Insomniacs united.

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Insomniacs united.

Postby jrc » June 14th, 2017, 6:37 am

How do you deal with this?

Bob has snoring issues so sleeps in another room, so it is me and the dog.

I have tried everything I can think of.

I don't want to resort to sleeping pills. :shock:

I have tried going to bed early, late and every time in between. I bath in the mornings so don't want to faff about doing the same at night. Not into milky drinks. I have tried the radio on quietly. Reading, my specs fall off my nose and can't get comfy. Don't do herbal tea either.

A recent relaxation technique was to choose a word and a subject. Try election and food. Think of all the foods you can think of beginning with E, then move to L then E again. You get the idea. I have tried sleeping with the window open and closed.

I now have a Fitbit which confirmed what I thought, that I just get about 5-10% deep sleep, the remainder either R.E.M. Or light/ restless / awake.

I only have free view in the bedroom and no where for dvd's etc.

I have pretty much given up and have accepted I am not sleeping well and just try and find something non challenging on the tv such as Pie in the Sky or something similar and drift with it on in the background. Not ideal, I know.

I don't want to get up and move about the house as that will disturb Bob and Sophie would look on that as an extra opportunity to play.

I have thick blackout curtains and have tried curtains open and closed.

What sleeping techniques do you use for sleep and relaxation? :hug: :hug: :hug:
jrc
Registered

Re: Insomniacs united.

Postby Pepper Pig » June 14th, 2017, 6:40 am

I use Kalms or gin. ;)
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Busybee » June 14th, 2017, 6:47 am

Get rid of TV and all electrical devices including phone from your bedroom. Be really strict about stopping use of electronics at least an hour before bed.

Is it getting off to sleep that you struggle with or staying asleep? Is this something new? Have you consulted a doctor?

Sorry lots,of questions

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby jrc » June 14th, 2017, 7:17 am

I can get off without too much trouble. I tend to wake after about an hour and a half and then I am doomed. I forgot to mention I have tried the zero electrical s too. I just got annoyed with myself lying in the dark, hence using the tv as distraction. The doctor offered me a short term course of sleeping pills which I accepted and when I collected the prescription she had given me four days worth. :rolleyes:

My friend has sleeping pills and brandy. :oops: I am on a bit of a health kick ATM and am trying to limit my white wine to weekends only, though that doesn't always work.

Again, I am under stress again. I have some serious financial problems with two of the properties ATM

I still haven't had a proper chance to get to know my new GP yet and due to the meds I am currently on I can understand her reluctance to add more.

I am trying to increase exercise to make sure I am physically tired, though that has good and bad days like yesterday when the heart was racing a lot of the time.

We are also on a slightly noisier road than before though not significantly so, not enough to have that much impact. :hug: :hug: :hug:
jrc
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 14th, 2017, 7:43 am

I think that sometimes, if you have cares and anxieties, it is reasonable to accept that you will find sleep difficult ... stressing about not sleeping only makes matters worse ... if you can do positive stuff in the day to deal with the problems that are causing the anxiety, you will go to bed feeling more in control and this will help with settled sleep ... and try to recognise that these problems are going to be short term and will be resolved.

Good luck :hug:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » June 14th, 2017, 9:42 am

Wise words from Suffs. I agree- it may be easiest to accept it and ride it out. If you can do that you may well find you've broken the cycle and start to sleep better anyway. Big hugs :hug: :hug: :hug:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 14th, 2017, 9:51 am

I take Nytol One a Night - occasional (um) use. It's antihistamine based. Herbal ones don't touch the sides for me, as insomnia is usually stress-caused and herbal remedies just don't cut it. They only work is you are a little stressed.
This may sound daft but, I make up stories. Nothing too demanding/engaging - you can't get 'into' them too much. They stop me thinking about things that worry me.
Last resort, I get up and drink warm milk. As Suffs says more eloquently, try not to worry about not sleeping. I tell myself I will still be getting some rest.
There is something else, but I can't mention it on here...

My problem is getting off to sleep. It has to be said that while on holiday I slept like a log. Last night (back at work today) terrible. The week before the holiday I didn't get more than 4 hours a night for five days. I was tearful and slightly hysterical at the end of that. Usually I don't suffer from insomnia for more than three days. By the fourth, I am so exhausted that I sleep ok.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby liketocook » June 14th, 2017, 10:50 am

My meniere's symptoms disrupt my sleep, like you jrc I get off ok but struggle to stay asleep. Generally I get a couple of hours at a time before I must move position and I wake up feeling as though the world is moving. Sleeping pills are not a good option due to other meds. GP suggested that instead of trying to sleep and getting in a knot because I wasn't, I should just get myself comfortable and focus on relaxing. This has greatly helped, although I'm not getting anymore sleep I do feel less exhausted and more in control. She also suggested a day time nap or at least a couple of hours lying down would also help and it has - I appreciate if you are working that's not so easy to achieve.
liketocook
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » June 14th, 2017, 10:55 am

I think suffs has hit the nail on the head.
I find it is something that comes to me when stressed or anxious. And once I can stop worrying I start sleeping. I have tried Kalms and all the rest of them. There might have been a placebo effect to start with but after that no good and a waste of money.
It's not easy if you can't eradicate the stress! But in the meantime knowing that is what is probably causing it probably helps!
I miss my cats
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Catherine » June 14th, 2017, 11:31 am

I've suffered with insomnia all my life. I average 4hrs of sleep per night and that is broken sleep. Your body just gets use to it. I don't sleep in the day either
Last edited by Catherine on June 14th, 2017, 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catherine
Registered

Postby Hope » June 14th, 2017, 12:32 pm

Exercise, light during the day to get your melanomine right, relaxation, destress/meditation.

I can usually go to sleep ok (so long as no one's making noise in the house!) but sometimes wake up at 1/2/3am and can't go back to sleep. However, since I started working on my stress, that's not been so much of a problem. If I can't sleep now, I meditate, I throw my stressy thoughts out the window (in my mind) or write them down and say, I'm going to think about that at 10am tomorrow. I'm not allowed to think about it again until then. I also do a breathing exercise where I breath in for the count of 4, breath out and count to 6 (work out your own numbers, depending on your breath, but out should be longer than in), I soon lose count and fall asleep. I have also noticed that since I've been having kefir I don't need to wee as often during the night, which is really helping me sleep. I've no idea if it's just a coincidence. I need a lot of sleep 9.5-10 hours to keep my fatigue away, so I take this very seriously!
Hope
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » June 14th, 2017, 12:42 pm

I very rarely have problems sleeping. I atribute this to a banana before bed, a drop or 2 of levender oil on my silk pillow, no electronic equipment anywhere near me . Oh and eraplugs in case Mr R snores :lol: :lol:

Perhaps most important advice came from a close friend. Before you go to bed write down your worries and concerned from the day, Then fold it up and physically palce it in a box at the other side of the bedroom (she gave me a beautiful embroidered one) and leave it there until next morning.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 14th, 2017, 4:27 pm

Ah yes. I forgot magnesium. I take two tablets before bed, but these don't send me to sleep. Just make me a bit more relaxed... possibly.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » June 14th, 2017, 4:47 pm

I have never been a good sleeper and always envy people who can fall asleep within 10 minutes of getting into bed. What works for me is a lavender pillow spray, listening to guided sleep meditations and I also wear an eye mask. I always try not to stress if I can't get to sleep, but concentrate on lying still with my eyes shut and relaxing
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby Kacey » June 14th, 2017, 7:06 pm

The bane of my life too! I can usually get to sleep pretty easily but I wake up an awful lot. Usually every ninety minutes or so, my theory is its when I hit REM sleep, hence remembering so many dreams. On occasions I have nights when I just can't get to sleep, when that happens I set myself a time limit and if I'm not asleep by then I get up and have a hot drink and a biscuit or a slice if bread and read for half an hour, I can usually drop off pretty easily when I go back to bed.

