CHATTERBOX LXXVII Nathaniel

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: CHATTERBOX LXXVII Nathaniel

Postby icelesley » August 9th, 2017, 2:49 pm

HEATING :scared: :scared: It's not so hot here but not so cold for the heating to be on. Mind you when I get home the beasts might beg to differ, they would have the heating on if it was 35C :lol: :lol:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby icelesley » August 9th, 2017, 2:51 pm

I am going to start packing up now so I can get a quick getaway when the apprentices have gone :D Have a lovely dry warm evening everyone, see you all tomorrow :wave: :wave: :wave:
icelesley
Registered

Postby Luca » August 9th, 2017, 2:52 pm

Have a good evening icelesley.
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby cyprusmoira » August 9th, 2017, 3:11 pm

icelesley wrote: they would have the heating on if it was 35C

Send them here, it was that at lunch time, luckily the predicted 40 C has not arrived.
Chicken Pilau for supper.

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby smitch » August 9th, 2017, 3:22 pm

Our thermostat is set to 20 and the heating came on last night. I really feel the cold, even with loads of layers so I needed it!
smitch
Registered

Postby Busybee » August 9th, 2017, 3:22 pm

I think you Londoners are getting the deluge we had yesterday, it never stopped for 36 hours, and yes I put the heating on. I was hosting a WI committee meeting and I couldn't have the ladies shivering :rolleyes:

Today, blue skies and fluffies........

Can't help re the waxed jackets as they get worn til they have disintegrated, can DD get hers rewaxed?

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Luca » August 9th, 2017, 4:30 pm

It is still raining Busybee. I think you are correct. Might have to build an ark soon or blow up the dinghy. ;)
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby Seatallan » August 9th, 2017, 5:03 pm

Still raining here too. Never mind- the garden won't be sad for a good soaking. It isn't really cold but all that rain makes you feel chilly somehow.

Suffs- hope you can get something sorted re your knee soon. If not, I'll take you to the vet myself. :D :hug:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 9th, 2017, 5:20 pm

The rain has stopped here at last and the sun has made an appearance shining quite warmly through the window! It is supposed to be fine now until at least Friday I think. I have decided to go to Exeter for the day tomorrow. The bookcase is up - a bit wobbly but it holds the things I wanted it to and there is room left for more. It was a pig to build and I am leaving any more sorting things out until later in the week. It sounds silly but it is a real weight off my mind to have worked out how to rearrange this room.

Hebe looks very happy!

Hope you don't have to resort to the vet Suffs .. why is nothing easy?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » August 9th, 2017, 5:27 pm

It has been a lovely day here.... jus' sayin'....
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby liketocook » August 9th, 2017, 5:28 pm

Well for a change the Ayrshire Coast seems to have been drier than many places today, mainly sunny, a bit breezy though odd spells of cloud.
I spent most of the afternoon in the garden, didn't need a cardi though it's getting cooler now as the temperatures are definitely beginning to dip in the evening.
I hope everyone else is snug and dry :) That said forecast is mixed for tomorrow and wet on Friday. :(
liketocook
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 9th, 2017, 5:34 pm

I need it to be a nice dry, warmish day on Saturday as we are going to the West Dean Chilli Festival ...(fingers crossed smiley) :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 9th, 2017, 5:53 pm

Busybee wrote: ... Can't help re the waxed jackets as they get worn til they have disintegrated, can DD get hers rewaxed?

BB

Re-waxing spray is on its way to her as we speak ... the problems is that where she lives in the middle of Ipswich that sort of thing isn't found easily ... it's more the sort of stuff stocked by the agricultural merchants and saddlery places. We'll probably meet up at the weekend and see what can be found. The thing is that the more inexpensive ones are usually men's, or at least unisex, but she is so slim that they will drown her ... her work tee-shirts are 'boys' size 13 year old ... but if we can find a place that does waxed jackets for teenagers we may get a good deal 'cos no VAT ;)
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Catherine » August 9th, 2017, 5:53 pm

I've actually had my electric blanket on through the night for the past week
Catherine
Registered

Postby Catherine » August 9th, 2017, 6:14 pm

I always get really had headaches in this weather. The pins and bolts in my head feel really tight and painful. I'm grumpy :(
Catherine
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 9th, 2017, 6:24 pm

Going rusty Catherine? ;) :hug:
DD once had a boyfriend who had a large titanium plate in his skull due to a bad head injury .......... I used to knit him woolly hats 'cos his head got so very cold in the winter ... that used to give him really bad headaches :(
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » August 9th, 2017, 6:28 pm

Our heating has been on all day. OH is wrapped up in a blanket. :(
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Luca » August 9th, 2017, 7:20 pm

Catherine wrote:I always get really had headaches in this weather. The pins and bolts in my head feel really tight and painful. I'm grumpy :(

You weren't yesterday. Give yourself a break. Will thump you if grumpy. 8-) As we discussed yesterday pins and bolts at airports..... Well that makes me grumpy. Point them to the right place and they don't get it.
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby Catherine » August 9th, 2017, 7:28 pm

Luca wrote:You weren't yesterday. Give yourself a break. Will thump you if grumpy

The weather wasn't affecting it yesterday. If we were not in such a rush at the airport it would have been quite funny. Bet they thought they were letting Frankenstein's monster through lol
Catherine
Registered

Postby Busybee » August 9th, 2017, 7:42 pm

suffolk wrote:
Busybee wrote: ... Can't help re the waxed jackets as they get worn til they have disintegrated, can DD get hers rewaxed?

BB

Re-waxing spray is on its way to her as we speak ... the problems is that where she lives in the middle of Ipswich that sort of thing isn't found easily ... it's more the sort of stuff stocked by the agricultural merchants and saddlery places. We'll probably meet up at the weekend and see what can be found. The thing is that the more inexpensive ones are usually men's, or at least unisex, but she is so slim that they will drown her ... her work tee-shirts are 'boys' size 13 year old ... but if we can find a place that does waxed jackets for teenagers we may get a good deal 'cos no VAT ;)

They may be expensive but a Barbour will see her right for years, I'm still wearing mine and it's at least 30 years old although it has been rewaxed at least a couple of times. we have a Barbour outlet within driving distance, is there anything like it local to Ipswich? Barbour seem to be quite trendy now and are stocked all over the place. They do children's sizes, and even have Barbour coats for dogs although Archie won't wear any coat regardless of the label!

If she uses it for work can she offset the purchase against her tax?

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 9th, 2017, 8:19 pm

suffolk wrote:Re-waxing spray is on its way to her as we speak ... the problems is that where she lives in the middle of Ipswich that sort of thing isn't found easily

Suffs, try Trespass Clothing ... I got waterproof wash from there, they are an outdoor clothing chain and there is one in Ipswich ...

I got my waxed jacket from John Lewis's own range iirc
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby FoodMary » August 9th, 2017, 9:32 pm

Funny old weather here - has been changing between tipping down - looming black clouds and sunshine. I really must get another Mac before Autumn as I have a fifteen year old long black Jaeger which has done me proud but now is rather tatty and a really waterproof but not very pretty cheapy in the car.

My family are back from Portugal this weekend. They always used to drive to southern France but since Ian's MND has got worse they are flying. I think I may pop off to Lanzarote to my sister later in the year - too hot there at the moment but I must make the effort as she has not been at all well recently.

My head is ringing with numbers as I have been doing my annual financial accounts. I know it has to be done but I hate it. A friend joked and said I should have an account for Lulu. I won't, of course, but I bet it would shock me if I saw in black and white how much I have spent on food, cat milk and Vets bills!

Night, night all and pleasant dreams.

Mary J
I even dream about food!
FoodMary
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 10th, 2017, 5:08 am

Good Morning Wild Ones
FoodMary wrote: how much I have spent on food, cat milk and Vets bills!
, Deb always seems to be buying cat / dog food.
Nothing special planned for today although I do have to buy food for humans ;)

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 10th, 2017, 6:23 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
OH is at work ... I'm heading for the shower ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 10th, 2017, 6:41 am

Morning all.
It's been busy here this week. Getting to know some neighbours, a very useful GP appointment, visits from family most days, collected quite a few much needed items from storage and I seem to have got my cooking mojo back. At last!
The weather has seemed to brightened up a bit here today after the last two days of almost constant rain. Although I could ditch the flip flops for my newly reclaimed running shoes my feet still got wet and I just can't warm them up! Today a brisk stroll to my nearest post office, mushroom soup with mash dolloped in for lunch and egg mayonnaise sandwiches for dinner. And copious cups of loose leaf brewed Earl Grey tea made in my new beautiful glass tea pot with some lemon slices added. So much tastier than tea bags.
Have fun everyone!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby icelesley » August 10th, 2017, 7:13 am

Good Morning Wild Ones. It has stopped raining and I can see a glimmer of sunshine creeping through the dirty office windows. I don't suppose there is any point in having them cleaned now we are going :rolleyes:
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 10th, 2017, 7:51 am

That sounds positive Tezza :) :tu:
Ice ... a glimmer of sunshine is always good 8-)
I've been quite productive already this morning ... there's a load in the washing machine, a pair of semi-best linen trousers have been flattened with that hot thing, and the kitchen has had a good wipe down with a hot soapy cloth followed by a bit of a bleach ... now I'm having my second :mug: and checking up on you lot :D
In a little while I'll make some pastry and leave it to rest while I head up to the farm shop for eggs ... we've run out!!! :shock:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 10th, 2017, 7:55 am

Back from buying food for us, not cats and dogs. I now have a gammon joint simmering on the hob, beans are soaking before being made into bean salad, I shall use the gammon stock for the final cook.
I returned via the Postal Agency, I had to collect a couple of packages for Deb, some DMC threads and a pack of mixed tapestry needles. We are getting very crafty here :D

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 10th, 2017, 8:36 am

Pastry made and in the fridge resting ... Moira, gammon joint sounds very tempting ... it might be an idea for tomorrow ............. I shall see what the farm shop have got .....
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby aero280 » August 10th, 2017, 8:52 am

FoodMary wrote:.

Where did you get the wool Suffs? I've been after some for ages - wonder if I can find some on line if nowhere else.

Just seen this. The wool shop on the High Street in the village seems to be well known for supplying all sorts of wool and knitting stuff

https://www.mavis-crafts.com/yarns
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Ratatouille » August 10th, 2017, 8:54 am

Morning everyone :wave:

We are back on line - but for how long only the gods know :lol: Even the nearest weather station at Carpentras has been ynable to operate for 36 hours. :lol: :lol: A neighbour went to the supermarket yesterday evening and couldn't buy anything because none of the scanner was working and of course the check out operators can't add up or know the prices.

We watched a bit if the athletics last night and it was like the start of The Flood We then watched the Jackie DVD which was a present. All except GS thought it excellent.

The family are risking going to the big pool at St Sat which Suffs knows. Although the Meteo promised it hasn't appeared as yet.

Glad to see you sounding so positive Tezza

Suffs I have a Barbour which I never wear but I think it is size 14. If it is any use I'll happily send it if you pay the postage. I can find out how much that will be.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby liketocook » August 10th, 2017, 8:56 am

Good morning everyone,
Must be the day for gammon as I'm having gammon steak for dinner. I'll make some leek & parsley sauce to go with it :chops: and there are runner beans from the garden which will go nicely :) .
It's overcast this morning and rain due in tonight, hopefully I might get some gardening done this afternoon, if not there is a wad paperwork I can tackle or I could fire up the hot clothes pressing thing (or not ;) I'm spoiled for choice really :lol:
liketocook
Registered

Postby icelesley » August 10th, 2017, 9:54 am

I am so looking forward to being at home, gardening cooking shopping and chores done at a pace to suit no in a mad rush over a two day weekend ;)
icelesley
Registered

Postby mogatogs » August 10th, 2017, 11:09 am

Afternoon,

snap we too are having gammon steak for supper, from a fantastic butcher in Buxton, he is well worth the 20 minute drive, bit pricey but he farms/raises own stock etc, not sure yet what will go with it possibly leeks in a cream sauce, new pots for me OH will want chips :rolleyes: will see what happens closer to supper.

Weather sunny and fresh, going to do some unsupervised gardening before OH gets back :scared:

Time for :mug:

Have a good day :hug:
mogatogs
Registered

Postby FoodMary » August 10th, 2017, 11:20 am

I am on my onio for three weeks as both of my neighbours have gone off on hols. David just for 1 week with family and Carol and Nigel for 3 weeks in Malta - lucky ducks. I now have two cats to look after and feed but daren't have them both together in my flat as Molly (my neighbour's cat) scares the living daylights out of poor Lulu - she really is a timid little soul and slides under the bed as soon as a strange voice is heard. Once she gets to know you she has the loudest purr and loves to wrap herself around any available legs.

My lovely Zoe (a student) has been to do my hard cleaning. She comes twice a week as I can't get down to some of it without pain. The hip replacements are wonderful but they don't like the gymnastics!!!

Make the most of it Ice - no rush!!

Mary J
I even dream about food!
FoodMary
Registered

Postby Gruney » August 10th, 2017, 11:24 am

My triumph was rather short lived.

The stitching on the neck strap of my long apron had come apart. I found a needle and some cotton - I remembered you have to lick the end of the cotton before you try to locate the needle's eye - and tied a good few knots a sailor would have been proud of.

I inserted the strap into the "pocket" on the apron, and pushed and pulled the needle a good few times. finishing off with a few more knots. I was proud of myself.

I tried it on.

I'd stitched one of the waist straps in, instead of the neck strap :ugeek:
Gruney
Registered

Postby icelesley » August 10th, 2017, 11:34 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: sorry Gruney, I thought there was only me did things like that :oops:

Just back from lunch, it is quite pleasant out there at the moment :tu:
icelesley
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 10th, 2017, 11:42 am

Gruney, been there, done that :(

moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 10th, 2017, 11:44 am

Gruney ... proud of you :tu: :lol:

Rats :hug: you have a PM

I bought gammon steaks for tomorrow ... we'll have them with broad beans and parsley sauce ... plenty of broad beans in the freezer. :chops:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 10th, 2017, 11:46 am

runner beans and sweet peas.jpg
This afternoon I will be mostly freezing runner beans
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Gruney » August 10th, 2017, 11:52 am

Last night, I made a spicy runner bean dish - not quite a curry, but very tasty.
Gruney
Registered

Postby Busybee » August 10th, 2017, 11:55 am

Gruney wrote:Last night, I made a spicy runner bean dish - not quite a curry, but very tasty.

That sounds interesting Gruney, do you have the recipe?

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » August 10th, 2017, 12:10 pm

Madhur's Gujerati green beans is good.
Works well with previously frozen beans too.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Gruney » August 10th, 2017, 12:22 pm

Busybee wrote:That sounds interesting Gruney, do you have the recipe?

Here it is - I found it on the internet:-

3 tbsp ghee or olive oil
2 small or 1 large onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 small knob of ginger, finely chopped
2 green chillies (or to taste), finely chopped
1 tsp turmeric
500g green beans, topped, tailed and sliced into 1 cm pieces
1 tsp salt
½ tsp garam masala

Sauté the onion in the ghee or oil until starting to brown at the edges. Add the garlic and ginger and fry for a minute until aromatic.
Stir in the chillies, turmeric and salt and stir fry for a few seconds and add the beans. Stir the beans around in the pan until everything is well mixed.
Add a little water, stir and cover pan. Cook over low-medium heat for about 15-20 minutes, stirring regularly until the beans are tender. Add a little more water during this time if required to prevent the food sticking to the bottom of the pan.
Stir in the garam masala, cook for a few seconds more and serve.
Gruney
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 10th, 2017, 12:33 pm

Grune. I was once hemmng a pair of trousers for Mr R. They were on my lap and I carefully stitched them on to my own trousers.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Busybee » August 10th, 2017, 12:47 pm

Thanks Gruney, sounds delish!

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby icelesley » August 10th, 2017, 1:20 pm

I am back, we have just had a fire drill, thank goodness it wasn't yesterday when it was hissing down. :rolleyes:
icelesley
Registered

Postby aero280 » August 10th, 2017, 1:43 pm

Gruney wrote:My triumph was rather short lived.

The stitching on the neck strap of my long apron had come apart. I found a needle and some cotton - I remembered you have to lick the end of the cotton before you try to locate the needle's eye - and tied a good few knots a sailor would have been proud of.

I inserted the strap into the "pocket" on the apron, and pushed and pulled the needle a good few times. finishing off with a few more knots. I was proud of myself.

I tried it on.

I'd stitched one of the waist straps in, instead of the neck strap :ugeek:

Go back to your youth! Staple it all together, then elastoplast over the sharp bits.... :D
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby StokeySue » August 10th, 2017, 2:00 pm

I have a lovely apron from Seasalt
The neck strap cunningly adapts in length having one button and several button holes
It mildly annoyed me for a whole three months that I really needed one more button hole for perfect adjustment
Then :idea: I didn't need to make another hole, just relocate the button, much easier!

It's like when it took me and Dad rather a long time to work out why the ice cubes disappeared from his new freezer - it was frost free and the fan that evaporates the unwanted frost of course removed the ice too. In case you've wondered that's why ice trays come with lids now! But for two professional scientist,s, it took us an embarrassingly long time to crack it :oops: :oops: :lol:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » August 10th, 2017, 2:24 pm

Afternoon all,

Just done the same as Suffs, freezer now groaning with runners, will try that recipe for a change, thank you. Have also started on pickled cucumbers/cucamelons. 90 cucamelons filled half a litre kilner jar, thats the first and last time I will grow them, cues are much less labour intensive.

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop