Dirty wooden chopping board - would you use it?

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Dirty wooden chopping board - would you use it?

Postby Kacey » June 8th, 2017, 6:25 pm

I have a little bag that goes with me on every holiday (we always self cater) it contains a good vegetable knife, a potato peeler (as a left hander I struggle a bit with some) a mini pepper mill, a decent wooden spoon & spatula, a decent sized square of muslin (makes a very good colander should you not have one) a collapsible beaker (has measures on the inside and doubles up for using at those freshwater taps you find in Greek villages) a small briki (bought in Greece one year to use to tarka and comes in handy for that alone) Might be another thing or two.

We have breakfast and as we go off hiking for the day, we don't usually have more than a bit of fruit and yogurt till our dinner late evening. Therefore our breakfast has to be good and will mostly be a curry or dal on toast. So along with my "kitchen in a bag", I have a small lock & lock box full of my most used spices and a handful of dried chillies!
Kacey
Registered

Postby Kacey » June 8th, 2017, 6:40 pm

Oh, I also have a silicon ice cube tray that goes with me - if there's an ice cube tray at all, it'll always be one of those hard plastic ones which will weld itself to the freezer and be impossible to get the cubes out of. I'll put up with Gordons gin on hols if there's nothing better, but I must have ice and a slice.
Kacey
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » June 8th, 2017, 9:59 pm

Strangely, I brought a large clove of garlic (the last one at home) and a knob of fresh ginger both used today in a noodle salad for lunch on the large veranda we have. Have also found a great use of the instant packs of inexpensive flavoured noodles you can buy in the UK. Mixed with cubed courgette, green beans, onion, tomato and mixed peppers we have eaten like kings ! But do eat out at least once a day.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » January 7th, 2018, 11:17 pm

Well, it is only seven months later but things are starting to move in the right direction, finally.

On Friday I liberally doused my chopping board (like most inanimate object in my life he needs a name if anyone has any ideas... ) in bicarb in my mum's bath in plenty of hot water, weighed him down with a tin of paint, turned him over a couple of times, drained then air dried. The water was black and it took a good clean with Mr Muscle to get rid of the tidemark in the bath. The difference is remarkable! I now have it back in my possession :bounce: and in the morning will embark on Operation Soda Crystals. I have a good scourer, may need some sandpaper then after that see if it needs treating as recommended on here.

Considering the fact that I have a postage stamp of a kitchen, this is definitely going be the focus of attention!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 8th, 2018, 10:09 am

I was thinking of this thread when I reead this the other day:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-birmingham-42582900
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » January 8th, 2018, 12:30 pm

Goodness me! You can't have that in a restaurant! A warning comes for a reason and should be taken notice of! Another idiot restauranteur with no intelligent brain! (me thinks 'What a mess' thread)...

I have scrubbed and scrubbed my board with soda in hot water and more dirt came off. One side is now clean to the eye. It is now air drying again. I am not sure if I am making a dent on the main stain on the other side though. Not knowing what the stain actually is makes it difficult to know how to get it off. It is certainly not food. I will probably have another go with the soda later.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Gruney » January 8th, 2018, 5:39 pm

I know you said it cost you a good few bob, but that is behind you now. Given what you've heard, would you ever be confident of eating anything that had been prepared on it?
Gruney
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » January 8th, 2018, 5:45 pm

I am half in doubt now Gruney. Shame because one side cleaned up so brilliantly.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 8th, 2018, 6:20 pm

I know what I would do ....... get a cheap plastic chopping board or two for now and then, with your first salary payment or as soon as you can afford it, treat yourself to a lovely wooden one that you will love and look after for the rest of your life ... what a wonderful way to celebrate getting back into the swing of things. ;)
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » January 8th, 2018, 6:39 pm

I have a very cheap and wobbly plastic one on loan from my mum which is tiding me over for now. I think this wooden one is past it so has to stay in the past I tried. I think now I need to start a first salary list of desirables to include a new board! Something to look forward to! What a good idea! :bounce:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby scullion » January 8th, 2018, 6:50 pm

how thick is the wooden board? - if you found someone who does woodwork is it thick enough to have a thin layer planed off and then sanded smooth again? - it seems a shame to give up on it if you love it so much.
scullion
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 8th, 2018, 6:54 pm

Is there a Homesense in Luton Teresa? They had some fab wooden boards in there just after Christmas. Usually very competitive prices.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 8th, 2018, 7:06 pm

Sometimes wooden chopping boards can develop a black staining deep inside ... this can be caused by moisture from chopped raw potatoes penetrating the wood ... if this is what's happened the black staining will keep reappearing on the surface, even after it's been planed or sanded.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » January 8th, 2018, 7:32 pm

I don't know anywhere or anyone locally that could fix this. I doubt the stain is from anything I have done as it was okay before it was removed from my last kitchen. But....

I have just explained to my Dad my dilemma and he quickly shouted 'wifey, wifey, rescue that chopping board!!!' They had revamped a couple of kitchen items on their boat, their chopping board being one of them. They wanted a bigger one. Their old one had nothing wrong with it, is about 10 x 10 inches, perfect for me, so it's mine! How's that for good timing? :hi5:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 8th, 2018, 7:37 pm

Brilliant Tezza and Tezza's Dad .... teamwork :hi5: :tu:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Amber » January 8th, 2018, 10:28 pm

I have several JosephJoseph chopping boards which I love, but I’m also very fond of the cheap Ikea wooden chopping boards. However, if you wash or bleach them, and leave them on the side to drain, they get black mound on the bottom. They need to dry on a wire rack where the air can circulate round their nether regions. ;)
Amber
Registered

Previous

Return to The Coffee Shop