on plastic or, even worse (often found in a holiday home) glass. I give them all a good old clean but the meat one gets extra attention.
andipandi
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 5th, 2017, 11:08 am

andipandi wrote:I can't bear chopping on plastic or, even worse (often found in a holiday home) glass

I agree ......... can't bear to chop on plastic and absolutely won't chop on glass.

I usually take a couple of good knives with me on our holidays ... if the ones in holiday homes started off well they're rarely looked after properly ... not the property owners' fault of cause and not everyone understands about knives ..... but I'm absolutely not going to ruin my knives on bad surfaces.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » June 5th, 2017, 12:10 pm

suffolk wrote:I agree ......... can't bear to chop on plastic and absolutely won't chop on glass.

I have a red (plastic) board for raw meat and a green one for the veg. I use plastic as good wooden boards tend to be a bit heavy for my arthriticky fingers to grab hold of ... besides, my green one is the Joseph Joseph one that folds and is so useful for shovelling stuff into the waste bin ;) :tu:
Last edited by PatsyMFagan on June 5th, 2017, 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Hope » June 5th, 2017, 12:22 pm

I love the sound of my knife on the wooden chopping board. I think my neighbour has a glass one. I can hear the sound through the wall and it makes me cringe.
Hope
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 5th, 2017, 12:28 pm

I'm completely with Pat, no problem with plastic, used in many professional kitchens after all
I've got a couple of bamboo ones too, they are perhaps easier to clean than wood, and certainly lighter to lift

The glass ones IMO are surface protectors, not chopping boards, fine for putting things down on
Must replace a couple of plastic ones
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby miss mouse » June 5th, 2017, 12:47 pm

Hope wrote:I love the sound of my knife on the wooden chopping board.

So do I.

Hope wrote: I think my neighbour has a glass one. I can hear the sound through the wall and it makes me cringe.

It makes me cringe for the poor knife.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » June 5th, 2017, 1:34 pm

I have seen many glass 'chopping' boards used in television cookery programmes... particularly when you are in a participant's home.You would think the that professional chefs/advisors would put them right about how they blunt knives so badly ;) :(
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » June 5th, 2017, 2:11 pm

I find them a bit dangerous, the knife seems to skid on the glass surface.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Seatallan » June 5th, 2017, 4:37 pm

suffolk wrote:I usually take a couple of good knives with me on our holidays ... if the ones in holiday homes started off well they're rarely looked after properly

Very true...

I love the random items you find in holiday cottage kitchens. There's often a plethora of toast racks and not infrequently a set of corn on the cob holders, and we once encountered a waffle iron. On the other hand, there's almost inevitably something vital missing (in one memorable let there were no saucepans and only one mug :) ).
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Gruney » June 5th, 2017, 5:03 pm

I remember a cafetiere with no plunger.
Gruney
Registered

Postby Seatallan » June 5th, 2017, 5:13 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby smitch » June 5th, 2017, 7:16 pm

We stayed in a cottage once that had no cheese grater :shock: was interesting trying to make the topping to lasagne!
smitch
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 5th, 2017, 7:43 pm

Stayed in a cottage in Dorset once that seemed to have a sample of every china pattern my Mum and aunt had between 1944 and and 1966

On the other hand stayed in a villa in Majorca that had all the spare china and glasses for a couple of restaurants, and some correspondingly huge saucepans, very little ordinary equipment (it was lent to us by the restaurant owner, so we couldn't complain)9
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » June 6th, 2017, 9:48 am

smitch wrote:We stayed in a cottage once that had no cheese grater :shock:

Ditto. It's amazing what you can do with a vegetable peeler. :D
Seatallan
Registered

Postby PurpleLuv » June 6th, 2017, 9:57 am

I usually take a couple of good knives with me on our holidays ... if the ones in holiday homes started off well they're rarely looked after properly

I remember the day H caught 15 mackerel & all the cottage by way of knives couldn't cut butter, never again will I go away without knives to gut.
PurpleLuv
Global Moderator

Postby StokeySue » June 6th, 2017, 10:30 am

TK Maxx often seem to have the Kuhn Rikon super sharp coloured knives in sheaths, and they aren't expensive anywhere, easy to pack, I have a bright yellow one for picnics, quite hard to lose

https://www.kuhnrikon.co.uk/cutting/kitchen-knives/paring-knives?gclid=CP68hJeBqdQCFYkp0wodKq4Mmw
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Amber » June 6th, 2017, 10:52 pm

I have two different sizes of those knives, bought in Lakeland when they were on a very special offer. (They often are at this time of year). Somehow, being sheathed, I feel safer, and don't expect to get stopped for carrying a dangerous weapon through customs etc.
Amber
Registered

Postby PurpleLuv » June 7th, 2017, 8:03 am

You can't get anything through customs here at the minute, they took my mini nail clippers off me last month :lol:

Maybe in hold luggage :tu:
PurpleLuv
Global Moderator

Postby StokeySue » June 7th, 2017, 8:11 am

Yes, you can put kitchen knives in hold luggage
I take the sheathed knives, a can opener, a multi bottle opener, and some of those ice cube bags, and a Lidl or Aldi pre-filled disposable pepper grinder. Everything else I can wing
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » June 7th, 2017, 9:47 am

StokeySue wrote:and a Lidl or Aldi pre-filled disposable pepper grinder.

We have a 'Holiday Salt & Pepper' set which always comes with us. :D Mind you, there's nearly always salt & pepper hidden away somewhere in a kitchen cupboard in a holiday cottage. There's also often a nearly-empty bottle of malt vinegar, an opened bag of flour (well past its use-by date) and often a selection of those sachets of salad cream/mayo/tartar sauce, etc, that you find in pubs. :)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 7th, 2017, 11:09 am

Round the Med they tend to completely clear out food stuffs from the cupboards, there is often salt but any pepper is the kind that looks like vacuum cleaner emptyings :sprout:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » June 7th, 2017, 12:47 pm

When we rented a gite here in Provence for the first time we were missing a lot in the kitchen. However I had the foresight to pack my pressure cooker in the car along with a couple of sharp knives and my steel. Our friends brought along their enormous cast iron frying pan which they called the ultimate deterrent. As there were only two gas rings we were glad we had.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Seatallan » June 7th, 2017, 5:38 pm

StokeySue wrote:any pepper is the kind that looks like vacuum cleaner emptyings :sprout:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Much the same in holiday cottages in Cumbria and Scotland actually.
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Gruney » June 7th, 2017, 6:48 pm

I've found all sorts in holiday cottage cupboards over the years, but the other month, when I was in Northumberland, I found a first - half a packet of dog biscuits.
Gruney
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 7th, 2017, 7:57 pm

Better than no dog biscuits at all Gruney ;)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Gruney » June 7th, 2017, 8:01 pm

Indeed Suffs - good job I took a dog. :D
Gruney
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 7th, 2017, 10:09 pm

Fortunate indeed Gruney :lol:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Amber » June 7th, 2017, 11:08 pm

I don't fly, so we're only talking about ferries here.
Last year I bought salt and pepper mills on offer in the pound shop. No sign of them so far this year, and our holidays start very soon! :D 8-) :lol:
Amber
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » June 7th, 2017, 11:37 pm

When I used to holiday self catering in Cumbria quite a lot I used to take one of those roll up kitchen knife things with all my favourite knives in and just hoped they had a good chopping board. 9/10 they did so it was like home from home. I couldn't have done a week or two without being able to chop food!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » June 8th, 2017, 5:06 am

When we were looking for accommodation here on Serifos there were some photos on the website and it was described as having a kitchenette, all I could see from the photos was a cupboard that looked like a wardrobe but with a roll down/ pull down door, a bit like a modern slatted/roll down garage door. On arrival and closer inspection, everything is inside, sink, drainer, 2 leccy rings, fridge, area containing a few bits of crockery, cutlery, fry and sauce pan, very neat. No bread knife so we buy the bread to fit the only sharp knife ! I did ask for one but it never appeared! Quite impressed with the design but a bit more planning if I were to put one in my Hobbit room when it happens but it did me some ideas. :tu: It does have a small very clean chopping board!
Zosherooney
Registered

Next

Return to The Coffee Shop