Nytol doesn't work for me but I do sometimes take Phenergan (an anti-sickness over the counter thing), a doctor recommended it and it's pretty good for short term occasional use, but i do find it less effective if I take it too often.

I watched the Michael Mosley programme recently,The Trouble With Sleep, he'd had some success with inulin (an organic prebiotic fibre) so I thought I'd try it. I can't say it works every night, but i do have a lot of work and house move stress going on at the moment and I know that's affecting my sleep. On the whole though I've been impressed and will continue to take it.

The other thing I've tried is 2 kiwi fruit about an hour before bed - supposedly a bit of a tall tale but I'm convinced it made me sleep better!
Kacey
Registered

Postby mogatogs » June 14th, 2017, 7:31 pm

Like Catherine, I think you have to accept it, the more you worry about not sleeping the worse it gets, my sleep pattern has been dreadful for the last ten years at least I now accept it and manage it, the more I worry the worse it gets so just get on with it - sorry doesn't solve your problem but hey ho! much more important things in my life at the moment :hug:
mogatogs
Registered

Postby Hope » June 15th, 2017, 6:41 am

Hope wrote:I have also noticed that since I've been having kefir I don't need to wee as often during the night, which is really helping me sleep. I've no idea if it's just a coincidence

After saying that, I hit google and it seems it isn't just a coincidence. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3156505/ So anyone who's bladder keeps them up, have kefir (or other sort of probiotic).
Hope
Registered

Postby jrc » June 15th, 2017, 7:01 am

Morning all :hug:

Managed 5 hours 43 minutes according to my Fitbit thingy. Having said that we went to the Marlowe Theatre last night The Buddy Holly Show was fab.

I am not into any of these psychological books but came across one a few weeks ago which actually made a huge amount of sense in what I would describe as a currently chaotic lifestyle. The Key to Calm by Linda Blair. Can highly recommend if you can get hold of a copy. It makes a lot of sense without being patronising.

Ironically, I have just started the chapter re sleep and insomnia. I think you lot wrote it without telling me. :hi5:

I am coming round to the mindset that if I can't sleep not to get stressed about it but to just accept it and relax. I will try some more of the suggestions you lot have put forward. :hug:
jrc
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 15th, 2017, 7:42 am

I'm sorry, but I think it's absolutely bonkers to use Fitbits or whatever to measure your sleep .......... doing that sort of thing is bound to raise your stress levels!

I have no idea how long I sleep .... I usually wake once or twice during the night ... sometimes I go straight back to sleep, sometimes it can take a while ... this morning I woke around 4 and went to the bathroom, looked out of the window to see if the deer was there again (it wasn't) and got back into bed and went back to sleep until OH's alarm went off. I have no idea how long I slept ... I just know that I did sleep and now I'm awake.

We spend too much time worrying about things that don't need worrying about ....... crazy! :rolleyes:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » June 15th, 2017, 7:53 am

I slept like a log last night after switching my back breaking sofa bed for the floor and loads of pillows. It helped having a belly full of loveliness in the form of veggie curry. And it was nice not having to be smothered in bed linen. Just me and my lightweight pj's, window open, I was well away!
I miss my cats
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » June 15th, 2017, 9:09 am

I woke up at 0230 and heard the start of the dawn chorus at 0345.
I was asleep when J got up at 0630 though...
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Catherine » June 15th, 2017, 11:00 am

WWordsworth wrote:I woke up at 0230 and heard the start of the dawn chorus at 0345.

Glorious isn't it
Catherine
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » June 15th, 2017, 11:45 am

it was quite lovely
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 15th, 2017, 11:54 am

I often listen to it ....... I don't count it as being awake ...... it's glorious and so restful :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Catherine » June 15th, 2017, 12:40 pm

This time of year at that time in the morning I often sit on my balcony, shut my eyes and just listen. Its so beautiful.
Catherine
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 12th, 2017, 1:36 am

Now for at least a fortnight I am been struggling to get off to sleep and then I find myself waking after a couple of hours, like now. I am truly sick of it now. It is probably over anxious, worrying about health, uncomfortable sofa bed.....thing is last night i had zero sleep, not a wink, but didn't feel tired during the day. Thought having missed a whole night of sleep I would be log like tonight but no.
I miss my cats
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby uschi » July 12th, 2017, 6:33 am

Good advice all round.

