I have a microwave!

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

I have a microwave!

Postby Monnikka » July 8th, 2017, 1:41 pm

Quite excited but OH is expecting me to dish up only ready-meals from now on in :shock:

I am hoping someone among you will be willing and able to give some ideas for egg-free vegetarian meals for two, please.

It's a Panasonic NN-E28 1MM

Waiting with interest.
Monnikka
Registered

Re: I have a microwave!

Postby Pepper Pig » July 8th, 2017, 2:10 pm

No help here I'm afraid. The kids use it mostly and the OH uses it to warm up his cold coffee or tea.I used to make Delia's cheese sauce in it but I'm not really a fan. Sorry.
Last edited by Pepper Pig on July 9th, 2017, 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Catherine » July 8th, 2017, 2:14 pm

Catherine
Registered

Postby cooksalot » July 8th, 2017, 2:17 pm

I use mine to warm up milk for the coffee. Not much else apart from the odd ready meal. It's a shame really as it takes up quite a bit of space on the worktop! It came with a recipe book but I've never used it. I'm curious how much others use theirs.
cooksalot
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 8th, 2017, 2:58 pm

I use mine a lot
Seldom to cook a whole meal or dish, but for:-

Reheating (ready meals but mainly home made)
Defrosting
Cooking some veg, in a microwave steamer in which I also cook small amounts of rice (large amounts I cook on the stove, but small amounts seem to do better in the microwave)
Warming lemons and limes to extract juice
Odd bits of prep like melting butter or choc, or heating milk or hot stock for risotto
Porridge
I cook fish in it often too
I have used it for "sauteing" onions, very quick and easy way to get a lot of soft onion
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Kacey » July 8th, 2017, 4:43 pm

I wouldn't be without mine - in fact we moved house on Wednesday and chucked our old one away and got a replacement yesterday. I use it mostly for OH's porridge every weekday morning and warming the tea pot before making a pot of tea (we're old fashioned in our house and still make pots with leaf tea). It also gets used for defrosting and warming things up.

Don't do much actual cooking in it I must admit, though I use it to start off baked potatoes if I'm short of time. I love those big bags of pre-washed spinach that you can just bodge a hole in and shove in the microwave. Also good for cooking whole aubergines when you want the cooked flesh for a curry dish.

In my past life I found them perfect for cooking fish.
Kacey
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 8th, 2017, 4:56 pm

Happy new purchase Monnikka!

I had a microwave until a few years ago when it broke and I dumped it and never replaced it because I wasn't using it enough to warrant the space on the worktop.

As already said, jacket potatoes. Stick the main oven on, ten minutes in the microwave to soften then in the oven to crisp. Invaluable for that! But whole meals I have no idea.
I miss my cats
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Monnikka » July 8th, 2017, 5:18 pm

Brilliant! Thank you all, some good ideas. Please keep them coming.
Monnikka
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 8th, 2017, 5:32 pm

As Sue says, porridge (takes 5 minutes, but make sure you use a large enough bowl), scrambled eggs, melting chocolate and butter, sterilising a jars for jam making, heating liquids (2 mins for my milk drink) rice (no quicker, but no hassle in a special rice steamer) also steaming veg - you can buy steamer bags. I must use mine every day. I found a lovely almond croissant in mine yesterday, forgot I had put it there the day before to keep flies away ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » July 8th, 2017, 5:56 pm

TeresaFoodie wrote:Happy new purchase Monnikka!

As already said, jacket potatoes. Stick the main oven on, ten minutes in the microwave to soften then in the oven to crisp. Invaluable for that! But whole meals I have no idea.

What? :o :o :o 6 minutes in the microwave and they are done.
Last edited by Pepper Pig on July 8th, 2017, 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 8th, 2017, 6:04 pm

Fish is perfect in the MW and scrambled eggs. Warming ready meals are good too. Baked pots or pre cooking for chips or fried...
re-warming cups of T or coffee gone cool...

sorry did not see egg free.....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » July 8th, 2017, 6:13 pm

Am I the only person in the world that loathes microwaved scrambled eggs?
(And trying to clean the hard-on mess that is all over the cooking dish afterwards).

My scrambled eggs have to be soft, creamy, buttery and sexy. :luv: . And they absolutely have to be done in a non-stick saucepan.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 8th, 2017, 6:29 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:Am I the only person in the world that loathes microwaved scrambled eggs?
(And trying to clean the hard-on mess that is all over the cooking dish afterwards).

My scrambled eggs have to be soft, creamy, buttery and sexy.

No, you're not - there are two more here :D :D
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » July 8th, 2017, 6:31 pm

Every time I have tried to cook porridge in the microwave it has boiled over.
I use a large bowl and cover it with pierced clingfilm.
If it doesn't get out of the bowl it has the consistency of dry wallpaper paste.
I reverted to a pan and spurtle some years ago.

What's the trick?
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Luca » July 8th, 2017, 7:15 pm

StokeySue wrote:I use mine a lot
Seldom to cook a whole meal or dish, but for:-

Reheating (ready meals but mainly home made)
Defrosting
Cooking some veg, in a microwave steamer in which I also cook small amounts of rice (large amounts I cook on the stove, but small amounts seem to do better in the microwave)
Warming lemons and limes to extract juice
Odd bits of prep like melting butter or choc, or heating milk or hot stock for risotto
Porridge
I cook fish in it often too
I have used it for "sauteing" onions, very quick and easy way to get a lot of soft onion

Timing re onions please Sue!

I use the microwave for warming up home made dishes, heating my coffee mug, first stage of baked potatoes before crisping up on bbq or in oven, heating up drinks I have made and ignored and occasionally for baked Camembert.
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby aero280 » July 8th, 2017, 7:59 pm

Yes, I do a few of those.

