CHATTERBOX LXXVII Nathaniel

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: CHATTERBOX LXXVII Nathaniel

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 14th, 2017, 3:37 am

Sorry to hear the sad news. I am sure Rani will be sorely missed. RIP little one. :hug:
I miss my cats
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby mogatogs » July 14th, 2017, 4:37 am

So sorry Sue to read about Rani :hug:
mogatogs
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » July 14th, 2017, 5:15 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, Sue, so sorry to read about Rani :hug:

Moon' Vietnamese Kitchen was excellent, the main course was Shredded Beef with Rice Noodles. There was a small party from the American Embassy in Nicosia, they obviously think that it worth the journey.

Moira :mug:
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 14th, 2017, 6:02 am

Sue, I was so very sorry to hear about dear Rani, you shared so much together. I hope you can have a nice quiet and reflective weekend. :hug: :hug:.

A long night here - I'm off to bed. I do like the sound of the Vietnamese Kitchen :chops: :chops: .
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby smitch » July 14th, 2017, 6:24 am

So sorry, Sue :hug:
smitch
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 14th, 2017, 6:32 am

Good morning all ... :D :mug:
Sue :mug:
Your evening meal sounds lovely Moira. :chops:
We've already had sunshine, rain and now more sunshine.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 14th, 2017, 6:33 am

I know that Rani was a big part of your life - 17 years is a long time with a feline, sounds like you made the right choice for Rani. :hug: :hug: You have loads of love to give, maybe when the time is right you will choose to take another fluffy fiend and can then focus on a new 'project' ? Meanwhile, be good to yourself and remember all the good times you had with Rani. :luv: Feeling for you Sue... :hug: :hug: :hug:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 14th, 2017, 6:52 am

Our evening out last night at Cantina Maya was very good from the food perspective, really tasty dishes with a twist and generally from Cuba, Brazil the Caribbean. What I struggled with was a very hot restaurant, they had to prop the door open a couple of times. Also it was very noisy (people talking) I struggled to hear what our other dinner guests were saying. The lighting was dire for me, I really like to see what I am eating. I don't do subdued lighting with meals. So as much as I enjoyed the food, not sure we will go again.

They are only open Thu. Fri. and Sat evenings and get booked up early. We wondered why, as they seem so popular only open for 3 evenings? Their answer was that they feel that having a full rest. 3 days a week was better policy than opening all week. We wondered about the rent, business rates etc. and all the other services that still cost the same for 3 or 6 days ???
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 14th, 2017, 2:15 pm

Well there you all are, you were hiding behind that pesky seeping robot earlier :D

Thanks for reposes to Rani
I am decluttering her paraphernalia from the kitchen, moving stuff around
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 14th, 2017, 2:33 pm

:bounce: I found you :wave:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » July 14th, 2017, 2:42 pm

Sue sorry to hear about Rani :hug: :hug:

I've had a very quiet day so far, I'm finding the new meds hard to adjust to and I'm finding they are making me feel very odd for a number of hours after taking them. Thankfully I perk up a bit as the day goes on :) .

My son headed off early this morning to drive to Cardiff to see his brother for a few days, so it's back to an empty house for me. He made a lovely dinner for us last night trout with creamed leeks in filo pastry with Ayrshire tatties, spring onions and peas. It's a reall faff to make as he had to fillet and skin the trout first but boy is it :chops: :chops: . Easier dinner for me tonight of left over spuds, pork chop with some runner & broad beans and courgette from the garden. I was hoping to garden for a bit once I finish my :mug: but it looks as though it is about to pour so might need to do some housework instead!
liketocook
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » July 14th, 2017, 2:48 pm

Only just been able to get on here.

Sue I am so very sorry to read your news. Rani was a very beautiful girl and she had a wonderful life with you, I am sure she is with her papa and Rajah, free from pain. :hug: :hug:

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby Seatallan » July 14th, 2017, 4:22 pm

I've only now been able to access the site too... so very sorry Sue... :( :hug: :hug:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 14th, 2017, 5:01 pm

And we are back in the room!...........Hurrah !
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » July 14th, 2017, 8:16 pm

Only just seen your sad news Sue. RIP Rani. Thoughts for you too.
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby miss mouse » July 14th, 2017, 9:16 pm

Poor Rani. PoorSue.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 14th, 2017, 9:52 pm

Night night all ... See you in the morning ... Hopefully ;)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby uschi » July 14th, 2017, 10:01 pm

I only just read that, Sue!
Commiserations and good vibes coming from this part of the world! :hug:
uschi
Registered

Postby Rainbow » July 14th, 2017, 11:07 pm

So sorry to hear that, Sue. I tried to post last night (my time) but WF wasn't there!!
Good vibes coming to you from this part of the world too :hug: :hug:
Rainbow
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » July 15th, 2017, 5:52 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, where did everyone go yesterday? Was it something that I said.
I have just put a gammon on the stove to cook in the hope that I can get cooled down sufficiently to have it for supper. Beans are soaking for Bean Salad, their final simmer will be in the left over ham stock

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 15th, 2017, 6:19 am

Pork N Beans Moira, we had a long conversation about that, where almost every country has their take, but the UK was the only place that just had the beans !!!! Due to a war I believe ????

Mr. Z came home with a sackful of very fresh W'rose bread rustic french rolls, brown, white and some with cheese, they must have still been warm from the oven ! :o What a terrible waste. I spent time distributing them around our cat sitters and fiends, they were all most grateful.

Dull but warm here today, was left in peace until 6.30am so can't complain, slightly darker in the mornings, especially when cloudy, so I get a lie in !!! :tu:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 15th, 2017, 7:28 am

Good morning all :D :mug: :D

Lots of pork and beans eaten in East Anglia Zosh ... usually made with either a pork hock and trotter or a bacon hock, or the bones removed from a flitch of bacon ... when you used to be able to get them.

And then there's the traditional Suffolk Pea Sup ... a cross between a soup and a stew, made with dried marrowfat peas and a bacon knuckle, lots of veg and Suffolk Swimmers (dumplings, originally made with a yeast dough). It won't be long before it's that time of year again ......... :hungry:

OH has been at work over an hour, the washing is in the machine and I'm writing a shopping list ... I'll dash down to W'rose early and come back to do a quick tidy prep supper and get myself ready to sit on the sofa in front of Wimbledon .........
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 15th, 2017, 7:44 am

It's a homely meal isn't it ? Smoked hock I hope ?

Mr. Z mentioned lots of posters about this yesterday while he was out...http://www.bathchillifestival.com/events.php Just wondering whether to pop along tomorrow and have a looksy :shock: :shock:

Well he's now up so better go and light my kettle and have a cupple o cups of :mug: :mug:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 15th, 2017, 7:47 am

Morning all. Fell asleep early last night on cushions on the floor! Best night sleep I have had in ages. So, sofa...you can sod off! The floor is key! Finished my homemade lemonade so must go out for more lemons later and TV guide for next week. Housework done, clothes ironing done, I feel so on top of chores I don't know what else to do! Apart from put my face on and watch Wimbledon of course.
Have a lovely day everyone.
I miss my cats
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 15th, 2017, 7:49 am

There's a lot of 'green' bacon eaten in Suffolk ... but of course the smoked hams of Suffolk are famous and even this little place has a royal warrant http://www.emmettsham.co.uk/index.php?cat=71
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 15th, 2017, 7:51 am

The chilli festival looks good Zosh. I wouldn't be able to resist. You do live in a beautiful part of the world don't you?
I miss my cats
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Gruney » July 15th, 2017, 7:54 am

Suffs - I've found a Slow Cooker recipe for Boston Beans, which calls for a ham hock - approx 450g. I assume this is a cooked joint, and not a pork hock?
Gruney
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 15th, 2017, 8:35 am

Zosherooney wrote:Mr. Z mentioned lots of posters about this yesterday while he was out...http://www.bathchillifestival.com/events.php Just wondering whether to pop along tomorrow and have a looksy

Not this one, but me and the man are going to the one at West Dean in August ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 15th, 2017, 9:16 am

Well Hello again :wave: :wave:

I don't know what on earth happened yesterday. I couldn't get on here at all and then my laptop when bananas and wouldn't respond to anything. The electricity went off the wi-fi and the telephone are still down and I got stung by a scorpion, twice :terrified:

Before anything else. Sue, I am so sorry to hear about Rani I know how much she meant to you. I know everyone's pets are precious but Rani was very specially so :hug: :hug: :hug:

What a thoroughly odd day it was yesterday. Baking hot but with a very very strong Mistral so all the fireworks were cancelled so the whole place didn't go up in smoke. We watched the parade from the Champs Elysees yesterday. As impressive as ever and the added interest of the Donald made it even more fascinating. The French news was very shocked at his remarks to and about Mme Macron :lol:
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 15th, 2017, 9:23 am

Ouch at Scorpion stings! And twice! Bad luck, hope you are okay! I have my lemons, I also got the Daily Mail for the TV guide mainly, but seeing as I have all day to do nothing I might as well read it front to back, something I never do. And watching Saturday Kitchen intensely which is another thing I never have the chance to do. I keep telling myself off for fidgeting and getting distracted. I really need a job! :lol:
I miss my cats
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby liketocook » July 15th, 2017, 9:59 am

Good morning everyone,

It's wet and miserable here and forecast to get pretty windy later - typical weather for the start of the "Glasgow Fair" fortnight! :x

I made chicken stock overnight in the slowcooker so that's now in the pressure cooker with various veg, rice and brown lentils as it is just the weather for a bowl of soup.

Apart from some housework I've no plans for today so will chill with my kindle.
liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 15th, 2017, 10:06 am

Gruney wrote:Suffs - I've found a Slow Cooker recipe for Boston Beans, which calls for a ham hock - approx 450g. I assume this is a cooked joint, and not a pork hock?

Gruney, I'd probably use an uncooked smoked bacon hock for that ... but if all I could get was a cooked 'end of the ham on the bone' piece from the supermarket I'm sure that'd be ok ... but I think you'd get more flavour from the uncooked bacon hock. :chops:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » July 15th, 2017, 10:15 am

The beans have had their first simmer and are awaiting the ham stock. The ham is bit delayed, I turned it over in the stock pot as I was not sure that the top part of the joint was cooked, I shall let it come up to the simmer again then remove the joint. I have found this to be best way of dealing with the locally produced product.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Gruney » July 15th, 2017, 10:15 am

Thanks Suffs - this sublect always puzzles me - the pork hocks I see in Morrisons are just the raw joints,in the meat section - with a lot of fat and skin, and I just got the feeling that wasn't what was intended - especially given the relatively small weight. The recipe also says that the ham hocks usually come vacuum wrapped.

I'm quite anxious to give the recipe a go, so I'll try with the raw ones. It's not going to kill me, either way, is it?
Gruney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 15th, 2017, 10:19 am

I have feeling from other recipes that the hock used for Boston beans is usually cured but raw, as US hams are cooked without the hock. You'll get more flavour from a raw one.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Gruney » July 15th, 2017, 10:22 am

Thanks Sue.
Gruney
Registered

Postby liketocook » July 15th, 2017, 10:55 am

Gruney wrote:Thanks Suffs - this sublect always puzzles me - the pork hocks I see in Morrisons are just the raw joints,in the meat section - with a lot of fat and skin, and I just got the feeling that wasn't what was intended - especially given the relatively small weight. The recipe also says that the ham hocks usually come vacuum wrapped.

I'm quite anxious to give the recipe a go, so I'll try with the raw ones. It's not going to kill me, either way, is it?

I know the ones you mean and they make a tasty roast but not quite the thing for soup - you are looking for a cured or smoked ham/bacon hock. In our Morrison's they are on the butcher's counter or vac-packed and with the bacon.
liketocook
Registered

Postby Gruney » July 15th, 2017, 11:00 am

Ah - I see - I'll investigate. Thanks all for your help.
Gruney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 15th, 2017, 11:07 am

liketocook wrote:I know the ones you mean and they make a tasty roast but not quite the thing for soup - you are looking for a cured or smoked ham/bacon hock. In our Morrison's they are on the butcher's counter or vac-packed and with the bacon.

I didn't know they would roast, I'll give it a go, I assume quite slow roast? I never know what to with the fresh (uncured) ones, as it' the salted ones I use in pea soup etc.
My Morrison's, and my independent butcher, file them the same way.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby liketocook » July 15th, 2017, 11:15 am

StokeySue wrote:
liketocook wrote:I know the ones you mean and they make a tasty roast but not quite the thing for soup - you are looking for a cured or smoked ham/bacon hock. In our Morrison's they are on the butcher's counter or vac-packed and with the bacon.

I didn't know they would roast, I'll give it a go, I assume quite slow roast? I never know what to with the fresh (uncured) ones, as it' the salted ones I use in pea soup etc.
My Morrison's, and my independent butcher, file them the same way.

Yes a really long slow roast is needed. You don't get a huge amount of meat but I find they are ideal for one person (with decent amount of leftovers depending on the size). You get great crackling. :chops: I like mine rubbed with sage, rosemary, crushed fennel seeds and garlic with a splash of vermouth in the roasting tin. Fennel bulb and/or celeriac sliced and popped in the roasting pan about halfway through is lovely. Depending on the size I cook mine for 2-3 hours or longer starting in a hot oven and then reducing to around 140C (fan). At the end I tend to take the crackling off and crisp it while the meat is resting.

I've not made this for ages but I must try and get a hock soon. :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 15th, 2017, 11:35 am

Gruney wrote: the pork hocks I see in Morrisons are just the raw joints,in the meat section - with a lot of fat and skin

We used to buy those 'salt pickled' or 'brined' like an ox tongue or pork belly petit salé, to use in the 'Pea Sup' I mentioned earlier ... delicious :chops:

This is what you want

https://www.rooksonline.co.uk/product/c ... n-knuckle/
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Gruney » July 15th, 2017, 11:49 am

This has put to bed, once and for all, something which has been bugging me ever since I took the cooking up. More strings to my bow, now - ta all.
Gruney
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 15th, 2017, 6:35 pm

I found this place very soon after moving to the area. It was the best discovery I made and one of the best reasons for moving over the plain.

http://www.sandridgefarmhousebacon.co.uk/frames.html
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Amber » July 16th, 2017, 6:03 am

We're on holiday with virtually no phone signal or wifi. It should be lovely...but in this day and age I do need my wifi. :oops:
Amber
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » July 16th, 2017, 6:17 am

Good Morning Wild Ones,
Amber wrote:but in this day and age I do need my wifi
Amber, I know what you mean, when we lived in Pissouri we had a very dodgy WiFi signal and no phone line.
Hot again so no change there :lol:

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 16th, 2017, 7:28 am

Good morning everyone. I woke up on top of a newspaper and TV guide, reading glasses strewn to one side, the wind blowing through the curtains and me on the floor. I have said goodbye to the sofa. If I want a decent sleep I need the floor otherwise my back is going to get worse! Done my hand washing (clothes) and tucking in to cereal and nectarines for breakfast. The sky is a lovely blue with white fluffies so it looks good. Am studying my A-Z to see if I have any parks nearby. I fancy laying out and catching some rays. Have a good day!
I miss my cats
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 16th, 2017, 7:35 am

Good morning
Teresa (and everyone else)
The Ordnance Survey has a brilliant new guide to green spaces, including the teeny tiny ones
https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/getoutside/greenspaces/

I shall be in a green space myself, WI cake stall on the common, wish me luck with the weather and the kids!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 16th, 2017, 8:50 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
It's really muggy here this morning ... the grass must be cut today, but first we must take the car to the farm shop to pick up some wine we bought a while back but which OH couldn't bring back on his bike ...........
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 16th, 2017, 8:56 am

Morning everyone :wave:

No change weather wise here either Moira but my scorpion wound is rather sore.
Good luck with the cake stall Sue

Amber wrote:We're on holiday with virtually no phone signal or wifi. It should be lovely...but in this day and age I do need my wifi. :oops:

We're not on holiday and we have no mobile phone signal, land line phone or wi-fi :rolleyes: Thank goodness we have the sat internet. Mr R is going to connect up the internet phone so we can contact the kids and our friend whose birthday is today.

The Sunday paper made for depressing reading this morning apart from one huge advert from Witrose which creased me. "Strawberries, cherries and raspberries £2.00 each" :terrified: :terrified: :terrified:
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby aero280 » July 16th, 2017, 8:57 am

Amber wrote:We're on holiday with virtually no phone signal or wifi. It should be lovely...but in this day and age I do need my wifi. :oops:

We are in Chester at the moment. OH is singing with the church choir in the cathedral. She was due to come up on her own and stay with a friend. The friend is in hospital at this moment having her gall bladder removed, so I said I would come with her and we would stay in a hotel. Then we found out that this weekend is the occasion of the Chester racecourse annual "Little Ascot" event! Hotel prices were through the roof. £200/night...

I was in the town yesterday lunchtime and there were a lot of ladies in expensive "evening gowns" with unfeasibly high heels tottering down the hill to the races. They were there again in the evening as we returned from the restaurant, manny in bare feet and others sitting on shop doorsteps unable to stand for one reason or another. :oops:

Along with others we found more reasonably priced accommodation at the University. Room service is nil. Breakfast is OK if you don't mind queueing and sharing with 200 Spanish 10 -12 year olds on a holiday. And the wifi password has just turned up after 24 hours of chasing!! :rolleyes: But it's a bed, with en-suite and a small kitchen area with a microwave. It will do for three nights. :)

Now I just have to find something to amuse myself in the rain all day...
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop