Food memories from your youth

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Food memories from your youth

Postby Busybee » July 10th, 2017, 1:34 pm

StokeySue wrote:Now at my supposedly posh school, we all had dinner tickets, 30 to a book. Most parents sent a cheque or the cash, £3 I think, later £3 10s, but I know some of the girls got them free, but of course you couldn't tell the difference in the dining room

Same at our school, except the price was 25p per day.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 10th, 2017, 1:36 pm

I was mainly pre-decimal
I feel old!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Catherine » July 10th, 2017, 2:01 pm

StokeySue wrote:The idea of options at a school lunch is bizarre to me, you got what you were given in the sixties (

Same at my prep school. One meal was cooked, the only option was large or small, but it had to be eaten. We never had money at school it was in included in the fees. No one took packed lunch. But it was all freshly cooked at school, and a lot of the salads were grown in the school grounds

My Nanna too made tinned salmon sandwiches, but no vinegar as far as I'm aware. Tinned crab and also tinned prawns also featured with Danish bread. She also made rock buns, butterfly cakes, lardy cake, fondant fancies and Viennese Whirls.
Celery filled with cream cheese.
The above was as a result of mum telling her we didn't need feeding' just a cup of teas would be fine. :lol:
She did however made the best beef stew and smoked haddock with mash and peas
Catherine
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 10th, 2017, 3:04 pm

Bird's Appeal orange juice powder! I used to love what we called 'baby orange juice'. I didn't realize it was allocated on an means tested basis.

We didn't have school meals (at senior school.) Everyone had to pay x amount for which one had a bowl of soup in winter (it was made from a packet) or orange juice in summer. On top of this, you could pay to have a 'snack'. On the rare occasions I had it (because I had forgotten my packed lunch, it was quite salady in a raw cabbage way i.e. neither substantial nor nice. The 'canteen' was a sort of prefab hut, so I am guessing they didn't have the facilities to actually cook.
There was a bit of a status thing involved in this - snack people vs bring your own lunch people. We had to sit in different areas.
Whatever you did, there were no choices re what you had.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » July 10th, 2017, 3:34 pm

Busybee wrote: the price was 25p per day.

at my primary school it was 5/- (or 25p in modern language) a week! all freshly cooked on the premises.
at senior school i think it was £50 a term. vegetarian, veg grown on premises or school farm, cooked by italian chefs - best school food ever.
scullion
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » July 10th, 2017, 3:47 pm

Did anyone else have evaporated milk beaten up with a rotary egg whisk then added to cool downed jelly, it was called mousse. Proper Chocolate Mousse came as a nice surprise.

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Amber » July 10th, 2017, 8:46 pm

Baby orange juice, and rose hip syrup, both delicious.

Also evap and jelly. :D

And it was Binns in Sunderland, Ratatouille. A (very!) long time ago. The strawberries were just left out in stacked crates on the main street - it wouldn't happen now!
Amber
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 10th, 2017, 9:22 pm

Herbidacious wrote: I used to love what we called 'baby orange juice'. I didn't realize it was allocated on an means tested basis.

I don't think it was, as I had it, and we had no means tested benefits, at least at first
I'm told it was great with gin!

No, it was universal as shown by this excerpt from Hansard, though the age limits may have been varied, and uptake was I think quite low in some areas.

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons/1957/dec/02/welfare-foods-orange-juice
I didn't have it when I was old enough to remember it, and I only had the cod liver oil twice, as it umm, unsettled my tummy ( I had bought vitamin drops instead)
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » July 12th, 2017, 6:43 am

To add some items to the list

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/foodanddrink/f ... p#image=26

I have never seen some of the USA items

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 12th, 2017, 7:09 am

I used to be given raw egg whisked into milk with sugar, and nutmeg on top. Pre-Edwina years, obviously.

I also had raw egg whisked in orange juice. It used to froth up nicely...

Ice cream sodas, as we called them. I think my mother thought she had invented them. My friends loved them - ice cream dollop in a fizzy drink, fizzing and frothing. Perhaps my mother did invent the, (but so did someone else.) We didn't have fizzy drinks often though so I imagine she read it somewhere.

For any other 70s children, have you read The Trouble with Sheep and Goats? Every other sentence has a nostalgic reference, frequently food related. I can't decide whether this is indulgent or not on the part of the author. And I wonder what it's like to read it and not get the references. Does it still work as a book?
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » July 12th, 2017, 7:14 am

Herbidacious wrote:Ice cream sodas, as we called them. I think my mother thought she had invented them. My friends loved them - ice cream dollop in a fizzy drink, fizzing and frothing. Perhaps my mother did invent the, (but so did someone else.) We didn't have fizzy drinks often though so I imagine she read it somewhere.

My grandmother made them for us. She bought bottles of Cream Soda, probably R Whites. This would have been in the late 50s/early 60s

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 12th, 2017, 7:21 am

We used to think ice cream floats with cola were such a treat as Mum wouldn't have fizzy drinks in the house when we were kids. Tthey were lovely.

Remember those little bottles of milk in infant and junior school which the milkman had left in the sun to get smelly and warm in crates. I could have easily be sick every morning break! :sprout:
I still miss my cats...loads
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 12th, 2017, 8:24 am

cyprusmoira wrote:To add some items to the list

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/foodanddrink/f ... p#image=26

I have never seen some of the USA items

Moira

I remember Froot Loops, with the toucan
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 12th, 2017, 11:27 am

My grandmother made fabulous ice cream sodas with real fruit syrups. She learned to make them in Italy and had the tall glasses and Italian long spoons to serve them.

Does anyone remember the ice cream soda stall on the ground floor of Selfridges circa 1965? They were lovely, why on earth did they do away with it? I was so disappointed when it closed.

Welfare orange wasn't means tested in the 1950's - I think it was available to pre-school aged children as I don't remember having it after we moved house when I was 4. I loved it. When I had my first baby in 1970 they gave the same orange to expectant mums! I was delighted! We also had vouchers for an extra pint of milk a day. That had all gone by my second in 1976.

Loving reading all the memories. We had a village shop in the '60's and so saw and tried a lot of new processed or convenience foods as they came in and also already everyday products diversified. I particularly remember when flavoured crisps were gradually introduced, starting with cheese and onion, Tree Top squashes (because I loved the shape of the bottle), Cremola foam, Heinz baked beans with sausages, curried beans and many more ... they seemed so modern and innovative!

I do remember the jelly whipped with evap. :chops: . We called it Jelly Cream .. but didn't have it until the very late '60's in Australia.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 12th, 2017, 11:31 am

Many on the link I have heard of but never tried. Things like Pop Tarts and Lucky Charms if I think of them make my teeth hurt. I do love a blue coloured raspberry Slush Puppy though.

Berni Inns were always a treat, as were Harvester and their salad bars. I was about 13 when a McDonald's first opened in my home town. Mum took me and Sis for the day! We were so excited. I had Big Mac. Never to be had again!
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 12th, 2017, 11:39 am

Mum used to give us both 10p a day for sweets in our 'little shops' on the way to school. Inside the door was a wooden cabinet with compartments and a glass front containing a multitude of sweets. This was 1970's and there were half pennies then. Sister would get 20 x half penny sweets. I used to like the chocolates shaped like DIY tools for 3p each cheap and horrible chocolate probably but good at the time. Three of those and an aniseed ball all served in little paper bags which the shop keeper would shake, flip over a couple of times and then twiddle the corners to seal the bag.
Last edited by TeresaFoodie on July 12th, 2017, 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 12th, 2017, 11:39 am

earthmaiden wrote:I do remember the jelly whipped with evap. . We called it Jelly Cream

We had that at school, always strawberry, we called it Pink Fluff. It was better at school than at home, probably due to the use of a catering heavy duty mixer

I'd forgotten Tree Top, loved it and the Indian club shaped bottle
And before that Idris, which came with a cork way into the sixties
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 12th, 2017, 11:42 am

Ha ha Tezza! I always dreamed of being allowed into a Wimpy Bar - it was the plastic tomatoes full of sauce on each table that really attracted me as I gazed longingly through the windows whenever we passed a branch. I was sure that the things they sold called burgers would be delicious. My parents never gave in, we did eat sometimes eat chips in Yarmouth market place (but only when we had time to wait before the bus and it was dark) but never went to Wimpy :cry: .
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 12th, 2017, 1:02 pm

I was on a 6p a week pocket money in 1973. My mother would have been mortified if I had spent it all on ha'penny sweets :) I am sure some of it went on that though. I can visualize them all laid out in little trays. White mice, black jacks, fruit salads, chocolate cigarettes...

I always longed to go to Wimpy too, but it was deemed to expensive.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 12th, 2017, 1:10 pm

Ah, em, my Dad occasionally took me into a Wimpy bar when out and about, such as going to the zoo
The reason for this was that one of his commuting chums was the Public Health Inspector, who told him Wimpy had this wonderful American innovation, formal hygiene training for the staff :o , so it was a safer place for a father and daughter with delicate stomachs (and not really expensive either)
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 12th, 2017, 1:34 pm

I too did not venture into a Wimpy bar and I have only once in my life been into a Macdos. Tha and earned for good behavious and effortt was a promise at the end of term to my naughtiest kids. When we used to travel with our two when quite small, from Newcastle to Dover to catch the ferry, we used to have a promised stop at a Happy Eater on the A2 as a reward for not killing each other en route. As far as I can remember it was just about passable and the loos were clean :lol: :lol:
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 12th, 2017, 2:02 pm

I don't think Dad ever had a burger, they did a version of sausage egg and chips, the chips were good
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 12th, 2017, 6:15 pm

We had a Wimpy in our home town too for as far back as I can remember. It was very novel having such food served up on plates with napkins at proper diner style little alcove areas. And their banana splits at the time were glorious. It is probably a Starburger now if the shop still exists. I wonder if Wimpy reinvented itself as Starburger as W seemed to die out at around the same time SB seemed to spring up.
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 12th, 2017, 7:19 pm

StokeySue wrote:
icelesley wrote:When we had tinned salmon my Mum used to put vinegar in the salmon and mash it up :sprout: i didn't eat salmon for years.

My auntie Ethel used to do that
The vinegar (Sarson's) lived in a little pressed glass cruet in the side board

My mum did that too, I think she inherited this from her mum, but I liked it ;) She also inherited putting currents in the YP's with the roast on Sunday :? When we visited Nanny Smith, my sister and I looked forward to 'buppy sugar' (white bread and butter liberally sprinkled with sugar), and a cup of tea in bed. Also when we were staying, my Uncle Fred would treat us to ice cream soda when the ice cream man came round. A glass of Cream Soda, topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream :chops:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 12th, 2017, 7:27 pm

cyprusmoira wrote:
Herbidacious wrote:Ice cream sodas, as we called them. I think my mother thought she had invented them. My friends loved them - ice cream dollop in a fizzy drink, fizzing and frothing. Perhaps my mother did invent the, (but so did someone else.) We didn't have fizzy drinks often though so I imagine she read it somewhere.

My grandmother made them for us. She bought bottles of Cream Soda, probably R Whites. This would have been in the late 50s/early 60s

Moira

Yes, probably similar date Moira, I mention Ice cream soda in my post above and that would have been in the 50's ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 12th, 2017, 7:32 pm

Another person in the buppy camp Patsy! Yay! I wonder where that phrase came from? Not food or drink for me but for my Great Grandmother Connie's little dog Kim. Think she was a JRT. When we visited Connie and her husband and dog in Battersea (not that it has anything to do with it but they were the only neighbours in the street still with an outside loo!) she would make everyone a pot of tea and get the best tea set out and from her blown on and cooled down slightly china tea cup of tea she would pour a saucer full out for Kim who lapped it up!
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 12th, 2017, 7:34 pm

TeresaFoodie wrote:........she would pour a saucer full out for Kim who lapped it up!

My Nanny Smith would pour tea from her cup into the saucer and sip it herself :o :lol: 8-)
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 12th, 2017, 7:47 pm

Ah bless Nanny Smith! I guess where some of us blow on the tea to obtain coolth she poured into a smaller vessel! She obviously knew what she was doing! :lol:

Talking of blowing on hot food or drink for coolth, my family soon noticed that my Nan would always blow quite considerably on any hot edibles, and then somebody said 'why do you blow on cool puddings too?' Already cold! Habit I suppose! :luv:
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 12th, 2017, 9:54 pm

When I was little Mrs Green next door had an Old English Sheep Dog called Roger-Dog who lived in an outside kennel
Every morning she'd make a pot of tea, pour some into a saucer (milk and sugar of course) and take it out to Roger, saying "here you are me old tulip, here's you tea and a bit of bread and butter"
I might have forgotten l but my Dad did the impression for years
My cat used to sleep tucked under Roger's chin, which I do remember
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 12th, 2017, 10:22 pm

Ah, cat under Roger's chin, that sounds so cute!
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Rainbow » July 12th, 2017, 11:26 pm

StokeySue wrote:Ah, em, my Dad occasionally took me into a Wimpy bar when out and about, such as going to the zoo
The reason for this was that one of his commuting chums was the Public Health Inspector, who told him Wimpy had this wonderful American innovation, formal hygiene training for the staff :o , so it was a safer place for a father and daughter with delicate stomachs (and not really expensive either)

I do remember going into a Wimpy bar in London, but then it got the reputation for being a pick-up joint for prostitutes who wanted to get off the street. I didn't go there after that :shock:
Rainbow
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 13th, 2017, 10:45 am

StokeySue wrote: (and not really expensive either)

My parents thought it was! And it wasn't a lie made up because they didn't like the food (which they probably didn't) as they used to take me to a cut price version on Sheaf Market In Sheffield. Of course it wasn't the same...! Mind you we had a family meal out once a year (Bernie Inn or a couple of years, a little restaurant in Hathersage) and maybe en route to Bridlington in the Little Chef. Ah the height of sophistication...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » July 13th, 2017, 11:29 am

drinking from saucers (and saucers were deeper when tea was introduced to the west) - a common way to drink hot tea in times past - probably died out due to people drinking, more and more, from mugs.
i can remember seeing my paternal grandparents, and my dad, do it once or twice.
i was often offered a 'dish of tea' by patients even if it came in a mug. the traditional way of describing it was still in cornwall in the eighties.
scullion
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 13th, 2017, 11:52 am

I only once had an ice cream soda. Not that they were frobidden but I absolutely hated it. The idea of the ice cream melting and making the soda milky :sprout: It's like milk in coffee or evaporated milk on tinned fruit.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Previous

Return to The Coffee Shop