If we have sausages for supper, the sausages are out in the oven with some tomatoes. Jacket potatoes go in the microwave for about 8 minutes (depends on size) and then put into the oven with the other bits to crisp up. All ready at the same time.

Great for doing soup. We use a lot of the supermarket "fresh soups". Maybe more than we should...

Veg is great in the microwave. Put in a covered dish with a splash of water. The taste is much better, especially carrots.

And I also sweat down onions in the microwave. Melt chocolate and warm up limes and lemons... :)
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby StokeySue » July 8th, 2017, 8:15 pm

WWordsworth wrote:Every time I have tried to cook porridge in the microwave it has boiled over.

You shouldn't cover it!
It does help to use the sachets of microwave oats which have lecithin to reduce foaming, but not essential, I've used various kinds of oats

l
Pepper Pig wrote:Am I the only person in the world that loathes microwaved scrambled eggs?

I gave up doing microwave scrambled eggs. I'd ignore any recipe that tells you to stir frequently, less effort to use the hob

Luca wrote:Timing re onions please Sue!

Sorry, until done!

And I think that's my top tip :D :D
For some reason, perhaps because they can only be used via a timer, people seem to think all microwave recipes and all methods have a defined time and if it doesn't work you've done something wrong
As much utter rubbish with a microwave as with any form of cooking, use you sense of smell and look at the food just as you would if not microwaving. It is probably more reproducible than stove cooking, so one measure of basmati in a steamer will always take the same time, as long as you continue to use the same measure, steamer, rice, and microwave. Change any one and the time may vary a little.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby smitch » July 8th, 2017, 8:55 pm

I always make porridge in the microwave. 40g of oats and 250ml of milk. 2 mins on high, stir, back in for 2 mins. Never cover it and make it in a large bowl.
smitch
Registered

Postby Catherine » July 8th, 2017, 11:40 pm

A salmon fillet done in the microwave literally takes about 2 minutes and is perfectly cooked. Sorry, I know it OP was for vegetarian meals.
Catherine
Registered

Postby cooksalot » July 9th, 2017, 8:17 am

My scrambled eggs have to be soft, creamy, buttery and sexy. :luv: . And they absolutely have to be done in a non-stick saucepan.

With you on all these points! Any time I've tasted microwaved scrambled eggs they have reminded me of mangled cardboard....
cooksalot
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 9th, 2017, 8:21 am

I think you can make decent microwave scrambled eggs, but you have to keep taking them out and stirring them, takes longer and more stress than doing them properly, so pointless (unless you've run out of gas)
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 9th, 2017, 11:28 am

I also like mine creamy and buttery. I do mine in a glass jug, melting the butter first, add the eggs and whip them with a fork then cook in 30 second bursts, each time giving them another beat with a fork ... when texture is to my liking, they easily plop out of the glass jug and minimum washing up .....
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 9th, 2017, 11:35 am

WWordsworth wrote:Every time I have tried to cook porridge in the microwave it has boiled over.
If it doesn't get out of the bowl it has the consistency of dry wallpaper paste.
I reverted to a pan and spurtle some years ago.

What's the trick?

I measure my oats into my bowl (this was bought from Ireland as an Irish stew bowl); cover with milk (or water to taste) cook on high for 5 minutes, add more milk if required and/or sugar ... the secret might be to have a bowl with a large surface area ..mine is 23cm (9ins) diameter x 7cms (3ins) high; also to measure out the oats. 30g is plenty for 1 helping.
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 9th, 2017, 1:15 pm

I use my MW for quite a lot of things including fish, steamed veg and the usual melting and softening, part cooking jacket potato es to be finished in the oven, but scrambled egg - :sprout:

Mine get made in a double boiler and are no speedy but a perfect scrambled egg is a wondrous thing.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Kacey » July 9th, 2017, 2:02 pm

I start OH's porridge the night before - oats in the bowl, with cold milk,cover and leave to stand overnight. Next morning, 1 minute on high and stir, a second minute on high and its done!
Kacey
Registered

Postby Monnikka » July 9th, 2017, 5:28 pm

So far all I've cooked in the microwave is Bolognese sauce. OH baked a couple of potatoes. Not bad!
Monnikka
Registered

Postby aero280 » July 9th, 2017, 9:30 pm

You can do meringues in a microwave. You need to keep an eye on them through the door.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby earthmaiden » July 9th, 2017, 9:48 pm

I love using the microwave for buttery scrambled egg. I find it so much easier to wash up a bowl than a metal pan (I haven't got a suitable non-stick one).

The secret is to set it on half power so that it doesn't heat up too quickly - and to use lots of butter of course! I can get it just as good as stovetop scrambled egg but it does need watching and removing from the microwave regularly for a stir - and before it has set to the desired consistency at the end as it will go on cooking.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » July 10th, 2017, 2:17 am

Pepper Pig wrote:My scrambled eggs have to be soft, creamy, buttery and sexy. . And they absolutely have to be done in a non-stick saucepan.

A woman after my own heart, PP :D :D
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » July 10th, 2017, 2:18 am

And I should also add that doing scrambled eggs in a pan probably takes less than half the time it takes in a Microzapper!
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Monnikka » July 17th, 2017, 1:24 pm

OH now makes his breakfast scrambled eggs in the microwave and declares them delish!
Monnikka
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 17th, 2017, 7:08 pm

On reading this I just remembered I used to do perfect scrambled eggs in my microwave. I had a jug specifically for this job as they did use to get glued inside and no matter how hard you scrubbed you couldn't get shot, plus the scourer would get horribly eggy. It always seemed easier than cooking on the hob for some reason!
I miss my cats
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop