Food memories from your youth

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Food memories from your youth

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 3rd, 2017, 1:01 pm

You may, like me, have flown the nest as soon as possible to do your own thing in the kitchen, or hung around at home enjoying foodie treats cooked for you by family.

Do you have any really fond food memories from when you were growing up?

I don't remember anything my Mum cooked. She was a terrible cook, still is! She was always on a strict diet so did use to create a delicious salad which was right up my street when I became veggie aged around 14, much to her horror! Before that she worked full time in a hospital shift work and my Grandparents helped look after us. I remember:
Granddad's green house and his home grown tomatoes, also runner beans which we would pick and eat straight from the vine. Sometimes they made it as far as the kitchen but usually not!
Nan's stew containing gammon, loads of pearl barley, potatoes, chunky veg and dumplings. I tried for years to recreate a meat free version when I left home but never successfully. If I asked her for recipe she said there wasn't one, she just put in whatever she had.
Nan's mashed potato was sublime.
Tinned peaches with condensed milk or tinned fruit cocktail. I wasn't keen on that thick, claggy milk but still now love tinned fruit especially in juice, not syrup so much.
My first kitchen experience when I bought a flat with my then husband late eighties. Microwaves were all the rage and this is when I seriously started collecting cookery books. I decided to do chicken pieces in it for him. Found instructions, pinged it and we sat down to eat it. Blood everywhere. I never used a microwave after that and haven't had one for years.
I still miss my cats...loads
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Re: Food memories from your youth

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 3rd, 2017, 1:14 pm

I meant to mention Granddad's favourite snack on his lunchtime break from work. Piping hot tinned plum tomatoes on toast with heaps of ground white pepper. I have that for my tea tonight and still love it and think of him every time I have it. I eat it with brown sauce, preferably home made if I have some (must make a new batch soon).
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Suelle » July 3rd, 2017, 1:55 pm

My most vivid (and positive) childhood food memories are of:

1 - toast cooked by my Dad (the only thing he cooked) using a homemade toasting fork, on an open fire, spread with pork dripping, and then heavily salted.

2 - homemade pork brawn (cheese) made by my grandmother. She used trotters rather than heads, I think. Only Dad and I liked it, so we had big portions!
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 3rd, 2017, 5:23 pm

Lol I am intrigued by your tale Suelle and most interested in your Dad's home made toasting fork. I would love to make or find one when I next live somewhere with an open fire, and I will! Have just mainly lost one and watched a lovely elderly cat or two nestle in front of it rendering it useless for cooking unless upsetting the brood! Maybe next time.....hmmmmm. Will be happening in future. :bounce:
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Seatallan » July 3rd, 2017, 5:27 pm

I have happy memories of my granny's ham sandwiches. Granny and grandad lived in a caravan at the bottom of our garden when I was a child. It was a sort of late 60s/early 70s version of a Granny Flat. Granny always collected me from school and then we watched children's TV in the caravan whilst I ate a plate of her ham sandwiches. There was always plenty of butter and mustard in the sandwiches. The bread was white and had lovely tasty crusts.

Granny also made really wonderful jam tarts so I usually had a few of those after my sandwiches. :D :chops: :chops:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Amber » July 3rd, 2017, 10:26 pm

Willicks. Lovely, but I'm not sure I could eat them now.

My dad's fried onions.

Tinned peaches and evap, sometimes with meringue nests too.

Also, not real food, but sarsaparilla tablets, and those sweet peanut things.
Amber
Registered

Postby scullion » July 4th, 2017, 12:48 am

I had to look willicks up. I have never heard winkles called that before - is it a northern name?
scullion
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 4th, 2017, 1:19 am

I never heard of Wicklies either and didn't have much luck Googling....
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 4th, 2017, 7:45 am

Never heard of willicks either, but as scully says, Google suggests they are winkles
I don't mind winkles as long as I can prevent people from dousing them in vinegar, but I was always a bit scared of eating anything with a pin.
On the whole I'm grateful to have access to a more interesting food than when even courgettes were considered worryingly exotic and garlic was anathema
But I do miss getting most of the fruit and veg from the garden, and Saturday tea of warm Vienna loaf, cheese, and lovely nutty celery from the garden in front of Dr Who (that can only have happened a few times each late autumn, but definitely a strong memory)
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 4th, 2017, 8:04 am

I've never heard winkles called willicks before ... but we still gather them from our favourite beach and bring them home and boil them and eat them with bread and butter and white pepper ... and yes, with a pin :chops:

Brawn ... Ma used pig's head and trotters, home cooked and pressed ox tongue, and a boiling fowl selected from the chicken run and simmered on the stove all day with a ham hock in a pot of vegetables ... the meat was used in pies, casseroles, fricassees (when's the last time you had a chicken fricassee? :chops: ) and of course, soups.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 4th, 2017, 8:06 am

P.S. This is what we called a Vienna loaf, a lot of the pictures on the net seem to bloomers with less cuts than usual)
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 4th, 2017, 8:30 am

scullion wrote:I had to look willicks up. I have never heard winkles called that before - is it a northern name?

Why aye pet. They're the littlblack'uns yer howk out with a pin.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cooksalot » July 4th, 2017, 8:39 am

scullion wrote:I had to look willicks up. I have never heard winkles called that before - is it a northern name?

As far as I know they call them wilks in Scotland. People forage for them on the beach in the Highlands for export (to France, I think!). I don't like them, taste or texture.
cooksalot
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 4th, 2017, 8:46 am

I have , all the men where tallented vegetable growersso many childhood food memoriesBecause on my mother;s side all the women were excellent cooks and my uncle was a master butcher. following a familty tradition. On both side all the men were wonderful gardners. Therefore, even during the war we ate well, simply but well.

My most vivid memories include learning how to dress a crab then eating it with Granny's home made brown bread.
'Mondays steamed leek pudding with the left over cold beef and hot gravy
Eating Singin' Hinnies hot off the girdle and knowing exactly why they have their name.
My paternal garndmothers rock hard scones which were so heavy more than one of the Sunday best china plates was lost
Picking wild mushrooms early in the morning on the racecourse at Richmond (Yorks) with my uncle then walking back to his house where aunty fried them with home cured bacon for breakfast.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 4th, 2017, 8:55 am

My grandfather kept a pub
One of the regulars used to go mushroom picking before I was up and drop off a few for my breakfast, eaten with bacon cured by Dad's cousin Charlie the butcher :chops:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Hope » July 4th, 2017, 9:46 am

Most of the food I loved as a child, I wouldn't eat now! I remember eating the leaves from the cauliflower, because I wanted to be like my lovely grandad. I remember lasagne as a birthday treat. Bolognase nearly every saturday (the smell of it cooking mingling in my memory with the ticker score thing on match of the day). Maltese ricotta pie that my grandmother used to make (more or less a quiche filling, but in an enclosed pie). Barbeques in the summer. Findus crispy pancakes on a friday. Cake, covered in buttercream icing with chopped hazelnuts stuck to the side. Eating loads and loads of pasta on holiday in eating and all the fresh fruit that was just so much better than when you buy it here. Salmon caught by one of my Scottish relatives. My Gran's apple pie (the best pie ever. No one can make pastry like she could!) Birds custard, bit runny, no skin (dad always had the skin and loved it, the rest of us hated it!) I only liked strawberries, my sister only liked the cream. Having so many runner beans in the summer (because mum grew them) that I got fed up with eventually, but after quite a long while!
Hope
Registered

Postby scullion » July 4th, 2017, 9:52 am

my brother and i were given the job to go winkling in the rock pools when we were little, and the haul boiled and eaten for tea. not a pastime i felt the need to continue when i was old enough to make my own choice - they're still snails even though they live in the sea.
we should get the usual flush of horse mushrooms in the polytunnel in a month or two, a very nice 'surprise' crop every year.
scullion
Registered

Postby Gruney » July 4th, 2017, 10:56 am

Boiled or pickled samphire - it was known locally as "samkin".
Gruney
Registered

Postby smitch » July 4th, 2017, 11:18 am

We spent a lot of time with my maternal grandparents when I was young and my nan cooked many of our meals. I remember we always had Yorkshire puddings as the starter on a Sunday, served with sliced cucumber and onion in vinegar, or mint sauce with lettuce. She also made a lovely turkey and ham pie and was a fab baker. I used to love her ground rice tarts- basically a pastry case, with a bit of jam topped with ground rice cake mixture from the Be-ro book. When I went veggie, she always made me a lovely macaroni cheese when we went round for a meal.
smitch
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 4th, 2017, 11:18 am

I remember Findus Crispy Pancakes now with Smash! I actually liked that meal a lot! I have instant mash in my cupboard as a stand by when I can't get decent spuds. I now fancy a crispy pancake! Horrible things really but I bet my local shop stocks them if I have a look!
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 4th, 2017, 11:21 am

Mum used to cook Sunday dinner with homemade pastry in a minced beef pie and the excess pastry would be rolled out and spread with jam, rolled up as a Roly Poly with custard, probably Bird's. Between six of us there was never a scrap left. Yum! I'd eat it now!
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 4th, 2017, 12:07 pm

I didn't taste ot even see pasta until I was well into my teens as for Crispy Pancakes. What in the heck are those? I vaguely remember seeing the odd TV advert. I suspect the nearest i ever got to "processed food" was tinned peaches and evaporated milk, oh and Spam. I don't ever recall baked beans until I was a teenager. Of course i was born during the war :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 4th, 2017, 12:45 pm

Find us Crispy Pancakes...

http://www.findus.co.uk/range/findus-crispy-pancakes

Pasta was never on the menu until I left home and discovered it for myself. We as a family used to eat a lot of Spam before I ditched meat! And corned beef and Branston pickle sandwiches. Heave! Kept us going though! I used to get school dinners paid for by the government on tickets, queue up and wait until everyone else has been served then eat what's left. Usually horrible bangers (no thanks) with veg or a basic salad with no substance whatsoever. So I would have almost daily peas, baked beans, sweetcorn or some other veg. A bit grim! But I couldn't face the meat offerings! I can still see the school dinner lady's face if I put my mind to it. She was lovely!
On a different level, at 'little school' we used to have these little glass beakers scattered around each table, a jug of water, S&P and a bottle of Sarsons. One day a boy at my table filled his beaker with vinegar then when the teacher came round, so as not to get in trouble for abusing the condiments, he necked it! It took me years (well into my adult life) to get over witnessing that! I still have a slight fear of vinegar.
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Hope » July 4th, 2017, 1:26 pm

Pasta was a normal staple in our house (I was born in the 70s, so probably a bit younger than some of you!) But then my dad grew up eating it a lot (he was born in WW2, but obviously not in the UK!)

Oh, my mum's homemade yoghurt with honey. Or evaporated milk and tinned peaches. My favourite puddings!
Hope
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 4th, 2017, 2:13 pm

I think I introduced my parents to non-tinned pasta after I'd left home - in the '80s. They didn't like it.
We never went abroad. Couldn't afford it. Holiday food memory was waffles with cream and jam in Scarborough.
Otherwise, from deep childhood... my mother was/is not a good cook either. She used to make a (cheap?) meat soupy stewy thing which was pale greeny brown. It put me off homemade soup for years.
My dad hardly ever cooked and, if he did, generally, for himself, but he did used to make mushrooms on toast. The 'white sauce' would be grey and so thick you could stand a spoon up in it. This put me off mushrooms for 'years' (= until I was twelve, translating from childspeak.)
My grandma (father's mother) was not a good cook according to my mum (!) but she was a good baker (according to my mum) but I don’t really remember anything in particular. Sunday roasts, but there was usually such a tension in the air (my father reverting to truculent teenagerhood) that perhaps that's why I don’t remember the food. Blue Ribbond biscuits and Battenburg cake (which my sister liked, and I did not) are things I associate with her. Oh and Dream Topping ice cream which no one else but me liked :)
My great Aunt (grandma's sister) whose husband was a very keen gardener served underdone carrots (= not done to death like my mother did) and her trifle had... shock... jelly in it and hundreds and thousands (was it a Birds one?) which my mother was very snooty about. But I once stayed with her and she let me pick and cook baby carrots from the garden in a baby pan on a (spare) stove in her porch.
My teenaged sister introduced me to doctoring tinned baked beans. Curry powder was the first experiment. She also made lovely scrambled egg with cream, and pancakes with grated chocolate and cream. My sister was (and I assume still is) a very good cook.

It's odd though how I mainly remember the not so nice things - the homemade bread buns that made your jaw ache, the lamb chops that made me feel sick, the low budget (essentially free) baked apple dessert, the tinned Heinz Vegetable salad. (They seem to sell this as Macedonian Salad in France. My husband likes it.)
My mother tends to repeat herself a lot these days, and she will often ask me if I remember the Black Forest Gateau that she went to so much effort to make for one of our birthdays (she can't remember whose) or the moussaka, that took hours partly because of having to salt these weird vegetables called aubergines, or the French cinnamon toast. I don't really remember these things, but have learnt to say "Mmm" and nod my head. But I do remember (and she doesn't) making pizza from a packet, chapatis from flour bought on a market stall, a Ken Hom chicken Chinese stir fry, Apfelstrudel from a recipe given to me by my Austrian exchange student's mother, which involved pastry the size of the kitchen table, and pressing apples, that had escaped the disgusting baking treatment, into delicious cloudy juice (I had only ever seen apple juice the colour of a dehydrated person's urine before!) ...and making éclairs, vanilla slices and lemon curd from grandma's recipes.

Apart from that it has to be the treats: battered onion rings with the Sunday roast, trifle made with cream made from butter in the Kenwood Chef, homemade chocolate mousse (just chocolate and raw egg, I think), frozen prawns on Christmas Day, Penguin and Club Biscuits, flavoured processed cheese triangles.
But also Ski yoghurts, the occasional, Vesta Curry and of course white sliced bread (ideally with butter, although it would be Krona, more often than not, and golden syrup.) Oh and cucumber, semi-pickled in malt vinegar, that sat in a bowl on the cold slab in the pantry.

You can rather tell it was a 70s (Northern) upbringing.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 4th, 2017, 4:04 pm

Herb - I too was a 70's kid and can relate to all of the products you mention! One that struck a chord and made me smile in reminiscing.... Vesta! We grew up in a one bed council property and when my Sister was born a couple of years after me we quickly outgrew the property and Mum (Dad had left) put in for something bigger. The council offered us a two bed right near my Grandparents so we viewed it. It was notoriously known to have previously been inhabited by a family who, let's just say, hadn't looked after it. It was like a pig's sty. A hard working undertaking to move in. It needed complete renovation, decoration and a skip to get rid of all the junk. I remember in the kitchen there was a larder built into the wall. Upon first inspection, as with most of the house (stairs, doors, ceilings) there was a layer of waterproof wallpaper which needed to be peeled off in order to make things clean! When we peeled the wallpaper of inside the larder a load of beetles fell out and scurried away! Anyway, we cleaned the whole house, and for some reason Mum bought a Vesta curry kit thing and it lived in this larder for what felt like decades! Every time I went round there after I left home and sneaked in the larder it was still there! It became a bit of a family joke because it was so out of date you wouldn't serve it up to your worst enemy.
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Luca » July 4th, 2017, 5:24 pm

My mother and grandmother maternal side were fabulous cooks and I have many delicious memories. I don't remember my paternal grandmother cooking. She had a cook/housekeeper who was also a great cook and a true friend to the family.

Rats. When my French ex husband came to the uk he thought Findus pancakes would be like Picard pancakes. They are not! Apparently the Picard ones are quite good but I haven't tasted for about 15 years. They were useful as a freezer gouter.
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby Bubbles » July 4th, 2017, 5:42 pm

Unfortunately my mum was not a good cook but we still ate quite well. I remember having gigot chops (Scotland) with mash on a Sat while watching Dixon of Dock Green. They were fried in lard and so tasty. My favourite meal was Sunday when we got home from Mass. We would go into the shop round the corner from the church and mum would buy a Dozen potato scones which we would then have with bacon and egg and sometimes square sausage. There were five of us so we always had at least two each?
Bubbles
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 4th, 2017, 6:46 pm

Having read this thread so far I am beginning to think that, even though I was brought up during and of course after the war, in a far from wealthy family, I was very very lucky

I had , at least one half of the family, who really cared about food, the provenance and the cooking, no matter what,

Mr R came from a similar family, in that his grandmother was a professional cook and passed her skills on to her 2 daughters. However he was sent by his RAF officer father to boarding school at 8 and was fed appallinglingly. You just wouldn't believs the stories. Child abuse or what ???? His mum never forgave herself for letting him go so young but there was nothing she could have done. She was a wonderful cook and it was she who gave me Robert Carrier's Great Dishes of the World for my 21st birthday with a wonderful dedication, obviously never seen by her husband :twisted: We loved cooking together and egging each other on in her latter years.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » July 4th, 2017, 7:31 pm

Making home made crisps with my dad on a Saturday afternoon - the more obscure the flavour the better.

Helping my mum make crab thermidore (retro!) for dinner guests and me eating far too much whilst "testing". I must have been about 7. I still love it and make it occasionally now and I've nicked the shell serving dishes off my mum!

The strict rule of Sunday afternoon lunch growing up that we all had to be around for it. It was always a 'more the merrier' affair so we would often have friends/extended family around. I still love Sunday afternoons like that now.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 4th, 2017, 10:44 pm

I remember proper tea for extended family. Ham sandwiches and / or tinned salmon sandwiches, often little dishes of beetroot or cucumber and onion in vinegar. Unless it was summer in which case the ham or salmon or ox tongue was served with salad and bread and butter, which came to much the same thing. Followed by cake and tinned fruit with evap or cream, and more bread and butter for the Midlands contingent who couldn't eat tinned fruit without it. Fresh strawberries and raspberries from the garden in summer with cream or ice cream.

Raspberry ripple or Neapolitan (striped) family bricks of ice cream

Pie for pudding made with tinned plums; red, gold or or green (perhaps Boy George had them too? :lol: ) Served of course with custard, we went off them when my cousin pointed out the plums were all the same apart from remarkable amounts of dye :rolleyes:

Mum getting a Kenwood Chefette and learning hoe to make real mayo in the liquidiser

Bisto gravy :sprout: I've only recently discovered I quite like gravy as long as it is Bisto free

Bottling fruit and making jam
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby icelesley » July 5th, 2017, 6:36 am

My Dad's gravy, Mum couldn't do gravy to save her life :rolleyes: Bacon butties on Sunday. Fighting with siblings for the crust off the loaf, then toasting it and heaping on lashings of butter. Cake making with my Aunty, again Mum couldn't bake to save her life either. Chicken for Christmas dinner she managed to give us all a leg each :lol: (ours were wings ). Peas, we had peas with everything, Mum was good at opening a tin of peas :) Oh and Nana's trifle...it was bliss in a dish :chops:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » July 5th, 2017, 7:54 am

StokeySue wrote:I remember proper tea for extended family. Ham sandwiches and / or tinned salmon sandwiches, often little dishes of beetroot or cucumber and onion in vinegar. Unless it was summer in which case the ham or salmon or ox tongue was served with salad and bread and butter, which came to much the same thing. Followed by cake and tinned fruit with evap or cream, and more bread and butter for the Midlands contingent who couldn't eat tinned fruit without it. Fresh strawberries and raspberries from the garden in summer with cream or ice cream.

m

Were we sisters?
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 5th, 2017, 9:13 am

patpoyntz wrote:
StokeySue wrote:I remember proper tea for extended family. Ham sandwiches and / or tinned salmon sandwiches, often little dishes of beetroot or cucumber and onion in vinegar. Unless it was summer in which case the ham or salmon or ox tongue was served with salad and bread and butter, which came to much the same thing. Followed by cake and tinned fruit with evap or cream, and more bread and butter for the Midlands contingent who couldn't eat tinned fruit without it. Fresh strawberries and raspberries from the garden in summer with cream or ice cream.

m

Were we sisters?

Probably triplets :tutu: :tutu: :tutu:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » July 5th, 2017, 9:33 am

When we had tinned salmon my Mum used to put vinegar in the salmon and mash it up :sprout: i didn't eat salmon for years.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 5th, 2017, 10:20 am

icelesley wrote:When we had tinned salmon my Mum used to put vinegar in the salmon and mash it up :sprout: i didn't eat salmon for years.

My auntie Ethel used to do that
The vinegar (Sarson's) lived in a little pressed glass cruet in the side board
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 5th, 2017, 12:58 pm

Always vinegar in tinned salmon in our house too.

Sunday lunch is still more or less a must in our household and absolutely compulsory when family are around - they would be the first to complain if it wasn't. These days it can be a moveable event because several of our friends are of like mind. I love long lazy Sunday afternoons. Much better than being packed off to Sunday School as I was as a child. No wonder I'm a heathen now :lol: :lol:
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » July 5th, 2017, 1:39 pm

Vinegar on the salmon here too. My dad always had sardine sandwiches once a week at work, sliced white bread, tinned sardines mashed with malt vinegar, maybe some pepper.

The meat was tinned also of course - ham, corned beef or luncheon meat. Sometimes it would be from the meat counter at the Home & Colonial, in which case there might be tongue or jellied veal, if you were really lucky.

By the time I reached my teens it was just dad and myself, so Sunday tea became a selection from the whelk stall on the way back from fishing. :tu: :tu:
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby Busybee » July 5th, 2017, 3:20 pm

Another vinegar household here too.

In fact I think my mum still has tinned salmon occasionally- vinegar still added.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 5th, 2017, 3:37 pm

For years the sight and smell of vinegar literally made me feel physically sick. This was because at infant school at the lunch table a male pupil poured vinegar into his drinking glass then when he thought he was going to get caught and told off he knecied it down in one. :sprout: It was only recent years I managed to conquer my fear.
Last edited by TeresaFoodie on July 5th, 2017, 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » July 5th, 2017, 4:11 pm

Tinned salmon with vinegar here too but it had to be red salmon. Pink salmon was for cats. (i.e. common).
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 5th, 2017, 4:48 pm

I remember as a student buying frozen coley and feeding it to my housemates
They asked why so cheap?
I explained that because it was grey when raw people thought it was only fit for the cat, but they'd found it fine when cooked
After that fish-for-the-cat became a household stapke
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Amber » July 9th, 2017, 8:00 pm

Vinegar and tinned salmon.
Boxed Birds trifle at my aunties.
Rock cakes.
Deep-fried home cooked dried crisps from the town moor fair.
Fried luncheon meat.
Fresh strawberries, only in July, piled up in boxes on the street outside Binns. And nobody stealing them :o ;) !

And, never, ever, being allowed to eat or drink in the street. It was 'common'!
(apart from chips at the beach)
Amber
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 10th, 2017, 7:27 am

Spam Fritters as part of the school lunch options. I then persuaded Mum to buy them from Iceland along with mushy pea fritters! Glorious!
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Seatallan » July 10th, 2017, 8:12 am

Amber wrote:Rock cakes.

Made some recently for the first time in years and very nice they were too. :chops:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 10th, 2017, 9:08 am

Amber wrote:Fresh strawberries, only in July, piled up in boxes on the street outside Binns. And nobody stealing them :o ;) !

And, never, ever, being allowed to eat or drink in the street. It was 'common'!
(apart from chips at the beach)

You must mean the market stalls in the Bigg market Amber?

I was never allowed to eat in the strett either, except from ice cream cornets from the venetian cafe at Whitley Bay.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby scullion » July 10th, 2017, 11:02 am

'welfare' orange juice concentrate from the surgery.
my aunt, who was a district nurse there, when i was little, slipped us a bottle every so often.
sunquick used to do one that tasted just the same until they changed the recipe to a sweeter and more artificial colour/flavour - shame.

i can't remember being told not to eat in the street - it just never happened. probably because the only 'fast food' outlet was the fish and chip shop - only open in the evening - and i didn't get pocket money.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 10th, 2017, 11:14 am

TeresaFoodie wrote:Spam Fritters as part of the school lunch options. I then persuaded Mum to buy them from Iceland along with mushy pea fritters! Glorious!

The idea of options at a school lunch is bizarre to me, you got what you were given in the sixties (religious and medical exceptions).
Loved Spam fritters at prep school, but of course no Iceland then, in fact that memory would predate even Bejam
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 10th, 2017, 12:14 pm

As a single parent household as a small child we were allowed dinner tickets to help towards meal costs. I still recall the salmon pink colour and smell of those tickets! The almost embarrassing thing about it was having to queue up at play time to collect said tickets. Other children more financially fortunate would take pleasure in jeering at us in the queue. Then when you had been through that ordeal dinner ladies were only allowed to offer you certain items. It was a sorry situation for all. I plumped up well though so all is not lost. You live and learn.
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 10th, 2017, 1:23 pm

Now at my supposedly posh school, we all had dinner tickets, 30 to a book. Most parents sent a cheque or the cash, £3 I think, later £3 10s, but I know some of the girls got them free, but of course you couldn't tell the difference in the dining room
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Next

Return to The Coffee Shop