One thing one can try is to tell oneself a good night story of sorts. Whether you fill a garden with lovely things, paint an imaginary mandala or build up a little community, whether it is a small soap opera or a love story or whatever ... as long as it is pleasantly restful and has nothing to do with real life.
Do it every time you go to sleep, even if falling asleep first thing isn't difficult for you. It will establish a routine and if you wake up at night you can get back into that routine. Even if you won't fall asleep, at least you won't be fretting and getting your rest anyway.

Doesn't work 100%, of course, but it does help.
uschi
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 12th, 2017, 7:22 am

I am on day three of a bout of insomnia. I may burst into tears unexpectedly at some point due to exhaustion... I am going to Paris tomorrow, so I hope I manage to sleep tonight. I suppose I can have a lie in in Paris on Friday.

I do the story thing, Uschi. Not the fiction that I write down. It has to be something not too brain-engaging. This helps me if my problem is thinking about stuff that worries me - by stopping me from thinking about stuff that worries me.

Reminds me though I must get some one a night Nytol to take with me. I have been overdoing it (to not much avail) this week though.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 12th, 2017, 7:26 am

I will try the story idea. Hope it may give some relief. At around 4am it started getting light outside. I did nod off for an hour. Woke at around 6am. Awake for an hour, sleep until 8am. I end up laying here watching Jeremy Kyle which adds to the depressing situation. But there really is nothing else on TV during the night. I can't read as my eyes are so tired I can't see properly!
I miss my cats
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 12th, 2017, 8:01 am

I don't have time to read back, but did anybody else see the article about eating 2 kiwi fruit an hour before bed ? . They are apparently rich in the chemicals that induce sleep (melatonin/serotonin ???) This was research carried out in Japan

I also find that getting into a routine helps too .. much against all the experts' advice, I do watch tv in bed for a couple of hours at night. I am ready to get horizontal by 9 pm and take the weight off my back-side .. I have a memory foam mattress topper and so my bed is very comfortable. By 11 pm I am usually ready to settle down .
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 12th, 2017, 8:50 am

Do not watch Jeremy Kyle, Tezza. it's bad for your soul ;)

My cats didn't help last night. Basil went ballistic at about 11.30. He went mountain climbing in the spare room and then started playing with a belt that was hanging on the outside of my bedroom door.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby uschi » July 12th, 2017, 10:28 am

Rachel, I hope that you'll be able to sleep well soon!!! :hug:

My good night stories aren't anything that I'd tell to anyone else. They are just to send me to sleep and entirely suited to my temperament and the mood I need to get me to sleep.

If something like the Archers sends you to sleep, fine, if it's My Little Pony and its pals, then fine. And if it's blood and gore, fine, too.

I can come off the computer or the TV and go to sleep straight away. Worries can sometimes keep me awake, but on the whole I try to keep them out of my bedroom.
uschi
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 12th, 2017, 11:00 am

It's hard at the moment for me. My cats used to help me sleep at night. All the purring around my head, you can't beat it. The road I am on is dead busy, lots of traffic, buses, people in general. Touch wood no loud music so far and the house i am in which is split into four bedsits is detached so as long as all four of us respect each other, which so far we all are, all should be good in that respect. I just got all excited seeing the letting agent deliver a single bed to my new neighbour downstairs so I rang them and asked if I could have one too. No, was the reply, as he only had a sofa whereas mine is a sofa bed. Although I cannot sleep on it as a bed. I can bring a bed in if I like but the sofa has to stay! Oh well, worth a try!
I miss my cats
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 12th, 2017, 11:35 am

I have noticed that on the days I look after my GD that I am genuinely tired in a nice way at the end of the day and have no trouble getting to sleep. Thus I think that getting enough exercise is probably an important factor in aiding good sleep. I already realise that unwinding and trying to clear the mind is important - which is why things like counting sheep or making up stories are useful, they concentrate the mind to the now and eliminate all the other things in our minds. A couple of dabs of lavender oil on the pillow in addition really does seem to help.

I dislike sleeping with ear plugs but people I know who don't mind find them really helpful. I do use an eye mask when I work nightshifts as the room is too light otherwise, It is worth trying to keep the room dark and not to watch TV or look at screens for at least an hour before sleep. If you have a bath, a nice relaxing soak can be good too.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 12th, 2017, 11:50 am

Lack of activity is definitely a contributing factor for me. I try to walk each day but it's not enough.
Earplugs give me a sense of vulnerability when sleeping in the house alone.
I miss my cats
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 12th, 2017, 12:52 pm

I never have a problem getting to sleep but sometimes on these very hot nights with the windows all wide open I get woken up by an owl or some other sound it sometimes takes me a while to get back to sleep again. I really need a very dark room and I'm afraid our beloved kitty has never ever been allowed in our room or even up on our floor.
Mr R sleeps less well but if he wakes up he plugs himself into his Kindle and listens to improving speech programmes which usually send him back to sleep before their end.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Luca » July 13th, 2017, 4:40 pm

Tezza - Do you like bananas? I read an article today in a health magazine, Top Santé, where they say banana tea at bedtime is an excellent sleep inducer and there are plenty of websites out there that support the fact.

Chop ends of the banana and discard. Halve the fruit lengthwise with skin on and cover in boiling water. Bring to boil and simmer for 5 mins and serve. Cinnamon powder added to taste. It is apparently rich in trytophan which helps you sleep. Insomnia is very debilitating and I too at times suffer from it so I'll be giving it a shot.
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 13th, 2017, 6:18 pm

I adore bananas so will definitely be giving banana tea a go! Sounds interesting and tasty. Do let us know how you get on Luca.
I miss my cats
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 13th, 2017, 6:36 pm

I have had a banana every night before bed for as long as I can remember. Trouble is now I am so used to doing this I find it difficult to sleep if I can't get one.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Luca » July 13th, 2017, 7:10 pm

:tu:
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 14th, 2017, 4:03 pm

I think it was Ronald Reagan's wife Nancy who had (only half) a banana every night .. not only to help her sleep, but also for the potassium. Note I said half a banana ...Nancy was very conscious of calorific food ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » July 14th, 2017, 4:08 pm

I wonder if dried bananas are as effective?
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 14th, 2017, 7:49 pm

Last night after a 4 night spree of insomnia I was kept awake by an outdoors Fete Nationale bal opposite my hotel. It went on until 3.30am :(

Note to self and anyone else: beware of cheap Eurostar tickets that happen to be on July 13th (or at least check out where all the Firemen's Balls are held!)

I take two magnesium tablets before bed. Bananas have that in them too? When I was in Dublin there was an exhibition about future foods that included tryptophan rich milk. (It's in my 100 Things to Know about Food book too.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 14th, 2017, 9:03 pm

I read once that one banana a day is too much potassium. If it helps me sleep am willing to take the risk.
I miss my cats
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 16th, 2017, 11:15 pm

Here we go a-bloomin-gain.
Utterly sick of it now.
I miss my cats
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 17th, 2017, 8:28 am

Unfortunately Tezza the more it bothers you the worse it gets. I'm pretty sure if you had a comfortable bed it would help - along with the banana of course.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 17th, 2017, 8:39 am

I have a beautiful Queen's size ornate bed frame in storage. Determined to get it back soon with a little help. Then all I need is a good mattress and then will be well away.
I miss my cats
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 18th, 2017, 10:36 am

I had a 3.30am-er again last night :( warm milk and something to eat - and possibly exhaustion - seemed to sort it out. (Ready-made) caramel crepes at 3am...!)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 18th, 2017, 10:54 am

Caramel crepes sound delightful! I slept well last night, on the floor! I had plenty of cushions around me and it did my back the world of good!
I miss my cats
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 18th, 2017, 10:56 am

That's good, Tezza :)
Herbidacious
Registered

Next

Return to The Coffee Shop