CHATTERBOX LXXVII Nathaniel

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: CHATTERBOX LXXVII Nathaniel

Postby liketocook » July 17th, 2017, 6:59 pm

One of things on my "determined to do when things settle a bit" is get my hair cut. It's not been cut for over a year apart from me trimming my fringe. It was chin length last June and is now well passed my shoulders. Thankfully I've still got thick strong hair and it's always tied back/ pinned up but I dread to think how many bin bags will be filled when I do manage to get the chop ;)
liketocook
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 17th, 2017, 8:28 pm

DSC_0188.JPG
Worzel Gummage in his summer nest
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » July 17th, 2017, 8:31 pm

And what a handsome gentleman he is, too! :luv:
:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby liketocook » July 17th, 2017, 8:44 pm

IMG_20170717_212611.jpg

Not the best of photos as it was going at a fair rate of knots, but a very welcome sight in my garden and I did think my slug/snail population had gone down a bit
liketocook
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 17th, 2017, 10:15 pm

Thanks Grassy, he is gorgeous and he knows it !!!!

LTC is that a HH ??? He is welcome to our slugs and snails, I'm afraid I put down slug pellets tonight as we have lost so much to the bu$$ars. We have never seen a HH here is wildest wiltshire...
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 17th, 2017, 10:19 pm

Worzel is just adorable Zosh!
I still miss my cats...loads
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 18th, 2017, 3:13 am

I was woken up about an hour ago with two ambulances, sirens and flashing lights. I went downstairs to see what was going on. Disturbingly my neighbour was having quite a violent epileptic seizure. The paramedic on the scene had it all under control but it was still quite awful to witness. I couldn't do anything to help really. In amongst all of it he offered me his table and chair. I'd best check up on him in a few hours.
I still miss my cats...loads
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » July 18th, 2017, 5:30 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, Tezza, epileptic seizures can be very disturbing to witness. All you can do is pop in to see him occasionally.
It looks as if today is going to be the hottest day this week, the high 30s, probably 40C somewhere. We have decided to go to the beach this afternoon, stay down there and have some supper.
All this chat about haircuts reminds me to call into Valentina for an appointment.

Moira :mug:
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Amber » July 18th, 2017, 6:06 am

34C here today, and then it looks like we're heading through thunderstorms for the next few days as we head south towards the coast, to 37C at the weekend and beyond. Lovely - apart from the thunderstorms.
Amber
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 18th, 2017, 7:36 am

Good morning only about 22 C here at the moment but we have cloud and the light is weird
Katie the weather says it will heat up with overnight thunder

Moira, I just left a comment with the video for one of those boxes that contain the ingredients for a single recipe. The dish is Prawn Saganaki. One if the ingredients is Shaoxing rice wine :rolleyes:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 18th, 2017, 8:01 am

Zosherooney wrote: We have never seen a HH here is wildest wiltshire...

that's because they are not mountaineering hogs Zosh ;) :lol:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby liketocook » July 18th, 2017, 8:28 am

Zosherooney wrote:
LTC is that a HH ??? He is welcome to our slugs and snails, I'm afraid I put down slug pellets tonight as we have lost so much to the bu$$ars. We have never seen a HH here is wildest wiltshire...

Yes it is and a fairly large one. First time I've seen one in my garden probably as until recently I had pooches, though many moons ago my elderly neighbour used to have a family that wandered across her grass every night setting off her security lights. She was convinced she had prowlers and was very concerned, my ex & the other neighbour sat up one night to see what was happening and lo and behold the mystery was solved :D
liketocook
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 18th, 2017, 8:30 am

Morning everyone :wave:

Hot here too and getting hotter. The cigales started at first light this mor

Worzel doesn't half NOT live up to his name Zosh. A very fine cat indeed.

Still no phone line or any sign of anyone doing anything about it. Mr R is down the road right now trying to reach Orange but all he gets is a recorded message. Ive suggested he rings the sales number and demands to be put through. You can bet your life they'll be answering. We even checked the junction box because when something similar happened a few years ago it turned out to be a hornets nest therein :scared:
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 18th, 2017, 8:39 am

Morning all! :wave: . I've read back. Lovely pix of handsome cat and hedgehog. The only hedgehog I have seen here in 30 years is one who got his head stuck in an empty tin can one evening and we had to rescue him. I suppose they may still be around but sadly my sitting room doesn't open onto the garden so I am not usually in that part of the house in the evening.

Glad you had a nice day Tezza, sad about your neighbour, I'm assuming he called the ambulance so he must be pretty clued up about what to do when the signs start.

A lovely sunny day. Thunderstorms forecast later but it was supposed to be cloud all day. I have everything ready to take GD on the bus. We are going to take our lunch to a local country park which has a lovely big lake and have a picnic which I prepared nice and early this morning, feed the ducks and go to the playground. Hopefully I have limited everything we need for a few hours out to fit in one rucksack :). I hope we can find a shady spot to sit in.

Hope everyone has a good day. My turn for the haircut tomorrow.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 18th, 2017, 8:49 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

Late on parade as I've been on the phone ... I ordered a pair of sandals in early May ... not available (although the catalogue had only arrived that morning) but would be available in another colour in early July .. ok I said, send me those. In early July I phoned to find out when they would arrive ... chap told me they were with Quality Control and would be with me within the week. Nothing. I phoned again this morning. Woman said she'd never heard of shoes being 'with Quality Control' She checked ... the computer still said they would arrive on 3rd July ... she checked again ... apparently they've not been made yet, and when they are made they're only making two .......... What! says I, Two sandals or two pairs? Two pairs, apparently. Well, that's something, but is one of those pairs mine and when are they being made? She talks to her manager ... they'll find out and get back to me either today or tomorrow ........... of course, as it's now July they have no other summer sandals left in my size that I like .... I wanted them for our holiday at the end of August ... I might as well cancel my order and wear my old ones on holiday then .... not the service I've come to expect from Hotter :(

Just as well I had that trendy Cyber-goth boot to wear through all the warm summer weather isn't it?
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 18th, 2017, 8:49 am

Have a lovely day EM. I would say that the essential to pack for a little one in proximity to water, any water, is at least one change of clothes. :lol: :lol:
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » July 18th, 2017, 8:52 am

StokeySue wrote:Moira, I just left a comment with the video for one of those boxes that contain the ingredients for a single recipe. The dish is Prawn Saganaki. One if the ingredients is Shaoxing rice wine
As Saganaki does not contain wine let alone Chinese wine, I wonder how they justify it? Most people do not realise that Saganaki is the name of the pan in which it is cooked not the dish itself, she says pompously ;)

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 18th, 2017, 8:55 am

Ah Moira, like a tian. The name of the cooking vessel.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Busybee » July 18th, 2017, 8:55 am

suffolk wrote:Good morning all :D :mug:

Late on parade as I've been on the phone ... I ordered a pair of sandals in early May ... not available (although the catalogue had only arrived that morning) but would be available in another colour in early July .. ok I said, send me those. In early July I phoned to find out when they would arrive ... chap told me they were with Quality Control and would be with me within the week. Nothing. I phoned again this morning. Woman said she'd never heard of shoes being 'with Quality Control' She checked ... the computer still said they would arrive on 3rd July ... she checked again ... apparently they've not been made yet, and when they are made they're only making two .......... What! says I, Two sandals or two pairs? Two pairs, apparently. Well, that's something, but is one of those pairs mine and when are they being made? She talks to her manager ... they'll find out and get back to me either today or tomorrow ........... of course, as it's now July they have no other summer sandals left in my size that I like .... I wanted them for our holiday at the end of August ... I might as well cancel my order and wear my old ones on holiday then .... not the service I've come to expect from Hotter :(

Just as well I had that trendy Cyber-goth boot to wear through all the warm summer weather isn't it?

They make two pairs of sandals? The mind boggles, but maybe not .... when my mum tries to rider anything other than her usual pair of sandals they are out of stock. It's a running joke in our family. We have found greater success by actually going in to the Hotter shop, but it's a 30 mile round trip so it really has to be combined with a need for something else in the city.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Seatallan » July 18th, 2017, 9:06 am

Zosh, I think I've said so before, but Wurzel looks so like our Ollie Boppet that they could be twins. :hug: :hug: :hug:

Suffs- what a sandal saga! I think it is definitely time for a refund.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 18th, 2017, 9:26 am

IT WORKED. Mr R got through via the sales dept and there is now a man down a hole outside :bounce: :bounce:

Suffs Hotter are most unhelpful at sending anything here.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 18th, 2017, 9:35 am

The problem with Hotter is that for years I put up with uncomfortable shoes because of my wide feet .... then I found Hotter - their shoes fit and are comfortable .... nowhere else to take my custom to ..

To cap it all this morning I've had an email from Hotter with a link to their online catalogue with an improved version of the sandals I want ... click on my size and it says they're In Stock ... I phoned them up again and now they're even more confused than me ........ They'll ring me back
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » July 18th, 2017, 10:32 am

I could have sworn I had posted good Morning Wild ones earlier but now it's gone :o

SO

Good Morning Wild ones :wave:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 18th, 2017, 10:35 am

Well, Hotter rang back full of apologies ... it seems that the website is totally out of sync with their warehouse ... they don't have any left and are not making any more of the new improved version of the sandals I want .... I had a tiny strop - after all I did order them back in early May ... didn't get me the wedge sandals I want but I am getting some other wedge sandals in a similar colour, at the sale price less 10% with free delivery ... that's £22 rather than £69, so at least I won't have to go barefoot in the cobbled streets of Cornwall ... rather ordinary sandals rather than the stylish ones I wanted but I don't suppose many people will be looking at my feet ....... :rolleyes:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » July 18th, 2017, 10:47 am

Oddly enough I have been out shopping in Watford for various must-haves and have come back with a pair of Hotter shoes. I was the only customer so got the attention of both assistants. They both reckon they will help my plantar fasciitis and I can have my money back if they don't. Got these for £29. (Size 8)

http://www.hotter.com/gb/en/helena-shoe ... id%20Green
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby scullion » July 18th, 2017, 11:01 am

it seems there's a hotter shop in truro - maybe you should check them out when you're down.
scullion
Registered

Postby Luca » July 18th, 2017, 11:04 am

Don't want to start a thread but thought I might get some info here. Does anybody have any experience of osteomyelitis as an adult (in the right knee in this case)? I had it acutely as a child but that was loooong ago! Finding out info for somebody who has been diagnosed with it and in hospital but they are still running all sorts of tests.

Thanks!
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby scullion » July 18th, 2017, 11:29 am

i've only known one person who had it. it was in one of his heels and had had it from childhood. bones are notoriously difficult to treat and his was no exception. i think he retired slightly early and had an amputation in the end.
sorry, probably not what you wanted to hear but that was a few decades ago and i'm sure treatments have moved on since then.
i'm not sure gathering info on a forum like this will be very helpful as most of it will be second hand or hearsay rather than empirical.
scullion
Registered

Postby Luca » July 18th, 2017, 11:39 am

Thanks Scully. I'm also in touch with a professional but put it here just in case somebody knew something first hand that I could pass on. My great uncle had it many years ago and his leg was amputated. I was lucky and made pretty much full recovery.
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby Zosherooney » July 18th, 2017, 12:09 pm

Wuzzle is grateful for all your lovely comments. He wants to take his fur coat off and is wallowing about on the tiled kitchen floor. He has caught and eaten his morning mouse and will nap till it cools down.

Suff, our feet cause all sort of issues, mine are wide but thankfully only a 5 so I sometimes go up to a 6 to get the width so long as it is not sandals. I just lurve velcro sandals. Trying to decide what to wear (and on feet) tomorrow for the internment, quite some walking to be done - graveyard then into town for a meal, then back to the car, drop rellies back at their motorhome on the way, collect some of Dad's stuff, then home to relax. It will be a taxing day - emotions, family, walking..... but it does look like the weather will be kind.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » July 18th, 2017, 12:16 pm

I hosted a family gathering at the weekend.
Various members prefer different milks, so I stocked up with red, blue and green.

SFH marched through the door, brandishing a carton of milk and declared she had brought her own in case my hostessing skills didn't
stretch to providing her preferred milk.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 18th, 2017, 12:17 pm

PP they look lovely/ I'm thinking of oredering a pair then having them sent to DS to bring when he comes.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 18th, 2017, 12:40 pm

scullion wrote:it seems there's a hotter shop in truro - maybe you should check them out when you're down.

We have one in Norwich ... but they can't get them either :(

I usually take my own milk when we go to MIL's 'cos she has green top and I usually have red ... OH has soya milk so we take his with us too ......... but if for some reason we don't take our milk we put up with what we're given without complaint.

Come to think of it, OH takes his own breakfast cereal as any in his mum's cupboard might have been there a very long time indeed. I usually take a preferred brand of instant coffee ........... Oh, and OH takes his decaff tea bags ................... :lol: it rather sounds as if we take the entire contents of the pantry :lol: :oops:

I'm pretty sure MIL doesn't mind us taking our own ................ I suppose it depends on the relationship you have with the hostess ............. :) ;)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 18th, 2017, 1:18 pm

Looks like the thunder storm is on its way....... I am half way with the cucumber relish and it is starting to smell very fresh summery and spiced. Mr. Z has retired to the swingy seat for a siesta but I need to jar this stuff up in a while. 8-)

WW. You must :kneel: to her superior being..... NOT !
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 18th, 2017, 1:31 pm

The answer to SFH is "Good, I thought you would bring your own so I didn't bother to buy any"

Best to be like us and not use milk!
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 18th, 2017, 2:11 pm

Ratatouille wrote:Ah Moira, like a tian. The name of the cooking vessel.

Or cataplana in Portugal (a casserole thingy)
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby icelesley » July 18th, 2017, 2:34 pm

I had never heard of cataplana before until Monday when Chef put chicken cataplana on the menu. Described as Portuguese style chicken stew with lots of paprika and garlic
icelesley
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 18th, 2017, 2:40 pm

You learn something every day here don't you? :tu:
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » July 18th, 2017, 2:41 pm

I'm afraid it always takes me straight to Rataplan in Cox and Box. :oops: :oops: :oops:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TyiNbcY7eQM
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby icelesley » July 18th, 2017, 2:48 pm

Ratatouille wrote:You learn something every day here don't you? :tu:

You do indeed, and we are never to old to learn :tu:
icelesley
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 18th, 2017, 2:51 pm

Cataplana - when we went to the Algarve thirty odd years ago, every menu featured Clams in Cataplana

Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » July 18th, 2017, 2:54 pm

Ratatouille wrote:
Ah Moira, like a tian. The name of the cooking vessel.
Or cataplana in Portugal (a casserole thingy)

or a karahai

any more?
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 18th, 2017, 2:58 pm

Casserole :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 18th, 2017, 3:02 pm

Balti
Casserole
Close is chowder from chaudiere (cauldron)
Barbeque? Or is that stretching it?
Clootie dumpling cooked in a cloth?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby icelesley » July 18th, 2017, 3:05 pm

Time for me to pack up and get ready for home. Did anyone sign my holiday form ?? Did I say I am off next week :D See you all tomorrow :wave: :wave:
icelesley
Registered

Postby Gruney » July 18th, 2017, 3:21 pm

Tagine?
Gruney
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 18th, 2017, 3:51 pm

icelesley wrote:Time for me to pack up and get ready for home. Did anyone sign my holiday form ?? Did I say I am off next week :D See you all tomorrow :wave: :wave:

I signed it Ice :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » July 18th, 2017, 4:14 pm

marmite!
scullion
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 18th, 2017, 5:38 pm

May I ask for your input on oxtail casserole/stew etc. We have fiends arriving on Sunday eve from the Wirral, they are notoriously bad with timing and as I have enough for 5/6 portions thought I would light my slow cooker (after browning off first) and may go down the Jamaican style of stew. Throw in some beans of some sort after soaking and maybe some tatos. Any ideas ????

Some recipes say let it go cold and take out the main bones and take off the fat as it sets on the top. It seems to be one of those dishes that is better warmed up a 2nd time. :chef:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 18th, 2017, 5:49 pm

Definitely, cook the day before ... put it in the fridge overnight and lift off the set fat ... the flavour is better when cooled and reheated too.
What about a cobbler topping? I know it's summer but :hungry: :chops:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop