CHATTERBOX LXXVII Nathaniel

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: CHATTERBOX LXXVII Nathaniel

Postby slimpersoninside » August 10th, 2017, 2:28 pm

I grew cucamelons last year and didn't like them :lol: :lol: :lol: !
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » August 10th, 2017, 2:30 pm

We didnt like them raw either, looked for recipes and all it suggested was pickle them, and as we like pickled cucumbers I have given it a go, will report back in 6 weeeks when they have matured a bit!

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby Gruney » August 10th, 2017, 2:36 pm

aero280 wrote:Go back to your youth! Staple it all together, then elastoplast over the sharp bits.

I like to think I'm a modern man :D
Gruney
Registered

Postby icelesley » August 10th, 2017, 2:44 pm

StokeySue wrote:I have a lovely apron from Seasalt
The neck strap cunningly adapts in length having one button and several button holes
It mildly annoyed me for a whole three months that I really needed one more button hole for perfect adjustment
Then :idea: I didn't need to make another hole, just relocate the button, much easier!

It's like when it took me and Dad rather a long time to work out why the ice cubes disappeared from his new freezer - it was frost free and the fan that evaporates the unwanted frost of course removed the ice too. In case you've wondered that's why ice trays come with lids now! But for two professional scientist,s, it took us an embarrassingly long time to crack it :oops: :oops: :lol:

ooo, I have a frost free freezer and it does ice cubes in a tray as normal then I put them in a plastic bag ready to use.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby icelesley » August 10th, 2017, 2:55 pm

Time for me to pack up and get ready to go home. The sun is still out and the sky id now clear blue :tu: Have a lovely evening everyone, see you all tomorrow :wave: :wave: :wave:
icelesley
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 10th, 2017, 3:33 pm

I was browsing Lidl's online leaflet, they are having one of their British/Irish weeks. One special is British style yoghurt, I suppose that it makes a change from Greek yoghurt.
Ham salad for supper.

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 10th, 2017, 5:25 pm

icelesley wrote:ooo, I have a frost free freezer and it does ice cubes in a tray as normal then I put them in a plastic bag ready to use.

That is the alternative of course :D
Whatever, leaving them in an open tray leads to sublimation (lovely word) means going straight from solid to vapour
And then disappearing :?

It did take about 2 or 3 weeks for Dad's ice to vanish
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Catherine » August 10th, 2017, 10:40 pm

Runner bean chutney is great for a glut. My brother in law has made a few massive kilner jars of the stuff. I love they homegrown cucumbers too. Definitely cost effective as the kids get through huge amounts of them. That said not as many actually make it to the kitchen as they pick and eat at their free will. What with these, and the copious amounts of blackberries and Plums they eat from the track they live on plus the homegrown tomatoes they also decimate and the apples from the next door they are more than reaching their 5 a day minimum target a day. They have done it without trying, I reckon they get about 10
Catherine
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 11th, 2017, 5:15 am

Good Morning Wild Ones. I have never seen cucumelons here which is odd as we have all the usual members of that vegetable family. No runner beans either, it is too hot for them, although there is a vegetable plot up in the mountains where they are grown, Deb salivates each time we pass it

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 11th, 2017, 6:09 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
It's a beautiful morning 8-)
I think Chinch thought she'd given us two cucumber plants and one cucamelon ... But we seem to have 3 cucumber plants :tu:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » August 11th, 2017, 6:16 am

Morning all. I've been to feed the Abbots Langley cat and I've walked the dogs. No swim this morning as the gym is closed for essential maintenance. :td: :td: However I have a physio assessment this morning so it's probably just as well as swimming is still quite painful.

It's nice out but I believe we are promised showers.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby icelesley » August 11th, 2017, 7:03 am

Good Morning Wild Ones. Looks like a beautiful day is in the making, although we will get rain sweeping through around lunchtime if the weather people are correct. It is Friday :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: I am bunking off as soon as possible as this lot still owe me alot of hours and by the heck I am taking them. So food shopping later, hopefully whilst its raining, then home. :D
icelesley
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » August 11th, 2017, 7:07 am

God morning everyone.
I have the day off :D

J has gone to work, I will go to the gym shortly then feet up for the afternoon.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » August 11th, 2017, 7:13 am

I thought I gave you 3 cues and two cucamelons, the cues were in the bigger pots and the cucamelons were too small to pot on, perhaps I forgot to bring the cucamelons, I have a head like a sieve as you well know! Speaking of plants, those borlotti beans, I am expecting to be climbing up them and getting the pot of gold any day soon, but beans????? About 6 pods have formed so far.

Lovely day here, will be out in the garden soon, that rain has made everything grow, including the weeds :lol:

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 11th, 2017, 7:16 am

Goodness, we're up and about this morning aren't we :D
I've got a load of towels on the line and some undies in the wash ... I'll give the bathroom a quick wipe over in a bit and then the day is mine ............ I might faff in the garden when the dew is off the grass ... there's deadheading to be done ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » August 11th, 2017, 7:25 am

I have just given my colleague some tomatoes picked last night, he has eaten half of them already and its only 8.25 :rolleyes:
icelesley
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 11th, 2017, 8:02 am

It's early for me too! Slimming World and a chinwag this morning and then a trip to the tip ... I know how to live :lol: .

Had a really lovely day in Exeter yesterday, I hadn't been there for years. I used to dislike it because ex OH had relatives there but it really is quite vibrant with lots to see and I covered a lot of ground. I was impressed with the way the city is organised for visitors. I took the pretty route home and some of England's finest scenery really was pretty in the early evening light. Doesn't a bit of sun make a difference! I think we have sun here until mid-afternoon today :rolleyes: .

Glad it's not just me who has sewing disasters :) .

My kitchen has a flat roof adjoining a similar one to my neighbour's house. There has just been a noise up there which sounded like 6 men in hobnail boots and I ran upstairs to look through the window and catch whoever it was on my roof :evil:. All that was there was a small ginger cat, by its expression I think there had been another cat as well.

Enjoy the sun while you can! Have a lovely day. :hug:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Seatallan » August 11th, 2017, 8:42 am

EM, glad you enjoyed your Exeter trip. I haven't been there for years either. The last time I was there I was with a group of friends en route to stay with a friend who lived in Cornwall. We got hopelessly lost and drove around Exeter so many times we thought we might as well stop for a bite to eat and an explore. Lovely it was too. :D

Have a good Friday all :wave:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby scullion » August 11th, 2017, 8:59 am

the roman tunnels are a good visit in (under) exeter.
scullion
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 11th, 2017, 9:01 am

Morning everyone :wave:

It is really cool and very windy here and even the GCs are saying they don't fancy the planned trip to the pool so I've treated them to a trip to the Colorado Provencal :
http://www.colorado-provencal.com/
Our two used to love it when they were young but that was way before it was developed.

EM Mr Rats is on his way to the dump as I write. WE seem to have got through rather a lot of bottles this week :oops:
Glad you had a nice day in Exeter. It is a very long time since I was there.

GS did a great job on the bbq last evening and has promised to cut back my lovely ceanothis (SP>) which has got completely frazzled in the heat even though it was watered. I think it will come back. What do you experts think?
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » August 11th, 2017, 9:10 am

Morning all.

It's Spanish week in Leedle here! I like their tapas when we arrive at the caravan on a Friday and it's too wet/cold to bbq. But for tonight, I have made a lamb achari, sag aloo and dal.
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 11th, 2017, 9:25 am

Rats ... here's the RHS advice https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=354 :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » August 11th, 2017, 9:54 am

I am packing up now. Have a good weekend everyone, I hope the weather is good for you. See you Monday :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 11th, 2017, 9:56 am

:wave:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 11th, 2017, 10:30 am

This lap top is playing up, I hope that it nothing serious as Cyprus is closed next week for a major holiday.

The dish washer decided to die on us yesterday evening, it was full of oily bowls. Luckily Effie comes on Friday, she used one of her many contacts to find us an engineer, he lives in the next village.
Some of you may remember that we had trouble with a leaky kitchen ceiling during the winter rains. The dishwasher problem was caused by the fact the wall is still damp, even in this heat. We shall contacting the landlord yet again about the roof. I know that nothing will be done in August but the roof can be fixed in September. I think that the wall cupboard will need to be removed

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 11th, 2017, 10:34 am

I suppose it's better you found out now rather than in the winter Moira ... :rolleyes:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 11th, 2017, 10:37 am

I suppose it's better you found out now rather than in the winter Moira ... :rolleyes:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 11th, 2017, 10:48 am

Right, that's lunch sorted ... a tired leek from the bottom of the salad drawer, a couple of potatoes and some home made chicken stock, chopped, simmered and whizzed ... when it's lunchtime I'll add a dollop of creme fraiche :chef:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » August 11th, 2017, 5:32 pm

Gosh we have been quiet today.

I have been making the Hairy Bikers pan rustica.
I didn't read the recipe properly so I set the starter dough going at about 8.30 today then noticed you have to leave it 24 hours.
Humph

I left it for about 8 hours, did all the other bits with it and it's just gone in the oven.
I am going out at 7pm, J might not be home by then, so let's hope it bakes in time.

Recipe says 25-30 mins.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 11th, 2017, 5:45 pm

I've got a friend coming for a Saturday night sleepover
So been out shopping, went to two butchers to get the meat
Then went down to the Chinese store, market, & the Turkish Food Centre to get the bits and bobs
Which could be seen as excessive, but it was really a nice walk with a purpose!
Still need to go to the ordinary supermarket tomorrow, but going to a supermarket in a Jewish area on a Friday can be a tad frustrating, at least in summer (in winter I can sneak in after sunset)

Had a lovely falafel wrap from a stall in the market washed down with a watermelon + ginger + lemon juice, total cost £3.50
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 11th, 2017, 5:55 pm

That falafel and drink meal sounds delicious Sue! Good price too!
I am well on top of my housework this weekend in preparation for my Dad's visit Sunday morning. He hasn't been to my new bedsit before and I haven't seen him in months as he lives up north with his wife and JRT on a narrow boat and is traveling down to Essex to see his brother and is coming here to see me, possibly a pub lunch and collect the painting I have organised for a combined belated birthday and early Christmas present of his and his Wife's JRT. I can't wait to see him. I thought I would get his favourite digestives in but I do have an urge to prepare something with them from me! I could spend tomorrow relaxing, researching, creating, or I could just put the suggestives on a plate Sunday and spend tomorrow having a swim.
Have a lovely evening!
Happy Halloween......whoo
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby liketocook » August 11th, 2017, 6:14 pm

Good evening everyone,
Through a combination of meds, will power and the support of my lovely hair dresser I've been thoroughly shorn :D , I've gone from thick bushy hair halfway down my back to a sleek, jawline bob. She took a whopping 2lb 7ozs of hair off of it (she got the junior to weigh it!) :oops: and suffice to say I left a very good tip as she only charged for a standard dry cut despite the time and effort. I feel and look like a different person :D
I'm off to my friends' in the country for a wee overnight tomorrow, she making fish "tapas" so I've been asked to make trout pate. The trout has been poached and once cooled a bit I'll whack it in the blender with the other ingredients so easy peasy. I've got some nice mini chilli oatcakes to go with it. I'm fair looking forward to staying over as the chat is always good and they are very welcoming hosts. I must remember to take some treats for their pooch or she will never forgive me!

I treated myself to some McCain oven chips (one of my guilty pleasures) so it will be something to go with that later for dinner. I tend to make my own wedges but have a real soft spot for these :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » August 11th, 2017, 7:00 pm

Just got back home after an awful journey home....

Had a fab time, supper is on, so will report back later, visitors at lunchtime tomorrow so will tell all later.....

Missed you all terribly !!!!!! 8-)
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 11th, 2017, 7:02 pm

LTC we had those tonight with moules!!!

Isn't it wonderful when your hair feels just right. No Pictures??

PS Got a bit worried about the wee stay overnight because sounded as if you were spending the whole night on the loo :oops: :oops:
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby liketocook » August 11th, 2017, 7:17 pm

Ratatouille wrote:LTC we had those tonight with moules!!!

Isn't it wonderful when your hair feels just right. No Pictures??

PS Got a bit worried about the wee stay overnight because sounded as if you were spending the whole night on the loo :oops: :oops:

No pictures .... I don't really do photos unless accidental or lots of wine involved. ;)
Re the "wee" sorry I tend to forget it has more than one meaning ............ :lol: :lol:
liketocook
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 11th, 2017, 7:32 pm

All sounds good LTC :hi5: :hi5: :hi5:
Just had a long phone chat with my friend with MND, going down for an overnight soon, have offered to take a Syrian meze as that's where she, her partner, and I all met
Life is hard
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby FoodMary » August 11th, 2017, 7:51 pm

In the last few months I have been learning to play Cribbage, now I play twice a week. Only eight of us - two tables of four plus a bottle of wine and some home made cakes or cookies. At first I was rubbish at it but today my partner and I did really well so we are definitely getting better.

I have a huge ham hock cooking in the slow cooker.

Sorry about your friend Stokey, my son has the same problem as I think I have mentioned before. I find it amazing that they cope so well and try to carry on as normally as possible.

Mary J
I even dream about food!
FoodMary
Registered

Postby liketocook » August 11th, 2017, 8:03 pm

Sue :hug: :hug: to your friend's son. Sounds like a visit from you will be just the ticket.
Mary J - ditto for your son. I know from your posts he is trying to make the best of it :hug: :hug:
liketocook
Registered

Postby Cheezy_Jazzy » August 11th, 2017, 8:19 pm

Evening all :hug:

Glad the working week is over, seems to have been a bit of a long one as I have been working across two departments for a good chunk of this week. Next week is a short week as I have next Friday off :bounce:

Going to a local food festival tomorrow and then I am going to have a baking session as I have an overabundance of farm house butter in my fridge :D
ImageImageImageImage
Cheezy_Jazzy
Registered

Postby Amber » August 11th, 2017, 8:52 pm

so I've treated them to a trip to the Colorado Provencal :
http://www.colorado-provencal.com/

The receptionist at out hotel in Gap,recommended that. Next time... :)

Mr Rats is on his way to the dump as I write. WE seem to have got through rather a lot of bottles this week :oops:

We never did find the bottle 'chute' in St Sat. :rolleyes: :D
Amber
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 12th, 2017, 6:00 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, people have been busy.
One of our neighbours has a pony, he brings it out to graze every morning. It has got loose and is gazing over our side gate. It is communing with Deb at present, she used to have a horse. It will be returned to its usual patch.

Edited to add that Deb phoned Effie, she will phone her grandmother who probably know its owner. Pony is tied to our side gate, it was given a bucket of water but did not need it
Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » August 12th, 2017, 6:39 am

Morning all, up with the lark ! Thanks Scrumpy and Wuzzle !! I have some time before I start on the food for my guests today.....

Our time in Cornwall was lovely, we had a good drive down from Wilts. to Penzance - it took 3.5 hours, the only traffic was on the last bit of the A30 near Penzance. We arrived around 1.45pm and found a FREE spot on the front and had a pint in a seafront pub with seagulls screaming at us. We then walked into Chapel street, Market Jew street, both of which had charm and character. I bought a print of a late 50s/60s Penzance poster for the snug, it will bring back happy memories ! There was an interesting rug/carpet shop and the Egyptian house was worth a gander.

We then went and found our accommodation which was about 15 mins from Penzance down the very narrowest of lanes!!! It was at a working farm. They had just had the last of the potatoes for making McCoys crisps taken away and had planted caulis. in their place. There were 6 dogs running around and Poppy their house cat who spent quite a lot of time on our bed !!!! Room was lovely with a fantastic sea view towards the Minack. We ate at the Buryan Inn (I had seafood platter, Mr. Z. had a steak) which got quite busy with locals and tourists. They had some locals playing accordians, some sort of drum and a wooden board on the ground that was being danced on - great entertainment.

Next morning after a full Monty we drove to some local circles of stones and a high hill that had a fantastic view - almost a full 360 degrees. St. Ives was next, it was absolutely heaving, very pretty but too many people for us. We had a very late crab sarnie (superb except for a bit of slimey rocket garnish) at a pub called the Engine something on the road from St. Ives to Penzance. A quick drive into Mousehole and Newlyn where we sussed out the fish shops for supplies to bring home then back to the B&B for a freshen up before we heated up our pasties, grabbed a bottle of wine, various blankets and other layers and off to the Minack. The weather was warm and sunny, perfect setting for Treasure Island which was very good indeed. The pasties were enormous, hot and very tasty, washed down with some red wine before the performance started. Glad we got there early, we had a good seat on the lower 'deck'. Leaving after the performance was relatively trouble free and the harvest moon shining on the sea from our bedroom window was a very special treat.

Another full Monty except I put my bacon between two slices of toast and tomato sauce for later.... We headed for Newlyn around 10ish and came across a boy who had been found by a tourist (whilst walking her dogs) it seems he had fallen off his pushbike and had hit his head. Various people had arrived, I had called 999, the boy was conscious but his breathing was erratic and one of the people was a Dr. and was assisted by a blood nurse who turned up, a midwife and other locals were directing traffic. The Dr. was concerned that he was deteriorating so an Air ambulance was scrambled. We did all we could and I took the mobile of the nurse so I could find out later about the young lad. We left as we could do no more, his parents and bother had turned up so we went and collected our fish..... one of each.... Megrim, monkfish tail (good sized), Jon Dory, and a Brill from one shop and a large cooked lobster from another.

We started our journey home at 11.45 and the traffic was awful. Very glad to have the bacon sarnie with us, which we shared sat in traffic on the A30 !!!! The biscuits from our room were good too!!!! We finally altered our trip to avoid the A303 around Stonehenge on a Friday evening and came across country at Sparkford to home arriving at 6.25pm!!!!!

Fish had kept cool in the coolbox, glad I took that. Cats were pleased to be let out for a quick run while I prepped supper - Megrim, samphire and some peas and fennel in butter :chops: :chops:

The only other thing that marred the break was I got bitten by a horsefly and my left hand went into balloon mode, went very hot and itchy. I did ice it in the pub whilst eating my crab sarnie and some of the swelling went down over night but yesterday it ballooned up again and was throbbing. I applied antihistamine cream when I got home and overnight and today it is slightly less puffy but still no sign of my knuckles ?

All in all a very nice 2 nights 3 days away but the journey back has reminded me of one of the reasons why we never used to holiday in the UK in August !!!!!
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 12th, 2017, 7:59 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

Sounds like you had a lovely time Zosh ... St Ives is better in September 8-) Hope the young lad is ok soon.

The garden has been full of birds this morning, lots of young blackbirds, bluetits and teenage starlings ......... was a bit like a youthclub out there around the pond ... there's a big red ant nest at the side of the pond so that may well have been the attraction.

I'm off to visit DD in a minute ... loaded with cucumbers and raspberries (she has her own tomato plants) and also with a new woolly jumper and some woolly hats for work ... lots of knitting happened while I was laid up ... it's an ill wind and all that :lol:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 12th, 2017, 8:39 am

Morning all! :wave: . Wow, it looks as though most Wildies are enjoying a very happy weekend!

Your new hair do sounds lovely LTC.

Zosh - Sounds as though you had a great time (apart from the poor boy of course, how fortunate there was a doctor there). I am so glad I went to Exeter on Thursday and not Friday! I came home A30/A303 as the thought of the M5 at commuter time didn't appeal. I had a good run right the way through, even at Stonehenge! First time ever I think. Sorry your trip wasn't so good, I think avoiding travel at the weekend is the big thing if you go away in August.

A successful trip to the tip yesterday, the house and shed are much cleaner. Everyone must be away because usually one has to queue for a very long time at the tip - but I went straight in! Spent the rest of the afternoon on the mammoth clear up of this room. It's looking almost tidy, I am down to those last few bits that are always hardest to deal with .... but today will be the day! Later I must knuckle down to some revision for the test at work. We have them every couple of years to prove that we are still proficient and it's all hydraulics and stuff I really hate and delegate to others who enjoy that kind of thing normally :).
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 12th, 2017, 8:57 am

Morning everyone :wave:

Market and butchers done, flowers changed and family sent off to pool with picnic. We have been invited to friends this evening for supper and a swim in their very nice pool. I think the GCs will be waterlogged by bedtime.

What exciting times people seem to be having.
You obviously had a lovely time in Cornwall but I do hope the lad is OK.
Moira hope the stray pony has been returned to it;s owner.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 12th, 2017, 9:08 am

Good morning
Sunny here with quite a lot of cloud
Hope your cyclist is OK Zosh, good you had a good time otherwise
Can't wait for my trips to happen in September and October
Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 12th, 2017, 9:35 am

I meant to ask if anyone has plans to watch the meteorite shower tonight? We usually do so when we get back from our evening out we are taking rugs and pillows out to the orchard where there os no light. The trouble this year is that the moon is very very bright.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 12th, 2017, 9:44 am

Little chance of seeing the meteorites from here, though it should be a clear night so will have a peek
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » August 12th, 2017, 9:50 am

StokeySue wrote:I've got a friend coming for a Saturday night sleepover

Are you going put on your onesies, eat too much chocolate and sit up all night giggling about boys :lol: :lol:

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 12th, 2017, 10:22 am

We will put on our caftans and sit up too late drinking wine and discussing our ailments and those of our friends and relatives! :lol: :cocktail: :cocktail:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop